Author Topic: No clothes shopping - ALL YEAR LONG 2017  (Read 4613 times)

ABK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: No clothes shopping - June 2017
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2017, 10:55:02 AM »
I did have to buy one item this month - I'm on a sports team and I needed to buy a team jersey for races. But besides that we've been continuing to purge our closets rather than fill them. I'm also on a sabbatical until the end of the year so I won't need anything new until at least January.

haypug16

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2017, 08:23:13 AM »
I made it through June and so far July is looking good too. Though I am tempted with my new job to buy a few new work outfits!!! I will try to resist.

RetirementInvestingToday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Retirement Investing Today
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2017, 01:58:41 PM »
Great idea for a thread.  So much money is wasted on 'throw away' clothing here in the UK.  This month I ended up having to buy a new pair of shoes.  My last clothes purchase was Jan 2015 so I managed 2.5 years without making a clothes purchase.  I'm happy with that.
44 years of age, UK based (for now) and FI.  Trying to now gather the courage to FIRE. A lot more detail on my blog http://www.retirementinvestingtoday.com/

Bella78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2017, 08:35:26 AM »
After cleaning out and reorganizing my closet a couple of weeks ago, I have realized I have enough clothes.  I told my SO that I am going to try to not buy any clothes between now and the end of the year.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2017, 06:59:11 AM »
A bit late, but I'm in.

I've said that before but I'm really going to do it this time for this year and will see for next year because I'm sure I can go longer.

I've been buying too much clothes the last months and I really really don't need more. I added to my wardrobe and  also  whittled it down to a good amount and what I really like and wear so I really wear at least 90% of my wardrobe occasionally or at least seasonally except for some special wear things but I don't need to add more.

Will be good to have some accountability.

Juslookin

• Bristles
Re: No clothes shopping - ALL YEAR LONG 2017
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2017, 06:05:55 AM »
Hello everybody OP here. I changed the title......to ALL YEAR LONG!

We were doing this gauntlet a month at a time originally, but look, we're more than halfway there we totally got this!

So I have been crazy busy and haven't been around to check in.  I had foot surgery which left me on crutches and immobile for awhile.  That meant I couldn't go to the mall, but it also meant that I had a lot of crazy free time on the internet to shop.  I am happy to say that I didn't.  I did however binge watch the entire run of Downton Abbey (which I highly recommend). 

Before my foot surgery I had a vacation planned and I did buy two pairs of shorts to fill in an obvious gap in my wardrobe.   The point for me of the no shopping year was obviously not to shop.  However, its become something more for me.  The point for me is to be a thoughtful consumer.  I used to throw things into my online cart without a care, it didn't matter if I needed it, I wanted it, I deserved it and my life would be so great if I had it.

The no shopping challenge has made me learn more things than just don't buy stuff.  I don't need new clothes to feel strong and powerful in a meeting, or cute and fun with friends. I use what I have, mix and match, play with patterns, colors and accessories and I'm still the same person I always was.

So the bottom line for me more than halfway through is I have bought a few things.  Things I considered, went out to find, bought and went home. I think a new white shirt and a pair of running shoes were two of my other purchases for the year so far.  So some people might say that I failed, but hey, this is my life and my rules and I think I won. 

How about you?  Are you winning this year too?

137 days until the end of the year!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:10:09 AM by Juslookin »

TartanTallulah

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2017, 07:28:49 AM »
I wondered how I'd managed to miss this thread and why it looked so familiar. Thanks for changing the title :-)

I'm still very much in despite having gained weight over the past 8 weeks (too much work, too many hours spent at my desk, too much lazy food, too little exercise, roll on retirement or at least not being short-handed at work any more) and getting to the point at which I'm having to choose clothes from the generous-sized end of my wardrobe. I'll wear the few things that fit me until they're rags rather than buy any more. The surplus weight will come off again when the pressure is off at work. It always does.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2017, 08:44:24 AM »
  The point for me of the no shopping year was obviously not to shop.  However, its become something more for me.  The point for me is to be a thoughtful consumer.  I used to throw things into my online cart without a care, it didn't matter if I needed it, I wanted it, I deserved it and my life would be so great if I had it.

The no shopping challenge has made me learn more things than just don't buy stuff.  I don't need new clothes to feel strong and powerful in a meeting, or cute and fun with friends. I use what I have, mix and match, play with patterns, colors and accessories and I'm still the same person I always was.

I totally agree. I think this is more about not conscious shopping. Not buying non-essentials. It's not about suffering.

I read this blog and think it may be nice for some people here as well. These blog posts are about a shopping ban in general and not only clothes. It is all about not buying non-essentials though. I thought it was a good read. The thing with me is, that I'm pretty good at not buying non-essentials in every other area but clothes. Ofcourse I can buy essentials but the thing is, is the thing I want to buy really essential.

The Ultimate Shopping Ban Guide: Part 1 - how to start a shopping ban
http://caitflanders.com/2016/01/18/how-to-start-shopping-ban/

The Ultimate Shopping Ban Guide: Part 2 - how to complete a shopping ban
http://caitflanders.com/2016/01/25/how-to-complete-shopping-ban/

I also made a quotes list for myself from blogs I read and thought it might be nice to share it here. I'm sorry that I don't know the sources anymore (some quotes are from the blog posts linked above).

- if I had so much fear around it, there must be something important to explore, right?
- It was the attitude change that made the most difference: looking through my things and realizing I already had enough—that I didn’t have to rush out and buy something new to fill a hole or a need—let me breathe again. It was relaxing and reassuring to know what I had was okay. What you are is already good enough.
- That [insert garment] will not change your life
- Soon, transferring cash into my savings account was giving me a bigger buzz than any purchase ever had and it kick-started a savings habit I still abide by today.
- There's more to life than clothes. Removing the exhausting rollercoaster of want-want-want followed by the inevitable buyers remorse has been liberating. No longer being a weapon of massive consumption (credit to the literary great Lily Allen for the pun) has freed up both my time and money. Now that my self-imposed shopping has been lifted, every purchase I make is pre-empted with the question: do I need it? And the truth is, I really don't.
- I can be eco-conscious without having to stick to classics that will last eight years. For example, three years ago, I got a pair of kelly-green skinny jeans. I wore them virtually every time I went out, year-round (and still wear them frequently). If I had six pairs of jeans, that likely wouldn’t have happened, and I would have had to decide what to do with them in five years when they were no longer stylish. This way, they’ll likely be holey and worn out before I have to worry about that.
- I needed to disabuse myself of the notion that clothes shopping is a hobby. It’s not. I needed to transform my conception of clothes shopping into what it really is: a means to procure the threads we need to cover our little human bodies.
-Instead of seeing my possessions from the viewpoint of deprivation, I see the abundance of what I have. When I stepped off the carousel of consumerism and stopped trying to keep up with changing fashions, I started dressing in clothes that I enjoy wearing. I stopped wearing heels (except on rare special occasions) and I stopped wearing tight, itchy, or otherwise uncomfortable outfits. What’s the point?
- I’ve radically changed my perspective from one of self-centered greed to one of acceptance for the imperfections in my life and gratitude for everything I’m blessed to have.
- breaking a bad habit isn’t easy. And when you try to break a bad habit, you will inevitably come up against triggers that will open your eyes and even knock your socks off. You may realize things about yourself that were always present but hid securely behind your spending power. And if you do a ban for long enough, I bet you’ll become more resourceful than you knew you could be. I want you to get to that point. I don’t want any of the what-if situations to hold you back or cause you to relapse or even give up on your shopping ban altogether. I want you to push through each and every one, so you can discover more about yourself and find creative ways to get through this world without pulling out your credit cards. Your goals might be to spend less, save more money in general, save for something specific, use up the stockpile of stuff you already have or simply become a more conscious consumer. My goal with this two-part series is to help you get organized and push through all the what-if situations, so you can reach your goal – whatever it may be.
- Finally, as time goes on, you’ll start to feel grateful for everything that is currently in your life. From the clothes in your closet to the books on your shelves, using what you keep will serve as a reminder that money has already bought you everything you need. Your relationships, and the happiness and health of family and friends, will take top priority. And if you’re lucky enough to live somewhere even half as beautiful as where I live, a walk outside will go a long way to brighten your day.

Bateaux

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2017, 06:00:01 PM »
I've only bought socks.  Just socks.  Oh and new biking gloves.  Dat's it.
“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
 ― Antoine de Saint Exupery-

Class of 2019