Author Topic: Mustachian Transportation 2019  (Read 379 times)

Boofinator

• Bristles
Mustachian Transportation 2019
« on: January 15, 2019, 03:13:04 PM »
Are you faced each day with an option of taking either a Mustachian or non-Mustachian mode of transportation to work? If so, would you consider holding yourself accountable to some arbitrary goal toward maximizing your Mustachian travel this year? If yes, preselect a minimal target percentage you'd like to travel Mustachianly this year, and update monthly to hold yourself accountable.

Boofinator

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian Transportation 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 03:13:22 PM »
I'll begin. At my previous job, Mustachian travel was relatively easy, and close to 100%. Not so much at my new job, as it takes a considerably longer amount of time in the morning and evening (though still very much worth it). On top of this, some days I need to be home earlier, so 100% is not even an option due to potential evening family activities. I'm going to set my target at 70% Mustachian rides.

Target: 70%
Jan 15: 86% (6/7)

Boofinator

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 09:46:51 AM »
Well, my gauntlet collects dust here in an ignored corner of the forum. Maybe this will serve as my personal transportation journal....

Target: 70%
Jan 31: 94% (17/18)
Total:   94% (17/18)

I expect things to start creeping down toward my target as kids' sports begin to ramp up and I need to be home earlier. That being said, I estimate the additional costs of choosing the non-Mustachian option as about $15 per day, equating to roughly $250 saved this month (or $350 pre-tax, which equates to about a day's worth of work).

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 09:33:06 PM »
This was my goal last year!

This year however, I made it easy on myself and gave my car away, ha. So now my Mustachian transportation choices are more about where in the city I need to travel -- either by transit or by bike. I have about an hour commute each way by bike and 70-90 minutes by transit depending on the time of day. Summertime is much shorter by bike and was actually shorter than by car (10 miles but dedicated bike lanes and trails keep me out of traffic).

I hope you do keep posting here as a log of sorts, I really like your analysis so far!

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 07:21:03 AM »
Nope.

I don't live in a place where there is any public transportation.  My job requires a car to travel to customers, so that's what I do.  Not everyone can get on a bike and ride from home to their job 100 yards down the street.

Boofinator

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 08:12:43 AM »
This was my goal last year!

This year however, I made it easy on myself and gave my car away, ha. So now my Mustachian transportation choices are more about where in the city I need to travel -- either by transit or by bike. I have about an hour commute each way by bike and 70-90 minutes by transit depending on the time of day. Summertime is much shorter by bike and was actually shorter than by car (10 miles but dedicated bike lanes and trails keep me out of traffic).

I hope you do keep posting here as a log of sorts, I really like your analysis so far!

Wow, props for giving your car away, and congrats for being a hundred-percenter on this challenge! Curious as to why summertime results in a significantly shorter commute than the rest of the year (daylight hours?).

Boofinator

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 08:16:30 AM »
Nope.

I don't live in a place where there is any public transportation.  My job requires a car to travel to customers, so that's what I do.  Not everyone can get on a bike and ride from home to their job 100 yards down the street.

Understood. Not every challenge is appropriate for everyone, and I certainly understand there to be jobs that require having personal transportation available at all times.

To counteract just one assumption though, I know of literally zero people who live within 100 yards of their workplace. Living this close, it wouldn't even be worth it to break out the bike, as it would probably be faster just to walk.

Sugaree

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 08:19:01 AM »
I've been signed up for a vanpool since November.  Work will almost fully subsidize the cost, I just haven't been placed on one yet.  I don't think many people know about it.  Right now, it doesn't make much sense to do it anyway since I'd be unable to work OT and be on the van.  I'd save ~$200 in gas each month, but give up ~$800 in pay.  But as soon as the OT ends, I'll be back to bugging the motor pool guy every couple of days again.

Boofinator

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 08:53:54 AM »
I've been signed up for a vanpool since November.  Work will almost fully subsidize the cost, I just haven't been placed on one yet.  I don't think many people know about it.  Right now, it doesn't make much sense to do it anyway since I'd be unable to work OT and be on the van.  I'd save ~$200 in gas each month, but give up ~$800 in pay.  But as soon as the OT ends, I'll be back to bugging the motor pool guy every couple of days again.

That's quite a bit of money in gas alone, you must live pretty far from work (or drive a tank). Might it be possible to adjust your OT hours to allow for van riding most of the time? I used to be in a vanpool and work a lot of OT as well, and mostly managed by working my OT on Fridays (I was on a Mon-Thur 4x10 schedule).

Sugaree

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 09:04:57 AM »

That's quite a bit of money in gas alone, you must live pretty far from work (or drive a tank). Might it be possible to adjust your OT hours to allow for van riding most of the time? I used to be in a vanpool and work a lot of OT as well, and mostly managed by working my OT on Fridays (I was on a Mon-Thur 4x10 schedule).

It's a little of both.  I drive about 60 miles a day, round-trip and drive a Jeep.  The vanpool is my concession for driving a face-punch-worthy vehicle.  I love my Jeep.  We work a similar schedule, having every other Friday off, but TBH, TPTB make it so blasted difficult to work on off Fridays that it's just not worth it (email when we get here, email when we leave, write a detailed report on exactly what we accomplished...they weren't amused when I reported one hour to write the report).  And a lot of what I do can't really be done when my users aren't here.  So, I come in at 0500 to do any maintenance and stay until 1630 when my users   leave.  The best I've found is a vanpool that works a 4-10 schedule that would run 0600-1630 and I'd still have to drive on work Fridays.  Unfortunately, they are full right now. 

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 10:24:59 AM »
To counteract just one assumption though, I know of literally zero people who live within 100 yards of their workplace. Living this close, it wouldn't even be worth it to break out the bike, as it would probably be faster just to walk.

*waves*

I'm pretty sure I'm within 100 yards, though it might be a hair over - I haven't measured it.  I walk to a shed I turned into an office on our property (because working from the house has all sorts of problems - I'm not able to separate work and home life very well when I do that, and I can't properly focus if other people are around me).

A friend of mine owns a house literally across the street from his office - our church bought an old church building to use for training space and office space, and the house across the street came up for sale around the same time, being exactly what one of the pastors was looking for in a house.

So it happens. :)

I have about an hour commute each way by bike and 70-90 minutes by transit depending on the time of day. Summertime is much shorter by bike and was actually shorter than by car (10 miles but dedicated bike lanes and trails keep me out of traffic).

At some point, you might consider an ebike for time savings - an hour commute by bike, with even a small amount of motor assist, is about 40 minutes - and depending on how you ride, you don't end up quite as sweaty, so it might save you nearly an hour a day in transportation time, for a dime a day in power costs.

======

I obviously don't do much in the way of commute with my office, but I have been trying to be more deliberate about taking the Volt instead of my truck when I'm going places where it's possible - sometimes it involves schedule shifting a bit so my wife isn't out with the car when I want to go somewhere, and some stuff just requires the truck (either for hauling large things or when there's bad weather and both of us need to be somewhere).

I really should get an ebike back together this year, though. :/  I've been lazy about that the past few years.

Boofinator

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 11:15:05 AM »

*waves*

I'm pretty sure I'm within 100 yards, though it might be a hair over - I haven't measured it.  I walk to a shed I turned into an office on our property (because working from the house has all sorts of problems - I'm not able to separate work and home life very well when I do that, and I can't properly focus if other people are around me).

A friend of mine owns a house literally across the street from his office - our church bought an old church building to use for training space and office space, and the house across the street came up for sale around the same time, being exactly what one of the pastors was looking for in a house.

So it happens. :)

Touché. I should have exempted all of the folks who work from home (or a shed just outside their house) from that comment. Now, your pastor friend is truly living the Mustachian dream when it comes to work and home spatial optimization.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 11:56:03 AM »
I also have a friend who works across the street from her home. And yep, she walks, not rides.

Iride an ebike 3/4 of the year and my touring rig in the summer unless I need the bigger cargo capacity of my ebike :)

The biggest difference for my commute in winter is road condition and cold weather. Severe asthma means riding "easy" so I can't ride more than to the train station on my touring bike (to avoid a couple hills that are not good in very cold dry weather).

Studded tires slow me down quite a lot - on the ebike it's the equivalent of one full assist level. Road conditions can as well - for the first couple days after storms, I alter my route so I'm not competing with buses and ill-equipped cars for real estate on narrow, slippery roads. Once the roads are fully plowed I'm only slightly slower than in summer - a bit more cautious due to being bundled up, probably.

I also have the option of really great public transportation for my entire route -- it takes longer than biking but today I read part of a book and did a guided meditation for train commuters while sipping coffee :)

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 11:57:31 AM »
Touché. I should have exempted all of the folks who work from home (or a shed just outside their house) from that comment. Now, your pastor friend is truly living the Mustachian dream when it comes to work and home spatial optimization.

Eh... I'm working with him on it.  He does a really bad job of separating life from work right now, and while I understand "pastor" is one of those 24/7 oncall jobs, he needs better separation.

I'm not actually sure whose commute is shorter "door to desk" - I think it might depend on which door I go out... one of these days I'll pace it off.

Boofinator

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 01:45:33 PM »
I also have the option of really great public transportation for my entire route -- it takes longer than biking but today I read part of a book and did a guided meditation for train commuters while sipping coffee :)

So my commute is a little over a mile each way by bike and then about an hour of public transportation by bus. The major silver lining to public transportation (other than the big cost savings) is having time to actually read again, which I find hard to come by when raising children.