Author Topic: Mustachian Meditation  (Read 30701 times)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian Meditation
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2019, 08:46:49 PM »
Hello!

I'm posting to hold myself accountable, I'm suffering a lot from my mental health state and one of the things I'm for the next 33 days is to meditate, minimum 5 minutes everyday. The other things are journaling and starting therapy.

Will let you know how I'm progressing soon!

Welcome, great to have you joining us @brunetteUK!
5 minutes is a great daily goal to start with, let us know how your 33 day challenge goes :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2019, 08:56:21 PM »
@Serendip How are you doing with your meditation course?

I'm doing the course bit by bit @Linea_Norway ..sometimes using the body scan and sometimes using my Insight Timer app (I enjoy having variety) I agree, timing can be tricky.

Was visiting my family this week and didn't do much meditating while I was there however I do feel that the practice has helped me be much less defensive & reactive than in the past (oh, family!) In a way, this feels more successful to me than logging minutes or hours because it's a true, lived experience : catching my own mind rushing to tell a story or spin a yarn rather than inhabit a particular moment. Breaking these long-standing patterns is slow but really liberating. These moments are the reason I would like to continue meditating.

It feels potent to watch the mind, the patterns, feel the strong emotions and stories  (and get sometimes get caught up in them) but little by little be reminded that this too will pass.
It's like watching a summer storm.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2019, 11:57:35 AM »
I have been looking up what it costs to do a silent retreat. In my country with outrageous prices, this costs a fortune and is not quite Mustachian.

So I am thinking about an alternative. I think I should just go out on my own for a night in the forest and sleep in my hammock. After attaching a mosquito net to it. That would be free of cost. I would just need to remember to meditate often and not talk to myself, what I often do when alone.

Now I just need to think about a place that I would consider safe to do this. In the forest near my home, in a pretty crowded area, or rather near our cabin, where there live very few people, but lots of mooses. Need to think about it for a while.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 05:44:16 AM by Linea_Norway »

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2019, 01:45:09 PM »
I've tried meditation on and off several times but never stuck with it. I Tried it again earlier this year when I was training for an ultra and it was very beneficial. After the race I did not continue the practice.

So, I'm starting again. I'd like to try the https://palousemindfulness.com course but after looking it over I think I'll start with the InsightTimer and some of the beginner courses until I've got a strong habit formed.

brunetteUK

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2019, 05:10:57 AM »
I'm on day 8 and I've meditated everyday! I'm using Insight Timer as someone recommended earlier in the thread. So far I'm doing the guided meditations as I struggle a bit with doing it all by myself. But I can see some improvement already, I won't go overboard with the benefits but it does help me bring some inner peace and calm my thoughts.

Let's see how it goes!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2019, 05:49:35 AM »
I am in my fourth week of the Palouse Mindfulness course. Apart from some issues the first 2 weeks, I have been doing the excercises, bodyscan, sitting meditation or yoga. Now I have an injured hip and still do as much yoga as I manage, just skipped the parts that I can't do.

Since last week, I have lower blood pressure values. I have been measuring my BP since Easter and at times it has been really high. The last week my average has gone down and for the first time I saw green values (green is healthy, red is disastrous). Most of my values before that have been yellow or orange (in between). So I hope it is an effect of the meditation. Althoug it could in theory also haven been the result of no longer being in a period of big stress at work, like the last 2 months.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2019, 06:14:00 AM »
Day 6 for me.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2019, 12:36:08 PM »
I've tried meditation on and off several times but never stuck with it. I Tried it again earlier this year when I was training for an ultra and it was very beneficial. After the race I did not continue the practice.

So, I'm starting again. I'd like to try the https://palousemindfulness.com course but after looking it over I think I'll start with the InsightTimer and some of the beginner courses until I've got a strong habit formed.

I love Insight timer as it has so many options!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2019, 12:38:44 PM »
I'm on day 8 and I've meditated everyday! I'm using Insight Timer as someone recommended earlier in the thread. So far I'm doing the guided meditations as I struggle a bit with doing it all by myself. But I can see some improvement already, I won't go overboard with the benefits but it does help me bring some inner peace and calm my thoughts.

Let's see how it goes!

A streak is satifying--congrats!
 It's nice to settle into developing a new habit. Guided meditations are wonderful in different ways to the silent ones. Both have their place and glad you are finding some benefits :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2019, 12:45:08 PM »
@Linea_Norway --so cool to hear that your BP is lowering. Regardless of whether it's decreased work stress or increased meditation focus--either way, that's fantastic news.

I have been still moving through the course, but slowly am. I break it up in different ways but am loving all the teaching videos and resources.

My struggle in summer is to keep energy balanced when there is so much I want to do.
I woke up the other night at 2am and couldn't sleep at all until 6:30 (very, very unusual for me) but my mind was just filled with trivial little tasks (like 'bake a cake with the applesauce my mom gave me', 'clean the fan above the stairs since it's grey with dust'...small irritations but the cumulative effect was enough to disturb sleep. I did some mindful breathing, let myself write a list of things that were running through my head (about 30!) and drifted back to sleep early in the morning.

Summer is a high energy time but for someone who works with anxiety, the important thing is to keep my days (and mind) spacious and not-crammed full.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2019, 03:55:59 AM »
30 days and I'm up to 15 minutes. I've been sloppy the last couple of days and let my mind run away for to long before I notice.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2019, 06:46:35 AM »
90 Days

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2019, 09:07:27 AM »
Posting to follow.  Meditation is so incredibly valuable!  If you manage to do it consistently you will find yourself more aware during the day, with less autopilot.  Good stuff.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2019, 11:41:11 PM »
Indidnthe 8 week program before the summer vacation. During the 4 week vacation, I didn't meditate. And since I'm back, I have only done it twice. And once I really couldn't concentrate.
We are now in a period of quite some stress and a lot to do (house sale preparations). And I havn't prioritized to do meditation.

I will start up again after I quit working (in a few months).

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2019, 10:53:25 AM »
I just finished reading 10% Happier by Dan Harris. He is a Journalist and it follows his reporting, research and personal experiences into mindfulness and meditation.
There are a number of YouTube videos about the book and interviews with people in the book.

It was interesting including scientific studies of the benefits of meditation. Lot's of ideas for further study.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2019, 05:35:18 AM »
I just finished reading 10% Happier by Dan Harris. He is a Journalist and it follows his reporting, research and personal experiences into mindfulness and meditation.
There are a number of YouTube videos about the book and interviews with people in the book.

It was interesting including scientific studies of the benefits of meditation. Lot's of ideas for further study.

I just finished reading that book a couple weeks ago as well. I've started to dabble in meditation a bit as well just doing about 7 minutes a day. I would definitely like to get a bit more serious about it and make it a daily habit. Reviving this thread as well to see how everyone has been coming along and if anyone has seen some noticeable changes in their daily lives?

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2019, 06:04:40 AM »

I just finished reading that book a couple weeks ago as well. I've started to dabble in meditation a bit as well just doing about 7 minutes a day. I would definitely like to get a bit more serious about it and make it a daily habit. Reviving this thread as well to see how everyone has been coming along and if anyone has seen some noticeable changes in their daily lives?

I just passed 4 months and am up to 20 min a day. As far as changes there have been a few times where I've been able to respond rather than react and that was interesting to experience.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2019, 09:20:47 PM »
Thanks for reviving the thread @MasterStache  & @dblaace !

I have been on a reading plus walking spree and neglecting the 'sitting' practice of meditation but am very much aware of how much it benefits me.
Finished a weeklong hike recently and have been doing hour or two of walking ever since--it is meditative in nature but as the seasons turn to cooler weather I would like to resume the more formal sitting practice. Will re-install Insight Timer on my phone as (somewhat ironically), it seems to keep me accountable to myself to keep track on an app. :)

Mellow Mallow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2019, 12:48:10 AM »
I had a quick look at Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics - it's hilarious!

I think I really need to take up meditation - even if it is only for a few minutes a day. I could definitely use some of those benefits.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2019, 05:40:18 AM »
Thanks for reviving the thread @MasterStache  & @dblaace !

I have been on a reading plus walking spree and neglecting the 'sitting' practice of meditation but am very much aware of how much it benefits me.
Finished a weeklong hike recently and have been doing hour or two of walking ever since--it is meditative in nature but as the seasons turn to cooler weather I would like to resume the more formal sitting practice. Will re-install Insight Timer on my phone as (somewhat ironically), it seems to keep me accountable to myself to keep track on an app. :)

I love the cooler weather. I seem to walk more. I walked about 4 miles yesterday but really struggled to keep my mind from wondering. It was a beautiful morning and I really should have been more focused on the now and the beauty around me. I'll keep trying.

I'll be raising my sitting meditation time up to 10 minutes this week. Was doing 7 for a couple weeks but time to step it up a bit.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2019, 05:08:59 PM »

I think I really need to take up meditation - even if it is only for a few minutes a day. I could definitely use some of those benefits.

Just requested this book at the library. I had heard great things about it and listened to a funny podcast with Dan Harris about the events leading up to his very public breakdown which led to his exploration of meditation-- but totally forgot about it, so thanks for the reminder :)

Mellow Mallow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2019, 11:37:53 PM »

Just requested this book at the library. I had heard great things about it and listened to a funny podcast with Dan Harris about the events leading up to his very public breakdown which led to his exploration of meditation-- but totally forgot about it, so thanks for the reminder :)

Pleasure! My library has it too... as soon as a copy comes in, I'm snaffling it up!

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2019, 06:07:32 AM »

Much to my surprise my library had it. I put it on hold and will pick it up tomorrow at the Library book sale.

Trying to read Mindfulness for Beginners by Jon Kabat-Zinn. I'll just say I don't think it's for beginners.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2019, 02:47:17 AM »

Much to my surprise my library had it. I put it on hold and will pick it up tomorrow at the Library book sale.

Trying to read Mindfulness for Beginners by Jon Kabat-Zinn. I'll just say I don't think it's for beginners.

His 8 week free online course, Palouse mindfulness, is for beginners.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2019, 05:22:42 AM »
Just checked out Full Catastrophe Living. I've read a couple other books and have seen this one mentioned several times. I took a walk in our local park the other day. It was a gorgeous day and I plopped right down in a big open grass field and meditated. With a cool breeze blowing, sun shining down and birds chirping I felt it was much easier to stay focused.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2019, 05:18:15 AM »
@MasterStache There's an app that has all of John Kabat-Zin's recordings (as well as some other features that I don't use). It cost me about $13 CAD, but since I use it every day, I find it to be well worthwhile. The app name is JKZ Series1

I'm on round 2 of the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Program that the book outlines. I did the first course on my own last March/April and found it to be magnificent. Unfortunately, after completing the 8 weeks I gradually lost the habit and my anxiety ran rampant again. So I registered in a program (free for me through Veterans' Affairs Canada) and after a slow start where I wasn't too adherent, I'm now back in the full swing of it and am feeling great.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out. We have had a busy couple of weeks and I have not been so great about keeping up with daily meditation. Also trying to kick a caffeine habit.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2019, 05:25:20 AM »
@MasterStache There's an app that has all of John Kabat-Zin's recordings (as well as some other features that I don't use). It cost me about $13 CAD, but since I use it every day, I find it to be well worthwhile. The app name is JKZ Series1

I'm on round 2 of the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Program that the book outlines. I did the first course on my own last March/April and found it to be magnificent. Unfortunately, after completing the 8 weeks I gradually lost the habit and my anxiety ran rampant again. So I registered in a program (free for me through Veterans' Affairs Canada) and after a slow start where I wasn't too adherent, I'm now back in the full swing of it and am feeling great.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out. We have had a busy couple of weeks and I have not been so great about keeping up with daily meditation. Also trying to kick a caffeine habit.

I also haven't prioritized it after finishing the 8 week course. I did enjoy the mindful yoga most.
My plan is to start again from January when I have stopped working. I have prepared my coming paper journal for logging it.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2019, 10:37:00 AM »
Hi fellow meditators:
Hope the autumnal weather is helping you reconnect with your practice. I always feel like it's a bit easier to turn inward when it's rainy and darkish outside.

I'd been overcaffeinating as darkness takes over the majority of the day in this region, so mindfulness is helping me embrace less action, less caffeine and in turn enjoy this aspect of seasonal hibernation energy. I was reading in bed by 7:30pm the other night!

Generally I use Insight Timer app as it is free for the timer and many meditations but they offered me a half-price yearly premium subscription ($36 CAD). I tried it out and am enjoying having access to their courses but likely will just use it for the year (try to get the most out of it) and then go back to the free version.

Will try to do the online Palouse course again soon as I never fully completed it last time around.

:)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2019, 11:26:28 AM »
Hi fellow meditators:
Hope the autumnal weather is helping you reconnect with your practice. I always feel like it's a bit easier to turn inward when it's rainy and darkish outside.

I'd been overcaffeinating as darkness takes over the majority of the day in this region, so mindfulness is helping me embrace less action, less caffeine and in turn enjoy this aspect of seasonal hibernation energy. I was reading in bed by 7:30pm the other night!

Generally I use Insight Timer app as it is free for the timer and many meditations but they offered me a half-price yearly premium subscription ($36 CAD). I tried it out and am enjoying having access to their courses but likely will just use it for the year (try to get the most out of it) and then go back to the free version.

Will try to do the online Palouse course again soon as I never fully completed it last time around.

:)

After finished the Palouse course before the summer, 8 haven't meditated again. But you are right, the weather is depressing, grey, misty and rainy for weeks in a row. I think I'll do a mindfull yoga session from the website tomorrow.

I was planning to start over again on a daily basis when I stop working, in half December. In made an overview in my 2020 bullet point journal to check off that I do meditation or yoga every day. As well as being active and counting vegetarian and non alcoholic days.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2019, 02:07:19 PM »
Hi! A bit late to the game as this thread is from January, but I've also picked up some meditation lately and enjoyed looking through the resources recommended here.

I have been following MBSR classes for a while (1/week, but a bit intermittently due to scheduling issues). I always struggle to get started on something using apps and the like, so starting out with an organized course where I could actually learn and would be more committed (I paid for it, aah!) was the way to go. Now I'm actually getting to the point where I feel like doing some short meditations during my day. I've done two this week, once during some downtime at work and one today after dinner. It's still far from a daily or even regular habit, but I do like the spontaneous motivation/urge to meditate crucial for myself to be able to doing it >5 min. Usually I just sit by myself and set an alarm for 10 mins, focussing on my breath. No guides or voices.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2019, 06:04:42 AM »
Another grey Sunday, so I did a double version of mindful yoga. First time since 5 months or so, but it went reasonably well.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 11:42:27 AM by Linea_Norway »

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2019, 11:10:43 AM »
Wow, sorry to have missed this thread for so long.  I enjoy meditation but 2019 has been a bad year for my commitment to it.  In 2018, I did 100 consecutive days and typically did 12-20 minutes, and really enjoyed it.  But during the holidays and with more travel, I found it hard to keep up the consistency and it's now been many months since I've done it at all.  I want to get back at it in January (won't even bother with the holidays coming again. I find it hard to set aside the time when people are staying with us, we're traveling, so much going on).  Definitely a 2020 goal for me.

I'm super interested in getting to the "self is an illusion" point.  I don't really have stress or physical or even emotional goals I'm pursuing here, but I think the philosophical potential is fascinating.  I don't know if I can ever achieve it and it somehow (?) seems wrong to even put a goal like that on meditation - like I should just be open to whatever comes?  But, I do hope to pair my actual meditation with a lot more reading and research about consciousness and etc. in 2020.  I'd really like to participate in some kind of research on hallucinogenics ("How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan speaks a bit about how that can be like very advanced meditating), but that's a whole other topic!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2019, 11:44:53 AM »
I am now doing mindful yoga every alternate day. I will start with meditation again after newyear.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2019, 12:00:14 PM »
Just seeing this thread now, although I thought I had seen it in the past and replied--maybe I saw the subject on my phone and didn't get to reply but thought I did.  That happens sometimes. 

Anyhow, another fan of the Insight Timer app here.  Some of my favorite guided meditation teachers there (and my favorite go-to sessions of theirs) are:
Sarah Blondin (I Would Like to Give You Permission)
Tom Evans  (Just for Today  and  Snoozitation)
Andy Hobson (Rise and Shine  and  Just Got Home)
Jennifer Piercy (Yoga Nidra for Sleep)

I like this app so much that I paid for the upgrade.  They post a Daily Insight each day, with 5, 10, and 20 minute modules by different teachers daily, and the longer modules are only available with the paid subscription.  It was (I think) $30/year on sale, and worth it to me.

The app has the option of keeping stats (if you like that sort of thing), and it tells me that since November of 2017, when I started, I've had 339 days with at least one session on the app.  Some days I'll do none and some I'll do three.

I find that if I start my day with a Daily Insight 5 minute or 10 minute guided session, even half-asleep and lying down without proper posture, I am a better person for others to be around.  I enter my day with a better attitude.  I am less likely to yell at my kids as we all get ready for school and work and try to get out the door on time in the morning.

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2019, 02:04:32 PM »

I'm super interested in getting to the "self is an illusion" point.  I don't really have stress or physical or even emotional goals I'm pursuing here, but I think the philosophical potential is fascinating.  I don't know if I can ever achieve it and it somehow (?) seems wrong to even put a goal like that on meditation - like I should just be open to whatever comes?
I have been slacking a bit over the past couple of months, so I have to prioritize meditation a bit more in 2020 again. However, I find it sometimes easier to reflect on things like "non-self" (anatta) at times when I am too tired to meditate as such, but would still like to settle the mind. Impermanence is also a good one. So I look at these contemplations as alternatives to meditation. I don't target these contemplations during my breath meditation. Maybe that's an option for you, as well. 

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2019, 04:11:19 PM »
Meditation has been on my mind for a long time but I never took the time to learn it/ schedule it in my day. Have a bit experience with Headspace and liked that.
Since I have read a book by Michael Singer ( The untethered soul) and somehow from there started listening to audio books by Dr Joe Dispenza. I really like the teaching of the meditation on his book "Becoming Supernatural" but before finishing that I started listening to " Your mind is the placebo" (was written way before "Becoming Supernatural" ) and bought the "changing one belief meditation " that goes with the book. Trying to meditate daily but the voice ( or rather intonation?) seems really weird to me and I am definitely choosing the wrong time ( before bed) because I keep falling asleep ;)
I am not the sort of person to get up an hour early to meditate though.
Does anyone have experience with these meditations?

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2019, 08:57:43 PM »
I made it over 6 months but decided to give it a break. It seemed to become more of a chore than a benefit. I did start to see some benefits but it got to be just going through the motions.

I'll see how it goes and maybe try again in Jan.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2019, 11:53:08 PM »
Meditation has been on my mind for a long time but I never took the time to learn it/ schedule it in my day. Have a bit experience with Headspace and liked that.
Since I have read a book by Michael Singer ( The untethered soul) and somehow from there started listening to audio books by Dr Joe Dispenza. I really like the teaching of the meditation on his book "Becoming Supernatural" but before finishing that I started listening to " Your mind is the placebo" (was written way before "Becoming Supernatural" ) and bought the "changing one belief meditation " that goes with the book. Trying to meditate daily but the voice ( or rather intonation?) seems really weird to me and I am definitely choosing the wrong time ( before bed) because I keep falling asleep ;)
I am not the sort of person to get up an hour early to meditate though.
Does anyone have experience with these meditations?

Some meditation apps have a voice that you can experience as annoying. Just try to find another one. Inside timer has lots of different voices. I can recommend Palouse mindfulness, which you can do for free. They mention that if you keep falling asleep during meditation, you probably don't get enough sleep. But do it some other time of the day. Maybe in your car during your working day? Or earlier in the evening?

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2020, 01:49:35 PM »
Have had a hard time getting back into my routine of meditating this year. I keep finding myself at 8pm or later not having done it and needing to squeeze it in, which just feels wrong.

I recall someone advising the author of "Why Buddhism is True", I believe, about a perspective on thinking and intrusive thoughts while meditating.  They compared thoughts to trains going through the train station of your mind, and that you should feel free to just observe them in that way, and not jump on every single one.  But the author said he felt more like the trains reached out and grabbed him, not that he was jumping on them.  And this is a challenge for me lately too.  I used to have a sort of method for this to help me step back from my thoughts when they intruded, but it doesn't seem to be working much lately.  I keep finding that I think I've stepped away from my thoughts, only to suddenly notice that there is some 2nd or 3rd order narrator in my head, way deep down, that's been having a chat congratulating itself about how I'm not thinking and how would I describe this experience of not-thinking and isn't this better than yesterday when I was not doing a good job and and and

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2020, 10:25:38 AM »

I recall someone advising the author of "Why Buddhism is True", I believe, about a perspective on thinking and intrusive thoughts while meditating.  They compared thoughts to trains going through the train station of your mind, and that you should feel free to just observe them in that way, and not jump on every single one.  But the author said he felt more like the trains reached out and grabbed him, not that he was jumping on them.  And this is a challenge for me lately too.  I used to have a sort of method for this to help me step back from my thoughts when they intruded, but it doesn't seem to be working much lately.  I keep finding that I think I've stepped away from my thoughts, only to suddenly notice that there is some 2nd or 3rd order narrator in my head, way deep down, that's been having a chat congratulating itself about how I'm not thinking and how would I describe this experience of not-thinking and isn't this better than yesterday when I was not doing a good job and and and

I just finished re-reading that book @sui generis  :)

I find his breakdown of thought processes really helpful!  I also find that observing the internal chatter doesn't seem to stop it but at least it seems to give me a tiny bit of distance so that I recognize it's not all ME..it's ME lost in a swirl of modular thinking and my naturally evolved mind is just doing it's naturally evolved role.  ha.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2020, 10:35:23 AM »

I like this app so much that I paid for the upgrade.  They post a Daily Insight each day, with 5, 10, and 20 minute modules by different teachers daily, and the longer modules are only available with the paid subscription.  It was (I think) $30/year on sale, and worth it to me.

The app has the option of keeping stats (if you like that sort of thing), and it tells me that since November of 2017, when I started, I've had 339 days with at least one session on the app.  Some days I'll do none and some I'll do three.

I find that if I start my day with a Daily Insight 5 minute or 10 minute guided session, even half-asleep and lying down without proper posture, I am a better person for others to be around.  I enter my day with a better attitude.  I am less likely to yell at my kids as we all get ready for school and work and try to get out the door on time in the morning.

I'm with you on so many of these things @TVRodriguez . I often use Insight Timer in bed early morning still lying down, with a pillow over my eyes and while it might not be ideal...it helps me start the day in a more peaceful way.

Jennifer Piercy, Sarah Blondin and Andy Hobson are also favourite teachers of mine..I used to take yoga classes with Jennifer in Victoria, BC and she is a real delight in person as well.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2020, 02:03:45 PM »

I like this app so much that I paid for the upgrade.  . . .

I'm with you on so many of these things @TVRodriguez . I often use Insight Timer in bed early morning still lying down, with a pillow over my eyes and while it might not be ideal...it helps me start the day in a more peaceful way.

Jennifer Piercy, Sarah Blondin and Andy Hobson are also favourite teachers of mine..I used to take yoga classes with Jennifer in Victoria, BC and she is a real delight in person as well.

Neat!  Glad to be on the same wavelength with our "not quite ideal" meditations.

As in so many things, I find that something is better than nothing.  If it's worth doing, it's worth doing poorly.  (I think I stole that from one of the meditations on Insight Timer, come to think of it.)

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2020, 02:14:59 PM »
I am not totally sure if this is meant as a joke, but I love using this and it works well for me sometimes when I'm just SO OVER EVERYONE AND ALL THEIR BULLSHIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92i5m3tV5XY

F*ck That: An Honest Meditation
by  Jason Headley

I'm kind of thinking this is very Mustachian actually. Humor, but also still meditating.  ;)

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2020, 02:20:08 PM »
I am not totally sure if this is meant as a joke, but I love using this and it works well for me sometimes when I'm just SO OVER EVERYONE AND ALL THEIR BULLSHIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92i5m3tV5XY

F*ck That: An Honest Meditation
by  Jason Headley

I'm kind of thinking this is very Mustachian actually. Humor, but also still meditating.  ;)

Yes!  That's in my "Meditations" folder in youtube :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2020, 06:51:41 PM »

oh, I really LOVE this :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2020, 08:59:19 AM »
Due to recent stressors (and time off work with the influenza), I've picked up my meditation practice again.

It's so helpful to start the day with a grounded perspective..before I check in on email or news. Lately I've been loving Tara Brach's Loving the Goodness on Insight Timer.
6 minutes and voila, I have a more open start to the day.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2020, 09:18:26 AM »
I really like Tara Brach!  I discovered her through Palouse and think I might have to look up more of her stuff.

I'm currently in week 5 of the Palouse MBSR program.  It is helpful and I'm finding it worthwhile.  For instance, week 5 is about turning toward emotional and physical pain.  I'm finding it a bit of a challenge because atm I am very lucky in that I'm not dealing with almost any physical pain or emotional difficulties.  But, I'm trying to practice it anyway, knowing those times will come and wanting to have this as a resource to bolster resilience when they do.

But also, I was really looking into meditation for the mind-expansion, consciousness-exploring possibilities, not to relieve stress in my life.  If anyone has recommendations for meditation focused more on that and NOT on stress-relief, I'd appreciate it. I'm afraid I may need to start from scratch on Buddhist philosophy and spend the next couple decades trying to find the right threads to follow. 

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2020, 10:24:23 AM »
I really like Tara Brach!  I discovered her through Palouse and think I might have to look up more of her stuff.

I'm currently in week 5 of the Palouse MBSR program.  It is helpful and I'm finding it worthwhile.  For instance, week 5 is about turning toward emotional and physical pain.  I'm finding it a bit of a challenge because atm I am very lucky in that I'm not dealing with almost any physical pain or emotional difficulties.  But, I'm trying to practice it anyway, knowing those times will come and wanting to have this as a resource to bolster resilience when they do.

But also, I was really looking into meditation for the mind-expansion, consciousness-exploring possibilities, not to relieve stress in my life.  If anyone has recommendations for meditation focused more on that and NOT on stress-relief, I'd appreciate it. I'm afraid I may need to start from scratch on Buddhist philosophy and spend the next couple decades trying to find the right threads to follow.

Tara Brach is a long time favourite, her website is a good resource for both talks & meditations. Long before I began mediating I used to play her talks in the background while doing dishes or cleaning the house..

The book Why Buddhism is True by Robert Wright has some interesting take-aways about no-self, consciousness and more esoteric ideas/benefits of meditation. He focuses on western Buddhism &  interpretation rather than getting into deities, reincarnation so I appreciated that approach.  I'm sure there are other great ones but that book is the first resource which came to mind as I recently re-read it :)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2020, 10:33:39 AM »
The book Why Buddhism is True by Robert Wright has some interesting take-aways about no-self, consciousness and more esoteric ideas/benefits of meditation. He focuses on western Buddhism &  interpretation rather than getting into deities, reincarnation so I appreciated that approach.  I'm sure there are other great ones but that book is the first resource which came to mind as I recently re-read it :)

I really liked that book and it's definitely one of the reasons I'm pursuing meditation and interested in the philosophy.  I probably need to re-read it myself to catch more specific ideas and recs that I may have missed the first time through about two years ago.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2020, 02:48:55 PM »
Due to recent stressors (and time off work with the influenza), I've picked up my meditation practice again.

It's so helpful to start the day with a grounded perspective..before I check in on email or news. Lately I've been loving Tara Brach's Loving the Goodness on Insight Timer.
6 minutes and voila, I have a more open start to the day.

Ooh, glad to hear another recommendation to look for on Insight Timer.  Love that start to my mornings!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!