Author Topic: Mortgage Payoff Club!!  (Read 489660 times)

TomSelleckJR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Mortgage Payoff Club!!
« Reply #1750 on: October 11, 2018, 02:25:52 PM »

We're down to 87k.
It was a MAJOR mental boost to see the balance drop below 6 figures.

We are targeting payoff right around the end of 2019.

Best of luck to everyone pursuing this goal.  :-)

Megs193

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1751 on: October 12, 2018, 07:06:13 PM »

We're down to 87k.

That must feel amazing. Congrats on getting it to 5 figures!

Askel

• Stubble
« Reply #1752 on: October 13, 2018, 02:24:53 AM »
$2700 left this morning.  I'm planning my mortgage bonfire party already. 

allsummerlong

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1753 on: October 13, 2018, 11:24:13 AM »
By paying off the house I was able to instantly become stress free about income.  ....  Reduced fixed expenses also moved my FI date up significantly and lowered my sequence of returns risk.

One cautionary note:  Don't rob from your retirement to pay off your house!  ...

Totally agree, Threshkin. Needing less income in the future is a big motivator for us as well.

We have slowed down our mortgage payoff slightly to replenish our EF and other savings. We had some very unexpected expenses related to an emergency earlier this year and I was very glad to have our EF to carry us through that time.

EF is now almost fully funded again, and we continue to fully fund all our tax-advantaged accounts. Next up is getting back into extra mortgage payments.

Mortgage is currently at $36k. Estimated payoff by late 2019.

$2700 left this morning.  I'm planning my mortgage bonfire party already. 
congrats!!

We're down to 87k.

I know that boost - it feels great! Looks like we are looking at a similar time line - best of luck to you!

ozmickey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1754 on: October 24, 2018, 07:34:08 PM »
I have been following on this thread for a while but not posting.

I have just returned from the bank and made the final payment on my mortgage!

Back story - bought the house in June 2014 and within a few years both my DH and I had been retrenched (with payouts).

Thank you former corporate overlords for paying off our house.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 07:41:57 PM by ozmickey »

frizzywhiskers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1755 on: October 24, 2018, 08:13:21 PM »
Congratulations @ozmickey !  Nice work!

ender

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1756 on: October 26, 2018, 07:09:08 AM »
I realized the other day that between our current balance and mortgage payoff-fund, we're about 13% of the way to paying off our mortgage :-)

Askel

• Stubble
« Reply #1757 on: October 26, 2018, 07:14:59 AM »
Just made the second to last payment. Barring any surprises over the next two weeks, I'll be done on 11/9 (which is- oddly enough, my birthday).

Askel

• Stubble
« Reply #1758 on: November 10, 2018, 06:29:36 AM »
And done (I think), although not really feeling the high. My mortgage was pretty small, so it was more an annoyance just having that around every month more than a significant impact on the finances. 

Anyway, mortgage payoff scenarios are clearly not test cases for my mortgage company's web developers.  I was in no rush to get this done, so rather than incur any fees in getting a payoff quote, I just went to pay whatever was left on the principal and let everything sort itself out in the next billing cycle. 

Except apparently you can't pay more than 95% of your remaining principal through the web.  OK, I'll just do that. I'll owe them $40 instead of $4 next month.   (I did consider being a jerk and paying 95% over and over until I got it down to 1 cent though.)

Log in later that afternoon to see it applied as a "partial payment" and a balance due next month of -$510. Uh... OK. Call customer service, they say they'll re-apply as a principal payment and it'll need supervisor approval which takes 24-48 hours. 

Supervisor must've figured it out. Logged in this morning to a "Congratulations, your loan is fully paid off." So I guess I'm done, although my payment history is now a warzone of small, inexplicable "partial payments" and "escrow payments".  Somebody probably gets to sort that mess out on Monday. 

Happy birthday to me. 

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1759 on: November 10, 2018, 06:47:14 AM »
Happy birthday!! Our mortgage will be paid off on Monday because we moved states and DH got a promotion. But donít go congratulating me just yet because I have my eye on a shiny new one that would have a mortgage payment.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1760 on: November 13, 2018, 07:01:11 AM »
Congrats @couponvan & @Askel ! (And, happy birthday :-))

We paid off our vacation house last Friday. (Double facepunches!) It was quite a surreal feeling to walk into the bank & make that happen. The wire happened quickly & by the time I got home, logging into our mortgage website showed a "balance paid in full" screen, which was pretty great.

We considered paying down our primary mortgage (very small rate advantage), but paying off our other loan freed up cash flow that we can now apply to our primary mortgage. Additionally, it was really motivating to seeing a balance of zero,and knowing we own the asset free & clear. Versus our primary residence, where adding the same amount would have barely moved the needle. (We're in the bay area, and real estate is outrageous).

We celebrated with a bottle of champagne & leftovers. As you do! :-)

Angelhair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1761 on: November 13, 2018, 09:13:45 AM »
Just requested a payoff letter yesterday.  Our last payment will be $421.18.  Should have the letter in the next few days and I can go to the bank and transfer the money.  Then the house will be all ours!!!!!!

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1762 on: November 13, 2018, 01:08:47 PM »
Someone I don't know well but who rents made a comment to me the other day.
"You probably own your own house."

Shrugged and lied, "Well the bank does."  I wouldn't comment to most people that our place is paid off.

We technically still have a HELOC with balance approaching zero but that is all for a rental property. I am also playing in the Don't pay off your mortgage club with that loan. 

We were able to pay off our primary residence in about 6y. You Mustacian's are really the only people we can talk to about this.  ;) 

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1763 on: November 13, 2018, 06:16:56 PM »
Paid off via sale $250k is now in investments. Rent is high though at $2,500+ for a fancypants corporate apartment in VA. Our lake FIRE house in IL is paid off for when we FIRE in 4 years.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 08:32:51 AM by couponvan »

Megs193

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1764 on: November 15, 2018, 11:36:03 AM »
We made another $10,000 principal payment in addition to our regular monthly payment so our balance is down $333k. I would love to get it below $300k for a nice mental boost and Iím considering taking it out of our savings which is probably about 2 years of expenses right now. Does anyone see a downside to this?

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #1765 on: November 16, 2018, 07:51:41 AM »
We made another $10,000 principal payment in addition to our regular monthly payment so our balance is down $333k. I would love to get it below $300k for a nice mental boost and Iím considering taking it out of our savings which is probably about 2 years of expenses right now. Does anyone see a downside to this?

Keep 6 months emergency fund in savings, otherwise, go nuts!

Money Badger

• Bristles
« Reply #1766 on: November 16, 2018, 09:17:27 PM »
+1!   Every dollar you sit on in the bank beyond a 6 month emergency fund, they are loaning to some other sukka at ~5% for a 30 year ankle iron.   Either put it on the mortgage with very low risk or invest it.   Otherwise, straddling the cash financial fence is painful.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1767 on: November 19, 2018, 11:33:58 AM »

Keep 6 months emergency fund in savings, otherwise, go nuts!

Agreed! Or if you have a HELOC and can easily use your house as "springy debt" and a 1-2 month emergency fund might even be enough.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/04/22/springy-debt-instead-of-a-cash-cushion/

paulkots

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1768 on: November 27, 2018, 08:32:09 AM »
Decided to really go for it with house payments. Emergency fund won't be touched and Roth IRA will always be maxed but everything else is going towards the house. More principal was paid off in the last 2 months then the previous 18 months. Feels good seeing the number go down, stretch goal is 5 digit loan by end of 2019.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1769 on: November 27, 2018, 09:26:09 AM »

I agree with others that when you're sitting on that much cash, and aren't going to invest it otherwise, then paying off the mortgage is better than letting it sit in the bank. 
The one thing I will recommend is this:  See if your mortgage company allows for a free recast.  If so, pay down as much as you want, then have the bank re-amortize.  It will lower the required payments, but spread it out over the remaining term of the loan.  This way, you can choose to keep prepaying, or you can choose to have a payment that doesn't scare you.

I had a >$600K loan and paid it down and recast so that now my payments are small enough that I can afford them even if I only have a "regular" job (I'm currently overpaid).  Once I did that, I stopped worrying about the amount of the outstanding balance.  I have about $200k left on the loan now and I'm not in a big rush to pay it off (although I am still working to pay it off prior to retirement so that I can keep retirement expenses lower). 

dollarchaser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1770 on: November 27, 2018, 06:07:55 PM »
Congrats to everyone on their journey. The outside world just doesn't understand.

frizzywhiskers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1771 on: November 27, 2018, 08:06:29 PM »
Our mortgage was paid off in August of this year.  The last few months have been stress free and itís been great fun to be able to put more money into investments.  The unexpected has happened though where I actually miss the mortgage payoff?! Wtf!?  Ha ha!  I did not expect that, but it was our main focus for five years, so to have it just gone still feels very strange!  Iím trying to shift the excitement to reaching our FI number so hopefully that will give us a new mission to focus on! 😁. Anyway!  Interesting side effect!

Money Badger

• Bristles
« Reply #1772 on: November 27, 2018, 09:05:05 PM »
@Frizzy...  Guess "It's the journey, not the destination" or such some psychological BS of having unmet goals... 

So onward and upward... What's the number and should we look for you in the FIRE 20XX thread of choice?

frizzywhiskers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1773 on: November 28, 2018, 08:50:09 PM »
Something like that @Money Badger!  😁 I am currently hanging out in the 2021 fire cohort with ambitions to make it one less year!  We will see how it goes! Onward and upward!

Money Badger

• Bristles
« Reply #1774 on: December 07, 2018, 08:17:53 PM »
Go Frizzy, awesome to be with you in the same 2021 and done plan!   News flash is that our house closing date is set and we're through due diligence.   So God willing, the mortgage is officially gone Jan 17th PLUS we walk away with a nice check at closing for the FIRE plan.   We've also found a perfect, smaller place with a nice country farmhouse vibe, but also with biking trails literally 2 driveways down the street with easy access to the grocery stores and restaurants we like less than 1/3rd mile either way.   So if we don't grow it ourselves, we can buy it or have it served as well ;-)   Wish us luck on the usual drama of closing(s), but had to share it with you all after years working toward this!

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1775 on: December 08, 2018, 02:28:58 AM »
Go Frizzy, awesome to be with you in the same 2021 and done plan!   News flash is that our house closing date is set and we're through due diligence.   So God willing, the mortgage is officially gone Jan 17th PLUS we walk away with a nice check at closing for the FIRE plan.   We've also found a perfect, smaller place with a nice country farmhouse vibe, but also with biking trails literally 2 driveways down the street with easy access to the grocery stores and restaurants we like less than 1/3rd mile either way.   So if we don't grow it ourselves, we can buy it or have it served as well ;-)   Wish us luck on the usual drama of closing(s), but had to share it with you all after years working toward this!

Congratulations @Money Badger !  Your new place sounds perfect.  What a way to celebrate the new year!

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #1776 on: December 08, 2018, 02:44:28 AM »

Oh my god, that sounds perfect! And not a payment in the world... congratulations, you've done exceptionally well! Any ideas/dreams what your new life is going to look like?

frizzywhiskers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1777 on: December 08, 2018, 08:40:17 AM »
Congrats @Money Badger!  Mortgage free in a great new place!  Well deserved!  Look forward to hitting the home stretch with you!

AlexMar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1778 on: December 08, 2018, 10:32:41 AM »

This is awesome.  Great job!

Money Badger

• Bristles
« Reply #1779 on: December 08, 2018, 06:56:36 PM »
Thanks y'all!!   We certainly received an interesting mix of comments...  A few totally supportive from friends we respect...  But more than a few snarky remarks, particularly amusing ones from the self-absorbed spendy type neighbors (usually with 2 or more exotic cars and lots of flashy lifestyle choices) that would be worthy of the "Anti-Mustachian Hall of Fame" threads...   

Glad this contrarian MMM community exists that "Get's it" to motivate folks to follow the fiscal debt and spending discipline over time it takes to FIRE when there's so much temptation otherwise out there!

Comar

• Stubble
« Reply #1780 on: December 10, 2018, 02:52:39 AM »
40k left!

Askel

• Stubble
« Reply #1781 on: December 10, 2018, 07:36:09 PM »
Escrow surplus check received. 

And a tax bill for roughly the same amount. :/ 

It's kinda starting to feel paid off. :D 

Just need a lien release now. 

Megs193

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1782 on: December 18, 2018, 08:59:21 AM »
My major stretch goal was to get my mortgage under $300,000 this year and I just made an extra payment to get it to $299,841. I would love to be mortgage free in 2 years which is definitely possible if I keep up our current pace. We bought our house before discovering fire so our payment is $5,600 a month which makes up over 50% of our expenses so this would be an incredible mental boost.

My husband isnít currently interested in retiring early but Iím hopeful that once the mortgage is paid off it may change his mind set. I work per diem and was recently talking about switching to a higher paying job and he told me he didnít see how a more stressful job would be worth it considering we wonít have a mortgage in 2 years.  Now I just need him to apply the same logic to his own life.

talltexan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1783 on: December 18, 2018, 12:52:32 PM »
Megs-
is there some asset you'd sell to knock out your mortgage that quickly? Two years to slay $300,000 wouild require something like $13,000/monthly.

If your monthly expenses are truly in the neighborhood of $6,000, I cannot imagine why you don't think your husband is on-board with early retirement, it seems as though you've already geared your household towards a 65% savings rate.

allsummerlong

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1784 on: December 18, 2018, 12:55:34 PM »
Just updating for the end of 2018.. Down to $32,000!

We had originally hoped to pay off by Summer 2019, but that will be a stretch. Had some unexpected financial strains this year and have focussed on rebuilding our Emergency Fund (now higher than previously) and adding a little more to other savings over mortgage pre-payments. We always prioritize tax-advantaged accounts first.  I had also scaled back work to p/t for much of this year to deal with some family and health issues. Will be working more as of January + hoping to resume our mortgage prepayments!

New goal is to pay off by end of 2019, if not a little sooner. So overall, we've only been thrown off course by a few months.

Megs193

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1785 on: December 18, 2018, 02:09:26 PM »
Megs-
is there some asset you'd sell to knock out your mortgage that quickly? Two years to slay $300,000 wouild require something like $13,000/monthly.

If your monthly expenses are truly in the neighborhood of $6,000, I cannot imagine why you don't think your husband is on-board with early retirement, it seems as though you've already geared your household towards a 65% savings rate.

We do have too much money in the bank but we plan on putting about $50,000-$60,000 as a one time payment when my DH gets his bonus. We put about $8,000 extra each month. My DH has a high income but he enjoys his job and thinks he would be crazy to walk away from it. I spend a lot of time alone with our 2 kids because of his work travel and I would love to convince him to retire early.