Author Topic: Tackling the TBR pile in 2023  (Read 7100 times)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Tackling the TBR pile in 2023
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2023, 11:56:46 AM »
7) Vitamania: How Vitamins Revolutionized the Way We Think About Food by Catherine Price

I picked this up last year from the little free library in the park. It was well-written and I enjoyed it enough to pass on to my partner but it's not groundbreaking in any particular way. An interesting and sort of awful history of the vitamin and supplement industry (particularly in the US)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2023, 04:00:06 AM »
APRIL ROUNDUP
- TBR pile: 71
- In progress: 8
- Read: 34
- DNF: 6
- Added: 10 $7.68

So the biggest thing is that 5 of the In Progress pile have been with me since the start of January and they're still sitting there. I've made some progress on The Man Who Quit Money but then I got Covid and all I read was snack books.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2023, 07:48:14 PM »
MAY ROUNDUP
- TBR pile: 64
- In progress: 8
- Read: 19
- DNF: 26
- Added: 26

This month was mostly about starting and clearing out the aspirational non-fiction books from the pile. I still have a bunch but it's true that once you've read a couple of books about minimalism/personal finance/urbanism you really don't need to read another one. I also DNF-d a bunch of speculative fiction and fantasy that was more about finishing an author's complete works or that had been given to me. I've read a couple of Connie Willis but she's mostly not my jam. I don't have to keep the Doomsday Book around forever.

Recommendations:
- If you haven't read The Goblin Emperor and then the Centuries of Amalo books, they are great.
- The Extra Woman: How Marjorie Hillis Led a Generation of Women to Live Alone and Like It by Joanna Scutts is fantastic and was a much better take on the same time period and concerns than another book I read this month - The Lost Art of Dress - which was ruined by a bunch of weird body-shaming.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2023, 05:44:15 AM »
Hard to believe May is over already!

426 (April Count) -3 (Read) -1 (DNF) +3 (Added - oops) = 425 (May Count)

Currently Reading: 1
Next Up: 2 out from library

ETA: Also, I loved the Goblin Emperor! I didn't realize the author had so many other works, looks like she publishes under a few different names so I missed it. Will have to check those out. (Oh no, is that another addition to the list...? :P)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 05:47:49 AM by Raenia »

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2023, 05:44:32 AM »
I think it's really funny that you are applying minimalism principles to reading books about minimalism, @mspym!!

And I agree.  Those videos/blogs/books have become a bit of an echo chamber.

I have also been working through my list.  Giving myself freedom to say "I'm not enjoying this book and I do not wish to finish it or even dedicate one more minute to it" is HUGE.  Historically, I slog through them, but there are just so many books out there that I do not wish to waste one bit of energy on the ones that aren't enjoyable.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2023, 11:37:13 AM »
Giving myself freedom to say "I'm not enjoying this book and I do not wish to finish it or even dedicate one more minute to it" is HUGE.  Historically, I slog through them, but there are just so many books out there that I do not wish to waste one bit of energy on the ones that aren't enjoyable.

Such a great attitude! Glad you are enjoying the sweet taste of freedom in not finishing books. :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2023, 08:47:26 AM »
Giving myself freedom to say "I'm not enjoying this book and I do not wish to finish it or even dedicate one more minute to it" is HUGE.  Historically, I slog through them, but there are just so many books out there that I do not wish to waste one bit of energy on the ones that aren't enjoyable.

Such a great attitude! Glad you are enjoying the sweet taste of freedom in not finishing books. :)

I've been getting to this place too. Sometimes/rarely it's worth it to slog but most often, it's best to just move along!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2023, 02:51:39 PM »

I've been getting to this place too. Sometimes/rarely it's worth it to slog but most often, it's best to just move along!
For fiction books I let myself read the end and see if it’s worth continuing, for non-fiction I’ll check any sections that looked interesting in the index/check the summary. It’s so freeing to allow yourself to abandon books.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2023, 11:05:35 AM »
Abandoned Biofeedback and Mindfulness in Everyday Life: Practical Solutions for Improving Your Health and Performance --I like the subject but couldn't get into this book.

Will donate to the free library along with Tastemakers: Seven Immigrant Women Who Revolutioned Food in America.

So I haven't ticked any more on this challenge but at least I'm slowing whittling down the pile!

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2023, 08:51:35 AM »
I need to do this challenge too! I am at the point of needing (in the next few years) to do a major project in my condo, which will mean packing and storing a lot of my stuff. Due to some medical bills this spring I'm not in the position quite yet to get started, but I can at least start weeding out my belongings to make the eventual packing up easier...including my books. I am actually pretty picky about what comes into my place but I do acquire copies of books that aren't available in the various library systems I have access to, plus finds at charity book sales, little free libraries, etc and it's turned into quite an accumulation over the last ten years. I decided to just go down the bookshelf, and to commit to a chapter a night. If I want to read more, that's fine, but I'm making surprising progress a chapter at a time.

So far this spring, I've managed to knock out:

1. The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough, about the building of the Panama Canal. I really enjoyed the parts of this book that involved the work in Panama, especially how problems of civil engineering and public health were solved (and it was definitely interesting to read how sure the experts who were wrong were of their opinions...that was uncomfortably prescient for our own day). However, McCullough also spends a LOT of time discussing the political maneuvering in Paris and Washington D.C. that led to the building of the canal and I could have done with less of that. This book was published in 1976 and I think if it were written today there would be more discussion of the environmental and political impacts on the local population, but McCullough does spend time discussing the Black workers who were brought in from the Caribbean to do the heavy labor and how their experience was very different from the White French and American managers.

2. The Search for Shangri-La by Charles Allen, which is a mixture of travelogue and history of early Tibet. I suspect this one is a bit outdated in terms of its discussion of contemporary Tibet, since it was published in 2001 and there have been a lot of developments in that part of the world in the last 20 years. However, I did not know anything about the history of the region, and I really appreciated learning more about that part of the Silk Road.

3. Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks, which is a fictional retelling of the story of the first Native man to graduate from Harvard University in the 1660s. This one is a bit of a misdirect, because it's really the story of Bethia, the young woman who narrates the book, and who had a friendship with the young man. I can't speak to how accurate it is in terms of the way it discusses the Native people, but it's an excellent depiction of early Massachusetts. I thought the first half dragged a bit but zipped through the second half.

4. Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth, the original inspiration for the PBS series. I watched the television show for a number of seasons although I've fallen away in the last couple years. It was definitely interesting to read the source material, and I plan to read the other two books in her trilogy about working for the midwifery service. The depictions of the nuns and fellow midwives are much less warm than the TV portrayals, and there's a hint of classism that the producers took out as well. Overall, though, I recognized a lot of stories from the book that were used in the series.

I live in a fairly big condo complex, so my favorite way to dispose of read books is to leave them in our mail room for my neighbors. Most of them disappear within 48 hours, but I do occasionally have to take a stack to Goodwill.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2023, 08:40:27 PM »
And also out is American Food by Rachel Wharton. This one was fun—a collection of short essays with watercolor illustrations on different American foods, one for each letter of the alphabet. She made some unusual picks, including upside-down cake and ambrosia.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2023, 01:57:44 AM »
@Serendip nice work on tackling the pile
@Noodle Call the Midwife is definitely more classist than the TV series but also is a tremendous love letter to the NHS.

JUNE ROUNDUP
- TBR pile: 53, down from 64
- In progress: 7
- Read: 23
- DNF: 14
- Added: 18
Standouts this month were
- A Pool in the Desert which is a short story by Robin McKinley, linked to her Damar world and depicting such an accurate and tense emotionally abusive familial set-up that it was surprisingly deep for a 38-page story.
- Mortal Follies by Alexis Hall, which combines a deep-cut homage to madcap Regency rom-coms, gothic novels, Shakespeare, and the Fair Folk all in a frothy F/F romance.
- The Man Who Quite Money - which has been on my in progress pile all year, mostly because it was in a different country. Fantastic book, very different than I expected from the cover copy, gets very deeply into Suelo's religious and philosophical background and how they inform his decision to step away from anything to do with money.
- Nothing to See by Pip Adams. One of the best pieces of writing I've read. One of the themes is our discomfort and awkwardness around women who have damage and how we blame them for 'making' us feel this and punish them while denying that this is what we are doing, which is uncomfortable to sit with. Another long-standing member of the In Progress club.
- Die with Zero which my husband is now reading. A swift and necessary slap upside the head.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2023, 06:00:47 AM »
@mspym So impressed with your progress!

425 (May Count) -3 (Read) -2 (DNF) -5 (Removed duplicates/sequels) = 415 (June Count)

Currently Reading: 1
Next Up: 2 more out from library

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2023, 03:29:55 PM »
Finished The Golden Spruce...which was fantastic in my opinion.

And donated a yoga book about restorative yoga (after reading it) to a thrift store..
Not reading as much this year but am feeling okay with that too.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2023, 03:32:32 PM »

- The Man Who Quit Money - which has been on my in progress pile all year, mostly because it was in a different country. Fantastic book, very different than I expected from the cover copy, gets very deeply into Suelo's religious and philosophical background and how they inform his decision to step away from anything to do with money.

I found this online and will read--looks interesting :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2023, 01:20:45 PM »
Took many books off my list by taking them to the free library at the local park :) (Empire of Pain: Secret History of the Sackler Dynasty, Ancient Futures: Lessons from Ladakh, Women God Food, The Organized Mind, Swan Suit)

ahhh....feels nice!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 01:26:33 PM by Serendip »

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2023, 07:24:13 PM »
I took a break from my project for a bit to finish a couple of inter-library loans and go on vacation. Currently I’m working my way through Arundel by Kenneth Roberts which shows its age (it was first published in 1930) but holds up better than expected for historical fiction and just finished Minnow on the Say by Philippa Pearce from the “charming vintage English children’s book” genre.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2023, 08:46:40 PM »
Took many books off my list by taking them to the free library at the local park :) (Empire of Pain: Secret History of the Sackler Dynasty, Ancient Futures: Lessons from Ladakh, Women God Food, The Organized Mind, Swan Suit)

ahhh....feels nice!

But but but Empire of Pain was probably the best book I read last year! But it's also *so* long, I totally get why you'd give it away, I only managed it because I was on a week's holiday.

Before yesterday I hadn't even picked up a book in months because my eyes get so tired that I can't read past about 5pm. No progress on my pile.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2023, 09:42:16 PM »
I watched the Empire of Pain series instead of reading it. I think I have to get better about alternating between fun and worthy books because otherwise the worthy books pile up until they form a guilt monster.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2023, 12:11:37 PM »
@Fresh Bread @mspym --I did hear that Empire of Pain is amazing but it was sitting there haunting me! (and I initially obtained it from the free library so it felt right to return it there until I have mental space for a read like that..seems like an autumn or winter read to me).

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2023, 06:15:07 PM »
Big reading month for me, but sadly not much impact on my TBR list:

415 (June Count) -8 (Read) -1 (DNF) +7 (Added) = 413 (June Count)

Next Up: 3 requested from library

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2023, 04:20:48 PM »
@Raenia I am also treading water - I keep reading but also adding to the pile!

JULY ROUNDUP
- TBR pile: 60, up from 53
- In progress: 7 - static
- Read: 18
- DNF: 8
- Added: 20

There are only two books from the original In Progress list remaining from the start of the year: Designing Your Life and The Running Revolution. It might be time to add them to the DNF pile. I also have a Seanan McGuire book that is not grabbing me and an Elizabeth Knox that feels a bit like A.E. Bryatt who I need to be in a very specific mood to read. That time is not when I am getting reading to move countries while also proofreading a very involved Historical Family Saga.

Proofreading wipes me for Serious Reading, which is an increasing percentage of my TBR pile. I started both Saving Time by Jenny Odell and Chokepoint Capitalism by Cory Doctorow and just went "I don't think I can do this right now, and started re-reading old Julie Anne Long books instead.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2023, 08:20:03 PM »
Just finished “Father of the Bride,” by Edward Streeter, the original 1950s novel the movies are based on. Light as a feather and very charming although definitely an artifact of its time.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2023, 12:22:09 PM »
Proofreading wipes me for Serious Reading, which is an increasing percentage of my TBR pile. I started both Saving Time by Jenny Odell and Chokepoint Capitalism by Cory Doctorow and just went "I don't think I can do this right now, and started re-reading old Julie Anne Long books instead.

I enjoyed Jenny Odell's first book How to do Nothing more than her second one. It's still a decent read but I agree that you need to be in the right headspace for Serious Reads..best to go with your gut sometimes :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2023, 12:25:55 PM »
Was away almost all month and while I did some intentional reading (Covenant of Water),  I also picked up random odd free books and browsed them. A very odd one about the Camino de santiago by Shirley MacLaine (did not finish) and another spiritual one about 'awareness'...which was good for reading while beach lounging for a day and then I tossed it aside as well :)

Have made no progress on my TBR pile but autumn is a good time for that. I will likely need to assess which ones I ACTUALLY want to read and donate the rest.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2023, 06:14:30 PM »
Another month, another small dent in the list:

413 (July Count) -5 (Read) -1 (DNF) -1 (Duplicate) +2 (Added) = 408 (Aug Count)

Next Up: 2 out from the library, and another requested through ILL.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2023, 01:02:31 AM »
AUGUST ROUNDUP
- TBR pile: 56, down from 60
- In progress: 7 - static
- Read: 17
- DNF: 6
- Added: 19

- I did finally move Designing Your Life and The Running Revolution to the DNF pile.
- I read two very different Dragon High School books this month - To Shape A Dragon's Breath by Moniquill Blackgoose, which is written by a First Nations writer and has a very interesting take on dragons and colonialism but while I read the book in one big gulp, some of it felt very much Have You Tried Holding Your Hand Up and Saying NO! To Colonial Power. The second was Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros and it was super nonsense. I ate it with a spoon. It very much feels like the author went on a Naomi Novik bender and wrote Scholomance/Temeraire wattpad fanfic
- Derring-Do For Beginners by Victoria Goddard was really fun.
- I enjoyed the first Ali Hazelwood book, started to read the rest and then realised it was all the same book with different hair colours.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2023, 07:27:23 AM »
I did pretty well on the TBR in September, here's hoping I get under 400 before baby comes!

408 (August Count) -5 (Read) -3 (DNF) = 401 (Sep Count)

I know that math doesn't square up, but apparently my reading list and my TBR are not agreeing on what happened this month. I can't find the source of the discrepancy, so bad math it is. At any rate, I'll almost certainly go below 400 in October, which is exciting!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2023, 08:38:03 PM »
@Raenia I believe in you! In terms of maths, was one a re-read or were you reading it when the month ticked over? That tends to be where my numbers get thrown off.

SEPTEMBER ROUNDUP
- TBR pile: 63, up from 56
- In progress: 5, down from 7
- Read: 22 - a bunch of these were short stories/novellas
- DNF: 9
- Added: 30

BOOK THOUGHTS
- What I NEED TO DO is STOP finding an interesting author and then immediately collecting a whole bunch of their books/related works. Just read a single book and then find more if it's good.
- I abandoned The Absolute Book, Demon Copperhead - I know Kingsolver is from the regions this is set in but this just feels like rolling around in rural poverty, Chokepoint Capitalism - I'm happy with the level of understanding I have from the original article and a factually podcast interview. I don't need to read an extra 300 pages on the topic. Twice Shy has convinced me that Sarah Hogle doesn't write for me - I hated the FMC and thought she had the emotional maturity of an early teen, not a functioning adult.
- The Jessie Mihalik Consortium series are fun space-opera and I can see why SBTB rates them.
- Oldskool Anne Stuart - To Love a Dark Lord - was *terrible*. I've read some crazysauce books (Beatrice Small!) but man, I just wanted to SHAKE the FMC and get her to have a spine. You're an HEIRESS FFS! Act like it! You don't have to go be sad and small in the streets of London, contact a LAWYER and GET YO' MONEY! Also, I am unclear how the MMC still had a liver and didn't have the pox.
- I went on an Olivia Atwater bender and Small Miracles especially was a lot of fun.
- KJ Charles second Doomsday book was maybe better than the first, which is a high bar to clear.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2023, 05:58:00 AM »
I figured out where last month's math error came from - I had put a sequel on the list to remind me to request it via ILL, since it wasn't available in my library system. Since I put it at the top, it didn't have an "added date" that triggered it looking like a new addition. Oops! I've removed it for this month since the ILL request was placed.

401 (September Count) -3 (Read) -3 (DNF) -1 (Removed Sequel) = 394 (Oct Count)

So at least I succeeded in getting below 400 before baby! Should be any day now, so my reading will either spike or nosedive this month, and I don't know which. Either way, I have one started, one on deck, and a few requested from the library.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2023, 07:22:38 PM »
@Raenia I am glad you found the culprit *and* got under 400 pre-baby. You are doing GREAT>

OCTOBER ROUNDUP
- TBR pile: 60, down from 63
- In progress: 4, down from 5
- Read: 20 - I have been avoiding sorting out our house via reading instead
- DNF: 14 - went on a big bender of accepting that I wasn't going to read a bunch of Worthy Books
- Added: 31 

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2023, 10:25:06 AM »
- DNF: 14 - went on a big bender of accepting that I wasn't going to read a bunch of Worthy Books

This is a huge accomplishment.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2023, 12:20:22 PM »

This is a huge accomplishment.
Haha yesterday I accepted that while I am intellectually interested in learning about degrowth, every book I have tried to read about it makes me want to give up in despair. So that’s three more that will show up in November’s numbers! (Please don’t drown me with facts about climate change and economic inequities, I already know this, what I want to learn about is *solutions* and paths forward, please and thank you)

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2023, 04:05:23 PM »
(Please don’t drown me with facts about climate change and economic inequities, I already know this, what I want to learn about is *solutions* and paths forward, please and thank you)

Yes, exactly!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2023, 04:58:03 PM »
NOVEMBER ROUNDUP
- TBR pile: 61, up from 60
- In progress: 3, down from 4
- Read: 26
- DNF: 12 - so many degrowth books picked up and promptly abandoned!
- Added: 39

Overall, I am not making as much progress on THE STACK as I seem to add books in at the rate that I also remove them. The big win here was reading Water Logic which has been in my TBR pile since Feb 2019. It's a great book. I don't know why that one was such a mental block for me.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2023, 09:36:15 AM »
Baby came Nov 7, and as predicted my reading has tanked, but I have a few that I finished in that first week, and a few I've given up on since. Currently pushing through on that ILL request, since I can't renew it and don't want to have to go through the ILL process again later.

394 (October Count) -2 (Read) -2 (DNF) = 390 (November Count)

I have two more out from the library, might or might not get to them before they're due. And once the pumping bras I ordered arrive, I'll have more reading time! Currently I don't have my hands free, so it's hard to read. Never wished I could manage audiobooks so much! (Nothing against audiobooks, I just have trouble paying attention and retaining audio-only content.)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2023, 09:03:11 PM »
Congratulations @Raenia !!  Hope you've been enjoying a bit more reading time amongst the baby snuggles.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2023, 09:06:27 PM »
I've come up with a Christmas gift for myself.
Will take 50 books off my bookshelves (books I haven't read yet or ones I wanted to re-read) and will wrap them all up. Then I can unwrap roughly one/week during 2024 to keep myself working through these TBR books AND to surprise myself with what shows up.

Might have to figure out a way to blind pick them (ie. number and then draw numbers) so that I can't choose by size & shape.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2023, 10:40:32 AM »
Will take 50 books off my bookshelves (books I haven't read yet or ones I wanted to re-read) and will wrap them all up. Then I can unwrap roughly one/week during 2024 to keep myself working through these TBR books AND to surprise myself with what shows up.

Might have to figure out a way to blind pick them (ie. number and then draw numbers) so that I can't choose by size & shape.

Oh my goodness, this idea is so fun!!! I am very tempted to steal it. :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2023, 12:54:29 PM »

Oh my goodness, this idea is so fun!!! I am very tempted to steal it. :)

Please do Frugal Shrew!
 I am going to pick 40 books (in order to keep it somewhat manageable) and will wrap them with newspapers this afternoon.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2023, 09:24:42 AM »
A busy month, so not as much reading, but still knocked a few off the list!

390 (November Count) -2 (Read) -1 (DNF) = 387 (December Count)

Looking back at my first post in the thread, I started at 435, so that's a net -48 for the year. Not too shabby! I'd like to say I'll aim for 50 next year, but realistically that's very unlikely. I'll settle for net negative :P

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2024, 04:25:44 PM »
@Serendip that is a fantastic challenge and I hope @FrugalShrew joins in.
@Raenia that's some significant progress esp with a new baby in there.

DECEMBER ROUNDUP
- TBR pile: 53, down from 61 and half the size of the pile when I started this challenge
- In progress: 5
- Read: 14
- DNF: 5
- Added: 13

I have a new approach for 2024 which is starting from the oldest books in my kobo and working my way forward. This removes the repeated 'consider and discard' pattern that my current approach has yielded since I know that, thanks to cognitive dissonance, the more times you choose NOT to do X, the less likely you are to ever feel like doing X - your brain comes up with after-the-fact justifications for you not having done the thing already. I must get back to the spirit of the experiment and give Happy City/Design Your Life/How I Found Freedom et al a solid go and either finish or remove. Something no longer being relevant to my life and interests is a perfectly valid option.

This will be the second time I try Thinking Fast and Slow and if I stall, I can ditch it. Honestly the best part so far was his talking about his awesome close friendship with his long-time research collaborator. It sounds like an amazing friendship and joint intellectual mission.