Author Topic: Meal planning 2018  (Read 60752 times)

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
Re: Meal planning 2018
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2018, 07:46:50 AM »

Saturday: leftovers
Sunday: Spaghetti & Cheese, smoked sausage and salads (I'm pretty sure that Spag&Cheese and sausage is  a weird  Irish midwestern bastardization of Carbonara, but my family has apparently been eating it for at least 4 (and maybe 5) generations).
Monday: Homemade applesauce, bbq ribs, cheese grits
Tuesday: Turkey burgers, roasted acorn squash w /persimmon
Wednesday: tortilla crusted tillapia, salad (GF fishsticks for the kiddos)
Thursday: Sausage, tomato and rice soup
Friday: Pizza night

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2018, 09:04:42 AM »
I need to get better at meal planning.  Well, WE need to get better at meal planning, it definitely doesn't have to be just my job.  We have two kids (7 & 10), but luckily neither is really picky.

Aside on pickiness- The younger one was a tad picky up until age 5-6 or so, but the older one would always eat anything.  I am not sure, but I suspect part of their willingness to eat a variety of foods is because we never made special kid food, if they didn't like it, too bad, I guess they were just hungry until the next meal.  If we ever ate out, they'd eat off our plates, we didn't order kids meals.  If I ever make them something "kid-like," say, a box of Annie's mac and cheese, I add some kind of veggie to it so it is half (or less) pasta, half (or more) veggies, make a roux and add extra milk to amp up the creaminess, add a dash of cayenne and a squirt of mustard to the mix, then serve it with a sprinkle of smoked paprika.  These additions up the nutritional value and increase exposure to complex flavors.  Bonus, I think it is much tastier than the box directions, too.

We eat vegetarian/pescatarian most of the time, I would say meals with meat are once a week.  I had been vegetarian for 20+ years, and the kids were vegetarian until age 5 or so.  Once they decided to start eating meat, it made me the only vegetarian, and I just started to feel rather restricted being the only one.

We mostly cook stuff from scratch, but occasionally have some sort of convenience food (frozen dumplings, refrigerated filled pasta, frozen battered fish).

The only meal planning win we have is that for the last 5-6 weeks, I've been doing a crockpot meal on thursdays.  I'd love to have a loose outline for every week, like, mexican mondays, crock pot thursdays, etc.  It helps to have it narrowed down to a group of options when making choices.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #152 on: November 05, 2018, 09:30:30 AM »
I need to get better at meal planning.  Well, WE need to get better at meal planning, it definitely doesn't have to be just my job. 

We have different nights assigned to each adult and I've been meal planning my nights for years, my husband just started doing it recently. I have an ongoing google doc where I keep my ideas along with recipe links but it's really great when I'm feeling burnt out or tired to just scroll back to previous meal plans and copy them over.

Which reminds me, I need to document this week's plan:

Lemon grass chicken (rollover from last week)
Potato soup (rollover from last week)
Chili, slow cooker. Either mac n cheese or rolls on the side depending on time constraints. Wait, I have sweet potato cornbread in the freezer! Woo!
Spaghetti and meatballs
Stir fry with sweet and sour sauce

Bean05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2018, 12:55:40 PM »
I keep a little kitchen notebook for dinners and grocery lists, and a few months ago I turned to the last page and started recording what we had for dinner every night. Then as I tabulated I pulled together a menu planning “formula” I’m going to try through the end of the year

Shrimp weekly
Alternate spaghetti and tacos ea week
Alternate Asian and curry recipe ea week
Mix grill weekly (I live in Florida)
Alternate sandwiches and breakfast ea week
One night Other/Leftover/OYO (on your own) ea week
Eat out one night

So this week.....
Basil shrimp with orzo and feta
Spaghetti with crockpot tomato sauce, salad
Grilling chicken wings, potatoes, salad (veg hotdog for mom)
BLT, chips, fruit salad (veggie sandwich for mom)
Other: veggie chili dogs - last night! And saved a dinner’s worth of veg chili for the freezer, bonus!
Eat out whenever we fall down on the job, or on Friday :)

Thanks everyone for keeping this thread alive. It’s helpful to see how others handle the planning and execution of daily dinners.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 01:09:48 PM by Bean05 »

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #154 on: November 08, 2018, 11:16:35 AM »

Persimmon season is big here....tell me.of this acorn squash with persimmon.  It always seems so blah to me so i am curious.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2018, 11:30:23 AM »

Persimmon season is big here....tell me.of this acorn squash with persimmon.  It always seems so blah to me so i am curious.

I buy persimmon pulp, add some water and brown sugar and simmer for ages. It makes a thick syrupy sauce that I use for various things (including topping squash). I'm a sucker for weird old fashioned flavors though, I'll actually make stewed persimmon and stewed rhubarb at least once a year.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2018, 11:33:43 AM »
I made a healthier version of hamburger helper for lunches this week. I’m looking forward to it, and got an extra meal out of it for today, too. :-) Dinners are still TBD.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2018, 11:41:14 AM »
We leave on vacation Thursday, so a shorter week this week for menu planning purposes:

Friday - had tacos
Saturday - my 11 year old is making dinner. He has selected the gourmet fare of hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls
Sunday - chicken risotto
Monday - leftover tacos
Tuesday - leftover hot dog rolls
Wednesday - leftover risotto

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #158 on: November 10, 2018, 03:28:02 PM »
I did next week's plan last night, but then I went to WinCo for a few key items, and saw turkeys for 68c/lb.  Picked out the smallest one I could find, and rearranged the week's menu to be very turkey-centric.

Planning roast turkey Monday night, then a green curry with turkey and two days of turkey/corn/green chile chowder, plus turkey wraps for lunch.  Hopefully we can stay awake with all that tryptophan coursing through our systems!

Sunday will be meatloaf, and then mid-week we'll have salmon, lentils and greens to break up the turkey monotony.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2018, 08:27:36 AM »
Sat: Spag Bol
Sun: Beef and Veggie Stew
Mon: Chicken Noodle Soup (from freezer)
Tue: Shrimp Tacos
Wed: Sausage, Potatoes and Greens
Thu: Fish Sandwiches, salads
Fri: Pizza

Oldest child has a million medical appointments this week, we are keeping it fast and easy.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2018, 04:21:13 PM »
Stroganoff
Sun dried tomato pasta
Jambalaya
Honey mustard chicken with roasted potatoes, and broccoli or peas or something

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2018, 05:49:35 AM »
Is anyone doing make ahead hot lunches to bring to work.  I saw some stuff on the internet and I'm thinking about making chicken, rice plus veg and fruit containers to bring to work next week.  However, I know that rice is very perishable.  Should I freeze the containers of lunch?  Anyone have any advice on what kind of containers to use?

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #162 on: November 15, 2018, 07:14:08 AM »
Is anyone doing make ahead hot lunches to bring to work.  I saw some stuff on the internet and I'm thinking about making chicken, rice plus veg and fruit containers to bring to work next week.  However, I know that rice is very perishable.  Should I freeze the containers of lunch?  Anyone have any advice on what kind of containers to use?

I'm about to write a book because pre-planning food is something I'm super passionate about! For me it is the only way to get through our crazy life stage and having lunches ready to go is a HUGE part of that.

My husband takes a hot lunch to microwave every day. We have some glass microwaveable containers and tend to pre-freeze things in ziplock bags. We use these containers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMRFZ9S/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07CMRFZ9S&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=21517efd-b385-405b-a405-9a37af61b5b4&pd_rd_wg=kDauU&pf_rd_r=M7510TSGA50NBDF4DNBZ&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=JTUai&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=33149d4e-e8df-11e8-a464-9d17b534f1da

and also have a bowl one for soups/stews/one dish things.

If you don't mind a recommendation we love the flavors of the foods in the Whole Bowls cookbook: https://www.amazon.com/Whole-Bowls-Complete-Gluten-Free-Vegetarian/dp/1634508556 I just add a meat to keep my husband fuller. Usually I buy a costco chicken and just use that over the week.

We have also used the Daily Harvest meal delivery service a couple of times when I've been given really good coupon codes (at least 60% off) and that has given us good ideas for bowls as well.

I'd say the biggest thing with bowl type lunches is getting a good sauce on them. It totally makes the difference between bland and yummy. Since we freeze a lot, we freeze the sauces into cubes and just throw them in with the food. We do a lot of homemade pesto and tomato sauce and a homemade sweet and sour tomato based sauce that I got from "Animal Vegetable Miracle."

You can use riced cauliflower instead of rice and it holds up for several days (and you get an extra veggie!). You can usually get it on a decent sale at the grocery if you watch for it.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: November 15, 2018, 08:51:59 AM »
Star - thanks for the tips.  I have one glass container for microwaving at work.  Maybe I could freeze rice, veg and chicken in small batches in ziploc bags and just stick those in the container each morning with a frozen sauce (yours look yummy but for some reason satay sauce came into my head as a potentially yummy sauce to go with chicken, rice and veg).

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #164 on: November 15, 2018, 09:18:33 AM »
Star - thanks for the tips.  I have one glass container for microwaving at work. Maybe I could freeze rice, veg and chicken in small batches in ziploc bags and just stick those in the container each morning with a frozen sauce (yours look yummy but for some reason satay sauce came into my head as a potentially yummy sauce to go with chicken, rice and veg).

The bolded is exactly what we do (and we even clean and re-use the ziplocks a couple of times). Satay sounds delicious and rice freezes well!

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #165 on: November 15, 2018, 06:02:00 PM »
I tried to think of stuff that won't feel Thanksgiving-y for this week:

[one meal will roll over from this week, probably jambalaya]
Burgers
Black bean fajitas
Tandoori chicken, side of curried carrots and rice

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2018, 12:42:56 AM »
I freeze lunch stuff. For next week my husband will have a really nice thai chicken and rice and lasagna, plus whatever leftovers. I portioned some baked chicken and will j6st eat it on top pf a mixed salad (will buy it on the way to work). Have some frozen meatballs as well if i get sick of the chicken lunches. The kids have sandwiches and wraps, plus pasta salad or couscous salad, but i throw t by em together in the evening.

Next week we shall eat
M sausages and salad
Tue pasta (w bolognese sauce)
Wed chicken sth (possibly crumbed)
Th pork stir fry
Frid pizza
Not sure of the rest. Bought heaps of chicken and sausages at half price, so maybe paella or jambalaya?

Bean05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #167 on: November 25, 2018, 05:20:38 PM »
So, this week.....

Sunday Seafood rice (budget bytes recipe but with fresh seafood), creamed spinach
Monday crockpot cream cheese chicken, rice, salad
Tues buffalo chicken wings w/celery and ranch, baked beans, corn
Weds grouper tacos, rice and beans (from the freezer)
Thursday DH and I have charity dinner, will make chicken noodle soup for DS
Friday spaghetti with sausage/mushroom options, salad
Saturday General Tsos chicken, rice, and egg rolls, or eat out

Working to make dinners easier during the week, with an eye toward leftovers.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #168 on: November 25, 2018, 07:49:53 PM »
Here's what we have going this week:

Sunday - we did a crescent roll/Thanksgiving leftover wrap up, which was actually great
Monday - a baguette stuffed with chicken & mozzarella, served with marinara
Tuesday - Asian night, to break up the leftovers. We'll do chicken served with wontons & potstickers
Wednesday - lasagna
Thursday - leftover lasagna
Friday - turkey risotto

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: November 26, 2018, 05:32:35 AM »
It's been a little bit since we've had a full week planned, but we do!

Sunday: sweet potato, chickpea, and red lentil soup
Monday: lemon dijon roasted potatoes and broccoli
Tuesday: spaghetti squash lasagna
Wednesday: freezer/crockpot mexican chicken soup
Thursday: pasta w/ a variety of veggies (whatever's left in the crisper drawer, honestly)
Friday: frozen stuffed chicken breasts + whatever sides are left

Trying to ensure that more meals than not are vegetarian!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #170 on: November 26, 2018, 08:03:29 AM »
This week's dinners (starting Saturday):

Turkey broccoli soup
Soy glazed chicken thighs with mushrooms, roast squash, ginger-garlic spinach
Chili & Salad
Chili & Salad
Braised lamb shanks, Brussels sprouts, beets
Bibimbap
Brats, braised cabbage, potatoes

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #171 on: November 28, 2018, 08:43:45 PM »
This week

M. Fried rice with the leftover lamb from Sun
T. Pizza
W. Spag bol
Th. Meatballs and mash
Frid paella
S away
Sund. Sausages? Or chicken

Lunches were pre-made cauliflower rice with lentils and turkey meatballs.

Bean05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #172 on: December 01, 2018, 02:48:08 PM »
This week I’m mixing this thread with the eat all the food in your house thread (lol)

Chili dogs, fruit salad
Crab cakes sandwich, steamed potatoes, Greek chopped salad
Chicken thighs baked, homemade rice a Roni, green beans, baked acorn squash
Sesame chicken (crockpot) jasmine rice, Asian cucumber salad
Hamburger, potato salad, fruit
PF Chang’s meal, jasmine rice, veggie egg rolls

My husband is home this week, I’m going to prep 2 lunches to feed us for a few days:
Lasagne for him
African peanut stew for me

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #173 on: December 03, 2018, 04:11:03 PM »
Here's what's on the menu:
Monday - tacos
Tuesday - leftover chicken pesto bake
Wednesday - taco quesadillas
Thursday - may turn chicken pesto bake into paninis
Friday - chicken risotto
Saturday - turkey stuffing casserole (using Thanksgiving leftovers in the freezer)
Sunday - may try the one pot Greek meatball recipe I saw on another thread

Angelhair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #174 on: December 05, 2018, 09:07:47 AM »
What is on the menu:
Monday - Turkey casserole
Tuesday - leftover from Monday
Wednesday - soft shell tacos
Thursday - Sausage with roasted veg's and noodles
Friday - leftovers - clean ref out
Saturday - pot of veg and beef soup with homemade bread
Sunday - Baked chicken with roasted potatoes and green beans

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #175 on: December 05, 2018, 12:37:12 PM »
I own my own business and am fried by the end of the day.  I started weekly meal planning in my phone earlier this year and find it very convenient.  When I have a moment over the weekend, I'll type up the list using ingredients on hand.  I try to incorporate a fish night and a leftover night at least once a week.  DH picks up take out (cheaper than going out to eat) once a week to give me a break from cooking.  This week:

Sun:  Smoked pork ribs, green beans, Birdseye veggie penne pasta
Mon: Leftover take and bake pizza
Tues: Cod, shrimp, tempura eggplant
Wed:  Ground venison chili, corn bread
Thurs:  Leftovers
Fri:  Take out from?
Sat:  Pork chops
Sun:  Smoked ribs

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: December 05, 2018, 01:22:19 PM »
This was a mini-week to plan, as I'm out of town Thursday and Friday.

Sunday: rice and beans w/ extra peppers and spinach (vegan but for cheese on top)
Monday: stirfry veggies w/ riced cauliflower (vegan)
Tuesday: I was out for a work event and DH ate leftovers
Wednesday: pasta w/ veggies and chicken sausage
Thurs-Fri: I'm not here, who even cares
Saturday: how tired am I? probably something from the freezer - either pizza or stuffed chicken breasts

We are likely moving early in the new year, so I desperately need to start an eat-down-the-house challenge.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #177 on: December 08, 2018, 05:56:15 PM »
Last week:
Loaded nachos
Tandoori chicken and roasted vegetables, coconut rice
“Date” night chicken
Vegetable baked ziti from Budget Bytes
Pork fried rice
Sweet and sour pork
Sweet tea glazed chicken

This week:
Tortellini with bean sauce
Pizza
Fettuccine alfredo
Chinese lion soup
Shepherds pie
Beef and barley stew
Stir fry with peanut sauce
Black bean enchiladas

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #178 on: December 10, 2018, 07:12:56 AM »
Menu for the week:
Friday - we had frozen pizza
Saturday - we unexpectedly went out, using a gift card at least
Sunday - rice with beef tips in wine sauce
Monday - turkey, stuffing, potatoes
Tuesday - leftover rice w/beef tips
Wednesday - leftover turkey, stuffing & potatoes
Thursday - eat any remaining leftovers. I"m thinking there will just be turkey. I'll likely make turkey sandwiches or something similar
Friday - TBD

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #179 on: December 10, 2018, 11:22:42 AM »
~Tonight:  Crock Pot country style ribs
~Tues:  Cod, shrimp, side veggie
~Wed:  Venison steak marinaded in buttermilk, side veggie
~Thurs:  Leftovers
~Fri:  Dinner out and present exchange w/ a friend.
~Sat:  Something easy since I'll be baking all day (Snickerdoodles, fudge and peanut butter bark, oh my!!!)
~Sun:  Grill/Smoke something

Have a wonderful week, everyone.

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #180 on: December 13, 2018, 10:45:19 PM »
This week was crazy.

Mon - leftover beef brisket and beans
Tue - cauliflower pasta (yummm)
Wed- sausages and salad
Thurs- crumbed chicken, salad
 Frid- spicy rice w leftover sausages
Sat- grilled chicken
Sun-slow cooked chinese brisket with greens and rice

Discovery of the week: chickpea puree with fried mushrooms and random veg on top. It is my favourite lunch from now on. How come I always had it as a dip and not as a main meal? It is ready in 15 minutes.

What are you guys making for Christmas?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #181 on: December 15, 2018, 08:17:20 AM »
Just got home from a work trip,DH dutifully ate every bit of the soup I left for him. Fridge is pretty bare, so first order of business was making a plan so I could shop accordingly (and try to get in/out ahead of the holiday cray):

Salad, baked potatoes
Split pea soup, sourdough (I was gifted a sourdough starter last week, hopefully I can get a few loaves before I neglect it and it dies...)
Chicken thighs, roasted squash and broccoli
Unstuffed cabbage
Lamb chops, beets, greens
Out (after work social thing)
Tofu curry, rice

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #182 on: December 16, 2018, 12:26:51 AM »
What is unstuffed cabbage? I love stuffed cabbage, but it's fiddly so I make a giant batch maybe twice a year?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #183 on: December 16, 2018, 10:40:47 AM »
What is unstuffed cabbage? I love stuffed cabbage, but it's fiddly so I make a giant batch maybe twice a year?

https://www.thespruceeats.com/unstuffed-cabbage-rolls-3057246

We like to add olives.  It's a good low carb comfort food.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #184 on: December 18, 2018, 01:03:48 PM »
@Bee21, for an early Christmas dinner with the family, my DH is smoking a bone-in ham from the half pig we bought earlier this month.

This week:
Mon:  Grazed since we had a late lunch.
Tonight:  Cod, shrimp and side veggie
Wed:  Zatarain's dirty rice (I had a coupon) with ground venison
Thurs:  Out with friends for an appetizer and cocktail holiday celebration
Sat:  Leftovers
Sun:  Ham with the fam

Season's Greetings everyone!

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #185 on: December 18, 2018, 01:49:04 PM »
https://www.thespruceeats.com/unstuffed-cabbage-rolls-3057246

We like to add olives.  It's a good low carb comfort food.
[/quote

Thank you! I am totally making it next week.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #186 on: December 18, 2018, 08:42:06 PM »
Am I the only one that is totally happy to eat the same thing all week? I am single, no kids, so totally understand needing variety when you are feeding a family. I feel so boring, but I love eating the same dinner almost every night. It pretty much goes like :

Mon: giant salad w/baked chicken, lots of veggies, olives, etc
 Tues: same
 Wed: same
 Thurs: maybe I'll make a big pot of soup
 Friday: Soup
 Sat: game night at friends, usually homemade pizza
 Sun: more soup! and random bits of whatever I'm making for the next week.

I pretty much rotate through giant salad w/chicken, giant salad w/salmon, some sort of meal-like soup (Posole, minestrone, chicken veggie, etc) or a chicken mole, or crockpot pork shoulder. I make one, or two options on Sunday, and eat them every day for lunch or dinner till they are gone.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #187 on: December 18, 2018, 11:26:41 PM »
Am I the only one that is totally happy to eat the same thing all week? I am single, no kids, so totally understand needing variety when you are feeding a family. I feel so boring, but I love eating the same dinner almost every night.

I'm pretty much the same - also single and kidless, and I make a big batch of something and eat it until it's gone. Sometimes if I didn't love the recipe I get a little tired of it before it's finished, but if it's good I'll be just as happy with the last serving as the first.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #188 on: December 19, 2018, 10:08:39 AM »
My peeps will only eat leftovers 2x in a week, and I also try to create a gap day between the repeats.

Menu for this week was/is:
Friday -homemade pizza
Saturday - lasagna
Sunday - Persian rice dish from the freezer
Monday - freezer burritos + fresh guacamole
Tuesday - leftover pizza for two diners, & leftover Persian rice dish for the other two
Wednesday - two people will eat lasagna, the other two will eat freezer burritos with fresh guacamole
Thursday - I have a work dinner, so my husband & the kids will eat a frozen pizza. (The fridge will be out of leftovers by that point)
Friday - we're traveling, so something easy when we arrive. I'm thinking spaghetti & meatballs
Saturday - Tacos
Sunday - leftovers

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #189 on: December 19, 2018, 02:03:55 PM »
Well, my little girl would happily eat a rotation of spaghetti, crumbed chicken and pizza. The rest complains if there is a repeat meal (unless it is crumbed chicken). I have to disguise the leftovers into a different meal for the to consider eating it. My husband is a princess.

This week we are out of our usual meal schedule. Like we had the crumbed chook on Monday and sausages on Tuesday. Today I am making a pork fillet w broccoli and rice.   Tomorrow  there will be a creamy spinach pasta. We were supposed to be away on the weekend, but the weather is bad, so I might make some koftas with the lamb mince in the freezer. I might even attempt flatbreads to go with it (utilising child labour).

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: December 26, 2018, 11:00:12 AM »
Recent meals:

Chicken pot pie
Honey ginger pork, vegetables and rice
Balsamic pork chops, roasted vegetables, rolls
Bacon, date, goat cheese paninis (mmm, delicious)
Burgers and fries
Roast with yorkshire puddings
Calzone
Beef stew, rolls
Spaghetti and meatballs
Pizza

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #191 on: December 26, 2018, 12:49:41 PM »
This week's plan (for what's left of it!):
Breakfasts- yogurt + granola or toast + jam

Lunches - leftover beef roast + braised red cabbage, grilled cheese sandwiches with coleslaw, cucumber salad on the side

Dinners- Beef roast + red cabbage (we came home with a HUGE amount of leftovers from xmas dinner), roast beef sandwiches with BBQ sauce and side salads

Snacks - carrot sticks, rice pudding, cheese popcorn

Mainly just trying to get rid of various holiday leftovers this week.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #192 on: December 26, 2018, 01:18:21 PM »
@meerkat - those paninis sound great!

We have a ton of leftovers & random food we need to use up:
Wednesday - likely leftover spaghetti & meatballs + goat cheese crostini (didn't make prior night)
Thursday - lasagna (leftover from Christmas Eve) + a huge appetizer spread, garlic bread & salad
Friday - tacos with homemade chips & guacamole
Saturday - baguette stuffed with chicken + roasted squash
Sunday - leftovers
Monday (NYE) - steak & mashed potatoes

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #193 on: January 02, 2019, 01:47:57 PM »
Santa brought us the flu for Christmas, so I had plenty of time to plan:

Tonight:  Leftover venison enchiladas and tortilla chips
Thurs:  Pork chops (from the half pig we bought) in doctored up leftover spaghetti sauce
Sat:  Leftovers
Sun:  DH will smoke a pork something from the above mentioned pig
Mon:  Salmon (on sale last month)
Tues:  Chicken breast (bought in a multi pack a few months ago) tenders, side veggie (e-coupon)
Wed:  Venison White Castle Pie
Thurs:  Leftovers
Fri:  Take out
Sat:  IDK yet
Sun:  Grill/smoke something

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #194 on: January 02, 2019, 01:56:36 PM »
I’m doing lazy meal prep the next few days. Picking up a sale rotisserie chicken and making it with salad and riced cauliflower. Boring but easy.

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
Re: Meal planning
« Reply #195 on: January 02, 2019, 05:07:20 PM »
Happy new year eeverybody.

I renamed the thread to keep it current. Keep up the meal planning folks 😊

I am shaking up my meals on rotation in 2019 as I started to get bored and the kids started to eat a larger variety.

Tonight is chicken and zucchini meatballs. And I am attempting a Turkish lentil and eggplant casserole which is supposed to be simmered for 1.5 hours. Will report how it goes.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #196 on: January 02, 2019, 05:50:37 PM »
Chili (with cornbread from freezer)         
Mongolian beef
Paprika lime chicken   
Moroccan Lentil and Vegetable Stew

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #197 on: January 02, 2019, 06:16:57 PM »
I'm home alone this week, so I'm planning to make 3 meals and eat each one at least 2x:

Chicken larb
Chorizo tacos with cabbage leaf "shells"
Spaghetti squash and meatballs

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
Re: Meal planning
« Reply #198 on: January 02, 2019, 07:53:05 PM »
My picky gluten free child is really killing our creativity.

We officially have a 15 meal rotation right now and I'm SO BORED with it. It doesn't help that I outright dislike eating several of the meals myself. But I'm one of those parents who feels strongly that I will only cook one thing. I am also one of those people who loves variety in my food. I am my own worst enemy.

We ate: Hoppin John last night (official new years meal)
tonight: Salads with chicken
tomorrow: clean the fridge of leftovers
Friday: Always family pizza night.

If anyone has nifty gluten free suggestions that picky 6 year olds might like I am OPEN!

I'm determined to find 10 more recipes to add to the rotation in 2019 starting on Saturday.

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #199 on: January 07, 2019, 03:01:05 AM »
So, i am really working on the food budget this year as i am planning an expensive summer holiday,

Mon: chicken pot pie (leftover chicken)
Tue: chicken stir fry
Wed: sausage and mash
Th: kid's birthday, probably crumbed chicken
Frid: nachos
Sat: whatever my friend cooks
Sun: lamb kofta and flatbreads plus tzatziki

The turkish lentils and eggplant dish was delicious. Will add extra spices next time though.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!