Author Topic: Meal planning 2018  (Read 14487 times)

StarBright

• Pencil Stache
Re: Meal planning 2018
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2018, 07:46:50 AM »

Saturday: leftovers
Sunday: Spaghetti & Cheese, smoked sausage and salads (I'm pretty sure that Spag&Cheese and sausage is  a weird  Irish midwestern bastardization of Carbonara, but my family has apparently been eating it for at least 4 (and maybe 5) generations).
Monday: Homemade applesauce, bbq ribs, cheese grits
Tuesday: Turkey burgers, roasted acorn squash w /persimmon
Wednesday: tortilla crusted tillapia, salad (GF fishsticks for the kiddos)
Thursday: Sausage, tomato and rice soup
Friday: Pizza night

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2018, 09:04:42 AM »
I need to get better at meal planning.  Well, WE need to get better at meal planning, it definitely doesn't have to be just my job.  We have two kids (7 & 10), but luckily neither is really picky.

Aside on pickiness- The younger one was a tad picky up until age 5-6 or so, but the older one would always eat anything.  I am not sure, but I suspect part of their willingness to eat a variety of foods is because we never made special kid food, if they didn't like it, too bad, I guess they were just hungry until the next meal.  If we ever ate out, they'd eat off our plates, we didn't order kids meals.  If I ever make them something "kid-like," say, a box of Annie's mac and cheese, I add some kind of veggie to it so it is half (or less) pasta, half (or more) veggies, make a roux and add extra milk to amp up the creaminess, add a dash of cayenne and a squirt of mustard to the mix, then serve it with a sprinkle of smoked paprika.  These additions up the nutritional value and increase exposure to complex flavors.  Bonus, I think it is much tastier than the box directions, too.

We eat vegetarian/pescatarian most of the time, I would say meals with meat are once a week.  I had been vegetarian for 20+ years, and the kids were vegetarian until age 5 or so.  Once they decided to start eating meat, it made me the only vegetarian, and I just started to feel rather restricted being the only one.

We mostly cook stuff from scratch, but occasionally have some sort of convenience food (frozen dumplings, refrigerated filled pasta, frozen battered fish).

The only meal planning win we have is that for the last 5-6 weeks, I've been doing a crockpot meal on thursdays.  I'd love to have a loose outline for every week, like, mexican mondays, crock pot thursdays, etc.  It helps to have it narrowed down to a group of options when making choices.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #152 on: November 05, 2018, 09:30:30 AM »
I need to get better at meal planning.  Well, WE need to get better at meal planning, it definitely doesn't have to be just my job. 

We have different nights assigned to each adult and I've been meal planning my nights for years, my husband just started doing it recently. I have an ongoing google doc where I keep my ideas along with recipe links but it's really great when I'm feeling burnt out or tired to just scroll back to previous meal plans and copy them over.

Which reminds me, I need to document this week's plan:

Lemon grass chicken (rollover from last week)
Potato soup (rollover from last week)
Chili, slow cooker. Either mac n cheese or rolls on the side depending on time constraints. Wait, I have sweet potato cornbread in the freezer! Woo!
Spaghetti and meatballs
Stir fry with sweet and sour sauce

Bean05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2018, 12:55:40 PM »
I keep a little kitchen notebook for dinners and grocery lists, and a few months ago I turned to the last page and started recording what we had for dinner every night. Then as I tabulated I pulled together a menu planning ďformulaĒ Iím going to try through the end of the year

Shrimp weekly
Alternate spaghetti and tacos ea week
Alternate Asian and curry recipe ea week
Mix grill weekly (I live in Florida)
Alternate sandwiches and breakfast ea week
One night Other/Leftover/OYO (on your own) ea week
Eat out one night

So this week.....
Basil shrimp with orzo and feta
Spaghetti with crockpot tomato sauce, salad
Grilling chicken wings, potatoes, salad (veg hotdog for mom)
BLT, chips, fruit salad (veggie sandwich for mom)
Other: veggie chili dogs - last night! And saved a dinnerís worth of veg chili for the freezer, bonus!
Eat out whenever we fall down on the job, or on Friday :)

Thanks everyone for keeping this thread alive. Itís helpful to see how others handle the planning and execution of daily dinners.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 01:09:48 PM by Bean05 »

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #154 on: November 08, 2018, 11:16:35 AM »

Persimmon season is big here....tell me.of this acorn squash with persimmon.  It always seems so blah to me so i am curious.

StarBright

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2018, 11:30:23 AM »

Persimmon season is big here....tell me.of this acorn squash with persimmon.  It always seems so blah to me so i am curious.

I buy persimmon pulp, add some water and brown sugar and simmer for ages. It makes a thick syrupy sauce that I use for various things (including topping squash). I'm a sucker for weird old fashioned flavors though, I'll actually make stewed persimmon and stewed rhubarb at least once a year.

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2018, 11:33:43 AM »
I made a healthier version of hamburger helper for lunches this week. I’m looking forward to it, and got an extra meal out of it for today, too. :-) Dinners are still TBD.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2018, 11:41:14 AM »
We leave on vacation Thursday, so a shorter week this week for menu planning purposes:

Friday - had tacos
Saturday - my 11 year old is making dinner. He has selected the gourmet fare of hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls
Sunday - chicken risotto
Monday - leftover tacos
Tuesday - leftover hot dog rolls
Wednesday - leftover risotto

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #158 on: November 10, 2018, 03:28:02 PM »
I did next week's plan last night, but then I went to WinCo for a few key items, and saw turkeys for 68c/lb.  Picked out the smallest one I could find, and rearranged the week's menu to be very turkey-centric.

Planning roast turkey Monday night, then a green curry with turkey and two days of turkey/corn/green chile chowder, plus turkey wraps for lunch.  Hopefully we can stay awake with all that tryptophan coursing through our systems!

Sunday will be meatloaf, and then mid-week we'll have salmon, lentils and greens to break up the turkey monotony.

StarBright

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2018, 08:27:36 AM »
Sat: Spag Bol
Sun: Beef and Veggie Stew
Mon: Chicken Noodle Soup (from freezer)
Tue: Shrimp Tacos
Wed: Sausage, Potatoes and Greens
Thu: Fish Sandwiches, salads
Fri: Pizza

Oldest child has a million medical appointments this week, we are keeping it fast and easy.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2018, 04:21:13 PM »
Stroganoff
Sun dried tomato pasta
Jambalaya
Honey mustard chicken with roasted potatoes, and broccoli or peas or something