Author Topic: Meal planning 2018  (Read 60779 times)

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
Re: Meal planning 2018
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2018, 07:59:46 PM »

Last week got a little off track, but not too bad. I didn't buy any ingredients for pad Thai, so that dish got rotated out. I also went out to dinner one night for a work dinner, so we had more roast beef leftovers for other nights.

Sat 4/28 - Pizza takeout
Sun 4/29 - Pasta with marinara - VEGAN
Mon 4/30 - Veggie burgers - VEGAN
Tue 5/1 - Gnocchi
Wed 5/2 - Lentil sloppy joes - VEGAN
Thu 5/3 - Penne alla vodka
Fri 5/4 - Mexican lucky

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2018, 10:52:14 AM »
Ok, April is basically over and my life is back to a semblance of non-travel normalcy.

Sunday: turkey burgers, roasted asparagus, potato salad
Monday: pasta w/ chicken sausage, mushrooms, and spinach
Tuesday: chana masala (plus kale) w/ brown rice
Wednesday: southwestern chopped salad (cabbage, kale, carrots, green onion, black beans, pepitas, sour cream and salsa dressing. my attempt at recreating a bagged chopped salad and realizing there actually aren't huge cost savings here)
Thursday: happy hour with friends
Friday: ??? haven't planned that far ahead yet.

DH and I are planning another sugar-free two weeks starting May 7, so I need to do a little future thinking for that (basically around breakfasts and snacks - our dinners are usually in good shape and lunch is leftovers), and we need to eat all the sugary yogurt currently in the fridge.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2018, 12:02:28 PM »
This week I’m having “egg roll in a bowl” for lunches and “crack chicken” for dinners. Both cheap, easy, filling keto meals.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2018, 02:57:39 PM »
I'm a little nervous about May. I have two international work trips, and my husband tends to default to quick & easy options (who can blame him), when he's also in charge of dinner. I need to sit down with him & figure out what kind of freezer meal options I can stock ahead of time.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2018, 07:27:55 AM »
OK, DW is out of commission for an unknown duration, so time to make some easy meals that will last a couple of days each.

Sun 5/6 - Hummus, tabouleh - VEGAN
Mon 5/7 - Leftover hummus, tabouleh - VEGAN
Tue 5/8 - Pasta with marinara, salad - VEGAN
Wed 5/9 - Leftover pasta, salad - VEGAN
Thu 5/10 - Beef stew in crockpot, salad
Fri 5/11 - Leftover stew, salad

I'm going to leave the tomatoes on the side of the tabouleh, because it gets gross after a day in the fridge.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2018, 08:11:49 AM »
Today begins part one of my two international work trips. This week it will be easier, as it's just my husband & my non picky eater. Pickier eater will be at science camp, & I'm in London.

Here's what I'm thinking:
Sunday - hamburgers & salads
Monday - spaghetti & meatballs
Tuesday - chicken sandwiches
Wednesday - pizza
Thursday - out
Friday - I'll be back in the evening, so probably an easy option like enchiladas from the freezer

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2018, 03:45:27 AM »
Back from holidays. The food in Thailand is delicious. I will try to recreate those soups and curries eventually, but this week I am finding bits and bobs in the freezer.

Monday- french toast
Tuesday- chicken dumpling soup and fried rice
Wednesday - pork n peas plus rice
Thursday- not sure. Spag bol most likely.
Friday- pizza
Sat- steak n salad
sunday- roast etc

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2018, 06:05:42 AM »
We're on day 2 of no sugar! Breakfasts are chosen from cinnamon pecan waffles, plain yogurt with fruit, baked oatmeals with apples and pecans, or english muffins with peanut butter. Lunches are leftovers. Dinners are:
Monday - one pot parmesan pasta w/ broccoli
Tuesday - instant pot chicken taco bowls
Wednesday - I'm meeting a friend for dinner, leftovers for DH
Thursday - cauliflower and lentil tacos
Friday - potatoes and broccoli somehow turned into an actual meal
Saturday/Sunday - ???

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2018, 03:24:40 PM »
Back from international work trip one of two this month.

Friday - grabbed two frozen pizzas from the grocery store. Super jet lagged, felt like a hero for avoiding takeout.
Saturday - my husband was going to make me dinner tomorrow for Mother's Day, but I asked him to swap with me, as I really don't feel like cooking. So, he'll make kebabs & rice (my favorite) tonight
Sunday - I'll make chicken curry
Monday - lasagna (from the freezer - my parents are awesome & made a few freezer meals for us when they were in town)
Tuesday - leftover kebabs & rice
Wednesday - leftover curry
Thursday - leftover lasagna
Friday - TBD, but likely our standby of chicken risotto, or spaghetti & meatballs

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2018, 06:22:36 PM »
Eh, we will be boring again this week as I am sick and don't feel like cooking.

monday- leftover roast and veg
Tue- spag bol
Wed-stir fried pork n rice
Thur- tortilla stack
Friday- salmon &  steamed veg
Sat - grilled chicken + salad
Sunday- roast sth

Have to make some decent lunches for the man as he got back to eating out in the past few weeks. It is easy to fall back in bad habits. As the next 2 months will be a bit tight he is quite motivated, so we shall see. Am thinking of making him a couple of lunches with leftover roast,  there will be a tuna sandwich day and 2 burrito days.

I don't know what I will eat. I feel like plain rice and steamed veg plus fruit, I am off food these days. I have soups for dinner.

The man invited people for dinner yesterday, who kindly brought sausages with them (plus 2 teenage boys). I just added that to the chicken and the salads I had, plus I made a ginger cake, so i didn't have to do an extra shop. Not sure about these last minute impromptu dinner parties, but it was fun. This cake is very easy and cheap to make and though it looks ugly it is always a hit.

And the best part, a friend dropped off a bottle of wine, a bottle of whisky and a large box of chocolate as a thank you for helping them with the boat. Such an unexpected treat.

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2018, 12:20:52 AM »
So, my oven is broken. Not happy as we invited people around for sunday lunch (was planning a roast and apple pie) and we are invited for drinks tomorrow, for what I was supposed to bring sausage rolls. I might just ensemble them and pop it in the oven when we arrive, plus we can do the roast on the barbeque, but it is annoying. Hope my husband can fix the damn thing.

And of course it broke AFTER  i planned the menu and bought the ingredients for next week, so I will have to reassess the situation.

It is soup and stew weather around here. We are having ham and pea soup tonight with fettuccini alfredo for the kids instead of the friday pizza. Aaaand, it looks like the kids are getting over this vegetarian phase, they finally started eating meat again, so I will have to experiment a bit to see what they are willing to eat.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2018, 09:48:02 AM »
I'm heading out tomorrow for my second international work trip of the month. Traveling really screws up the rest of the meal planning. Here's the loose plan:

Friday - I'm going to swing into the grocery store & pick up a cheater rotisserie chicken & pepper & make a chicken fajita skillet dish.
Saturday - my husband & the kids are going to be at a soccer tournament all day, so I'm expecting them to eat a pizz from the freezer
Sunday - the fam will eat leftover chicken fajitas
Monday - again with soccer, so I'm thinking they will eat mini sliders
Tuesday - leftover pizza
Wednesday - spaghetti & meatballs
Thursday - they will likely eat out
Friday - I fly back in early in the day. Will defrost chicken curry from the freezer. No rice, so will plan to eat it with naan bread

I will be so happy when this jag of traveling is over & we can get back to a more regular schedule

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2018, 12:41:49 AM »
What's up? Nobody is planning meals these days?

So here is mine

Sunday- roast pork w pumpkin, potatoes n brussel sprouts
Monday-leftovers plus lentils
Tuesday - spag bol (sauce from the freezer)
Wednesday - shepeard pie (from the freezer)
Thursday- salmon n peas+ fennel and orange salad
Friday- pizza
Sat- eating out

I have some soup for my lunches and promised thai chicken for my husband's work lunches. Kids have sandwiches and a pasta salad.

Bean05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: August 18, 2018, 01:17:49 PM »
Yes! Still doing it!

Sun chicken thighs (tempeh for mom) baked with lemon/rosemary, spiced rice, salad
Mon Shrimp scampi bake over angel hair, salad
Tues cheese grits with black beans and onion/Anaheim peppers sauté, fruit
Weds shrimp tacos, black beans and rice
Thurs spaghetti (sausage option), salad
Friday - grocery shop so not planned it yet!

Trying to make easier/faster things for the weeknight dinners.
Will shell the shrimp tomorrow and make a big batch of black beans from scratch!
I have a rice cooker, love that thing.

Thanks for sharing ideas!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 07:05:14 PM by Bean05 »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2018, 12:36:06 PM »
We menu plan every week, cooking only on weekends & eating leftovers during the work week. However, we've had a bunch of random things come up that have thrown us off plan. This is also an unusual week, as I'll be gone Thursday-Sunday

Here's our menu:

Friday - we actually had leftovers, which was super unusual because my parents were in town & cooked for us.
Saturday - my husband made kebabs & rice
Sunday - salmon & rice
Monday - leftover kebabs & rice
Tuesday - leftover salmon + salad
Wednesday - spaghetti & meatballs (with homemade tomato sauce)
Thursday - I'm guessing my husband will take the kids out
Friday - Costco frozen lasagna
Saturday - chicken + pasta
Sunday - grilled burgers & corn

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2018, 07:40:08 AM »
We're trying to be diligent about it this fall - both my husband and I are staring down the barrel of particularly busy seasons, so aiming for regular Sunday night casseroles that will be good for leftovers, and easy planning for the rest of the weeknights.

Sunday: Broccoli rice casserole (made extra homemade cream of mushroom soup for the freezer)
Monday: Chopped salad w/ feta, pecans, cranberries, red pepper
Tuesday: Pasta w/ smoked sausage, mushrooms, peppers
Wednesday: I'm at an event, leftovers or frozen pasta for DH
Thursday: Restaurant Week date night!
Friday: Rice and beans
Saturday: anything that's left in the fridge

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2018, 02:00:13 AM »
You american people, please translate grits for me. Is it something like polenta?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2018, 02:47:10 AM »
You american people, please translate grits for me. Is it something like polenta?

Yes, very similar. I think traditionally it's made with a different type/finer grind of cornmeal, but otherwise the same thing.

Sort of like making oatmeal with instant oats vs quick cooking oats.

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2018, 06:01:10 PM »
I fell victim to the middle aisle at bloody Aldi, so I modified the initial meal plan for next week to stay in budget (180 a week).

Sun- chicken soup and zucchini slice for lunch and chicken casserole for dinner (am finally using up the sumac), rice, broccoli, beetroot salad
Mon- chicken and mushroom pie w puff pastry (will make a double batch of the filling), spinach salad
Tue- spaghetti (sauce from freezer)
Wed- stir fry (pork, veg, 5 spice)
Thurs- crumbed chicken, mashed potatoes, greens
Frid-  eating out (we are away)
Sat- sausages at the beach barbeque plus maybe a pasta salad.
Sund- not sure yet

For the lunches I am making a giant vat of pumpkin soup for myself, mushroom, spinach and hallumi wraps (me and kid1), pasta&bean salad and sandwiches for kid2, the man still has a few chicken curries in the freezer.

I overbought the bread and fruit this week (berry season!). Plus vegetables are horribly expensive due to the drought. Like 3.5 dollars for a cucumber. I am also the proud new owner of 5 pyrex dishes with lids (less food waste if i see the leftovers in the fridge), a set of stainless steel mixing bowls and new cutting boards.

Anyway, I am glad i managed to be within budget. From next week I am planning to spend around 150 a week, so I have to be careful around the middle section😁😁

frugi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2018, 10:18:29 AM »
I posted this in the eat all the food in your house thread, since I'm trying to clear out my freezer and pantry.  But meal planning will make that happen...  We're 2 adults and one almost 12 year old girl.  I generally cook enough for dinner so DH and I can have leftovers for lunch.  Everything this week is from supplies on hand.

M- Chicken thighs, cauliflower, and mushrooms in tikka masala simmer sauce with brown basmati rice and yogurt
T- Tacos w/ground beef and black beans, hard shells/low carb tortillas, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, guacamole and salsa
W- Turkey Bolognese with whole wheat macaroni, green beans
Th- Grilled shrimp* with quinoa, stir-fry veggies
F- Pizzas from frozen whole wheat crust kits, topped with turkey pepperoni, veggies, pesto, etc. (We might go out instead, so this would be Saturday's dinner instead)
Sa- Frozen potstickers, stir-fry veggies
Su- Breakfast for dinner, including turkey sausage, eggs and pancakes
M (Labor Day)- grilled ribeye with chimichurri, Russian salad with beets, annnd I'll probably have some more zucchini and tomatoes from my neighbor to consume as well

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2018, 04:02:37 AM »
We're trying to use up stuff in the freezer and fridge so that we can defrost it this weekend:

today
lunch - potato salad, fruit, yoghurt
dinner- frozen fish, frozen peas and potatoes
dessert - home made ice cream from the freezer

tomorrow- lunch - sandwiches with salame and prosciuto crudo
pasta with buffalo mozzarella and fresh tomatoes, salad
dessert - home made ice cream from the freezer

Friday - lunch - leftover lentil soup from freezer, sandwiches for kids
dinner - go our for pizza

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #121 on: September 03, 2018, 09:27:31 AM »
I need to sort my freezer this weekend, but here's what we'e thinking about for a menu this week:

Monday - we're invited to a barbecue, so we'll eat there. I'll take the opportunity (day off today) to brown ground beef for tacos
Tuesday - Tacos
Wednesday - leftover burgers
Thursday - hot dogs (can you tell we've been hosting barbecues?) & pasta salad
Friday - any fridge leftovers. Otherwise, we'll have pizza
Saturday - kebabs & rice
Sunday - chicken curry + leftover rice from Saturday

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: September 03, 2018, 12:07:15 PM »
Last week DH was out of town for work so I subsisted on turkey wraps and salad. This week, back to planning! Made baked tortellini and empanadas this weekend for lunches, dinner is as follows:
Tonight: potluck at my folks' house for Labor Day
Tomorrow: red beans and rice (made brown rice today to speed it up)
Wednesday: one pot broccoli and spaghetti
Thursday: work event for me, DH scavenges the freezer
Friday: mashed potatoes, sauteed spinach, stuffed chicken breasts
Saturday: birthday dinner of pizza and champagne. >_<

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #123 on: September 03, 2018, 10:58:53 PM »
I'm sick, so this meal plan is great. I hope to get better by thursday, in the meanwhile i am reheating things from the freezer.

Mond- leftover roast
Tue- bolognese (soup for me)
Wednesday- chili con carne
Thursday- stir fry
Friday- pizza
saturday- sth for the barbeque as the man is having a working bee and people will likely hang out for dinner
Sunday- roast chicken and sides

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2018, 08:19:45 AM »
We've been retooling to remove gluten from our house - DS diagnosed with autoimmune issue so we're trying gluten free out to see if it helps.

Saturday: Egyptian Macaroni Bechamel (yummy!) (GF pasta)
Sunday: Oktoberfest Pot Pie (Kiddo ate a deconstructed version of the filling but none of the pastry)
Monday: Hooligan Pancakes w/ yogurt and fruit salad
Tuesday: Tostadas and salad
Wed: BBQ Ribs, mashed sweet potatoes, salad
Thursday: eggs poached in tomato sauce over cheese grits, with toast and salad
Friday: Pizza! Gluten free pizza is pretty gross but the kids don't seem to notice the difference. We are thinking about making a grown up pizza with normal crust that the kids aren't interested in eating just to give ourselves something yummy :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2018, 12:48:09 AM »
I've been traveling for work, but really need to get back into the groove with menu planning. I arrive home late on Saturday, so will ask my husband to make dinner on Saturday night:

Saturday - TBD
Sunday - Tacos
Monday - homemade pizza
Tuesday - leftover Saturday dinner
Wednesday - leftover tacos
Thursday - Chicken pesto pasta
Friday - risotto

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2018, 10:46:07 AM »
Lemongrass chicken
Mushroom pasta
Oven roasted honey mustard chicken over chopped vegetables, with rolls
Mongolian Beef
Baked ziti
Beef stew

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2018, 01:42:40 PM »
I'm back from (hopefully) my last international work trip. We scrambled a bit, but made a menu plan. I need to use up a bunch of freezer/pantry stuff, so am hoping to rotate that into the menu soon. Here's our plan:

Saturday - we had a grab & go Costco meal (prepared ravioli & shrimp pesto)
Sunday - kebabs & rice
Monday - leftover ravioli & shrimp pesto
Wednesday - "no peek" beef dish (freezer) over rice
Thursday - any leftovers. If none remain, we'll do gyozas & fried rice (both from freezer)
Friday - naan pizza
Saturday - butternut squash soup (squash from freezer) with goat cheese crostini (bread from freezer)

The kids don't have activities this weekend, so I'm planning to inventory our fridge & freezer again, as well as the pantry & start rotating through our stores. 

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: September 24, 2018, 01:49:14 PM »
Lime cumin marinated chicken, yellow rice and black beans
Italian Wonderpot (budget bytes)
Beef & broccoli
Ropa veija with white rice (also budget bytes)

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2018, 03:34:30 PM »
I am trying a 4 week plan this month.
M- leftovers
T-pasta
W- stir fry
T- chicken
F- pizza or mince
S- grill
S- roast

Will report back of how it goes. I am planning to use different variations for the theme, like chicken can be crumbed or curried or in a casserole, pasta will be bolognese, carbonara, bacon and peas, mac n cheese etc.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2018, 06:42:43 PM »
I am trying a 4 week plan this month.
M- leftovers
T-pasta
W- stir fry
T- chicken
F- pizza or mince
S- grill
S- roast

Will report back of how it goes. I am planning to use different variations for the theme, like chicken can be crumbed or curried or in a casserole, pasta will be bolognese, carbonara, bacon and peas, mac n cheese etc.

I did something like this a few years ago. I only have to cover four dinners per week and managed to get five weeks worth of meals planned out, so I just repeated the five weeks again after that. I didn't do the same plan a third time though, by then we were starting to get bored of our options so I did another five weeks. I have them saved in a spreadsheet if you're interested, I have zero recollection on if I was able to do any carry over like you're talking about with the chicken.

Still trying to figure out next week, but last week's plan was:
Chicken, white bean, mushrooms, peas, alfredo, pasta
Spiced roasted salmon chicken with roasted cauliflower and rice
Shepherds pie
Red lentil and pumpkin soup with grilled cheese

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2018, 08:29:17 PM »
Here's what's on the menu for the week

Friday - oven baked chicken risotto
Saturday - Tacos & guacamole
Sunday - Salmon & rice (+ sesame chicken to stick in the freezer)
Monday - leftover risotto
Tuesday - leftover salmon + rice
Wednesday - leftover tacos. (Guac is already gone)
Thursday - sesame chicken + rice
Friday - the kids/my husband will eat out. I'll be out of town.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2018, 10:59:50 AM »
I was out of town this weekend, so meal planning will be a real challenge. Here's what I'm thinking of:

Monday - I picked up teriyaki chicken from Trader Joes
Tuesday - leftover grilled burgers + salad
Wednesday - spaghetti & meatballs
Thursday - leftover burgers
Friday - beef tip dish (from freezer) over pasta
Saturday - likely going to make a chicken pilaf recipe that reminds me of fall
Sunday - TBD

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2018, 02:46:33 PM »
Just rereading this thread and realizing that having kids has put us in such a dinner rut. I rotate the same 15 meals over and over.

Compared to many of our friends' families our kids eat a pretty diverse diet, but I haven't needed to post menus because we just recycle them.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2018, 02:58:25 PM »
Just rereading this thread and realizing that having kids has put us in such a dinner rut. I rotate the same 15 meals over and over.

Compared to many of our friends' families our kids eat a pretty diverse diet, but I haven't needed to post menus because we just recycle them.

I'll echo that. But, it works for us for the phase we're in now, and we continue to try out new recipes. I set monthly goals, and my goal is one new recipe every 8 weeks or so. My 12 year old is starting to cut dinner, and he tries out new recipes. It's fun, and makes him much more invested in the finished product

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2018, 01:58:00 PM »
Menu plan for the week:

-Friday - I made a chicken rice pilaf, and doubled it. Froze 1/2 for another week
-Saturday - I made a Persian rice/ground beef/bean dish. (To be fair, my Persian husband helped quite a bit. ;-)) Froze 1/2 for another week
-Sunday - my oldest son & I are making a chicken/potato buffalo casserole. New to us, so we'll see how it works out
-Monday - leftover chicken rice pilaf
-Tuesday - leftover Persian dish
-Wednesday - leftover chicken/potato casserole
-Thursday - eat any remaining leftovers. Otherwise, I bought ravioli that we can have
-Friday - I have a late meeting, so we may have pizza from the freezer. If I have time, I'll make naan bread pizza

The fridge is stocked & ready to go for the week!

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2018, 04:31:30 AM »
Well, having kids does reduce the variety and is frustrating for any adventurous cook.  My famous cookbook collection is gathering dust these days.But there is no point in spending hours making elaborate meals nobody would eat. I also dont want to turn the dinner table into a battle ground  These days the only type of chicken they would eat is the crumbed one. So that's what I make. Or the popular pasta is bolognese. Or carbonara. Anything spicy is out. Etc. I make the more interesting meals for the grownup lunches. I have the buddha bowls, the eggplant salad, spicy soups, the man has the thai curries. I tend to skip dinner these days unless it is really nice as I am totally over the kid friendly grub on permanent rotation. At least they eat vegetables. Pasta salad is a lifesaver. Rice and beans is a winner. Lentils are a favourite. Corn from a can is yummy. I hope that they will be more open to variety as they become older.

Whats is that persian dish baby mustache mentioned? I am intrigued.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2018, 09:17:01 AM »
@Bee21 - Here's the recipe - http://honestandtasty.com/beef-and-green-bean-rice-loobia-polo/

It's not a "fancy" Persian meal, but considered more of a comfort food. We serve it with a cucumber/yogurt sauce, which you could substitute for tzatziki sauce. We also prefer canned green beans vs fresh/frozen. Texture goes better with the recipe.

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2018, 01:45:22 PM »
Hmm. That sounds delicious, especially the crispy rice bit. Thanks.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2018, 11:05:47 PM »
I am loving my Google Drive system - this is the longest I've stuck with meal planning.  I use a table template and add in what I expect to be doing each day - that way I can easily readjust the meal if my plans change (e.g. grab the easier meal for a busier night).  Also, I put my shopping list at the bottom of the table, so I can pull it up on my phone at the grocery store (my breakfasts and lunches are in the table too), and looking at the menu plan, it's easy to see how to modify based on sales when I'm shopping. I can also hyperlink to a recipe right in the table if I'm cooking something new. It's really freeing up some mental space for me during the week.

This is still working really well for me.  I added a field to write down my prep cooking tasks/things to thaw out as well.  I've missed some weeks here and there when the schedule got crazy this summer, but overall, I've been able to use this consistently and effectively.

Plan for next week:

Steak, brussels sprouts, beets
Chile verde, black beans, veggies
Leek and cherry tomato frittata, kale salad
Leftovers
Squash boats
Butter chicken, cauliflower rice

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2018, 02:17:00 PM »
Trying to get back into planning a little.

Sunday lunch: farmers market
Sunday dinner: Black eyed peas/rice/salsa.... possibly sausage on the side
Monday dinner: roasted chicken with sweet potatoes + cooked greens + salad
Tuesday dinner: buddha bowls (veg, quinoa, leftover peas/salsa) + pumpkin soup
Wednesday dinner: chicken noodle soup + salad
Back to the market on wednesday. 
Weekday lunches are leftovers for adults, kids have sack lunches

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #141 on: October 27, 2018, 02:24:47 PM »

Saturday: Burgers and butternut swash risotto (also fries for the kids)
Sunday: Spinach Pasta w/ ham (known in our house as Green Pasta)
Monday: Chicken Cauliflower Risotto skillet
Tuesday: Chicken lemon rice soup and salad (and hot dogs for the kids if they are still hungry)
Wednesday: Tomato Soup and grilled cheese (our traditional pre-trick or treat meal)
Thursday: Smoked sausage w/ green beans and potatoes and corn muffins on the side
Friday: Pizza night

Monday, Tuesday and Thursday nights aren't necessarily new recipes, but it has been a while since they been in the rotation so it feels fresh.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2018, 04:02:03 PM »
Everyone's menus look great!

Friday - we had sausage ravioli with a red sauce
Saturday - my husband is grilling kebabs & rice. Yum
Sunday - I'm making a chicken fiesta skillet, with guacamole
Monday - leftover ravioli, plus chicken for the kids
Wednesday - leftover fiesta skillet
Thursday - spaghetti & meatballs (tomato sauce from freezer)
Friday - tbd, but maybe naan bread pizzas

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2018, 03:52:57 AM »
Late with the menu.

Mon - leftover roast and soup
Tue- more soup and burgers w salad (husband was cooking)
Wed- not sure. Trick n treating. Eggs? Beans on toast?
Thu- chicken sth. Crumbed or baked with lemon marinade
Frid- pizza or stuffed tomatoes. Prob the tomatoes (less hassle and healthier).
Sat- sausages n potato salad
Sun- roast lamb (or pork) and lentils

I am planning to make my famous ugly ginger cake this weekend. It does not look too appetising but it is the always the first to dissappear.

Got some great deals on vegetables this week on the way to work. I decided to carry the heavy bag around as I don't find potatoes for 1.50 these days too often. Or tomatoes for 1.70 a bag. There is nothing wrong with them. Also bought some about to expire salad mixes and berries for work lunches. Fruit and veg is  so expensive because of the draught, i spend an extra 20 dollars these days every week and I am buying the same things as before. Everything is overpriced. Even Aldi is getting ridiculous. I checked the farmer's market nearby, but the savings are almost non existent. I have to stop stressing about the food costs.

I am contemplating a waffle maker. Thoughts? Is it worth buying one?

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2018, 07:41:17 AM »
We have a waffle maker and use it about once a week! makes a surprisingly quick breakfast compared to a more typical, eggs, meat, toast type meal. But I also have a family who refuses to eat any cold breakfasts.

We also make random savory waffles sometimes; ham and cheese is our favorite.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2018, 09:01:24 AM »
@Bee21 - we've had a waffle maker for 12 years or so, and have probably used it 30 times or so. I used it this weekend, but can't remember the last time before that. It's not a part of our typical breakfasts, so mostly something we use when the kids have sleepovers, etc.

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2018, 02:07:34 AM »
Thanks guys. Will think about it. In the meanwhile, we will have to keep eating pancakes 😊 i make reasonably good buttermilk ones.

Finally did some batch cooking. The next month looks busy, we have something on every weekend, so it is good to stock up the freezer. I made a giant vat of bolognese sauce,  2 oversized Shepherd pies (dinner+lunches), chicken soup. Tomorrow I am making dahl and a chickpea curry for future reference. I also want to make some slow cooker soup packs for the freezer.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2018, 07:21:44 AM »
If you want a waffle-maker, I'm sure you can find one at the thrift store.  That's where the one we were gifted ended up.

Today is hoovering up the leftovers day, and tomorrow we will start anew.  I'm thinking:

Sat. - Chile verde, veggies, black beans
Sun - Pizza, salad
Mon - Leftovers, salad
Tue - Roasted chicken, braised cabbage, root vegetables
Wed - Lamb chops, potatoes, brussels sprouts
Thu - Chipotle chicken soup
Fri - Leftovers or salmon, rice and chard.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2018, 08:01:07 AM »
I've opened the fridge & I'm happy to report we have very minimal "food" in there. (I don't count fruit or veggies, as we use those as snacks & for salads). That's exactly where I want to be to kick start the week ahead. We grocery shop & menu plan on Saturdays.

This week's menu plan will be a dedicated "eat down the freezer inventory" type of week:

Friday - potstickers + burgers
Saturday - dragon noodles
Sunday - naan pizzas
Monday - leftover dragon noodles
Tuesday -leftover naan pizza
Wednesday - butternut squash soup (freezer)
Thursday -  chicken pilaf (freezer)
Friday - still TBD

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #149 on: November 05, 2018, 03:17:15 AM »
Hell,  i will prob need to rework the menu to accomodate my weightloss plan.  It looks like I can't escape from making different meals.

So, for the family meals

Monday- spag bol
Tues- pork fried rice
Wed- lemon chicken + stir fried veg + leftover rice
 Thu- shep pie (freezer)
Frid- pizza
Sat - boat food tbd
Sun- roast sth

For myself i got some tofu (2 meals), Chinese greens, Turkish lentil soup, whiting fillets, bell peppers and mushrooms. Will see.

Thanks for the waffle comments. I decided against. We have enough clutter.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!