Author Topic: May 2020 Goals  (Read 2651 times)

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
May 2020 Goals
« on: April 30, 2020, 02:05:59 PM »
I was just reading a thing about how goals need to be small and attainable for them to become habits, so the goal here is attainable goals, self.

Personal - In bed by 10:30 at least 50% of the time. This has been slipping later and later since we have no morning obligations anymore...
Exercise - 30 mins on the exercise bike at least 3x/week. No TV except during bike time.
Work - MINIMUM of four pomodoros a day M-F. This groundhog day feeling is messing with my focus nowadays. Two hours of work! You can do 2 hours. 
Money - no Amazon! I've been buying way too much useful-but-not-strictly-necessary stuff (e.g. tools, kitchen gear, stuff for the garden). May is an Amazon fast.

comicguy

• Stubble
Re: May 2020 Goals
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 02:19:31 PM »
May Goals:

Continue tracking monthly expenses
Lose 7 lbs
Read 4 books
Declutter 50 items
Complete 2 more minor household projects
Walk minimum of 6 miles/day
Start learning a foriegn lang (at least 15 days)
Find 100 dollars in" free" money

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 07:31:44 AM »
Continuing from April:

1. Better sleep - maintain bedtime routine, hit lights-out target at least 27/31 days. (Last month 26/30)
2. Meditate daily - 10 min per day, target 25/31 days. (Last month 17/30)
3. Exercise - take a walk or exercise every day. Target 20/31 days. (Last month 19/30)
4. Clutter - do an evening tidy to keep surfaces uncluttered. Target 20/31 days. (Last month 15/30)
5. Reading - Read 4 books, taking notes on 1
6. Try something difficult - target 4 attempts (Last month 4/4)
7. Garden - Plant remaining seeds, thin seedlings as needed
8. Gratitude - Focus on gratitude, target 16/31 days (Last month 23/30)
9. Cut people slack, including self
10. Validate people's feelings

New for May:
11. Show Up - Connect with people at least once per week (Target 5/31)
12. Bring People Together - Host a (remote) gathering at least twice

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 02:02:08 PM »
I have a lot of goals for May, maybe too many, but most are pretty small, so should be ok.

1. Italian on DuoLingo every day (takes about ten minutes).
2. 30 days app exercise everyday (takes less than ten minutes).
3. Yoga every day, preferrably early morning, esp workdays (takes ten-thirty minutes - choose whatever suits me for the day).
4. Walk 232 500 steps in May - that's 7 500 on average. I normally do a lot of transport walking, so not too difficult, but need to be mindful when working from home, and especially hard on weekends.
5. Strength training at home 10 times. At least 10 minutes to count. Heavy digging day counts as one. This started so well in April so I really want to continue, I feel stronger in my arms already.
6. Taking care of the papers in the living room before May 15th 3 pm. Should really take max two hours. I can easily do 15 minutes a day when working from home, on May 4-8 and 11-15.
7. I am off work (holiday) May 21st-22nd, which makes it a four day weekend. I want to plan this weekend in advance. We will not be able to travel, but I want to have some fun planned, even if it's only bike rides to the woods.
8. Borrowing from @Dee_ : At least four work pomodoros on every work day. I am really losing focus. Should be ok beginning of month as we are closing the books - my best period for work focus, I love ticking off the list of all the end of month tasks. My May weeks are five, five, three, four workdays.
9. All decluttered items sorted, and out of the house, or with a plan end of this weekend (May 3rd). They are now in the living room, which makes it even messier.
10. Scanning important papers 2 x 15 minutes. It think this will give me the opportunity to toss a lot of papers (the information on these papers is important to me, but not legally or fiscally important).

I guess that's it. Push it!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 07:41:52 PM »
Happy to see my fellow goal-achievers are already on the ball!

Rollover item from Feb (I will get this book done this month!):
Finish current book exercise 24/33

hydration goal: 26/31 days 1/1 days
flossing: 20/31 0/1 days
physical therapy: 20/31 0/1 days
outdoor activity: 17/31 0/1 days

In April there were 9 days where I've hit all 4 goals, will try to match that.

State tax return
clean up email inbox (currently 2,464 emails)
resolve Starbucks lost gift card issue
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:44:06 PM by oneday »

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 07:02:45 AM »
Quick report for first few days, I plan to report on Mon/Tue, after weekend:

Goals 1-5: doing well, on track
Nothing yet on 6-7 or 10 but that's ok for now
Goal 8 is currently ok (today is second work day for May), but only because it is closing of books.
Goal 9 is in line with wording (sorted, put up ads, managed to give away some items). But I need to get the rest out of the living room, not just have a plan for it. I will have this done by the end of this weekend.

I have a lot of goals for May, maybe too many, but most are pretty small, so should be ok.

3. Yoga every day, preferrably early morning, esp workdays (takes ten-thirty minutes - choose whatever suits me for the day).
4. Walk 232 500 steps in May - that's 7 500 on average. I normally do a lot of transport walking, so not too difficult, but need to be mindful when working from home, and especially hard on weekends.
5. Strength training at home 10 times. At least 10 minutes to count. Heavy digging day counts as one. This started so well in April so I really want to continue, I feel stronger in my arms already.
6. Taking care of the papers in the living room before May 15th 3 pm. Should really take max two hours. I can easily do 15 minutes a day when working from home, on May 4-8 and 11-15.
7. I am off work (holiday) May 21st-22nd, which makes it a four day weekend. I want to plan this weekend in advance. We will not be able to travel, but I want to have some fun planned, even if it's only bike rides to the woods.
8. Borrowing from @Dee_ : At least four work pomodoros on every work day. I am really losing focus. Should be ok beginning of month as we are closing the books - my best period for work focus, I love ticking off the list of all the end of month tasks. My May weeks are five, five, three, four workdays.
9. All decluttered items sorted, and out of the house, or with a plan end of this weekend (May 3rd). They are now in the living room, which makes it even messier.
10. Scanning important papers 2 x 15 minutes. It think this will give me the opportunity to toss a lot of papers (the information on these papers is important to me, but not legally or fiscally important).

« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 07:04:42 AM by LinneaH »

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 07:29:09 AM »
I keep doing a terrible job with these monthly goals, but it's still helpful to have them.

1) Increase my average sleep time to >7 hrs.  I tried in April, and I'm still doing poorly, but dang it, it's important! 
2) Continue to do something active 6 days a week - yoga, spinning, or lifting.  Preferably both spinning and lifting at least once each week, more if time permits.
3) Get 8.5k steps/day - not on average, but actually EVERY DAY.
4) Sweep my poor kitchen and wipe down the table/floor around our kid's spots every night.
5) Research/implement strategies to get our 13 month old to sleep through the night.  She's waking 1-2 times, and wants to nurse back to sleep if I'm the one who goes in, and I'm dying a little bit.
6) Complete 3 more pending mending projects.  I got 3 done in April, but my pile is still very large :)
7) Track my calories all month. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 09:07:26 AM »
@chaskavitch to my way of thinking, it's better to try!

5-day update:

Finish current book exercise 24/33 27/33

hydration goal: 26/31 days 5/5 days
flossing: 20/31 3/5 days
physical therapy: 20/31 4/5 days
outdoor activity: 17/31 1/5 days

In April there were 9 days where I've hit all 4 goals, will try to match that. Maybe not, it might be more ambitious than I'm up to at the moment

State tax return waiting for form in the mail
clean up email inbox (currently 2,464 emails) approx 1,900
resolve Starbucks lost gift card issue figured out what to do, need to do it, but may wait for COVID to settle down first

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 05:43:50 AM »
Week 1 update:

1. Better sleep - maintain bedtime routine, hit lights-out target at least 27/31 days. (Last month 26/30)
 - It was a good week, 7/8 so far
 - Small lapse, 6/8
3. Exercise - take a walk or exercise every day. Target 20/31 days. (Last month 19/30)
 - Been very good about getting outside to walk or do yard work, 8/8
4. Clutter - do an evening tidy to keep surfaces uncluttered. Target 20/31 days. (Last month 15/30)
 - Very good, 7/8
 - 1/4, though it feels like cheating since I finished it on the 1st.  Also started new note-taking book.
 - 1/4, on track
 - Planted the last of the basil seedlings, bought and planted a tomato and pepper plant
 - Very good, 8/8
 - Very good, 8/8
 - Good, 6/8
 - 4/8, it was a very social week
 - Hosted a game night with my family, 1/2

A very positive week for my goals, now to keep the momentum going.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 06:08:11 AM »
The first week in! How we doing folks?

Quote from: Dee_ Viewlink=topic=115980.msg2617326#msg2617326 date=1588277159

Personal - In bed by 10:30 at least 50% of the time. This has been slipping later and later since we have no morning obligations anymore... Check. Just tracking this seems to make me more accountable. 8/8
Exercise - 30 mins on the exercise bike at least 3x/week. No TV except during bike time. Great on the bike (commuted in 3x, stationary 2x) not so much on the TV.  Gonna start non judgementally tracking my TV consumption too.
Work - MINIMUM of four pomodoros a day M-F. This groundhog day feeling is messing with my focus nowadays.Sigh. 3/5
Money - no Amazon! I've been buying way too much useful-but-not-strictly-necessary stuff (e.g. tools, kitchen gear, stuff for the garden). May is an Amazon fast.Still okay on this.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 02:37:46 PM »
Week 1 update

1) Increase my average sleep time to >7 hrs.  I tried in April, and I'm still doing poorly, but dang it, it's important!  Average sleep time 6 hrs 44 minutes.  I'm setting an alarm for 9:30 to get ready for bed this week.
2) Continue to do something active 6 days a week - yoga, spinning, or lifting.  Preferably both spinning and lifting at least once each week, more if time permits.3/6 days.  Try again!
3) Get 8.5k steps/day - not on average, but actually EVERY DAY. 6/7 days, average of 11,061.  The one day I was short I was at 7,953, not bad.
4) Sweep my poor kitchen and wipe down the table/floor around our kid's spots every night. 7/7!
5) Research/implement strategies to get our 13 month old to sleep through the night.  She's waking 1-2 times, and wants to nurse back to sleep if I'm the one who goes in, and I'm dying a little bit. Still a work in progress :(
6) Complete 3 more pending mending projects.  I got 3 done in April, but my pile is still very large :) Nothing yet, going to try to sort projects tonight to find likely candidates.
7) Track my calories all month. 7/7 last week!  Did pretty good overall except baby girl's birthday cake.  Delicious, don't care.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 08:22:22 PM »
10-day update:

Finish current book exercise 24/33 DONE!

hydration goal: 26/31 days 10/10 days
flossing: 20/31 8/10 days
physical therapy: 20/31 6/10 days
outdoor activity: 17/31 5/10 days

In April there were 9 days where I've hit all 4 goals, will try to match that. Maybe not, it might be more ambitious than I'm up to at the moment 2 days

State tax return - waiting for form in the mail got the form!
clean up email inbox (currently 2,464 emails) approx 1,600
resolve Starbucks lost gift card issue figured out what to do, need to do it, but may wait for COVID to settle down first
Adding sleep tracking because that has become necessary

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 01:40:36 AM »

@oneday This is great! Congratulations and well done!

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2020, 07:37:23 AM »
Update from last week:

Goals 1-5 still on track, even though it has been late exercising and/or Italian a couple of times. Current average is 9250 steps, which is amazing, but my foot is hurting still. Only three times strength training so far, but feels ok.
No 6 - getting close to deadline and not much done. House is currently chaos due to painters on the lower floor, and we are sleeping in the living room. This need to be prioritized.
No 7 - I have some plans but it depends on the weather also, it's currently a very cold May here.
No 8 - sort of, but not always. I forget to track, but I have now downloaded a pomodoro app to my work phone, ust need to remember to use it.
No 9 - yes, it was sorted and w/a plan on May 3rd. Unfortunately not all out of the house yet, but I hope tomorrow.
No 10 - nothing yet, but needs to be done as they are now a new pile inthe living room.

So "everyday goals" are fine, "taking care of papers" not as good.

Goal 8 is currently ok (today is second work day for May), but only because it is closing of books.
Goal 9 is in line with wording (sorted, put up ads, managed to give away some items). But I need to get the rest out of the living room, not just have a plan for it. I will have this done by the end of this weekend.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2020, 05:38:44 PM »
@LinneaH thanks for the kudos, that was nice to find today!

Rooting for you to get your #6 done by the deadline!

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2020, 04:03:01 PM »
Week 2 checkin! I've been slacking on recording, which shows.
Personal - In bed by 10:30 at least 50% of the time. This has been slipping later and later since we have no morning obligations anymore... I've been doing pretty okay on this, if only because I've been wide awake at 6am for probably-pregnancy-hormone reasons so I get tired by 10ish.
E
xercise - 30 mins on the exercise bike at least 3x/week. No TV except during bike time. No TV, but I haven't been exercising. I'm active (gardening etc) but I've had very little energy this week. Blame the third trimester.
Work - MINIMUM of four pomodoros a day M-F. This groundhog day feeling is messing with my focus nowadays. Two hours of work! You can do 2 hours. Lol. This has...also not been great. I'm averaging something like 3.5. I've decided that this is the goal I'm going to focus on this week, it's okay if the others slip. I'm downgrading the goal to "Sit down to do some work by 2pm."
Money - no Amazon! I've been buying way too much useful-but-not-strictly-necessary stuff (e.g. tools, kitchen gear, stuff for the garden). May is an Amazon fast. Yeah, this has been fine. I DID spend some money at Home Depot, but nothing else on the list is urgent or needed to finish out a current project. Everything else would be nice to have, but can wait.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2020, 10:12:19 PM »
15-day update:

hydration goal: 26/31 days 13/15 days
flossing: 20/31 11/15 days
physical therapy: 20/31 7/15 days
outdoor activity: 17/31 6/15 days

In April there were 9 days where I've hit all 4 goals, will try to match that. Maybe not, it might be more ambitious than I'm up to at the moment 2 days

State tax return DONE!
clean up email inbox (currently 2,464 emails) approx 1,400 Will be happy to get down to 500 or fewer by end of month
Adding sleep tracking because that has become necessary

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2020, 05:56:15 AM »
Slightly belated Week 2 Update:

- Going strong, 15/16
 - Missed once this week, 13/16
 - Missed once due to a minor injury, 15/16
 - Going well, 13/16
 - 2/4, need to pick up the pace on the notetaking book
 - 3/4, on track
 - Planting is done, unless I decide to get more pots for the porch.  Not quite to the point of thinning yet.  I do want to trim the tree in our yard to get better sunlight on the garden.
 - Very good, 16/16
 - Very good, 16/16
 - Good, 13/15
 - 6/16, two since last update
 - 2nd gathering not yet held, but planned/scheduled, 1/2

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2020, 07:06:17 AM »
Weekly update:
Goals 1-4 on track, but I need to do no 1-3 earlier in the day. I also need to add go to bed earlier for next month.
No 5 - I am a bit behind on the strength exercises, but still doable.
No 6 - papers - I have extended the deadline to end of April, due to having painters - we needed to sleep in the living room and it is still very messy there, so difficult to work w/the papers (also, I admit I procrastrinate heavily on this one). There has been some progress but not a lot.
No 7 - plan for this week's four day weekend: Not much yet. I plan to do a hike w/the kids. DS1 is for, DS2 is against... DH has said he will probably join. I do hope the weather will be nice.
No 8 - work - well, sort of but not 100%. Still not good at tracking but trying.
No 9 - yes, completed! So much stuff has left the house - I ended up dropping of a lot at the local charity place (back door outdoor drop off so really good). Also, I cleared out a lot of cardboard/boxes/plastic wrap/bubble wrap so really happy :-). I just missed to bring one item, but that is ok. I have already started a new box for "out of the house"-items.
No 10 - no scanning done yet.

14 days - two full weeks left - I can do a lot more! Progress needed on the papers!

Update from last week:

Goals 1-5 still on track, even though it has been late exercising and/or Italian a couple of times. Current average is 9250 steps, which is amazing, but my foot is hurting still. Only three times strength training so far, but feels ok.
No 6 - getting close to deadline and not much done. House is currently chaos due to painters on the lower floor, and we are sleeping in the living room. This need to be prioritized.
No 7 - I have some plans but it depends on the weather also, it's currently a very cold May here.
No 8 - sort of, but not always. I forget to track, but I have now downloaded a pomodoro app to my work phone, ust need to remember to use it.
No 9 - yes, it was sorted and w/a plan on May 3rd. Unfortunately not all out of the house yet, but I hope tomorrow.
No 10 - nothing yet, but needs to be done as they are now a new pile inthe living room.

mrmoonymartian

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2020, 07:35:27 AM »
1. Stay sane
%. Flamingos

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2020, 05:28:00 PM »
1. Stay sane
%. Flamingos

Unless this is a joke I don't get, it seems your goal #1 could use some work! :)

mrmoonymartian

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2020, 02:29:00 AM »
1. Stay sane
%. Flamingos

Unless this is a joke I don't get, it seems your goal #1 could use some work! :)
Don't worry, I still have to the end of the moth. Fangs for your concertina.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2020, 07:41:33 AM »
Week 3 Update:

- Going strong, 21/22
 - Bit of a lapse this week, 17/22
 - Missed once due to bad weather, 19/22
 - Going well, 18/22
 - 4/4, lapsing on the notetaking book
 - 4/4, on track
 - Thinned the seedlings and had a lovely salad from the result.  Still need to do the tree trimming.
 - Very good, 22/22
 - Very good, 21/22
 - Ok, 15/22
 - 9/22, three this week
 - 2/2, will probably hold one more next week

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2020, 02:22:27 PM »
Weekly update a bit late (also late in the evening as it is 10.15 pm here and I should be in bed):
1-3 on track
4 DONE! Already exceeded the goal, with days to spare.
5 I will probably end up at 8 or 9, had a rough period mid month
6 Nothing yet on the papers...
7 Done! We did a really nice long hike with the kids. Nice weather, perfect clothing and good amount of food and snacks, then my kids can walk w/o complaining
8 Work is not good at the moment for outside reasons. Have talked a bit w/mgr and we will have a proper 1 to 1 tomorrow.
9 Done!
10 What can I say - it is papers and it is not done, not even started. This will take my 30 minutes in total so I can still do it before month end. But I don't wanna.....

Weekly update:
Goals 1-4 on track, but I need to do no 1-3 earlier in the day. I also need to add go to bed earlier for next month.
No 5 - I am a bit behind on the strength exercises, but still doable.
No 6 - papers - I have extended the deadline to end of April, due to having painters - we needed to sleep in the living room and it is still very messy there, so difficult to work w/the papers (also, I admit I procrastrinate heavily on this one). There has been some progress but not a lot.
No 7 - plan for this week's four day weekend: Not much yet. I plan to do a hike w/the kids. DS1 is for, DS2 is against... DH has said he will probably join. I do hope the weather will be nice.
No 8 - work - well, sort of but not 100%. Still not good at tracking but trying.
No 9 - yes, completed! So much stuff has left the house - I ended up dropping of a lot at the local charity place (back door outdoor drop off so really good). Also, I cleared out a lot of cardboard/boxes/plastic wrap/bubble wrap so really happy :-). I just missed to bring one item, but that is ok. I have already started a new box for "out of the house"-items.
No 10 - no scanning done yet.

14 days - two full weeks left - I can do a lot more! Progress needed on the papers!

Update from last week:

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2020, 12:20:08 PM »
May Goals:

Continue tracking monthly expenses did very well in this category!
Lose 7 lbs lost 8 pounds
Read 4 books read 6 books
Declutter 50 items decluttered/used up 103 items
Complete 2 more minor household projects complete
Walk minimum of 6 miles/day 6.5 miles per day was the average
Start learning a foriegn lang (at least 15 days) did not happen :(
Find 100 dollars in" free" money found 80 dollars

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2020, 05:20:56 AM »
Final Update:

- Excellent month, 30/31 - MET
 - Finished strong, 26/31 - MET
 - Good week to round it out, 25/31 - MET
 - Going well, 26/31 - MET
 - 10/4, did not finish note-taking book - NOT MET
 - 4/4, MET
 - MET
 - Just having it on my daily checklist seems to do it, 31/31 - MET
 - 30/31 - MET
 - Ok, 21/31
 - 10/31, MET
 - 4/2, MET

mrmoonymartian

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2020, 06:38:00 AM »
Status report:
1. Stay sane #DIV/0! error. Assumes starting condition = sane
%. Flamingos stole my baby
3. Eat more burritos. Raging success!

I guess the moral of the story is that sleep is a waste of precious time that could - nay, should - be spent more wisely on youtube.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2020, 01:48:23 PM »

Well done you guys!

My month has been really tough personally as my husband has decided we are getting divorced, and I am really sad.

Here is my final report:
* Italian every day and Exercise & yoga all days but one, and I have a valid excuse. Success!
* Walking goal was exceeded by far. Success!
* I only did five rounds of strength training (goal was 10) - ok, but goal not met
* Goals 5 & 10 (papers) not met at all. Total failure.
* Time of with kids was good, well planned and executed. Success!
* Work - I have had a hard time for a personal reason  - discussed with boss - ok, but goal not met
* All decluttered items left the house. Success!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2020, 06:40:27 PM »
@LinneaH in the face of your marriage situation, I think you did admirably on your goals.

Final update:

hydration goal: 26/31 days 21/31 days
flossing: 20/31 17/31 days
physical therapy: 20/31 11/31 days
outdoor activity: 17/31 13/31 days

In April there were 9 days where I've hit all 4 goals, will try to match that. Maybe not, it might be more ambitious than I'm up to at the moment 3 days

State tax return DONE!
clean up email inbox (currently 2,464 emails) 858 Will be happy to get down to 500 or fewer 858 by end of month ;)
Adding sleep tracking because that has become necessary tracked 16/16 days, showing improvement but not where I want to be yet.