Author Topic: MAXIMUM MUSTACHE: Read the blog from the beginning  (Read 4600 times)

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
MAXIMUM MUSTACHE: Read the blog from the beginning
« on: January 26, 2018, 02:18:23 PM »
Hi everyone, I thought this might be a fun challenge.  I'd like to re-read the blog from beginning to end to brush up and deepen my commitment to Mustachianism.  I'd love to hear from anyone who might want to join in with feedback on a few items:

1. Location of the thread - here or "Continue the Blog Discussion"?
2. Speed with which we read through the posts - daily?  every other day?  There are about 500 total posts on the blog, so I think daily probably makes the most sense.
3. Any thoughts you have on how to structure the thread and our discussion.

Newbies and oldbies alike welcome!

J_Stache

• Stubble
Re: MAXIMUM MUSTACHE: Read the blog from the beginning
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 02:34:36 PM »
I don't plan on joining, but my suggestion would be X number of posts, weekly.  This will help with allowing discussions to go on for a few days and then moving onto the next batch of blogs.  This will also help more people get into the conversation since not everyone logs on to the forum everyday.  The number of posts to read per week should probably change, since towards the beginning MMM had  few posts that were more like one big post.

After writing that, maybe I will join.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 07:59:48 PM »
I've been following the blog since thhe very early days. I'm five years FIRE now, so I think I'll pass. You kids go on out and play without me. Have fun now, but stay off my lawn!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 06:59:27 AM »
I don't plan on joining, but my suggestion would be X number of posts, weekly.  This will help with allowing discussions to go on for a few days and then moving onto the next batch of blogs.  This will also help more people get into the conversation since not everyone logs on to the forum everyday.  The number of posts to read per week should probably change, since towards the beginning MMM had  few posts that were more like one big post.

After writing that, maybe I will join.

I like the certain number of posts per week format.  I think that will make it easier to keep up.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 08:57:31 AM »
Bump.  Is there any more interest?

Blackeagle

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 06:40:37 PM »
I'm in.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 06:44:13 PM »
I might be up for this post FI....I don't want to tackle home renovations again though. I overpaid for a fixer upper in early 2014 about six months after discovering this blog.  It did get me addicted to a short commute though!

Paul | pdgessler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 06:45:16 PM »
I'd be in, but I already binge-read the entire blog while procrastinating on something else years ago.

I'll read the whole thing again... starting tomorrow.

vikingtantan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 07:25:55 PM »
I'm in. I've been reading the whole blog from the very start since last month. I read a few posts a week or will binge read the posts for a day or two. I'm currently on July 2012 1st post of that month. Since it's a slow day at work today, I plan on knocking out a couple of months of posts.

ulzxhi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 10:08:35 AM »
^ Same. I started reading last year, and couldn't remember where I left off. So I decided to start over again last month. I've been logging it in my journal and am almost done with the first month (April 2011). I'll probably be lurking more than anything else, but I agree that weekly group goals are better than daily.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 10:13:09 AM »
I'm in! I've actually been at it since last February. I've made it up to November 2011 so far.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 10:19:34 AM »
When I started a few years ago, I found it more useful to read the blog backwards. I got the freshest information first, without waiting months to see that Lending Club isn't that useful anymore, for instance.

vikingtantan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 10:09:58 PM »
I'm in. I've been reading the whole blog from the very start since last month. I read a few posts a week or will binge read the posts for a day or two. I'm currently on July 2012 1st post of that month. Since it's a slow day at work today, I plan on knocking out a couple of months of posts.

I've finished all of 2012 on Feb 2nd, 2018. Will be starting Jan 2013 later today.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 08:19:07 AM »
Still haven't read every article but I will honestly say that I enjoy the earlier blog post over the ones from the last couple years. There are some really good ones from several years ago that I have read more than once.

vikingtantan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 04:50:47 AM »

I've finished all of 2012 on Feb 2nd, 2018. Will be starting Jan 2013 later today.

Update: I just finished reading the last blog post. It took me a couple of months, but it's done! Learned sooooo much. :)

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 10:58:45 AM »
I'm in. I started reading back in October I go through phases of reading so I'm only up to November 2011 (5 posts left to finish that month)

As far as organizing this thread Maybe just start off with the first Blog post (or group the first 3 together since they are about introducing the blog and the MMM philosophy) have a short discussion for a day or two then just move on to the next. You can see how the conversation goes for the different blog posts. Some may produce more discussion and need to left "open" for longer and others maybe done sooner. Once the conversation has run it's course move on to the next.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 11:44:42 AM »
Currently at December 15, 2012

haflander

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 11:51:01 AM »
I've read many of the posts but starting in earnest to read the whole thing, started a week or so ago. I want to take it slow and am not moving on to the next article until I've implemented any necessary changes from the previous one. This will result in quickly breezing through a few that don't apply to me, but slowing down when I have a lot of changes to make. I'm keeping a journal to log my progress...it's in my sig.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 04:21:17 PM »
I’ve started this and am reading an article or two every day. It’s nice to get a refresher course in badassity.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 04:28:38 PM »
I have no desire to re-visit the blog. At this point, frankly, Pete’s writing style drives me nuts. But if you get something out of doing it, that’s awesome!