Author Topic: March ~ Weight Loss Challenge  (Read 25042 times)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
Re: March ~ Weight Loss Challenge
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2018, 08:54:07 PM »
Welcome, koshtra :)

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2018, 06:03:48 AM »
Start (2/26): 175.5
3/5: 174
3/12: 173.2

Down 2.3 pounds total--not quite on track for 6 pounds this month, but my BMI hit 29.9, which means I am officially no longer obese!  I'll take it.

Jane X, thank you for starting this thread. Sorry the scale is being stubborn for you--crazy fluctuations are why I stopped weighing in mid-week.  Strangely I've always found my weight goes up right at the end of TOM too (not the beginning or middle).

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2018, 08:21:50 AM »
Went for a run yesterday. First time in a while. Made it 1 mile in 11:16 Hard to believe only a few years ago I was running 3-4 times a week and even completed a marathon! My Best Friend just did her first marathon at the beginning of the month and I really want to get back into it plus it'll help with getting back to my goal weight.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2018, 10:05:03 AM »
...my BMI hit 29.9, which means I am officially no longer obese!  I'll take it.

What a milestone, tightwaddy!!!! Congrats :)))

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2018, 10:26:16 AM »
Yay, tightwaddy! That's excellent.

And brava, haypug16!

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2018, 10:43:58 AM »
Late to the party (for March), but can I still play? -- although my goal is in waist size, not pounds. For March, which I started at 37.9", my goal is 37.1".

(Yes, those are ridiculously precise numbers. I'm a geek. But this is MMM and that's okay, right?)

(I've been at this weight loss thing since May, and my pounds are down around where I want them. But I do want to shrink the rest of this belly. My ultimate goal is 33.75". At that point I get to declare victory, regardless of weight.)

@koshtra - I love this idea!  Everyone keeps saying that measurements are the best way to gauge weight loss.  Give me your goal in inches you want to lose and I'll add you to the list.

If anyone else wants to add a goal in inches, let me know.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:46:03 AM by jane x »

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2018, 10:51:07 AM »
Lessee, for March that would be 0.8
Give me your goal in inches you want to lose and I'll add you to the list.
:-)

Lessee, that would 0.8

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2018, 10:56:32 AM »
Lessee, for March that would be 0.8
Give me your goal in inches you want to lose and I'll add you to the list.
:-)

Lessee, that would 0.8

Done!  You've inspired me to actually take measurements and pay attention this month so that I can set a goal in inches for April.  Thanks!  :)

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2018, 11:03:04 AM »
The trouble with steering by waist measurement, generally, is that the measurement tolerances are a lot larger than the amount you want to lose per week. I mean, I want to lose about 0.2 inches per week, but daily fluctuations and measurement error can easily be 0.6. So no one measurement tells me very much.

This is somewhat true of weight and scales, too, of course -- my scales can vary up to two lbs either way of "true," even leaving aside the fluctuations of my body weight (which also fluctuates a pound and a half per so in the course of a day). But the scales are at least less prone to human error.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2018, 11:13:06 AM »
Yeah, I guess you can manipulate a tape measure a lot more easily than a scale!  But all the weight loss advice says that measuring is a better way to gauge loss.  Very confusing.  Probably the best way is a tight pair of pants.  :) 

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2018, 11:17:26 AM »
Probably the best way is a tight pair of pants.

But nonstretchy :)

That's what I'm really going with. Weight is too meaningless. When I can put certain clothes on again, and when others are simply comfier/looser/roomier, I know I'm on track. I've owned the same small set of clothes for quite a few years. Four items consistently tell me where I'm at: "time to let some size go" or "good to go, carry on."

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2018, 11:53:17 AM »
Waist is better than weight in that it varies less (proportionally) with water-weight and it varies in the right way with body composition (which is what we're usually actually after.) If you're building muscle and losing fat, the scale may tell you you're going backwards whereas the measuring tape will tell you you're doing great.

Clothes are even better, as Joon says, but clothes won't give you numbers to play with. Dealbreaker for me :-)

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2018, 08:47:24 PM »
I'm feeling really grateful for past experience. Now I know the following mean nothing in relation to health or weight:
*what size I feel like in my body
*what displays on the scale
*what my eyes see in the mirror.

In my mid 20's I dropped from 220 lbs to 155 lbs. over the course of about 2 years.   I can say that the above is certainly true when it comes to smaller fluctuations of a few pounds plus or minus. 

I held steady around 155 for a few years, but over the last couple I've gradually crept up to where I am now.  As my weight has crept up, so have my blood pressure and cholesterol, and I'm starting to see some very early signs of insulin resistance.  I don't have the stamina or the self confidence I did when I was smaller. On a larger scale, weight matters. 

Sadly, I know I have to be a bit obsessive to lose weight. I'm naturally a procrastinator and "moderation" easily turns into " I'll eat right and work out tomorrow" for me.

I'm interested in this measurement idea, since it's better than just weight in many ways, but I feel like trying to always measure the exact same spot would drive me nuts. My fitness pal has a place to track measurements, maybe I'll try that too. 

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2018, 08:56:01 PM »
In my mid 20's I dropped from 220 lbs to 155 lbs. over the course of about 2 years.   I can say that the above is certainly true when it comes to smaller fluctuations of a few pounds plus or minus. 

I held steady around 155 for a few years, but over the last couple I've gradually crept up to where I am now.  As my weight has crept up, so have my blood pressure and cholesterol, and I'm starting to see some very early signs of insulin resistance.  I don't have the stamina or the self confidence I did when I was smaller. On a larger scale, weight matters. 

Ah, yes, thank you for this clarification, neophyte. Yes, I was referring to those fluctuations of 1-3 pounds while we're following our plan. Weight can most definitely be one important health indicator, I agree.

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2018, 08:01:50 AM »
...my BMI hit 29.9, which means I am officially no longer obese!  I'll take it.

What a milestone, tightwaddy!!!! Congrats :)))

And brava, haypug16!

Thank you both!  Reveling in each milestone really helps with keeping focus :)

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2018, 04:30:16 PM »

And brava, haypug16!

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2018, 09:05:15 PM »
11 hour day at work and free food. I blew my calorie goal for the day. 
Just gotta stick to the planned workout schedule and do better tomorrow! Wish me luck!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2018, 09:07:46 PM »
Wish me luck!

Good luck :)))))    You can do it!!!

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2018, 10:11:13 PM »
Just gotta stick to the planned workout schedule and do better tomorrow! Wish me luck!

Ai. Eleven hours and free food is a deadly combo. (Putting free food in front of a Mustachian is really not fair!)

But if you pulled off the 220 -> 155 feat, you can pull off this one. Back into the fray! (Hopefully after a good long restorative sleep!)

Greyweld

• Pencil Stache
  • Get healthy, save money, kick ass
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2018, 10:19:43 PM »
I would like to join in for the remainder of the month! Since I only have half a month left, I would like to lose 2 lbs. My weight can fluctuate a lot, so we'll call success being at 175 or less for 3 days straight.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2018, 02:49:32 AM »
I lost 2 lbs somehow, despite barely getting in workouts or tracking food. Maybe the tracking makes me feel hungrier because I think about food more? I might just be dehydrated too. Last two nights of sleep have been a little better so now I can maybe focus on health a little more.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2018, 02:51:16 AM »
I would like to join in for the remainder of the month! Since I only have half a month left, I would like to lose 2 lbs. My weight can fluctuate a lot, so we'll call success being at 175 or less for 3 days straight.

Welcome Greyweld!!!

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2018, 07:35:17 AM »
Hey, welcome MrsWolfeRN and Greyweld!

Wednesday morning is weekly averages day for me. March looks like this so far:

February 28: 170.2 lbs, 37.9"
March 7:       169.2 lbs, 37.7"
March 14:     168.2 lbs, 37.5"

Just squeaked in: absurdly low numbers this morning. I think I've got portion creep going at dinner: I'm going to have to go portion Nazi for a bit, and make sure that my 1/3 lb of burger is actually 1/3 lb. I hate weighing food, but I really can't trust myself to estimate properly when I'm hungry.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2018, 08:08:04 AM »
Weighted in this morning

March 5th - 129.4
March 9th - 128.8
March 14th - 127.4
End of March goal - 125.4
2/4 lbs

Half way there! This blizzard kept me from my run yesterday but I'm hoping going out tonight to make up for it!

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2018, 10:51:06 AM »

Welcome Greyweld!  You've been added.

mnelson189

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2018, 12:33:09 PM »
I'm late, but I'm in!

Last two weeks of March: Goal - 3 lb

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2018, 04:24:06 PM »
I was going to open some prosecco tonight, but remembered the weigh in tomorrow....Sparkling water it is.  Thanks accountability group.  I had meatloaf for lunch though so I need to eat a salad or soup for dinner.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2018, 04:28:14 PM »
Welcome new folks! 

Ai. Eleven hours and free food is a deadly combo. (Putting free food in front of a Mustachian is really not fair!)

But if you pulled off the 220 -> 155 feat, you can pull off this one. Back into the fray! (Hopefully after a good long restorative sleep!)

I hope so.  I was more motivated back then.  I'm trying to get my motivation levels back up. 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:07:09 PM by neophyte »

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2018, 08:35:55 AM »
I'm just going to start today because I totally forgot yesterday was 3/1.....

145. The goal is below 140 by the end of this month. I feel like I lose the same 10-15 pounds over and over and over.

I am sipping my protein shake for breakfast and have a salad planned for lunch. My goal is 15 soups and 15 salads in March with protein shake/poached egg/oatmeal rotation for breakfasts.
I had some good days (fasted 36 hours) and some bad days. (I kind of think birthdays don't really count as cheating).  The scale read 143 today, so I'll take it!  The next two weeks have nothing exciting in them, so I'm hoping to be way down. (St. Pats has cabbage in it, so you can make that pretty low cal.)

3/15/18 141 - I am liking the accountability. I haven't been as good about the exercise piece, so I'm going to work on that for the rest of the month.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2018, 10:35:57 AM »
I'm late, but I'm in!

Last two weeks of March: Goal - 3 lb

Welcome @mnelson189!  You've been added.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2018, 11:23:02 AM »
I think I might need to cut back on calories or add some exercise.  It's mid-month and now that my lady business is over, the scale is barely budging in the down direction.  If I want to meet my goal, I need to hustle for the next couple of weeks. 

For calorie cutting, I know that I need to add more veggies, but can I say that I get tired of all the prep?  My fave is kale, but it's a hassle - washing it thoroughly to remove all the sand/dirt, chopping, steaming.  And then it has the gall to shrink down in cooking so that you have to do this everyday!  :)

Exercise - I've been lazy.  No two ways about it.  I need to start my 30-Day Shred back up.  Anyone interested in doing a buddy system for exercise?  I think accountability and public embarrassment would help me.  :)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2018, 12:15:36 PM »
...I know that I need to add more veggies, but can I say that I get tired of all the prep?  My fave is kale, but it's a hassle - washing it thoroughly to remove all the sand/dirt, chopping, steaming.

I'm 100% shortcutting on the veggies -almost all bought frozen currently, including kale and other leafy greens. This is largely due to the quantity, quality, cost, and environmental concerns re: fresh veggies available in a Canadian winter, but man, it's also awesome for the prep! :)

I can't do everything, and pre-prepped veggies (frozen or otherwise) is a place I give myself some help.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2018, 05:42:12 AM »
I'm down another pound, for a total of two. Still no sugar.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: March 16, 2018, 09:11:23 AM »
I'm down another pound, for a total of two. Still no sugar.

Way to go!

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2018, 11:21:38 AM »
I'm at 172.6,  down another 0.4 lbs (though that's within the margin of error for my scale) today for a total loss of 1.4 lbs out of a goal of 5.  I was hoping for a bigger loss this week and I'm discouraged.  Thought about throwing in the towel this morning, but I'm really interested in collecting the data on this.  I averaged 1469 calories (1236-1772) and 10,280 steps a day (3773-15,678) for the week.  I know about 1200-1400 calories is weight loss range for me and 1400-1600 is maintenance.  I'm not surprised by the lack of progress from a data perspective, but based on my hunger levels I would have expected more.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2018, 11:56:58 AM »
I'm at 172.6,  down another 0.4 lbs (though that's within the margin of error for my scale) today for a total loss of 1.4 lbs out of a goal of 5.  I was hoping for a bigger loss this week and I'm discouraged.  Thought about throwing in the towel this morning, but I'm really interested in collecting the data on this.  I averaged 1469 calories (1236-1772) and 10,280 steps a day (3773-15,678) for the week.  I know about 1200-1400 calories is weight loss range for me and 1400-1600 is maintenance.  I'm not surprised by the lack of progress from a data perspective, but based on my hunger levels I would have expected more.

For me the data makes all the difference. And that's why I like tracking the waist measurements too: often when one of the numbers is confounding the other one is reassuring. It's only when they both give you bad news for several days straight that you have to think about stepping it up. (Stepping it down? Whatever.)

The hunger's a weird thing -- for me it doesn't track very well with the weight loss. I'm at the end of a long haul of losing, 222 last May, 168 now, aiming for a pound a week, and I've only been really hungry -- I mean, all-day hungry -- a couple times. Both times I was thinking "maybe I just need to level off for a bit," but then both times it just went away again.

I am wondering about keeping the motivation up for long term maintenance, like you're doing. For me now it's just so exciting, because I haven't weighed this little in... what, forty-five years? So I've got this brand new body. But a couple years from now, when I drift up, it'll just be the same old body I'm trying to get back to... it must be harder to generate the enthusiasm.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2018, 03:39:35 PM »
I'm still hanging in there, my weekly average was 3 lbs above goal, so I am down 2 lbs for March. I'm not sure how because I haven't been getting many workouts in or tracking my food. On the bright side, baby has been sleeping better the past few nights so I feel healthier.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2018, 05:40:23 PM »
I am wondering about keeping the motivation up for long term maintenance, like you're doing. For me now it's just so exciting, because I haven't weighed this little in... what, forty-five years? So I've got this brand new body. But a couple years from now, when I drift up, it'll just be the same old body I'm trying to get back to... it must be harder to generate the enthusiasm.

Congratulations on your weight loss! That's a fantastic accomplishment. I feel like I'm doing penance for not keeping up with maintenance at this point.  It's really not as exciting as losing the first time was. The first time I hit the 170 or so, I was over the moon. I hadn't seen that since middle school! And everytime I saw a lower number it upped my motivation.  I did really well for a few years and it honestly wasn't that difficult for me. I think in order to lose large amounts of weight you really adapt to the lifestyle changes and if you continue in that vein, you can do pretty well.  Over the years where I was successful I weighed myself regularly and if I got outside of my 155-160 range, I'd reign myself back in for a few weeks and be back on track.  Remembering how hard it was to lose in the first place kept me motivated not to gain it back. I can pretty much tell you exactly where the extra weight I'm trying to get rid of now came from, and it's mostly not long term "lifestyle inflation" if you will. Five-7 lbs are due to the breakup of a long term relationship, and the rest were accumulated at a rate of about 2-3 lbs per year during the annual Thanksgiving-New Year's eating orgy. I usually gain about 8 lbs around Christmas, and then lose 5 in January. Keep that up for a couple years though, and it adds up. Don't drift up, it's not worth it.

As an aside I really like the "down dog" yoga app.  Every time I use the app I give myself a mental pat on the back for saving $15-$20 by not paying for a class.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 05:49:52 PM by neophyte »

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2018, 06:13:17 PM »
On track- 2.7 lbs down!

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2018, 04:53:25 AM »
Start (2/26): 175.5
3/5: 174
3/12: 173.2
3/19: 171.3

Down 4.2 total in 3 weeks. 1.8 more to go for March!

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2018, 05:08:21 AM »

Our data are so comparable, though I've lost a bit more this month (could be a lucky fluke). I started at 175.5 a couple of days before 3/1 and was at 171.3 this morning. So 4.2 pounds in a touch more than 3 weeks. Average calories are a little lower than yours (1357), steps a bit lower (5309).  Some of those steps are cardio (dance), plus averaging 20 flights of stairs a day. I shoot for a 40-30-30 but probably end up more like 40-35-25.  It's a large amount of fat (full dairy like greek yogurt, avocado, coconut oil, nuts) and I find that occasionally I have to eat extra at the end of the day because I'm only at 1000 and pretty satisfied.  I also haven't been drinking at all for five weeks, which made dropping calories (and probably pounds) much easier.

I've been pretty obsessive about the tracking for this challenge--weighing and measuring and counting everything. Eating the same foods frequently helps make that easier (e.g., oatmeal with protein powder and a banana almost every morning).  I do the think the high fat content helps prevent the crazy hunger.

I think it also makes a big difference where you are in your weight loss process.  I've really begun in earnest with this challenge, so I was ambitious with my goal knowing it's always easier the first several weeks.  In April I'll pick 4 pounds, because 1# a week is more realistic based on past experience.

And, ultimately down is down, right?  It's a marathon not a sprint.

Razzle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2018, 05:22:07 AM »
I weighed in on 3/15 but forgot to post. Not as big a loss as I'd hoped, I really need to step it up:

3/1: 166.4
3/8: 166.4
3/15: 165.4 (-1 lb)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2018, 09:38:14 AM »
I am cursing my MIL this morning....she gave me a box of madeleine cookies and tea cakes for my birthday along with a bunch of other great gifts (they shop well).  I've eaten 4 tea cakes today on top of a dinner out at Outback Steakhouse complete with Blooming Onion.  Tuesday-Thursday are going to be protein shake/weight loss cabbage soup fasting days for sure....

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2018, 11:37:38 AM »
March 1 - 137.8
March 8 - 136.6
March 19 - 135.6

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2018, 01:45:48 PM »
I am cursing my MIL this morning....she gave me a box of madeleine cookies and tea cakes for my birthday along with a bunch of other great gifts (they shop well).  I've eaten 4 tea cakes today on top of a dinner out at Outback Steakhouse complete with Blooming Onion.  Tuesday-Thursday are going to be protein shake/weight loss cabbage soup fasting days for sure....

I was so stoked about myself last week. My birthday, the office had a little party, lots of devastatingly good pastry, and -- this is the killer -- the tradition of the office is that the birthday person TAKES THE LEFTOVERS HOME. And, this being an office full of slender women, there actually are serious, delicious leftovers. So at the party I ate sociably but moderately, I took the leftovers home, set them on the table where they sat beckoning to me for a couple hours, and when my wife got home from work I delegated getting rid of them to her. Leftovers gone, birthday over, whole incident done, still on track. (True, my wife will be a couple pounds up this week, but hey. Not my bailiwick.)

If this is going to work longterm, I need to be able to do the food celebration thing: there's just no getting around that.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2018, 01:46:58 PM »
Yay, asauer, tx2rva, & tightwaddy!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:50:04 PM by koshtra »

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2018, 02:06:41 PM »
I weighed in on 3/15 but forgot to post. Not as big a loss as I'd hoped, I really need to step it up:

3/1: 166.4
3/8: 166.4
3/15: 165.4 (-1 lb)

Yay for the pound this week, though!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2018, 07:17:39 PM »
So at the party I ate sociably but moderately, I took the leftovers home, set them on the table where they sat beckoning to me for a couple hours, and when my wife got home from work I delegated getting rid of them to her. Leftovers gone, birthday over, whole incident done, still on track.

Holy, koshtra!!!! Great going!!!! :)))))

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2018, 10:36:22 PM »
I was delighted to see today that the scale showed 10 pounds less than Feb 15th. All quite effortlessly, without hunger or trouble or counting or weighing, etc. This was based on my Lenten commitment to a specific eating plan, which I'll be continuing until Maundy Thursday or something.

Again, not putting much focus on the scale itself, but it was nice to see this, especially after it bounced up for my period. When I go to put on clothes I finally bought a few months ago, the difference is clear. I'm at my very comfy weight/size again.

Shortly, my kid and I are going to trial working on gym equipment at the same time. That sounds fun to me :)   This of course may also increase weight, and that's okay!

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2018, 10:42:19 AM »
So at the party I ate sociably but moderately, I took the leftovers home, set them on the table where they sat beckoning to me for a couple hours, and when my wife got home from work I delegated getting rid of them to her.

I was delighted to see today that the scale showed 10 pounds less than Feb 15th. All quite effortlessly, without hunger or trouble or counting or weighing, etc. This was based on my Lenten commitment to a specific eating plan, which I'll be continuing until Maundy Thursday or something.

Awesome both of you!

I went a bit nuts last night and way overate, but I saw a loss on the scale this morning despite that.  Maybe I'm finally due to get off this plateau if I can keep on track. I've hit my calorie goal for the day already and it's not even 1 pm.  I'm hoping veggies and decaf tea will be enough to keep me going for the rest of the day.