Author Topic: March Cycling Challenge 2017  (Read 3867 times)

jordanread

March Cycling Challenge 2017
« on: March 01, 2017, 07:47:22 AM »
The cycling challenge for March 2017 is up and ready for you to start (or continue) riding!!
If you logged miles last month, and selected "Remember Me" on the form, you have been added to this month's sheet already.

If you didn't log miles last month, or are a new participant
Click here to fill out the form.
You can access the sheet directly at this link.
I can manually grab your historical data too, so if it's off, just let me know.  If they aren't there within a day, or you have any other issues with the sheet, hit me up via email, Google+ Hangouts, PM, or just comment on this thread.
You can also join the MMM Strava Group for additional metrics and motivation. Happy Biking.

jordanread

Re: March Cycling Challenge 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 07:51:22 AM »
Oh, and please let me know if you notice something wonky with the sheet. No errors in any of the automated scripts I ran, so I only did a quick spot check.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 03:12:01 PM »
Didn't see an issue when I added in my new data.

jordanread

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 09:13:13 PM »
Glad to hear it. It's usually an error in the scripts that cause any issues (or I forget to turn on link sharing), and when they run fine, they should work. Glad to hear that's confirmed.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 02:03:16 AM »
In April I am moving to my own studio apartment.  As such the bike that I've been commuting with will be staying with the room it came with.  This gave me a great excuse to purchase a new commuter and sort of combine it with my birthday which happens to be in April.

I've been doing a lot of training this winter and gearing up for race season.  The choice of commuter is sort of oriented towards multiple purposes to save space.  I really want to work on bike handling and figure that what better way than to try racing some cross this year.  A group I ride with does some gravel rides each year, and I know some cyclecross racers, and watching some of the videos it seems like it's a great time to have.  Since I've been using a backpack for commuting I don't necessarily require a rack.  I decided to go with a cyclecross bike.

First thing I noticed after bringing my newest member of our bike family home was carrying it up stairs was a breeze.  The geometry of the frame gives enough room that picking it up near the seat post my elbow makes it through the triangle and I could easily shoulder the bike if need be.  All aluminum it is pretty light, though of course not as light as my carbon road bike, but lighter than the heavy mountain bike I'd been riding.  I can hardly wait to try it out a bit more off road.  I also have some new pedals and shoes coming in from Nashbar to outfit it with that will let me clip in but still be able to walk around at work.  The style of pedals are sort of a dual flat/clipless system so if I wanted to do a quick run to the store without the cleated shoes I can just wear any street shoes.

Probably the biggest difference, though, with this bike is that I don't dread riding it, even in the crappy rain we've been stuck with for the last month and a half, which is also forecasted into the foreseeable future.  It's comfortable, the chain doesn't skip when I go over 18mph (bad cassette as I've already replaced the chain), and has nice drop handlebars similar to my road bike but in a slightly more upright position.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 11:45:45 AM »
I'm back on board -- rode less than 50 miles in Jan/Feb but was able to do a 20 mile ride in 20F last week without needing multiple hits off my inhaler ;) so good to go for spring! The only downside is that my morning commute is now in total darkness again for the next 3 weeks!

Anyone doing 30 Days of Biking? I made the pledge :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 11:47:37 AM by katscratch »

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 10:31:36 AM »
I'm back on board -- rode less than 50 miles in Jan/Feb but was able to do a 20 mile ride in 20F last week without needing multiple hits off my inhaler ;) so good to go for spring! The only downside is that my morning commute is now in total darkness again for the next 3 weeks!

Anyone doing 30 Days of Biking? I made the pledge :)

Great to have you back!
Unfortunately I won't be able to fully participate in 30 days of biking due to some planned travel in the middle of the month.
--

The new bike has made a great improvement so far in both my daily commute and my other car replacement activities.  This weekend I rode over to Portland and met up with some Chinese learners at a cafe where we ended up extending the meetup by 2 hours because we were all having such a great time.  Last night, though, I tested out Zipcar for the first time.  The closest car ended up being an 8mi bike ride.  Still felt pretty badass coming back and getting my weekly grocery shopping done.  Great sunny weather so I also got a great group ride in.

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 12:59:24 PM »
The snow is melting and I'm determined to log some miles this month. I had an knee injury skiing last month and could really use biking to build some strength and get my knee flexibility back. I'm in.

TMBear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 01:56:51 PM »
I'm back on wheels as well, due to my wife completed her new job training. I'm still responsible for kids Mon&Fri, but the rest is up to me to challenge myself. (Un)fortunately I missed snow/icy conditions here in Seattle in Feb :)

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 08:15:05 AM »
I've been on my bike 8 days in a row! Barring a major spring snowstorm - I'm going to try for 30 days of biking in a row... and get my summer habits started early this year :)

Been mostly to and from work, but I have had three errands on the weekend.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 04:41:13 AM »
So far two and a quarter months of being essentially bike only.  I have taken a Zipcar twice when in a bind.  My wife is moving back to the states in mid-April and we'll see how she adapts to our car free lifestyle.

Funny thing we had heard, one of our friends is moving back to Taiwan due to their contract ending with their current employer.  They had bought a Mercedes C300 for $48k, drove it for two years, sold it back to the dealership for $28k and paid off the loan with a few grand left over.  They said that we should lease a vehicle, it would be cheaper than rent.  I ran some calculations on their car, and their payments, before considering the need for full coverage insurance, were at least $1,000/mo.  It just simply amazes me at how expenses cars can be if you just go with the "American Dream", especially the stereotypical high tech worker buying luxury cars.  This is the same person who complained when their rent went up by $20/mo to just around $1,200.  No wonder they said leasing would be cheaper than rent when their last car was possibly more!

Running the costs I figure if Zipcar keeps our transportation costs below about $400/mo we are winning with not taking on the burden of car ownership.  Under $300, though, is probably where it's easier to argue that with my wife.  Below $200 and I think it's a no brainer.  At the most optimal rate of $74/day we could take a car once a week for a full day and be at $300/mo.  For those not familiar with Zipcar, they include gas and insurance in their rates.

I'll leave my calculations for my journal.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 03:10:16 PM »
I rerun the car numbers at least four times a year. I hate "needing" it but oh man did I appreciate having the option to drive after several years of no car.

Wow, I'm impressed how many are already gearing up with spring riding! Way to go!

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 11:17:48 PM »
Commute home to finish of the month foe me.

The big wet yesterday, riding through the remnants of Cyclone Debbie, will be something to remember.

But the month has been capped off in a shitty way by legendary long distance racer and Transcontinental Race Director, Mike Hall being killed by a driver while racing the Indy Pacific Wheel Race, this morning, just outside of Canberra.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 01:22:42 PM »
I requested to join the Strava group.  I'm pretty consistent with logging my rides; it's kind of fun tracking my progress.

jordanread

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 01:31:31 PM »
New challenge will be up a bit earlier than usual tomorrow morning. As long as your miles are input tonight, they will be brought over for next month.

jordanread

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 12:50:57 PM »
Did I say earlier than usual? I totally meant that I will wake up earlier than usual, do stuff, and then remember to do the challenge around the regular time. :) Sorry.

New challenge is up and located here: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/april-cycling-challenge-2017/