Author Topic: Low Buy Year / No Buy Year 2021  (Read 4315 times)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
Re: Low Buy Year / No Buy Year 2021
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2021, 02:49:22 PM »
Contemplating replacing uncomfortable thin leather backpack straps with more comfortable webbing straps and even found a cute one on etsy for $60 that the shop owner would make to the length I want, and then I tried changing how I looped the existing strap and may have solved the problem without spending a cent. [I reserve the right to buy the straps if the problem resurfaces on my next commute+laptop]

Once I turned a messenger bag into a backpack with a dual chamber carabier. So for just a few bucks I was able to solve the problem rather than get a whole new bag. I hope your re-looped strap creatively solves your problem!

@meadow lark that is a lot of baths! I am a shower person, but you are right, it shouldn't be misery. The shower here is/was really bad - low pressure, long time to get hot water, dirty. I've systematically solved these problems or adjusted my routine to make them not-problems without spending any money, so I think $1.09 is OK to get the place in good order for me.

I like @Cassie 's suggestion of a basket or box on the toilet tank, if all you want is a bit more TP.

@lazycow you are killing it!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2021, 11:54:12 PM »
It's been a few days and I haven't had the desire to buy anything. Instead, I've been experiencing a bit of extra energy, which I used to take a few walks and repot a few plants and do some cooking. I did buy the potting soil recently, but for some reason I didn't have any thought of holding back on that for the low-buy year. It's just hard to keep it in mind at all times.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2021, 10:06:38 AM »
Well, the point isn’t to never buy things.  I think the point is joy.  And to carefully evaluate if each purchase really brings joy, or if there is another creative way.  At least that’s my goal.  To move the automatic to the conscious.
I bought a step ladder.   I nearly killed myself by standing on a chair and falling off it.  I’m happy with my purchase.

I have a basket on the back of my toilet tank.  I have essential oils in it, and it can fit 2 rolls of TP.  Maybe that’s enough.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2021, 03:51:24 PM »
What has helped me make decisions on buying things is Thoreau’s directive:  Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity.  It doesn’t mean I never buy anything, but it means I ask myself “will this purchase make my life simpler or more complicated?”  Minimalism, to me, is more about the look, while simplicity is more about the function.  Sometimes it takes more of something to make life simpler, ironically enough.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2021, 04:31:08 PM »
@SunnyDays I love that! I bought a beautiful glazed bowl yesterday at the local op shop for $5. I had intended to just drop off a box of donations but was lured in by the $1 bags of passionfruit at the entrance (they often sell cheap seasonal produce people donate.)
 It will be our dedicated salad bowl as we didn't have one. Usually we use a not-quite big enough pasta bowl and it irritated me for years. I am also on the lookout for a 2nd pair of kitchen tongs, and recently added a 2nd wooden spoon to my kitchen utensils. Minimalism can be taken too far, especially with 4 adults all using the kitchen 2-3 times a day!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2021, 11:26:01 PM »
Good points, @meadow lark and @SunnyDays ! It would make me happy to keep these plants alive, but it does complicate my life a bit as they all seem to want different care and conditions.

I'm now looking at the potting soil as an experiment, which in itself is joyful. I can grow pothos, but many other plants have withered under my care. Currently I have 11 plants. This is crazy amounts of plants; usually I only have 1 pothos. But I only bought a mint ($4.99 with a $5 off coupon) and one bag of potting soil, much was given to me as housewarming gifts. We'll see if anything survives, and if not, I'll finally once and for all know I'm not a plant person and not to buy pots, plants or soil again (except for the pothos that gets new soil every couple years).

@meadow lark 2 rolls could be enough. Once you get down to 1 roll in the basket, you can replenish from wherever you store the rest. And you don't even have to do it right away, since that second backup roll is there. I had 2 rolls in a basket on the tank for many years. It worked well. I *feel* like only 1 backup roll *should* be needed, but in actuality, my anxiety likes 2 rolls better.

@lazycow the right number of kitchen implements/dishes is a beautiful thing!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2021, 11:05:51 AM »
Hah.  I had only one plant for years, a snake plant that I could totally ignore for weeks at a time and it still looked the same.  But I didn't take my own advice, and caved to the cute little plants at the hardware store, and now I have 7 that all have different requirements.  Plus, I'm not home for a stretch of 10 days a month.  What was I thinking?  I do like them though, and I'm hoping that as they get bigger they'll require less care, because the soil won't dry out as fast.  But is definitely not simple.

It's impossible to kill a mint.  Those things will survive nuclear war.  Just don't plant it outside if you don't want it invading the whole yard.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2021, 12:35:27 PM »
Hah.  I had only one plant for years, a snake plant that I could totally ignore for weeks at a time and it still looked the same.  But I didn't take my own advice, and caved to the cute little plants at the hardware store, and now I have 7 that all have different requirements.  Plus, I'm not home for a stretch of 10 days a month.  What was I thinking?  I do like them though, and I'm hoping that as they get bigger they'll require less care, because the soil won't dry out as fast.  But is definitely not simple.

It's impossible to kill a mint.  Those things will survive nuclear war.  Just don't plant it outside if you don't want it invading the whole yard.

The mint is in a pot outdoors. Do you think it could "jump" into the ground? Or is this safe?

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2021, 03:04:07 PM »
I *wish* my mint was unkillable! Somehow I have killed multiples. The current bat h lloked like it was going well then a possum or something decided to eat more of the leaves.
@oneday pot outside is the normal protocol, you should be safe.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2021, 03:31:42 PM »
Thank you mspym!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2021, 04:48:03 PM »
Well, it depends on what kind of mint you have.  If it has runners, it’s possible for it to send ones out that will attach to dirt.  But likely it will be okay.  I had a chocolate mint that started out a little thing in a pot, but once planted into the ground, grew into a shrub in 3 years.  I loved the smell, but it started sprouting between patio blocks, so I had to take it out.  And this was with -35C winters.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2021, 06:53:49 PM »
On the subject of gardens--I also had to replant mint as mine died..

I live in a townhouse (no yard) so everything has to live in pots/containers on the front & back patios (we do have access to herbs at our community garden plot..but it's 4 km away so I also like to keep things nearby which I use on the regular).

However chives (also pretty indestructible) somehow found their way into my hanging basket--so now I am set for chives this summer :)

I did buy some gardening supplies this week, seeds, flower snips, etc. It's my main hobby (besides hiking and lake jumping) in the summer and we grow a lot of food so I don't mind putting out $50 now (I am starting some flowers such as lavender & nasturtium as well..I love making our home a haven for pollinators)

I am in total agreement about keeping things simple but not necessarily making minimalism the end goal..it's become a bit of a cultural obsession but I find having the proper tools for the activities I want to accomplish is equally important.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2021, 02:13:32 PM »
Well, it depends on what kind of mint you have.  If it has runners, it’s possible for it to send ones out that will attach to dirt.  But likely it will be okay.  I had a chocolate mint that started out a little thing in a pot, but once planted into the ground, grew into a shrub in 3 years.  I loved the smell, but it started sprouting between patio blocks, so I had to take it out.  And this was with -35C winters.

Good to know. I have it in a spot near sorry [ETA: that's supposed to be "dirt"], so I'll either move it or keep a close eye on it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 08:01:54 PM by oneday »

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2021, 11:53:48 PM »
It is interesting to me that changing my mindset regarding spending money can have an effect so quickly. The days I set out to spend Zero dollars I am not remotely tempted by stuff, but once I have spent money on anything, even groceries, my grip on it loosens. That is okay though, because often I deny myself simple things (see above, kitchen tongs) that make life easier, and now I am giving myself permission to buy the damn thing, especially if it is on my List. This weekend it was the purchase of a pair of small secateurs for pruning. My husband has 2 pairs which are too big for my little hands, and these new ones (made in Germany, ergonomically sound) feel just wonderful. I waited 10 years to buy them, what an idiot!!

This morning I drifted aimlessly around a couple of op shops (I'd already bought my son a new pair of school trousers at the uniform shop so...) before I snapped myself out of it. I currently need nothing and the time would be better spent knitting a new pair of socks, reading one of the half-finished books lying around the house and having a nap.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2021, 03:46:02 PM »
Our patio receives brutal heat/direct sunshine all afternoon. I was browsing patio umbrellas and decided to try to make a triangular sun shade curtain.

It's a bit of a big project but I have a big sheet and am stitching it all together, will need to buy some screws with eyes for the edges of the patio and maybe some type of hooking attachment for the curtain.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2021, 07:50:45 PM »
It is interesting to me that changing my mindset regarding spending money can have an effect so quickly. The days I set out to spend Zero dollars I am not remotely tempted by stuff, but once I have spent money on anything, even groceries, my grip on it loosens. That is okay though, because often I deny myself simple things (see above, kitchen tongs) that make life easier, and now I am giving myself permission to buy the damn thing, especially if it is on my List. This weekend it was the purchase of a pair of small secateurs for pruning. My husband has 2 pairs which are too big for my little hands, and these new ones (made in Germany, ergonomically sound) feel just wonderful. I waited 10 years to buy them, what an idiot!!

This morning I drifted aimlessly around a couple of op shops (I'd already bought my son a new pair of school trousers at the uniform shop so...) before I snapped myself out of it. I currently need nothing and the time would be better spent knitting a new pair of socks, reading one of the half-finished books lying around the house and having a nap.
I hear you. It’s amazing how much my resolve loosens after an initial purchase, and how much easier it is to control spending when I don’t buy anything.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2021, 02:27:54 PM »

I hear you. It’s amazing how much my resolve loosens after an initial purchase, and how much easier it is to control spending when I don’t buy anything.

+1

That's why this thread is so valuable; to help get back to the low-spend value system when the rest of the world makes it tough.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2021, 09:07:21 PM »
I’m helping a friend move today and tomorrow.  She is not a minimalist.  I think she has more stuff in her kitchen than I have in my whole house!
April was definitely more of a low buy for me than a no buy month, but that’s okay.  Bought an Easter gift for my grandson, a birthday gift for my wife, some craft supplies - around $13 for 2 fairy doors and a new wreath, a stepladder and a pitcher for ice tea.  Maybe 1-2 other things I’ve forgotten. 

My new task/goal/project is that I don’t like my dining room table.  Refinish?  But another?  Get a tablecloth?  Working on it.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2021, 10:48:38 PM »
ML, good luck on that move. Let us know what you come up with for the table.

If we're doing month end wrap ups: the only tangible thing I bought that was totally unnecessary was special potting soil for cacti/succulents. I could have used the regular potting soil, I guess. But a friend volunteered a cutting from her jade plant and I wanted to give it the best chance of survival. I do not have a green thumb.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2021, 09:18:11 AM »
Ml, what about making a hanging shelf for the bathroom? That would way it would be both decorative and functional. I was thinking something similar to this, but there are other ideas on Pinterest.

Going back to what someone said about knowing in advance if something will be worth it, a couple of years ago I bought a small mirrorless camera for travel. Travel and photography, those are two of the things that bring me joy. However, I didn't trust it to take good photos, especially at night, so I ended up hauling my big camera along with me too, which is what I wanted to avoid. So now, I am looking for a better mirrorless camera, and I will sell the little one. I have come to think of it as my toy camera. Oh well, it was a good learning experience. I am also trying to sell some other stuff to fund it. I think of it as trading in stuff I don't need/want for stuff I do need/want.

Clearly I don't belong on this thread. Lol.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2021, 08:40:29 PM »
   Not sure if I belong here either!  My city flooded 2 weeks ago and everything touching the floor was destroyed.  Including the kitchen, the flooring, the bathroom vanities, etc. 
So far we haven’t bought that much  (4 dehumidifiers, insulation to replace what we cut out, anti-mold chemicals.)
   We did order a mattress, which was a mistake, but at the time we thought we needed it to move back in the house.  We ended up borrowing some surprisingly comfy old mattresses from our in-laws.  I would have rather bought a new one after we finished sheet rocking and painting.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2021, 09:19:04 PM »
   Not sure if I belong here either!  My city flooded 2 weeks ago and everything touching the floor was destroyed.  Including the kitchen, the flooring, the bathroom vanities, etc. 
So far we haven’t bought that much  (4 dehumidifiers, insulation to replace what we cut out, anti-mold chemicals.)
   We did order a mattress, which was a mistake, but at the time we thought we needed it to move back in the house.  We ended up borrowing some surprisingly comfy old mattresses from our in-laws.  I would have rather bought a new one after we finished sheet rocking and painting.

If you lost more than you bought then you are negative on buying for the year. You are a badass!!!

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2021, 12:33:20 PM »
Haha!  I love it!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!