Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2019  (Read 59326 times)

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
Re: Losing Weight in 2019
« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2019, 10:56:15 AM »
Week one 1/11/19: -7.8
Week two 1/18/19: -5.4
Week three 1/25/19: -7.6
GOAL: -40 by October

I lost some traction in week two. A coworker had a retirement party, ex-colleagues had a going away happy hour for a friend that was leaving the company, my brother in law visited spur of the moment, and our two friends that are having a baby any moment now wanted to get together before the baby arrives. This resulted in eating out FOUR TIMES that week. Ugh. That's really uncommon for us, so that week was an anomaly. I'm happy with holding my ground at the end of week three. I want to focus on getting more sleep in week four so I don't have the temptation to skip my early morning gym time. Zelda BOTW has been making going to bed on time difficult lol...

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2019, 11:40:10 AM »
I haven’t lost anything more but at least I am somewhat staying steady.

1/1 - 167
1/7- 162.7
1/13 - 161.5
1/25 - 162.3

I did give up desserts in January and that has helped but now I have to start getting control of other things.  I will also be adding exercise soon.  I just cant seem to get to it.

Either way, we have a week to go yet, but if I finish the month with 5 lost, I am happy with that even though I was expecting a few more.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2019, 12:19:05 PM »
Jan 1: 154 lbs
Jan 4: 150.2 lbs (lost that water weight!)
Jan 11: 149.8 lbs
Jan 18: 147.4 lbs
Jan 25: 147.8 lbs

Total weight lost: 6.4 lbs
Goal weight: 129 lbs
*Have to reach goal weight by July 7 2019 to get $1080 in prize money from HealthyWager OR I lose $600*
Currently 25.57% towards my goal with 9.9% time elapsed

It's that time of the month and I am continuing to feel bloated. So no loss this week. That's OK - I know I am following my plans and will just trust the process - I expect a whoosh soon enough.

I have been wanting to start swimming again. I use to swim all the time. My town just put a new Natatorium in next to the high school and it is joined with the city activity center. They have lap swim in the evenings I just need to go over there and do it. I just signed my boys up for swimming lessons there. that will be a good time for me to get started!

Cool - any chance you can swim laps while your sons are having their lessons? I find that kind of thing is a lot more motivating since you have to be there anyway.

I was just commenting to my mother today that I should have started doing this years ago. But I always worried I wouldn't go consistently. Helps now I have a companion.

I wish I could find some kind of exercise I really enjoying, the stuff I do I dont hate but I dont love it either. Maybe I need to try some classes and see if something fits.

I definitely agree with trying to find something you enjoy - you don't want to do something blah all the time for the rest of your life. What about outdoor activities? Walking, running, biking, tennis, badminton? What about something like volleyball or basketball? At one time, a friend rented a gym and a bunch of us would play pick up basketball and floor hockey once a week. I'm beyond terrible at both - but had a lot of fun running around the court anyway. Helped that it was a mix of adults and kids and we were all chill - so they just laughed at me...my favorite tactic was just to tackle the person holding the ball and take 'em down haha.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2019, 03:03:08 PM »
I will say that I'm making a conscious effort to eat leaner cuts of meat (I just happened to have a large stash of chicken breast, boneless pork chops, and bottom round roast in the freezer), but add in the healthier fats like olive oil and olives and avocados and stuff to get the fat numbers in.  I've seen so many people murder the low carb thing by eating a pound of bacon and eggs for breakfast every day and then wonder why their cholesterol levels are skyrocketing.  There are some things that I'm having to learn how to like(I'm looking at you, pork rinds), but for the most part I can definitely do this.  The only downsides I've seen so far is that a lot of things do have to be made from scratch, which takes time.  Also, a lot of the healthier oils and low carb flours and stuff are, if available locally at all, on the expensive side.

A few of my mates are on the Keto bandwagon and when I point out that it might have other health side affects from eating so much fat and not having enough fiber they get quite defensive. I dont know if any of them have had their cholesterol tested, they seem to think if they are losing weight it must be healthy

I have one friend who is doing keto at the recommendation of his doctor, so I know he's being monitored.  His dad died of a heart attack at 40 and he was bordering on morbidly obese in his late 30's so his doctor wanted the weight off ASAP.  He's taking a similar approach that I am and sticking mainly with the unsaturated fats.  He's lost 75 lbs since July and says that his cholesterol numbers are much better, so I think he's doing something right.  It's like everything though, there's really no shortcut to doing it the right way.

If you are being careful with your fats its fine, just most of the people I know who do it seem to just have bacon and sausages and mushrooms covered in butter every morning for breakfast and a whole bunch of unhealthy fats all day.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2019, 03:05:50 PM »

*Have to reach goal weight by July 7 2019 to get $1080 in prize money from HealthyWager OR I lose $600*

I wish I could find some kind of exercise I really enjoying, the stuff I do I dont hate but I dont love it either. Maybe I need to try some classes and see if something fits.

I definitely agree with trying to find something you enjoy - you don't want to do something blah all the time for the rest of your life. What about outdoor activities? Walking, running, biking, tennis, badminton? What about something like volleyball or basketball? At one time, a friend rented a gym and a bunch of us would play pick up basketball and floor hockey once a week. I'm beyond terrible at both - but had a lot of fun running around the court anyway. Helped that it was a mix of adults and kids and we were all chill - so they just laughed at me...my favorite tactic was just to tackle the person holding the ball and take 'em down haha.

That's a great incentive to lose weight! and you are doing really well.

I am not a big fan of team sports, I do like walking which I do a bit of but I am looking for something that increases my heart rate a bit more. I will look at classes offered by the rec centre near me.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
Losing Weight in 2019
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2019, 03:20:40 PM »
@nnls if u like walking, do more of that It’s a GREAT way to get your heart rate pumping. To increase intensity, simply bump up the speed. I often try walking with high knees. My mother walks slower than I do, so I started strapping on a pair of ankle weights a coworker gave me for Christmas one year - oh man does that bump up the intensity of my walk!!

Its also a cheap, easy exercise - so accessible to anyone anywhere. My grocery store is about 45-60 min walk away and I have started walking there occasionally. Great way to get my workout in with a purpose. Plus I love not being so reliant on my car. And it feels awesome to deal with the challenges and inconveniences.

My only caution is to be careful how much and how often you walk when you start out. I messed up my foot a bit a few years ago when I started walking a LOT every single day and wasn’t wearing properly supportive shoes. Now I am stuck with always having to wear super expensive orthotics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 03:24:26 PM by elaine amj »

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2019, 03:36:43 PM »
@nnls , the key for me was finding a class I really love, so I would definitely encourage you to explore your local options.  In my case, it's Jazzercise - cardio routines set to music for about 35 minutes and then weight routines set to music for about 20.  SOOOOO much better than anything I had tried before (cardio and weight machines at the gym, mostly).

I am still somewhat surprised when I go to class to realize I actually enjoy it!

I think I also have the problem with being a bit self conscious about how uncoordinated I am.

That's a great incentive to lose weight! and you are doing really well.

I am not a big fan of team sports, I do like walking which I do a bit of but I am looking for something that increases my heart rate a bit more. I will look at classes offered by the rec centre near me.

I walk a fair bit now, but I am trying to increase my cardio fitness, I try running but I dont really enjoy it, though maybe I will more once I am a bit fitter and its less of a struggle

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2019, 03:41:08 PM »
Also weight updates

08/01/2019 - 65.50kg
09/01/2019 - 65.10kg
10/01/2019 - 64.90kg
12/01/2019 - 65.25kg
13/01/2019 - 65.40kg
14/01/2019 - 64.40kg
23/01/2019 - 65.10kg
24/01/2019 - 64.10kg
25/01/2019 - 64.60kg

So I feel like I am making no progress, I think I will be more strict about counting calories, I have just been kinda guestimating calories and reducing sugar

Mike in NH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2019, 04:21:03 PM »
@nnls if you enjoy walking, want to get more cardio, and are a bit self conscious, I would suggest hiking. You can do it as an individual or with a friend, it's very mustachian in that you really don't have to buy anything to get started, and you should be able to get away from most people depending on when and where you go. Add in some adventure, time outside, it's really my favorite exercise. There isn't really much skill involved, mostly mental toughness and putting one foot in front of the other. 

My Update:
1.1 = 215
1.17 = 200.6
1.25 = 199.2

Pretty happy with the 199.2 since I went away last weekend and misbehaved a bit, then I was sick all week and unable to do much in terms of working out. As part of a different thing I am working on, this week I had to do the Army's WWII era field test: Pushups, pullups, squat jumps, as many situps as you can in two minutes, and a timed 300 yard run. I think I might start doing this either weekly, monthly, or at some interval in between.

I dislike running on it's own, but I'm like a dog if there is a ball to chase I'll go forever. I haven't run a 5k in a few years but I play basketball a couple times a week. My friend and I signed up to do Pat's Run in Arizona in April, which is 4.2 miles. Debating whether or not to try and just run it with no prep.

Keep up the good work errybody, don't forget to hydrate!

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #159 on: January 25, 2019, 05:19:36 PM »
I've lost 7 lbs since starting this challenge. I've been doing 60 minutes of intense cardio workouts three days a week and two days a week of intense plyometrics and weights. I've also been tracking my calorie count on Samsung Health to keep that under control. So far, so good.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2019, 06:16:55 AM »
Small victory:  I do really well when I track my food, but I usually end up slowly getting worse about it until I stop entirely, then my weight loss progress also stops.  I have a hard time tracking when I go out to eat, and an even harder time when I'm at an event with finger foods and am just grazing for awhile.  This is partially because it's a pain and partially because on some level I'd rather not know how badly I went over my calorie limit.

Yesterday was one such day and I almost skipped, but this morning I forced myself to track what I ate last night.  It took about 2 minutes and it turns out I didn't even go over my limit!

I think I'm going to throw down the gauntlet that between now and my vacation in 3 months, I'm going to try to track EVERY SINGLE DAY.  I'm not doing any traveling, so that's not an excuse.  Here goes!

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2019, 06:37:30 AM »
Well, the hidden blessing in having some gut issues for the last month is that I'm back down to my goal weight range (118 +/- 2).  I've been at 117.4 all week, so I'm calling it done.  I suspect I'll be back later in the year. I'm on a bit of a weight yo-yo it seems, but I'm trying to keep the range much narrower.

Continued best wishes for everyone working this effort!

In 2018, after I left my soul-sucking job, I wanted to drop the weight that had crept on over the last 8 years.   And, I managed to go from 135 down to 117.  Sweet!  Goal met.

Well, those pesky fall/winter holidays have taken their toll and I've put 5 lbs back on.  So, getting that back off again is the 2019 goal!  Wishing everyone well in their weight and health goals!

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: January 26, 2019, 06:38:46 AM »
Weekly Check-In

Stats:  6'2, M, 34

Starting Weight:  209.5
Goal Weight:  185

1.14.19 -- 209.5
1.18.19 -- 209
1.26.19 -- 206.5

I'm super happy with the results so far!  I've been burning about 3,000 calories a day, eating about 1,800 so if I can keep it up I can sustain 2 - 2.5 pounds of weight loss a week.  Fitbit indicated a net calorie deficit of 8,909 for the week, which I think right about 2.5 pounds.  BTW, I think my real starting weight on Jan. 1 was higher, I was just too afraid to look at the scale and internalize the damage until I had already started to turn things around.  But I think I'm losing faster now that I'm tracking it consciously. 

The great part is that I haven't really felt hungry because I've just been REALLY REALLY conscious of making sure pretty much everything I put in my mouth is something relatively healthy and home-cooked with plenty of protein (eggs, chicken) and healthy fats.  I'm not actively pursuing some sort of low carb diet except that if I want to hit my protein goals and feel full and otherwise keep my diet as streamlined as possible carbs are the thing that disappears.  I didn't even go to the gym this week, but I've been tracking on my Fitbit to try to hit 8,000 steps a day.

I do owe a lot of this to the inspiring posts and threads about meal planning on this forum, because that's what's changed.  My job is super intense and we have little kids, so there's no time for me to cook elaborate meals during the week.  We have to prepare in advance on Sundays and then keep things simple and streamlined during the workweek hustle.

Also, $0 spent on alcohol and $0 on work lunches out in January.  I'd actually spend money to lose weight, so the fact that I get to both save money and lose weight is great.  :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 08:26:00 AM by blinx7 »

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: January 26, 2019, 07:03:03 AM »
If anyone is looking for a super intense fat-burning exercise program, I recommend checking out Les Mills Combat, which was Beachbody's at-home version of the Les Mills Bodycombat classes they do at traditional gyms. The program is no longer available for retail sale (Les Mills brought all their programs to their own service), but you can get the DVD set for a pittance on eBay. I do the program while wearing 2 lb weighted gloves that I bought on Amazon for $15 and using a pair of dumbbells I bought at Target for $20. Way cheaper than going to a gym and quite effective.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: January 26, 2019, 07:59:52 AM »

I think I'm going to throw down the gauntlet that between now and my vacation in 3 months, I'm going to try to track EVERY SINGLE DAY.  I'm not doing any traveling, so that's not an excuse.  Here goes!

Go for it. And if u miss one day or one meal, don't beat yourself up.  Just call it a chat day and move on.

I'm another one for whom tracking works. When I track,  I lose.  When I stop tracking,  I typically gain unless I am consciously undereating (which is not healthy). I am starting to resign myself to tracking for the rest of my life.  I have yo-yoed three times now and this is getting ridiculous.

I do owe a lot of this to the inspiring posts and threads about meal planning on this forum, because that's what's changed.  My job is super intense and we have little kids, so there's no time for me to cook elaborate meals during the week.  We have to prepare in advance on Sundays and then keep things simple and streamlined during the workweek hustle.

Mealplanning is really cool. And you'll likely also find it drops your grocery costs.

Just be careful not to get so overenthusiastic about your weight loss that you cut your caloric intake too much. That's not healthy either and often not sustainable.   

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

pressure9pa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #165 on: January 26, 2019, 09:20:13 AM »
I'm going to try and weigh myself every Friday.  I have a bad habit of never tracking calories on the weekends and which leads me to overeat but once I'm back at work I get back to routine of tracking at every meal.  My scale tells me BMI and BF %.  Not sure how accurate it is but I'll include it anyway since I have the numbers.

Starting point: 1/18/19-178.2 lbs, BMI=25.8, Body Fat=23.3%

Curious to follow to see if the BF% measurements are accurate enough to at least be able to monitor trends.  I've considered purchasing one but I won't spend the money if the readings are all over the place day-to-day. 

warehouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #166 on: January 26, 2019, 10:58:11 AM »
I have been loosely following a program called "Eat to Live" this month and have had decent results. I haven't counted any calories or tracked my food intake. No exercise for this first month as I adjust. Essentially the premise is no processed food, no dairy, no meat, no eggs. I'm already vegetarian so this hasn't been too difficult. It's a lot of produce, legumes and nuts.

I'm down 6 pounds and feel great and have limited cravings. I don't follow the program to a T, it says no snacking but I just eat when I'm hungry. If I need a snack I have one though I often don't need any. I also don't eat the full amount of food proposed as it is a TON of food.

1/1/19 136.6
1/10/19 134.2
1/20/19 131.8
1/25/19 130.6
Goal 118 lbs, 5'2"

Guidelines below..

Eat these as much as you want:
all raw vegetables (goal 1 lb.)
cooked green and non-green nutrient-rich vegetables (goal: 1 lb.)
beans, legumes, bean sprouts, and tofu (goal: 1 cup)
fresh fruit (min. 4 daily)

Limit:
cooked starchy vegetables and whole grains (max. 1 cup)
raw nuts and seeds (max 1 oz.)
avocado (max 2 oz.)
dried fruit (max 2 tbsp.)
ground flaxseeds (max 1 tbsp.)

Do Not Eat:
dairy
meat / Animal products
between-meal snacks
fruit juice
oils
added salt

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #167 on: January 26, 2019, 05:45:24 PM »
Ok, so I've only lost 0.5kg this month....I need 1.5kg in the next 5 days, which, if I achieve it will be mainly water loss, but hey a goal is a goal and I'd love to come in below 90kg.

bcbaseballman

• Stubble
« Reply #168 on: January 28, 2019, 07:20:03 AM »

Info:  5'6", M, 29

Goal Weight: 150 lbs

1-1-2019: 183.4 lbs
1-7-2019: 180.2 lbs
1-14-2019: 175.6 lbs
1/21/2019: 174.0 lbs

1/28/2019: 173.6 lbs

Took a cheat weekend and it showed. but on 2 lbs  from Friday morning to this morning. Have to do it few and far between but it helps me keep on path. Weigh in for my diet bet are this week! Pay out will be by the end of this week. Curious as to how much I am going to earn.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #169 on: January 28, 2019, 02:20:45 PM »
My goal for the end of the year is somewhere between maintaining my weight and losing 20-25(ish) lbs.  Google tells me the top end of a healthy weight for my height is 140 lbs, even when I was in the best shape of my life (played very competitive soccer and volleyball in high school, with weight lifting) I was pretty steadily in the 145 range.

Weekly log in
Wed, Jan 9th: 161.6 lbs
Thur, Jan 17th: 160.8 lbs
Mon, Jan 28th: 160.4 lbs

You guys were busy posting last week, I will have to catch up.  I prefer to weigh-in on Wed but wanted to see what the scale said after a week of traveling so I checked it out this morning and it appears that not only did traveling not cause me to go up but I am slightly down!

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #170 on: January 28, 2019, 04:47:53 PM »
My goal for the end of the year is somewhere between maintaining my weight and losing 20-25(ish) lbs.  Google tells me the top end of a healthy weight for my height is 140 lbs, even when I was in the best shape of my life (played very competitive soccer and volleyball in high school, with weight lifting) I was pretty steadily in the 145 range.

Weekly log in
Wed, Jan 9th: 161.6 lbs
Thur, Jan 17th: 160.8 lbs
Mon, Jan 28th: 160.4 lbs

You guys were busy posting last week, I will have to catch up.  I prefer to weigh-in on Wed but wanted to see what the scale said after a week of traveling so I checked it out this morning and it appears that not only did traveling not cause me to go up but I am slightly down!

Nice!  Every time I travel I gain 3-6 lbs.  They usually drop off quickly, but it's frustrating to essentially lose 2 weeks of progress - the week of travel and the week to go back down to where I was before the travel.  To be fair, I do loosen up my eating when traveling.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #171 on: January 29, 2019, 01:04:03 PM »
1/18/19-178.2 lbs, BMI=25.8, Body Fat=23.3%
1/25/19-181.9 lbs, BMI=26.3, Body Fat=23.9%
1/29/19-181.8 lbs, BMI=26.3, Body Fat=23.9%

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #172 on: January 30, 2019, 10:39:54 AM »
I am going to change up my approach.  I am only going to try and lose five pounds.  I am going to take an entire year to do.  My real goal is get to a body shape for healthy aging.  I am hoping that my body doesn't fight so hard against my goal. 

I have reached a place of comfortable acceptance of my curves.  I was probably an unhealthy underweight for most of my life and I don't want to be an unhealthy overweight for the rest.  I want to maintain strength and flexibility.  I want to be able to enjoy activities and that includes eating. 

So my first milestone is to get to March without gaining back any weight I lost in December. So far I am on target at 132.5-133 pounds.
End goal by next Christmas is to weigh 127-128. 
The trickiest time I think is going to be in the fall coming up to Christmas when the tendency will be to bulk back up for winter.

So this is my plan.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2019, 11:12:28 AM »
Jan 02 2019: 161 lbs
Jan 09 2019: 157.4 lbs
Jan 16 2019: 157.2 lbs
Jan 23 2019: 152.8 lbs
Jan 30 2019: 153.0 lbs

not much progress this week, but at least I (more or less) stayed where I was at! I did drop to 151.4 at one point last week but then I had two birthday parties I attended over the weekend so calorie consumption on those days were certainly higher than normal.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #174 on: January 31, 2019, 05:36:59 AM »
January weigh-in:

11/26/2017     253.4
12/31/2017     242.6
01/31/2018     234.8
02/28/2018     224.8
03/31/2018     220.0
04/29/2018     214.4
05/31/2018     209.4
06/30/2018     206.2
07/28/2018     201.6      27.4% BF
08/31/2018     193.8      25.7% BF
09/29/2018     191.2      25.1% BF
10/31/2018     187.6      24.3% BF
11/30/2018     186.0      24.0% BF
12/31/2018     186.6      24.0% BF
01/31/2019     181.2      23.0% BF
Goal              175.0      20.0% BF

I wasn't making great progress the last few months so I decided to cut back my daily calories again from 2000 to 1750 and the weight started coming off more quickly. Getting close to my goal now - hopefully I can get there in a few more months and I'm looking forward to maintenance after that.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 05:42:29 AM by rab-bit »

C-note

• Stubble
« Reply #175 on: January 31, 2019, 07:15:22 AM »
12-14-18 - Beginning Weight:  188.1
01-03-19 - 185.2
01-10-19 - 183.6
01-17-19 - 184.4
01-18-19 - 182.9
01-24-19 - 183.5
01-31-19 - 183.4

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2019, 07:40:26 AM »
Recorded official starting weight which is 237.4lbs, first goal is sub 230 by end of January.

My amazing wife is extremely health conscious but has terrible willpower when I suggest we go out to eat or we have bad foods in the house so a lot will ride on our shopping habits. Did get a small win yesterday when I went to the grocery store and only bought what was on the list including a salad for dinner. We just got back from 3 weeks out of the country with lots of western European foods (bread, meat and cheese mainly) so that will take some adjusting for sure. The upside is that I'm sort of expecting fairly quick drops down to 230.

We are going back to Europe in May and I'd love to lose 15kg by then, I know that's not a healthy clip but even losing 10 would be yuuuge so why not try for 15 and get there.

Good start so far, down to 232.1 as of this morning. I weigh in every morning so it should be somewhat reliable, understandable that I have been losing quite quickly early on but my target is 208 lbs by May 15th which will be a hell of an accomplishment. I feel good about this weightloss effort and am signing up for Orange theory (I know, not Mustachian) tomorrow. My wife goes and I have been to one class with her and enjoyed the trainer/classroom style. Target is to start slow (2 classes per week) with a joint activity on weekends. We live in an area that offers lots of options year round so that shouldn't be a reason that I can't get a 3rd or 4th workout in.

80% of weightloss is food intake though so that will still be my primary focus, eat healthy and smaller portions.

Down to 231.4 as of yesterday morning. Won't make 230 by end of Jan but got quite close. Several co-workers are also joining the weight loss journey which should help with motivation. Gym is going excellent.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2019, 08:06:52 AM »
@frugal lizard I like your plan :) I need to drop some of this excess weight off but my end goal isn't to be super thin. Just to be out of the overweight zone according to my BMI lol!

Like you, my ultimate goal is overall health. I want to eat more nutritiously, improve my flexibility, and condition my body to do all the active things I love to do.
I turn 40 this year and I am becoming more and more aware of the damage we can do to our bodies by not taking good care of it. One of my biggest challenges is that I don't like many vegetables. I KNOW vegetables are good for me but I conveniently forget to add them to my meals. I try and find veggies I like and incorporate them as much as possible.

This past week for dinners I had:
- wintermelon soup with turkey and dried beancurd
- shredded jicama, cabbage and carrots in rice paper wraps
- quinoa with stirfried shrimp and green beans

On a weight loss front, I am slightly frustrated this week. Last week it was that time of the month so I was very bloated and didn't drop as expected. Ok. Just trust the process and hang in there.  This week I dropped a bit but still not at the rate I wanted to see. Ugh. Either I am eating too much salt (I have been eating a portion of cheetos for the past two days. Yes within my calories but man are they high in sodium!) or I am getting way too loose with my logging and estimating too much.

I am still hopeful the weight will drop over the next week. Especially since the other possibility is that I have been working out quite a bit in the past week and perhaps some of this is due to muscle repair.

Maybe I am kidding myself. I just took a close look at my diary and nearly half of what I eat every day is snacks. Yes some of that is fruit but some is pure junk. This cannot be healthy. Time to increase my dinner portions so I fill up more on healthy food and change up some of my empty calorie snacks to things like boiled chickpeas, carrot sticks, nuts, etc. Some junk is ok but I have been overdoing it simply because I have the calories available.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2019, 09:32:21 AM »
Time to increase my dinner portions so I fill up more on healthy food and change up some of my empty calorie snacks to things like boiled chickpeas, carrot sticks, nuts, etc.

I made some roasted chickpeas for the first time a couple days ago so I could have a healthier snack option with less calories/fat than almonds.

They were soooooo good! 

You just drain a can of chickpeas, pat them dry with a dishtowel, toss 'em in olive oil and salt, and then roast them in the oven for ~40 min.  10/10 would recommend.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #179 on: January 31, 2019, 09:43:48 AM »

I made some roasted chickpeas for the first time a couple days ago so I could have a healthier snack option with less calories/fat than almonds.

They were soooooo good! 

You just drain a can of chickpeas, pat them dry with a dishtowel, toss 'em in olive oil and salt, and then roast them in the oven for ~40 min.  10/10 would recommend.

Thanks for the reminder! I just bought a pound of chickpeas the other day to make into hummus (for eating with veggies) and/or roast. Gonna go soak them now :)

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #180 on: January 31, 2019, 10:31:42 AM »
I thought for sure I would be down 5 lbs and it turns out it is only 3.  I will take it.  February needs to include exercising and I will give myself another day to be lazy. I want to see if I can incorporate exercise at least 4-5 days a week in February. 

1/1   - 167
1/31 - 164

I did not have cakes, cookies, ice cream or pies in January as that was my goal, however, everything else took its place.  However, that was a trial month and I see how my moods and habits affect me. So, in February, I will try and get more control.  Maybe plan out my meals better. This is always my goal but I am a bad planned.

Yes, me too, more than weight, I really want to get healthy. It is my main goal this year.

Goinganon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #181 on: January 31, 2019, 04:05:09 PM »
Over the past few years, my weight was slowly but steadily rising. In August 2018, I heard about Diet Bet and decided to give it a try. Since then, I’ve lost nearly 40 lbs. I have another 54 lbs to lose to be in a healthy BMI. I’d love to get there in 2019, although I know that it will be a stretch for me.

I’ve lost the weight so far by doing intermittent fasting on a 16:8 schedule (it’s my natural eating pattern so it works for me), tracking calories, and increasing my daily movement.

August 2018: 236.8
December 31: 198.8
January 31: 191.8 (I was hoping to be a bit further along, but my weight went up and plateaued for a while before I managed to drop weight this month. Then again, progress is progress and I’ll take what I can get.)
Goal for February: 184

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #182 on: January 31, 2019, 04:15:12 PM »
The polar vortex completely annihilated all my motivation to go to the gym this week. I am going tomorrow morning though... it'll be a balmy -4 at 5:00AM!

warehouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #183 on: January 31, 2019, 08:07:47 PM »
I have been loosely following a program called "Eat to Live" this month and have had decent results. I haven't counted any calories or tracked my food intake. No exercise for this first month as I adjust. Essentially the premise is no processed food, no dairy, no meat, no eggs. I'm already vegetarian so this hasn't been too difficult. It's a lot of produce, legumes and nuts.

I'm down 6 pounds and feel great and have limited cravings. I don't follow the program to a T, it says no snacking but I just eat when I'm hungry. If I need a snack I have one though I often don't need any. I also don't eat the full amount of food proposed as it is a TON of food.

1/1/19 136.6
1/10/19 134.2
1/20/19 131.8
1/25/19 130.6
Goal 118 lbs, 5'2"

1/31/19 129.6

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #184 on: January 31, 2019, 08:32:47 PM »
Brrrr...it's been a COLD week!! Thank God for a heated indoor pool! Been hitting the pool hard all week and loving it. Today I didn't have time to go but we ended up going OUTSIDE to skate! It was so cool the city wasn't even maintaining our local city outdoor rink so we happily shoveled off  patch of ice and my DH and son were able to mess around with their hockey sticks. I'm not a good skater so I was pretty terrified on the bumpy ice out there but I gamely kept on putting one skate in front of the other. I lasted 45 mins before my ankle finally said I was done. Surprisingly, other than our faces getting rather cold, all 4 of us generally stayed warm enough even with wind chills down to -29 C. -20 C is very cold for our area so today was definitely frigid.

I'm glad I was able to get some kind of activity in today as we had a gathering with a few people from our church today and I had the most delicious banana cream pie ever. I definitely have to get in that pool tomorrow....Chinese New Year is coming up and our festivities start this Saturday. Then Monday. Then Tuesday. A LOT of social meals ahead....ack!!!

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: February 01, 2019, 05:42:11 AM »
I'm doing the check-in one day early this week. 

Stats:  6'2, M, 34
Starting Weight:  209.5
Goal Weight:  185

1.14.19 -- 209.5
1.18.19 -- 209
1.26.19 -- 206.5
2.1.19 -- 204.5

Things are going great so far.  I am going away for a three day weekend so I've purposefully been pushing hard the last few days with the goal of easing up this weekend.  I also want to make sure I get in more workouts so I have more calories I can eat while still staying in the zone during our trip. 

I learned this week that the ranch veggie dip we had in the fridge is terrible (just dipping a lot of broccoli into two servings of that bad boy alone ruined my macros for a day) and that a lot of granola / energy bars are terrible for you -- the one I had last night at a work event was 70% fat and probably 90% fat and sugar.  Some almonds, but still.  I want to do research about which bars I should get, and also to make my own, time permitting. 

Given the upcoming weekend and lightening up a bit, I'll be happy next week with a smaller loss, like one pound.  I'm still trying to push to do an initial burst down to 195 and then ease off and don't want to lose momentum, but I think it's probably also good to give my brain and metabolism a bit of a breather. 

Last week, the day after my "cheat" day (nothing crazy, just maintenance or slightly below rather than aiming for a big deficit) I gained two pounds, then the next day I lost four.  So at least so far the concept of a period of hovering close to my metabolic baseline and then a day each week to reset back to normal seems to have worked for me. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 05:47:16 AM by blinx7 »

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #186 on: February 01, 2019, 09:14:18 AM »

Weekly log in
01/09/19: 161.6 lbs
01/17/19: 160.8 lbs
01/28/19: 160.4 lbs

02/01/19: 160.0 lbs

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #187 on: February 02, 2019, 08:48:29 AM »
I'm down, but not the desired way...
Have had the flu for over a week, and it hit me hard. I have been able to eat, even hungry sometimes, but food tastes nothing. I had a badly sore throat so I could not eat everything. I sleep a lot, bc the fever gets me so tired.
I have lost weight, but I think it's muscle weight due to not moving at all. I try to walk 10 000 steps per day, and normally average that over a week, so 70 000 in a week. This week I have only walked a couple of 1000 altogether. No yoga, no stretching, no playing with the kids, no carrying anything. Hate it. Maybe it is a good sign that I am getting restless but I think it is due to still being on painkillers...

Anyway, last time I reported was Jan 20th: 148.8 (67.5)
Now: 144.8 (65.7)
So yes losing weight, but right now, I'd rather be healthy and gaining...

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #188 on: February 02, 2019, 10:46:11 AM »
I missed yesterday's weigh in but going to get in Saturday's weigh in before our Chinese New Year feasting begins tonight.

Jan 1: 154.2 lbs
Feb 2: 146.8

Total weight lost: 7.4 lbs
Currently 29.54% towards my goal with 14.4% time elapsed

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2019, 07:12:25 AM »
Early Jan I was 185.8 and now I’m down to 180.0. This was essentially my goal for the time being. I don’t have very much fat to lose but just want to remain lean and increase my running potential. I have noticed losing the weight has impacted my strength slightly. I haven’t weighed this little in 7-8 years. Now finding the right balance to maintain will be important. I’ve slowly started adding some milk and more bananas back in my diet. I’d like to find room for a little “junk” when I’d like as well. My diets been insanely clean lately, but I’d like to be able to enjoy the occasional doughnut at work when someone brings them in.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #190 on: February 03, 2019, 01:34:02 PM »
Today marks 1 month since I re-started my weight loss/calorie counting efforts and I'm down 8.2 lbs!  Now, a little bit of that initial weight was temporary water weight from airport junk food the day before, but still!  Pretty exciting!

I have a little bit less than 3 months before my big Europe trip and am still committed to calorie tracking every day between now and then.  Let's see how much I can lose!  (I have 12 more lbs to my initial very rough goal - hopefully I can surpass that.)

Mike in NH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2019, 03:21:25 PM »
My Update:
1.1 = 215
1.17 = 200.6
1.25 = 199.2
2.1 = 198.8

Superbowl weekend is not off to the best of starts, let's see if I can manage to not slide backwards this week.

lizh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #192 on: February 03, 2019, 03:40:59 PM »
I need to join you guys.  I'm another shortie of 5'1" tall
1/1/19 147
2/1/19 146.1

I need to focus.  First goal weight is 130 and I'll reassess once I get there.
thanks...you are all very motivating!
Liz

sixup

• Stubble
« Reply #193 on: February 03, 2019, 04:03:01 PM »
I'm in.

5'9" male, 195.
I was 187 before holidays. Been working to get back down since mid January. I probably need to get to 180-185.

Sitting around 15-16% bodyfat now. Hoping to be around 12% at 180-185.

I've lifted for 10 years, been as high as 230 lbs. Never been below maybe 14% bodyfat so this is uncharted territory for me. Enjoying the process! Also enjoying not requiring as much food, lower food spending. Wins all around!

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #194 on: February 03, 2019, 07:05:11 PM »
I need this thread. 

I don’t have a set weight goal. I haven’t even checked my weight lately. I try not to focus on a number and instead focus on how I feel. And I’m not feeling good. I’ve been stress eating. What has worked best for me in the past is increasing my activity and intermittent fasting.

I’m going to start fasting again this week. This helps me be more mindful of what I consume and helps me to have better control over my eating.

I already walk twice a day with my dog. But I need to increase the intensity and start doing some weight training.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #195 on: February 03, 2019, 11:08:41 PM »
@lizh welcome fellow shortie :) I'm also aiming for 130lbs. I'm certainly not thin at that weight (I suspect 110lb would be thin for me), it's a reasonable weight and I felt good there.

What I'm finding hard is once I go off track, it's quite hard to get back to my usual eating, weighing and logging. Saturday was the start of our Chinese New Year feasting. I planned for it and ate freely at dinner. All good. Today was supposed to be a low cal day. I ended up eating about 1200 calories. It's not horrible since obviously I had the calories available...but I was hoping to save up a bit for Monday. Monday night we go out for another celebration dinner and Tuesday night I will have company again for yet another dinner. It's a LOT of celebratory social meals this week. And I don't want to be in diet mode through them. But it means I have to be careful on all the other days of the week. But even knowing this, I ate more than I liked today. I cobbled together a light lunch of odds and ends I guessed would be about 300 calories - and was shocked to log about 500 calories. And then despite my intentions for a light dinner, I ended up eating some leftovers which were not as diet-friendly as they should have been *sigh*

Back to the pool tomorrow!

bcbaseballman

• Stubble
« Reply #196 on: February 04, 2019, 07:50:14 AM »

Info:  5'6", M, 29

Goal Weight: 150 lbs

1-1-2019: 183.4 lbs
1-7-2019: 180.2 lbs
1-14-2019: 175.6 lbs
1/21/2019: 174.0 lbs
1/28/2019: 173.6 lbs

2/4/2019: 173.2

Another low lose week but I joining into another diet bet game so hopefully that gets me back into the losing spirit. Have been lazy and need to get running again. Cant wait for there to be some warmer weather.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #197 on: February 04, 2019, 02:13:37 PM »
1/18/19-178.2 lbs, BMI=25.8, Body Fat=23.3%
1/25/19-181.9 lbs, BMI=26.3, Body Fat=23.9%
1/29/19-181.8 lbs, BMI=26.3, Body Fat=23.9%
2/02/19-180.6 lbs, BMI=26.2, Body Fat=23.9%

Wasn't around the forums since Friday to post my numbers.  Not much is changing.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
Re: Losing Weight in 20
« Reply #198 on: February 05, 2019, 06:39:25 PM »
Today was my first day of intermittent fasting. It has gone well.  When fasting I’m going to restrict calories to 500 cal per day and want to do this 2 to 3 days a week. Getting started is the hardest. Once I’m in the routine it is much easier. I start to feel like I am in control rather than the food. Today consumed 700 cal.  I’m giving myself permission to work down to 500 cal. So 700 is a good starting point.

I weighed today and I’m at 160. Not good for my short frame. I’m most comfortable in my own skin when I’m about 120 to 130. But the number is less important than how I feel. I’ll keep track of the number just to see how much I’ve lost.

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #199 on: February 05, 2019, 08:17:33 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised by this morning's weigh in @ 231.7 after Superbowl weekend. Had gym today so hopefully I can keep dropping some weight this week and beyond. While January was up and down I am still down 6-7lbs in the first 3 weeks so that is a healthy clip of 2lbs/week.

Onward!