Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2019  (Read 59310 times)

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
Re: Losing Weight in 2019
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2019, 12:21:14 PM »
I like to report my weigh in on Fridays as I am lighter on Fridays than I am on Mondays (especially if I do anything social on Sunday lol).

Jan 1: 154 lbs
Jan 4: 150.2 lbs (lost that water weight!)
Jan 11: 149.8 lbs
Jan 18: 147.4 lbs

Total weight lost: 6.6 lbs
Goal weight: 129 lbs
*Have to reach goal weight by July 7 2019 to get $1080 in prize money from HealthyWager OR I lose $600*
Currently 27.16% towards my goal with 6.1% time elapsed

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2019, 12:40:09 PM »
As of this morning I'm officially 153.6 lbs. That's the lowest number I've seen since before Thanksgiving.

I also aim for 1200 calories a day but I'm frequently closer to 1400. That's a more comfortable number for me and I still lose, just more slowly. I'm 5'7" and mostly sedentary except I usually walk 4-5 miles a day for my commute and try to do a short bodyweight workout most days.  I don't eat back exercise calories in general. I'm planning a 24 mile hike tomorrow so I will eat back a portion of that.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2019, 02:36:08 PM »
I'm in. I lost a meager 10lbs since October, I went from 220 to 210. It's been hard to keep up the momentum. I need to get below 150 for a healthy BMI. Right now my babystep is getting below 200 by February 24 (birthday of a friend who wants to do a chocolate making class for her birthday. Yay...)

206! It's going slow but I'm okay with steady progress.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2019, 03:12:50 PM »
@elaine amj--That's a good point! I sometimes weigh/measure and sometimes don't. And I eat ALL my exercise calories! They are mostly strength training calories, though.

I feel like I am pretty close to my maximum commitment level, but these would be easy steps to take once or twice to get a better idea instead of just guessing:
-Measure half a cup of yogurt to see how much of my teacup it actually takes up, rather than eyeballing
-Measure 3.5 oz of wine to see how much of the glass it takes up
-Measure 2 T of bacon grease/cooking oil
-Weigh cheese more often

Those are 4 things I consume/use a lot of so if I am going over, it would really add up.

I'm in. I lost a meager 10lbs since October, I went from 220 to 210. It's been hard to keep up the momentum. I need to get below 150 for a healthy BMI. Right now my babystep is getting below 200 by February 24 (birthday of a friend who wants to do a chocolate making class for her birthday. Yay...)

206! It's going slow but I'm okay with steady progress.

Congrats on shaking off a few more! Seems like you are on track for your goal!

@neophyte, 4-5 miles a day does not seem sedentary! 

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2019, 04:36:08 PM »
Recorded official starting weight which is 237.4lbs, first goal is sub 230 by end of January.

My amazing wife is extremely health conscious but has terrible willpower when I suggest we go out to eat or we have bad foods in the house so a lot will ride on our shopping habits. Did get a small win yesterday when I went to the grocery store and only bought what was on the list including a salad for dinner. We just got back from 3 weeks out of the country with lots of western European foods (bread, meat and cheese mainly) so that will take some adjusting for sure. The upside is that I'm sort of expecting fairly quick drops down to 230.

We are going back to Europe in May and I'd love to lose 15kg by then, I know that's not a healthy clip but even losing 10 would be yuuuge so why not try for 15 and get there.

Good start so far, down to 232.1 as of this morning. I weigh in every morning so it should be somewhat reliable, understandable that I have been losing quite quickly early on but my target is 208 lbs by May 15th which will be a hell of an accomplishment. I feel good about this weightloss effort and am signing up for Orange theory (I know, not Mustachian) tomorrow. My wife goes and I have been to one class with her and enjoyed the trainer/classroom style. Target is to start slow (2 classes per week) with a joint activity on weekends. We live in an area that offers lots of options year round so that shouldn't be a reason that I can't get a 3rd or 4th workout in.

80% of weightloss is food intake though so that will still be my primary focus, eat healthy and smaller portions.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2019, 05:12:19 PM »
I sometimes weigh/measure and sometimes don't. And I eat ALL my exercise calories! They are mostly strength training calories, though.
I feel like I am pretty close to my maximum commitment level, but these would be easy steps to take once or twice to get a better idea instead of just guessing

I'd be extra careful with strength training calories as actual calorie burn is rather minimal during strength training. Right now I don't eat my strength training calories at all. I just record my cardio.  My strength training right now is via my aquafit classes so if we get an instructor who makes us do more cardio, I add a small amount to my cardio minutes.

wintertell

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2019, 05:44:05 PM »
Checking in from my restart as of Dec 1st 2018. Weighed in then at 227.8. Yesterday's weigh in on 1/17 was 221.4. That's 6.4 lbs in 7 weeks, which includes Christmas. Very happy with that!

My bigger clothes fit much better now, but I'm still too big for the majority of my closet. I did fit back into two pairs of dress pants and a pair of jeans rather than only having skirts to wear.

I'm trying Weight Watchers (now called WW!) for the first time to track/go to meetings. I also have been going to the gym 3X a week and trying to increase my steps through a lunch walk. To help with the cravings, I've been eating Paleo-ish - basically Paleo, plus dairy added back in. One thing that has really helped has been sugar-free chocolate and sugarless sauces/dressing - nothing to start that sugar craving up. Only had 1 real cheat day where I ate way too much (homemade focaccia bread still hot from the oven!)

My goal is to settle into a routine and keep with it. Hoping to get back down where I was in the high 190s at the very least, then evaluate from there if I want to continue to get lower. 

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2019, 10:38:07 PM »
You know how I've been doing so well and sticking within my calories and all? I've been very satisfied with my low cal meals. This week hasn't been the greatest and I have been over by a little bit most days. Then, tonight I had dinner. When I had the same thing a few nights ago I was STUFFED for under 500 calories. Tonight, I added a serving of sweet potato fries (cooked for my kids) with mayo of course. At 440 calories, it was bad, but still within my calories available. By 11pm, I was starving again and I decided to finish up the yogurt in my fridge. Added some granola and then realized that there's a reason I skip breakfast now. 288 calories! Still hungry, I got some spicy Indian snack food. Normally not the end of the world at 150 calories. But it STILL wasn't enough and I had a bowl of frozen mangoes for another 90 calories.

I am finishing the day 314 calories OVER my target. And that's after I added back 200 exercise calories giving me 1400 cals for today. The worst part is almost a THOUSAND calories was in my after dinner snacking. UGH. It's definitely past time to go to bed. Tomorrow is another day.

And of course, today was the day I actually LOOKED slimmer - I was even happily trying on swimsuits!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:40:01 PM by elaine amj »

Vibrissae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2019, 09:24:26 AM »
Some days are just like that. Maybe it's hormonal? At certain points in my cycle, I can eat *all* the things and not be satisfied.

As you say, there's always tomorrow. ^_^

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2019, 09:42:58 AM »
I sometimes weigh/measure and sometimes don't. And I eat ALL my exercise calories! They are mostly strength training calories, though.
I feel like I am pretty close to my maximum commitment level, but these would be easy steps to take once or twice to get a better idea instead of just guessing

I'd be extra careful with strength training calories as actual calorie burn is rather minimal during strength training. Right now I don't eat my strength training calories at all. I just record my cardio.  My strength training right now is via my aquafit classes so if we get an instructor who makes us do more cardio, I add a small amount to my cardio minutes.

I definitely lose if I ONLY eat my exercise calories :-). It's if I eat MORE that I don't! My old routine was heavy weights all the time (like a 165 deadlift, 89 pound bench press, etc.), sets of 5 with long break in between. I will probably go back to that in the future but I got burnt out on it. My new routine is more of a mix of muscle-building and metabolic work. Sets of 10, more dumbbells and fewer barbells, etc.

Some days are just like that. Maybe it's hormonal? At certain points in my cycle, I can eat *all* the things and not be satisfied.

As you say, there's always tomorrow. ^_^

OMG this happens to me, too! There was a day last week when I got free chicken minis from Chick Fil A and STILL ate a whole bag of microwave popcorn later. I actually wasn't as far over my calories as you would think... but yikes. @elaine amj, I'm sorry you had a bad day!

@wintertell, yay for getting back into some clothes! That's an awesome feeling.

Today I was 123! That is less than I have weighed since I left for my wedding/honeymoon in September! Yay!

9/5: 120 lbs
12/1: 128 pounds
1/1: 125 lbs
1/19: 123 lbs

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2019, 10:00:36 AM »
Hi all, can I join?

6'2 male, 34. 

1.14.19 -- 209.5
1.18.19 -- 209

Goal weight is 185 by the end of the year, though sooner would be better.  My initial plan is a burst of weight loss down to 195, then I want to also lift weights and gain some muscle, so that make be tricky to coordinate. 

My major accomplishment this week is bringing in yummy leftovers every single day for work.  So far I've spent zero on work lunches (though I have popped out for a few lattes).  Also has collateral benefit of saving money -- two birds, one stone. 

I made myself a burger (90% lean ground beef, plenty of veggies, whole wheat bun) and sweet potato fries instead of going to Five Guys last night. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 10:02:12 AM by blinx7 »

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2019, 10:08:09 AM »
Hi all, can I join?

6'2 male, 34. 

1.14.19 -- 209.5
1.18.19 -- 209

Goal weight is 185 by the end of the year, though sooner would be better.  My initial plan is a burst of weight loss down to 195, then I want to also lift weights and gain some muscle, so that make be tricky to coordinate. 

My major accomplishment this week is bringing in yummy leftovers every single day for work.  So far I've spent zero on work lunches (though I have popped out for a few lattes).  Also has collateral benefit of saving money -- two birds, one stone. 

I made myself a burger (90% lean ground beef, plenty of veggies, whole wheat bun) and sweet potato fries instead of going to Five Guys last night. 

Welcome!

Maybe consider having a body fat analysis, and also take your measurements. Then even if you get denser, you'll know if you are losing fat! I wish I had done body fat earlier--planning on having one done soon to see where I'm at because I'm starting to wonder if maybe I've gained enough muscle to affect my weight. (I'm a lady,* not a dude, so even though I'm a pretty serious lifter, I don't bulk up.)

(*OK, I do know ladies who claim that they bulk up. But my body chemistry doesn't do that. Like many but not all ladies.)

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2019, 10:39:18 AM »
Hi all, can I join?

6'2 male, 34. 

1.14.19 -- 209.5
1.18.19 -- 209

Welcome!

Maybe consider having a body fat analysis, and also take your measurements. Then even if you get denser, you'll know if you are losing fat! I wish I had done body fat earlier--planning on having one done soon to see where I'm at because I'm starting to wonder if maybe I've gained enough muscle to affect my weight. (I'm a lady,* not a dude, so even though I'm a pretty serious lifter, I don't bulk up.)

(*OK, I do know ladies who claim that they bulk up. But my body chemistry doesn't do that. Like many but not all ladies.)

@La Bibliotecaria Feroz, thanks I think I will do that.  But maybe not just yet as I'm afraid of what the results might be -- I'm not very strong.  I think my goal will be to do that when I hit 199.  Then I'll be happy enough to get that milestone that I probably won't care and will be pumped for more. 

My background is that I never had any weight issues until drip, drip, drip, drip over about 10 years.  But I've also never been able to shake off more than 3-4 pounds before.  The big difference this time is that I've gotten all fired up about cooking and I also don't work at a law firm anymore.  (I was still at work until 7 each of the last three nights, but one of the other lawyers on the phone was telling me how she ended up in the hospital in December due to a deal.  What a crazy profession.)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2019, 04:00:33 PM »

It really depends on the strength training program. Without a heart rate monitor it’s impossible to guess.

For example, my strength training workout last Sunday was 1 hr 17 minutes. I did heavy squats, hamstrings, calves, abs, and biceps. I burned an extra 613 active calories during my workout.

In turn, on Tuesday my 5 mile run in 46 minutes burned 594 active calories.

I see a lot of people here mentioning “eating” their exercise calories. Unless someone is on a 100% perfectly measured, balanced, and strict diet, exercise shouldn’t be viewed as a “now I can eat extra calories” type of reward. It should be viewed as an added benefit to speed up weight loss or maybe compensate for those little “accidental” cheats throughout the week.

A lot of good discussion on calories. Unless people are actually weighing and measuring every single ingredient, people tend to grossly underestimate the amount of calories in what they eat. If they’re going based off wrappers/labels.. well, the “right” foods are natural and typically shouldn’t have labels!

I’ve been weighing, measuring, recording, and balancing my meals for the majority of the last 8-10 years. My wife and I measure probably 90% or more of our meals. On a weekly basis we cook mostly the same (but diverse and delicious) meals. We balance all the protein, carbs, calories, etc.

I’ve found that the numbers for calories, exercise, and weight loss are eerily accurate if you are 100% accurate in your measuring. A deficit of 3500 calories is really pretty dang accurate in losing a pound.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2019, 04:51:44 PM »

It really depends on the strength training program. Without a heart rate monitor it’s impossible to guess.

For example, my strength training workout last Sunday was 1 hr 17 minutes. I did heavy squats, hamstrings, calves, abs, and biceps. I burned an extra 613 active calories during my workout.

In turn, on Tuesday my 5 mile run in 46 minutes burned 594 active calories.

I see a lot of people here mentioning “eating” their exercise calories. Unless someone is on a 100% perfectly measured, balanced, and strict diet, exercise shouldn’t be viewed as a “now I can eat extra calories” type of reward. It should be viewed as an added benefit to speed up weight loss or maybe compensate for those little “accidental” cheats throughout the week.

A lot of good discussion on calories. Unless people are actually weighing and measuring every single ingredient, people tend to grossly underestimate the amount of calories in what they eat. If they’re going based off wrappers/labels.. well, the “right” foods are natural and typically shouldn’t have labels!

I’ve been weighing, measuring, recording, and balancing my meals for the majority of the last 8-10 years. My wife and I measure probably 90% or more of our meals. On a weekly basis we cook mostly the same (but diverse and delicious) meals. We balance all the protein, carbs, calories, etc.

I’ve found that the numbers for calories, exercise, and weight loss are eerily accurate if you are 100% accurate in your measuring. A deficit of 3500 calories is really pretty dang accurate in losing a pound.

WOW. That is a lot of measuring. Hats off to you! That is... not something I aspire to personally. My husband is our main cook and he does not count calories, and I don't want to be a pain.

But if I count as best I can, and stick to MFP, then I lose weight, so the results are fine!

That is really interesting about the strength training calorie count! That's super high compared to standard numbers. As far as eating exercise calories, I don't think of it as a reward or a treat, just that I NEED more food in order to feel comfortable and healthy when I exercise. Most of the food I eat is nutritious. Again, to me the important thing is to lose a little weight or even just maintain, and to feel healthy. YMMV!

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2019, 07:05:52 PM »
I do eat back half my exercise calories. (The half is to account for inaccurate food logging and for overestimating exercise calories).

In general, I am pretty accurate with measuring and do weigh most of my food so I have to eat back at least some of my exercise calories (especially doing 30-90 mins of cardio daily) or I end up undereating. Did that the first time I logged and ended up fatigued and grouchy after a month or two.

For some of my staple meals, I weigh once and then eyeball from there. But each ingredient is very low cal so the fudge factor is minimal. When eating things like chips, avocadoes, etc I try my best to weigh as those can pack a huge punch in small amounts.

I don't bug my mother much when she cooks and eyeball most things. But recently got her to let me weigh everything in one of her recipes so I could have a more accurate idea in the future.

I've learned to use the tare function on my scale (sooo much easier), keep a notepad next to my scale, and hacked how I record recipes in MyFitnessPal (total servings = total grams my entire dish weighs).

The more accurately I weigh my food, the more I can eat. Otherwise I have to allow for a decent fudge factor and eat a bit less. One person once put it to me this way - the goal is to eat the maximum amount of food possible while losing weight. I liked that :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2019, 07:34:55 PM »
A note about today. After last night's endless eating I was determined to do better today. I count net calories for the week and really want to finish this week on target.

To help, I decided to get my cardio in. We had snow today (first real snowfall since December!) First I spent 45mins shovelling my driveway. Then I walked to the nearby drugstore to pick up eggs (we were close to running out). It normally takes about 40 mins roundtrip but due to the snow, it took me about an hour roundtrip as I was slogging through unplowed paths and picking my way along tire tracks on residential streets. Overall felt great and love that I avoided using a car again. It's kinda fun combining errands and exercise. A couple of days ago, I walked 1.5hrs roundtrip to a different grocery store and hauled home about 5lbs in produce. I think I will make this walking for groceries a regular thing :)

Foodwise I did pretty ok although still snacking a lot - eating a 270 cal lunch, 383 cal dinner (all mostly vegetables with tofu for lunch and eggs for dinner) and a lot of snacks including:
- approx 1 tbsp of strawberry cream cheese (licked up the last of the tub after DD's lunch lol), 40 cals
- approx a cup of pomelo fruit, 72 cals
- weighed out 30g of Semisweet chocolate chips, 140 cals
- weighed out 28g of fried Indian snacks, 150g

MFP says I ate 1055 cals out of 1475 cals available (1200 + 275 in exercise calories). So I basically made up for yesterday's overeating :)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2019, 08:52:13 AM »
Does anyone here do intermittent fasting? My wife and I started it around 8 months ago and have been very pleasantly surprised how nice it is.

I definitely do not believe any hype that it changed the way people burn calories, as I’ve found calories in/calories out, regardless. I do believe it may have some positive impact on blood sugar/endocrine system due to the fasting period.

What I do find, is that it makes sticking to an eating plan far more manageable. Here’s a sample of how we lay it out.

10/11 am - meal 1
1:30 pm - protein shake
4 pm - meal 2
6 pm - protein shake
8 pm - meal 3

If you can just make it from 8 pm til 10/11 am, eating the rest of your calories in that shorter window are far more satisfying as you actually get “full.” Also, if you know you might have a “cheat” meal, go out to dinner, etc, what I might do is like - meal 1 - 10 am, protein shake 2 pm, then skip meal 2, so I can have a larger dinner at around 6pm or so.

I also find that I usually try and make my meals before/after exercise with more carbs for energy and recovery, then aim for my other meals to be more protein/veggies.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:18:44 AM by use2betrix »

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2019, 12:28:09 PM »
Ack!!! I am HUNGRY!!!! I ate my usual lunch. And then 2 servings of yummy roasted chestnuts for another 200 calories.

But am starving. It can't be "real" hunger but boy oh boy I really really want to eat some more. Wonder if that time of the month is coming soon? Might need to break out the frozen mango soon...

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2019, 12:50:37 PM »
Ack!!! I am HUNGRY!!!! I ate my usual lunch. And then 2 servings of yummy roasted chestnuts for another 200 calories.

But am starving. It can't be "real" hunger but boy oh boy I really really want to eat some more. Wonder if that time of the month is coming soon? Might need to break out the frozen mango soon...

Ugh, I hate that feeling! Sometimes tea or seltzer helps me--just the sense that I have consumed something :-).

@use2betrix -- I'm curious, when  do you exercise? In the morning while you're still fasting, or later?

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2019, 01:37:36 PM »
@elaine amj - do you eat nuts much? While delicious, they’re very calorie dense (fats have 9 calories/gram vs protein and carbs having 4). I generally stay away from added fats for this reason. I find that 200 calories of oatmeal, potatoes, or rice will keep full for a lot longer. Fats are healthy, but ultimately for losing weight I find that keeping myself “full” makes it easiest.

@La Bibliotecaria Feroz - I typically lift in the afternoon/evening. When lifting weights, I always have carbs with my meals before and after for energy/recovery. I occasionally run in the morning and “might” have a piece of fruit or handful of granola before or after if I really need it. My morning runs are pretty light (usually 3 miles or so). Usually the same with cardio during the evenings. A little fruit/granola before or after if I need it. I will not sacrifice a good workout because I’m “so hungry” it impacts the quality of it. Sometimes it just takes a little snack to get that edge off. Now that I’m closer to my “goal” weight, I’ve introduced some milk into my post workout shakes vs water for the extra carbs/recovery. Your body is really craving carbs for recovery after workouts, and that post workout meal is probably the most critical of any meal you’ll have all week.

I’m down 4 lbs so far this year. I’ve really gotten into running the last 6-8 months and the few extra pounds help. While I don’t have big weight loss goals like many here (maybe 5 more lbs) I do put a ton of effort into my diet and it is challenging. I have a major love for sweets. I often have a really bad problem where I either decline and am fine, or I literally eat 6 cookies. My coworkers bring doughnuts and kolaches and I either decline, or eat 2-3 of each. I’ve been doing well this year and as a whole I do pretty good, but it is still very hard for me.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2019, 01:52:08 PM »
Current: 151.5 lbs (68.7 kgs)
First goal, to summer (June 1st): 141 lbs (64 kgs)
Long term goal: 128 lbs (58 kgs)
Height 5'4" (165 cm).

A good week!
Sun-Lunch Fri was good, I was down to 146.6 (66.5) but then had wine and cheese with DH on Friday evening (but not extremely much). Then Saturday was a planned outing w/close friend, lots of fun but also lots of food, and not perfectly "good" food. But it turned into a weird late stretched lunch, meaning I did not have any dinner, since I was still absolutely full when I got home. Surprisingly I was not very hungry this morning/lunch either so it has been a good day today as well.

This week ended up at 148.8 (67.5), which I am very pleased with, its more than 2.5 lbs down. I am aware of that a lot of it is probably water weight, but I'll take it. Now on to another week of trying to make good choices.
+ I have meal prepped, lunch for Mon-Tues + dinner Mon is in place, with rest of the week also planned
- DH is travelling Mon-Wed, which is always a stress factor with work & the kids, and normally I overeat when he is away. But I'll try to do better this time :-D

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2019, 07:12:13 PM »
@use2betrix I very rarely eat nuts because of my how calorie dense they are. But was hoping the extra fat in chestnuts would help satiate me.

I did well overall today but ended the night with some cheetos. Nothing else seemed to cut it. Amazingly enough, I didn't binge on the entire bag like I sometimes do. I ate my portion and stopped. 

I am ending this week under by 25 net calories (close enough to zero).

So overall I am thrilled :)

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2019, 12:36:10 AM »
I am ending this week under by 25 net calories (close enough to zero).

So overall I am thrilled :)

@elaine amj - that's great - yes you should be thrilled and proud!

bcbaseballman

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2019, 07:42:44 AM »
1-1-2019: 183.4 lbs
1-7-2019: 180.2 lbs
1-14-2019: 175.6 lbs

1/21/2019: 174.0 lbs

I have officially beat my diet bets with one week to spare. Just have to keep it off for another week and then I will start up some new ones! Am planning on starting a running program here in the next couple of weeks as well. I am looking at maybe doing a little triathlon that is in august. Its nothing to crazy but I think 7 months will be a good amount of time to train for it. It is 400 meter swim, 10.5 mile bike ride and then a 3.2 mile run.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2019, 07:54:12 AM »
1-1-2019: 183.4 lbs
1-7-2019: 180.2 lbs
1-14-2019: 175.6 lbs

1/21/2019: 174.0 lbs

I have officially beat my diet bets with one week to spare. Just have to keep it off for another week and then I will start up some new ones! Am planning on starting a running program here in the next couple of weeks as well. I am looking at maybe doing a little triathlon that is in august. Its nothing to crazy but I think 7 months will be a good amount of time to train for it. It is 400 meter swim, 10.5 mile bike ride and then a 3.2 mile run.
That. Is. Awesome. And the payout is pretty sweet too :)

The triathlon is a good idea! Go for it!!!! I have done several years of 8 hr adventure races and 100km bike rides. I like signing up for events because it pushes me to train regularly. I definitely up the frequency and regularity of workouts when I am training for an event.

Sadly, all these years of endurance events and it hasn't helped with weightloss. In fact I often eat a little bit more since I "worked out so hard". Still, they are amazing from physical fitness and accomplishment points of view :)

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2019, 12:12:15 PM »
I'm going to try and weigh myself every Friday.  I have a bad habit of never tracking calories on the weekends and which leads me to overeat but once I'm back at work I get back to routine of tracking at every meal.  My scale tells me BMI and BF %.  Not sure how accurate it is but I'll include it anyway since I have the numbers.

Starting point: 1/18/19-178.2 lbs, BMI=25.8, Body Fat=23.3%

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2019, 04:16:46 PM »
I'm going to try and weigh myself every Friday.  I have a bad habit of never tracking calories on the weekends and which leads me to overeat but once I'm back at work I get back to routine of tracking at every meal.  My scale tells me BMI and BF %.  Not sure how accurate it is but I'll include it anyway since I have the numbers.

Starting point: 1/18/19-178.2 lbs, BMI=25.8, Body Fat=23.3%

When I’m really trying hard to lose I like to weigh twice a week because a lot of variables cause spikes. I also tend to go heavier on the weekends as well.

I’d suggest Tuesday and Friday. That gives you a day of recovery after a weekend of slacking a bit.

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2019, 04:50:57 PM »
Joining!
Will post my weight and goal after measuring tomorrow.
I lost 15 kg by applying the metabolic balance program 7 years ago and it is sad to be plus 15 kg now again but I am thinking I can do this! If my weight again stays off for about 5 years ( have been gaining it back mostly during the last two) that will be great ideally I will keep it off for good.
I love eating, comfort and reward myself with food and hope to break that pattern.

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2019, 02:00:11 AM »
Okay, 80kg this morning. That means I gained back 13 kg not 15 which is great but still 13 kg or 26 (german) pounds to many.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2019, 04:19:34 PM »
Welcome @Annette!

I got my weekly digest from MFP and realized this is actually the first time I have been within 15% of my goal all 7 days! So yay for some consistency! I won't hit that mark again this week because there was a birthday party with pizza. BUT, I'm going to try to run a deficit other days to catch up a bit.

Proud of myself because in the last week and a half, I have gone to the gym on THREE days I normally wouldn't. A Saturday off and the following Sunday before work, to lift.* Then this morning it was too snow to run but I made myself go and use the treadmill even though I HATE treadmills.  I would rather be outside--like if it's, say, 21 degrees and there are only patches of snow and ice, then I'll run/walk. I was pretty bored but I actually got more steps! It's not as snowy by work so I did make it out for a very cold lunch walk, too.

*Shout out to my excellent husband for not even blinking at the extra solo child care, even though he already does the bulk of the solo child care because of my work schedule.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2019, 07:42:37 AM »
3 weeks in and down a few more pounds! It's been a bit easier to go with the flow and choose "best guess" options for restaurants and stuff. I still don't know if I'm any better at guesstimating volumes/weights but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jan 02 2019: 161 lbs
Jan 09 2019: 157.4 lbs
Jan 16 2019: 157.2 lbs
Jan 23 2019: 152.8 lbs

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2019, 02:35:58 PM »
@LBF that's awesome :) It always feels good AFTER the workout doesn't it?

@turketron Amazing progress! Love seeing the numbers go down :)

Counting cals in MFP has a good motivator to stop eating once I see the numbers turn red.

Its that time of the month for me so my scale isn't quite so happy but I expect to see decent numbers by Friday.

Megs193

• Stubble
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2019, 03:38:28 PM »
I weighed myself today and I’m down 2 pounds. I wish I was a losing faster but at least I’m going In the right direction.

1/7 - 158.8
1/23 - 156.8
Goal weight - 140

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2019, 04:20:01 PM »
@LBF that's awesome :) It always feels good AFTER the workout doesn't it?

It should, but I have gotten something wrong with my routine and am experiencing bad upper back pain! I'm sure I will get it under control soon.

Nice work @Megs193!

smoghat

• Bristles
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2019, 07:19:18 PM »
Progress so far, some up, but the downward trend is there. Ten pounds this month (I didn’t keep track of the fractions, but I bet it was over 204.4). I can’t imagine that this will continue that fast, since there are some plateaus I hit (I never went below 193 last year), but who knows. I’m did a fast from 8pm yesterday to 4pm today and didn’t gorge on dinner. That sort of day, plus running 45 minutes or more definitely helps. Oh and no booze, which changes on 2/1, but I won’t let it rule me.

1/1   204
1/4   202
1/7   198.8
1/9   197.5
1/10 195.5
1/11 195.2
1/12 194.9
1/14 195.7
1/16 197.6
1/17 199.5
1/20 198.0
1/23 194.4

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2019, 05:10:19 AM »
So, I don't normally pay attention to whatever trendy diet is being pushed.  But I've had several friends have really, really good results from this keto thing so I decided to give it a try for a couple of weeks.  So far, I'm on week 2 and liking it.  I'm not hungry all the time even though I'm only eating 1200 calories a day (I'm 5'1, so this isn't an absurdly low number).  I'm having a hard time convincing myself to eat the entire amount of fat that's recommended, but anything that lets me eat an avocado a day is cool with me.  I lost 5 lbs last week.  I assume that's mostly water weight, but I'll take it. 

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2019, 06:17:05 AM »
So glad keto is working for you! It's great that you feel satisfied with the food you are eating. 

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2019, 06:35:28 AM »
I will say that I'm making a conscious effort to eat leaner cuts of meat (I just happened to have a large stash of chicken breast, boneless pork chops, and bottom round roast in the freezer), but add in the healthier fats like olive oil and olives and avocados and stuff to get the fat numbers in.  I've seen so many people murder the low carb thing by eating a pound of bacon and eggs for breakfast every day and then wonder why their cholesterol levels are skyrocketing.  There are some things that I'm having to learn how to like(I'm looking at you, pork rinds), but for the most part I can definitely do this.  The only downsides I've seen so far is that a lot of things do have to be made from scratch, which takes time.  Also, a lot of the healthier oils and low carb flours and stuff are, if available locally at all, on the expensive side. 

C-note

• Stubble
« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2019, 06:34:05 PM »
12-14-18 - Beginning Weight:  188.1
01-03-19 - 185.2 - Down 2.9  Remaining to First Goal:  5.2  Remaining to Second Goal:  10.2 - revised
01-10-19 - 183.6 - Down 1.6  Remaining to First Goal:  3.6  Remaining to Second Goal:  8.6
01-17-19 - 184.4 - Up 0.8  Remaining to First Goal:  4.4  Remaining to Second Goal  9.4
01-18-19 - 182.9 - Down 1.5  Remaining to First Goal 2.9  Remaining to Second Goal 7.9
01-24-19 - 183.5 - Up 0.6  Blah Blah Blah

This trajectory is going to drive me crazy.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2019, 06:48:03 PM »
I will say that I'm making a conscious effort to eat leaner cuts of meat (I just happened to have a large stash of chicken breast, boneless pork chops, and bottom round roast in the freezer), but add in the healthier fats like olive oil and olives and avocados and stuff to get the fat numbers in.  I've seen so many people murder the low carb thing by eating a pound of bacon and eggs for breakfast every day and then wonder why their cholesterol levels are skyrocketing.  There are some things that I'm having to learn how to like(I'm looking at you, pork rinds), but for the most part I can definitely do this.  The only downsides I've seen so far is that a lot of things do have to be made from scratch, which takes time.  Also, a lot of the healthier oils and low carb flours and stuff are, if available locally at all, on the expensive side.

A few of my mates are on the Keto bandwagon and when I point out that it might have other health side affects from eating so much fat and not having enough fiber they get quite defensive. I dont know if any of them have had their cholesterol tested, they seem to think if they are losing weight it must be healthy

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2019, 08:34:14 PM »
@nnls I agree - people have tp be careful. Losing weight is not the be all and end all. Yes it is nice to drop the pounds. But if losing weight means doing things that will adversely affect your health (especially in the long term), I think that is extremely unwise.

I count calories but start paying very close attention when I go through periods of eating very low calories. In Week 2, I was skipping breakfast and eating 300 cals for lunch and 300-400 cals for dinner. I chose veggie heavy satiating meals so after a several rounds of 100-200 cal snacks (mostly fruits although I would also have chocolate chips or a bit of junk food), I sometimes only ate 1000-1200 calories.

I get 1200 cals a day (am only 5ft tall) but do eat my exercise calories back so usually get 1400 calories to eat. So eating 1000-1200 calories a day for several days a row got me quite concerned and I started adding heftier snacks.

I have eaten too little before (when I started calorie counting a few years ago, I didn't eat any of my exercise calories) and after 1-2 months got fatigued and cranky. Sure I was losing weight fast (around 2 lbs a week) but it was not healthy so I started eating more and continued losing at a reasonable rate of 1 lb a week. After that experience, I have been careful and really feel its important not to cut calories too deeply. Plus it just isn't sustainable and maintainkng is even tougher.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2019, 08:46:48 PM »
Well done everyone, some of you are killing it!
This is my 3rd month in and I'm struggling. Thats predictable for me. I haven't gained but I haven't lost either, so I'm going to try a big push for the end of the month.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2019, 09:00:43 PM »
Had a good workout day today. I spent about 1.5 hours in the pool. 60 mins on laps and a 45 min aquafit class. I had a new aquafit instructor today and she was watching me struggle a bit learning some new moves and would correct my form occasionally. At one point, I was using smaller water weights and after watching me for a couple of mins, she got another lady to pass me larger weights saying the other ones were too small for me haha.

One of the regulars commented later that many just move around gently but I am very intense. I definitely slosh a lot of water around!

I do work hard in the classes - I figure why wast my time and money? Besides, more than the cardio and losing weight, I really want to improve my strength and flexibility as I know it will help me in my hiking, biking, and canoeing. Plus DH wants me to be able to haul stuff around - I am a weakling lol!

Overall, I am loving my swim membership. I have always loved swimming (obsessed with lap swimming) but rarely get to swim. Last summer we camped by a lake that had a decent sized swimming area and I spent 3 solid hours swimming back and forth. Usually I swim laps in small hotel pools that are maybe 3-5 strokes across so swimming in a proper sized pool is a luxury to me.

And aquafit is a blast. Yes I get exhausted  (and I still hate crunches! ) but it really is a whole lot more fun in water than on land.  Besides,  I walk and run a lot so it is good to do something that gets me off my feet (which I messed up a bit a few years back with excessive walking).

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2019, 09:32:26 PM »
Had a good workout day today. I spent about 1.5 hours in the pool. 60 mins on laps and a 45 min aquafit class. I had a new aquafit instructor today and she was watching me struggle a bit learning some new moves and would correct my form occasionally. At one point, I was using smaller water weights and after watching me for a couple of mins, she got another lady to pass me larger weights saying the other ones were too small for me haha.

One of the regulars commented later that many just move around gently but I am very intense. I definitely slosh a lot of water around!

I do work hard in the classes - I figure why wast my time and money? Besides, more than the cardio and losing weight, I really want to improve my strength and flexibility as I know it will help me in my hiking, biking, and canoeing. Plus DH wants me to be able to haul stuff around - I am a weakling lol!

Overall, I am loving my swim membership. I have always loved swimming (obsessed with lap swimming) but rarely get to swim. Last summer we camped by a lake that had a decent sized swimming area and I spent 3 solid hours swimming back and forth. Usually I swim laps in small hotel pools that are maybe 3-5 strokes across so swimming in a proper sized pool is a luxury to me.

And aquafit is a blast. Yes I get exhausted  (and I still hate crunches! ) but it really is a whole lot more fun in water than on land.  Besides,  I walk and run a lot so it is good to do something that gets me off my feet (which I messed up a bit a few years back with excessive walking).

I wish I could find some kind of exercise I really enjoying, the stuff I do I dont hate but I dont love it either. Maybe I need to try some classes and see if something fits.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2019, 06:15:47 AM »

A few of my mates are on the Keto bandwagon and when I point out that it might have other health side affects from eating so much fat and not having enough fiber they get quite defensive. I dont know if any of them have had their cholesterol tested, they seem to think if they are losing weight it must be healthy

I have one friend who is doing keto at the recommendation of his doctor, so I know he's being monitored.  His dad died of a heart attack at 40 and he was bordering on morbidly obese in his late 30's so his doctor wanted the weight off ASAP.  He's taking a similar approach that I am and sticking mainly with the unsaturated fats.  He's lost 75 lbs since July and says that his cholesterol numbers are much better, so I think he's doing something right.  It's like everything though, there's really no shortcut to doing it the right way. 

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2019, 06:25:59 AM »
@nnls , the key for me was finding a class I really love, so I would definitely encourage you to explore your local options.  In my case, it's Jazzercise - cardio routines set to music for about 35 minutes and then weight routines set to music for about 20.  SOOOOO much better than anything I had tried before (cardio and weight machines at the gym, mostly).

I am still somewhat surprised when I go to class to realize I actually enjoy it!

bcbaseballman

• Stubble
« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2019, 07:38:47 AM »
 I have been wanting to start swimming again. I use to swim all the time. My town just put a new Natatorium in next to the high school and it is joined with the city activity center. They have lap swim in the evenings I just need to go over there and do it. I just signed my boys up for swimming lessons there. that will be a good time for me to get started!

Keep up the good work everyone!

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2019, 08:55:45 AM »
1/18/19-178.2 lbs, BMI=25.8, Body Fat=23.3%
1/25/18-181.9 lbs, BMI=26.3, Body Fat=23.9%

I have been eating at a deficit regularly and working out every work day during my lunch break doing a combination of cardio and weightlifting.  I don't know how to tell if any of the weight gain is muscle growth or if I need to change up my tracking strategy.  Disheartening.

Vibrissae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2019, 10:22:27 AM »

This last week was a bit stagnant; I've been hanging out at 170.6 to 171. It's been a sort of weird anxious/restless/don't know what to do with myself week, and I'm not sure why. Yesterday especially was a bit splurgey, but not a total disaster, so that's good. (I was a shade above 1500, which is generally my upper limit.) Today I'm getting myself back into line, and so far it's going well.