Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2018  (Read 241855 times)

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
Re: Losing Weight in 2018
« Reply #350 on: January 21, 2018, 09:06:32 AM »
Posting early because I hit one of my goals today, which is the weight I was last year at this time, or about 7 lbs above my final goal. I also got my 10 pound weight loss badge from Fitbit. I am not going to get too excited until my weekly average stays below this number, as it could just be a fluctuation. My % body fat is also at a new post-pregnancy low, but still higher than it was last year (using my scale so not sure how accurate this is). The weather hit a balmy 43 degrees yesterday so I went for a nice bike ride in the country while DH watched the kiddies.

lemonverbena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #351 on: January 21, 2018, 04:22:30 PM »
Jan 1: 142lbs
Jan 7: 136lbs

Jan 21: 132lbs

Still haven't started exercising. I did have the flu, so that dropped me a few pounds. And for dinner last night and breakfast this morning, I did a mini Fasting Mimicking Diet as a little kick-start to my intentions of eating low-carb. I INTEND to get some exercise tomorrow after work... we shall see if I actually manage to do it.

asosharp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #352 on: January 22, 2018, 03:31:10 AM »
I have been doing a bit poorly the past few days. I did manage to go to the gym on Thursday night and met some lovely people there.

On the weekend I went on a church retreat so I didn't go to the gym as the retreat was in the middle of nowhere. I did a walking trail and stuff so I did 'keep fit' but not as much as I would have liked to. The food was out of my control as it was supplied by the organisers. I admit to having a few cakes.. couldn't resist it. lol That plus one of the cakes was for a celebration so I joined in with everyone else.

Will have to get back into the gym this week!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #353 on: January 22, 2018, 06:13:50 AM »
I made it to Crossfit 3x last week, which was part of my goal, but failed to get in a long hike/walk.  I waited until too late in the afternoon on Saturday, and it got much colder than I expected, so I chickened out because I was afraid it would start snowing.

My diet over the weekend was AWFUL.  I got started on sweet things somehow, and it devolved into eating a normal day's worth of food (breakfast, lunch, dinner) plus two tortillas with melted chocolate chips and peanut butter, and then some more peanut butter, then some more chocolate chips, etc.  Blech.  I put everything in MFP, though!  It was mildly terrifying.  I'm getting back on track now that I'm at work and I have more limited access to snacks.  Consequently, no weight loss, but that's ok. 

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #354 on: January 22, 2018, 06:47:06 AM »
The past week was quite good, especially in terms of exercise. I'm enjoying resistance training. I did 4 sessions from Monday-Sunday last week. I did have pizza one evening, so that's 2 meals that included cheese this month. Beer consumption was higher than it needs to be, so I'm abstaining from Saturday until Thursday. This weekend includes a 3 night trip to a town which features several breweries. I don't expect to abstain from alcohol then.

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #355 on: January 22, 2018, 06:58:57 AM »
Dec 4: 179.6 (35.3% fat) ... the moment where I said: This needs to stop.

Jan 1: 176.6 (35.0% fat)
Jan 8: 175.5 (34.7% fat)
Jan 15: 175.6 (34.7% fat)
Jan 22: 174.4 (34.6% fat)

January Goals (Week 1):
    Tracking in MFP (4/7 days)
    Active minutes (141/150 minutes)
    5,000 steps (2/7 days) ... with a few 4,500+ days in there

January Goals (Week 2):
    Tracking in MFP (7/7 days)
    Active minutes (230/150 minutes)
    5,000 steps (5/7 days)

January Goals (Week 3):
    Tracking in MFP (7/7 days)
    Active minutes (184/150 minutes)
    5,000 steps (4/7 days)

Doing well on goals except for consistent steps--office job with too many meetings is killing me.

Down 2.2# in three weeks, which feels great. Fancy scale told me that I'm now 30.1 BMI--getting under 30 and no longer being "obese" is a fun motivator for the week!

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #356 on: January 22, 2018, 08:24:57 AM »
Per Happy Scale I've lost 2 pounds. Logging food before I eat it seems to be an effective way to get myself to evaluate if I really need that blizzard. I didn't get to the gym 3 times last week, but I did do a class, lift twice, and did the walking desk enough so that beat my calorie burn goal each day. So gonna say yay for that.

Part of me wants to get really aggressive with this, but past habits tell me that's when I yo-yo. Yes 2 isn't a lot. Yes this is going to take time. It's about building a sustainable lifestyle and just making it a habit I don't even think about. I can do this. Stay the course!
Down 4 pounds in 18 days. So close to under 190. It's been slower than I'd like, but frankly it hasn't been that hard either. I think the forced logging before eating has been a good change for me. Usually when I have a crazy week at work, like this one, I would have gained a couple pounds through stress eating. While this week I didn't get the exercise I'd like, at least that stopped me from gaining weight.

Ate my sadness watching the Vikings last night. It was enough to gain 2 pounds back. Forgot how easy that is.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #357 on: January 22, 2018, 08:30:59 AM »
Per Happy Scale I've lost 2 pounds. Logging food before I eat it seems to be an effective way to get myself to evaluate if I really need that blizzard. I didn't get to the gym 3 times last week, but I did do a class, lift twice, and did the walking desk enough so that beat my calorie burn goal each day. So gonna say yay for that.

Part of me wants to get really aggressive with this, but past habits tell me that's when I yo-yo. Yes 2 isn't a lot. Yes this is going to take time. It's about building a sustainable lifestyle and just making it a habit I don't even think about. I can do this. Stay the course!
Down 4 pounds in 18 days. So close to under 190. It's been slower than I'd like, but frankly it hasn't been that hard either. I think the forced logging before eating has been a good change for me. Usually when I have a crazy week at work, like this one, I would have gained a couple pounds through stress eating. While this week I didn't get the exercise I'd like, at least that stopped me from gaining weight.

Ate my sadness watching the Vikings last night. It was enough to gain 2 pounds back. Forgot how easy that is.
I was also sad about the Vikings! Those 2 pounds are likely water weight/bloat from eating salty food. They'll go away :)

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #358 on: January 22, 2018, 08:56:41 AM »

I was also sad about the Vikings! Those 2 pounds are likely water weight/bloat from eating salty food. They'll go away :)

I was about to respond with the same thing!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #359 on: January 22, 2018, 09:33:52 AM »
I made it to Crossfit 3x last week, which was part of my goal, but failed to get in a long hike/walk.  I waited until too late in the afternoon on Saturday, and it got much colder than I expected, so I chickened out because I was afraid it would start snowing.

My diet over the weekend was AWFUL.  I got started on sweet things somehow, and it devolved into eating a normal day's worth of food (breakfast, lunch, dinner) plus two tortillas with melted chocolate chips and peanut butter, and then some more peanut butter, then some more chocolate chips, etc.  Blech.  I put everything in MFP, though!  It was mildly terrifying.  I'm getting back on track now that I'm at work and I have more limited access to snacks.  Consequently, no weight loss, but that's ok.

Do you have a sense of what sets you off on that path? (Been there myself, so super sympathetic). Aside from hormone changes, which are hard to predict & near impossible to regulate, I find that disagreements with my spouse/kids and/or carryover work stress to be the big causes. I try to immediately make myself a cup of hot tea, grab a book, go outside for a few minutes to breathe in fresh air, etc really helps. I also ask myself (like, literally ask myself), what would it look like if you didn't binge eat? How will you feel a) in the moment and b) after? Will you regret this, or enjoy it? Sometimes even thinking it through helps me. Doing the above has helped me cut down so that it's a rare occasion & I can usually pull myself back even when I start to get off track.

And like you, too much sugar results in too much sugar & it's a vicious cycle for me. I find almost none helps the most.

SlowlyButSurely

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #360 on: January 22, 2018, 09:43:28 AM »
Surprisingly enough, I'm almost to my first milestone in half the time I had allotted for it. My weight didn't bounce back as much as I'd expected after the food poisoning, but I was also having my period, so that probably depressed the numbers a bit. I'm expecting to hit a local maximum this week before (hopefully) starting to trend downward again.

12/26/2017 - 192.1 lbs
01/01/2018 - 190.6 lbs (14% goal 1, 5% stretch goal)
01/08/2018 - 189.2 lbs (28% goal 1, 11% stretch goal)
01/15/2018 - 184.3 lbs (77% goal 1, 31% stretch goal)
01/22/2018 - 182.1 lbs (99% goal 1, 71% goal 1.5, 40% stretch goal)

Given that I made such quick progress, I'm adding Goal 1.5 to my timeline, namely reaching 178 by 02/16. That's a pound a week, which is not crazy given my progress so far, but it will be confounded by work travel. I have three 3-day trips in the next four weeks, and keeping my eating in check is a real challenge on the road, especially with catered events. I'm going to try to include 24-hour fasts where possible, and otherwise just do the best I can. I'm also going to try to keep up the daily exercise in hotel gyms, something I haven't really attempted before. We'll see how it goes.

So far, I haven't found it too hard to stick to my eating plan when I'm home, but I'm getting to the stage where I'm bored with the restrictions, and there have been days where I really wanted comfort food (pizza and wine, mostly). I'm becoming more aware of the impulse to eat because I'm sad or bored, and I'm doing better about managing those impulses. I do sometimes give in partially (no pizza or wine, but other things that I'm trying to eat less of), but at least I'm aware I'm doing it and making a conscious decision. I figure that's the place to start.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #361 on: January 22, 2018, 09:50:03 AM »

Do you have a sense of what sets you off on that path? (Been there myself, so super sympathetic). Aside from hormone changes, which are hard to predict & near impossible to regulate, I find that disagreements with my spouse/kids and/or carryover work stress to be the big causes. I try to immediately make myself a cup of hot tea, grab a book, go outside for a few minutes to breathe in fresh air, etc really helps. I also ask myself (like, literally ask myself), what would it look like if you didn't binge eat? How will you feel a) in the moment and b) after? Will you regret this, or enjoy it? Sometimes even thinking it through helps me. Doing the above has helped me cut down so that it's a rare occasion & I can usually pull myself back even when I start to get off track.

And like you, too much sugar results in too much sugar & it's a vicious cycle for me. I find almost none helps the most.

Sometimes it is boredom eating.  I am home 3 days a week with our toddler, which isn't bad at all, but sometimes he just wants to stand at the sink and hold his spoon under the water for 30 minutes, and there I am in the kitchen, right next to all the food, eating his leftover goldfish.  I've also noticed that I eat mindlessly when I sit on the couch and read or watch TV, especially during the day.  If I go up to the bedroom and read, it's fine, but if I'm downstairs I often end up with a snack, which leads to more snacks. 

There is additional eating when I'm stressed, and especially when I don't get enough sleep.  I really crave sweet things after I toss and turn all night, or when the toddler is sick and wakes me up a lot. 

I think getting in the habit of asking myself how I'll feel if I do eat all this crap is the best option, and of realizing when I can physically remove myself from the situation.  I really do feel awful if I eat a lot of carbs and sugar, especially if I haven't been for a few days/weeks - I get lethargic, I break out, my stomach and GI system are all gurgley and sad and uncomfortable - it's totally not worth three days of feeling bad. 

You'd think after living in my own house and dealing with things like this for 15 years I would have a better handle on how to abstain.  I'll just keep working on it, I guess :)  The most important step you can take is the next one.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #362 on: January 22, 2018, 10:56:11 AM »

I was about to respond with the same thing!

Ya I know, it's just silly looking back on it. No reason to eat all that! Didn't solve any problems and now I feel a little gross/greasy today since I haven't been eating any of that stuff lately.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #363 on: January 22, 2018, 11:05:42 AM »
Ya I know, it's just silly looking back on it. No reason to eat all that! Didn't solve any problems and now I feel a little gross/greasy today since I haven't been eating any of that stuff lately.
That's good biofeedback. I personally am a big believer in a cheat meal (someone on this thread called them Joy Meals, I think) once every week or two. They are a staple of many, many fat reduction diets and are used by lots of fitness and bodybuilding competitors. In the long run they don't do any harm, and in the short run they can help your psychology.*

*And possibly keep your metabolism revved, but this is controversial in the literature.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #364 on: January 22, 2018, 11:08:02 AM »

Sometimes it is boredom eating.  I am home 3 days a week with our toddler, which isn't bad at all, but sometimes he just wants to stand at the sink and hold his spoon under the water for 30 minutes, and there I am in the kitchen, right next to all the food, eating his leftover goldfish.  I've also noticed that I eat mindlessly when I sit on the couch and read or watch TV, especially during the day.  If I go up to the bedroom and read, it's fine, but if I'm downstairs I often end up with a snack, which leads to more snacks. 

There is additional eating when I'm stressed, and especially when I don't get enough sleep.  I really crave sweet things after I toss and turn all night, or when the toddler is sick and wakes me up a lot. 

I think getting in the habit of asking myself how I'll feel if I do eat all this crap is the best option, and of realizing when I can physically remove myself from the situation.  I really do feel awful if I eat a lot of carbs and sugar, especially if I haven't been for a few days/weeks - I get lethargic, I break out, my stomach and GI system are all gurgley and sad and uncomfortable - it's totally not worth three days of feeling bad. 

You'd think after living in my own house and dealing with things like this for 15 years I would have a better handle on how to abstain.  I'll just keep working on it, I guess :)  The most important step you can take is the next one.

I could have written all of this. Tricks I use(d) for boredom eating when home with the kids. Take the kids outside, work on a puzzle together, anything to get out of the kitchen. I also challenge myself to do 30 situps or pushups or whatever. I brush my teeth. And, when I was home with small toddlers & struggled the most, I would chew gum and/or buy those lifesaver mints & eat those. The fresh minty taste would make it a deterrent to eat.

I personally found the toddler phases to be hard. The lack of sleep combined with not having your own schedule was challenging. You've got this!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #365 on: January 22, 2018, 12:23:45 PM »

I could have written all of this. Tricks I use(d) for boredom eating when home with the kids. Take the kids outside, work on a puzzle together, anything to get out of the kitchen. I also challenge myself to do 30 situps or pushups or whatever. I brush my teeth. And, when I was home with small toddlers & struggled the most, I would chew gum and/or buy those lifesaver mints & eat those. The fresh minty taste would make it a deterrent to eat.

I personally found the toddler phases to be hard. The lack of sleep combined with not having your own schedule was challenging. You've got this!

Thanks for the encouragement :) 

I did start brushing my teeth with him before he goes to bed, and deciding not to eat after that makes a big difference in how much I snack.  Quick little workouts are a good idea, too.  I'll need to buy some gum, though...

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #366 on: January 22, 2018, 03:39:39 PM »
Jan 21: 183.2

I dipped down to 181.4 this week but then popped back up. It's fine; I know I oscillate at least 3 lbs and it's exciting to consider my former low my new high! I also remind myself it's *only been a week* since I hit that again.

I tried finding an article for you guys this morning but it's gone. But, to summarize: within the last 3 years, a friend of mine shared an article along the lines of "why the scale isn't moving" that was humorous and light and among other things mentioned that it's very common to gain/store water as you lose fat, which balance each other out and result in "no change" on the scale even though you're changing internally. Looking it up today I discovered it's termed "The Whoosh Effect" and is probably somewhat controversial medically, but a lot of people in fitness/personal training circles report experiencing it...and in fact, that the "whoosh" (i.e. when you eventually lose the water weight!) can be triggered by a "joy meal" (I like that!) or alcohol.  Didn't quite work out for me that way; relaxed my eating this weekend with a fair bit of socializing, got back on track yesterday (I guess I kind of did a fast because I wasn't hungry until like 3 or 4PM, and figured my body was still working on the previous day's lunch and dinner?) Ended up making up for it with some after-dinner snacks to get to the ~1250 kcal that's been filling me up most days lately, but I still consider very low food intake...

Jan 15: 182.0
Jan   8: 186.9

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #367 on: January 22, 2018, 03:48:47 PM »

I've heard for some people, doing something with hands while watching TV helps (knitting, folding laundry, playing a stupid phone game?, etc).

I've been trying to substitute tea for snacking in the TV/reading situations you've mentioned. There *is* definitely a pleasure to nibbling+media but I think sipping+media works almost as well! So far a slight pitfall in this plan has been that we have holiday chocolate out and I like tea with chocolate! But I'm not a chocoholic so I tend to just have one or two, and all things considered I'd rather eat the tasty chocolate gradually than waste it! But I know that doesn't hold for everyone...there's some snacks that we just make a rule not to get. E.g. potato chips. (We sometimes break the rule. As an exception.)

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #368 on: January 22, 2018, 06:35:54 PM »
That's good biofeedback. I personally am a big believer in a cheat meal (someone on this thread called them Joy Meals, I think) once every week or two. They are a staple of many, many fat reduction diets and are used by lots of fitness and bodybuilding competitors. In the long run they don't do any harm, and in the short run they can help your psychology.*

*And possibly keep your metabolism revved, but this is controversial in the literature.
Interesting! Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to figure out how I can integrate that in a more organized/less bingey manner.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #369 on: January 23, 2018, 12:10:31 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement :) 

I did start brushing my teeth with him before he goes to bed, and deciding not to eat after that makes a big difference in how much I snack.  Quick little workouts are a good idea, too.  I'll need to buy some gum, though...

I did the same thing yesterday after a poor night's sleep (trying to transition baby out of Rock n Play), no alone time/exercise time, and toddler just generally being loud and annoying. I decided "fuck it, I am having some cheese, and then some wine, and then some pretzels with Nutella, etc). Made me feel better temporarily but ended up 500 Cal above my goal when I logged it later. Best to just log it and move on.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #370 on: January 23, 2018, 10:29:36 PM »
I'd love to join too. I have baby fat to get rid of now that baby is five months old. I'm down 32 pounds from my highest of this year but that includes an 8 lb baby too, haha. I still need to lose 18 lbs for pre pregnancy weight and another 12 for my marriage wedding and another 14 for my ideal weight. I joined in 2017 and found we got pregnant. Hope to finish 2018 at my ideal weight. First goal is to get to pre pregnancy weight by end of March. Second goal is to hit wedding weight by June and to hit lowest weight by end of year (the hardest stretch which I hope to attack with established habits). Let's bring it on!

Like the idea of goals - here are our goals for Jan:
1) 5000 steps per day
2) 6 stairs per day
3) one meal of veggies and fruits only per day
Updating after two days:

I've lost two pounds - I'm sure it's more water weight than actual one but I'll take it :) I've cut out all carbs except for a tiny portion. Surprisingly it's not been that hard to switch. I've also noticed that I eat more sweets now (and ate some ice cream and sweets for new year). I usually hate sweets but developed a liking for them during my second pregnancy and am still holding on to it six months later. Time to kick the habit back to curb. My routine is crazy and I don't have much leeway into building in exercises. The only exercise I get is carrying a 17 lb baby. Has anyone lost weight only with diet changes? How important is exercise in a weight loss journey?
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll concentrate on food changes till I can add more exercise in. I especially loved the suggestion to incorporate exercise into play and surprisingly my baby is loving it! I'm now trying to find more ways to add in fun exercise into daily routine.

My weight is down 3 lbs (mostly water weight because low carbs). I don't track my food but try to eat healthy (less carbs, more veggies and fruits) but looking at some of your meals, I think I just eat a lot. I've gotten used to eating more when pregnant (yep, fell for the eating for two advice.... not that I needed lot of encouragement)  and my stomach expects more food. Need to slowly dial down the amount to a normal person's portions.

Does anyone forget you are trying to lose weight? I completely forgot and ate a few cookies. Later when I was checking how I did at end of day, I realized I ate those cookies :( how do I remember all the time?
I'm still losing weight daily (goes to show how much crap I was eating before) but it has slowed down. My eating is still not good enough (I eat a serving of carbs at every course (and a bit more at lunch) and I eat ice cream or sweets because it is at home). My nemesis is sweets and ice cream. I can't resist it when it is at home and I can't stop others at home buying it. To add to the problem, I forget I'm on a diet and eat them. I'm considering figuring what I should eat all day and not eat anything not on that list. Will give it a try for a few days to see if I can continue losing weight.
Still on the losing trend. I was expecting it to stop since my activity level hasn't increased much and my eating is still not perfect. I don't count calories or have a chance to weigh  food since I don't cook or shop (visiting in-laws for a few months). I'm trying to eat healthier (less carbs, more fruits vegetables and protein - egg, fish, chicken) and reduce sweets (take smaller portions, being selective in what I eat). My culture (Indian) shows love through food, especially sweets. So every visit (even when visiting parents every day) leads to more sweets and hurt egos if we don't eat the sweets. So far portion control has been the key. I can't believe how much crap I've been eating before for the weight to come off so easily now that I'm eating healthier.

This thread is so motivating and reminds me to make healthier choices with food. I find that I eat healthy when I remember and this thread is helping me remember. Thanks everyone!
Ok now the weight loss has stopped. Time to really get into cutting calories or burning them through exercise. I don't have an easy way to estimate calories or do exercise which makes it tricky. I'm planning to drink at least a glass of water before every meal and snack (and ideally before anytime food passes through my lips). I think I eat more than I think I'm eating. The first eight pounds came off easy. Now the real struggle starts. I still need to cut 12 pounds to reach my first goal (highest pre pregnancy weight) and 18 pounds to reach my second goal (my normal BMI weight). Hoping the water trick helps.

Please suggest other tricks that have helped in reducing food portions (basically tricking myself to eat less and eat healthier) or exercising more (moving more). I currently walk 7k steps a day and do 5-10 stairs.
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I especially love the eating fruits instead of sweets and using  shape wear ideas. I've also started concentrating on adding more protein to my diet (changed macros). My weight is still at standstill but it's at least not going up any more. I had one day (DH bday) where I had some cake but otherwise I'm starting to not be super tempted by sweets. I'm liking the progress even though the scales don't show it.... yet.

I'm also experimenting with eating only upto 80% of my stomach's capacity. Due to pregnancy eating, I fear my stomach has increased in size and I now need more food to feel satiated. I need to eat less to reduce it back to normal size. Will report back soon on its effects.

Thanks for the exercise tips. I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to exercise. So I'm starting with the walking videos and hope to increase from there.

Weight - still at 8 lbs loss from New year, no gains, no loss from last time.

Any app recommendations to log weight and get trending weight for a period?

I've started eating more frequently (breakfast, 11, 1, 4, 6 and 8) but lesser portions. This has helped me keep hunger at bay while tricking my stomach into eating less at every meal (and not worry too much if I don't eat to max since I know the next meal is just two hours away). I hope this reduces my stomach size and bring it back to normal (from pregnancy size). I'm also drinking more water than before.

Exercise is still not happening yet :( got a jump rope to see if I can make myself use it.

Managed to knock out three more pounds after hitting a plateau for a week or so in between. That brings up tally to 11 pounds lost since new year. Hope this is the start of a new losing streak.
Checking in here. Still at the 11 pound loss, inching towards 12 pounds. I think I've finally found a way to figure out how much food is right for my stomach. I've been experimenting with food portions and frequent small meals with each time being less than my palm keeps me sated while not overloading my stomach. I also like the feeling I get when I don't stuff myself. Now to remember it for all the hard times (party, buffet, mom-cooked delicious dishes). A pound more to my first half goal. So close!

Nightwatchman9270

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #371 on: January 24, 2018, 06:31:04 AM »
Checking in.....January 2nd I was 201.6..........This morning weighed 186.8!  Still a ways to go but it's encouraging!

The best part is I'm spending less of my busy day going to the gym (it's kinda free but not in a mustchian way) and working out.  And I quit running altogether (I was training for a half-marathon last summer and realized I hated it).

My only workout is P90 (AKA Power90) which I got for $30 on craigslist (actually was less because I went ahead and sold the 5 other DVDs that were included in the deal). In the time it takes me to go to the gym, my workout is finished!

I've been doing Whole30.  It has also eliminated my heartburn: I had graduated from antacids to Tagamet to Zantac to Prilosec over the course of 25 years and now I'm on nothing but Apple Cider Vinegar.

The rest of my life is a shitty mess but my weight loss has been a bright spot!

Sassociate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #372 on: January 24, 2018, 06:42:53 AM »
So, I'm super late to the party, but can I join y'all?

I had a baby six months ago, and although most of what I gained during pregnancy has come off, I still have somewhere around 20 lbs I'd like to lose. I'm currently at 145 lbs and am shooting for somewhere around 125. (I'm not married to that specific number, we'll see how my body feels as I get closer to that, but 122-127 is a range I've been comfortable at in the past, so it seems like as good a place as any to start.)

Because I'm still breastfeeding, I'm going to have to take it slowly - my doctor recommends I not lose more than 1 lb a week while I still breastfeed (apparently most of us have accumulated quite a lot of of PCB, DDT etc in our fat tissue over the years, and if you lose fat too quickly while breastfeeding you risk transferring higher doses than what is considered safe to your baby through the milk). On the other hand breastfeeding supposedly burns an extra 300-500 kcal/day, so that might help ;)

My main issue is I have a serious sugar problem. Our baby was colicky and the first few months were all about surviving, so when I didn't have any time to prepare healthy food or didn't have any in the house (and couldn't face carrying the stroller down two flights of stairs to go buy some), I got in the habit of just grabbing some chocolate or whatever cookies or candy we had lying around. I have a history of being terrrrrible at controlling my sugar intake, and predictably got stuck right back into the habit of eating a ton of sugar. I want to quit this not only because it's obviously not great for my health, but it's also killing our grocery budget in a very un-mustachian way (candy is comparatively expensive here, and we also just got a separate "sugar tax", so it's just going to keep getting more pricey). I just did my first day without candy, cookies etc yesterday and it was WAY harder than I remember it being the last few times, probably because I let the sugar habit get so out of hand.

Anyway, I'm super impressed with how many of you have already made amazing progress and looking forward to getting to know you all!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #373 on: January 24, 2018, 07:05:09 AM »

I had a baby six months ago, and although most of what I gained during pregnancy has come off, I still have somewhere around 20 lbs I'd like to lose. I'm currently at 145 lbs and am shooting for somewhere around 125. (I'm not married to that specific number, we'll see how my body feels as I get closer to that, but 122-127 is a range I've been comfortable at in the past, so it seems like as good a place as any to start.)

Because I'm still breastfeeding, I'm going to have to take it slowly - my doctor recommends I not lose more than 1 lb a week while I still breastfeed (apparently most of us have accumulated quite a lot of of PCB, DDT etc in our fat tissue over the years, and if you lose fat too quickly while breastfeeding you risk transferring higher doses than what is considered safe to your baby through the milk). On the other hand breastfeeding supposedly burns an extra 300-500 kcal/day, so that might help ;)

My main issue is I have a serious sugar problem. Our baby was colicky and the first few months were all about surviving, so when I didn't have any time to prepare healthy food or didn't have any in the house (and couldn't face carrying the stroller down two flights of stairs to go buy some), I got in the habit of just grabbing some chocolate or whatever cookies or candy we had lying around. I have a history of being terrrrrible at controlling my sugar intake, and predictably got stuck right back into the habit of eating a ton of sugar. I want to quit this not only because it's obviously not great for my health, but it's also killing our grocery budget in a very un-mustachian way (candy is comparatively expensive here, and we also just got a separate "sugar tax", so it's just going to keep getting more pricey). I just did my first day without candy, cookies etc yesterday and it was WAY harder than I remember it being the last few times, probably because I let the sugar habit get so out of hand.

Anyway, I'm super impressed with how many of you have already made amazing progress and looking forward to getting to know you all!

A couple of notes:

1) "The Internet" says it takes 20 calories to make an oz of breast milk.  At 6 months, my kid was having two 5 oz bottles at daycare, and nursing 4-5 more times when I was home.  Conservatively, that really is like 500-600 calories burned just feeding another person, not to mention carrying them around.  Once they start eating real food it obviously goes down, but it's still a nice big window of extra calories :)

2)  Do you have a baby carrier?  Having a soft structured carrier like a Lillebaby (my favorite) or Ergo/Baby Bjorn, etc., makes getting out of the house SO much easier.  You don't have to throw a stroller in your car, or wrangle it down the stairs, and you can comfortably carry your baby at the grocery store (or any store), and still have both hands!  And you get a little bit of exercise carrying around baby, especially if you go for walks in it :)  I'd highly recommend one.

I absolutely understand the sugar cravings, and I'm working on that myself right now, so I don't have a lot of advice :)  I have to keep it out of the house, generally.  I've also been eating whipped cream or coconut butter with berries for dessert.  Whipped cream is low-ish calorie, and gives you a little bit of sweetness with the berries to fill you up.  Coconut butter is kind of expensive, but it's a little bit sweet and full of fat.  For me, it counts as a dessert flavor, but makes me much more satisfied and full feeling.  You've got to be careful, though, because 14g is a single 100 calorie serving.  I have to weigh it out, otherwise I have no idea how much I'm eating.

Good luck! 

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #374 on: January 24, 2018, 08:13:59 AM »
Check in:
Weight:
Jan 1 2018:    153.4 lb
Jan 8 2018:    150.7 lb
Jan 15, 2018: 147.6 lb
Jan 22, 2018:  146.3

Between the 15th and the 22nd, weight fluctuated a lot, going as high as 148.1 and as low as 145.

Food:
Still low carb, but not ketogenic, until I finish off some fruit and butternut squash. I did another 36 hour fast.  It wasn't as weird as the first. I'm tempted to add more days a week, but I'm holding off for now so I don't burn out.

Exercise:
Met most of my fitness goals: 4 long walks, 2 strength training (gym was closed one day for the holiday), 1 yoga. I still haven't found a "fun" activity yet to replace swing dancing.

Nightwatchman9270

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #375 on: January 24, 2018, 08:50:26 AM »
Wow! that's impressive!  I think I'd have trouble with a 36hr fast!  The best I can do is I skip dinner if it means eating after 7pm.  There's no point in eating that late for me when I usually have to go to bed by 930.

Skipped dinner yesterday because I have a Meditation calss from 600 until 830pm

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #376 on: January 24, 2018, 11:01:58 AM »

Welcome, I am a new mom too, with a 2 month old and an almost-three-year-old. I am sorry your baby had colic, I never had to deal with that. I find that breastfeeding really helps with the weight loss, even though I am also supplementing my baby due to poor weight gain. I have just reached my pre-pregnancy weight but have about seven more pounds to reach my ideal weight. Those stairs sound like built-in exercise to me.

Sassociate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #377 on: January 24, 2018, 03:17:38 PM »
A couple of notes:

1) "The Internet" says it takes 20 calories to make an oz of breast milk.  At 6 months, my kid was having two 5 oz bottles at daycare, and nursing 4-5 more times when I was home.  Conservatively, that really is like 500-600 calories burned just feeding another person, not to mention carrying them around.  Once they start eating real food it obviously goes down, but it's still a nice big window of extra calories :)

2)  Do you have a baby carrier?  Having a soft structured carrier like a Lillebaby (my favorite) or Ergo/Baby Bjorn, etc., makes getting out of the house SO much easier.  You don't have to throw a stroller in your car, or wrangle it down the stairs, and you can comfortably carry your baby at the grocery store (or any store), and still have both hands!  And you get a little bit of exercise carrying around baby, especially if you go for walks in it :)  I'd highly recommend one.

I absolutely understand the sugar cravings, and I'm working on that myself right now, so I don't have a lot of advice :)  I have to keep it out of the house, generally.  I've also been eating whipped cream or coconut butter with berries for dessert.  Whipped cream is low-ish calorie, and gives you a little bit of sweetness with the berries to fill you up.  Coconut butter is kind of expensive, but it's a little bit sweet and full of fat.  For me, it counts as a dessert flavor, but makes me much more satisfied and full feeling.  You've got to be careful, though, because 14g is a single 100 calorie serving.  I have to weigh it out, otherwise I have no idea how much I'm eating.

Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement, and if you're right about bf'ing burning an extra 500-600 kcal, all the better. I got the 300-500 number from my doctor, but she may have low balled me for fear I would take it as license to keep up the sugar consumption, haha!

I did get a baby carrier for my birthday at the end of October, so I don't have that excuse for not getting to the store anymore (honestly at this point it was just bad habits and a refusal to put in the work to turn them around). I mainly use it for shorter trips though, because she is getting impatient with the inward facing position and is too young to be in the outward facing one for long. I'm making an effort to take daily walks with her in the stroller, though, so I get plenty of exercise that way. :)

I also totally agree with you on keeping sweets out of the house. My other thing I have to do is not go to the store when I'm hungry and I have to minimize the number of times I need to go to the store in a week. I try to do a weekly shop, but if that hasn't happened (and let's be realistic, it's not always going to happen) and I have to go to the store down the street, I try to at least buy dinner for three days so I don't have to be back there doing the whole "conspicuously averting my eyes from the candy bars while waiting in line" thing the next day. :P

I also happened to read this today, and thought he had a lot of useful tips for tactics to reduce calories in (although a few of the list items are a bit... easier said than done - after all, if I could just consistently eat until just satisfied rather than stuffed, I probably wouldn't be reading this article): http://www.bodyforwife.com/the-caloric-deficit-cheat-sheet/

Welcome, I am a new mom too, with a 2 month old and an almost-three-year-old. I am sorry your baby had colic, I never had to deal with that. I find that breastfeeding really helps with the weight loss, even though I am also supplementing my baby due to poor weight gain. I have just reached my pre-pregnancy weight but have about seven more pounds to reach my ideal weight. Those stairs sound like built-in exercise to me.

Thanks for the encouragement! You seem to be doing great so far, congrats on making your 10 lbs goal early! (I also love your attitude towards the nutella/wine/cheese mishap - I really wish I was able to let it go and not keep beating myself up over it when things don't go according to plan, good for you for being so sensible and constructive about it!)

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #378 on: January 24, 2018, 04:53:40 PM »
Weigh-in Wednesday (covering the last 2 weeks):

1/0/18:   -3.4 lbs
1/17/18:  -3.4 lbs
1/24/18:  -4.6 lbs

Making progress, slowly but surely!  I've also done well with my other goals - tracked my food 14/14 days, meditated 13/14 days, and am up to 3 Jazzercise classes a week and haven't missed any in the past 2 weeks.

I'm also tracking body measurements, but need to figure out a way to do them accurately and consistently.  I made a few notes this time so I can feel more certain next time about whether I'm losing inches or just measuring differently.

My first goal is to hit 11.5 lbs lost by mid-March.  That's when I'm going on a trip and I know that at that weight, my warm-weather clothes will fit okay (since that's what I weighed last year right before my vacation, haha).

Wanttobehome

• Stubble
« Reply #379 on: January 25, 2018, 02:36:51 AM »
I've started healthy eating hope to lose 14 lb
Jan 8th = 185
Jan 15th = 183     -2lb
Jan  25th = 180    -3lb

5 down
9 to go

Reduced sugary snacks
Reduced alcohol
Meal planning
More fresh foods and lean proteins
Relaxing more to reduce stress eating

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #380 on: January 25, 2018, 08:57:28 AM »
Joining for accountability. Going to finally lose the extra 10-15 pounds I’ve been carrying around for the past 10-15 years. I’d like to lose at least 10lbs by April when I plan to get my cholesterol checked.

My plan is:
- track calories in MFP (1200-1400 per day)
- walk for an hour every day
- Pilates, yoga, Zumba, and spin class each once a week.
- no alcohol until July 4 (doing this with my spouse)
- plant based diet
- no eating out unless invited out with friends until July 4

My spouse is also on board which makes this a lot easier this time.

Starting weight: 135lbs
Goal weight: 120-125lbs

1/8/2018:
Weight - 134.0 lbs
Average Calories - 1294
Diet - mostly plant based (1 dairy meal), no alcohol consumed
Exercise - minimal (some walking)

1/15/2018:
Weight - 134.7 lbs
Average calories - 1423
Diet - good during the week but went off the deep end on weekend. Ate, drank and was merry.
Exercise - a little more than last week (Pilates and yoga)

1/25/2018:
Weight - 133.0 lbs
I've been eating around 1200 calories most days but had a couple of days that were closer to 1500.  I've been reading about weight loss plateau's and I'm wondering if I need to eat at maintenance (around 1500) sometimes to prevent long plateaus.  For now I will incorporate one or two days of eating at maintenance per week and see how that goes. I've finally got my workout and walking routine down. And I've been sticking to my plant based diet and no alcohol.  Feeling pretty good.

ChipmunkSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #381 on: January 25, 2018, 08:01:21 PM »
I haven't been checking in lately because I was a bit discouraged by the weight not moving. I'm keeping my head down, doing the workouts (going strong on 25 consecutive days!) and being mindful of my eating habits, so I am not letting it stop me. I can definitely see an improvement as far as general well-being goes and not feeling bloated all the time. If only the scale could cooperate a bit more, ya know? Hopefully I'll be able to report a lower weight on Monday!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #382 on: January 26, 2018, 12:26:33 AM »
I haven't been checking in lately because I was a bit discouraged by the weight not moving. I'm keeping my head down, doing the workouts (going strong on 25 consecutive days!) and being mindful of my eating habits, so I am not letting it stop me. I can definitely see an improvement as far as general well-being goes and not feeling bloated all the time. If only the scale could cooperate a bit more, ya know? Hopefully I'll be able to report a lower weight on Monday!

I'm there too. Same weight, but pants are loose. Mostly avoiding crap food and eating mindfully, exercising is a bit random, but ongoing. Waiting for the scale to drop! Trying to remember that it shouldn't matter. :)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #383 on: January 26, 2018, 07:14:57 AM »
I forgot to weigh myself this morning again. I am pretty sure all is good though.  Eating has been good and weigh-ins earlier in the week have been on the lower side of late. Yesterday and today I am eating with my daughter who is recovering from dental surgery.  Except that I skipped the ice cream and ginger-ale - and stuck with the soup, tea and yogurt and applesauce.
Pants are fitting well.
I have also been finding opportunities to add some exercise into my life more.  Squats while brushing teeth, sit ups as I wake up - getting out of bed 9 almost times before the 10th attempt and actually getting up.  Carrying all the groceries at once into the house.  Not getting a cart and making do with two baskets.  Walking to the farmers market.  Small and doable and more calorie burning than my usual habit.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #384 on: January 26, 2018, 07:59:55 AM »
May I join?

I'm 51, female, mostly sedentary, and 150 pounds. Goal weight is 138 presently.

Since puberty, I've been fighting this battle, even when I was a lot more active. I'm the only one in my immediate (blood-relative) family who weighs under 200 pounds, and the only one who is thin at least part of the time. My weight has bounced between 135 (where I was for about 20 minutes) to over 180 when I had neck problems and couldn't move much. Most of the time I'm between 145 and 160.

I joined MyFitnessPal so I can log my food. But I find the discussion over there to be unfocused.

To help with discipline when I feel like giving up, I make bets with my lovely husband. If I don't reach a certain weight by a certain date, I have to do something I don't want to do. (No, not that, I like doing that.) In this case it's play board games, which I find annoying.

We do work out together in the mornings four days a week, and walk at least ten miles together a week. So I have a decent base level of fitness, but if I'm honest I spend most of my time not moving all that much.

I know it will be a slow process and require the discipline I lacked last fall when I ate all the Thanksgiving leftovers and so went from 145 to 153 in about eight weeks. Looking forward to the camaraderie here.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #385 on: January 26, 2018, 08:03:02 AM »

Weekly Weigh in:

December 30: 145
January 5:      144
January 12:    143.4
January 19:    143.8
January 26:    143.2

Slog Slog Slog.  I've been eating a lot of veggie noodles lately, just to have a new texture of veggie :) Zucchini noodles are gross (to me) but butternut and beet are pretty awesome.

Huel continues to be a good snack deterrent. I've been having a small smoothie with a single scoop of huel and some fresh spinach and a few chunks of frozen pineapple in the afternoons and it is filling me up.

I'm ready for longer, warmer days. It's going to be a long February and March.

Welcome new folks!!!

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #386 on: January 26, 2018, 08:12:46 AM »

Weekly Weigh in:

Slog Slog Slog.  I've been eating a lot of veggie noodles lately, just to have a new texture of veggie :) Zucchini noodles are gross (to me) but butternut and beet are pretty awesome.

Huel continues to be a good snack deterrent. I've been having a small smoothie with a single scoop of huel and some fresh spinach and a few chunks of frozen pineapple in the afternoons and it is filling me up.

Welcome new folks!!!

Congratulations for keeping things moving in the right direction!

Do you make beet noodles or buy them somewhere? Beets are yummy.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #387 on: January 26, 2018, 08:14:48 AM »

I'm there too. Same weight, but pants are loose. Mostly avoiding crap food and eating mindfully, exercising is a bit random, but ongoing. Waiting for the scale to drop! Trying to remember that it shouldn't matter. :)

If you can get your hands on a Fitbit scale, they're rather terrible in terms of accuracy with their promise of +/- 2 pounds, but one thing I like is that they give you a general body fat %. My weight has been stagnant too, but body fat has been pretty steady on the decline so again, just gonna stay the course :D.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #388 on: January 26, 2018, 08:34:29 AM »

Weekly Weigh in:

Welcome new folks!!!

Congratulations for keeping things moving in the right direction!

Do you make beet noodles or buy them somewhere? Beets are yummy.

Thanks!

I've been buying them at the grocery store and the brand is "Veggie Noodle Co". I've been eating them enough that I'm going to get myself a good spiralizer next month.

I've been sauteing the beet noodles then tossing them with goat cheese, chopped chicken and shredded apple - yummy!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #389 on: January 26, 2018, 09:03:46 AM »
Beet noodles sound amazing! Will definitely have to check that out.

As for me, I've worked out every day in January (minus one), and have made significantly better eating choices. I have noticed some sloppiness in the past week, as my snacks started to increase, and my fruit/vegetable intake shrank. I'm back to stronger focus.

I have more strength/toning, but still no major weight loss progress. I've lost 2 lbs since the first of the year. My goal was 3 for January, so I'll stay focused.

I have an international trip coming up (leave on Sunday) & that always throws me for a major loop. The jet lag makes it hard to work out, the plane travel alone means two pretty much full days of sitting still. .. it's rough.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #390 on: January 26, 2018, 11:40:52 PM »
I'd love to join too. I have baby fat to get rid of now that baby is five months old. I'm down 32 pounds from my highest of this year but that includes an 8 lb baby too, haha. I still need to lose 18 lbs for pre pregnancy weight and another 12 for my marriage wedding and another 14 for my ideal weight. I joined in 2017 and found we got pregnant. Hope to finish 2018 at my ideal weight. First goal is to get to pre pregnancy weight by end of March. Second goal is to hit wedding weight by June and to hit lowest weight by end of year (the hardest stretch which I hope to attack with established habits). Let's bring it on!

Like the idea of goals - here are our goals for Jan:
1) 5000 steps per day
2) 6 stairs per day
3) one meal of veggies and fruits only per day
Updating after two days:

I've lost two pounds - I'm sure it's more water weight than actual one but I'll take it :) I've cut out all carbs except for a tiny portion. Surprisingly it's not been that hard to switch. I've also noticed that I eat more sweets now (and ate some ice cream and sweets for new year). I usually hate sweets but developed a liking for them during my second pregnancy and am still holding on to it six months later. Time to kick the habit back to curb. My routine is crazy and I don't have much leeway into building in exercises. The only exercise I get is carrying a 17 lb baby. Has anyone lost weight only with diet changes? How important is exercise in a weight loss journey?
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll concentrate on food changes till I can add more exercise in. I especially loved the suggestion to incorporate exercise into play and surprisingly my baby is loving it! I'm now trying to find more ways to add in fun exercise into daily routine.

My weight is down 3 lbs (mostly water weight because low carbs). I don't track my food but try to eat healthy (less carbs, more veggies and fruits) but looking at some of your meals, I think I just eat a lot. I've gotten used to eating more when pregnant (yep, fell for the eating for two advice.... not that I needed lot of encouragement)  and my stomach expects more food. Need to slowly dial down the amount to a normal person's portions.

Does anyone forget you are trying to lose weight? I completely forgot and ate a few cookies. Later when I was checking how I did at end of day, I realized I ate those cookies :( how do I remember all the time?
I'm still losing weight daily (goes to show how much crap I was eating before) but it has slowed down. My eating is still not good enough (I eat a serving of carbs at every course (and a bit more at lunch) and I eat ice cream or sweets because it is at home). My nemesis is sweets and ice cream. I can't resist it when it is at home and I can't stop others at home buying it. To add to the problem, I forget I'm on a diet and eat them. I'm considering figuring what I should eat all day and not eat anything not on that list. Will give it a try for a few days to see if I can continue losing weight.
Still on the losing trend. I was expecting it to stop since my activity level hasn't increased much and my eating is still not perfect. I don't count calories or have a chance to weigh  food since I don't cook or shop (visiting in-laws for a few months). I'm trying to eat healthier (less carbs, more fruits vegetables and protein - egg, fish, chicken) and reduce sweets (take smaller portions, being selective in what I eat). My culture (Indian) shows love through food, especially sweets. So every visit (even when visiting parents every day) leads to more sweets and hurt egos if we don't eat the sweets. So far portion control has been the key. I can't believe how much crap I've been eating before for the weight to come off so easily now that I'm eating healthier.

This thread is so motivating and reminds me to make healthier choices with food. I find that I eat healthy when I remember and this thread is helping me remember. Thanks everyone!
Ok now the weight loss has stopped. Time to really get into cutting calories or burning them through exercise. I don't have an easy way to estimate calories or do exercise which makes it tricky. I'm planning to drink at least a glass of water before every meal and snack (and ideally before anytime food passes through my lips). I think I eat more than I think I'm eating. The first eight pounds came off easy. Now the real struggle starts. I still need to cut 12 pounds to reach my first goal (highest pre pregnancy weight) and 18 pounds to reach my second goal (my normal BMI weight). Hoping the water trick helps.

Please suggest other tricks that have helped in reducing food portions (basically tricking myself to eat less and eat healthier) or exercising more (moving more). I currently walk 7k steps a day and do 5-10 stairs.
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I especially love the eating fruits instead of sweets and using  shape wear ideas. I've also started concentrating on adding more protein to my diet (changed macros). My weight is still at standstill but it's at least not going up any more. I had one day (DH bday) where I had some cake but otherwise I'm starting to not be super tempted by sweets. I'm liking the progress even though the scales don't show it.... yet.

I'm also experimenting with eating only upto 80% of my stomach's capacity. Due to pregnancy eating, I fear my stomach has increased in size and I now need more food to feel satiated. I need to eat less to reduce it back to normal size. Will report back soon on its effects.

Thanks for the exercise tips. I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to exercise. So I'm starting with the walking videos and hope to increase from there.

Weight - still at 8 lbs loss from New year, no gains, no loss from last time.

Any app recommendations to log weight and get trending weight for a period?

I've started eating more frequently (breakfast, 11, 1, 4, 6 and 8) but lesser portions. This has helped me keep hunger at bay while tricking my stomach into eating less at every meal (and not worry too much if I don't eat to max since I know the next meal is just two hours away). I hope this reduces my stomach size and bring it back to normal (from pregnancy size). I'm also drinking more water than before.

Exercise is still not happening yet :( got a jump rope to see if I can make myself use it.

Managed to knock out three more pounds after hitting a plateau for a week or so in between. That brings up tally to 11 pounds lost since new year. Hope this is the start of a new losing streak.
Checking in here. Still at the 11 pound loss, inching towards 12 pounds. I think I've finally found a way to figure out how much food is right for my stomach. I've been experimenting with food portions and frequent small meals with each time being less than my palm keeps me sated while not overloading my stomach. I also like the feeling I get when I don't stuff myself. Now to remember it for all the hard times (party, buffet, mom-cooked delicious dishes). A pound more to my first half goal. So close!
Welcome everyone! Especially new moms :) I'm one too and my goal is to lose pregnancy weight and get to a healthy weight now that baby is seven months and starting on solids. I still breastfeed exclusively but no longer have the pressure to be the sole food provider.

Weight still in the decline. Down 13 pounds from Jan 1 and I've reached my first goal. Now to stay here and lose more to reach my second goal of prepregnancy weight which is 6 pounds lesser. My eating has slacked a bit this week and I've been eating cakes and sweets more than I like (to celebrate my first goal). Need to get back to careful monitoring. I guess my weight loss rate would reduce a lot once I reach my prepregnancy weight since that is my usual weight range. But I want to lose another 15 pounds from there to get to my comfortable weight. I've always been lackadaisical about weight loss once I reach a healthy BMI but this time I'm going to try and lose those last 15 (those are my freshman 15 and have been around 12 years now).

I've also started doing mini exercises after trying to do dedicated half an hour to an hour of exercise and failing miserably. So far it's going good. Will report back next week if I can sustain it.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #391 on: January 28, 2018, 10:58:22 AM »
I'm legit considering signing up for a 5:30 am crossfit class.  I usually get to work at 6, so I'd be about 40 minutes late, but that can be adjusted for by taking a short lunch.  I might be completely insane, but otherwise I end up pushing it later and later in the day, and half the time I end up not going. 

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #392 on: January 28, 2018, 12:31:29 PM »
I'm legit considering signing up for a 5:30 am crossfit class.  I usually get to work at 6, so I'd be about 40 minutes late, but that can be adjusted for by taking a short lunch.  I might be completely insane, but otherwise I end up pushing it later and later in the day, and half the time I end up not going.

Morning workouts are the best! It's so empowering for the rest of the day. 5.30 AM is an advanced level of early though.

They have quite a number of classes available, but unless I go at lunch (noon), I end up going to the 4:20 pm class.  Those ones are easy to push off, since I'm at work already and there's always something else to do or a question to answer or a paper to sign.  I'd only be getting up a little bit earlier - my current morning schedule is to roll out of bed at around 5:35, leave at 5:55, and get to work at 6 am, where I drink my work coffee and eat my overnight oats while reading email.  I'm mostly scared of the hardcore people who work out at 5:30 in the morning, lol.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #393 on: January 28, 2018, 12:34:36 PM »

Morning workouts are the best! It's so empowering for the rest of the day. 5.30 AM is an advanced level of early though.

They have quite a number of classes available, but unless I go at lunch (noon), I end up going to the 4:20 pm class.  Those ones are easy to push off, since I'm at work already and there's always something else to do or a question to answer or a paper to sign.  I'd only be getting up a little bit earlier - my current morning schedule is to roll out of bed at around 5:35, leave at 5:55, and get to work at 6 am, where I drink my work coffee and eat my overnight oats while reading email.  I'm mostly scared of the hardcore people who work out at 5:30 in the morning, lol.

Most of them are probably just like you - people who like to work out in the morning but have to start work early. Don't be scared of people you haven't even met yet!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #394 on: January 28, 2018, 12:39:02 PM »

Most of them are probably just like you - people who like to work out in the morning but have to start work early. Don't be scared of people you haven't even met yet!

You're probably right!  Thanks for the encouragement :)

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #395 on: January 28, 2018, 01:33:55 PM »
So, January was not the most succesfull month, i lost a total of 1 kg. 😅

Back to the studio now, school holiday are over, I am back to work. I hope to manage work stress better this year, I already said no to a project and asked for a more manageable workload. Waiting for the gym next to the office to have the february campain, with very cheap membership, I would pay approx the same as for just the swimmjng alone, so I am contemplating joining it for the classes. Having 2 different gym memberships is not mustachian, but I am desperate.

This week I already prepped my lunches  for 3 days (rice noodles and veggies w a spicy peanut sauce. I used a tbs of peanut butter for the dressing for 3 bowls, so I hope it is not too calorie heavy). I need the carbs at lunch or else I am ravenous by 4pm. I am also planning to go to the gym every morning before work, today I managed to get there by 5.15 am, so it is a good start.

basically, I am planning to cut out 500 calories every day, and see how the scale goes by the end of the week.

NO SNACKING BEFORE LUNCH.

So that's the plan for the week.

Being fat is depressing. And embarrassing. I don't buy into this loveyourbody movement as it is just not healthy.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #396 on: January 28, 2018, 04:47:51 PM »
Ok - I feel like there’s some misinformation getting posted here.  This thread is meant to be supportive, and these kind of statements may hurt and/or drive some folks away.

I don’t understand how “loveyourbody” can be unhealthy, and I disagree that obesity cannot be supported by a healthy lifestyle.  I’m not going to go look up supporting documents now (though that seems to be an SOP on the forum in general). 

These but feel like very judgemental statements to me, even if that’s not what was intended. I think there is plenty of hate and judgement out in society, especially directed to how women look (and men are judged too). 

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #397 on: January 29, 2018, 02:29:46 AM »
So, January was not the most successfull month, i lost a total of 1 kg. 😅

I wouldn't consider that as not successfull. I think 1 kg/month is perfect. I feel like a lot of people here are trying to loose weight really quickly, which is hard to sustain in the long run. If you can maintain 1 kg/month, you'll have lost 12 kg by the end of the year which is huge!

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #398 on: January 29, 2018, 05:26:37 AM »
Ok - I feel like there’s some misinformation getting posted here.  This thread is meant to be supportive, and these kind of statements may hurt and/or drive some folks away.

I don’t understand how “loveyourbody” can be unhealthy, and I disagree that obesity cannot be supported by a healthy lifestyle.  I’m not going to go look up supporting documents now (though that seems to be an SOP on the forum in general). 

These but feel like very judgemental statements to me, even if that’s not what was intended. I think there is plenty of hate and judgement out in society, especially directed to how women look (and men are judged too).

Thanks for saying this.  I know this thread is specifically about losing weight, but what I liked so much about the 2016 thread, and hope to continue in here, is the overall supportive nature.  It's important to remember that everyone's body is different.  Losing weight might be easy and natural for some people, but it certainly isn't for everyone.  Some people struggle mentally with it, some people have health conditions that affect weight gain, and there are plenty of people living healthy lifestyles that might still weigh more than they might like or than is "healthy".

ChipmunkSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #399 on: January 29, 2018, 06:28:02 AM »
I also find that if you go into this hating your body, there might never be a place where you will be able to say ''enough, I look good at this point''. There will always be something to be critical of, perfection isn't realistic.

In other news, weigh in today.
Jan 1 : 193.2 lb
Jan 8 : 187.8 lb
Jan 15 : 187.0 lb
Jan 29 : 185.2 lb
Not understanding how I went down today considering I did not exercise this weekend (went on a road trip to go wedding dress shopping!) and did not eat as well as usual (although still no dessert, did not finish my plates in restaurant which is a first for me), but I'll take it! Hopefully it doesn't bounce back up.