Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2018  (Read 240538 times)

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
Re: Losing Weight in 2018
« Reply #250 on: January 09, 2018, 05:28:29 AM »
I had a funny moment this morning - I've been super good with my calorie tracking and not going over, so was a little bummed when my weight was up half a pound since yesterday.  Logically, I know that's nothing to worry about, but it was still a little disappointed.  The funny part was what I said to myself right afterwards (out loud - living alone will do that):

"Just think of what Elaine (elaine amj) would tell you - just have to keep at it and you'll lose the weight." 

So, thank you Elaine and everyone else for all of your posts on here.  It's so nice to not feel like I'm doing this alone :)

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #251 on: January 09, 2018, 06:16:16 AM »
I also wanted to respond to some of the ongoing conversations...

There was some discussion of why this control is harder than budgeting...I think it's twofold. One is along the lines of "everyone has their demons"...besides money, one might struggle with alcohol/substances or controlling emotions/esp anger or forgetfulness/lateness...or on the flip side, excessive control tendencies that damages well being and relationships. Basically I see it as normal to struggle to manage/control at least one aspect of life.

Second, the "losing weight is like budgeting" approach neglects the fact that your body is an animal, evolved to adapt to its environment. If you cut its sustenance, you don't get to control how it responds...maybe it burns fat, or maybe it makes you cold and cranky and unfocused (or, all of the above) by turning down other metabolic functions.  Your body is actually trying to be very frugal, and you're trying to get it to waste its "savings"! How would you feel? In contrast, if you're trying to save more money, your bank account  never starts spending more by itself! (Or, if it does, you can contest it as fraud!)

Thanks galliver, this really resonates and helps me try to understand why I personally find money so much easier than food!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #252 on: January 09, 2018, 09:23:27 AM »
Second, the "losing weight is like budgeting" approach neglects the fact that your body is an animal, evolved to adapt to its environment. If you cut its sustenance, you don't get to control how it responds...maybe it burns fat, or maybe it makes you cold and cranky and unfocused (or, all of the above) by turning down other metabolic functions.  Your body is actually trying to be very frugal, and you're trying to get it to waste its "savings"! How would you feel?

This makes a LOT of sense. I often get angry with my body for its reactions to my cutting calories - like, "How dare you have needs, body - we are DOING THIS and the brain is in control, not you!" I often feel like I'm fighting biology, which you can't really fight with logic (other than white knuckling through the hunger pangs or going to bed early when you're simply out of energy, which is one thing I've been doing lately.)

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #253 on: January 09, 2018, 10:56:23 AM »
Well, I started the month at 165 and today I am 164.  And I am sure that lb is superficial.  Not much progress. One thing for sure, this is going to be hard. As I wrote on the healthy choices thread, this really takes dedication and looks like January will be my trial and error month. At least the first two weeks will be.

1/1  - 165
1/9 -  164

I need to regroup. One thing is for sure, I am an all or nothing person. I was doing so good with not snacking on the bad stuff and then that one thing sends me off the cliff.

I have been trying to lose 25 lbs for a number of years now. I have to find the right level that works for me.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #254 on: January 09, 2018, 10:57:37 AM »
Today was my first 10/10 day for the year. Not that any other day has been particularly bad, but have been more like 8/10 or 9/10 days.

Maybe yesterday was the worst day of the year, as I ate my first chocolate bar of the year.... but I did go for a run too, and the rest of my eating was on point so I a, not too worried.

Today I ate exactly what I should be eating. I hit the gym early this morning and did a solid weights workout, and then this evening I cycled for 50 mins with a friend after work. It wasn’t an overly taxing ride as we were cycling at a pace comfortable for conversation, but it beats lying on the sofa.

More days like today, and I’ll shed the 25-30kgs I am looking to lose before the year is out.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #255 on: January 09, 2018, 11:03:55 AM »
I've actually gotten to a place where I feel a lot of love and compassion for my body.  The extra weight I carry, and it's a lot, is a result of mental/emotional/psychological issues and my poor body has to carry the burden for all of that.  I'm an emotional eater and I've had to deal with a lot of difficult stuff in life and my coping mechanisms have been on a survival level.  Food has been one of those, and while not as destructive as some other choices like drugs and alcohol, there is still a price to be paid and my body is the one paying it.  So no, my body gets no anger or criticisms from me, just love, respect, gratitude and regret for making it carry such a large burden.

This year I'm devoting myself to making amends with my body and treating it with the kindness and consideration it deserves.  And that includes lessening this heavy burden that I'm forcing it to carry 24/7, everywhere we go.  It doesn't deserve this.  And it's time I take care of it.  And I have all of the resources I need to do so.  That's the best part.  How wonderful is that??!!

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #256 on: January 09, 2018, 11:23:12 AM »
I've actually gotten to a place where I feel a lot of love and compassion for my body.  The extra weight I carry, and it's a lot, is a result of mental/emotional/psychological issues and my poor body has to carry the burden for all of that.  I'm an emotional eater and I've had to deal with a lot of difficult stuff in life and my coping mechanisms have been on a survival level.  Food has been one of those, and while not as destructive as some other choices like drugs and alcohol, there is still a price to be paid and my body is the one paying it.  So no, my body gets no anger or criticisms from me, just love, respect, gratitude and regret for making it carry such a large burden.

This year I'm devoting myself to making amends with my body and treating it with the kindness and consideration it deserves.  And that includes lessening this heavy burden that I'm forcing it to carry 24/7, everywhere we go.  It doesn't deserve this.  And it's time I take care of it.  And I have all of the resources I need to do so.  That's the best part.  How wonderful is that??!!

Love this!

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #257 on: January 09, 2018, 11:31:43 AM »

Love this!

Me too!!!  Great post. I am an emotional eater too and can totally relate.  It is what makes losing weight and making healthy choices doubly hard for me.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #258 on: January 09, 2018, 11:35:25 AM »

<3 <3 <3

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #259 on: January 09, 2018, 12:29:51 PM »
Not doing so well at the moment.  We were out of town on vacation and honestly, I did a great job of getting in some exercising and not going crazy with holiday food.  Now we are back in town and the readjustment to the daily grind has been rough--and I've been choosing to deal with it by stress eating sugar/carbs/unhealthy fat.  NO MORE!

I just wrote out my planned meals for the rest of the week.  I have a little time to hit up the grocery store tomorrow so am going to restock on fresh veggies (we've been living off frozen since returning home, which is okay but not as satisfying as fresh, IMO).

Weight goal for the remainder of this week is to get rid of this post-holiday bloat weight and be back down to my current "normal" of 150 lbs.  I'd like to be down to 147 by end of January.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #260 on: January 09, 2018, 12:37:42 PM »
Good parts: Ate well yesterday, went for a morning swim + evening fitness. Today started off good with healthy breakfast & lunch too.

Bad parts: New year's party at work. Lots of snacks and drinks. Had a beer, some deep-fried snacks, but kinda tried to focus on the healthy ones with kale and quinoa and such. Oh and tiramisu. Too much. I love tiramisu. At least I got so full that I decided the snacks had been my dinner.

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #261 on: January 09, 2018, 02:47:09 PM »
Doing ok. Lost the 2 kg holiday weight.

snacking is getting much better. I ate a piece of chocolate at work mond and tuesday,  which was enough to get me through the morning. Actually, it was great- there were 2 lindor balls welcoming me (from the office fairy), and I ate 1 piece mid morning. Saved the other for tomorrow. And wasn't tempted to eat them all even though the past few days were about post vacation disaster management.  Reducing 1 to 0 is easier than 10 to 0. And I avoided the lollyshop like the plague.

also introduced a new type of breakfast. Tomato+cucumber+pepper + 2 tbs cottage cheese. I think I can do this 3 times a week.

We are doing a no sugar for a week challenge with my colleague next week. Also banned my (skinny) boss from eating his chips, burgers and sausage rolls in the office. He was kind enough to oblige.  Good to have supportive management 😎

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #262 on: January 09, 2018, 04:36:32 PM »
Hi, I am out of bed finally. Unfortunately, it wasn't the kind of thing that makes you lose your appetite. And somehow the constant drinking of water and tea just seemed to stretch my stomach out and scream for more. Worse yet, I had no interest in raw vegetables, or indeed brocoli, which I had just stocked up on, in any form.

But today has already been better.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #263 on: January 09, 2018, 08:11:41 PM »
Hi, I am out of bed finally. Unfortunately, it wasn't the kind of thing that makes you lose your appetite. And somehow the constant drinking of water and tea just seemed to stretch my stomach out and scream for more. Worse yet, I had no interest in raw vegetables, or indeed brocoli, which I had just stocked up on, in any form.

But today has already been better.

I like veg but not when I'm sick...especially fresh ones. I think some taste receptors get altered and they taste too acidic and watery (or just stuffy nose altering taste perception?). I do enjoy veggies that come in won-ton soup though (At different times/from different places that's included carrots, broccoli, napa cabbage, peas, zucchini, and mushrooms. And of course scallions.) (I give zero f*cks about frugality when I'm sick, I can't make the broth as well as they do, and also Chinese food is very cheap takeout, especially the soup.) Grilled cheese and tomato soup go over well, but I feel like that's a similar vegetable content to pizza ;) 

You're not alone! Good luck! Feel better!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #264 on: January 09, 2018, 10:14:27 PM »
I'd love to join too. I have baby fat to get rid of now that baby is five months old. I'm down 32 pounds from my highest of this year but that includes an 8 lb baby too, haha. I still need to lose 18 lbs for pre pregnancy weight and another 12 for my marriage wedding and another 14 for my ideal weight. I joined in 2017 and found we got pregnant. Hope to finish 2018 at my ideal weight. First goal is to get to pre pregnancy weight by end of March. Second goal is to hit wedding weight by June and to hit lowest weight by end of year (the hardest stretch which I hope to attack with established habits). Let's bring it on!

Like the idea of goals - here are our goals for Jan:
1) 5000 steps per day
2) 6 stairs per day
3) one meal of veggies and fruits only per day
Updating after two days:

I've lost two pounds - I'm sure it's more water weight than actual one but I'll take it :) I've cut out all carbs except for a tiny portion. Surprisingly it's not been that hard to switch. I've also noticed that I eat more sweets now (and ate some ice cream and sweets for new year). I usually hate sweets but developed a liking for them during my second pregnancy and am still holding on to it six months later. Time to kick the habit back to curb. My routine is crazy and I don't have much leeway into building in exercises. The only exercise I get is carrying a 17 lb baby. Has anyone lost weight only with diet changes? How important is exercise in a weight loss journey?
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll concentrate on food changes till I can add more exercise in. I especially loved the suggestion to incorporate exercise into play and surprisingly my baby is loving it! I'm now trying to find more ways to add in fun exercise into daily routine.

My weight is down 3 lbs (mostly water weight because low carbs). I don't track my food but try to eat healthy (less carbs, more veggies and fruits) but looking at some of your meals, I think I just eat a lot. I've gotten used to eating more when pregnant (yep, fell for the eating for two advice.... not that I needed lot of encouragement)  and my stomach expects more food. Need to slowly dial down the amount to a normal person's portions.

Does anyone forget you are trying to lose weight? I completely forgot and ate a few cookies. Later when I was checking how I did at end of day, I realized I ate those cookies :( how do I remember all the time?
I'm still losing weight daily (goes to show how much crap I was eating before) but it has slowed down. My eating is still not good enough (I eat a serving of carbs at every course (and a bit more at lunch) and I eat ice cream or sweets because it is at home). My nemesis is sweets and ice cream. I can't resist it when it is at home and I can't stop others at home buying it. To add to the problem, I forget I'm on a diet and eat them. I'm considering figuring what I should eat all day and not eat anything not on that list. Will give it a try for a few days to see if I can continue losing weight.
Still on the losing trend. I was expecting it to stop since my activity level hasn't increased much and my eating is still not perfect. I don't count calories or have a chance to weigh  food since I don't cook or shop (visiting in-laws for a few months). I'm trying to eat healthier (less carbs, more fruits vegetables and protein - egg, fish, chicken) and reduce sweets (take smaller portions, being selective in what I eat). My culture (Indian) shows love through food, especially sweets. So every visit (even when visiting parents every day) leads to more sweets and hurt egos if we don't eat the sweets. So far portion control has been the key. I can't believe how much crap I've been eating before for the weight to come off so easily now that I'm eating healthier.

This thread is so motivating and reminds me to make healthier choices with food. I find that I eat healthy when I remember and this thread is helping me remember. Thanks everyone!

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #265 on: January 10, 2018, 05:26:02 AM »
Wednesday weigh-in:

Down 3.4 lbs from last week! (re-started my food tracking January 1, first weigh-in was last Wednesday)  My starting weight was probably artificially high from the holidays, but it's still a nice start.  Many more lbs to go.

As for the more directly under my control accomplishments:

- 2 Jazzercise classes
- 6 days straight of meditation
- 7/7 days of full food tracking

Now just need to keep this up for the next 51 weeks or so :)

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #266 on: January 10, 2018, 06:00:31 AM »
Dec 4: 179.6 (35.3% fat) ... the moment where I said: This needs to stop.

Jan 1: 176.6 (35.0% fat)
Jan 8: 175.5 (34.7% fat)

January Goals (Week 1):
    Tracking in MFP (4/7 days)
    Active minutes (141/150 minutes)
    5,000 steps (2/7 days) ... with a few 4,500+ days in there

asosharp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #267 on: January 10, 2018, 08:07:25 AM »
Definitely want to lose weight this year. Unfortunately I have a knee injury and am still seeing the physio for it so my weight loss will probably be a lot slower than I'd like it to be.

I used a voucher access 28 days at the gym. I went almost every day but it was cut short by Christmas holidays and so on. I also tried to use the pool there but it was disgusting. I stopped the gym membership because ideally I'd like to be in the pool for some 'easy on the knee' exercises.

So my short term goal is to find another gym that I can join where I can do the exercises my physio has prescribed me and do it on a daily basis. I found a day voucher to a nearby gym I'm interested in so I plan to go there tomorrow to use it and see if I like the facilities. Hopefully the pool will actually be clean!

My long term goal for 2017 is for me knee to get back to normal. After that, I'd like to start going to fitness classes and resume my sports activities like dance. I am a bit wary about golf though since that's how my knee injury started!

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #268 on: January 10, 2018, 09:12:44 AM »
Checking in. I weigh every day, but I'm going to check in here on Mondays.

Jan 1 2018:  153.4 lb
Jan 8 2018:  150.7 lb

On Christmas eve, I was 146.9. Today, I'm at 149.1, so I'm still working through the holiday bloat. So far so good with lifting weights, yoga and walking.  I decided not to register for a dance class, so I'll have to find a different fun activity. I've registered for MFP and will start tracking carbs and calories today.

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #269 on: January 10, 2018, 09:18:34 AM »
Finished Day 2 of low-carb and came in at 30 carbs for both days and I'm shocked at how much higher carbs cabbage is than romaine.  3 cups each = 15 for cabbage and 3 for romaine.  Wow.  I really like cabbage and find it so much more versatile: it's great sauteed with evoo, added to salads for crunch, sprinkled into soup, etc... But if I keep it there's no way I'm going to make it down to 20 carbs a day without feeling deprived or hungry.

I'll pick up a kitchen scale next week, maybe if I weigh my food I'll be able to gain some wiggle room.

I am pretty certain I will never put myself on a diet where I am worried that eating cabbage will hinder my weight loss. Seems intense.

You’d have to eat 8kgs of cabbage for 2,000 cals. That’s a hellava lot of cabbage.

Or to put it another way, to lose 1 kg you need to have a calorie deficit of 7,700 cals or remove more than 30kgs (66lbs) of cabbage from your diet assuming a kilo of cabbage is 250cals.

It sounds worse than it is.  A keto diet relies on a carb-deficit in order to work.  So for the last couple of days I've been eating eggs, sausage, cheddar cheese, salami, lots of cabbage, pork & hominy soup, olives, tea with heavy cream and splenda, and still being withing my calorie budget of 1780 set by MFP for 2 lbs a week weight loss.  And I haven't felt deprived or hungry at all.  Since most foods have carbs, it's just a matter of picking the foods that give you the best bang for your buck.

If I spend my carb budget on cabbage, that means I have to cut out all the carbs in the rest of my food, which is difficult.  Instead, I can just choose to spend my carb budget on less carby veggies like bok choy, romaine, mushrooms, peppers, escarole, endive, jicama, etc (there's a long list of low-carb veggies, these are just the ones I like best). 

Again, this is for the 20 carb limit to get into ketosis.  Later on I might add in more carbs if I find that I can still stay in keto.  But for now I'm working hard to get to the 20 carb limit so I'm happy to make the subs now that I'm aware of the cabbage carbiness.  I'll be quite happy with the other veggies, I just didn't know it made such a difference.

You're counting total carbs on cabbage (5g/cup) which is the wrong measurement.  You should count net carbs (carbs minus fiber), since the fiber is not converted to glucose.  MFP shows cabbage at 5g total carbs with 2g fiber per cup, so your three cup example would actually be 9g instead of 15g.  Still 45% towards your daily goal obviously, but significantly different than 75% towards your daily goal.

I'm using MFP to log but I don't see the breakdown for fiber and net carbs.  Is that part of the premium version?

I'm confused about the focus on cabbage. Hominy has a lot of carbs (14g carb (11.5 net)/100g) compared to cabbage 6g carbs (3.5g net)/100g). I'd probably give up hominy over cabbage.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #270 on: January 10, 2018, 11:36:30 AM »
Finished Day 2 of low-carb and came in at 30 carbs for both days and I'm shocked at how much higher carbs cabbage is than romaine.  3 cups each = 15 for cabbage and 3 for romaine.  Wow.  I really like cabbage and find it so much more versatile: it's great sauteed with evoo, added to salads for crunch, sprinkled into soup, etc... But if I keep it there's no way I'm going to make it down to 20 carbs a day without feeling deprived or hungry.

I'll pick up a kitchen scale next week, maybe if I weigh my food I'll be able to gain some wiggle room.

I am pretty certain I will never put myself on a diet where I am worried that eating cabbage will hinder my weight loss. Seems intense.

You’d have to eat 8kgs of cabbage for 2,000 cals. That’s a hellava lot of cabbage.

Or to put it another way, to lose 1 kg you need to have a calorie deficit of 7,700 cals or remove more than 30kgs (66lbs) of cabbage from your diet assuming a kilo of cabbage is 250cals.

It sounds worse than it is.  A keto diet relies on a carb-deficit in order to work.  So for the last couple of days I've been eating eggs, sausage, cheddar cheese, salami, lots of cabbage, pork & hominy soup, olives, tea with heavy cream and splenda, and still being withing my calorie budget of 1780 set by MFP for 2 lbs a week weight loss.  And I haven't felt deprived or hungry at all.  Since most foods have carbs, it's just a matter of picking the foods that give you the best bang for your buck.

If I spend my carb budget on cabbage, that means I have to cut out all the carbs in the rest of my food, which is difficult.  Instead, I can just choose to spend my carb budget on less carby veggies like bok choy, romaine, mushrooms, peppers, escarole, endive, jicama, etc (there's a long list of low-carb veggies, these are just the ones I like best). 

Again, this is for the 20 carb limit to get into ketosis.  Later on I might add in more carbs if I find that I can still stay in keto.  But for now I'm working hard to get to the 20 carb limit so I'm happy to make the subs now that I'm aware of the cabbage carbiness.  I'll be quite happy with the other veggies, I just didn't know it made such a difference.

You're counting total carbs on cabbage (5g/cup) which is the wrong measurement.  You should count net carbs (carbs minus fiber), since the fiber is not converted to glucose.  MFP shows cabbage at 5g total carbs with 2g fiber per cup, so your three cup example would actually be 9g instead of 15g.  Still 45% towards your daily goal obviously, but significantly different than 75% towards your daily goal.

I'm using MFP to log but I don't see the breakdown for fiber and net carbs.  Is that part of the premium version?

I'm confused about the focus on cabbage. Hominy has a lot of carbs (14g carb (11.5 net)/100g) compared to cabbage 6g carbs (3.5g net)/100g). I'd probably give up hominy over cabbage.

Yes, you're right about hominy being high carb.  I'm not eating that anymore.  The pork and hominy stew is a favorite dish that had already been cooked and I was just finishing up and the hominy amount was minimal and I knew that the hominy was high carb all along.  I was just really surprised at the high carb count of cabbage compared to romaine - I had assumed they were equal.  When I realized it wasn't, it led me to change up my veggies and include a wider variety of veggies that are either lower carb, like romaine and mushrooms, or more filling and nutritious, like broccoli. 

In that sense, I think MFP was doing what it's supposed to: presenting information that we might not be aware of that can lead to positive changes. 

I don't think cabbage is bad!  I could probably eat a ton of cabbage and still lose weight.  But if there are better choices available, why not take them?  I don't feel deprived eating less cabbage.  In fact, I feel the opposite.  But I do regret posting about it!  :)  I've never spent this much time talking about cabbage in my life!

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #271 on: January 10, 2018, 11:41:35 AM »
OK, got it.   I'm doing something similar - finishing up already prepared food with chickpeas - but when I'm done, I'd like to join your keto challenge.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #272 on: January 10, 2018, 11:52:36 AM »
OK, got it.   I'm doing something similar - finishing up already prepared food with chickpeas - but when I'm done, I'd like to join your keto challenge.

It took me about 4 days to finally have a low-carb day that would qualify for keto.  You don't have to wait until you finish all your chickpeas!  Join now.  :) 

I wanted to have an outlet to post about making the switch but it didn't happen.  I tried to restart a low-carb thread (no takers),  I started the keto thread (no takers till today), so I made do with logging on MFP.  But I do think having a place to share is very helpful. 

And it looks like you are making great progress already!  Congratulations.  I haven't weighed since starting the keto because I'm also on my period so I'm learning to practice delayed gratification.  :)

MrsW17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #273 on: January 10, 2018, 12:41:11 PM »
Oh, I’m new but I would love to contribute to this conversation!!

My husband and I joined a boxing gym in February 2017, but canceled our memberships to save for our wedding and honeymoon in the summer. They offered us a great deal to come back (basically buy six months, get six months free) in December, so we rejoined and we’re SO happy to be back! It isn’t cheap, but our health is a top priority, so we’re happy to spend the money on it — especially since we got it for such a great price!

We actually do Whole30 every January to reset our bodies in the new year, especially after the crazy holiday season in America where everyone drowns in sugar. We’re on day 10, and while I can’t speak to weight loss as far as pounds are concerned — since neither of us weighed ourselves — I can say that I feel INCREDIBLE compared to how I felt at the end of December.

I had a pair of lounge pants — lounge pants! — that were too snug in November and December, so I stuffed them at the bottom of my drawer because it made me irritable to know I couldn’t happily lounge in them. I slipped them on two days ago and they feel normal again. My skin is clearer, which is lovely, and I don’t get tired in the afternoons anymore.

I think, when we did our life insurance physicals, I was at 135 — which is the most I’ve ever weighed. I’ve felt the most comfortable with my body when I was around 120. Granted, that was before I started working out so much. So I’m focusing less on the scale and more on how my clothes fit and how my stomach looks. I’m definitely not in a position where I’d happily dance around in a swimsuit, but, I’m getting there.

I’d love to feel comfortable in a swimsuit by April, so when we start traveling, I can feel my absolute best.

I’m thinking I’ll probably stick to Whole30 at least 80% of the time moving forward, since we’ve finally found some recipes we LOVE and enjoy eating whether we’re on Whole30 or not. I think our biggest shift in eating after we wrap this up on January 30 will be adding homemade bread back in (my husband loves to bake) and red wine (love). I’d love to be able to eat cheese, too, but it makes me feel horrible.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #274 on: January 10, 2018, 01:08:25 PM »

And since you are veggie - here is an awesome filling cold weather/healthy recipe:
http://heatheratwood.com/blog/tag/lentil-and-grain-chili-with-cucumber-raita/

I made this the other day and it's very good - and filling! I made a few modifications: had no bulgur or barley so used brown rice. Had no chickpeas so used white beans. Used canned chipotle in adobo sauce instead of fresh chipotles and I think the smokiness really added a lot to the dish. Topped with a bit of greek yogurt but didn't have any cucumber. Yum!

My constant hanger vanished overnight the day that temperatures went into the double digits (ABOVE zero, haha.) Coincidence, or was my hanger due to the miserable cold? Unsure. At any rate, I'm having a lot less trouble staying within my calories now. We're headed for single digits again this weekend. So I guess that'll be a good test.

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #275 on: January 10, 2018, 01:15:57 PM »
I have a pretty bad track record of keeping up with this thread, but I'll join back in!

Last year was a success of sorts for me. It's probably the first year in 5 or 6 that I haven't gained weight. Well, in the start of the year I did, going from high 240s to mid 250s. Then at lent I cut all wheat and sugar (as in sugarcane, with very limited maple syrup and honey allowed, and fruit a non-issue), with the predictable effect that I lost 25 pounds. I proceeded to hover upward from 230 all around the 230s for the rest of the year. And looking back, I even revisited the 240s... yikes. Anyway, I was at 233.8 lb this morning at the end of an unhealthy 'weekend'. Unfortunately I made the critical error of allowing my biggest hobby in the past year to become baking... hmm.

Considering that I'm moving in a couple months, my plan is to not buy any more baking ingredients until after I've moved, as well as not until I'm below 210 lb. I think I have about 10-11 lb. total flour between AP, whole wheat, and bread, so that gives me a little to play with, but 5 lb. per month is certainly less than normal (600g per week is my absolute minimum because that's my weekly loaf of bread). I suppose I also have some rye... Anyway, just trust me when I say that this is an improvement.

So I'll cut all non-bread baking except a couple of times when I have company coming in the next couple months. I don't buy prepared snacks/desserts at the store, and I'll continue that. I'll stop accepting treats from coworkers. And as to exercise, I'll keep running 2-3x weekly, swimming once each week, and doing pull-ups and pushups each day. Between those things, I should be pretty good. Hopefully with all that, I'll be below 220 by the time I'm moving, which will be good skiing shape as I pass through the Rockies on my way across the country.

Here's a chart of my weight, as moving 5-day average, since July. I'm a perfect American stereotype with those holiday drop-then-rises.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #276 on: January 10, 2018, 03:13:56 PM »
I only dropped half a pound the first week, but 2 days later I'm down 2 pounds! I was wondering why I felt more hungry than usual for the last couple days. I guess now I know why.

The HIIT things seems to be working out well so far. I had to modify one workout due to neck strain. I have an easily angered neck and I've been trying to take care of it! But I'm curious how next week will go, since I have a really cool opportunity which will involve winter camping in the north (59 degrees N). I can't see myself doing any exercise beyond what it will take for survival.... which may be a lot!

Pounds to lose
Jan 1  - 40.2
Jan 8 - 39.6

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #277 on: January 11, 2018, 04:43:37 AM »
I'd love to join too. I have baby fat to get rid of now that baby is five months old. I'm down 32 pounds from my highest of this year but that includes an 8 lb baby too, haha. I still need to lose 18 lbs for pre pregnancy weight and another 12 for my marriage wedding and another 14 for my ideal weight. I joined in 2017 and found we got pregnant. Hope to finish 2018 at my ideal weight. First goal is to get to pre pregnancy weight by end of March. Second goal is to hit wedding weight by June and to hit lowest weight by end of year (the hardest stretch which I hope to attack with established habits). Let's bring it on!

1) 5000 steps per day
2) 6 stairs per day
Updating after two days:

I've lost two pounds - I'm sure it's more water weight than actual one but I'll take it :) I've cut out all carbs except for a tiny portion. Surprisingly it's not been that hard to switch. I've also noticed that I eat more sweets now (and ate some ice cream and sweets for new year). I usually hate sweets but developed a liking for them during my second pregnancy and am still holding on to it six months later. Time to kick the habit back to curb. My routine is crazy and I don't have much leeway into building in exercises. The only exercise I get is carrying a 17 lb baby. Has anyone lost weight only with diet changes? How important is exercise in a weight loss journey?
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll concentrate on food changes till I can add more exercise in. I especially loved the suggestion to incorporate exercise into play and surprisingly my baby is loving it! I'm now trying to find more ways to add in fun exercise into daily routine.

My weight is down 3 lbs (mostly water weight because low carbs). I don't track my food but try to eat healthy (less carbs, more veggies and fruits) but looking at some of your meals, I think I just eat a lot. I've gotten used to eating more when pregnant (yep, fell for the eating for two advice.... not that I needed lot of encouragement)  and my stomach expects more food. Need to slowly dial down the amount to a normal person's portions.

Does anyone forget you are trying to lose weight? I completely forgot and ate a few cookies. Later when I was checking how I did at end of day, I realized I ate those cookies :( how do I remember all the time?
I'm still losing weight daily (goes to show how much crap I was eating before) but it has slowed down. My eating is still not good enough (I eat a serving of carbs at every course (and a bit more at lunch) and I eat ice cream or sweets because it is at home). My nemesis is sweets and ice cream. I can't resist it when it is at home and I can't stop others at home buying it. To add to the problem, I forget I'm on a diet and eat them. I'm considering figuring what I should eat all day and not eat anything not on that list. Will give it a try for a few days to see if I can continue losing weight.
Still on the losing trend. I was expecting it to stop since my activity level hasn't increased much and my eating is still not perfect. I don't count calories or have a chance to weigh  food since I don't cook or shop (visiting in-laws for a few months). I'm trying to eat healthier (less carbs, more fruits vegetables and protein - egg, fish, chicken) and reduce sweets (take smaller portions, being selective in what I eat). My culture (Indian) shows love through food, especially sweets. So every visit (even when visiting parents every day) leads to more sweets and hurt egos if we don't eat the sweets. So far portion control has been the key. I can't believe how much crap I've been eating before for the weight to come off so easily now that I'm eating healthier.

This thread is so motivating and reminds me to make healthier choices with food. I find that I eat healthy when I remember and this thread is helping me remember. Thanks everyone!
Ok now the weight loss has stopped. Time to really get into cutting calories or burning them through exercise. I don't have an easy way to estimate calories or do exercise which makes it tricky. I'm planning to drink at least a glass of water before every meal and snack (and ideally before anytime food passes through my lips). I think I eat more than I think I'm eating. The first eight pounds came off easy. Now the real struggle starts. I still need to cut 12 pounds to reach my first goal (highest pre pregnancy weight) and 18 pounds to reach my second goal (my normal BMI weight). Hoping the water trick helps.

Please suggest other tricks that have helped in reducing food portions (basically tricking myself to eat less and eat healthier) or exercising more (moving more). I currently walk 7k steps a day and do 5-10 stairs.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 04:58:01 AM by firelight »

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #278 on: January 11, 2018, 07:17:21 AM »

1) 5000 steps per day
2) 6 stairs per day
Updating after two days:

Ok now the weight loss has stopped. Time to really get into cutting calories or burning them through exercise. I don't have an easy way to estimate calories or do exercise which makes it tricky. I'm planning to drink at least a glass of water before every meal and snack (and ideally before anytime food passes through my lips). I think I eat more than I think I'm eating. The first eight pounds came off easy. Now the real struggle starts. I still need to cut 12 pounds to reach my first goal (highest pre pregnancy weight) and 18 pounds to reach my second goal (my normal BMI weight). Hoping the water trick helps.

Please suggest other tricks that have helped in reducing food portions (basically tricking myself to eat less and eat healthier) or exercising more (moving more). I currently walk 7k steps a day and do 5-10 stairs.

Maybe try substituting sweets with fruits.  For example if you are about to reach for a some chocolate, eat an entire apple first.  Chances are after you finish the apple you won't be craving the sweets any more.  Over time it will become a more automatic habit rather than a forceful/willpower choice.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #279 on: January 11, 2018, 07:24:02 AM »
Tricks to eat less:
Eat more slowly
Put your food on a smaller plate (portions look bigger)

Lots of body weight exercises you can do with no equipment:
Lunges
Jumping jacks
Push- ups (with modifications as you build strength)
Squats
Wall squat (static hold)
Planks
Crunches / sit-ups

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #280 on: January 11, 2018, 08:31:36 AM »
@firelight The 7 Minute Workout app is a quick routine that can be done with just your bodyweight and a chair.

ChipmunkSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #281 on: January 11, 2018, 11:49:04 AM »
Exercise with minimal equipment : You can find videos online of 30-Day Shred by Jillian Michaels. There are 3 workouts (Level 1-3) which run about 25 min each. It's a combo of cardio, weights, abs. You have 3 x 6 min of active exercises + warm-up + cool-down. I find it goes by pretty quickly and you can easily find them free online. All you need is a yoga mat and some dumbbells, although a towel and heavy jugs of water could do the job.
I believe Amazon also sells the online video for 2$ each. Might not suit you if you have knee or back problems though, given the amount of jumping jacks, squats, lunges, etc.

Eating less : I try to front-load my plate with veggies, adding the meat/carbs in last. This allows me to get filled up on fiber and vitamins, and by the time I get to the meat/carbs, I am less hungry, which means I take more time to eat my meal. Also, drinking lots of water! We can sometimes mistake thirst for hunger. If it's a craving, try telling yourself that you will take some in 10 minutes. Most of the time this is enough to make the craving pass.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #282 on: January 12, 2018, 07:08:19 AM »
My weight has been fluctuating by about 2 lbs per day. Yesterday I was 10.8 lbs above goal (a gain from previous week) and today I was 8.2 lbs above goal (a new low). So I think I am really somewhere in between there. I blasted my running goal yesterday though!!! Now to add some faster intervals.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #283 on: January 12, 2018, 07:19:21 AM »
I jumped on the scale this morning with a bit of trepidation.  Yesterday was a travel day where I get out of the house by 7am, and take a commuter train to the big city for a consulting gig that I regret every evening after I am completely spent.  It is a minefield of poor eating choices at Yonge and Bloor at lunch and Union Station at 5pm.  I work intensely in an open office with no special place set aside so I feel like I am camping all day.  (And trying to be the expert at what feels like a six hour meeting essentially).  I can't even read on the train home - I am too tired. 
So this morning was absolutely delighted to see the scale needle read 133.  Lowest reading in months.  All psyched to hold it there at the minimum or possibly go lower still.

I have decided that BMI is a crock.  My BMI is normal.  But my tummy is pretty plump - in fact I don't really have a waist - except that I do because my thighs are a little plump too!  Do you all think that the BMI is assuming at whole bunch more muscle than I have so there is room for the belly fat in the weight?

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #284 on: January 12, 2018, 07:29:55 AM »
What helps me with portion control of sweets is buying expensive Belgian pralines. They were 50% off at the grocery store last week, so I bought two boxes. First of all this chocolate is much nicer than regular bars of chocolate, but I have the natural habit to only eat one piece of something at a time. One bar of chocolate ( :D ) or one praline. One praline after dinner feels like a good reward for a day of healthy eating.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #285 on: January 12, 2018, 07:32:20 AM »
I jumped on the scale this morning with a bit of trepidation.  Yesterday was a travel day where I get out of the house by 7am, and take a commuter train to the big city for a consulting gig that I regret every evening after I am completely spent.  It is a minefield of poor eating choices at Yonge and Bloor at lunch and Union Station at 5pm.  I work intensely in an open office with no special place set aside so I feel like I am camping all day.  (And trying to be the expert at what feels like a six hour meeting essentially).  I can't even read on the train home - I am too tired. 
So this morning was absolutely delighted to see the scale needle read 133.  Lowest reading in months.  All psyched to hold it there at the minimum or possibly go lower still.

I have decided that BMI is a crock.  My BMI is normal.  But my tummy is pretty plump - in fact I don't really have a waist - except that I do because my thighs are a little plump too!  Do you all think that the BMI is assuming at whole bunch more muscle than I have so there is room for the belly fat in the weight?

While I don't consider BMI a crock, I also don't consider it the gold standard.  I use BMI as simply another tool, like scales, tape measures, how I feel, how my clothes fit, etc.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #286 on: January 12, 2018, 07:32:43 AM »
BMI is already known to be a poor metric, but it’s an easy metric.  It’s just a weight and height ratio.

Many pro / elite athletes have high BMIs because they have high muscle content.  But that’s not an issue for most of us.

Another metric that can be used is waist:hip (waist circumference/hip circumference), with less than 0.8 being an indicator of normal weight for women (less than 0.9 for mean).  No underweight indicator level.  This is also tied to certain health risks associated with fat accumulation in your midsection.

ETA: But, maybe an issue here is you have a NORMAL BMI. it feels like you are looking for reasons to still be unhappy or hate your body.  I don’t see that mindset as a pathway to happiness.  While you cannot spot reduce per se, you can use exercise to tone and strengthen underlying muscle, which may affect your profile and measurements.  And there are cosmetic medical procedures....
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:38:23 AM by G-dog »

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #287 on: January 12, 2018, 07:52:41 AM »

firelight - try playing with your macros a bit.

For instance, I tend to gravitate towards carbs for snacks when I'm not paying attention and carbs do not keep me full. When I'm not focused I will eat about 60% carb, 20% fat and 20% protein.  But when I need to buckle down and get back to goal I focus on upping my protein - Then I try to eat 40% carb, 30% protein, and 30% fat and I feel less hungry and find weight loss easier.

Try playing with your carb/fat/protein rations to make you feel fuller. Different ratios work for different people.

If you find you are looking for high protein snacks with low cals, try some of high protein yogurts (I like Siggi's Skyr and Greek Whips for 100 cals and high protein).

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:00:43 AM by StarBright »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #288 on: January 12, 2018, 07:59:01 AM »
Updates
Goals for 2018:
-Lose 20 lbs - I lost 2 lbs sort of right away, but this has stopped. I'm okay with this, as I know I'm working out every day & focusing on good food choices.
-Eat more fruit & veggies - Yes! I'm averaging 6/day, and my previous average was around 3.5. I'm also forming my meals primarily around fruit & veggies, and greatly reducing carbs. Trying hard not to snack on empty carbs, which is going well.
-Run a half marathon - no progress has been made. I got bronchitis right before the holidays, and have been focused on strength training, with lighter cardio. However, I'm giving myself the "all clear" to start running again.

For January, I also wanted to do a full round of 21 Day Fix, and have completed 11/11. So, on track.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #289 on: January 12, 2018, 08:02:21 AM »

December 30: 145
January 5:      144
January 12:    143.4

And now we reach my constant standstill. 3.4 pounds within goal and I never actually hit my goal weight. My life has been perpetual weight loss for the last several years :) But the good great news is that my holiday weight is essentially gone and I am in what I consider to be my acceptable range (140-143).

If I can hang to the low 140s through spring maybe I can finally attain 140 in the summer! Hope Springs Eternal!

Also I think I'm now the age where constant vigilance is required (almost 37) which is sort of a bummer but better to stay on top of it now.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #290 on: January 12, 2018, 08:12:35 AM »

And now we reach my constant standstill. 3.4 pounds within goal and I never actually hit my goal weight. My life has been perpetual weight loss for the last several years :) But the good great news is that my holiday weight is essentially gone and I am in what I consider to be my acceptable range (140-143).

If I can hang to the low 140s through spring maybe I can finally attain 140 in the summer! Hope Springs Eternal!

Also I think I'm now the age where constant vigilance is required (almost 37) which is sort of a bummer but better to stay on top of it now.

Oh, yes. Once I hit 40, it was pretty much impossible to drop a few pounds in a week through cutting back calories. That was more likely something I could accomplish over the course of a month. SO much vigilance required.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #291 on: January 12, 2018, 09:44:18 AM »

Yep.  At 41 it is much harder to drop those few extra pounds.  Like you my body's natural weight is 140-143lbs.  I've only started to break past that by doing Whole30.  My plan to blast even further is to transform from a cardio queen to weight lifting beast. 

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #292 on: January 12, 2018, 11:46:33 AM »
So, my pre-holiday low was 182.9, which I  might have also hit a few days in May before I got stressed out and stopped counting. It ticked up to 184.5 before departure (happens), and then...holidays and family :)

I was 183.6 this morning (and I'm still excited to see anything &lt;185!) I've been eating around 1200 without really being hungry. I didn't/don't expect that to last! Filling, low-cal veggie soup definitely helped though! Dare I hope that in 3 weeks I can break 180? Haven't been there in 3 years!

Got to the gym yesterday, ran 2 mi/24 min and did some shoulder exercises...it's more to maintain emotional stability and general health/fitness, but I've been told exercise helps activate my metabolism generally, so...seems relevant.  :D

A possible tip for @firelight: one thing that I think discouraged me from too many seconds at holiday dinners was that I wore shapewear...the abdominal pressure seemed to simulate fullness. Not sure if it can work for you!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #293 on: January 12, 2018, 11:56:08 AM »

BMI is a start, but it's definitely possible to be "skinny fat", where you are at a "normal" weight but still have a high body fat percentage.  This is my problem--my BMI is totally fine and smack in the middle of the normal range but I see quite a bit of jiggle that I'd like to banish!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #294 on: January 12, 2018, 03:36:27 PM »
Height: 71"

Weight history prior to this:
06/2008: ~175lb
11/2008: ~160lb (thanks, mono)
12/2009: ~195lb (stress eating + college food. yay)
12/2011: ~210lb (college graduation)
12/2016: ~230lb (my peak)
12/2017: 209lb

1/8/2018: 207lb
1/12/2018: 206lb

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #295 on: January 12, 2018, 06:08:54 PM »
Week 1 of low-carb:  3.5 lbs down.  Since I had my period this week and I'm a 50 yo woman, I declare this a big success!

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #296 on: January 12, 2018, 11:08:57 PM »
Week 1 of low-carb:  3.5 lbs down.  Since I had my period this week and I'm a 50 yo woman, I declare this a big success!
Go you!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #297 on: January 14, 2018, 04:31:29 AM »
Time for a Sunday night weigh in.

Starting weight: 120.7kg
Last week's weight: 119.9kg
Current weight: 121.3kg

Wait, what happened here? I was doing really well until Friday and had lost quite a bit (almost 1kg worth), but had a lot of beers on Saturday and ate a bit of fast food whilst at the cricket on the Sunday (although I wasn't as bad as I would have been previously, I skipped the chips, and had a chicken salad for lunch).

I'm guessing there's quite a bit of water weight there that will go during the week. Let's see by next Sunday. :)

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #298 on: January 14, 2018, 05:03:07 AM »
Time for a Sunday night weigh in.

Starting weight: 120.7kg
Last week's weight: 119.9kg
Current weight: 121.3kg

Wait, what happened here? I was doing really well until Friday and had lost quite a bit (almost 1kg worth), but had a lot of beers on Saturday and ate a bit of fast food whilst at the cricket on the Sunday (although I wasn't as bad as I would have been previously, I skipped the chips, and had a chicken salad for lunch).

I'm guessing there's quite a bit of water weight there that will go during the week. Let's see by next Sunday. :)

Lol, I also fell off the wagon with a thud on the weekend.

We went to a wine tasting event which evolved into a massive all night bender. The only good thing was that I really didn’t have much appetite yesterday with the hangover. I am not particularly happy with my lack of self control, but it is just one night amongst 2 weeks of exemplary dieting and exercising. I won’t write of the year yet. Back on the plan. It’s a long road ahead.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #299 on: January 14, 2018, 07:26:14 AM »
Week 1 was not bad.

I'm down ~ 2 lbs, which will hopefully stick as a jump-start, but that rate will DEFINITELY not continue.  I think my biggest help is that I brush my teeth with our toddler before he goes to bed at 7:30, and I've decided not to eat after that, so no more snacking after dinner.

Goals
1) Crossfit 3 times, one long walk or a hike
2) Track on MyFitnessPal
3) Don't snack at work
4) Eat more veggies
5) Meal plan

Actual
1) Crossfit 1 time, one hike - I got so sore from Crossfit on Monday (after 3 weeks away) that I couldn't face another workout last week, lol.  We did a nice 3.5 mile/2000 ft elevation gain hike on Saturday, and that felt awesome.
2) MFP - tracked all last week, and it does make a difference when I'm thinking about it
3) Avoided desk snacks, ate snacks at our weekly meeting.  We have a meeting every week, though, so I plan a smaller lunch so I have room for snacks at 2 pm
4) More veggies - somewhat successful?  Salad for dinner one night, roast veggies another
5) Meal plan - went ok, except for one night when I was so so tired we got Chinese instead :(  I just got Spring Rolls, because I wasn't hungry, but we still spent too much money on it.  DH always wants dumplings and cheese rangoons.  They're delicious, but not always worth the money to me.

Plan - continue to track on MFP, go to Crossfit at least twice?  I have meals planned and groceries purchased for dinner tonight and Monday which both involve lots of vegetables, and I'm determined to continue to avoid snacking at work (except for our meeting).