Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2018  (Read 241838 times)

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Losing Weight in 2018
« Reply #200 on: January 05, 2018, 10:51:01 AM »
Thanks everyone! I did estimate out eating my normal dinner, dessert, and 5 drinks, and it clocked in at 2000 calories for the day, so not terrible.  Think I'll just go for it!

Also, never heard of La Croix Curate.  Will look for this!

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #201 on: January 05, 2018, 10:57:40 AM »
The thing I'm fighting right now are the sub-zero temps. When I'm cold, I'm hungry and a salad and a smoothie aren't cutting it right now. My daily walk is down to 20 minutes because of the temps.

I made a giant pot of sweet potato soup this week but it is not keeping me full. I'll switch to stock (or bone broth if I want to sound hip) this weekend. Animal fats totally keep me warmer and fuller.

I have the exact same problem and was actually just coming here to ask if anyone's having a hard time with hunger because of the extreme cold. I certainly am. This morning my commute was awful (thanks, random person, who chose this morning's rush to commit suicide on the train tracks; I am sorry for your depression but that was still shitty!). I take two trains to work every morning and had to wait outdoors with the wind blasting on me for about 20 minutes for each train. It was 1 above before the windchill. Arrived at work completely numb. I ate my morning serving of oatmeal - still STARVING. Just ate my daily snack - still STARVING.

I'd been doing better over the past couple of days with the incessant hunger that I've been fighting; I figured my body was FINALLY getting used to fewer calories. But today I am really struggling. The same amount of breakfast that was fine for me yesterday is like nothing today.

I don't eat animal fat (other than eggs and dairy). Usually what makes me feel full and warm is potatoes, but I've been trying to keep those to a minimum. There's only so much coffee and hot tea I can drink to keep warm.

I miss my daily lunchtime walks so much I could cry. I just can't do it in single digits. (On the plus side, I practically RUN to and from the train in the morning/evening so that I can get out of the cold faster - so, more calories burned? :) ) I have been doing daily yoga for more than a week, so at least I am getting some physical activity and strength training.

Tris - I have this problem every winter! And of course, because of mustachianism, I'm always trying to keep my thermostat low too.

Last feb or so I gave in and started using a space heater in my home office. I could either gain weight and save money or have a higher electric bill and lose the weight - I  chose the higher utilities.

I actually just got my space heater out of the basement this morning because I can't fight the cold and the food cravings anymore.

And since you are veggie - here is an awesome filling cold weather/healthy recipe:
http://heatheratwood.com/blog/tag/lentil-and-grain-chili-with-cucumber-raita/

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #202 on: January 05, 2018, 11:41:56 AM »

Tris - I have this problem every winter! And of course, because of mustachianism, I'm always trying to keep my thermostat low too.

Last feb or so I gave in and started using a space heater in my home office. I could either gain weight and save money or have a higher electric bill and lose the weight - I  chose the higher utilities.

Pfffft, I've completely given up on mustachianism re heat, in these conditions. The space heater is on daily in the evenings, and in the morning to warm up the frigid bathroom. I don't care any more. I tell myself it's for my very elderly cat (who to be fair is noticeably suffering in this cold when we don't run it). We can't control the heat in our apartment and don't pay for it, so there's no furnace to blast.

And since you are veggie - here is an awesome filling cold weather/healthy recipe:
http://heatheratwood.com/blog/tag/lentil-and-grain-chili-with-cucumber-raita/

That looks yummy! I am not a huge fan of lentils but mixed with the chick peas I think it'd be good. I've got a bag of lentils in the pantry that I need to use up (bought for a failed soup recipe. Yuck.)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #203 on: January 05, 2018, 11:53:46 AM »
Being cold plus having a cold have me all topsy turvy.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2018, 02:23:35 PM »
For those of you wondering if you can lose weight with little or no exercise: Exercise Won't Help You Lose Much Weight.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #205 on: January 05, 2018, 02:36:53 PM »
Hi all  - I'm having fun staying on the plan, and have successfully got all my xmas weight off - put in on in a week, take it off in a week is going to be my Xmas motto. And for next year, I will not eat so much at Xmas!

Now onto the more serious business if losing the 5kg I've basically been carry all last year - no excuses.

And I find it really interesting how people are so different; I'm in the no cake, or all the cake camp. I just can't do moderation with sweet things, no matter how hard I try. Even the really dark chocolate I can eat loads of.  So hence January is no cake, no chocolate and no alcohol -  had more than my fair share of all three in December, so I can't complain.

I'm keeping to MFP and logging everything; logging is quite easy as what I eat tends to be repetitive and I know I need to log to truly understand what I eat, and to get me questioning why I want to eat things.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2018, 03:03:42 PM »

Right now my plan of attack is to give up sweets (I'm the type that can't eat just one so I have to eat none or I'll eat them all) and aim for 1600-1800cals/day. I'm not particularly active. I have a desk job and if I'm not trying to get extra steps I get about 5k a day, but I can still lose eating at that range. I want to exercise consistently too, but my food goals are my main priority.

I think that's a good target. I see some people trying to eat 1200-1400 cals/day and if that works for them, that's great, but I think it's very hard/probably not healthy to eat like that for the long term. Short term diets don't work for a lot of people. What makes you lose weight and keep the weight off is consistently making the right food choices. I think 1600-1800 is a realistic target if you're in it for the long term.

I try to eat 1800 cals/day and I lose weight. Only 0,5 / 1 kg a week, but I'll get there without feeling hungry or getting fed up and binge eating. I cycle 10km/day plus I exercise with weights a few times a week, but other than that I'm not particularly active (desk job).

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2018, 03:47:36 PM »
What are the sparkling water brands people can recommend? I'd like to try a few to see which one tastes best to me.
La Croix curate (the kind that comes in small cans) is my favorite, but pricey. Sometimes they have it for a good price at Big Lots. All other brands, including the regular La Croix, are basically indistinguishable to me, so I generally go with what's cheapest.

I've had pretty much all the brands available in my area, and I agree that they are mostly indistinguishable.  The only one I ever really didn't like was the store brand's Mandarin Orange flavor.  Polar is my go-to brand for a compromise between lower cost and fun flavors.

Some favorites in case those can inspire you:

La Croix - passionfruit or mango flavors
Dasani - strawberry-guava or pineapple flavors

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2018, 04:42:12 PM »

Starting metrics in black, Last update in Green
Starting weight: 241 : 241
Starting pushups: 0
Starting mile pace: 16 min. : 15:35!
Starting bench press: 55 pounds : 60 pounds

Short term goals:
Goal 1: work out 4 days a week, an hour per day.  3 days per week
Goal 2: drink 8 glasses of water per day : around 4 glasses ;
Goal 3: eat 50 grams of fiber per day (fruits and veggies);
Goal 4: 14 min mile by July 2018
Goal 5: 220 pounds by July 2018

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:06:16 AM by Apple_Tango »

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: January 05, 2018, 10:31:46 PM »
I'd love to join too. I have baby fat to get rid of now that baby is five months old. I'm down 32 pounds from my highest of this year but that includes an 8 lb baby too, haha. I still need to lose 18 lbs for pre pregnancy weight and another 12 for my marriage wedding and another 14 for my ideal weight. I joined in 2017 and found we got pregnant. Hope to finish 2018 at my ideal weight. First goal is to get to pre pregnancy weight by end of March. Second goal is to hit wedding weight by June and to hit lowest weight by end of year (the hardest stretch which I hope to attack with established habits). Let's bring it on!

Like the idea of goals - here are our goals for Jan:
1) 5000 steps per day
2) 6 stairs per day
3) one meal of veggies and fruits only per day
Updating after two days:

I've lost two pounds - I'm sure it's more water weight than actual one but I'll take it :) I've cut out all carbs except for a tiny portion. Surprisingly it's not been that hard to switch. I've also noticed that I eat more sweets now (and ate some ice cream and sweets for new year). I usually hate sweets but developed a liking for them during my second pregnancy and am still holding on to it six months later. Time to kick the habit back to curb. My routine is crazy and I don't have much leeway into building in exercises. The only exercise I get is carrying a 17 lb baby. Has anyone lost weight only with diet changes? How important is exercise in a weight loss journey?
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll concentrate on food changes till I can add more exercise in. I especially loved the suggestion to incorporate exercise into play and surprisingly my baby is loving it! I'm now trying to find more ways to add in fun exercise into daily routine.

My weight is down 3 lbs (mostly water weight because low carbs). I don't track my food but try to eat healthy (less carbs, more veggies and fruits) but looking at some of your meals, I think I just eat a lot. I've gotten used to eating more when pregnant (yep, fell for the eating for two advice.... not that I needed lot of encouragement)  and my stomach expects more food. Need to slowly dial down the amount to a normal person's portions.

Does anyone forget you are trying to lose weight? I completely forgot and ate a few cookies. Later when I was checking how I did at end of day, I realized I ate those cookies :( how do I remember all the time?
I'm still losing weight daily (goes to show how much crap I was eating before) but it has slowed down. My eating is still not good enough (I eat a serving of carbs at every course (and a bit more at lunch) and I eat ice cream or sweets because it is at home). My nemesis is sweets and ice cream. I can't resist it when it is at home and I can't stop others at home buying it. To add to the problem, I forget I'm on a diet and eat them. I'm considering figuring what I should eat all day and not eat anything not on that list. Will give it a try for a few days to see if I can continue losing weight.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #210 on: January 06, 2018, 05:48:30 AM »

[...]

I'm still losing weight daily (goes to show how much crap I was eating before) but it has slowed down. My eating is still not good enough (I eat a serving of carbs at every course (and a bit more at lunch) and I eat ice cream or sweets because it is at home). My nemesis is sweets and ice cream. I can't resist it when it is at home and I can't stop others at home buying it. To add to the problem, I forget I'm on a diet and eat them. I'm considering figuring what I should eat all day and not eat anything not on that list. Will give it a try for a few days to see if I can continue losing weight.

I definitely figure out my meal plans ahead of time and then do my best to stick to them.  The way it works for me is to have my standard smoothie breakfast, pack a reasonable lunch of leftovers and a healthy snack or two, and then when I have a few minutes at work, record all of that stuff and then plan my dinner to balance out the rest of the meals in terms of food types/groups and also stay under my calorie limit.  If I have a big dinner to go to or something, then I might work backwards and record the less-healthy dinner meal first, then figure out what I should eat for lunch/snacks to help offset it.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: January 06, 2018, 06:05:52 AM »
So last night was a bit of a failure as I ended up going for Friday drinks with a bunch of co-workers. On the good (and more mustachian) side, I only  had 2 beers and got a sparkling water after. For food I just took a portion of fries while everyone else got large meals like burgers (with fries!). Calorie and health wise not the best day, but it was some good socialization.

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #212 on: January 06, 2018, 07:18:36 AM »
Goal: -12 lbs
Strategies:
* Sugar on weekends only (and not excessive)
* Fasting 1X per week
* Smaller portions (use smaller plates to help)
* Light on empty carbs
* No eating after 7:00pm (drink tea to curb cravings)
* Exercise minimum 3X per week (running & weights/kettlebells)

Some extra ideas (many taken from other's posts):
- Lemon water in the morning
- Lots of veggie soups w/ a lean protein

Update #1
* Food shifts are happening slowly, but eating up some items left in the cupboards first. I've made a list of healthy meals to inform my next trip to the grocery store.
* Didn't do my first "Fasting Thursday" because it was a snow day home from work (fasting is easier when I'm busy and distracted)
* Made an exercise schedule that includes 10 minutes of rigorous weight training (lots of squats) each weekday morning, running the 2 miles home from work 3X per week, and doing yoga in the evening 2X per week

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #213 on: January 06, 2018, 11:00:57 AM »
Yesterday was my leaving do at my current assignment. Donuts for breakfast, lunch out, and pizza for dinner. Not a vegetable in sight, but I still did really fucking great with portion sizes and waiting until I was hungry. Win.

wintertell

• Bristles
« Reply #214 on: January 06, 2018, 11:34:28 AM »
I'm down from my post-Christmas high of 217, and I am so relieved. I weighed in at 212.8. That's within 10lbs of my lowest in early Nov 2017.

I am aiming for a 1lb/week weight loss, so that means mid-March before I get back to my lowest, but then only another month until I get below 200 in April!

It's annoying to basically be where I was in September, but two weeks ago I hit weights I hadn't seen since August -- all about perspective.

This year I am concentrating on:
- Aiming for 1900 calories or less/daily
- Getting 6k-10k steps a day, getting a gym routine started.
- 100 oz of water
- Wearing my Fitbit
- Tracking all food in MFP
- Meal planning every week, going to the grocery store right after and avoiding eating out.

Another big thing for me is cutting out emotional/stress eating - It's just not conducive to being a normal weight.

One day at a time. I am so relieved to have turned the slide upward back down.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: January 06, 2018, 12:37:38 PM »
Have people here experimented with fasting? I was curious to try (not particularly for weight loss, but mainly for both mental and physical benefits I've heard people talking about) so I did a little experiment today, but I got very shaky around 2 PM. Does this mean it's just not for me or is the skakiness a stage you have to go through for a moment before it gets comfortable again?

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #216 on: January 06, 2018, 05:00:47 PM »
So inspired by everyone's commitment! I lost 12 pounds last year, but a few crept back on. Want to lose those last 5-10 (10 is probably too much but a girl can dream). For those of you who are freezing like I am (65 on the thermostat and - degrees outside) some things that help me: Dance party in my house for an hour. I have an urban rebounder, so I do it on that, but you don't need one. For those with joint issues, the rebounder is amazing, fyi. It gives you a full cardio workout with zero impact. And it takes up v. little space (although not sure how my downstairs neighbors feel about it). Also, i drink a ton of herbal teas, but also hot water with lemon (and a little honey when I need something sweet).

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #217 on: January 06, 2018, 08:58:03 PM »
Finished Day 2 of low-carb and came in at 30 carbs for both days and I'm shocked at how much higher carbs cabbage is than romaine.  3 cups each = 15 for cabbage and 3 for romaine.  Wow.  I really like cabbage and find it so much more versatile: it's great sauteed with evoo, added to salads for crunch, sprinkled into soup, etc... But if I keep it there's no way I'm going to make it down to 20 carbs a day without feeling deprived or hungry.

I'll pick up a kitchen scale next week, maybe if I weigh my food I'll be able to gain some wiggle room.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #218 on: January 07, 2018, 02:24:39 AM »
Finished Day 2 of low-carb and came in at 30 carbs for both days and I'm shocked at how much higher carbs cabbage is than romaine.  3 cups each = 15 for cabbage and 3 for romaine.  Wow.  I really like cabbage and find it so much more versatile: it's great sauteed with evoo, added to salads for crunch, sprinkled into soup, etc... But if I keep it there's no way I'm going to make it down to 20 carbs a day without feeling deprived or hungry.

I'll pick up a kitchen scale next week, maybe if I weigh my food I'll be able to gain some wiggle room.

I am pretty certain I will never put myself on a diet where I am worried that eating cabbage will hinder my weight loss. Seems intense.

You’d have to eat 8kgs of cabbage for 2,000 cals. That’s a hellava lot of cabbage.

Or to put it another way, to lose 1 kg you need to have a calorie deficit of 7,700 cals or remove more than 30kgs (66lbs) of cabbage from your diet assuming a kilo of cabbage is 250cals.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #219 on: January 07, 2018, 05:12:21 AM »
Have people here experimented with fasting? I was curious to try (not particularly for weight loss, but mainly for both mental and physical benefits I've heard people talking about) so I did a little experiment today, but I got very shaky around 2 PM. Does this mean it's just not for me or is the skakiness a stage you have to go through for a moment before it gets comfortable again?

I’ve done a ton of reading on fasting because I had ulcers last year that weren’t responding to medication and fasting was the only way to manage the pain. Which was highly effective btw.

From what I can tell, not everyone responds well to fasting, and the people who get really shaky and light headed often don’t adjust.
You could try, and maybe start with shorter fasts, try and work your way up to an entire day if you want to, but don’t be surprised if you are one of these people whose body needs food.

Me? I can skip a meal and not even notice as long as I’m hydrated and not doing anything too physical. Fasting for me is easy, and I still didn’t like it.

Personally, I got no benefit from fasting other than controlling my stomach acid pain.
It made me feel kind of stoned, not mentally clear and actually triggered a few months of intense cravings for sugar, which wasn’t fun since I had managed to get to a state for a few years where I no longer had non-hunger based food cravings.
It’s been about 5 months since I last faster and the stupid sugar cravings only dropped off about 8 weeks ago. That was frustrating because I had basically been sugar free and sugar craving free for several years.

Overall, I wouldn’t recommend it.
I’m sure others have a different response and it might be great for some, but for me it just felt sickly.
I would DEFINITELY say that I think it’s probably a practice best waited on until the person has already excellent eating habits and a healthy relationship with food where there isn’t a sense of self deprivation already. I have a hard time fathoming how fasting could help someone have less food issues. Again, maybe some people do. Everyone is different.

Had I done it back in my early 20s when I was always starving myself on the latest fad diet, it could have been a very ugly psychological experience and caused a massive binge phase. I’m glad this trend didn’t become popular until I had already mended my relationship with my body and with food.

That’s just my personal experience and perspective. Feel free to ignore if it’s not applicable to you.

Thanks for the feedback. I usually can go without a meal fairly painless as well, but apparently not the whole day. I had decided on my little experiment quite spontaneously, so it might also be due to lack of preparation. For now I'll just keep it at healthy eating and leave the fasting experiment. If I wanna try again, I'll do some more research/preparation.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #220 on: January 07, 2018, 05:32:10 AM »
I'll start keeping track by recording a weekly weigh-in on this thread.

Starting weight: 120.7kg
Current weight: 119.9kg

Obviously it's highly unlikely that I've lost 800g of bodyfat in two days (I've now got a glass of water that I'm sipping from that'll negate much of that anyway), but it's a start and a psychological boost to feel I'm on the way there :)

Previously I'd say my food choices were closer to 'eating on autopilot' regarding the nutrition/health of some dishes, and changing that to not be eating on autopilot is taking a bit of getting used to. This weekend there's been a couple of small transgressions, but not as bad as they would have been normally. :)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #221 on: January 07, 2018, 10:32:00 AM »
Complete fail last night! I couldn't stop snacking! I was alternating with healthy snacks and I had another serving of dinner- stir fried veggies and beef at one point. I may need to start tracking with MFP again to convince snacky-brain that I have had enough!

I gained the 1.5 pounds back that I'd lost through the week, but I'm also busy reminding myself that 1.5 is within the realm of regular fluctuations! Tomorrow is weigh in day, which is incentive to eat well tonight. :)

On a good note, doubled the exercise intensity today. Found a HIIT workout that I should be able to do for a couple weeks or months before I will be able to keep up with the instructor!

Generally frustrated with my strength and fitness and how far I let myself slide over the past 5 years. Trying not to let that frustration turn into negative self-talk habits. Trying to use it as motivation instead.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #222 on: January 07, 2018, 12:23:45 PM »

I am pretty certain I will never put myself on a diet where I am worried that eating cabbage will hinder my weight loss. Seems intense.

You’d have to eat 8kgs of cabbage for 2,000 cals. That’s a hellava lot of cabbage.

Or to put it another way, to lose 1 kg you need to have a calorie deficit of 7,700 cals or remove more than 30kgs (66lbs) of cabbage from your diet assuming a kilo of cabbage is 250cals.

It sounds worse than it is.  A keto diet relies on a carb-deficit in order to work.  So for the last couple of days I've been eating eggs, sausage, cheddar cheese, salami, lots of cabbage, pork & hominy soup, olives, tea with heavy cream and splenda, and still being withing my calorie budget of 1780 set by MFP for 2 lbs a week weight loss.  And I haven't felt deprived or hungry at all.  Since most foods have carbs, it's just a matter of picking the foods that give you the best bang for your buck.

If I spend my carb budget on cabbage, that means I have to cut out all the carbs in the rest of my food, which is difficult.  Instead, I can just choose to spend my carb budget on less carby veggies like bok choy, romaine, mushrooms, peppers, escarole, endive, jicama, etc (there's a long list of low-carb veggies, these are just the ones I like best). 

Again, this is for the 20 carb limit to get into ketosis.  Later on I might add in more carbs if I find that I can still stay in keto.  But for now I'm working hard to get to the 20 carb limit so I'm happy to make the subs now that I'm aware of the cabbage carbiness.  I'll be quite happy with the other veggies, I just didn't know it made such a difference. 

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #223 on: January 07, 2018, 12:50:40 PM »
I signed up for losing weight in 2017 and did a terrible job - I actually gained like 5 lbs.  So, I'm signing up again but with the caveat that we're going to try for another kid, and my weight will probably go back up toward the end of the year.  I'd prefer to be a little more in shape than I am now if/when I get pregnant, so I'm on the bandwagon for losing some weight, but more importantly for building up my strength and endurance so I can keep exercising after the doctor tells me to not start anything new.

Starting weight - 148 lbs in the morning in my underwear after I pee ;)

1) Try (again) to meal plan more effectively to reduce pizza and quesadilla nights.
2) Do my best to make it to crossfit 3x/week minimum, and take a long walk or a hike one other day per week.
3) Don't eat snacks at work!  People bring in all sorts of delicious things and I have no self control once I start.  I'm far better at not eating any cookies than at stopping with one.
4) Eat more vegetables!  Current toddler subsists mostly on yogurt, cheese, pasta, fruit, and cookies/crackers/cereal snacks - maybe if I eat more veggies, the next baby will like the flavor more?  Wishful thinking, probably, but good for me regardless.
5) Actually keep track of my intake on myfitnesspal.  I think I know what I'm eating, but I actually just scarfed 6 small Reeces Peanut Butter cups, and almost forgot about them until I saw the wrappers in my trash.  Not great.

I feel the best on a lower carb/paleo style diet, so if anyone has any recipes that fit that bill (especially crock pot recipes) that they especially love, could you pass them on?  I'm always looking for new things to try on DH :)

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #224 on: January 07, 2018, 01:47:24 PM »

It sounds worse than it is.  A keto diet relies on a carb-deficit in order to work.  So for the last couple of days I've been eating eggs, sausage, cheddar cheese, salami, lots of cabbage, pork & hominy soup, olives, tea with heavy cream and splenda, and still being withing my calorie budget of 1780 set by MFP for 2 lbs a week weight loss.  And I haven't felt deprived or hungry at all.  Since most foods have carbs, it's just a matter of picking the foods that give you the best bang for your buck.

If I spend my carb budget on cabbage, that means I have to cut out all the carbs in the rest of my food, which is difficult.  Instead, I can just choose to spend my carb budget on less carby veggies like bok choy, romaine, mushrooms, peppers, escarole, endive, jicama, etc (there's a long list of low-carb veggies, these are just the ones I like best). 

Again, this is for the 20 carb limit to get into ketosis.  Later on I might add in more carbs if I find that I can still stay in keto.  But for now I'm working hard to get to the 20 carb limit so I'm happy to make the subs now that I'm aware of the cabbage carbiness.  I'll be quite happy with the other veggies, I just didn't know it made such a difference.

You're counting total carbs on cabbage (5g/cup) which is the wrong measurement.  You should count net carbs (carbs minus fiber), since the fiber is not converted to glucose.  MFP shows cabbage at 5g total carbs with 2g fiber per cup, so your three cup example would actually be 9g instead of 15g.  Still 45% towards your daily goal obviously, but significantly different than 75% towards your daily goal.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #225 on: January 07, 2018, 02:22:30 PM »

You're counting total carbs on cabbage (5g/cup) which is the wrong measurement.  You should count net carbs (carbs minus fiber), since the fiber is not converted to glucose.  MFP shows cabbage at 5g total carbs with 2g fiber per cup, so your three cup example would actually be 9g instead of 15g.  Still 45% towards your daily goal obviously, but significantly different than 75% towards your daily goal.

I'm using MFP to log but I don't see the breakdown for fiber and net carbs.  Is that part of the premium version? 

lemonverbena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #226 on: January 07, 2018, 06:12:02 PM »
Jan 1: 142lbs
Jan 7: 136lbs

I didn't do anything I said I would. I had a harder work week than usual and was so exhausted I just went to bed by 8:30pm most nights, so no exercise. I ate more than usual and also didn't track on MFP. I suspect I lost weight because sleeping well really helps and because I've recently given up caffeine. I think coffee (and also insufficient sleep) royally screw up my endocrine system and make me hold onto and gain weight. So the first 6lbs were effortless, but 136 is my usual weight. The next 10lbs I'll have to work for.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #227 on: January 07, 2018, 06:13:07 PM »
I'm in.  I still have about 5 lbs of baby weight I'd like to lose before we have a second (which is possibly happening this year...), hoping to lose it before my birthday in March.  I finally got myself into a good place with diet/exercise in late 2017: lots of walking, more formal workouts (e.g. something that requires a sports bra) 4-5x/week, more veggies and less sugar/junk carbs.  I've been tracking in MFP and finding it helpful.  I plug in everything I am planning to eat in the morning, then update in the evening with any deviations from plan.  I got a bit off track with MFP due to holiday travel and need to get myself back in the habit this week!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #228 on: January 07, 2018, 08:50:49 PM »
I ate like an adult today. It wasn't the worst thing ever. There was a lack of poutine and cookies

Hahaha. Loved this. Sometimes adulting is hard.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #229 on: January 08, 2018, 01:58:00 AM »
Pulled the belt one notch tighter today. It’s a start.

5 more notches would be a good outcome.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #230 on: January 08, 2018, 02:20:50 AM »
December 29: 77,5
January 8:      77,1

I actually gained a bit over NYE + leftovers, then lost it again. I'm taking it slowly and don't weigh myself super regularly. I do track my food and since January 1 and that's going really well. I like to bake, but when I'm tracking my calories I hate to calculate the energetic value of the cake I've baked, so I just don't bake to avoid the hassle.

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #231 on: January 08, 2018, 06:19:50 AM »
Joining for accountability. Going to finally lose the extra 10-15 pounds I’ve been carrying around for the past 10-15 years. I’d like to lose at least 10lbs by April when I plan to get my cholesterol checked.

My plan is:
- track calories in MFP (1200-1400 per day)
- walk for an hour every day
- Pilates, yoga, Zumba, and spin class each once a week.
- no alcohol until July 4 (doing this with my spouse)
- plant based diet
- no eating out unless invited out with friends until July 4

My spouse is also on board which makes this a lot easier this time.

Starting weight: 135lbs
Goal weight: 120-125lbs

Week 1:
Weight - 134.0 lbs
Average Calories - 1294
Diet - mostly plant based (1 dairy meal), no alcohol consumed
Exercise - minimal (some walking)

I was recovering from the flu so didn’t exercise much. Hoping to increase the exercise this week and be 100% plant based with my diet.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #232 on: January 08, 2018, 06:32:28 AM »
Height: 71"

Weight history prior to this:
06/2008: ~175lb
11/2008: ~160lb (thanks, mono)
12/2009: ~195lb (stress eating + college food. yay)
12/2011: ~210lb (college graduation)
12/2016: ~230lb (my peak)
12/2017: 209lb

1/8/2018: 207lb

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #233 on: January 08, 2018, 07:03:24 AM »
Week 1 Results:
-Lost 2 of 20 lbs.
-Averaged 5.7 servings of fruit & veggies/day
-No running as of yet, as I'm in the (hopefully) final stages of recovering from bronchitis
-Did one week of 21 day shred (7 of 21 days complete)
-Worked out every day: 3 cardio workouts, one arm focused day, one leg focused day, one combined strength day, and one pilates workout.

Things that worked:
-Buying pre-packaged salad with a few fun mix ins to drive my F&V up. Very helpful, and I ate the entire bag in 5 days.
-Making working out in the morning a priority

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #234 on: January 08, 2018, 07:32:38 AM »
I'm in!  I started my second round of Whole30 yesterday.  On my first round (March 2017) I ate compliant for 59 days and lost 11 lbs, which got me to my prepregnancy weight.  I would like to will lose 14 lbs by June 1 .   I know Whole30 is not supposed to be a weight loss diet, but I have tried so many other programs and this is the only one that I have been able to stick to.

My stats:
4/27/2017 (The last day of Whole30 Round 1)
Weight: 144 lbs
Arms: 11"
Waist: 33.9
Hips: 39.6"
Thighs: 21.9"

1/2/2018 (Whole30 Round 2 Day 1)
Weight: 142.4 lbs
Neck: 13.5"
Arms: 10.5
Waist: 34.5"
Hips: 39.5
Thighs: 21."

Today is Day 6 of my Whole30 round.  Even though it is breaking the whole30 rules, I stepped on the scale and was happy to see that my weight has gone down.  I'm not writing it down because I know a lot can change over the next 3 weeks of Whole30.

I'm pleasantly surprised that this food hangover was not even close to the food hangover I felt on my first round.  My first round I felt like I was going to die.  I was in bed sick by this point, but even after ending Round 1 my family made permanent changes to our diet, which is probably why I'm feeling pretty good right now.

I had planned to not work out until day 15 so I could focus on the food habits and hangover first, but this morning I woke up with a ton of energy decided to walk on the treadmill for 1.5 miles/30 miles. 

Here is what I ate during week 1.  I realize my meals are very boring and I ate the same thing most days, but for me that is key during the beginning of a Whole30.  It lets me focus on the foods and how I feel first.  When I hit the "Tiger Blood" stage I will start experimenting more with recipes.

Breakfast (every day):  Eggs with coconut milk with left over veggies.  I added either an avocado or banana depending on what I felt like.  Coffee was black with coconut oil stirred in.

Lunch:
Lunch 1&2: Chicken Sausage with baked potato drizzled with olive oil, and a leftover veg
Lunch 3&4:  Baked potato drizzled with olive oil topped with Sloppy Joes (ground turkey, sugar free tomato sauce, chopped carrots, & chopped green peppers)
Lunch 5&6: Chicken Sausage, Spaghetti squash.  I attempted to make Spaghetti squash fritters but I need to work on the recipe.
Lunch 7:  Chicken sausage, leftover veg

Dinner:
Dinner 1:  Steak, broccoli, zucchini, deviled eggs
Dinner 2: Pork Chops, broccoli, roasted potatoes
Dinner 3: Spaghetti squash, homemade spaghetti sauce, deviled eggs
Dinner 4: Spaghetti squash, homemade spaghetti sauce, deviled eggs
Dinner 5: Chicken thighs, broccoli, roasted potatoes
Dinner 6: Chicken, broccoli
Dinner 7:  Steak, Cauliflower, roasted peppers

There were 2 times during the week I needed a snack.  For snacks I had a banana and a hard boiled egg. 

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #235 on: January 08, 2018, 08:06:20 AM »
1) Eat 3 to 4 meals per day. Each meal will have a source of protein.
2) No cheese. I'm vegetarian, would like to eat more 100% vegan meals, and cheese is a source of concentrated calories.
3) Exercise in an intentional way 3-4 days per week. This can include running, biking, yoga and resistance training.
I accomplished 1 and 2. A whole week without cheese!! I missed the mark on exercise, only completing 2 yoga videos. I'm *finally* feeling pretty healthy (it's been 3 weeks!), so I'll do better this week.

I've also been trying to stay mindful during meals and eating until I'm 80% full. It's a good habit for me, because I tend to be a quick eater. Overall I'm happy with my progress. I weighed myself this morning and was also happy. I'll only report weight 1x per month because it fluctuates so much with water retention, but I think I'm heading in a good direction.

SlowlyButSurely

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #236 on: January 08, 2018, 09:03:50 AM »
So far (numbers are actually a 10 day average to smooth random ups and downs):

12/26/2017 - 192.1 lbs
01/01/2018 - 190.6 lbs (14% goal 1, 5% stretch goal)
01/08/2018 - 189.2 lbs (28% goal 1, 11% stretch goal)

I was able to stick to my plan this week. The vegan + sugar free combination is tough, but I do think it's disrupting my eating habits, which is the goal. Sugar is really everywhere. I didn't try anything longer than my daily 16/8 fast, but I'd like to try to fit in a 24 hour fast this coming week. I want to see if it's any easier when I make lunch my one meal of the day, rather than dinner.

I'm happy about the progress I've made, but I know from experience that this is where the rubber hits the road. I've lost the "easy" weight, and it's going to be slower from here, which is always discouraging. At the same time, the novelty is wearing off, and I'm likely to start getting bored. Checking in here every day to see what everyone else is doing does help with motivation, and I'm going to seek out some interesting-looking recipes that I'll look forward to experimenting with.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #237 on: January 08, 2018, 09:42:54 AM »
Making it a habit this year to step on the scale each Monday. Today is 164.5, down 0.6 from last week. I've not been incredibly strict with my eating, but I've tried to be more mindful of portions and have only had one alcoholic drink in the entire week. I'm still waiting to be medically cleared to go back to full exercise pre-(minor)surgery, so I'm mostly walking and doing moderate yoga at this point. On to the next week!

roystonea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #238 on: January 08, 2018, 10:28:31 AM »
Height: almost 5'4"
Current weight (Jan-2-2018): 136 lbs
Goal weight: around 120-125 lbs.

Weighing in on Monday mornings from now on.

Starting weight (Jan-2-2018): 136 lbs
Current weight (Jan-8-2018): 134.2 lbs -1.8 lbs

Starting measurements (Jan-8-2018 - didn't take them last week)
Waist: 29"
Thigh: 21.5"

Off to a good start! Not snacking has been easy so far. The post-holiday office junk food isn't even appetizing... someone actually brought in a boxed fruitcake today, yuck. I haven't been dealing with much hunger, so I'm probably eating more calories than I need to, but I'm happy to just build the no-snacking habit for now and re-tune my meals later. If I start trying to tackle both at once, I'll fall off the horse.

I also cut the alcoholic drinks last week to 3. I'm always amazed at how much it improves my mood and motivation to avoid alcohol. It's not something I'm at all interested in cutting out completely, but I'm happy to be moderating my intake a bit.

My other personal goal is to cut the amount of time I spend watching Netflix by myself. I did well until Saturday afternoon, when I fell into an hours-long binge of a really terrible, not to be named show. It's an embarrassing waste of time and turns me into a cranky, sedentary blob.

Lastly, soup season is awesome. So many options for one-pot, balanced, healthy meals. I gotta figure out how to make myself want soup in summer. In Florida.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #239 on: January 08, 2018, 10:42:34 AM »

Lastly, soup season is awesome. So many options for one-pot, balanced, healthy meals. I gotta figure out how to make myself want soup in summer. In Florida.

Have you tried cold soups? I really love those in the summer. I live in a much more moderate climate and even I find it hard to eat certain hot soups in summer, but I still eat light, vegetable based soups like zucchini soup and chervil soup.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #240 on: January 08, 2018, 11:18:29 AM »
Per Happy Scale I've lost 2 pounds. Logging food before I eat it seems to be an effective way to get myself to evaluate if I really need that blizzard. I didn't get to the gym 3 times last week, but I did do a class, lift twice, and did the walking desk enough so that beat my calorie burn goal each day. So gonna say yay for that.

Part of me wants to get really aggressive with this, but past habits tell me that's when I yo-yo. Yes 2 isn't a lot. Yes this is going to take time. It's about building a sustainable lifestyle and just making it a habit I don't even think about. I can do this. Stay the course!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #241 on: January 08, 2018, 11:44:21 AM »
I had better join this challenge.  While I don't mind being pleasantly plump, I'm beginning to cross the line to something less pleasant and more importantly, unhealthy.  15 pounds less for me, or else I will have to buy all new clothes! No more storebought baked goods, and let's halve the amount of holiday candy the kids get (and I eat) before I have to change my handle from Poundwise to Plussize.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #242 on: January 08, 2018, 12:01:37 PM »

I'm using MFP to log but I don't see the breakdown for fiber and net carbs.  Is that part of the premium version?

Sorry Jane X, I don't use their app so I don't know!  I was looking at the nutrition fact table on their website, for shredded or chopped cabbage, which lists total carbs, fiber, and sugar, and subtracted.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #243 on: January 08, 2018, 12:22:41 PM »

Sorry Jane X, I don't use their app so I don't know!  I was looking at the nutrition fact table on their website, for shredded or chopped cabbage, which lists total carbs, fiber, and sugar, and subtracted.

Ah, okay.  I think I'll continue to count all grams for now to offset the fact that I'm not weighing or measuring my food yet.  It's all eyeball portions and I'm sure I'm being generous with myself.  Once I get a kitchen scale and start weighing, then I'll deduct the fiber.

Thanks for pointing that out!  It's made me feel lots better about being at 30 instead of 20.

roystonea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #244 on: January 08, 2018, 12:54:50 PM »

Have you tried cold soups? I really love those in the summer. I live in a much more moderate climate and even I find it hard to eat certain hot soups in summer, but I still eat light, vegetable based soups like zucchini soup and chervil soup.

I've always shied away from cold soups for some reason. But it's high time to try a few recipes. Thank you for the suggestion!

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #245 on: January 08, 2018, 06:28:27 PM »
Finished day 4 of low carb!  I'm pretty sure I'm in keto, but since I just started my period, I haven't weighed and don't plan to until after.  Even with the increased cravings and cycle related stuff I've been able to stay the course so I'm pretty happy.

Has anyone used Carb Manager for tracking?

ChipmunkSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #246 on: January 08, 2018, 08:12:07 PM »
I've always been puzzled by the fact that I can track dollars and make budget cuts rather easily, but calories and food are a whole different ball game. Why is eating so much more emotionally-charged for me than making purchases? I've never had the ''rush'' of buying stuff, but getting some chocolate will definitely do the trick. I really want to figure out what makes me react this way to food, and how to re-organize my thinking in a healthier manner.

I've been reading about how some personalities (e.g.,kids & marshmallows psych experiments) are better at discounting present value in favor of greater future returns. I can do this with money until the cows come home. I can do this with education and career (powered through my dissertation) but have had such a problem with food. Not sure why the difference, so I'll be interested in hearing your insights as you have them.

No insights so far, but I have read that there is more to the marshmallow study than previously thought. A bit off-topic, but apparently it was a better indicator of the kids' level of trust in authority. I thought that was interesting to note.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/09/what-the-marshmallow-test-really-teaches-about-self-control/380673/

Also, this week was excellent as far as healthy habits go. I did not eat any dessert, exercised every day, and ate lots of fruits and veggies. I weighed myself on January 1st, but I was still pretty bloated from NYE food party, so weight was slightly higher than usual.

Jan 1 : 193.2 lb
Jan 8 : 187.8 lb (-5.4 lb)

I am continuing the 30-day shred, and I'm also taking measurements weekly throughout the month in order to track my progress.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #247 on: January 09, 2018, 01:21:56 AM »
Home now! That kind of feels like out should be prefaced by "finally" but also I like visiting family and it's what's a bit sad to see the festivities end. :)

I'm at 186.9 this morning...I was hanging in there but we show off and splurge in a culinary sense when we get together, so some of the dinners last week did me in...could have been worse!

Now that we're back home and grocery shopped today, I'm tracking in MyNetDiary again. I aim for 1500-1600 kcal average; like others I've found that aiming lower and being RAVENOUS was counterproductive long term...but I can't comment on others' metabolisms. This past year I've been losing pretty comfortably, without serious hunger, if I stick to the limits, get enough protein and/or fats, and keep the carbs within reasonable limits (if starches start to dominate my caloric intake, I get hungry!)

Today's success: Dinner of vegetarian borsch(t) (pictured) which ended up running 1400 kcal for a 6-qt pot. Might help fill up and warm up some of you cold humans?

Peel, then julienne or shred: 1 lb raw beet, 8 oz carrot, 1 lb cabbage, med onion (6 oz?)
Heat up 3 qts prepared better than boullion (or other stock) w/ bay leaf and peppercorns to taste.
Add 2lb potatoes (~3/4 " cubes?) Simmer ~10 min, while you...
Sautee beets and carrots for 3-4 min, then add cabbage, and in 2-3 min add onion. Sautee another minute or two, then dump veg into soup.
Mix and bring to temp and enjoy.

If you want to be authentic, add lots of fresh or dried dill at any point.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #248 on: January 09, 2018, 02:15:05 AM »
I also wanted to respond to some of the ongoing conversations...

Kitchen scales are awesome! I like the unambuguity of it. It does get easier!Eventually, I learned what my typical ingredients came out to (we get 5 oz apples, 2.5 oz Persian cucumbers, etc). Probably more importantly, I learned which products were important to track and which were safe to eyeball. Oils, meat, nuts, cheese, carbs are either caloric (small qty error = large caloric error), or tempting, or both. Vegetables, I am far less concerned with tracking accurately. A cup of lettuce/greens is 5 kcal...that's well within the margin of error on these measurements (esp as applied to different bodies!)

If starving after snacktime is an issue, a nutritionist once told me, pair fruit/veg with fat/protein (cheese, nuts, dip, deli meat) for more lasting fullness. I don't have a habit of snacking, but when I have applied it, it's been true.

There was some discussion of why this control is harder than budgeting...I think it's twofold. One is along the lines of "everyone has their demons"...besides money, one might struggle with alcohol/substances or controlling emotions/esp anger or forgetfulness/lateness...or on the flip side, excessive control tendencies that damages well being and relationships. Basically I see it as normal to struggle to manage/control at least one aspect of life.

Second, the "losing weight is like budgeting" approach neglects the fact that your body is an animal, evolved to adapt to its environment. If you cut its sustenance, you don't get to control how it responds...maybe it burns fat, or maybe it makes you cold and cranky and unfocused (or, all of the above) by turning down other metabolic functions.  Your body is actually trying to be very frugal, and you're trying to get it to waste its "savings"! How would you feel? In contrast, if you're trying to save more money, your bank account  never starts spending more by itself! (Or, if it does, you can contest it as fraud!)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #249 on: January 09, 2018, 04:07:10 AM »
Add me in!

I'm 47yo 5'10 and now 201.4 yesterday!

i'm starting Whole30.  This is day 2 and I'm down to 196!

This probably has to do with the fact that I pigged out the day before I started and went to a steak place AND Taco Bell for lunch.  I was hoping overindulging would make me feel like crap and would motivate me for the VERY restrictive Whole30 diet.

I got down to 167 with just a tracker and p90x3.

My knees are shot and the last round of p90x3 left me in pain in my knees AND hips.  It's a shame because it is a good series.  Esp for abs!

Anyway good luck all!
I forget if p90x3 has dedicated abs workouts (it’s been about 2 years since I completed the program) but I find that most of <that company>’s videos can be mixed and matched for a custom workout. If there are videos you can still do, I’d keep them in rotation. Especially the weekly X3 yoga video.