Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2018  (Read 70563 times)

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
  • Homeschooling and homestesding since 2013
Re: Losing Weight in 2018
« Reply #800 on: June 26, 2018, 05:00:42 AM »
Not a big gym person either though I may join one just for the winter months here now that my kids are old enough I can leave them home instead of needing to bring them to the crappy in gym daycares.

I have an indoor bike that I rode pretty well last winter but might want more variety. A certain amount of activity is good for me mood wise, but 90% of my weight loss has likely been from diet.
I kill fluffy bunnies and feed them to my children.

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #801 on: June 26, 2018, 07:18:23 AM »
There's so many excerise options that don't involve a gym! Now I love love love every type of exercise but using weights in a room full of other people using weights? No, thanks.

I'm currently enrolled in an outdoor bootcamp class and that's amazing. I also love to go for a swim. I do like many group classes at the gym though. Or sports club. Just not the fitness room actually.

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #802 on: June 26, 2018, 08:55:31 AM »

I look at my body and health as a resource, and a limited one at that. Itís also the single most valuable thing I own and itís wearing out fast. Our bodies donít have a great shelf life, their ďbest beforeĒ is at about 25 yearís old. It takes exceptional care to maintain them in decent condition for 50 years past that point. Neglecting it is the biggest and stupidest waste of resources well beyond any level of face punch worthy spending. (Especially for me, I have an auto immune disease that will rapidly damage my body if I donít take care of myself, but itís still true for everyone)

I love this quote. I have similar health issues plus learned I had crossed over into prediabetes last year. I used a ketogenic diet and reversed the A1C back down to normal (lowest in 4 years).  I assumed that weight loss would follow once I was insulin sensitive, but I kept gaining and losing the same 8 lbs. Maybe I never became insulin sensitive? When I took Christmas off from keto (planned), I spent the past two weeks in pain as a lot of nerve pain and inflammatory symptoms came back.

So, I'm joining for accountability.  Starting weight 1/1/18 153.4lb, currently down to 152 which I'm assuming is water weight from being low carb again.

Weight goal: less than 140 lbs

Strategy:
Food:
Low carb (50g carb).

Cut dairy, eggs and nuts for 1 month. I leaned on these hard to maintain net carbs of 20g last year. I think the dairy and nuts stalled weight loss, and the eggs contributed to inflammation.

Fasting: I did a couple rounds of the fast mimicking diet last year. It was actually harder than just a plain water fast.  I'll try combining the two-2 days of water fast + 2-3 days of FMD once/month.

Movement:

Workout at least 3x/week. I'm starting with New Rules of Lifting for Women. I can either workout at home, at the regular or powerlifting gym at work. None of those places have all of the equipment I need, so I will decide in advance what exercise to substitute rather than use that as an excuse to not work out. For example if there is no squat rack, I can either do goblet squats or split squats with dumbbells, or use a leg press.

Find a sport kettlebell class or teach myself from youtube 1x/week

Yoga 1x/week

Swing dance class at least 1x/week.  Next session starts on the 8th.

>30 min walk at least 3x/week, regardless of weather.  I already do this, because I'll walk to the grocery store, library etc.  When it started getting really cold these past couple of weeks, I planned to substitute the elliptical for walking.  Nope. I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Checking in. I hit my goal of being under 140.  I still fluctuate, but I'm at goal more days than not. 

Food
Things I did right:
  • I went back to a stricter low carb diet
  • I started counting calories to actually lose weight. This has been the only way that works for me.
Things I did wrong (?):
  • Reintroduced nuts, dairy and eggs in moderation.  Not helping with weight loss, but it makes me happy

Fasting:
Things I did right:
  • Intermittent fasting when it happened naturally e.g., running errands and didn't have time to eat

Things I did wrong:
  • Early on I was using fasting as punishment i.e., I overate yesterday so I'll fast today.  Fortunately I shut that down quickly.

Movement
Things I did right:
  • Stuck with the 3 days/week workout.  I actually completed the NROLFW program, and I'm redoing the Workout 6 exercises until I'm able to do pull ups.
  • Continued to walk at least 3days per week
Things I did wrong:
 Dropped kettlebells, yoga and swing dance.  I don't really care about dropping those activities.  I just wish I had incorporated a mobility, HIIT or just fun activity to replace them.

Next goals:
  • Aim for 130 lbs using the same strategy as above.  Hopefully, it takes less than 6 months to drop 10lbs
  • Add back or replace the activities that I dropped

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #803 on: June 29, 2018, 10:16:36 PM »
Checking in here. I gained 5 lbs after starting work (due to stress and free food at work) and need to lose them again. My nemesis is dairy - I know I feel way better without it ( my body does worse with dairy) but I can't stop myself from having it :( starting July 1, I'm going off dairy completely for a month to reset eating habits.

rab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #804 on: June 30, 2018, 05:54:05 AM »
June weigh-in:

11/26/2017     253.4
12/31/2017     242.6
01/31/2018     234.8
02/28/2018     224.8
03/31/2018     220.0
04/29/2018     214.4
05/31/2018     209.4
06/30/2018     206.2

Monthly weight loss has been decreasing steadily, but I have been exercising a lot more so I hope that I'm trading some fat for muscle. I think I need to start tracking body fat.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #805 on: June 30, 2018, 06:36:19 AM »
Checking in here. I gained 5 lbs after starting work (due to stress and free food at work) and need to lose them again. My nemesis is dairy - I know I feel way better without it ( my body does worse with dairy) but I can't stop myself from having it :( starting July 1, I'm going off dairy completely for a month to reset eating habits.

Iíve been doing dairy free as an experiment. Two weeks in and my body seems to like it. Gonna give it at least a month or two before seeing if I can have cheese on an occasional basis (rather than daily like I was) and feel okay. So basically Iím now eating paleo without honey or nuts. Meat, veg, fruit, thatís it.

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #806 on: June 30, 2018, 07:37:12 AM »

How about plant-based dairy? I looove soy yoghurt and almond milk. Cheese is a bit harder to replace IMO but you can certainly replace part of your dairy by plant based products so you don't have to miss out completely.

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #807 on: June 30, 2018, 08:42:58 AM »

How about plant-based dairy? I looove soy yoghurt and almond milk. Cheese is a bit harder to replace IMO but you can certainly replace part of your dairy by plant based products so you don't have to miss out completely.

Just avoid non-dairy sour cream. It tastes like caulk.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things." ~ Henry Rollins

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #808 on: July 02, 2018, 05:04:02 AM »
192.6. 52.4 pounds lost since Jan 2017 when Iíd regained a bunch of weight and started low carb. 102.4 pounds down from my heaviest, I think that was around 2010 but not sure.

alsoknownasDean

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #809 on: July 03, 2018, 03:15:54 AM »
Starting weight: 120.7kg
Last weight: 111.3kg
Current weight: 110.4kg

Hooray, things are starting to move in the right direction again :)

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #810 on: July 03, 2018, 05:41:41 AM »
Haven't been on the scale in a month and honestly a bit scared to get there. Time to get back on the bandwagon.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #811 on: July 03, 2018, 06:27:12 AM »
191.4 today and feeling good. Starting to think of myself as not fat.

Start: 245
Heaviest: 295
Lowest previous adult weight: 205

PopMegaphone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #812 on: July 03, 2018, 09:19:17 AM »
I'm 10 weeks in to my diet and I'm down 25 pounds!   I've gone from 234->209.   My goal is to have the following new years resolution:  "In 2019 I would like to maintain my current weight", which should be around 180 pounds.

Atkins just works for me.  I couldn't be happier.

furrychickens

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #813 on: July 03, 2018, 03:53:53 PM »
I'm 10 weeks in to my diet and I'm down 25 pounds!   I've gone from 234->209.   My goal is to have the following new years resolution:  "In 2019 I would like to maintain my current weight", which should be around 180 pounds.

Atkins just works for me.  I couldn't be happier.

Not doing any specific school because I donít like tracking what I eat but yeah low carb is good stuff. Easy to stick to once you get over the initial carb withdrawal. 

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #814 on: July 03, 2018, 05:55:04 PM »
Not doing any specific school because I donít like tracking what I eat....

Your progress is really remarkable, particularly for someone who isn't tracking your food! Food tracking is essential for me, since I haven't internalized portion control yet, and find that I graze too much if I'm not holding myself accountable.

I'm delighted that you're starting to think of yourself as not fat! It's nice when your internal voice changes from being critical to congratulatory.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things." ~ Henry Rollins

alsoknownasDean

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #815 on: July 12, 2018, 07:43:03 AM »
Starting weight: 120.7kg
Last weight: 110.4kg
Current weight: 109.9kg

Finally cracked 110 :)

I probably need to start getting harder on my eating, those Ďoccasional treatsí arenít quite occasional enough, and the amount of calories in the coffees at work (from the espresso machine at work) would add up, even with skinny milk and no sugar. Maybe I need to switch from a flat white to a long black or macchiato. Ditching coffee altogether or drinking instant is not an option. :)

gmdv

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Hermit Wannabe
« Reply #816 on: July 12, 2018, 08:48:49 AM »
May 7 - 133.4 lbs
May 18 - 131.6 lbs

Good thing my walking route is the mall since it's been raining cats and dogs here all week long.  I've been averaging around 2 miles a day during my 40 mins walk,  which burned a pitiful 140 calories.   Although I think I may have overestimated my food calories a little.  It's a bit hard to come up with an accurate number when the food I ate are not in the database. According to my app, I burned around 1624 and ate around 1464 calories per day.
July 12 - 130.2 lbs

Having relatives visit and nonstop parties are really bad for weight loss.   At one point I went all the way up to 136 lbs.