Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2018  (Read 12371 times)

Dulcimina

• Stubble
Re: Losing Weight in 2018
« Reply #200 on: January 04, 2018, 11:47:38 AM »

I look at my body and health as a resource, and a limited one at that. Itís also the single most valuable thing I own and itís wearing out fast. Our bodies donít have a great shelf life, their ďbest beforeĒ is at about 25 yearís old. It takes exceptional care to maintain them in decent condition for 50 years past that point. Neglecting it is the biggest and stupidest waste of resources well beyond any level of face punch worthy spending. (Especially for me, I have an auto immune disease that will rapidly damage my body if I donít take care of myself, but itís still true for everyone)

I love this quote. I have similar health issues plus learned I had crossed over into prediabetes last year. I used a ketogenic diet and reversed the A1C back down to normal (lowest in 4 years).  I assumed that weight loss would follow once I was insulin sensitive, but I kept gaining and losing the same 8 lbs. Maybe I never became insulin sensitive? When I took Christmas off from keto (planned), I spent the past two weeks in pain as a lot of nerve pain and inflammatory symptoms came back.

So, I'm joining for accountability.  Starting weight 1/1/18 153.4lb, currently down to 152 which I'm assuming is water weight from being low carb again.

Weight goal: less than 140 lbs

Strategy:
Food:
Low carb (50g carb).

Cut dairy, eggs and nuts for 1 month. I leaned on these hard to maintain net carbs of 20g last year. I think the dairy and nuts stalled weight loss, and the eggs contributed to inflammation.

Fasting: I did a couple rounds of the fast mimicking diet last year. It was actually harder than just a plain water fast.  I'll try combining the two-2 days of water fast + 2-3 days of FMD once/month.

Movement:

Workout at least 3x/week. I'm starting with New Rules of Lifting for Women. I can either workout at home, at the regular or powerlifting gym at work. None of those places have all of the equipment I need, so I will decide in advance what exercise to substitute rather than use that as an excuse to not work out. For example if there is no squat rack, I can either do goblet squats or split squats with dumbbells, or use a leg press.

Find a sport kettlebell class or teach myself from youtube 1x/week

Yoga 1x/week

Swing dance class at least 1x/week.  Next session starts on the 8th.

>30 min walk at least 3x/week, regardless of weather.  I already do this, because I'll walk to the grocery store, library etc.  When it started getting really cold these past couple of weeks, I planned to substitute the elliptical for walking.  Nope. I couldn't bring myself to do it.

SquashingDebt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #201 on: January 04, 2018, 04:04:48 PM »
One thing I've been thinking about a lot is how to handle conflicting goals and priorities.  Right now, my weight loss/health improvement goal can sometimes conflict with my financial goals (and my eat-down-the-pantry and eat local food goals).

When I take the time to think about it, of course my health is by far the most important of those things.  I need to keep that in mind and when I can't satisfy all my goals at once, remember that it's okay to spend a little more money or compromise in other ways to make sure I keep my healthy eating going.

Today, however, I was able to stick to them all!  Made a tasty veggie and tofu stir fry using veggies and tofu from the freezer, condiments from the fridge/pantry, and brown rice that needed to get used up.

ChipmunkSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #202 on: January 04, 2018, 04:43:39 PM »
I've started doing 30 Day Shred from Jillian Michaels, which is a 26-minute workout with cardio + weights, daily for 30 days. I am currently on day 4, and I am feeling the burn. I used to do this workout back when I was active, and it was very effective in getting me in shape. I figure it's simple, it's quick and I know it works, so I don't have to wonder what workout I'll do today.

I've also signed up for a Dietbet, which is basically betting money that you will lose a certain amount of weight in x amount of weeks/months. I'm hoping this will give me the push I need to help me stick to my new habits at first, and then routine will kick in. Also, I am pretty loss-adverse, so it's extra motivation.

I told myself I would track calories, but I haven't done so so far. I know I've been eating better these past few days, so I'm choosing to concentrate on that, and start tracking in a few weeks.

usuallysleepy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #203 on: January 04, 2018, 04:44:27 PM »
I'm interested in joining!  Not sure of my current weight (so many layers of clothes on to keep warm), but goal BMI is 22.  I'm leaving on vacation next week, so I'm holding off on starting anything too strict/strenuous (want to be able to walk), and when I get back I think I'll do the whole30 again (this would be 4th time).  I've realized that when I give myself a little leeway, I tend to eat like crap, so my big plan is for excellent diet unless I'm on vacation.  This keeps me from eating out too (used to be a bigger problem before I started reading MMM), which is a nice benefit.  My other goal is to be able to do a pullup-I haven't done one since I was maybe 11, so 2018 is going to be a big year!!!

Malkynn

• Stubble
« Reply #204 on: January 04, 2018, 05:02:56 PM »
One thing I've been thinking about a lot is how to handle conflicting goals and priorities.  Right now, my weight loss/health improvement goal can sometimes conflict with my financial goals (and my eat-down-the-pantry and eat local food goals).

When I take the time to think about it, of course my health is by far the most important of those things.  I need to keep that in mind and when I can't satisfy all my goals at once, remember that it's okay to spend a little more money or compromise in other ways to make sure I keep my healthy eating going.

Today, however, I was able to stick to them all!  Made a tasty veggie and tofu stir fry using veggies and tofu from the freezer, condiments from the fridge/pantry, and brown rice that needed to get used up.

You can still eat down your pantry and eat local without compromising health goals. You just might need to supplement the pantry staples a bit to optimize the healthfulness of it.
Unless of course your pantry is full of potato chips and coco puffs, in which case, thatís not actual food, so thereís no need to eat it.

I am working my way through some flavoured rice that DH bought, but itís not exactly nutritious, so itís a small part of recipes, but Iím prioritizing recipes that can use it up.

seemsright

• Stubble
« Reply #205 on: January 04, 2018, 05:17:43 PM »
I am in. I have at least 50# to try to drop this year. But I know I cannot restrict calories...it will lead me to eat all of the things. So I am eating real food and watching my portions. I am also trying to learn how to workout at home. (we have a goal of long term world travel during FIRE and I must learn how to stay in shape without a gym) So I am doing very simple workouts. I have a kettle bell so I am doing 100 kettle bells swings a day, 100 push ups a day and yoga along with outside stuff...hiking and biking.

I know over training is not a good thing for me (learned that the HARD way after I got a Black Belt in Kenpo)  This is a complete experiment.

I would love to be able to buy a 50# kettle bell before June because the 35# one is too light and wear out running shoes.  Over all I think this is a keep it simple and quite over thinking everything I am doing.
"Luck is how others define hard work, dedication, focus and vision" 3/15

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #206 on: January 04, 2018, 07:33:23 PM »
I'd love to join too. I have baby fat to get rid of now that baby is five months old. I'm down 32 pounds from my highest of this year but that includes an 8 lb baby too, haha. I still need to lose 18 lbs for pre pregnancy weight and another 12 for my marriage wedding and another 14 for my ideal weight. I joined in 2017 and found we got pregnant. Hope to finish 2018 at my ideal weight. First goal is to get to pre pregnancy weight by end of March. Second goal is to hit wedding weight by June and to hit lowest weight by end of year (the hardest stretch which I hope to attack with established habits). Let's bring it on!

Like the idea of goals - here are our goals for Jan:
1) 5000 steps per day
2) 6 stairs per day
3) one meal of veggies and fruits only per day
Updating after two days:

I've lost two pounds - I'm sure it's more water weight than actual one but I'll take it :) I've cut out all carbs except for a tiny portion. Surprisingly it's not been that hard to switch. I've also noticed that I eat more sweets now (and ate some ice cream and sweets for new year). I usually hate sweets but developed a liking for them during my second pregnancy and am still holding on to it six months later. Time to kick the habit back to curb. My routine is crazy and I don't have much leeway into building in exercises. The only exercise I get is carrying a 17 lb baby. Has anyone lost weight only with diet changes? How important is exercise in a weight loss journey?
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll concentrate on food changes till I can add more exercise in. I especially loved the suggestion to incorporate exercise into play and surprisingly my baby is loving it! I'm now trying to find more ways to add in fun exercise into daily routine.

My weight is down 3 lbs (mostly water weight because low carbs). I don't track my food but try to eat healthy (less carbs, more veggies and fruits) but looking at some of your meals, I think I just eat a lot. I've gotten used to eating more when pregnant (yep, fell for the eating for two advice.... not that I needed lot of encouragement)  and my stomach expects more food. Need to slowly dial down the amount to a normal person's portions.

Does anyone forget you are trying to lose weight? I completely forgot and ate a few cookies. Later when I was checking how I did at end of day, I realized I ate those cookies :( how do I remember all the time?

ixtap

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #207 on: January 04, 2018, 08:08:25 PM »
Today I ate all the things. Something about being sick just threw all caution to the wind.

Ah well, tomorrow is a new day.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #208 on: January 04, 2018, 08:57:37 PM »
Did pretty good today. I was pleasantly surprised by the scale this morning and tried not to let that be an excuse to indulge. My brother's kids came over so I gave away most of the cake! I wasn't hungry until around 2pm, but spent some time earlier cutting up veggies and a melon so they were ready to go when I was, and also some for the kids.

Need to bump up exercise intensity soon. 1 week of low intensity should be enough to get me started right? At least moving in the right direction. :)

alsoknownasDean

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: January 05, 2018, 03:10:19 AM »
I'm in. Joined the previous thread a while ago, lost a tiny bit of weight, and have put it back on. I've been exhausted for months, but now I've had a bit of time off work and I'm slightly refreshed, time to focus that mental energy into taking in less energy in the form of food.

Started a bit yesterday, and properly today. Mostly I'll be focusing on improving/reducing what I eat for the meantime.

I'm getting to the stage where some slimmer-cut size 42 pants no longer fit. There's definitely a better way around this than buying larger pants. So my first goal is to not need to anymore.

I actually went on a cull of my wardrobe the other week and cleaned out some of my 'thin' clothes (from 2011-13 mainly). My thinking was 'if I get to that size again, I'll happily buy new clothes'. I kept the nicer stuff :) Admittedly, some of the clothes I'd no longer wear even if they did fit. The tshirts I'd wear at age 27-28 aren't what I'd wear at age 33.

As for target weight, my target is 85-90kg. I lost a bunch of weight in 2011 and found that was where I looked/felt best (I got down to 80kg last time). I'm 181cm/~5'11" tall.

Current (starting weight) is 120.7 kg (I actually expected higher). My phone's calculator says that's about 265.9 lbs in the old scale.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 03:17:40 AM by alsoknownasDean »

SquashingDebt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #210 on: January 05, 2018, 05:49:33 AM »

You can still eat down your pantry and eat local without compromising health goals. You just might need to supplement the pantry staples a bit to optimize the healthfulness of it.
Unless of course your pantry is full of potato chips and coco puffs, in which case, thatís not actual food, so thereís no need to eat it.

I am working my way through some flavoured rice that DH bought, but itís not exactly nutritious, so itís a small part of recipes, but Iím prioritizing recipes that can use it up.

Yeah, I know that I can overall, but I'm talking about when things get too busy/hectic/stressful - on those days, I want to give myself permission to do things like buy a pre-made salad vs. just eating something carb-heavy and unhealthy I can make easily at home or getting cheaper but less healthy take-out.  Hopefully I'll be able to plan well and keep eating from my freezer (that's the main thing to tackle and is all fruits and veggies I froze last summer and local pork), but all of that takes a lot of planning ahead, so some days I'm guessing it's just not going to happen.  I just want my back-up plan to be healthy too.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2018, 06:23:33 AM »
Joining

About me: 193 lbs at 5'7". I was an athlete pre-pregnancy and weighed in between 150-160 depending on the season. Well, kid is 4 years old and I've lost zero of the baby weight while also losing all muscle mass and endurance through a via combination of health issues and emotional eating. My general pattern is to go yo-yo hard with different "hardcore" diets, so this time I'm going to try baby steps that prioritize creating patterns of healthy behavior instead. Instead of focusing on the week with a cleanse/X diet, I'm going to focus on things I know I can do for a whole quarter.

Goals: 1) Regain good weight lifting habits that will support weight loss and make my body feel less broken --> commit to lifting for a half hour 3 days a week for 3 months at the gym in my building
2) Lose 35 lbs at a rate of .5lb a week --> commit to using myDietCoach to log food BEFORE eating it and weigh in daily for 3 months

Methods will be re-evaluated at the 3 month mark and adjusted accordingly.

I started using the My Diet Coach App to log food and Happy Scale to log weight. These are my 4/5 attempts at using a logging software. My most recent was myFitness Pal, but wasn't a huge fan of it and it wasn't working for me for whatever reason so I thought I'd try again with something new. I like that My Diet Coach lets you get to the barcode scanner pretty quickly and has a 'motivational' section to help you remember why you're doing this. The gameification is nice, but I wish it was for something a little less... I don't know, silly? The getting points to get clothes for your avatar thing is odd. 

Happy Scale makes getting on the scale less terrifying for me by using moving averages to smooth out fluctuations and gives me an indicator that I'm still moving in the right direction.

I'm going to have to figure out a time when I can use the gym. I'm frustrated by how hard it is to get my body to do the things it used to be able to do and I don't want to struggle in front of my co-workers. My choices then are to find somewhere else to workout, suck it up and go in at 6am before anyone else gets there, or just accept that its ok that they see me struggle.

Eating better has been surprisingly easy. My hunch is that it's because it's been consistently below zero here and I don't work in the sky way anymore so there's no easy way to get food beyond what I brought.

I've lifted a couple of times, but substituted a Barre class for the 3rd work out. I really liked it, but I'm always shocked at how sore I am the next day from those classes because during them they don't feel that strenuous and I can go back to work after a lunch class without showering (i don't really break a sweat they're so low impact). But holy moly Batman, everything hurts today.

@Sun Hat Thanks for the tip! That's a good way to frame things.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:08:09 AM by asiljoy »

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2018, 06:42:57 AM »
I havenít weighed myself yet but I have been successful with no junk food snacking of any kind for three days now and have exercised for at least 10-15 mins a day which isnít much, but it is a start.

Sunday will be my weigh in day. This first week has been about reigning in my junk food and next week I will focus on portion control. I am looking forward to seeing the results of the week on Sunday. 

Hirondelle

• Stubble
« Reply #213 on: January 05, 2018, 06:55:54 AM »
So it's 3 PM here and I haven't had any snacks yet. Guess I should be able to make it to the end of the day pretty harmless.

For the whole past week I've done a 20-30 min yoga workout as well. The uni sports centre was closed, so other sports will start again Monday.

StarBright

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #214 on: January 05, 2018, 07:52:39 AM »
I usually weigh in "officially" on Fridays and log weekly until I hit my goal weight. Once I hit my goal I start logging monthly.

December 30: 145
January 5:      144

The thing I'm fighting right now are the sub-zero temps. When I'm cold, I'm hungry and a salad and a smoothie aren't cutting it right now. My daily walk is down to 20 minutes because of the temps.

I made a giant pot of sweet potato soup this week but it is not keeping me full. I'll switch to stock (or bone broth if I want to sound hip) this weekend. Animal fats totally keep me warmer and fuller.

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #215 on: January 05, 2018, 08:06:34 AM »
I realized I was struggling due to feeling cold too (and maybe knowing how cold it is outside). 

itchyfeet

• Bristles
« Reply #216 on: January 05, 2018, 08:16:06 AM »
So 5 days into  the new year and the mission is under way.

I really look forward to fronting up at my friends wedding in June in great shape.

I have exercised an hour every day so far. Mostly just walking but with some body weight exercises mixed in. I Hit the weights at the day today for my first ďhardĒ training session of the year. Iíll be sore tomorrow.

On the diet front. Zero alcohol so far, but it is only 5 days, and I have been very good with what I have been eating. Not perfect but close. Will aim for perfection tomorrow :-)

I have not got on the scales. I wonít. It will just play with my head.

I will just trust in the process.

Eat right and do a min of 1 hour walking a day. Iíll weigh myself in 3 months time.

Nightwatchman9270

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #217 on: January 05, 2018, 08:42:34 AM »
Three days into Whole30....already went from 201.4 to 194!!!

I know that won't continue, but it's nice motivation!

No booze, no sugar, no bread or any grains, nothing with any artificial ingredients, no dairy.  Going out to dinner tonight should be interesting.

Only exercise is Power90 plus an ab routine.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:45:23 AM by Nightwatchman9270 »

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #218 on: January 05, 2018, 08:44:29 AM »
What are the sparkling water brands people can recommend? I'd like to try a few to see which one tastes best to me.

For the cold - yeah, I skipped all workouts this week because my small gym is not insulated, so working out in 15 degree weather is super unappealing.  Of course this morning I realized I have T25 I borrowed from a friend and could have just been working out at home. 

I stayed under 1400 calories every day this week, so I will take that as a success.  Concerned about tonight, though.  Friends are coming over and bringing dessert for my birthday.  We will drink wine, too.  Trying to have the tiniest serving of dessert possible, and maybe saying my calorie goals today are 1800, to give me some wiggle room? If I just say screw it, I'll end up with 2800 calories.  Or I could say my food still needs to be 1400, but I can drink wine.  What do you guys recommend? Because I am definitely going over 1400 today.

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #219 on: January 05, 2018, 08:53:41 AM »
Lots of plans have a free day each week. Psychologically, it is suppose to help you not feel deprived or trapped, and therefore help you continue longer term.  Today could be your free day.

Is either wine or dessert a ďgatewayĒ to escalated eating or drinking? That would inform my decision on how to proceed.

Iíve got La Croix sparkling water right now.  But I have gotten Klarbrunn from Costco in the past. I think I may like the flavorless ones more.

StarBright

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #220 on: January 05, 2018, 08:57:48 AM »
What are the sparkling water brands people can recommend? I'd like to try a few to see which one tastes best to me.

For the cold - yeah, I skipped all workouts this week because my small gym is not insulated, so working out in 15 degree weather is super unappealing.  Of course this morning I realized I have T25 I borrowed from a friend and could have just been working out at home. 

I stayed under 1400 calories every day this week, so I will take that as a success.  Concerned about tonight, though.  Friends are coming over and bringing dessert for my birthday.  We will drink wine, too.  Trying to have the tiniest serving of dessert possible, and maybe saying my calorie goals today are 1800, to give me some wiggle room? If I just say screw it, I'll end up with 2800 calories.  Or I could say my food still needs to be 1400, but I can drink wine.  What do you guys recommend? Because I am definitely going over 1400 today.

I vote for eat/drink what you want and get back on track tomorrow. Birthday's should be celebratory and if that means dessert and wine to you then have at it! and Happy Birthday.

itchyfeet

• Bristles
« Reply #221 on: January 05, 2018, 09:05:47 AM »
Lots of plans have a free day each week. Psychologically, it is suppose to help you not feel deprived or trapped, and therefore help you continue longer term.  Today could be your free day.

Is either wine or dessert a ďgatewayĒ to escalated eating or drinking? That would inform my decision on how to proceed.

Iíve got La Croix sparkling water right now.  But I have gotten Klarbrunn from Costco in the past. I think I may like the flavorless ones more.

Also, I know from reading bodybuilding diets that zigzagging calories is useful when you hit a plateau. Have a high cal day followed by a few low cal days. Apparently it tricks the metabolism.(this could be urban myth. plenty of the out there).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #222 on: January 05, 2018, 09:22:23 AM »
I've lost half a pound, been getting all of my servings of fruit & vegetables, no alcohol/sugar & working out. I know it won't continue like this forever, but the core basics are in place & I can definitely keep that up!

LifeHappens

• Magnum Stache
  • Downshifting from 5th to 3rd Gear
« Reply #223 on: January 05, 2018, 09:42:49 AM »
I like plain mineral water or club soda with a lime or lemon wedge. I feel very fancy when I drink this :)

I really think an occasional free meal or even a free day is vital for maintaining a long term healthy lifestyle. Eat cake on your birthday if you want it. Moderation in all things, including moderation.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #224 on: January 05, 2018, 09:50:36 AM »
The thing I'm fighting right now are the sub-zero temps. When I'm cold, I'm hungry and a salad and a smoothie aren't cutting it right now. My daily walk is down to 20 minutes because of the temps.

I made a giant pot of sweet potato soup this week but it is not keeping me full. I'll switch to stock (or bone broth if I want to sound hip) this weekend. Animal fats totally keep me warmer and fuller.

I have the exact same problem and was actually just coming here to ask if anyone's having a hard time with hunger because of the extreme cold. I certainly am. This morning my commute was awful (thanks, random person, who chose this morning's rush to commit suicide on the train tracks; I am sorry for your depression but that was still shitty!). I take two trains to work every morning and had to wait outdoors with the wind blasting on me for about 20 minutes for each train. It was 1 above before the windchill. Arrived at work completely numb. I ate my morning serving of oatmeal - still STARVING. Just ate my daily snack - still STARVING.

I'd been doing better over the past couple of days with the incessant hunger that I've been fighting; I figured my body was FINALLY getting used to fewer calories. But today I am really struggling. The same amount of breakfast that was fine for me yesterday is like nothing today.

I don't eat animal fat (other than eggs and dairy). Usually what makes me feel full and warm is potatoes, but I've been trying to keep those to a minimum. There's only so much coffee and hot tea I can drink to keep warm.

I miss my daily lunchtime walks so much I could cry. I just can't do it in single digits. (On the plus side, I practically RUN to and from the train in the morning/evening so that I can get out of the cold faster - so, more calories burned? :) ) I have been doing daily yoga for more than a week, so at least I am getting some physical activity and strength training.

Zizzle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #225 on: January 05, 2018, 10:14:01 AM »
I'm in! After mostly hibernating this winter and not doing nearly enough exercise. my clothes have started to get a bit tight.

Starting weight: 70.3kg (I suspect this is a bit artificially high, but maybe not)
Goal weight: 63kg

I'll be using myfitnesspal and need to pick up the exercise again

nessness

• Stubble
« Reply #226 on: January 05, 2018, 10:43:18 AM »
La Croix curate (the kind that comes in small cans) is my favorite, but pricey. Sometimes they have it for a good price at Big Lots. All other brands, including the regular La Croix, are basically indistinguishable to me, so I generally go with what's cheapest.

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #227 on: January 05, 2018, 10:51:01 AM »
Thanks everyone! I did estimate out eating my normal dinner, dessert, and 5 drinks, and it clocked in at 2000 calories for the day, so not terrible.  Think I'll just go for it!

Also, never heard of La Croix Curate.  Will look for this!

StarBright

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #228 on: January 05, 2018, 10:57:40 AM »

I have the exact same problem and was actually just coming here to ask if anyone's having a hard time with hunger because of the extreme cold. I certainly am. This morning my commute was awful (thanks, random person, who chose this morning's rush to commit suicide on the train tracks; I am sorry for your depression but that was still shitty!). I take two trains to work every morning and had to wait outdoors with the wind blasting on me for about 20 minutes for each train. It was 1 above before the windchill. Arrived at work completely numb. I ate my morning serving of oatmeal - still STARVING. Just ate my daily snack - still STARVING.

I'd been doing better over the past couple of days with the incessant hunger that I've been fighting; I figured my body was FINALLY getting used to fewer calories. But today I am really struggling. The same amount of breakfast that was fine for me yesterday is like nothing today.

I don't eat animal fat (other than eggs and dairy). Usually what makes me feel full and warm is potatoes, but I've been trying to keep those to a minimum. There's only so much coffee and hot tea I can drink to keep warm.

I miss my daily lunchtime walks so much I could cry. I just can't do it in single digits. (On the plus side, I practically RUN to and from the train in the morning/evening so that I can get out of the cold faster - so, more calories burned? :) ) I have been doing daily yoga for more than a week, so at least I am getting some physical activity and strength training.

Tris - I have this problem every winter! And of course, because of mustachianism, I'm always trying to keep my thermostat low too.

Last feb or so I gave in and started using a space heater in my home office. I could either gain weight and save money or have a higher electric bill and lose the weight - I  chose the higher utilities.

I actually just got my space heater out of the basement this morning because I can't fight the cold and the food cravings anymore.

And since you are veggie - here is an awesome filling cold weather/healthy recipe:
http://heatheratwood.com/blog/tag/lentil-and-grain-chili-with-cucumber-raita/

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #229 on: January 05, 2018, 11:41:56 AM »

Tris - I have this problem every winter! And of course, because of mustachianism, I'm always trying to keep my thermostat low too.

Last feb or so I gave in and started using a space heater in my home office. I could either gain weight and save money or have a higher electric bill and lose the weight - I  chose the higher utilities.

Pfffft, I've completely given up on mustachianism re heat, in these conditions. The space heater is on daily in the evenings, and in the morning to warm up the frigid bathroom. I don't care any more. I tell myself it's for my very elderly cat (who to be fair is noticeably suffering in this cold when we don't run it). We can't control the heat in our apartment and don't pay for it, so there's no furnace to blast.

And since you are veggie - here is an awesome filling cold weather/healthy recipe:
http://heatheratwood.com/blog/tag/lentil-and-grain-chili-with-cucumber-raita/

That looks yummy! I am not a huge fan of lentils but mixed with the chick peas I think it'd be good. I've got a bag of lentils in the pantry that I need to use up (bought for a failed soup recipe. Yuck.)

ixtap

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #230 on: January 05, 2018, 11:53:46 AM »
Being cold plus having a cold have me all topsy turvy.

LifeHappens

• Magnum Stache
  • Downshifting from 5th to 3rd Gear
« Reply #231 on: January 05, 2018, 02:23:35 PM »
For those of you wondering if you can lose weight with little or no exercise: Exercise Won't Help You Lose Much Weight.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2018, 02:36:53 PM »
Hi all  - I'm having fun staying on the plan, and have successfully got all my xmas weight off - put in on in a week, take it off in a week is going to be my Xmas motto. And for next year, I will not eat so much at Xmas!

Now onto the more serious business if losing the 5kg I've basically been carry all last year - no excuses.

And I find it really interesting how people are so different; I'm in the no cake, or all the cake camp. I just can't do moderation with sweet things, no matter how hard I try. Even the really dark chocolate I can eat loads of.  So hence January is no cake, no chocolate and no alcohol -  had more than my fair share of all three in December, so I can't complain.

I'm keeping to MFP and logging everything; logging is quite easy as what I eat tends to be repetitive and I know I need to log to truly understand what I eat, and to get me questioning why I want to eat things.

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #233 on: January 05, 2018, 02:43:50 PM »
I'm in.

Some background:
In 2012 I hit my highest weight of 222lbs at 5'9". I got on track in September of that year giving up soda (hard but worth it), eating healthier, and attempting regular exercise. Over the next 8 months I got down to 182lbs. Then I stalled. Then I slowly gained and ended back at 195lbs in January 2016. I got back on track and by the end of 2016 I was down to 165lbs. But in 2017 I stalled again and ended up basically where I started (I haven't weighed for a few weeks but I'm 160-165). I have no idea what my ideal weight is, I've never been there as an adult, but I'm guessing I need to lose about another 20lbs (unless I get more into weight lifting)

For me, what I eat is 90% of the battle. If I stay on track I lose weight. If I stress eat chocolate covered peanuts, I don't. Exercise can help accelerate things if I'm on track with food (and help me stay on track so I don't waste my run) but if I'm not eating what I should be I do not lose no matter how much I'm at the gym/running/biking.

Right now my plan of attack is to give up sweets (I'm the type that can't eat just one so I have to eat none or I'll eat them all) and aim for 1600-1800cals/day. I'm not particularly active. I have a desk job and if I'm not trying to get extra steps I get about 5k a day, but I can still lose eating at that range. I want to exercise consistently too, but my food goals are my main priority.

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #234 on: January 05, 2018, 03:03:42 PM »

Right now my plan of attack is to give up sweets (I'm the type that can't eat just one so I have to eat none or I'll eat them all) and aim for 1600-1800cals/day. I'm not particularly active. I have a desk job and if I'm not trying to get extra steps I get about 5k a day, but I can still lose eating at that range. I want to exercise consistently too, but my food goals are my main priority.

I think that's a good target. I see some people trying to eat 1200-1400 cals/day and if that works for them, that's great, but I think it's very hard/probably not healthy to eat like that for the long term. Short term diets don't work for a lot of people. What makes you lose weight and keep the weight off is consistently making the right food choices. I think 1600-1800 is a realistic target if you're in it for the long term.

I try to eat 1800 cals/day and I lose weight. Only 0,5 / 1 kg a week, but I'll get there without feeling hungry or getting fed up and binge eating. I cycle 10km/day plus I exercise with weights a few times a week, but other than that I'm not particularly active (desk job).

SquashingDebt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #235 on: January 05, 2018, 03:47:36 PM »
La Croix curate (the kind that comes in small cans) is my favorite, but pricey. Sometimes they have it for a good price at Big Lots. All other brands, including the regular La Croix, are basically indistinguishable to me, so I generally go with what's cheapest.

I've had pretty much all the brands available in my area, and I agree that they are mostly indistinguishable.  The only one I ever really didn't like was the store brand's Mandarin Orange flavor.  Polar is my go-to brand for a compromise between lower cost and fun flavors.

Some favorites in case those can inspire you:

La Croix - passionfruit or mango flavors
Dasani - strawberry-guava or pineapple flavors

Apple_Tango

• Stubble
« Reply #236 on: January 05, 2018, 04:42:12 PM »

Updates in GREEN
Starting weight: 241 : 241
Starting pushups: 0
Starting mile pace: 16 min. : 15:35!
Starting bench press: 55 pounds : 60 pounds

Short term goals:
Goal 1: work out 4 days a week, an hour per day.  3 days per week
Goal 2: drink 8 glasses of water per day : around 4 glasses
Goal 3: eat 50 grams of fiber per day (fruits and veggies)
Goal 4: 14 min mile by July 2018
Goal 5: 220 pounds by July 2018

It's a lateral freeze down during the melt up.  Soon to be followed by the transverse falling bounce and the transient index inversion short, both of which are also strong sell signals in this buyer's market.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #237 on: January 05, 2018, 10:31:46 PM »
I'd love to join too. I have baby fat to get rid of now that baby is five months old. I'm down 32 pounds from my highest of this year but that includes an 8 lb baby too, haha. I still need to lose 18 lbs for pre pregnancy weight and another 12 for my marriage wedding and another 14 for my ideal weight. I joined in 2017 and found we got pregnant. Hope to finish 2018 at my ideal weight. First goal is to get to pre pregnancy weight by end of March. Second goal is to hit wedding weight by June and to hit lowest weight by end of year (the hardest stretch which I hope to attack with established habits). Let's bring it on!

Like the idea of goals - here are our goals for Jan:
1) 5000 steps per day
2) 6 stairs per day
3) one meal of veggies and fruits only per day
Updating after two days:

I've lost two pounds - I'm sure it's more water weight than actual one but I'll take it :) I've cut out all carbs except for a tiny portion. Surprisingly it's not been that hard to switch. I've also noticed that I eat more sweets now (and ate some ice cream and sweets for new year). I usually hate sweets but developed a liking for them during my second pregnancy and am still holding on to it six months later. Time to kick the habit back to curb. My routine is crazy and I don't have much leeway into building in exercises. The only exercise I get is carrying a 17 lb baby. Has anyone lost weight only with diet changes? How important is exercise in a weight loss journey?
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll concentrate on food changes till I can add more exercise in. I especially loved the suggestion to incorporate exercise into play and surprisingly my baby is loving it! I'm now trying to find more ways to add in fun exercise into daily routine.

My weight is down 3 lbs (mostly water weight because low carbs). I don't track my food but try to eat healthy (less carbs, more veggies and fruits) but looking at some of your meals, I think I just eat a lot. I've gotten used to eating more when pregnant (yep, fell for the eating for two advice.... not that I needed lot of encouragement)  and my stomach expects more food. Need to slowly dial down the amount to a normal person's portions.

Does anyone forget you are trying to lose weight? I completely forgot and ate a few cookies. Later when I was checking how I did at end of day, I realized I ate those cookies :( how do I remember all the time?
I'm still losing weight daily (goes to show how much crap I was eating before) but it has slowed down. My eating is still not good enough (I eat a serving of carbs at every course (and a bit more at lunch) and I eat ice cream or sweets because it is at home). My nemesis is sweets and ice cream. I can't resist it when it is at home and I can't stop others at home buying it. To add to the problem, I forget I'm on a diet and eat them. I'm considering figuring what I should eat all day and not eat anything not on that list. Will give it a try for a few days to see if I can continue losing weight.

SquashingDebt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #238 on: January 06, 2018, 05:48:30 AM »

[...]

I'm still losing weight daily (goes to show how much crap I was eating before) but it has slowed down. My eating is still not good enough (I eat a serving of carbs at every course (and a bit more at lunch) and I eat ice cream or sweets because it is at home). My nemesis is sweets and ice cream. I can't resist it when it is at home and I can't stop others at home buying it. To add to the problem, I forget I'm on a diet and eat them. I'm considering figuring what I should eat all day and not eat anything not on that list. Will give it a try for a few days to see if I can continue losing weight.

I definitely figure out my meal plans ahead of time and then do my best to stick to them.  The way it works for me is to have my standard smoothie breakfast, pack a reasonable lunch of leftovers and a healthy snack or two, and then when I have a few minutes at work, record all of that stuff and then plan my dinner to balance out the rest of the meals in terms of food types/groups and also stay under my calorie limit.  If I have a big dinner to go to or something, then I might work backwards and record the less-healthy dinner meal first, then figure out what I should eat for lunch/snacks to help offset it.

Hirondelle

• Stubble
« Reply #239 on: January 06, 2018, 06:05:52 AM »
So last night was a bit of a failure as I ended up going for Friday drinks with a bunch of co-workers. On the good (and more mustachian) side, I only  had 2 beers and got a sparkling water after. For food I just took a portion of fries while everyone else got large meals like burgers (with fries!). Calorie and health wise not the best day, but it was some good socialization.

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #240 on: January 06, 2018, 07:18:36 AM »
Goal: -12 lbs
Strategies:
* Sugar on weekends only (and not excessive)
* Fasting 1X per week
* Smaller portions (use smaller plates to help)
* Light on empty carbs
* No eating after 7:00pm (drink tea to curb cravings)
* Exercise minimum 3X per week (running & weights/kettlebells)

Some extra ideas (many taken from other's posts):
- Lemon water in the morning
- Lots of veggie soups w/ a lean protein

Update #1
* Food shifts are happening slowly, but eating up some items left in the cupboards first. I've made a list of healthy meals to inform my next trip to the grocery store.
* Didn't do my first "Fasting Thursday" because it was a snow day home from work (fasting is easier when I'm busy and distracted)
* Made an exercise schedule that includes 10 minutes of rigorous weight training (lots of squats) each weekday morning, running the 2 miles home from work 3X per week, and doing yoga in the evening 2X per week

Malkynn

• Stubble
« Reply #241 on: January 06, 2018, 07:24:44 AM »

I think that's a good target. I see some people trying to eat 1200-1400 cals/day and if that works for them, that's great, but I think it's very hard/probably not healthy to eat like that for the long term. Short term diets don't work for a lot of people. What makes you lose weight and keep the weight off is consistently making the right food choices. I think 1600-1800 is a realistic target if you're in it for the long term.

I try to eat 1800 cals/day and I lose weight. Only 0,5 / 1 kg a week, but I'll get there without feeling hungry or getting fed up and binge eating. I cycle 10km/day plus I exercise with weights a few times a week, but other than that I'm not particularly active (desk job).

Yep.
I lost weight eating 2000 calories a day when I was at my heaviest.
You can eat a fair amount, enough to be happily full, and still consistently lose weight if you have excess weight to lose. At my heaviest, BMI over 31, just the smallest improvement in my lifestyle resulted in consistent weight loss.

It starts being trickier when youíre already a healthy weight, but thatís a good problem to have.

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #242 on: January 06, 2018, 09:59:23 AM »

Yep.
You can eat a fair amount, enough to be happily full, and still consistently lose weight if you have excess weight to lose. At my heaviest, BMI over 31, just the smallest improvement in my lifestyle resulted in consistent weight loss.

It starts being trickier when youíre already a healthy weight, but thatís a good problem to have.
Yup, I went from a BMI of 33 to 24 (about 60lbs lost). It was definitely easier at the beginning because I could have more slip ups and still make progress. But I can still eat 1600-1800 calories and lose as long as I'm only actually eating 1600-1800 and not stress eating

Malkynn

• Stubble
« Reply #243 on: January 06, 2018, 10:34:34 AM »

Yep.

Yup, I went from a BMI of 33 to 24 (about 60lbs lost). It was definitely easier at the beginning because I could have more slip ups and still make progress. But I can still eat 1600-1800 calories and lose as long as I'm only actually eating 1600-1800 and not stress eating

I was definitely still losing eating 1600-1800/day at BMI 24, itís only once I got down to BMI 19-20 that I would need to eat under 1400 to keep losing, but thatís a very lean BMI so itís not like I need to.

Point being, I have never ever had to eat anywhere near as low as 1200 calories a day to lose weight.
I get light headed if I eat that little and Iím a small person now. It seems extreme for someone overweight to try and eat that little. It definitely doesnít sound sustainable.

Sailor Sam

• Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #244 on: January 06, 2018, 11:00:57 AM »
Yesterday was my leaving do at my current assignment. Donuts for breakfast, lunch out, and pizza for dinner. Not a vegetable in sight, but I still did really fucking great with portion sizes and waiting until I was hungry. Win.

wintertell

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #245 on: January 06, 2018, 11:34:28 AM »
I'm down from my post-Christmas high of 217, and I am so relieved. I weighed in at 212.8. That's within 10lbs of my lowest in early Nov 2017.

I am aiming for a 1lb/week weight loss, so that means mid-March before I get back to my lowest, but then only another month until I get below 200 in April!

It's annoying to basically be where I was in September, but two weeks ago I hit weights I hadn't seen since August -- all about perspective.

This year I am concentrating on:
- Aiming for 1900 calories or less/daily
- Getting 6k-10k steps a day, getting a gym routine started.
- 100 oz of water
- Wearing my Fitbit
- Tracking all food in MFP
- Meal planning every week, going to the grocery store right after and avoiding eating out.

Another big thing for me is cutting out emotional/stress eating - It's just not conducive to being a normal weight.

One day at a time. I am so relieved to have turned the slide upward back down.

Hirondelle

• Stubble
« Reply #246 on: January 06, 2018, 12:37:38 PM »
Have people here experimented with fasting? I was curious to try (not particularly for weight loss, but mainly for both mental and physical benefits I've heard people talking about) so I did a little experiment today, but I got very shaky around 2 PM. Does this mean it's just not for me or is the skakiness a stage you have to go through for a moment before it gets comfortable again?

Malkynn

• Stubble
« Reply #247 on: January 06, 2018, 02:47:11 PM »
Have people here experimented with fasting? I was curious to try (not particularly for weight loss, but mainly for both mental and physical benefits I've heard people talking about) so I did a little experiment today, but I got very shaky around 2 PM. Does this mean it's just not for me or is the skakiness a stage you have to go through for a moment before it gets comfortable again?

Iíve done a ton of reading on fasting because I had ulcers last year that werenít responding to medication and fasting was the only way to manage the pain. Which was highly effective btw.

From what I can tell, not everyone responds well to fasting, and the people who get really shaky and light headed often donít adjust.
You could try, and maybe start with shorter fasts, try and work your way up to an entire day if you want to, but donít be surprised if you are one of these people whose body needs food.

Me? I can skip a meal and not even notice as long as Iím hydrated and not doing anything too physical. Fasting for me is easy, and I still didnít like it.

Personally, I got no benefit from fasting other than controlling my stomach acid pain.
It made me feel kind of stoned, not mentally clear and actually triggered a few months of intense cravings for sugar, which wasnít fun since I had managed to get to a state for a few years where I no longer had non-hunger based food cravings.
Itís been about 5 months since I last faster and the stupid sugar cravings only dropped off about 8 weeks ago. That was frustrating because I had basically been sugar free and sugar craving free for several years.

Overall, I wouldnít recommend it.
Iím sure others have a different response and it might be great for some, but for me it just felt sickly.
I would DEFINITELY say that I think itís probably a practice best waited on until the person has already excellent eating habits and a healthy relationship with food where there isnít a sense of self deprivation already. I have a hard time fathoming how fasting could help someone have less food issues. Again, maybe some people do. Everyone is different.

Had I done it back in my early 20s when I was always starving myself on the latest fad diet, it could have been a very ugly psychological experience and caused a massive binge phase. Iím glad this trend didnít become popular until I had already mended my relationship with my body and with food.

Thatís just my personal experience and perspective. Feel free to ignore if itís not applicable to you.

brooklynmoney

• Bristles
« Reply #248 on: January 06, 2018, 05:00:47 PM »
So inspired by everyone's commitment! I lost 12 pounds last year, but a few crept back on. Want to lose those last 5-10 (10 is probably too much but a girl can dream). For those of you who are freezing like I am (65 on the thermostat and - degrees outside) some things that help me: Dance party in my house for an hour. I have an urban rebounder, so I do it on that, but you don't need one. For those with joint issues, the rebounder is amazing, fyi. It gives you a full cardio workout with zero impact. And it takes up v. little space (although not sure how my downstairs neighbors feel about it). Also, i drink a ton of herbal teas, but also hot water with lemon (and a little honey when I need something sweet).

jane x

• Bristles
« Reply #249 on: January 06, 2018, 08:58:03 PM »
Finished Day 2 of low-carb and came in at 30 carbs for both days and I'm shocked at how much higher carbs cabbage is than romaine.  3 cups each = 15 for cabbage and 3 for romaine.  Wow.  I really like cabbage and find it so much more versatile: it's great sauteed with evoo, added to salads for crunch, sprinkled into soup, etc... But if I keep it there's no way I'm going to make it down to 20 carbs a day without feeling deprived or hungry.

I'll pick up a kitchen scale next week, maybe if I weigh my food I'll be able to gain some wiggle room.