Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2016  (Read 459460 times)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
Re: Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2016, 10:26:51 AM »
I'm 5'6" female and currently at 156 lbs.  My scale skews a bit high but still... My weight has been creeping consistently up over the last few years (perimenopause anyone?).  I used to be a heavy drinker and the alcohol intake plus related unrestrained eating definitely contributed to the weight gain.  But I stopped drinking and have not had any alcohol since last summer.  Sadly, I replaced some of it with sweet snacks :-(

My goal for this year is to get down to 145 lbs by the summer.  I exercise fairly regularly and my basic diet is pretty healthy, it's just what I eat on top of the regular meals that gets to me.  So my plan of attack is:

- stick to 3 meals a day plus two snacks (mid-morning and mid-afternoon)
- snacks have to be of "no added sugar" variety - fresh fruit, nuts, nut butters, cheese
- no snacks/desserts after dinner
- continue regular workout routine of 3 workouts per week
- continue hiking on weekends if the weather permits, do yoga if the weather doesn't cooperate

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2016, 02:08:04 PM »
I'm joining in on this challenge, as well. I am a 4'11" lady (a rather subjective use of that term, in my case), weighing 133 pounds, which is considered overweight. I don't like the way I look in clothes or naked, and I'd like to lose this weight in the event ManSpice and I decide to have another kid. My goal is to get to 110, though I didn't look too shabby at 115. I wish 115-pound me would have thought so!

I do have a plan in place, it's just going to be a matter of actually doing the things I say I am going to do.
- Track food intake on MyFitnessPal (I'm on a 3 day streak!)
- Start 30 Day Shred this Saturday and do at least two rounds before moving on to another, sustainable physical activity
- Eat more vegetables and less fast food. Like, a lot less.

The only time I really have to work out - between attending to work and family obligations - is early morning. So, in order to start working out every day, I have to go to bed early every night, and get up ideally at 5:00 a.m., though 6:00 a.m. would be a good starting point. I am not a morning person (or an afternoon or a night person - why can't I just lose massive pounds by sleeping 12 hours a day?), but this is the only way it's going to get done, and I know that. So I'm going to do it.

I've read all the posts on this thread, and all of you are impressive as hell!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2016, 02:44:32 PM »
So, I had a really good week last week, managing to keep to two meals and a snack most days (keeping in mind that my snack might look like a meal to some here.) Then I went skiing for the weekend, and I bought a lot of convenience food to make sure I could keep going all weekend, plus rice pudding because it's my favorite and I figured I was working out for many hours each of those days.. Unfortunately, some of that came home. So the start of this week was not so good. I've just gotten back down to where I ended last week.

On the plus side, you did really good last week and there is downward movement. And, you managed to work off all the extra food you piled on over the weekend. No small feat - in the past, I would have just called it quits and gone on bingeing. Today is a new day!

Today, though, I had a meal replacement bar in the morning (trying to control calories for now), 2 cups of coffee, and just had an apple.  Lunch will be soup and salad and, if not, something healthy and light, and dinner I am planning on steaming some potstickers and making some mixed vegetables to go with it.  Then I will stick to have an orange or two for a snack. Today, I am determined to finish the day on a good note.

Thank you for the support, Elaine.  I think you are right, reporting here and being accountable will help a lot.

That sounds like a great plan! Keep those healthy snacks near at hand and remember to drink whenever you get a cravings for something bad.

Please stop taking your dog on your walks elaine amj !

ROFL! He never looks particularly excited about going for walks. I wonder why?

I'm joining in on this challenge, as well. I am a 4'11" lady (a rather subjective use of that term, in my case), weighing 133 pounds, which is considered overweight.

I do have a plan in place, it's just going to be a matter of actually doing the things I say I am going to do.
- Track food intake on MyFitnessPal (I'm on a 3 day streak!)
- Start 30 Day Shred this Saturday and do at least two rounds before moving on to another, sustainable physical activity
- Eat more vegetables and less fast food. Like, a lot less.

As another short person (I'm barely 5ft), welcome! I'm on a 3 day streak with MyFitnessPal too. So far, so good! With 30-day Shred, your basically doing a 20 min workout each day? it looks good!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 02:49:57 PM by elaine amj »

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2016, 08:24:51 PM »
After how good I felt this afternoon - this evening was a struggle. Kids were eating pizza and their leftover crusts looked soooo good!! I had one tiny sliver of DH's spinach pizza...and when I calculated it in MyFitnessPal later - that alone was 110cals. I battled cravings the rest of the evening. This time though, I did something different. I admitted my cravings to DH. (Usually, I keep my diet triumphs and struggles from him - to make it easier to secretly binge eat, I think). He encouraged me to reach for fruit. I ended up eating some fruit and half an avocado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2016, 04:09:07 AM »
After how good I felt this afternoon - this evening was a struggle. Kids were eating pizza and their leftover crusts looked soooo good!! I had one tiny sliver of DH's spinach pizza...and when I calculated it in MyFitnessPal later - that alone was 110cals. I battled cravings the rest of the evening. This time though, I did something different. I admitted my cravings to DH. (Usually, I keep my diet triumphs and struggles from him - to make it easier to secretly binge eat, I think). He encouraged me to reach for fruit. I ended up eating some fruit and half an avocado.

Good for you Elaine.  I did reasonably well yesterday.  No sweets, but I did have almonds as a snack after dinner (definitely not necessary as I wasn't hungry!)

My task for today, figure out what the right portion of nuts is when I snack.  Most likely 1 oz?

1 oz of almonds is 163 kcal
1 oz of walnuts is 185 kcal

These are the two varieties I eat quite often.  I have a scale so I will weigh them today!

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2016, 04:47:43 AM »
I did pretty good yesterday, although,mi did have a few things I could have avoided. My only sweet was a small lollipop.  I consider yesterday a win.   I never keep logs or write things down but yesterday I started too.  I think it will make me really see what I have throughout the day and I can make changes from there.  It was hard later that evening but I held out.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2016, 02:13:12 PM »
Count me in! I matched my highest weight ever before the new year; which was where I was before I got pregnant back in 2012. I didn't have pregnancy or breastfeeding to deal with, and I knew something had to change.

My stats:
5'2"
Beginning weight (1/1/16): 182.8
Weight on 1/8/16: 176

My weigh in days are Fridays, but I have been getting on the scale daily. My moving average is decreasing, which helps when I see a 2 lb fluctuation from day to day.

The biggest changes I made were to cut out sugar and limit my alcohol to 2 drinks/week. I started following the clean eating principles and have been having great success. I haven't even been having sugar cravings, which was a major issue last time I started eating this way.

Best of luck to everyone, and it looks like y'all have been having some great results so far!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2016, 02:35:54 PM »
The biggest changes I made were to cut out sugar and limit my alcohol to 2 drinks/week. I started following the clean eating principles and have been having great success. I haven't even been having sugar cravings, which was a major issue last time I started eating this way.

That's awesome that you haven't been having sugar cravings! It's nice that you're seeing some great positive movement.

My task for today, figure out what the right portion of nuts is when I snack.  Most likely 1 oz?

These are the two varieties I eat quite often.  I have a scale so I will weigh them today!

I'm curious as i have never taken the time to weigh stuff - but on average, how many nuts is in 1oz?

I did pretty good yesterday, although,mi did have a few things I could have avoided. My only sweet was a small lollipop.  I consider yesterday a win.   I never keep logs or write things down but yesterday I started too.  I think it will make me really see what I have throughout the day and I can make changes from there.  It was hard later that evening but I held out.

I've always hated logging stuff too. Not entirely sure I will be able to sustain this - but 4 days in and so far, so good. When I was battling last night's cravings, thinking of having to come in here and report it made me pause. My DH gave me the rest of the push I needed.

Maybe I need to start another habit hack and go work out if I get a craving at night or something? I still get my late night cravings, but so far, it's been too much of a hassle to get out of bed to go eat. Plus been sleeping a touch earlier 12/12:30am, which has been helping. Hoping to inch that to going to sleep at 11/11:30pm - which again will help since I binge the most when nobody is around to see.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 02:40:58 PM by elaine amj »

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2016, 03:48:17 PM »
I'd like to join as well.

Another shorty here. 5' 8" male.

Goal was 185.
Stretch goal is 180. Reason: That was the weight I was in the best shape ever at 30. Industrial league hockey 2xweek, shinny 2 x week running 15-18 miles a week, weights, rock-climbing yadda yadda yadda

(Now I'd be happy not to see my chins wobble when I talk...)

Nov 1  - 201lbs.
Jan 13 - 188 lbs.

I will check in as and when my spreadsheet tells me I am due for a weigh in.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2016, 03:55:26 PM »
Sure, I'm in.  I'll probably eat less.  Exercise more.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2016, 04:16:47 PM »
Elaine,

1oz of almonds = 28 almonds (roasted no salt from Aldi)
1 oz of walnuts = 12 halves (fresh, 2015 crop from my parents' walnut tree)

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2016, 04:51:57 PM »
I'm in!

I'm 5'4" and going from 157 to 142 tracking macros instead of calories. With tracking calories I tend to eat more processed food but with macros I focus on a ratio of protein, fat, and carbs. Same coin/different side.

I started two weeks ago and am at 154, so that's good progress.

So for this nut question - I count 15 grams of fat for a serving which is a little more than 1/4 cup for cashews.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2016, 08:40:07 AM »
Good day yesterday diet-wise, but I overslept this morning and ended up not going to the gym.  Will do some walking at lunchtime.  Weight down by  0.8 lb this morning :-) 

I'm going to clean out and organize the pantry over the weekend.  I want to get rid of any vestiges of holiday excess and see if I need to replenish any staples. 

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2016, 09:19:49 AM »

That's awesome that you haven't been having sugar cravings! It's nice that you're seeing some great positive movement.

Maybe I need to start another habit hack and go work out if I get a craving at night or something? I still get my late night cravings, but so far, it's been too much of a hassle to get out of bed to go eat. Plus been sleeping a touch earlier 12/12:30am, which has been helping. Hoping to inch that to going to sleep at 11/11:30pm - which again will help since I binge the most when nobody is around to see.

I find if I drink some water and find something to distract myself, more often than not the craving goes away. Getting a good night's sleep is really important to weight loss. I find myself craving carbs and sugar a lot more if I'm sleep deprived.

Also, if you are eating single servings of whole foods, generally speaking, the calorie count takes care of itself. Just be sure to amp up the fruits and veggies, which provide very few calories for large servings. For example, half of a 5" sweet potato is only 56 calories.

This week was another good week. I'm 2.6 lbs down, bringing my two week weight loss to 9.4 lbs!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2016, 09:16:00 PM »
@oneday at home, I keep apple cider vinegar in a squirt bottle and add a squirt to each glass of water. It's really good and replaces any cravings for juice. Plus it's healthy. We also often squeeze a fresh lemon into our water. My fave though is sparkling water - but it's a big treat for me since I refuse to pay for it. I loved it when I was traveling in England and it was priced just the same as regular bottled water!

Apple cider vinegar?  I'll have to try it this weekend.  Or just fruit-infused water...I bought an infuser pitcher a while back but barely ever used it.  Will have to dust that off!  Thanks for the idea.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2016, 09:20:05 PM »
In. So, so in. 5'10" and in 2011 I weighed over 300 pounds! Now in November, for the first time in almost a decade, I'm back under 200.

Way to go!  That deserves a celebration.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2016, 10:08:11 PM »

I'm curious as i have never taken the time to weigh stuff - but on average, how many nuts is in 1oz?

I've been eating almonds for years now...about 12 almonds is 1 oz.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2016, 10:10:20 PM »
Elaine,

1oz of almonds = 28 almonds (roasted no salt from Aldi)
1 oz of walnuts = 12 halves (fresh, 2015 crop from my parents' walnut tree)

OK, I guess I am wrong.  Will have to break out the scale tomorrow & weigh 12 almonds...I'm guessing 1/2 oz.

That's enough out of me.  Almost.

I'm still too embarrassed to post weight here.  However, I have tried weighing myself daily to see if that gives me extra motivation.  It seems to be working.  I have had second thought several times about dubious eating choices.  Weight was initially hovering in the x to x+5 range.  Now I'm hovering around x-2 to x+2.  That's a 3-lb drop in the highest weight I'm seeing...nice!  And motivating.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 10:15:03 PM by oneday »

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2016, 11:30:08 AM »
1/2: 246.8
1/9: 243.8
1/16: 243.2

As you can see, I had a quick drop the first week, then not much the second. I assume that a bunch of that was water weight and the substantive fat loss was less, but I'm still on my 1.5 lb/week target. It may just mean I have to work a little harder this next week. I had a lot of stressful stuff going on this last week, so I'm hoping I can keep to it better this coming one. However, it could also be hard because I'm traveling for school. That means 5 days of hotel breakfast and eating out. Also, I won't have my scale with me (although maybe I actually should take it; it'd be a shame to derail now.)

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2016, 08:50:18 PM »
Been struggling so far this weekend *sigh* Had friends over on Friday night and although I tried really hard - still managed to eat about 300 cals more than I should. Although I should acknowledge that I had just ONE pan fried dumpling and ONE slice of veggie pizza. Enough to put me over the edge though:(

Then today when I was home alone, I binged again on my snacks. I didn't try my water hack or my other usual techniques.

I also currently have a bottle of champagne in the fridge with one glass left in it. Struggling with not wanting to waste it. Ugh. I am already well over my calorie limits today. Plus, just baked mini cheesecakes with my DD today so I will be having one tomorrow. And I didn't work out yesterday (other than my 12 min XBX strength training) and it's already 11pm so I don't want to do my cardio today either.

Going to have to pick myself up and do better tomorrow. I will NOT let a couple of bad days turn into more years of bad decisions.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:56:39 PM by elaine amj »

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2016, 02:05:29 AM »

Then today when I was home alone, I binged again on my snacks. I didn't try my water hack or my other usual techniques.

Oh, I'm way, way too familiar with the late night snack binge! The worst part is that (at least for me) it's also a terrible set-up for the next morning. I don't know about you, but I wake up absolutely ravenous the next morning if I eat late at night. I'm hoping I should be pretty safe from the late-night binges this coming week as I'll be in a hotel. Having said that, I trade that for the dangers that come with eating out @_@  Wish me luck!

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2016, 04:42:41 AM »
Been struggling so far this weekend *sigh* Had friends over on Friday night and although I tried really hard - still managed to eat about 300 cals more than I should. Although I should acknowledge that I had just ONE pan fried dumpling and ONE slice of veggie pizza. Enough to put me over the edge though:(

I also currently have a bottle of champagne in the fridge with one glass left in it. Struggling with not wanting to waste it. Ugh. I am already well over my calorie limits today. Plus, just baked mini cheesecakes with my DD today so I will be having one tomorrow. And I didn't work out yesterday (other than my 12 min XBX strength training) and it's already 11pm so I don't want to do my cardio today either.

Going to have to pick myself up and do better tomorrow. I will NOT let a couple of bad days turn into more years of bad decisions.

Yup, I just had a couple of terrible days too.  Just terrible, but I am doing a restart today. You are smart not to give up, I am not giving up ever.  On a good note, all of those dark chocolate almonds are gone.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2016, 10:42:24 PM »
@yuka I find it super hard to diet when traveling for work. That said, this will be good practice for you for lifelong portion control. U can do this!!

I did much better today. Had the mini cheesecake for breakfast lol. My DD isn't too happy with it though - I used a Weight Watchers recipe and it's not sweet enough for her lol. We experimented with several toppings today but nothing has worked out yet.

As for my calorie tracking, I actually ate way under my limit - guess I made up for the binging on Saturday!

I tried a new recipe for an eggplant and zucchini stew. DH liked it - but I found it very blah. Super low in calories though, which was really nice!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2016, 04:44:07 AM »

I haven't done too well over the last few days either.  I did avoid buying or eating sugary things, but all in all I ate way too much... 

We had lunch out at work on Friday - a rare treat for me since I don't eat out as a rule. I ended up eating way too much.  On Saturday, I was finishing up some leftover chili and ended up eating more than I really needed to.  And yesterday I baked bread and cooked a large batch of lamb stew.  Both were really delicious and I ended up eating more than necessary...

So next step in my plan:  PORTION CONTROL!!!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: January 18, 2016, 07:18:40 AM »
THRILLED! I started last Monday at 153.2 lbs and this morning I weighed in at 149.6 lbs!! I know it's mostly water weight - but it's a huge win for me. Not sure if I lost anything the week before since I didn't start weighing myself until a week into this whole thing.

Reporting here on a daily basis has been really, really helping me. I usually fall off the bandwagon very quick - but forcing myself to be honest here has made a huge difference in my motivation levels. Also, this time, I'm reaching out to my DH for help. Normally, I hide it all from him because I don't want to be honest when I binge.

I haven't done too well over the last few days either.  I did avoid buying or eating sugary things, but all in all I ate way too much... 

We had lunch out at work on Friday - a rare treat for me since I don't eat out as a rule. I ended up eating way too much.  On Saturday, I was finishing up some leftover chili and ended up eating more than I really needed to.  And yesterday I baked bread and cooked a large batch of lamb stew.  Both were really delicious and I ended up eating more than necessary...

So next step in my plan:  PORTION CONTROL!!!

I have always sucked at portion control. A few months ago I tried to eat only canned soups and frozen dinners since I never measured anything even halfway accurately. That didn't last more than a week or so though since I was still left with the dilemma of how to count calories when I cooked at home or whatever. Using MyFitnessPal and doing my best to be accurate has been forcing me to see my portions. I don't think I'm that great yet - I'm pretty sure I'm still underestimating what I eat. I was not happy to discover that 1/2 of a boneless skinless chicken thigh is what one serving of meat really looks like. But, it's SO much better than what I used to be. Next step for me will be a digital kitchen scale. I am going to have to buy one to get a lot more accurate.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 08:21:01 AM by elaine amj »

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: January 18, 2016, 07:37:20 AM »
Wow great job Elaineamj! I'm not posting every day but I am following along with you. I'm right about the same place as you are...measured 149.2 this morning. Woohoo! We can do this!!

francophile

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: January 18, 2016, 09:00:08 AM »
I'm in. I'm pretty much at my highest weight ever and generally do not feel good about myself. None of my clothes really fit right either.

5'7" female, 181 lbs, 31 years old.

Goal is 135 to hit my optimal weight. Right now doing some workout videos and yoga at home, and banishing all meals out. More healthy vegetarian meals at home, much less booze, and as little dairy and sugar as possible.

I started this year off crappy in all respects after losing my beloved cat on January 3rd, a day before my birthday. Expenses and comfort eating abound. But I feel ready to do some good for myself and my wallet. All about the personal progress this year.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2016, 09:11:39 AM »
My week two was a disaster.  After doing so well week 1 and being down 3.8lb, I am up 3.3lb the second week.  There was just too much stress happening last week (child and medical related) and I didn't manage it well.

On the positive, after my weekly weigh in on Sunday morning I am back on the plan and so far been doing really well with my breakfasts and lunches pre-planned for the rest of the week and decent dinner options at home. 

Hopping for a good week and hope all of you have a good week as well.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2016, 11:10:01 AM »
You are all kick-ass inspiring!

I kept up with my running this week, even on the cold days. -17C was the worst one. I've just started week 3 of the C25k program, so it's not too bad. On the really cold days I don't bother with the full 5 min 'warm up' because I'm usually colder after walking awhile.

As for food I've been doing ok since I started tracking calories, except for this Saturday! I went to a party and there was soooo much delicious junk food. I was way over my calorie limit, but I kept tracking it anyway.

Monday check in:

Jan 4 Starting weight: 160
Jan 11 weight: 156
Jan 18 weight: 155.2
Goal weight: 130

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2016, 11:59:34 AM »
I started this year off crappy in all respects after losing my beloved cat on January 3rd, a day before my birthday. Expenses and comfort eating abound. But I feel ready to do some good for myself and my wallet. All about the personal progress this year.

The money aspect has been what got me to get serious about this. I was just reading somewhere else that it might help to look at calories as money. I figure that since we are such a money-conscious group of folks - this may really help. Give yourself a "calorie budget" and figure out how best to spend it. A few facepunches along the way may help :)

On the positive, after my weekly weigh in on Sunday morning I am back on the plan and so far been doing really well with my breakfasts and lunches pre-planned for the rest of the week and decent dinner options at home. 

Pre-planning has really really helped me. you can do this!

As for food I've been doing ok since I started tracking calories, except for this Saturday! I went to a party and there was soooo much delicious junk food. I was way over my calorie limit, but I kept tracking it anyway.

That's awesome that you continued tracking through a bad week. I'd be thinking of hiding my head under the covers and giving up. This is a fresh week :)

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2016, 12:19:44 PM »
I'm in. I'm 5'4 and was 147-148 for most of 2015. I got down to about 145 in the fall by being stricter about eating, and after the new year got as far down as 139, but am back up to 141. After the new year I'd been being super strict about food -- no processed foods, no alcohol, very little meat, but went out with friends for food/cocktails a couple of days in a row and bumped back up to 141 after that. My goal is 135 (maaaaaybe 130) but I need to evaluate how I can make habits sustainable -- i.e., cutting out alcohol and meat indefinitely is not something I'm interested in right now.

I am pretty fit and physically active already, so there are not huge changes to be made there except for maybe incorporating more cardio (my primary workouts through the fall have been rock climbing, yoga and aerials, all of which I am also continuing because I really enjoy them). I feel like I really am in the last stretch now of weight I want to lose, which is tough.

Plans
1. Transition to black coffee. I already do this at work, I can do it at home.
2. No processed cereal -- plain oatmeal with add-ins.
3. Being proactive about cooking batches of healthy food on the weekends for lunches.
4. Running 2x a week in addition to other activities.

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2016, 12:38:05 PM »
@francophile - I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. Be kind to yourself.

I had a great week overall last week, but the weekend kicked my ass. I was counting Friday night as a loss because we had some friends over, and the next morning - on which I had planned to start working out - I woke up sick with a head cold and nasal drip. Lovely.

So, I didn't work out as planned, BUT, I'm feeling better and know that I will be physically able to work out tomorrow morning, so that's when I will start. We just got back from grocery shopping, in which we utilized a meal plan - we are set for healthy, easy meals all week and will have absolutely no excuse for breaking down and buying fast food.

Weight Progress:
- 1/10: 133 pounds
- 1/18: 131.8 pounds

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2016, 01:28:21 PM »
@Microspice The meal planning is awesome. i always feel better when I do that. I've been spending time on skinnytaste.com and really like her recipes.

@peppermint The whole sustainable thing is a good question. Having friends over on Friday also busted my diet plans. This is going to take some figuring out - because I want this to be a permanent life change. And yet, I really enjoy my food. Just like I don't want to feel deprived on a low spend lifestyle, I don't want to feel deprived on a low cal lifestyle. Maybe it's a matter of learning to enjoy new types of food and enjoy smaller portions. Maybe I don't need to eat a massive plate of my favorite dish - maybe an appetizer portion or splitting my meal will taste just as good and be satisfying? And even better - this could save some serious $$ when we we eat out!

I just read this comment in the myFitnessPal forum and it really resonated: Most importantly, I started eating the way I imagined the thinner me would eat with regards to portions and types of food. 80% healthy and 20% indulgence.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 01:30:55 PM by elaine amj »

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2016, 01:31:47 PM »

I just read this comment in the myFitnessPal forum and it really resonated: Most importantly, I started eating the way I imagined the thinner me would eat with regards to portions and types of food. 80% healthy and 20% indulgence.

Love it!

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #134 on: January 19, 2016, 07:53:38 AM »
1/2: 246.8
1/9: 243.8
1/16: 243.2

As you can see, I had a quick drop the first week, then not much the second. I assume that a bunch of that was water weight and the substantive fat loss was less, but I'm still on my 1.5 lb/week target. It may just mean I have to work a little harder this next week. I had a lot of stressful stuff going on this last week, so I'm hoping I can keep to it better this coming one. However, it could also be hard because I'm traveling for school. That means 5 days of hotel breakfast and eating out. Also, I won't have my scale with me (although maybe I actually should take it; it'd be a shame to derail now.)

I used to do a lot of traveling for work, too - about 1 week every month! I would struggle because I was 'dining out' and I never paid any attention to what I ordered - why would I? It didn't count! I finally had to change my mindset from "I'm traveling/on vacation" to "I'm temporarily living elsewhere."  One thing that helped was to make sure I had a refrigerator and a microwave in my room. I would then go shopping for yogurt, fruit, oatmeal, and soups that I could prepare in my room. Not only was it fewer calories, but it was less temptation and allowed me to bank my daily food allowance. HTH!

I struggled this weekend, too. A friend moved back to town after living away for over 4 years; we did a lot of catching up and a lot of drinking. I definitely broke my 2-drink/week goal. I think I will count it against my 'allowance' for the next couple of weeks and see how it goes. Food wise, the sugar cravings have yet to manifest themselves; I hope it remains that way. I'm a complete sugar addict. Once I have some, I can't stop myself.

*Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 08:03:43 AM by Geostache »

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2016, 08:39:13 AM »
I want to join in too. I had a baby last year and lost weight upto 140 lbs but crept back up 148 lbs sure to holidays. Ugh!!

I'm 5.5 and would like to weigh 130 (anything lower would be a bonus) at end of 2016. More importantly, I don't exercise now (long list of reasons/excuses). I want to find an enjoyable and workable exercise with my current schedule so I can become fit.

I'm currently at 146 and know I can reach 140 with just dietary changes. After that I plateau :(

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2016, 08:59:04 AM »
I used to do a lot of traveling for work, too - about 1 week every month! I would struggle because I was 'dining out' and I never paid any attention to what I ordered - why would I? It didn't count! I finally had to change my mindset from "I'm traveling/on vacation" to "I'm temporarily living elsewhere."  One thing that helped was to make sure I had a refrigerator and a microwave in my room. I would then go shopping for yogurt, fruit, oatmeal, and soups that I could prepare in my room. Not only was it fewer calories, but it was less temptation and allowed me to bank my daily food allowance. HTH!

I like the "temporarily living elsewhere" mentality. Our family travels...a LOT (often once a month). I love it. But when we travel, we eat out and I pig out a lot on really bad foods. And I also travel for work - and free food = massive temptation.

I have been looking at myself and wondering how on earth I let it come to this. I have always had a few extra pounds, even as a teen. Throughout my teen years, I was always the fat girl (I was about 120lb with an ideal weight of about 100-110lb) since 80% of my friends were all skinny. Or at least - I looked at them as skinny (they always felt about 5lbs or so over ideal). Just before college, I got more serious and dropped about 5 lbs so I felt pretty good through my college years. Then, I got married, got pregnant and the babies came. Eventually, I said that I felt fine at about 130lb and told myself I'd be OK at this weight for the rest of my life. However, every year or two, the weight would creep up. 130lb became 140lb. And now, at only 36, I hit 153.6lb and was officially obese!

How can I be OBESE? I can cycle for 5 hours, I can make it through an 8hr adventure race, I can canoe for 3 hours at a time, I can go for 5 hour hikes. How is this even possible? I'm realizing that the reality is - I am staring at this impossibility whenever I look in the mirror.

I HAVE to make this change and I have to make it last. This is not the life I want for myself. I want to go on long bike rides, I want to be outdoors. I want to FIRE and live my dreams, I want to grow old and be the wacky grandma still cycling, hiking, and living life to the fullest. I want so much for my life and I cannot keep lying to myself that what I eat has no effect on what I want for my life.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2016, 09:20:38 AM »
I have not been doing great, but, YUP, this MUST stop.  Yesterday, I had a fairly decent day and I will continue it now - REALLY.  I literally cannot fit into my pants/skirts and I almost went and bought bigger sizes over the weekend but just refused.  Well, not really refused, but I don't want to allow myself that and have room to grow.  Plus, the way I have been eating, I can feel the heartburn (not fun) and I have been taking tums the last few days.  Uh, NO!!!  I will not live on tums and my body is telling me something so finally it is time to listen. 

I have known I cant eat like I use to when I was younger for a very long time now, but I refuse to realize the reality.  Well, this past weekend, I think it sunk in. 

I don't like what I see and I certainly don't like how I feel.  TIME TO CHANGE!!!

I exercised on my rebounder for 20 mins and I did about 15 kettlebell swings last night.  It is time to take this seriously.  I want to lose this extra 15 I seemed to have acquired, but more importantly, it is time to get fit.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:17:08 AM by alleykat »

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2016, 02:22:38 PM »
Nov 1  - 201lbs.
Jan 13 - 188 lbs.
Jan 18 - 187 lbs.

Goal 185 lbs.
Stretch 180 lbs

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2016, 03:40:41 PM »
Erg. It helps to see other people are struggling. I was doing great. Down 4 pounds the first two weeks. Then the anxiety really amped up and the whole thing went down the tubes. I eat junk (sweet processed carbs) when I'm stressed.

I swear gluten/wheat causes me to have nearly uncontrollable anxiety attacks (which of course result in eating sweet processed carbs..vicious cycle...). My oldest child has celiac so I could be sensitive (or celiac myself since I also get GI issues when I eat processed foods). I've never been tested and don't have good insurance/money to do so at this point. Due to needing gluten free for the little one, I had been off gluten for a couple of years. I started eating it again when money got tight. I already have a cow dairy allergy (had good insurance at that point).

I keep toying with the idea of going back to gluten free but the expense makes me reluctant. Ugh!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2016, 04:05:52 PM »
Erg. It helps to see other people are struggling. I was doing great. Down 4 pounds the first two weeks. Then the anxiety really amped up and the whole thing went down the tubes. I eat junk (sweet processed carbs) when I'm stressed.

I swear gluten/wheat causes me to have nearly uncontrollable anxiety attacks (which of course result in eating sweet processed carbs..vicious cycle...). My oldest child has celiac so I could be sensitive (or celiac myself since I also get GI issues when I eat processed foods). I've never been tested and don't have good insurance/money to do so at this point. Due to needing gluten free for the little one, I had been off gluten for a couple of years. I started eating it again when money got tight. I already have a cow dairy allergy (had good insurance at that point).

I keep toying with the idea of going back to gluten free but the expense makes me reluctant. Ugh!

Well, the above post is finally getting me to put my two cents in. I have been following this thread with great interest, and more than a little sadness.

I DO NOT MEAN TO BELITTLE ANYONE'S PROGRESS!! But I keep seeing the same cycles play out in multiple people's posts and while drastic change can be uncomfortable at first, it is so.so.so much better then the endless cycle of: "I did good then blew it, I binged and felt guilty, I was so good and then fell off the wagon..."

"Diets" Counting Calories and all the other crazy things we do to ourselves rarely make you go face to face with the emotional, physiological, phycological and addictive issues that arise from our food choices. If you don't sort those out, no matter what you do, you will keep living through the same vicious cycle. I have spent more time in it then I would like to think about. I have lost so much of my life.

Mongoose, the Whole30 is a good way to figure out what you personally can't tolerate, and doesn't require the super expensive tests (or subjecting yourself to gluten for long periods of time) to figure it out. I discovered that a gluten/wheat sensitivity was responsible for my Fibromyalgia symptoms. Since then I have experimenting with lots of gluten-free things, and you know if you are not buying prepared gluten-free breads and products (that come with their own issues) it isn't really more expensive.

Here is the thread for some of us MMM'ers who are doing it, check it out if you are interested we are a hugely supportive bunch :) http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/whole-30-starting-sept-8th-want-to-join-us/

Wishing you all success no matter what system you find works for you!

tecmobo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2016, 05:22:54 PM »
Excited to get started with this. Male, 30, 6'0, currently about 208 and looking to get down to 180. My struggle has always been with snacking and dessert, so I'm trying the following two rules:

1) All snacking must be fruit or vegetables

2) No alcohol or dessert on weekdays (legitimate special occasions excluded)

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2016, 05:28:31 PM »
Since then I have experimenting with lots of gluten-free things, and you know if you are not buying prepared gluten-free breads and products (that come with their own issues) it isn't really more expensive.

Here is the thread for some of us MMM'ers who are doing it, check it out if you are interested we are a hugely supportive bunch :) http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/whole-30-starting-sept-8th-want-to-join-us/

Wishing you all success no matter what system you find works for you!

I appreciate the suggestion. I don't buy prepared gluten free products but I do bake my own gluten free (bread and a few cookies etc. on occasion). By processed foods I meant ground flour and the homemade products that come from it. I also bake almost all of my wheat bread and products too. I can make loaves of wheat bread for less than $0.75 each using higher priced flour. The absolute cheapest I can get gluten free flour that I am comfortable with is $3.50 per pound. I know my oldest child definitely can't have wheat so the priority has been on making sure her diet is optimal.

I have done the Whole30 before and loved it. But I have never found a way to end up with meat and vegetables for less than wheat flour and beans. Due to a series of circumstances and decisions, I currently am trying to feed my family of 4 on $300 per month. That has to cover every meal for every person. I have looked extensively for whole30 or paleo on a food-stamp level budget but the blogs and comments I've found have higher budgets than that or space to grow their own food or have farmers markets nearby. Cheap eggs are out too as anything other than organic farm eggs give a couple of us migraines (no idea why but this has been the subject of a blind test). Locally, that prices a dozen eggs around $3. We also do not eat pork.

I will ask over on the Whole30 thread too. But if anyone has a link for meal planning for Whole30 or paleo on the super cheap, I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise, I am trying not to go over budget and have been eating wheat bread to reduce costs. I'm stopping that as of today. I'm looking at the slow carb type of food to see if we can make that work with our budget.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2016, 06:15:43 PM »
With weight loss, I have always known that the math is simple.

-- If you consume less calories than you use, then you will lose weight.
-- If you consume more calories than you use, then you will gain weight.

However, the solution of how to actually implement it is quite complex. As swick mentions, a huge part of the solution is emotional in nature.

It's only been less than 6 months since I started to get serious about weight loss. Here is what has worked for me.

Calories in: I do not count my calories on a daily basis. Most of the meals I eat are fairly repetitive. I use myfitnesspal website to determine how many calories are present in a serving. I also used the MFP site to determine what my net caloric intake should be.  While I do not religiously track calories on a daily basis, I do occasionally look at how much I'm eating. Diet wise, the biggest change has been smaller portions. I still mostly eat the same things as I did before. I still eat junk and fatty foods (potato chips, pizza  etc.) occasionally but again watch how many calories it contains. 

Calories out: Have been exercising fairly consistently. Most of it is running/jogging/walking using interval training.  I know you are supposed to do High-Intensity but mine are more moderate intensity. Have been averaging about 15+ miles every week. My average speed has been 4 miles per hour. As you can see, it is pretty slow.

Weight Loss: Here are my numbers.  Male -- age upper 40s, 5' 5".  Small build but have had a tummy since forever that I wanted to get rid of.

07/01/2009 --  150 lb

For the next six years it has hovered between 145-155 lbs.

06/15/2015 --  150 lb
07/26/2015 --  145 lb

08/10/2015 -- Actively start  watching calories and become more active

11/05/2015 --  134 lb
11/26/2015 --  130 lb
01/14/2016 --  128 lb
01/18/2016 --  126 lb

Still losing weight but more slowly. I was losing about 1 lb a week in the first couple months after I became more active. This has decreased to about 0.5 lb per week over the last couple of months. This is more understandable since I have gotten fitter. When I started, my resting heart rate was in the upper 70s/low 80s. Now it is down to the low 60s. When I notice the  weight start to plateau some more, I will start to ramp up to High-Intensity. Not there yet. 

My original goal was to get rid of the tummy. That tummy has certainly decreased but it is still present :( But going in the right direction. :)  I was hoping that at 130 lb it would be all gone.  But that's not the way fat loss works.  To be honest, I think I would be happy at 150 lb if I did not have that paunch.

Another thing that helped me is to have a partner to do this journey with. Otherwise, I personally would not have had the discipline to stick with it.

My goal for 2016: Get down and remain at or below 120 lb by June 2016. This is going to be challenging but maybe doable.

I want to wish everyone success  in this gauntlet.   

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #144 on: January 19, 2016, 07:19:25 PM »
I agree about the emotional tie linked to eating.  I have a problem with snacking and desserts more when I am stressed, depressed, etc.  I have always loved snacks, sweet or salty, so it is twice as hard to give it.

This is my second decent day and exercised to boot, however, I have to really kick up exercising.

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: January 19, 2016, 09:09:10 PM »

I like the "temporarily living elsewhere" mentality. Our family travels...a LOT (often once a month). I love it. But when we travel, we eat out and I pig out a lot on really bad foods. And I also travel for work - and free food = massive temptation.

I have been looking at myself and wondering how on earth I let it come to this. I have always had a few extra pounds, even as a teen. Throughout my teen years, I was always the fat girl (I was about 120lb with an ideal weight of about 100-110lb) since 80% of my friends were all skinny. Or at least - I looked at them as skinny (they always felt about 5lbs or so over ideal). Just before college, I got more serious and dropped about 5 lbs so I felt pretty good through my college years. Then, I got married, got pregnant and the babies came. Eventually, I said that I felt fine at about 130lb and told myself I'd be OK at this weight for the rest of my life. However, every year or two, the weight would creep up. 130lb became 140lb. And now, at only 36, I hit 153.6lb and was officially obese!

How can I be OBESE? I can cycle for 5 hours, I can make it through an 8hr adventure race, I can canoe for 3 hours at a time, I can go for 5 hour hikes. How is this even possible? I'm realizing that the reality is - I am staring at this impossibility whenever I look in the mirror.

I HAVE to make this change and I have to make it last. This is not the life I want for myself. I want to go on long bike rides, I want to be outdoors. I want to FIRE and live my dreams, I want to grow old and be the wacky grandma still cycling, hiking, and living life to the fullest. I want so much for my life and I cannot keep lying to myself that what I eat has no effect on what I want for my life.

If you're using BMI to calculate normal weight, overweight, and obese, then stop. Especially since you are able to do all of those things!

BMI is a misguided measurement. Body fat % would be a better metric. I get so stuck on BMI too since my health insurance premium is tied to my BMI, and it hovers between normal and overweight despite my activity level and clothes size.

On another note, I'd love to hear more about that adventure race!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: January 19, 2016, 10:23:55 PM »
If you're using BMI to calculate normal weight, overweight, and obese, then stop. Especially since you are able to do all of those things!

BMI is a misguided measurement. Body fat % would be a better metric. I get so stuck on BMI too since my health insurance premium is tied to my BMI, and it hovers between normal and overweight despite my activity level and clothes size.

On another note, I'd love to hear more about that adventure race!

I don't currently have any way to calculate body fat so BMI is all I have to go with at present. Regardless, I am at a ridiculous weight for my height and bone structure. About 40-50lbs over ideal weight (ugh - it sounds horrible in those terms). I'm starting to inch into size 14 clothes and all the scale has done for the last few years is creep upwards. If I keep doing what I was doing, it will not be pretty.

Overall, I'm feeling really good about what I am doing. It's only been a couple of weeks, so very early days yet to know whether I will stick - but this time feels different from every other time I've tried before. Not entirely sure why this time is different, but somehow it is. I finally feel ready and am committed.

As for the adventure race - I found it crazy - both mentally and physically. But I've done it for 2 years now and am doing it again in June! You form a team of 2-3 people and cycle, canoe, and hike for 6-8 hours. It's a race so it really gets our competitive juices flowing. When I do my big 100km bike ride, at various points, I can get into a groove and zone out. In an adventure race, you have to orienteer as well and chart your own course. So you have to be very mentally alert, which is also draining.

@rightflyer you're almost there! It must feel amazing to know you are so close.

@rpr I love seeing those numbers go down!

@cutenila For me, what has been working was to start slow and easy with beginner workouts to give myself plenty of easy wins. 2 weeks later, I am increasing the intensity of my workouts slightly, gradually choosing more challenging videos. It keeps me from getting frustrated and giving up.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2016, 07:15:37 AM »

"Diets" Counting Calories and all the other crazy things we do to ourselves rarely make you go face to face with the emotional, physiological, phycological and addictive issues that arise from our food choices. If you don't sort those out, no matter what you do, you will keep living through the same vicious cycle. I have spent more time in it then I would like to think about. I have lost so much of my life.

Ain't that the truth! I followed WW for about 6 months back in 2005-2006. I lost about 35 lbs, but I always felt deprived and I never addressed my stress eating. I was obsessed with what I ate, whether it was 'in points,' etc. As soon as I stopped following WW, the weight crept back on.

This time around, I am not counting calories at all, but focusing on eating whole foods, controlling my portion sizes, and my mental health. Interestingly enough, I focused on my mental health first (dealing with some serious anxiety), and the eating took care of itself. I'm also not putting any food on the 'restricted' list. I haven't wanted refined sugars or carbs, so I just haven't eaten them. But if I want cheese or a fatty cut of beef (or alcohol), I'll eat it in normal portions. I'm also trying to not beat myself up if I 'slip up.' But since nothing is off-limits, I haven't really felt like I've slipped up.

The biggest challenge is to not give up! It seems like most of you are keeping on with keeping on, which is great!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2016, 07:42:31 AM »

Ain't that the truth! I followed WW for about 6 months back in 2005-2006. I lost about 35 lbs, but I always felt deprived and I never addressed my stress eating. I was obsessed with what I ate, whether it was 'in points,' etc. As soon as I stopped following WW, the weight crept back on.

This time around, I am not counting calories at all, but focusing on eating whole foods, controlling my portion sizes, and my mental health. Interestingly enough, I focused on my mental health first (dealing with some serious anxiety), and the eating took care of itself. I'm also not putting any food on the 'restricted' list. I haven't wanted refined sugars or carbs, so I just haven't eaten them. But if I want cheese or a fatty cut of beef (or alcohol), I'll eat it in normal portions. I'm also trying to not beat myself up if I 'slip up.' But since nothing is off-limits, I haven't really felt like I've slipped up.

The biggest challenge is to not give up! It seems like most of you are keeping on with keeping on, which is great!

I like the way you are going with this! I'm counting calories a lot right now - I ordered a digital kitchen scale last night to start weighing my food. My DH was vehemently against my spending the $10 for something like that - but I really need to get a clear understanding of what normal should look like. I am eyeballing and estimating - and just don't feel like I am accurate. I don't intend to count calories forever - but I think it will take me a few months to really learn what my normal should be. I'm trying my best not to obsess over times I slip up, but to be honest about it and then work on adjusting my habits.

The great part is - I am not feeling deprived! But I am learning to eat just one mini cheesecake (instead of 3 or 4 at a time). And I am learning that while it's OK to indulge, it really needs to be "once in a while". I'm learning to cook skinnier meals. I eat junk out of habit (so I am working on habit hacking) and also when I get upset/annoyed. I have to figure out a healthier way to deal with things when I am upset - maybe a bubble bath? (at least i can't eat in the tub!). Also I have decided I need to start building up a calorie deficit during the week so that it is perfectly ok when I eat a little more on the weekends/dinners out with friends, etc.

Did a higher intensity workout last night (still very much at the beginner level), which was hard, but felt good. Weight is now down to 148.4 (from 153.6) but trendweight says it is more like 151.3lbs. Love seeing the downward movement!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 07:47:18 AM by elaine amj »

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2016, 09:58:22 AM »
Weight down to 143.8 despite my attempts to sabotage it by binge eating Nutella (my bane) all day. I don't understand why I feel the urge to choose sweet stuff when I know I shouldn't be doing it. Any ideas? :(

Elaine, Thanks a lot for the suggestions for exercise. My problem is two fold - I need to find the time to exercise and find an easy enough exercise to encourage me. I'm going to see if I can squeeze a walk in my lunch break today. Baby steps!

Hoping I have a better day today with regard to eating. I want to eat as clean as possible. I don't follow any diet or count calories but try to reduce sugar from diet because of the spike and how ravenous it makes me feel after eating. Here's to a reduced sugar day!!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!