Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2016  (Read 459567 times)

yuka

• Bristles
Losing Weight in 2016
« on: January 02, 2016, 04:52:51 PM »
When I couldn't find this thread, I figured it was about time someone started it!

What are your goals, methods, motivations, and deadlines?

There's some great stuff in the 2015 thread especially in the final page's posts (Dollarbill!!):  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/losing-weight-in-2015/msg910056/#msg910056

Someone linked an article that appeals to me in the end of the 2015 article, suggesting daily weighing and moving average calculations. Here's the article https://medium.com/technology-liberal-arts/the-data-diet-how-i-lost-60-pounds-using-a-google-docs-spreadsheet-80adce62cf5c#.pij41yzhj and here's the spreadsheet: https://drive.google.com/previewtemplate?id=0AiqPelI3OIXCdGhieGI3UGxNaVM4MWh4VnliUGd3TkE&mode=public?id=0AiqPelI3OIXCdGhieGI3UGxNaVM4MWh4VnliUGd3TkE&mode=public.  Changing the first date to 2016 should effect the same change in the whole page (and I changed the tab name to 2016 for myself.)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 05:09:37 PM by yuka »

yuka

• Bristles
Re: Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 05:10:07 PM »
For myself, I'm  6'0" and 246.8 lb. I'm at a pretty bad place with my fitness; running more than about 2.5 miles makes my lower back quite tight, and I'm sure I'm not going any faster than about 8.5 minutes per mile. But my weight is where I want to focus. My goal is to lose 1.5 lb per week until I reach 185. Most importantly is keeping that target pace  through the middle of September, which is the time of my wedding.  That would put me at 190-195 by September; I've looked good weighing as much as 210, but that was when spending 2-2.5 hours working out daily. I've done calorie counting before, but for me it makes my whole process less fault-tolerant, so I'm more likely to derail. This time, I'll be skipping that. My calorie deficit should be 750 daily for 1.5lb/week, so a good guess for ideal intake is 1500-1600.  My consistency will be sticking to my egg breakfast sandwiches (2 eggs, 1 slice bacon, half piece cheese, english muffin) which runs about 350 calories, and shooting for 500 in each of lunch and dinner, with the remainder being a beer or glass of wine while I work in the evening. My lunches are a piece of fruit, some carrots, and one of several stews that I make in large quantities for leftovers. I always want breakfast, but lunch and dinner sometimes don't happen. Outside of breakfast I avoid anything as processed as, or more processed than, bread. My general rule is that my tea and canned goods should be the only colorful packaging I buy.
I had been doing twice-daily weigh-ins for the same goal of reducing noise in my measurements, but for the sake of the trend I appreciate that once daily achieves the same thing; that's what I'll be doing in the future.

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 05:46:55 PM »
As a general observation, it's abnormal to be of normal weight. And those who are overweight aren't overweight through choice. Yet, as time goes by, even with all the articles, weight loss businesses, commercials, etc., as a nation we'll keep getting fatter.

No matter what, if one eats what Americans eat, one will end up looking like most Americans.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 12:59:07 PM »
I'm officially in.

5'6" female.

5 years ago I was 188 pounds, my highest ever. After a 7 year relationship breakup I spent the next 18 months with a sole priority of losing weight. I got down to 124, and hovered around 130 for a few years. I was VERY careful to maintain that weight because I didn't want to have to fight to lose it again, and I know how easy it is to creep back up. I'd crept back up to 138 a few months ago, and then due to a series of fortunate events realized that my motherfucking asshole scale was getting old and worn out and had been lying to me increasingly over the last 6 months to a year. I wasn't 138, it was closer to 155 by the time I realized it. 2015 was a shitty year dealing with suicide and grief and I didn't have the energy to maintain much of anything besides life. Among that and other excuses, here I sit at the end of the holiday season at 160 pounds. Yikes. I threw out my scale a few months ago and just used my friend's to see what damage has been done the last couple months.

Darling boyfriend is currently buying me a new scale.
Ultimate goal weight is 130.
By the end of the year I need to be at 135, stretch goal for 2016 is 130.

I've done it before, I can do it again. The hard part is that this time I have so many other priorities in my life to manage together.

Jschange

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 01:33:51 PM »
I'm in. I'm 5'1 and put on almost 20lbs last year. My goal is to lose 25. I got one of those fitbits over Christmas, and am seeing just how sedentary I'd become.

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 01:39:35 PM »
I wanted to lose 10-15 pounds before getting pregnant and I did two things:
- cut out liquids other than water and black coffee
- cut out my top two calorie guilty pleasures: Oreos and microwave popcorn

Within a couple months I'd lost 13 pounds, and I decided that was enough. Now I'm back to cream/sugar coffee (but less sugar than I used to have) and having Oreos/popcorn once a week or so (instead of every day or every other day), and I'm maintaining my lower weight. I didn't try to change my exercise patterns, but changing my food/drink intake worked wonders. Much easier to fix the "input" part of calories than the "output" part, I've found.

This year I'm going to work on the "output" part to get healthier, not just skinnier. I'm going to do 30 min of cardio exercise 3x/week and meditate every day even if it's just for 5 minutes. Good luck to everyone, you can do it!

CynthiaL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 01:51:19 PM »
I'm in!  I'm a 5'3" female, and my weight as of 1/1/16 was 220 lbs.  I was up to a high weight of 300 a few years ago, but dropped 95 lbs over the course of about 2 years.  Last year I plateaued then started regaining again.  I've been good at working out, but the old eating habits have crept back.  By the end of this year I'd like to be 175 lbs or less, with an overall goal in 2017 of 150 or less.  So far I want to get the following steps in place to make this happen:

--Keep a food/exercise journal. 

--1800 calories or less per day.

--Eating out 0-1 time per week (should also save me money).  When I eat at a restaurant, I seldom pick a healthy option.

--Quit drinking soda.  I was drinking 1 can a day of regular soda; I quit in early December and need to stay quit.

--Quit drinking calories.  Besides the soda, I had been drinking a lot of hot cocoa at work because it is free.  And it is chocolate.  --

--Workout 5 times a week (30+ minutes each).  I canceled a gym membership recently due to the cost.  I have workout DVDs and an elliptical machine at home and have started making good use of them, but the 'home workout' isn't a firmly-placed habit yet.

--Walk 20 miles a week.  This will be tough until spring, but I do walk on my lunch breaks during the week (1.6-2.5 miles each day) and do longer walks (5-8 miles) on weekends.

Thanks and good luck everyone!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 01:54:14 PM »
I'm in too. 5'2" female. Currently at my heaviest ever, 153 lbs (up 20 lbs from 1 year ago wtf?!) and just realizing that I'm old and weight doesn't just fall off and I can't just eat whatever I want to anymore.

By far my biggest issue is nighttime snacking and 'rewarding' myself for a hard day of work by eating a bunch of junk.

My goal for the year is to get down to where I was a year ago, about 135 will be satisfactory...anything less than that a bonus. More importantly, I need to get healthy, and not be so easily winded running up a flight of stairs or jogging to my car in the rain.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 02:57:44 PM »
Count me in.  I am 5' 5" and 153.  I would like to get down to 140.

I am not really not eliminating anything but will try and cut way back on junk food.  I don't really have a deadline but if I don't lose a few in 3 months, then I will need to buy bottoms.  I am barely fitting into my biggest size. 

As someone else said, I want to get fit and healthy not just lose the weight.  To me, they are two different things.  I am starting to exercise and I just signed up for a month of hot yoga.  Want to see how I like it. At best, it will help me kick start exercising.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 11:01:50 PM »
I'm in too. 5'2" female. Currently at my heaviest ever, 153 lbs (up 20 lbs from 1 year ago wtf?!) and just realizing that I'm old and weight doesn't just fall off and I can't just eat whatever I want to anymore.

By far my biggest issue is nighttime snacking and 'rewarding' myself for a hard day of work by eating a bunch of junk.

My goal for the year is to get down to where I was a year ago, about 135 will be satisfactory...anything less than that a bonus. More importantly, I need to get healthy, and not be so easily winded running up a flight of stairs or jogging to my car in the rain.

I'm 5ft and about 150lb or so (I have refused to weigh myself for a couple of years now). It is absolutely dreadful when my ideal weight is really about 110lb or so. Like you, my biggest problem is binge eating.

I get into moods where I just stop caring and then hunt down the most unhealthy things possible (an entire bag of Cheetos or 2lb of chicken wings and scarf them down in one sitting. I don't really know how to stop myself ...but I know something absolutely has to change.

To top it off, my body is starting to fall apart and I am only 36. Right now I have an elbow and a knee injury and I am super frustrated as they prevent me from being as active as I like to be. I love hiking and cycling for hours. I have to start training soon as i am participating in a 100km (60miles) bike ride. I do this ride every year (which is how I injured my knee last year) and I just need to get better already so I can train.

I find I can often sustain the physical activity levels - but have never been able to successfully control the food intake - which means I don't lose weight even when I am cycling 2+hours 4-5 days a week for 2 months. So my focus this year will have to be food. (Particularly to quit the binge eating).

My DH is dangling a carrot in front of me. We have enough for me to retire. Neither of us wants me to retire to bum out on a couch getting even fatter. So the deal is - I can FIRE once I get down to a healthy weight. I really want to beat this. Unfortunately, I tend to sabotage myself. Not a half hour ago, I sneaked out of bed to binge on half a bag of caramel corn. Ugh.

Got to put it behind me and start tomorrow as a fresh day where I will make good choices. I am going to try to keep posting in this thread to keep myself accountable - to celebrate good choices, and admit to bad ones.

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 07:56:55 AM »
Joining for some additional motivation.  Currently 152 and want to get to back to 137.  Planning to do this through combo of intermittent fasting and better habits. DH and I have fallen into bad habit of late night snacking while watching TV.  Not good. Last night it was pop-tarts!! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 10:07:44 AM »
My weight loss goal for 2016 is to lose 15 lbs, with a stretch goal of 25 lbs. 25 would get me to the lowest weight I've been since college. By the end of 2017, I'd like to lose 30-35 lbs. To do this, I need to get my snacking under control, since that has been the main driver of my weight gain in the last couple of years.

On the overall fitness side of things, I have two marathons and four half marathons currently on my calendar. I plan to run at least 1000 miles for the year and do strength training of some sort at least twice a week.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 11:49:10 AM »
I'm in! I have a hs reunion (not sure if I'm going), a wedding, and I just feel shitty. I was in great shape last summer and I fell off the wagon over a stressful fall semester.

Family has a history of poor health and I don't want to follow that trend.

I don't own a scale since I become too obsessive :( I go by how my clothes feel and body looks.

27, female, 5'5", maybe around 160-165. I go to the gym 2-3x a week and eat like shit. I am going to try to do some sort of modified Whole30/paleo thing... mostly focusing on higher quality food and cutting out a lot of extra sugars and carbs.

beantown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 12:13:31 PM »
In as well. At the highest weight of my life. Stats: 5'6", 146 pounds, size 8-10. I'd like to get back down to 130 and be more fit again. It's been hard this half year with starting a job that requires me to travel 4 days a week, but I'm ready to tackle this again.

Has anyone used dietbet before? I'm thinking of signing up for a month to help motivate and kickstart this for the year.

living_la_vida_mi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 12:40:32 PM »
Me too! 5'2, currently at 156lbs. I am 40 and have a 3 month old baby (my second). My goal is to lose at least 10kg (22lbs).

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 01:13:13 PM »
I'm 5'11, really more like 5'10-1/2", and about 210. I felt way better at 180 or so, but I'd be happy to split the difference since I have more muscle now and really struggle to lose weight despite being fairly active.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 01:16:24 PM »
I'm pretty sure its psychological, because my food intake hasn't changed that much so far this morning compared to recent mornings, but I feel like I could eat an entire pie! Just the fact that I know I'm trying to eat less makes the hunger worse, even in the mornings when I'm usually not hungry to begin with.

Annoying. I remember last time I was at this stage and the first 3 days of carb cravings were the hardest by far. 2.5 days to go, then it'll get easier. Right?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 01:51:31 PM »
I am 5'5" tall and this morning I weighed 162. I am 59. I would like to weigh 140 by the end of the year. I'm in.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 02:01:36 PM »
I'm in - I'm 5'1 wearing a size 14
Right now I bulge out of size 14 and it ain't pretty. Eating too much for supper and eating sweets at night is my problem, caramel, chocolate you name it, in fact I started eating cookies and other sweets during the day for the past three months and even drinking beer at night. Who the hell does that and thinks it will not show up on their belly and hips?
I am so disgusted with myself right now I could spit nails.

My plan:

Reduce amount of food at supper time

No food past supper - usually 6pm

Eat more raw foods - apples and spinach and carrots and raspberries

Drink herb tea instead of alcohol at night - I do like mint and chamomile tea. I will start drinking raspberry leaf tea - a recommendation from the diet doc to help lose weight for the pear shapes:)

Make a big pot of cabbage soup - I have a favorite recipe from an old diet book, that tastes good and does help lose weight.
Add sauerkraut and yoghurt to my diet and fix all that lettuce and chard growing in the garden now.

Have a look at exercise classes in my area - sign up for two of them

Dig up my pilates CD and start doing a workout every day

It finally got cold here - 65 degrees - perfect for bike riding and walking. Getting out my camera and visiting all the local parks and beaches within reach.

Get a step counter so I know how much I really walk - maybe there is an app for that??

Drag the scale out of the closet and weigh myself once a week

Since I am going through all of this trouble anyway I will shoot for fitting into a size 12 again, but for now I want to feel comfortable in a size 14. May or may not set a weight goal, if I weigh more than 165 I will shoot myself.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 02:22:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure its psychological, because my food intake hasn't changed that much so far this morning compared to recent mornings, but I feel like I could eat an entire pie! Just the fact that I know I'm trying to eat less makes the hunger worse, even in the mornings when I'm usually not hungry to begin with.

Annoying. I remember last time I was at this stage and the first 3 days of carb cravings were the hardest by far. 2.5 days to go, then it'll get easier. Right?

I feel your pain! I've been thinking of food aaaaaallll day - and this is only the first day!

I'm in - I'm 5'1 wearing a size 14
Right now I bulge out of size 14 and it ain't pretty. Eating too much for supper and eating sweets at night is my problem, caramel, chocolate you name it, in fact I started eating cookies and other sweets during the day for the past three months and even drinking beer at night. Who the hell does that and thinks it will not show up on their belly and hips?
I am so disgusted with myself right now I could spit nails.

My plan:

Reduce amount of food at supper time

No food past supper - usually 6pm

Eat more raw foods - apples and spinach and carrots and raspberries

Drink herb tea instead of alcohol at night - I do like mint and chamomile tea. I will start drinking raspberry leaf tea - a recommendation from the diet doc to help lose weight for the pear shapes:)

Make a big pot of cabbage soup - I have a favorite recipe from an old diet book, that tastes good and does help lose weight.
Add sauerkraut and yoghurt to my diet and fix all that lettuce and chard growing in the garden now.

Have a look at exercise classes in my area - sign up for two of them

Dig up my pilates CD and start doing a workout every day

It finally got cold here - 65 degrees - perfect for bike riding and walking. Getting out my camera and visiting all the local parks and beaches within reach.

Get a step counter so I know how much I really walk - maybe there is an app for that??

Drag the scale out of the closet and weigh myself once a week

Since I am going through all of this trouble anyway I will shoot for fitting into a size 12 again, but for now I want to feel comfortable in a size 14. May or may not set a weight goal, if I weigh more than 165 I will shoot myself.

Fellow short girl here - it's so frustrating to look at the mirror and not like what you see. This is the most I have ever weighed in my life and it is awful. Been fooling myself thinking I could never be quite this bad. I'm getting perilously close to being considered obese. And I KNOW I have a ridiculously high percentage of body fat. It's time for change to happen.

This is the first time I have tried weight loss with the support of a group thread - I'm going to try posting regularly, cheering any small successes and being honest about any failures.

Today, I eyed the Christmas chocolates floating all over my office and have resisted. I do need to get rid of the mug of chocolates sitting on my desk tempting me. It's still wrapped up, which helps.

For breakfast, I had plain yogurt with granola. Less than an hour later, I was hungry again - so I ate a few grapes. I ate my lunch a lot later than I like (3pm) which I know doesn't help. Still, I had my can of low-cal soup and some more grapes. An hour later, I started craving something again, so I ate one dried prune (the only semi-healthy thing I have stashed in my drawer). I am making pork chops for tonight's dinner and my goal will be to CONTROL MY PORTION SIZE and NOT go back for seconds (or thirds or fourths). Gotta repeat the mantra - size of a deck of cards, a deck of cards, a deck of cards! (that's awfully small, isn't it?)

Wishing all my weight loss buddies good choices today!

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 03:48:04 PM »
After failing miserably last year I am back on the diet train. Planning to lose 10 kgs, about half a kg every week. I'll do 2 day fasting in the next 4 weeks to get me started. (Starting next week when I'm back to work).I did that in December to prep for Christmas and I was doing surprisingly well. I just have to break the habit of constant snaking and reduce the portions, the rest is ok, I have a reasonably healthy diet and the party season is over. I managed to build up my strength and fitness last year by going to the gym and walking an hour every day, that was the biggest achievement really, I was unbelievably unfit. At least I don't collapse after a 40 min walk any more.

Starting @ 82 kg. Size 14.

This weeks challenges:
I'm writing a list of correct portion sizes next and pull out the kitchen scales before serving food.

No snacking before lunch. 2 soup lunches this week. It's carrots and red lentils today:)

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 04:19:59 PM »
I'm 5' 4" and on my official January 1 weigh in, I was 195 lbs, which is extremely difficult to actually own up to. My goal is to be back down to my "wedding weight" of 140 lbs by the end of the year. I wasn't happy at that weight either, but I look back at pictures and think I look great. So far my strategy is:
  • Using the MyFitnessPal app, set at losing 1 lb/week.
  • Finding healthier alternatives to some of my favorite recipes.
  • Stopping my Diet Pepsi addiction. I've started having a canned seltzer or two per day and that's helping.
  • Starting with the 30 Day Shred video for the first month.
  • Participating in Dietbet to literally put my money where my mouth is.

But honestly none of this will be helpful in any way if I can't get my sugar/chocolate addiction under control. I'm definitely a binge-eater to the point I'm nervous to talk to my doctor about it for fear it's in eating disorder territory.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 04:31:04 PM »
@Cookie   Seriously. I felt my stomach grumbling this morning and I literally said to myself out loud, "Get used to it, this is what it's going to be like from now on!" It at least made me feel like I was doing something right!

@elaine How did you do today? Stick with it, I know you can! When in doubt...go to bed early. That's going to be my philosophy.

I'm on myfitnesspal too with a long distance friend of mine and we have started watching what each other eats to stay accountable. It's really great. We both lost weight with it a year ago but then just quit and just restarted. PM me if anyone wants to be friends and I'll give you my username.

Girlwithaplan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 05:14:12 PM »
I think I need to get on this too! Sugar is my nemesis! Posting to follow and will come back later with a bit of a plan.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 07:42:17 PM »

If you have an iPhone, the health app automatically calculates your steps, assuming you have your phone on you while you walk around!

RonMcCord

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2016, 09:23:03 PM »
I've already signed up to the Strength and Fitness 2016 challenge, but weight loss is a big part of my goals so I might as well sign up here.  I'm 5'8, was 150 in high school, got up to 180 in college, bought a suit for job interviews, then after several months I was about 210-215 and I couldn't fit into it anymore.  I really didn't like the way I looked and realized I needed to make changes.  I started working out, cut out snacks and drank more water and in six months got down to 175 and can fit into the suit again (pants are a bit tight though).  I still have a slight gut and I'm still not entirely happy with myself, so I got a vivofit2, a couple fitness apps, and I'm planning to get down to 145.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2016, 09:58:45 PM »
@Ron Kudos for your successes so far! Love to hear of things that are working for folks.

@Lanthiriel Sugar is a brutal one. I love sweet stuff, especially in my food!

I still don't have a definite plan of attack, but am proud to report that so far I have made good choices tonight. I ate my deck of cards portion of pork chops, then gnawed on the bones (after I cut up the meat for my family) to help me feel better. I will admit that when my daughter left two mouthfuls behind, I scarfed it up. When I got hungry later (what else is new?), I peeled an orange rather than reaching for the popcorn.

I didn't do any workouts tonight like I had planned though. Not sure if I should do a short 15-20 min workout now...or just go to bed. One of the things I am resolving to do is go to bed by midnight (which is now) as my late night binges are the worst. Hmm...I think I will go to bed. On the good side, my husband will be thrilled. He went to sleep a couple of hours ago already and is not a fan of my night owl tendencies.

So how did everyone do today?

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 12:32:00 AM »
@elaine: oranges > popcorn ☺

Joining! Already working on cutting back or eliminating soda, plus jogging. The plan is to keep developing the plan as I go.

Like others here, I'm at or near my highest weight ever and am fed* up with myself. Too embarrassed to admit the number in public. Y'all are brave! I will say that I am sure I have surpassed my lifetime quota of fast food meals. It's my albatross.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 12:59:45 AM »
I'm also on the track of trying to lose weight and feel better.  I've realized that it's the long term that counts and even though the body is a complex system, I basically concluded that for me, now:

• Weight depends largely on what I eat.  Exercise don't really matter
  • Feeling good, energetic and productive is largely dependant on that I exercise and meditate.

Given my job and life situation, I'm working with some habit hacking to get my exercise done and to not fall off the wagon and eat junk.

My two biggest problems when it comes to food is that I too often frequent resturants with a great social atmosphere but three beers and all those french fries to the food really make a mark on my body and also that I've got a bit of a sweet tooth.  Breaking the social cycle which leads to bad eating is hard.

I'm on my way though, I've lost 4 kilos (9 pounds) since august, and it keeps going in the right direction.  The plan is 10 kilos (22 pounds) more during 2016.  No quick fixes - long term change.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2016, 07:23:50 AM »
I'm also on the track of trying to lose weight and feel better.  I've realized that it's the long term that counts and even though the body is a complex system, I basically concluded that for me, now:

• Weight depends largely on what I eat.  Exercise don't really matter
  • Feeling good, energetic and productive is largely dependant on that I exercise and meditate.

Given my job and life situation, I'm working with some habit hacking to get my exercise done and to not fall off the wagon and eat junk.

My two biggest problems when it comes to food is that I too often frequent resturants with a great social atmosphere but three beers and all those french fries to the food really make a mark on my body and also that I've got a bit of a sweet tooth.  Breaking the social cycle which leads to bad eating is hard.

I'm on my way though, I've lost 4 kilos (9 pounds) since august, and it keeps going in the right direction.  The plan is 10 kilos (22 pounds) more during 2016.  No quick fixes - long term change.

Congrats on your weight loss so far! You're doing awesome - slow and steady wins the race. And you're right - it has to be a long term lifestyle change. Like you, my weight gain has been because of food. There have been many times in the last few years where I have been in serious training mode, exercising very regularly. But I have never lost an ounce - I just eat more food to compensate *sigh*

What habit hacking have you been doing? Right now, I am trying to reach for healthy snacks instead of the junk. Also, keeping a giant water bottle next to me and drinking when I feel hungry/munchy.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 08:08:37 AM »
What habit hacking have you been doing? Right now, I am trying to reach for healthy snacks instead of the junk. Also, keeping a giant water bottle next to me and drinking when I feel hungry/munchy.

January:

• No bread, no french fries, limited alcohol.  Forces me to change some habits and think when I order or go shopping.
  • Never eat dinner alone in resturants for food, only for social gatherings (lunch is OK though).  Hard one.  I just love that steakhouse.
  • Exercise, meditation and plenty of water daily.

I also have sort of a http://dontbreakthechain.com/ strategy - I take notes daily of weight, body fat and if I managed to succeed with exercise, meditation and healthy diet daily.  The meditation chain is very broken so far. :)

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 12:59:33 PM »
I'm in!  Lost 15lbs in 2015 and have another 20 to go.  I'm doing intermittent fasting (4 feed days, 3 fast days).  Goal is to have most of that lost by Memorial Day.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 01:26:48 PM »
Has anyone set up a challenge that involves consequences if they don't meet a stated goal?

I have an acquaintance at work who supports the opposite political party. I just made a pact with dates and weights I have to meet. If I don't, I have to give her $200 to contribute to a candidate who makes my skin crawl. We did this last year and it worked very well. Anytime I felt tempted I remembered who I would be supporting if I didn't meet my goals. I gained some weight over the holidays, so now we're doing it again. I have set very reasonable goals that I should be able to exceed.

If you have strong political opinions, this can really be motivational! No way will "that candidate" get my money!

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 01:28:28 PM »
Has anyone set up a challenge that involves consequences if they don't meet a stated goal?

I have an acquaintance at work who supports the opposite political party. I just made a pact with dates and weights I have to meet. If I don't, I have to give her $200 to contribute to a candidate who makes my skin crawl. We did this last year and it worked very well. Anytime I felt tempted I remembered who I would be supporting if I didn't meet my goals. I gained some weight over the holidays, so now we're doing it again. I have set very reasonable goals that I should be able to exceed.

If you have strong political opinions, this can really be motivational! No way will "that candidate" get my money!
That sounds like a very motivating idea.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2016, 02:03:58 PM »

Mine is FIRE. We have agreed that I will be able to FIRE once I achieve a healthy weight. So every pound I lose will take me a step closer to FIRE. The faster I do this, the faster I can FIRE. Since I am highly motivated to FIRE, we are hoping this will give me the push I need. (plus i'll be able to do all the active stuff I want to be able to do in FIRE - hiking, cycling, canoeing, etc etc).

tjalexander

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2016, 02:10:05 PM »
No sugar and no grains are the keys to getting to an ideal weight.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2016, 02:17:30 PM »

Mine is FIRE. We have agreed that I will be able to FIRE once I achieve a healthy weight. So every pound I lose will take me a step closer to FIRE. The faster I do this, the faster I can FIRE. Since I am highly motivated to FIRE, we are hoping this will give me the push I need. (plus i'll be able to do all the active stuff I want to be able to do in FIRE - hiking, cycling, canoeing, etc etc).

That sounds very motivational too.

I came up with the original idea after reading an article about how people are more motivated by the possibility of losing something they have than by the possibility of gaining something positive. So by that token, the possibility of giving up $200 is really motivational. But if someone told me I could FIRE if I lost ten pounds, that would happen right quickly. So maybe it's a question of how important the prize or consequence is.

Go get 'em!

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2016, 06:57:32 PM »
I'm in!

I am ~170 currently, maybe 168.  I am apparently almost obese at 5'8".  Ouch!  I am in a 12 pants.  Goal is probably 160.  Pre-kids I was 148-150 in size 8.  That is probably not realistic with perfection in eating, and I don't want to live like that!  160 is much more realistic to maintain and should be a solid size 10. 

What am I doing:

-Tracking food on MFP
-Fitbit purchased with xmas gift money, working on tracking steps and use it to determine my overall caloric burn
-Walk every day, do stretches and core work in front of telly every night
-3 times a week do some weights

I've lost ~5 lbs since October.  Hard to tell at the moment as I seem to have gained a bit over xmas, oops. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2016, 12:01:20 AM »
@elaine: oranges > popcorn ☺

Joining! Already working on cutting back or eliminating soda, plus jogging. The plan is to keep developing the plan as I go.

Like others here, I'm at or near my highest weight ever and am fed* up with myself. Too embarrassed to admit the number in public. Y'all are brave! I will say that I am sure I have surpassed my lifetime quota of fast food meals. It's my albatross.

Have been weighing in for a month or two now, just whenever I remember to (always mornings).  I've seen the scale fluctuate a lot from day to day, anywhere from 1-3#.  This morning's weight was down 5# from the highest number I've seen in that time.  Gonna give it another couple days before I declare any weight officially lost...stay tuned!

Jschange

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2016, 08:12:24 AM »
So far I've gotten rid of 2 pounds.... I think it was just water fluff, but it feels really good to be rounding down to 160 instead of up to 170. I started tracking my water intake, and I think I'd forgotten how to drink!

@Elaine I was at 165 at 5'1.5. It is bad but despair isn't productive. Just fit into those 14s, then maybe 12s.

I like the different consequences people are introducing. Most involve some kind of money reward, and my hair is on fire, so not sure about that for me.

So far I've been getting my minimum steps in, using my kettles, and trying to stick to 3 meals and one snack. I've also completely removed drinks with calories during the week. My teas are all green and herbal for now. Next step is to start up on my yoga, and starting an active job next Wednesday.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2016, 09:11:12 AM »
@Mayday Congrats for being on the losing track! 5lbs loss sounds like only a little, but it is many steps in the right direction. I need to add the stretches and workout component to my daily routine like you are doing.

Well, I survived Day 2. Have to admit...yesterday was HARD! I was hungry after breakfast, but resisted. Had lunch, then was hungry an hour or two later. Ate a bunch of grapes. Continued resisting (Christmas chocolates taunting me from all over the office). I was starving by mid-afternoon and ate 2 crackers (I completely forgot there were oranges in the fridge at work!). Got home and immediately ate dinner with an orange for dessert. An hour later, I was dying to munch on something (super bad habit of constantly wanting to nibble) and ended up reaching for what I thought was a lower cal snack, but have since found was probably around 200 calories :( I fell asleep early (yay), but got woken up by the kids and DH when they went to bed. I ended up not going to sleep until closer to 1am - and spent the last couple of hours fighting the temptation to get out of bed to binge eat.

Overall, I managed not to binge eat, so it was a success. I have to shake the habit of constantly wanting to nibble. I'm the worst right after a meal - it's as if I have started chewing and need to keep on going. I have been using tiny mints when the urge gets too strong.

How did everyone else do yesterday?

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2016, 10:47:58 AM »
Elaine amj - I get the same way.  Seems like I just want to keep on nibbling whether I am hungry or not.  Strange, right?

The last few days have not been great but not bad either. I am giving myself some room to oscillate back and forth until I change my habits.  I am not really dieting but just cutting way back on my usual stuff.  I stepped on the scale yesterday and not much difference but it has only been a few days and I have only just begun.  I am normally not a scale person, I just go by my clothes, but I get curious especially when  I am making an effort. LOL. Although, I am not stepping on it again.  I think it can throw you off track too especially when you are not losing as fast as you think.  I will recheck it in two weeks or at the end of the month.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2016, 01:43:56 PM »
I have the constant snacking/nibbling problem too. I think it stems from boredom or anxiety (for myself).

I try to drink water or chew gum to avoid giving in.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2016, 01:44:35 PM »

I feel your pain! I've been thinking of food aaaaaallll day - and this is only the first day!

@Cookie   Seriously. I felt my stomach grumbling this morning and I literally said to myself out loud, "Get used to it, this is what it's going to be like from now on!" It at least made me feel like I was doing something right!

I remember last time I was losing weight I got to the point where I embraced that feeling. That was the feeling of losing weight and it made me smile instead of seeking out food.

I'm nowhere near being able to do that now. I even managed to convince myself to skip my run last night. Ugh.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2016, 03:17:01 PM »
I'm in. I was hoping someone would start this thread too... Glad to see so many also interested!

Current: 5'4" female, 172 pounds. Would love to get down to 130 but would be happy with 150 or less. I tend towards more muscle mass, especially when working out so 120 is pretty underweight for me (body fat gets too low).

I think my main problems are
1. Eating when not hungry (seconds at meals because it tastes good). Ugh!
2. Filling plate to match amount 6'2" husband eats.
3. Quit exercising when we moved to our current much-hated location.
4. Eating cheap (high refined carb) food.

I would love to switch to paleo but we have a cash flow problem and the inexpensive paleo sites I've found are for well over my budget. Is anyone has a link to a blog/thread etc on eating paleo for around $2.50 per day per person, it would be much appreciated. Trying to increase budget so this is no longer a problem.

I used to cycle quite a bit but stopped due to babies, moving etc and now live in a very hilly town (6% grades, very little flat terrain). Any leads on ways to make it bearable? I really miss cycling.

Jschange

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2016, 08:58:04 PM »
Mongoose, if your body responds well to paleo, look at the four hour body/slow carb diet. It leaves in beans and legumes, so it's way more affordable.  With legumes, eggs, and seasonal veggies including lots of soups, I bet you could stay on budget. Especially if you continue feeding grains to your family.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2016, 09:48:49 PM »
Today was a good day! I stuck to all my planned meals, snacking on fruit only. This evening, I tried playing table tennis on our makeshift table (we shoved together two 6ft folding tables) but my tennis elbow quickly acted up. So I looked up a workout videoon Youtube (chose a vid from the Tone It Up channel). The workout ended up being quite fun and pretty manageable for me. It was short - just 15 mins, but a good start. After that, I did a quick beginner's stretching video. Plan to do this at least 3x a week.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2016, 11:16:14 PM »
I'm in. I am 6' 237.4# (down from 259 last summer).  I want to lose 1 lb per week and stop losing when it starts making me crazy.  Then I want to stay at that weight - not rebound. I would like to get to 215 by summer.  That would be fantastic.
-ap

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2016, 12:32:57 AM »
For anyone looking for a plan to follow, there's a great thread on The Whole 30 which has lots of success stories by fellow Mustachians as well as links to the official Whole 30 program online (which is free, by the way).

I'm delighted to report that I am down 25 lb (October to December 2015) with another 50 or so to go in 2016 so I'm joining here as well!

Tyn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2016, 03:56:57 AM »
5'6" and 194lbs.  Started being more healthy a few years ago and lost 2 stone, but 2015 was pretty much a plateau (after years of my weight creeping up year on year I still see this as a victory though).  My goal for 2016 is to get back on a downward spiral for my weight and fit in to more of the old clothes that I have boxed up (preferably before my current ones wear out).

I don't calorie count, but I try to eat a good range of food and plenty of veg.  My main problem recently has been binge eating after supermarket shopping (no where near the extent that I used to, but still not a sensible amount and it's not a very mustachian habit), so I need to make sure I have something healthy to eat available and pay attention to whether I'm actually hungry or not before eating.
I spent years trying different calorie restrictive diets and realised that they aren't good for my mental well-being.  I'm happy now with a slow and steady approach, with a focus on caring for my body and making sustainable changes to the way I eat.

I'd also like to add more variety into my exercise regime, I'm currently just cycling to work but would like to add some resistance training too.

I would be happy to lose a stone by the end of the year and that should be pretty doable as long as I focus.  My final goal is 147lbs (this may change when I get closer, but this was a weight that I was more or less happy at in the past) so a stone down would get me a third of the way there.