Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2016  (Read 459531 times)

wintertell

• Bristles
Re: Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #1350 on: December 13, 2016, 07:52:05 PM »
Gulp! I'm scared of putting myself out there, but love the support and accountability y'all offer each other. So here goes it.

I've never focused on my weight before, at least not seriously. But I'm getting close to wanting to have kids, and I'd like to be healthier and smaller when we start trying.

I'm 5'4" and last week I was about 265 when I decided to start.

I started logging my calories and staying with a 1 lb/week weight loss goal for now. I started with 1.5/ week but I was too hungry, so I bumped it down to 1 lb/wk. After I build up the habit of logging, I'll work on incorporating exercise and will bump up the pace.

I checked my weight yesterday and I was 262.  So three lbs, but we will see if it is actually loss or water weight!

Right now I'm setting my goal weight to be 170, which is just overweight instead of obese.

Basically I'm planning on applying everything I learned from paying off 170k+ of debt to weight loss. Wish me luck!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #1351 on: December 13, 2016, 08:39:37 PM »
wintertell, welcome & good luck!  I hear that the skills leaned while paying off debt do apply to weight loss, and intellectually it seems to be true, but I have no debt other than mortgage but struggle to lose weight.  So there is overlap, but there is definitely something else, too.  Don't give up if it's not as easy as you first thought it would be.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1352 on: December 13, 2016, 09:36:51 PM »
@wintertell 1 lb a week is great. I actually started there but dropped a little more rapidly so I upped my calories to slow it down to 1 lb a week. Too fast left me hungry and cranky. And my husband and boss both started nagging me about how tired I looked. Plus I figure that I am learning skills for a lifetime - I did NOT want to yoyo and heard deprivation can lead to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1353 on: December 14, 2016, 04:53:46 AM »
Original weight: 116.3kg
Last weigh-in's weight: 117.9kg
Current weight: 117.9kg
Goal weight: 90kg

Whilst I've been more active lately as the weather warms up and my ankle is almost fully healed, I haven't really changed my eating habits enough. Soon it'll be the silly season, uh oh.

I need to focus on not eating so damn much :)

wintertell

• Bristles
« Reply #1354 on: December 14, 2016, 06:31:07 PM »
wintertell, welcome & good luck!  I hear that the skills leaned while paying off debt do apply to weight loss, and intellectually it seems to be true, but I have no debt other than mortgage but struggle to lose weight.  So there is overlap, but there is definitely something else, too.  Don't give up if it's not as easy as you first thought it would be.

I'm just beginning at this, but this is where I see the overlap so far: 1) it requires sustained commitment and dedication overtime and 2) it is a process of continual optimization -- which involves changing established behaviors and habits -- in order to try and reach your goal  To do this, you need a really great "why" to continue to stick it out and continue for the long haul.

@wintertell 1 lb a week is great. I actually started there but dropped a little more rapidly so I upped my calories to slow it down to 1 lb a week. Too fast left me hungry and cranky. And my husband and boss both started nagging me about how tired I looked. Plus I figure that I am learning skills for a lifetime - I did NOT want to yoyo and heard deprivation can lead to that.

I am trying for long-lasting change, so I'm going to try and keep it nice and steady for the long haul. One of my tendencies is to go too hard, too fast, too soon so I've got to watch that to make sure I can stick with it.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1355 on: December 15, 2016, 01:54:20 PM »
Just switched over to a ketogenic diet about 3 weeks ago. Have since gone from 218.4 to 203.2 pounds. I am planning to be under 200 by the end of the year and my target weight is 185-190.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1356 on: December 15, 2016, 02:24:49 PM »
Update time.

Date      Weight (lbs)
7/26/2015           145
11/6/2015           134
1/14/2016           128
4/11/2016           128
5/29/2016           124
8/20/2016           127
9/26/2016           130
10/30/2016         131
12/14/2016         129

So far the weight seems to have held steady. No loss but no gain either. I suppose that is good especially since I have increased my calorie intake by almost 20-25% since the beginning of the year. Trying to eat more healthy food with lots of fruits, veggies. This week there was a work related meeting again with lots of junk food. One day I succumbed to a couple of treats but stayed focussed for the second day.

I did get a Garmin Vivoactive HR fitness tracker a month ago. That seems to be quite motivating and I feel I am less sedentary especially in my office. I've been exercising more regularly and also trying to increase intensity as well. Being able to monitor the Heart Rate when exercising encourages me to exercise a little harder to get the HR up more. In some ways, I guess having that higher HR during exercise takes a while to come down probably means that there is some after burn effect as well. One side effect of the more intense exercise is that I feel hungrier as well. But then trying to not eat junk and fatty foods.

Glad that people stayed the course. This is a marathon and not a sprint.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1357 on: December 16, 2016, 08:10:15 AM »
@rpr Well, you're finishing 2016 at about the same as when you started, that's so awesome that you managed to KEEP the weight off! I was pretty shocked at how easy it was to slip back into my old habits when I stopped being watchful :(

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1358 on: December 16, 2016, 08:57:08 AM »
Has it really been over 2 months since I posted my weight? No wonder it's been creeping upwards! On the good side, I've been holding steady for about 2 weeks now since I started being watchful again.

Friday weigh-in

Jan 1 2016: 154 lbs....Jan 8 2016: 153.2 lbs....Jan 15 2016:149.2 lbs....Jan 22 2016: 148 lbs.....Jan 29 2016....147.4 lbs
Feb 5 2016: 145.2 lbs..Feb 12 2016: 142.8 lbs..Feb 19 2016: 140.6 lbs...Feb 26 2016: 140.8 lbs
Mar 4 2016: 139 lbs....Mar 11 2016: 138 lbs.....Mar 18 2016: VACAY......Mar 25 2016: 136.8 lbs
Apr 1 2016: 137.8 lbs..Apr 8 2016: 136.8 lbs....Apr 15 2016: 135.8 lbs...Apr 22 2016: 134.8 lbs..April 30 2016: 133.6 lbs
May 6, 2016:133.6 lbs.May 13 2016:134.6 lbs...May 21 2016: 137.6 lbs..May 26 2016: 132.2 lbs
Jun 3, 2016: 133.6 lbs.June 10 2016:133.8 lbs..June 17 2016: 132.2 lbs.June 24 2016:131.2 lbs
July 1 2016: 133.2 lbs.July 8 2016: 133.8 lbs...July 17 2016: 133.4 lbs..July 22 2016: 132 lbs....July 29 2016:132.4 lbs
Aug 5 2016: 132.2 lbs.Aug 12 2016: 131 lbs.....Aug 19 2016: 131.2 lbs..Aug 26 2016: 132 lbs
Sep 2 2016: 131.8 lbs.Sep 9 2016:    130.6 lbs..Sep 16 2016: 128.8 lbs..Sep 23 2016: 130.6 Lbs..Sep 30 2016: 131.6 lbs
Oct 7 2016: 131.2 lbs..Oct 12 2016:  133 lbs....Oct 21 2016:  130.2 lbs..
Nov 4 2016: 132.8 lbs..Nov 10: 2016: 132.2 lbs.......(some crazy numbers I don't know since I refused to weigh myself and definitely didn't record anything)
Dec 8 2016: 134 lbs....Dec 16 2016: 135 lbs

19 lbs lost
GOAL WEIGHT: 130 lbs (Stretch Goal 120 lbs)

I am currently fluctuating between 134 and 135 lbs (and have been for 2 weeks now) so I will officially state that in 2016, I lost 20 lbs! While I'm a wee bit disappointed I put on 4-5 lbs in November, I'm back on track again and am feeling good. 130 lbs is a good, "acceptable" weight for me to feel normal. 120 lbs will be REALLY nice and I'm going to work towards that next year.

What worked: Logging my food intake on MyFitnessPal kept me honest. It was sometimes a pain (since I weighed everything), but to lose weight consistently, it really did work for me. I was able to maintain throughout the summer by weighing myself daily and being watchful over what I ate (while still feeling reasonably indulgent). Trendweight really helped with the process since it smoothed out the curve and helped me see what was happening. Also, posting on here made a BIG difference. It was fantastic to have a place where I could be honest about the ups and downs of my weight. Regular exercise helped give me some extra calories so I could easily fit in treats into my regular plan. I started biking to work (50 mins round trip) from July to October and that REALLY made a difference without it being "hard".

Lessons learned this year:
- Routines are important. Having something I typically ate each day made it easier to stay on track. Biking to work also became routine, and I enjoyed it.
- Veggies CAN taste good and provide filling, low-calorie meals
- I CAN manage entire meals with no meat in it (and still enjoy it)
- Skinnytaste.com has the BEST recipes (that are also easy since I'm not a great cook)
- Being hungry sometimes was not the end of the world. (Often I would eat a very small lunch in anticipation of a big dinner)
- Treats are DELICIOUS and need to be a part of my life. Deprivation leads to binging for me.
- After a lot of experimenting, Calories In Calories Out was still the only "diet" that worked for me
- Logging works for me. Period. (THANKS MyFitnessPal!)

Also, I have learned HOW EASY it is to go back to old ways. I gained a few lbs in November because I slipped back into binging, stress eating, and worst of all....secret eating. Daily weigh-ins and paying attention is still essential for me.

Looking forward to hearing everyone else's 2016 recap!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 09:19:52 AM by elaine amj »

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1359 on: December 16, 2016, 12:10:52 PM »
@elaine amj -- The twenty pound loss certainly counts as a big win in any book!!

While I'd have liked to lose more weight especially the visceral fat surrounding my abdomen, it is likely to be a longer haul. I am not sure what is the way to get rid of it. I am betting that since it took twenty+ years for it to be slowly put on, there are no quick fixes.

Tracking and being mindful does help.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1360 on: December 17, 2016, 09:30:34 AM »
Hi! I'm begood, and I'm a sugar addict. Will there be a 2017 thread, because I am sooooo late to this party...

I'm coming over here from another thread. I would definitely love some company on this journey: If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together. :)

I am on a quest to lose 32 pounds. Since mid-September, I've lost 12, so 20 to go. Averaging a pound a week. I'm doing it for oh so many reasons, but the two primary drivers are:

1) It's the next "task" in my breast-cancer prevention regimen. My family history is rife with breast cancer, so under a doc's care, I'm trying to take some proactive steps toward prevention.

2) My left knee has arthritis, a bone spur, and a tilted patella. I've done a month of PT and have exercises to continue at home, but losing weight to take pressure off that knee is a powerful incentive.

I'm working with a nutritionist, which has been really positive. I'm a lifetime member of Weight Watchers, but found I spent most of my WW time in a profound sense of guilt and disconnection, because I just couldn't follow the regimen with any degree of authenticity or stamina.

The nutritionist is working within my framework in ways I found really empowering, and which so far have worked well: concentrating on successes, looking for non-food mood lifters, and seeking community and connection. I tell her she's half nutritionist/half therapist!

On a practical level, that's meant: cutting out candy (though I still have dark chocolate daily), cutting out chips, cutting out a midmorning snack, and walking with a group of friends for an hour on weekdays.

The last two times I tried WW, I stalled out at 9 pounds. So the current approach has been more effective, so far. I just really want to try to keep going, and try to be kind to myself over these next couple of weeks, when there will be lots of temptations and I'll need to pick and choose which of them I really, really want.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1361 on: December 18, 2016, 05:37:01 PM »
Welcome begood! Congratulations on your progress so far! I'm sure there will be a 2017 version, many of us found so much encouragement in this thread. I hope that you do too.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1362 on: December 19, 2016, 10:42:18 AM »
I hover around 128 pounds and have been here for months.  I got down a little lower and then the upwards creep began.  Then I realized that there was just too much happening to really focus on the weight loss. But I did lose ten pounds and have kept it off for about 5 months.  I have made a number of changes to the way I eat.  I also do not feel deprived.

What worked: 
Keeping the food journal.  I am pretty good at this now
Eating in the dining room.  We renovated the kitchen so that there isn't a table there anymore. 
Serving the food buffet style in the kitchen so every time I have seconds I have to get up and walk back into the kitchen.  We used to do family style and hub and I would finish the food in the serving dishes.  Now there are leftovers for lunches.
Increased the amount of salads - and I only dress the greens and I do that before serving so that I can really coat all the leaves with the smallest amount of salad dressing possible.
Using homemade dressing that I make in a larger batch so that I don't have to make every night.
More protein and fruit for breakfast.
Taking a healthy snack when going to meetings so that I don't buy an unhealthy choice
Cut out sugary drinks - I am now able to enjoy a bubbly water with just lime juice instead of a coke.
Having tea after dinner as a dessert replacement. It seemed that Hubs and I would eat dessert to give ourselves a reason to linger at the table and catch up, not because we particularly wanted to eat dessert. 
Making some lighter meals for dinner such as a soup.
Expanding the types of vegetables in my repertoire.  Kids are getting fancier taste buds so things that nobody would eat before are now enjoyed.
Starting spouting various things - I like a crunchy bean mix spouts.
Not eating in front of the tv or computer as much.
Making air popped popcorn for a snack and portion controlling it.
No bedtime snack - that was just a bad habit.
I will hang out in the 2017 because I would really like to get down to 120 pounds again but I think it will be more of a fitness type goal than a diet goal.  But at the moment my main focus has to be on the money side of my life.

QueenV

• Stubble
« Reply #1363 on: December 19, 2016, 02:53:58 PM »
I feel kind of silly jumping in at the end of this long thread, but didn't want to put it off any longer.  I'll jump over to a new thread for 2017 if one gets started!  I've only read the current page and first page, but I may skim through to get ideas of what is working for other people.

Current Stats:
I'm 5'3" and currently weigh 160 pounds, two years after having a baby.  When I got pregnant, I weighed 140 which is at the very top of the healthy BMI for my height.  While pregnant, I gained 33 pounds, so was up to 173 on the day I went into labor.  At one point after the baby was born, I was down to 150, but then climbed back up to 160.  (Hello, stress eating!) 

Goal:
Having a second child is under consideration and I'd like to at least be back down to my former pre-pregnancy weight before that happens.  So my minimum goal is to lose 20 lbs, stretch goal is 30, extra stretch goal is 35.  I'd like to lose the weight by June 2017.  So if my goal is 30 pounds in 6 months, that's 5 pounds a month or just a little more than 1 pound a week.  Seems within the realm of possibility.

Challenges:
I'm not sure what my biggest challenge is.  Not exercising at all is a big one.  Too much stress eating is another one.  I did not exercise during my pregnancy and I really regret it now.  I also have exercised very little since having a baby.  It look about 15 months to even have the energy to seriously think about exercising and another few months to start trying.  And I'm not doing a great job of it now.  I am not athletic and have never really enjoyed exercise.  I'm a bookworm who would rather be curled up on a couch with a good book!  So that is a major hurdle to overcome.  I'm working on trying to find some kind of activity that I'll enjoy so as to make it sustainable.

Action Items:
-Set up treadmill desk - I work from home so this could be an easy way to get some activity into my life.  I scored a free treadmill from a friend who was getting rid of one.  I need to re-arrange my office to fit in the treadmill and then rig up the desk.  I'm hoping to use this tutorial http://wholelifestylenutrition.com/health/how-to-build-a-treadmill-desk-for-under-20/ which I saw posted in another thread in this forum

-Start tracking what I eat - I used My Fitness Pal several years ago and found it to be really helpful but also kind of annoying.  Tracking my food really made me aware of how many "empty" calories I eat.  It also showed me just how hard it is to lose 1 pound a week!  I can only eat 1200 calories a day if I don't do any exercise.  That's part of why I want to add daily activity into my life.  It got annoying to calculate the calories of each and every meal.  I'm hoping to do several sessions on the computer where I load a bunch of recipes all at once so they are ready for tracking instead of doing it after every single meal with my phone.

-Eat more veggies, fewer refined carbs - I don't want to go all the way to a Paleo or Whole 30 diet, but I could stand to eat less sugar and bread.  This is hard for me, bread is my favorite food!  I think reducing how much bread/pastry/treats I eat is more realistic and sustainable for me rather than cutting them out completely. 

-Add weightlifting once I establish a walking routine - I just bought a book on weightlifting at home and will start putting it into practice.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #1364 on: December 21, 2016, 09:38:45 PM »
Welcome QueenV!! We definitely will start up a 2017 thread :) I've just been waiting until the year wraps up.

I like your plans so far and am looking forward to your journey.

As for me, I have been putting on another pound or two this week with all the Christmas festivities. Went shopping for a couple of sweaters last night and realized I feel fat now that I am 5-7 lbs higher than my lowest weight. There is still a lot of food ahead so I am going to try to enjoy it while not going overboard. Still hoping for maintenance or just an extra 1-2 lbs.

Today I have been uncomfortably stuffed all night. It really is silly to suffer the overstuffed feeling just for the enjoyment of eating a few more meatballs. Why do I do it to myself?

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1365 on: December 24, 2016, 11:07:05 AM »
Well I sure dropped the ball this year. Started out good, then crept right back up to where I started. 10 pounds down, 10 pounds up. Pretty disappointed.

I have 32 weeks left until FIRE and my goal now is to lose 32 pounds in those weeks. I just know I need to make some serious changes to get there. I've done it before and I can do it again. Many of my FIRE goals require being in shape and I don't want to wait until I'm FIRE to start getting into shape!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #1366 on: December 24, 2016, 10:22:45 PM »
@Cookie78 Aww...that's frustrating! But - I know you can do this! I hear a more serious determination in your post that says you are going to get through this.

As for me...I don't know why, but I feel so FAT at my current weight. Its not bad..only 5-7 lbs over my low and really, it's TWENTY pounds less than I weighed last Christmas...but I still feel awful and FAT. With just these few pounds I now look awful in everything I wear.

*sigh* I got used to seeing myself a few lbs lighter. The larger belly, the rounder cheeks - I am just way too aware of them.

On the good side, the weather finally warmed up and I have been outdoors a lot. I walked to work on both Thurs and Fri (70 mins each way) and felt amazing! I overdid it on Friday (walking about 3+hours through the day) so had to rest today. Ate a LOT of food on Christmas Eve but have been moderate otherwise. Am going to keep up the walking when possible throughout the Christmas break.

I'm determined to get back on weight loss mode in January!

In the meantime, Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1367 on: December 29, 2016, 07:56:24 PM »

*sigh* I got used to seeing myself a few lbs lighter. The larger belly, the rounder cheeks - I am just way too aware of them.

I'm determined to get back on weight loss mode in January!

Oh so much this!! The other day I felt my waist (hands on hips) and I just KNEW it was bad. Yesterday morning? Up 4 lbs. gah.

Oh well, back on the wagon.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #1368 on: December 29, 2016, 08:25:05 PM »
Lost 32 lbs since August 2016.  My goal is to lose another 16 lbs in 2017.  Best wishes, Ap.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1369 on: December 30, 2016, 07:33:42 AM »
Lost 32 lbs since August 2016.  My goal is to lose another 16 lbs in 2017.  Best wishes, Ap.

Congratulations, that is a lot!

I'm thinking I will be ending the year with just under 30 lbs lost. I started at 153 and am ending the year in the 125 range. I'm really happy with it, so I'm not going to quibble over the last few pounds. I will lose them in 2017. Can't wait to see you all there! Happy New Year!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #1370 on: January 02, 2017, 08:32:55 AM »
I started a new 2017 thread :) Losing weight - the 2017 edition
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/index.php?topic=66290

I am determined to kick butt in 2017!!!

Edit: I somehow missed the other thread that was started. Closing the one I started and joining in the fun: Lose 10% or More of Your Body Weight in 2017
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/index.php?topic=66119

« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 08:57:08 AM by elaine amj »

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1371 on: January 02, 2017, 12:15:00 PM »
I hope that thread is as supportive as this one has been but I have my doubts already.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1372 on: January 02, 2017, 12:23:36 PM »
I hope that thread is as supportive as this one has been but I have my doubts already.

Why?!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1373 on: January 02, 2017, 02:40:08 PM »
It just seems a bit argumentative. Weight loss is an emotional issue. It's not a place for criticizing how others choose to go about it. The fact that no one did that in this thread made me much more willing to be honest about the rough days than it would have otherwise. Different things work for different people. Hopefully the 2017 thread will be good too.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1374 on: January 02, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »
@rockstache I was a bit hesitant when I saw all that going on too...but I am hoping that with all of us around, it will be a bit different?

I really really liked how supportive this thread was all year. This became the one place I could be brutally honest - and that helped me so very much.

Lets give it a shot. If folks there end up preferring more energetic discussions about how to go about losing weight, we could resurrect the thread I started to be a support-only thread with no debates about each individual 's methods.

The discussions can be very good...I often learn a lot. But there is a lot to be said about having a safe zone.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1375 on: January 02, 2017, 09:03:47 PM »
I checked out the other thread too but am not sure I belong there.  I'm not interested in losing 10% of my body weight. I've got five pounds and maintenance/ lifestyle to focus on. I really appreciated the attitude and perspectives shared on this thread this year, and while it's nice to not have duplicate threads maybe there is a need for two weight conversations?

LG in NYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1376 on: January 03, 2017, 06:49:45 AM »
Agreed! I would love to keep a regular "losing weight in 2017 thread"... I followed this thread for most of 2016 but never posted because I thought my goal of losing 5-7 pounds was too insignificant. Well, it's 2017 now and I still haven't lost those 5-7 pounds. I'd love to have the support I saw on this thread to keep me motivated.

Adge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1377 on: January 03, 2017, 11:16:54 AM »
Add me to the list of people who would rather keep this thread separate :) I'm with LG in only needing/wanting to lose another 5-7lbs, definitely not 10% of my bodyweight, plus I love how supportive and non-judgmental this thread has been over the year! It would be a shame to merge it and end up losing all that.

wintertell

• Bristles
« Reply #1378 on: January 03, 2017, 11:37:29 AM »
Why not just keep this thread active? Since it has a great community?

Alternatively, the person who wrote the first post could edit it to a different title to make it clear it pertains to 2017.

I agree that I'm not liking the direction of the other thread and would either stay here or join a similar 2017 one.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1379 on: January 03, 2017, 12:53:21 PM »
Well...I weighed in at 127.8 this morning. It's mostly just from eating poorly the last week or so. I'm glad to be back on the wagon, and I think it will bump down again soon. I don't know that I want to lose 10% of my body weight either, I think I will feel satisfied with anything from 115-120.

Hijinks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1380 on: January 03, 2017, 01:00:42 PM »
Jumping on the keep-this-thread-alive bandwagon. :) I followed this thread in 2016 as well and really loved the good vibes. I lost about 15 lbs in 2015, then dropped a couple more in 2016 but mostly maintained. I'm quite happy where I am, but I would like to lose another 5 lbs ideally. I'd love to have a supportive group like this one while I work towards that goal.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 01:08:27 PM by A&R »

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1381 on: January 04, 2017, 09:54:31 AM »
I agree with all the above.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1382 on: January 04, 2017, 01:07:49 PM »
Good to see that so many people stuck with it throughout the year. Weight loss and developing healthy habits is a journey.

I too agree that we should keep this thread going.

Update to end the year

Date      Weight (lbs)

1/14/2016           128
4/11/2016           128 --> started more calorie restriction + increased strength training exercise
5/29/2016           124
8/20/2016           127 --> injury :( stop strength training + begin travel + increase calories
9/26/2016           130 --> travel continues
10/30/2016         131 --> travel ends and some weight gain
12/14/2016         129
12/31/2016         130

So the year ended about level. I had increased my calorie intake, thus a steady weight is not too bad. I still have a few more pounds I could stand to lose but it will likely take time. Patience and sticking to it is key.

RonMcCord

• Stubble
« Reply #1383 on: January 05, 2017, 12:35:07 PM »
Jan 4:175lbs.
Jan 28:169lbs.
Feb 27:162lbs.
Apr 1: 157lbs.
Apr 30: 151lbs.
May 31: 148lbs.
June 30: 144lbs.
Sep 1: 138lbs.
Jan 3: 134lbs.

Kind of stopped regularly posting in this thread due to reaching my goals so didn't see much point in saying anything.  Right now it's about staying around 135lbs and maintaining fitness gains by using Sworkit and Down Dog for morning exercises and doing a run on the weekend.  I'm not too sure if I should set any fitness goals for this year because I need to focus on my career goals and in March/April things are really going to be up in the air.  But it's great that so many people were able to lose weight last year.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1384 on: January 05, 2017, 12:46:08 PM »
@RonMcCord -- Congratulations on achieving your goals and staying there. It is quite impressive to lose almost 40 lb in a year.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1385 on: January 06, 2017, 06:38:49 AM »
Ok - given the consensus on here, let's just stay put. I too really love this group :) Do we want to start a new thread or just stay here? Not sure if our OP, yuka, is still around. Maybe we can get a mod to change the thread title for us.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:52:54 AM by elaine amj »

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: Losing Weight in 2017
« Reply #1386 on: January 06, 2017, 09:43:07 AM »
Time for the Friday weigh-in of the year!

Jan 1: 139.6 lbs...Jan 6: 137.8 lbs

Start weight: 139.6 lbs
Weight lost: 1.8 lbs
Goal weight: 125 lbs

So happy I've started dropping water weight quickly. That sure helps with the motivation :) I even went to a friend's place for dinner last night, eating more than I should...and STILL stayed the same weight as yesterday (I thought for sure I'd see a small increase). Still a bit bummed that I gained nearly 10 lbs in the last few months (after successfully reaching my goal of 130 lbs in 2016) but onwards and upwards!

Today is going to be a tough one. I'm starting to get a bit sick (way too many late nights) and am feeling super hungry. Accordingly, I bumped up the size of my breakfast (plain yogurt and granola), eating about 50% more than normal. Unfortunately, I have still been super hungry since breakfast. Holding out until lunchtime when I have a really delish cobb salad in the fridge that I prepped a couple of days ago. A little worried that won't be enough though and I might dive into the instant noodles I have stashed in my desk drawer. I wish I had an avocado handy or something...all I have for snacks are kettle corn (eek!) or a few small clementines.

Its frustrating given that I am actually feeling very motivated to lose weight. This level of hunger is not normal for me...so I am considering caving a bit to be kind to my body. All the hot peppermint tea I am downing hasn't been helping :( Plus...its freezing outside so I am skipping my lunch walk.

Anyway - enough down talk about the day ahead! Its just a minor setback and I have all kinds of GOOD plans for the year ahead! Here we go:

1.  Log food on My Fitness Pal again since that helped me so much last year. Debating whether I should go back to weighing my food. I found it much more accurate and it was really nice to know every week just how much weight I would drop (my body was pretty in sync with the math). That said, weighing everything IS a hassle and I'd like to avoid it if I can. I'm going to continue considering it.

2.  "Eat less, move more" ended up being a good mantra for me with the eating less part making the biggest difference. Being a scant 5ft tall, I NEED the "move more" part though since the extra 300-400 exercise cals a day makes a massive difference when losing 1 lb a week means I can only eat 1200 cals/day. Calorie counting worked well for me - and I was happy that it pushed me to eat WAY more veggies than I normally would (since veggies are much more filling for less cals).

3. Continue cooking from scratch more often. I LOVE the recipes on skinnytaste.com and have gained a solid appreciation for zoodles, eggplant, tofu and all kinds of veggie-based dishes I wouldn't have eaten not all that long ago. I do believe that whole, nutritious foods is good for the body.

4. Improve fitness. In the spring I have to train for 2 events - a 100km bike ride and a 7-8hr adventure race (canoeing, hiking, and biking). Unfortunately, I don't typically lose extra weight during this training since I have to eat a lot to fuel the extra activity.

5. Walk/bike to work & walk at lunchtime. This was a nice way to burn some extra calories that doesn't require extra food (I consider these very light activities).

Cheers for an exciting 2017 ahead!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 10:47:07 AM by elaine amj »

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1387 on: January 06, 2017, 10:16:00 AM »
@ elaine amj -- It sounds like you have a plan. Stick with what has worked for you. I agree with the home cooking from scratch. It helps me a lot in making sure that no junk goes in the food.

Here's my starting point for the year.

Date          Weight
1/1/2017    130

For my height, I'm well within my BMI range. However, the body fat is probably a little higher than I like. I do realize that there are no quick fixes to getting this down. Slow and steady will win the race. While it is difficult to accurately measure the calorie deficit that will be needed, I do have a pretty good idea based on the fact that my weight has been fairly steady over the past few months, how much I have been eating and how much I have been exercising. Again, slow and steady.

Best of luck to everyone on this journey this year.

cityfolks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • domestic8
« Reply #1388 on: January 06, 2017, 04:10:15 PM »
I'm starting a new job soon that will restore my gym access (a nice perk) and gives some benefits if you don't drive to work (a motivational benefit). I'm hoping that between that and yardwork I'll be a little more active in 2017 than 2016!

Starting numbers: 185 lbs on 1/6/17.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1389 on: January 07, 2017, 06:47:18 AM »
I was in the 2016 thread until September or so.

We had a really busy fall so I decided to give up on working out and allowed myself to buy more convenience food - guess who gained back the 10 pounds she lost in early 2016?

Starting weight 2017: 151 pounds.

Sigh- I apparently need accountability.

wintertell

• Bristles
« Reply #1390 on: January 07, 2017, 05:31:45 PM »
I'm down a little over 8lbs since starting a month ago. I've started to switch my social media consumption away from financial blogs and towards health resources. This has helped me switch my focus, since my financial habits are in good shape right now.

So far, I'm tracking my calories and I bought a Fitbit to track activity. Right now, I'm aiming for 1 lb/week weight loss. Doing that has required switching out the foods I normally eat for more filling, lower calorie substitutes. I also am trying to lower the amount of sugar/carbs I eat so that my blood sugar remains stable the entire day despite eating less calories. This has involved into eating 5 small meals throughout the day, with a slightly larger supper.

I'm really encouraged by my progress, but I need to stick with it!

Also, anyone have food scale recommendations? We need to get a second one for our kitchen, since I take our current one back and forth to work.

Weight Log
12/6/16  ~265
1/7/17      256.4   

wintertell

• Bristles
« Reply #1391 on: January 07, 2017, 06:28:09 PM »
Also, I wanted to share a thought I had today! We were out eating lunch and chatting with the manager as we waited for our food. He happened to mention how delicious the fries were and my husband told him we were focusing on our weight but that the fries sounded delicious.

The manager then said "Well, you only live once...If you want the fries, we'd be glad to cook you up a batch!"

I was super proud that the first thought that popped in my head was: Yes, you only live once. Which is why I should take care of body by losing weight and NOT eat these fries.

Such a mindset change already!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1392 on: January 07, 2017, 08:04:05 PM »
Yes, you only live once. Which is why I should take care of body by losing weight and NOT eat these fries.

That's a brilliant way of thinking about it. I'm going to remember this one.

lizh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1393 on: January 07, 2017, 10:07:10 PM »
HI everyone,
I'd like to join you again this year.  I think I posted once or twice last year but was intimidated by all your great progress and my complete lack of progress!!  I see today that that makes absolutely no sense ...but it seemed to make sense at the time!!

Anyway, I'm currently at 144 and I'm a shortie (5' 1") and would love to get down to 125.  However my first goal will be 138.  (it is usually around that number that I drop a pant size.)

I think I may be MFP friends with a couple of you.  If anyone wants to friend me over there, I'm lizh9.  Last year I was experimenting with keto (my husband had big success with keto) but this time, I'm keeping it simple with Calories In and Calories Out (CICO).

Thanks for keeping the thread alive!!  and congrats to all the successful "losers!"
Liz

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #1394 on: January 07, 2017, 10:42:44 PM »
Hi lizh!  There are plenty of shorties on here (I'm not quite 5'0"), so we feel your pain!  I'm in the frustrating position of having actually gained weight last year, instead of losing it. Sigh.

I had a rough 2016, but really, that's no excuse. I really need to stop comforting myself with food- it's makes me feel worse the next day, knowing that I'm hurting both my waistline and my pocketbook for totally unnecessary, unhealthy food items.

I posted intermittently last year, but really need the accountability now. I'm Garthbear on MFP, for anyone would like to friend me so we can help each other with accountability. 

lizh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1395 on: January 08, 2017, 12:11:15 PM »
Sounds good!  Let's do it Garthbear/SunnyCa  and all losers short and tall!  I'm so over this "weight thing" occupying my brain so much of the time!!
Have a good sunday,
Liz

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1396 on: January 09, 2017, 09:15:06 AM »
I'm off to a good start this year. Down 1.6 pounds this week.

My goal is 1 pound per week until the first week of August.

Hijinks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1397 on: January 09, 2017, 10:16:38 AM »
Nicely done, Cookie78!

I'm 5'7" and currently at 140 even. In 2015, I went from 155 to 140. Then in 2016, I bounced between 138 to 141, so pretty solid maintenance. But I would really like to lose a bit more and maintain between 130 to 135. I think I need a more solid game plan, especially during the week, as weekends tend to be a little more up in the air with meals out and drinks. I'll noodle on it and get back to you guys.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:50:00 PM by A&R »

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1398 on: January 09, 2017, 01:29:58 PM »
I am so glad to check in and find this thread re-invigorated.  I did post on the other thread - but found this place so helpful I will renew my intention to get the last half of the way to where I need to go.

I am going to change weigh-in day to Sundays just because it will be easier to record. 

01-08 - 132.

Goal:  120

I got down to 124 but couldn't sustain it with all the distractions around me over the holidays.  We are also experiencing some lifestyle creep so have been eating out a bit more.  We are both committed to getting our house, finances and health under control and I keep feeling a little overwhelmed.  So I am going to re-commit to this thread and at minimum halt the belly expansion.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1399 on: January 11, 2017, 08:38:44 PM »
@cookie78 You are rocking it! I really think this year will be different for u. There really is a serious determination in your tone now.

@frugal lizard So nice to see some familiar faces around here!

@lizh I remember u posting last year, glad u are back!!

As a fellow shortie (5ft), can I say how refreshing it is to have other shorties around?

I have been silent...which is not a good thing. I got sick last Friday and stayed in bed, eating quite large portions until Tuesday. On Tuesday, I was back in the office...but gave in to the temptation of my old nemesis...all u can eat chicken wings.

Spent all day today with a round of diarrhea (TMI, I know) so maybe I purged everything?

Anyway, back at it tomorrow with a nice spinach salad for lunch! These pounds need to go.