Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2016  (Read 459543 times)

scrubbyfish

Re: Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #1200 on: September 29, 2016, 12:00:25 PM »
I did it, rockstache! Simply add chili flakes to my tuna tostado. Was great!!

Also turned heat on in house, and put coffee on. (Is there a yummy way to add spice to my coffee??!?)

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1201 on: September 29, 2016, 12:44:12 PM »
Added black pepper to my vanilla coffee. It's good!!

This was inspired by a memory of my favourite DavidsTea tea: North African Mint. I will get me some of that, and maybe one other hot flavour (e.g., chocolate chili chai). I know the first one is great as-is, while the company recommends some milk with the second. Actually, that noted, read my lips sounds like the way to go. Oh wait...  Sigh, here's just their wonderful page of ginger-inclusive ones: https://www.davidstea.com/ca_en/our-teas/ginger/   Yes, a trip to DT is going to make my winter thermos AWESOME.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1202 on: September 29, 2016, 12:50:59 PM »
scrubbyfish - have you ever tried homemade cinnamon tea?  You boil a few cinnamon sticks in water until the water is nice and dark, usually 15-20 minutes, and you'll have a very delicious tea - naturally sweet and spicy - and your house will smell wonderful.  Leftover tea keeps really well and you can even make a big batch and put it in the fridge if you don't want to spend the time to boil it each time.   If you make it, you'll want to taste it when it starts getting dark and keep boiling until it reaches that delicious point.  I get my cinnamon sticks in bulk at the local Hispanic market. 

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1203 on: September 29, 2016, 12:58:13 PM »
Ooooohhh, that sounds great too, M.Darcy! I've made a LOT of homemade ginger tea, but homemade cinnamon would be new :)

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1204 on: September 29, 2016, 02:13:16 PM »
I'm glad you liked it! The cinnamon tea does sound delish! I might try that myself.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1205 on: September 29, 2016, 04:57:39 PM »
I didn't make the cinnamon tea (no sticks yet), but I did add powdered cinnamon to my homemade "ice cream" today, with the shredded raw ginger. Awesome! Enjoying all the new flavours today :)

crispy

« Reply #1206 on: September 29, 2016, 05:21:27 PM »
I just wanted to check in because it has been a while.  Between school starting and a host of other random stuff, I got sidetracked.  I started at about 151 in June, and today I was at 146.  This is coming off slowly mostly my own fault), but it is at least moving in the right direction.  I lost 100+ pounds back in 2011 and my weight had crept up in the last year so I wanted to get back down to 140.  Still aiming to get there by the end of the year.

I met a friend for lunch today, and I realized how easy it is to gain weight while eating "healthy."  This restaurant is not known for health food, but I looked at the menu and nutrition beforehand and chose a meal that was fairly healthy and whose calories fit into may daily intake (around 500 calories for the meal plus a diet coke).  My friend has also really struggled with her weight and she was telling me how she ate healthy and didn't know why she was gaining.  After we left, I looked up the salad she ordered, and it had over 1500 calories plus she had two regular cokes.  It is a reminder about why I rarely eat out.  Holy cow!

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #1207 on: September 29, 2016, 05:39:49 PM »
When I couldn't find this thread, I figured it was about time someone started it!

What are your goals, methods, motivations, and deadlines?

There's some great stuff in the 2015 thread especially in the final page's posts (Dollarbill!!):  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/losing-weight-in-2015/msg910056/#msg910056

Someone linked an article that appeals to me in the end of the 2015 article, suggesting daily weighing and moving average calculations. Here's the article https://medium.com/technology-liberal-arts/the-data-diet-how-i-lost-60-pounds-using-a-google-docs-spreadsheet-80adce62cf5c#.pij41yzhj and here's the spreadsheet: https://drive.google.com/previewtemplate?id=0AiqPelI3OIXCdGhieGI3UGxNaVM4MWh4VnliUGd3TkE&mode=public?id=0AiqPelI3OIXCdGhieGI3UGxNaVM4MWh4VnliUGd3TkE&mode=public.  Changing the first date to 2016 should effect the same change in the whole page (and I changed the tab name to 2016 for myself.)
Try intermittent fasting. Its worked wonders for me.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1208 on: September 30, 2016, 07:39:32 AM »
I met a friend for lunch today, and I realized how easy it is to gain weight while eating "healthy."  This restaurant is not known for health food, but I looked at the menu and nutrition beforehand and chose a meal that was fairly healthy and whose calories fit into may daily intake (around 500 calories for the meal plus a diet coke).  My friend has also really struggled with her weight and she was telling me how she ate healthy and didn't know why she was gaining.  After we left, I looked up the salad she ordered, and it had over 1500 calories plus she had two regular cokes.  It is a reminder about why I rarely eat out.  Holy cow!

OUCH!! It's so true, you know. I actually have to be watchful about salads. My favourite salad (that I make at home) clocks in about 500 cals - which is a big meal for me as I'm super short and eat about 1200-1400/cals a day when in weight loss mode. I do keep it in regular rotation since it is good for me nutrition-wise, but it does have to count as an "indulgence" meal. Which is a weird way to think about a salad.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1209 on: September 30, 2016, 08:14:28 AM »
Friday weigh-in

Jan 1 2016: 154 lbs....Jan 8 2016: 153.2 lbs....Jan 15 2016:149.2 lbs....Jan 22 2016: 148 lbs.....Jan 29 2016....147.4 lbs
Feb 5 2016: 145.2 lbs..Feb 12 2016: 142.8 lbs..Feb 19 2016: 140.6 lbs...Feb 26 2016: 140.8 lbs
Mar 4 2016: 139 lbs....Mar 11 2016: 138 lbs.....Mar 18 2016: VACAY......Mar 25 2016: 136.8 lbs
Apr 1 2016: 137.8 lbs..Apr 8 2016: 136.8 lbs....Apr 15 2016: 135.8 lbs...Apr 22 2016: 134.8 lbs..April 30 2016: 133.6 lbs
May 6, 2016:133.6 lbs.May 13 2016:134.6 lbs...May 21 2016: 137.6 lbs..May 26 2016: 132.2 lbs
Jun 3, 2016: 133.6 lbs.June 10 2016:133.8 lbs..June 17 2016: 132.2 lbs.June 24 2016:131.2 lbs
July 1 2016: 133.2 lbs.July 8 2016: 133.8 lbs...July 17 2016: 133.4 lbs..July 22 2016: 132 lbs....July 29 2016:132.4 lbs
Aug 5 2016: 132.2 lbs.Aug 12 2016: 131 lbs.....Aug 19 2016: 131.2 lbs..Aug 26 2016: 132 lbs
Sep 2 2016: 131.8 lbs.Sep 9 2016:    130.6 lbs..Sep 16 2016: 128.8 lbs..Sep 23 2016: 130.6 Lbs..Sep 30 2016: 131.6 lbs

22.4 lbs lost
GOAL WEIGHT: 130 lbs (Stretch Goal 120 lbs)

Well, I said goodbye to my friend on Tuesday. Haven't gotten back to controlled eating yet though as I had work events (i.e. free food) on Tuesday & Wednesday. Very pleased that I only put on a lb or two. Especially considering we spent a few days in Disney World together :) I did push myself to do some extra workouts whenever possible, so that helped with the extra eating. And Disney is always a workout!

Really hoping I can get back to weight loss mindset. The last couple of days I have been recovering from sheer exhaustion (need a vacay from my Disney vacay!) so no exercise - just flopping around in bed. I'm going to give myself another day or rest and then try to pick up my activity level from Saturday onwards. Most importantly, I need to get back to controlled eating. Last night's dinner was leftover nachos. Plus I raided the M&Ms my friend gifted me during yesterday's afternoon slump and ate wayyyy more than I should (I actually felt rather sick afterwards).

I think my biggest challenge is learning to be satisfied eating small portions of my favourite treats. When I like something, I often eat vast quantities of it. Still working on changing my mindset that a small handful is amazing, wonderful, and ENOUGH!

My mom comes to stay for a long 2 month visit in mid-November. It would be wonderful to greet her with 5 lbs less of me. Even more wonderful would be to end 2016 hitting my stretch goal of 120 lbs! In the meantime, I am so happy to be where I am at. I was moaning about the last 10 lbs to my (always-been-skinny) friend and she said "You look normal again right now". And she's right - I'm no skinny minnie...but I am now a size 4-8 (depending on brand haha!) and I look NORMAL. It is an amazing feeling to love taking photos again and stop looking for people/things to hide my body behind.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1210 on: September 30, 2016, 10:02:28 AM »
Hi elaine - I feel a bit like you right now.  I've been allowing myself some food treats the last couple of weeks and I guess at some point they will need to taper off and stop.

I mentioned that I lost a dear friend a couple of weeks ago and I've been feeling sad and blue since then.  I hadn't really changed my food intake until last week when we had company and they brought me some premium chocolates and I've been eating some everyday.  And yesterday I had a bagel and some other carby foods.  I don't feel like I'm gaining, maybe I am but just don't notice, but I've been keeping to my exercise schedule and I figure that's a good compromise. 

However, I have noticed that the chocolates are starting to give me sugar energy crashes and I've been feeling antsy (anxious really), depressed, and unsettled this week.  I attribute these new feelings to the sugar since I was feeling ok before that.  I only have one more chocolate to go before they're all gone and then I want to get back to where I was. 

It's a bit shocking to realize how bad I feel when I'm eating this stuff.  It completely changes my outlook on life.  I don't like feeling this way.

It's also a bit disturbing that I keep eating that junk even when I'm aware of how badly it's making me feel.  Actually it's a lot disturbing.  :(

ETA:
You know, I'm going to cut myself some slack here and just relax about this.  Yes, the chocolate is making me feel crappy but it's not the end of the world or a moral failing.  It's just not the best choice but that happens sometimes.  No need to beat myself up about it.  I'm doing my best right now.  And I'm doing ok.  Not great, but ok.  And that's good enough right now.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:17:53 AM by M.Darcy »

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1211 on: September 30, 2016, 10:32:49 AM »
@M.Darcy Doing OK is sometimes a REALLY good place to be!

I think its important to acknowledge that life happens and there will be ups and downs. What's working for me now is an overall attitude of watchfulness. I keep an eye on my daily weigh ins and my trending weight. I don't beat myself up (too badly) when my weight trends upwards for a week but do take action when it starts going for too long. I know how to lose the weight, I know how to keep it off - so just have to keep an eye on myself and take action when necessary.

Also, need to maintain the resolve to NEVER have to go through the work of losing 25 lbs again. Oh...and nutrition. Sometimes in the quest to look good, I forget about helping my body FEEL good. This year has shown me how awesome vegetables and wholesome food can be for my body. My husband is so right - I need to be careful to fuel my body appropriately if I want to grow old and be a wacky grandma who wears purple with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me (have loved that poem since I was in my teens - before it became trendy!).

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1212 on: September 30, 2016, 11:21:11 AM »
Thanks elaine!  You're right.  Sometimes ok is a really good place to be.  I needed that today. 

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1213 on: September 30, 2016, 11:27:35 AM »
M.Darcy & elaine - I totally relate on the healthy eating.  It's amazing the impact of eating sugar and how it makes you feel afterwards.  And for me the risk of it setting off a binge too.  It's been so hard lately.  People are coming back from Hawaii with chocolates, candy corn in the breakroom (I love that stuff), donuts at least once a week.

I finally have dropped a pound after plateauing for over a week and hit the 95 pound lost milestone but 'm now feeling more worried about excess skin.  I've definitely been noticing more lose skin with the last 6 pounds or so lost.  I might have to change my goal weight to a bit higher to avoid being a bag of skin.  While I'm still technically "overweight" in the BMI category, a few people have told me that I look to be at my ideal weight so we'll see.  I might just work on lowering my body fat percentage as the goal for the next month.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1214 on: September 30, 2016, 12:14:27 PM »
In the meantime, I am so happy to be where I am at. I was moaning about the last 10 lbs to my (always-been-skinny) friend and she said "You look normal again right now". And she's right - I'm no skinny minnie...but I am now a size 4-8 (depending on brand haha!) and I look NORMAL. It is an amazing feeling to love taking photos again and stop looking for people/things to hide my body behind.

This right here! This is so great, I am feeling the same way. I feel really good about myself - maybe for the first time ever. I'm old/mature enough to not care too much about what other people think and to appreciate my body for what it is, and finally got to a size that feels/looks normal too.

Great job!

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1215 on: September 30, 2016, 12:24:03 PM »
M.Darcy & elaine - I totally relate on the healthy eating.  It's amazing the impact of eating sugar and how it makes you feel afterwards.  And for me the risk of it setting off a binge too.  It's been so hard lately.  People are coming back from Hawaii with chocolates, candy corn in the breakroom (I love that stuff), donuts at least once a week.

I finally have dropped a pound after plateauing for over a week and hit the 95 pound lost milestone but 'm now feeling more worried about excess skin.  I've definitely been noticing more lose skin with the last 6 pounds or so lost.  I might have to change my goal weight to a bit higher to avoid being a bag of skin.  While I'm still technically "overweight" in the BMI category, a few people have told me that I look to be at my ideal weight so we'll see.  I might just work on lowering my body fat percentage as the goal for the next month.

JoJo: You have lost weight REALLY rapidly. At some point, that will slow down...and it sounds like that time is coming. I'd say it's time to start assessing how the rest of your life will look like. What do you want your daily routines to be? I am assuming you don't want to live the rest of your life in deprivation. What is going to be your new normal? Who is your "new you" going to be? So very excited to see you take on the challenges ahead!

From what I have seen, the big challenges are 3+ years in. Very sadly, the 2 close friends I have who lost a lot of weight very successfully 3-5 years ago....are now letting the weight creep back on. Oddly enough, both of them have put on a lot of weight at about the same time this year (20-30+ lbs each). It's rough since those two have been my success inspiration. I've been paying attention and my assessment is that both stopped being as active as they were during/after the weight loss and stopped being vigilant. They will "lose the extra soon". I love them dearly and know how incredibly hard both worked to lose the weight initially :( It does make me a little nervous for myself - but onwards and upwards! I chose slow and steady on purpose so that I could get accustomed to a lifestyle I can maintain for the rest of my life. So far, so good and I'm just going to keep on keeping on.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1216 on: September 30, 2016, 07:17:04 PM »
Appreciating the great conversation here!

Just a quick update:
Eating optimally.
Did purchase three of the spiciest David Tea teas today.
Tried hard to find a sports bra so I can start the jogging I feel like, but no luck. All so tiny and tight! Recommendations?

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #1217 on: October 01, 2016, 12:13:31 PM »
I know it's not an option for everybody, but I jog in a regular bra: Spanx Bra-lellujah. The racer back style tends to be a bit less pricey, and buying them online brings down the price as well. I like them because the straps and band are made of super comfy, super stretchy material that moves with you much like most sports bras. They have normal underwire cups.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1218 on: October 01, 2016, 12:32:58 PM »
Thanks very much, oneday!

Regular might actually be fine for me too. My breasts aren't giant, and most of the time I wear no bra. So, maybe I should start by, oh, wearing one of the regular bras I already own, lol!

I think the pullover sports bras are poking at my sensory stuff, because I got panicked trying them on yesterday and now even looking at any online I feel the same. I think the not-pullover is the piece that's critical for me. Now I realize any with opening/closing will do.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1219 on: October 01, 2016, 03:40:46 PM »
I bought a Champion one which clasps normally on the back and has an underwire. Really like the support

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1220 on: October 02, 2016, 01:07:49 AM »
I'll need to get back into it. I broke my ankle in late July (required surgery), and I'm now able to walk again, but it'll be a while before I can run properly.

I have to admit I didn't change my eating habits all that much when I was immobile (although I did stop drinking for about six weeks), but my clothes still feel like they fit normally.

Original weight: 116.3kg
Last weigh-in's weight: 116.9kg
Current weight: 117.9kg
Goal weight: 90kg

I guess gaining just one kilogram over the last two and a half months isn't too bad considering.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 08:18:47 AM by alsoknownasDean »

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1221 on: October 02, 2016, 09:30:33 AM »
I bought a Champion one which clasps normally on the back and has an underwire. Really like the support

Thx, elaine amj! I'm going to try on some claspy ones today.

I guess gaining just one kilogram over the last two and a half months isn't too bad considering.

I agree. An injury can have such an impact, so this is good! So smart that you stopped drinking while relatively immobile. Glad you're getting back on the horse now :)

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1222 on: October 02, 2016, 02:13:43 PM »
I've been following this thread and you all have motivated me to get on the bandwagon. I have NOT been able to lose the 5-10 pounds I'd like to. I feel like I "should" be at my target weight because I work out, a lot, both strength training and distance running (running a half marathon next weekend), but that hasn't seemed to have done anything for me. I just cut out booze for the last month and that didn't do anything. However, I got a cold last week and had a suppressed appetite from the meds. I lost 4 pounds, which I know is probably going to come back, but it really showed me that I basically just have to eat less. So I signed up for Myfitnesspal and am going to focus on eating fewer calories. I overall have a very healthy diet, and at the end of the summer was focused on really ramping up my veggie intake. I'm going to continue to do that as well.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1223 on: October 02, 2016, 02:23:05 PM »
Welcome, brooklynmoney :)

Yep, several of us are finding that besides movement and optimal foods, portions matter (dammit). For me, I can freely eat lean meats, eggs, fruit, nonstarchy veggies. So I only need to portion my full fat yogurt, nuts, muesli, and garbage.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1224 on: October 03, 2016, 12:02:40 AM »
brooklynmoney -- welcome!

And I agree with what scrubbyfish says.

In my case, I am vegetarian (almost vegan) and for most of the things I eat such as fruits and veggies there is no need to track those strictly.  One thing that helped me was to understand the caloric density of food. The following chart is from the website.
https://www.pritikin.com/your-health/health-benefits/healthy-weight-loss/1318-why-not-just-count-calories.html

FOOD   CALORIES PER POUND
Vegetables   65 to 195
Fresh Fruits   135 to 420
Potatoes, pastas, brown rice, sweet potatoes, corn, hot cereals   280 to 650
Legumes: peas and beans, such as pinto, garbanzo, black, and lentil beans   400 to 750
Nonfat dairy foods   180 to 450
Seafood, lean poultry, lean red meat   400 to 870
Dried fruit, jams, fat-free muffins and breads, including sourdough rolls, bagels, pita breads, and baguettes   1,200 to 1,400
Dried cereal, pretzels, fat-free cookies, fat-free potato chips   1,600 to 1,750
Regular salad dressing   1,800 to 2,000
Chocolate bars, croissants, doughnuts   2,200 to 2,500
Nuts and regular potato chips   2,500 to 3,000
Butter, margarine   3,200
Olive oil, corn oil, lard   4,010

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1225 on: October 03, 2016, 09:28:01 AM »
A combo of things, including the weather changes both the colder temps and the fact that the sunrise and sunsets have changed so dramatically, has led to me increase my sugar and carb intake.  Not on purpose, but as a result of increased cravings.  It gets dark so early!  And it's so dark in the mornings too. 

I gave up coffee months ago and haven't missed it but lately I'm craving hot cocoa in the mornings.  Right now I'm trying to watch the sugar in it but I ran out of Splenda and am using some rock sugar, maybe 1 tbs or so - I make my own mix with unsweetened cocoa powder.  I also had a couple of cinnamon raisin bagels this weekend.  Luckily, it has not caused any weight gain.  I did my jean weigh in this morning and things are good.  Not a lot of loss, but some, and not bad considering that I feel very indulgent with my food.

This week I want to see how I can use an increase in non-starchy veggies to give me that indulgent feel without stalling my weight loss.  I would really like to have some sweet potatoes but that will cause my weight loss to stall for sure. 

Oh, and I want to make a big batch of broth with some oven roasted bones.  I think that will help a lot with the feelings of satiety.  Plus the collagen will be good for my joints.  If I can replace my morning cup of cocoa with a cup of broth it would be a big win.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1226 on: October 03, 2016, 01:45:34 PM »
I hear you, M.Darcy! It's cold in the night and morning here now, my kid is perpetually waking me at odd hours so I'm exhausted, my coffee machine broke, the local pool shut down... Argh.

Somemagicallyhow I'm still on track!

The broth is a great idea.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #1227 on: October 03, 2016, 04:21:49 PM »
Been struggling this last few days :( In a slump and feel like I'll be fat forever (even though I hit my first goal weight and I am at my lowest weight ever). Just got to make it through and the sun will shine again.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1228 on: October 03, 2016, 05:28:17 PM »
Been struggling this last few days :( In a slump and feel like I'll be fat forever (even though I hit my first goal weight and I am at my lowest weight ever). Just got to make it through and the sun will shine again.

Sorry it's been tough, elaine amj! I surely know how that goes: how we can "feel fat" even when we're not, and even when we're at our lowest weight or in our best shape. Sucks. You're right that it will pass. Try to keep taking care of yourself despite the "feeling like" part :)

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1229 on: October 03, 2016, 05:32:29 PM »
Just home from a "win".
Kid is wanting to try all the chain restaurants once each, as he'd never really gone to any.
I'm game, so we've been doing one every few weeks or so.
Today he picked a chain that wasn't in my WW book.
I decided to let him try it anyway.
I tried to find something for me, but everything was crazy: clearly high points, high grease, high carb.
So, he had his little thing and I had tap water :)
Both happy.
I felt no craving, no sadness, no sense of deprivation, just a solid "oh, no thanks."

Lately, I've been putting my DavidsTea stuff into my homemade "ice cream." Absolutely divine!

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1230 on: October 03, 2016, 06:42:36 PM »
Sept. 5: 148
Sept. 12: 146
Sept. 19: 145
Sept. 23: 143.5
Oct. 3: 140.5

Am feeling good about this! My pre-baby clothes are starting to fit me again. I wasn't as active last week because the weather was terrible, but I managed to eat well all week and take sweets and alcohol in moderation on the weekend. I'll need some strong willpower for next week though. We are going to visit the in-laws for a week around Canadian Thanksgiving. It will be hard to resit MIL's delicious muffins and desserts (and Thanksgiving dinner). I always gain weight when I go there because I completely let go and start eating carbs, sweets, alcohol. This time, I'll make a conscious effort to eat my regular low cal breakfast and have a light lunch knowing I'll probably indulge a bit at dinner time. I'll take the previous advice to up my activity levels to compensate as well.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1231 on: October 04, 2016, 05:57:35 AM »
First Tuesday of the month check in:

January 4: 153.0
February 1: 147.2
March 7: 140.2
April 4: 135.8
May 2: 134.8
June 7: 133.0
July 5: 132.2
August 2: 130.2
September 6: 128.8
October 4: 124.6

Doing pretty well. A mostly alcohol-free September was helpful, and being busy helps too, because I don't eat out of boredom as much.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1232 on: October 04, 2016, 06:03:10 AM »

I'm sorry you feel like this right now elaine amj. I suggest you go back to the beginning of this thread and read some of your posts and get a sense of how far you have come. I did it the other day and WOW! We are all doing so well. Even the attitudes have changed from, "boy, I'm crossing my fingers this works," to "I can totally do this." You will get past this emotional slump too. We're all rooting for you!

@scrubby - Awesome idea to put the tea in your ice cream!! And congrats at your chain restaurant win. I have really come to identify what I find 'worth it' in terms of calories, and what I don't. Chain restaurants - no way, not worth it. Even I make better at home, and I am NOT a very good cook. Great job - financial win too!

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1233 on: October 04, 2016, 09:27:03 AM »
Appreciating the great conversation here!

Just a quick update:
Eating optimally.
Did purchase three of the spiciest David Tea teas today.
Tried hard to find a sports bra so I can start the jogging I feel like, but no luck. All so tiny and tight! Recommendations?

Back in my soccer playing days, I had to wear 2 bras to have enough support - a regular bra with a sports bra over the top, neither underwire which I really dislike when exercising.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1234 on: October 04, 2016, 09:44:14 AM »
Chain restaurants - no way, not worth it. Even I make better at home, and I am NOT a very good cook. Great job - financial win too!

Yep, the stuff (except McD's fries and sundae, which I enjoy) is AWFUL. I prefer my home-cooked. But the kid? He is just amazed and thrilled and delighted to "get to be like on TV" where you go out and order something different every time, lol. Not much savings in staying home, though, as each visit is maybe $3 each. We eat pretty expensive at home.

Back in my soccer playing days, I had to wear 2 bras to have enough support

Got the sports bra. I really like it. Had a great experience shopping for it, too—phenomenal salesperson who understood everything, explained the differences in them,  measured me, whipped off her shirt too, etc.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1235 on: October 04, 2016, 09:45:59 AM »
Congrats to everyone who's going strong!  Keep at it!

I have an issue coming up with the changing weather:  my routine is all screwed up.

In the summer, I get up, do my workout, walk the dogs, shower, eat breakfast, and then get on with my day's work.  Usually summer evenings are pretty active in the garden so I'll normally take another shower before bed and sleep very well.

Now... the mornings are very cold and dark and I usually sleep in, drag myself out of bed and pile on pajamas and a sweater and cuddle with a mug of hot cocoa while I do my light box for SAD.  This pushes everything back - working out, walking dogs, eating a healthy breakfast, shower, errands, chores, etc... And my day feels completely unstructured and unproductive.

This morning I took a shower first thing to see if it would help, and it did.  I felt refreshed and energized afterwards.  But I don't really want to workout AFTER I just took a shower so that's going to be pushed back to I don't know when.  And working out in the mornings really, REALLY helps with food cravings.  I get those nice endorphins and don't have to turn to food for them.  I'm concerned that I will start eating for energy in the mornings and that will carry over the rest of the day.

I'm trying to figure out a cold-weather routine that will help me stay on track.  I always tend to gain weight starting this time of year and I'm trying to get a handle on it.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1236 on: October 04, 2016, 09:59:44 AM »
I hear you on all counts, M.Darcy!

Every variable (city pool closed, cold weather, different routine with kid school, etc) has a domino effect for me.
And I really hate showering at home same day as swimming.

I'm so far managing the changes via:
spicy food
amazing specialty teas in a morning thermos
hot, protein-centered breakfast (eggs, veggies, cheese scrambled this morning)
coffee out
treadmill vs pool
having a shower whenever I need to get warm, regardless of time of day, movement routine, etc

I tried to sign up to walk dogs at the shelter here, feeling this would keep me warm, have me outside, etc, but they have no dogs! Which is a positive for dogs, but now I need a Plan B for that part. I'm WWOOFing next week, so something after that again.

Would any of those be helpful to you?

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1237 on: October 04, 2016, 10:39:51 AM »
Thanks scrubbyfish!

The two that stand out are giving myself permission to shower whenever I need to for various reasons - getting out of bed, etc. and not feel guilty because I shouldn't 'need' to do it. 

The other is maybe scheduling a weekly outing.  I'm like you in that what I can cook at home is so much better than what I can get at an affordable restaurant, so I rarely go out.  Now that I've given up coffee and try to stay away from sugar and dairy, it really limits the things I can enjoy out.  But... there's something to be said for getting out of our regular routine and taking the focus away from should's/should not's.  Mondays are the most difficult for me, so maybe a weekly outing for breakfast would take the edge off.  I usually enjoy journaling on my breakfast dates and often get some interesting insights.  This is something to seriously consider.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1238 on: October 04, 2016, 10:43:48 AM »
scrubbyfish has lots of good suggestions.  One thing that I do everyday is chew gum - I've found the Dentyne peppermint is my favorite flavor & long lasting, so I basically chew gum all afternoon at work and occasionally on the weekend if I get a craving.  I buy the 60 piece packs for $3 so it's budget friendly.

I dropped another 3 over the weekend so now am at 98 lbs lost.  But some of this has to be water weight. 

Although I feel really healthy and am starting to think I'm looking pretty good at this weight (and comments from others that they think I'm at a good wt), there are so many online & government tools that say I should be much lower.
So, I haven't revealed my wt on this forum but doing it now - I'm a 5'10" female, age 43, and as of this morning am at 189.  I'm solidly a size 12, but wearing some size 10 & some looser size 14 stuff. 
According to BMI, I'm in the middle of "overweight".  Some online info about what a large framed woman should be and it maxed out at 160 for this height.  And, the last time I checked my body fat about 3 weeks ago it was 37% and 32% or below is ideal (despite lifting weights a couple times a week for the last months).  And then I read about the other folks on this forum in the 120-140 range makes me feel like a giant :(   

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1239 on: October 04, 2016, 12:01:12 PM »
...there's something to be said for getting out of our regular routine and taking the focus away from should's/should not's.  Mondays are the most difficult for me, so maybe a weekly outing for breakfast would take the edge off.  I usually enjoy journaling on my breakfast dates and often get some interesting insights.  This is something to seriously consider.

Beautiful!!!

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1240 on: October 04, 2016, 12:10:10 PM »
Although I feel really healthy and am starting to think I'm looking pretty good at this weight (and comments from others that they think I'm at a good wt), there are so many online & government tools that say I should be much lower.

Totally hear this, JoJo!

I too don't bother posting weights because while they give ME context, they wouldn't mean anything to anyone else, since we're all different genders, heights, bone size, level of muscle, etc.

I find the government charts...stupid irrelevant for me. They've just never been true for me. (Many government ideas are untrue for my body.) When I'm inside the chart, I am skinny, look sickly, feel very ennervated and yucky and cranky and mentally off. So, I ignore them and just go with where I feel great.

I feel like I feel and look right at the moment. I'm 5'4, 167 lbs. I am naturally quite strong, shapely, medium bones. I confirmed yesterday that in my old age, my boobs are indeed quite a bit bigger than they ever were before. I've been suspecting this for a year. So, that maybe adds a touch to the scale too. I suspect I could still look and feel fine at maybe 156, but based on now, I doubt I could go lower and be vital and strong and happy. No thanks, government!

At your height, I can see how your scale number could look and feel just right for you, yes!

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1241 on: October 04, 2016, 12:11:16 PM »
Jojo - I'm one of those people who's working towards 120 lbs, but I'm not 5'10"!  :)  I'm 5'1" if I'm lucky, somehow seem to be shrinking with age.  I think body type also has a big impact on how much one can carry.  I'm curvy and feel good at a higher weight.  Most celebrities at my height probably weigh 100 lbs.  I don't need to be that thin.  I find that even at 130-140, I feel good.  I would say to contemplate what size you feel good at, and like how you look, and aim for that.  Maybe you're already there! 

And remember, muscle is heavier than fat, so going by the BMI has lots of limitations.  My husband is very lean but according to the BMI he's overweight because it doesn't take into account the fact that he's active everyday so his body carries a lot of muscle. 

I think the important question is - how do you feel?  Are you happy with how you look?  Are you comfortable in your body?  Do you feel strong?  Do you feel healthy?   

ETA - scrubbyfish and I just cross posted and I like what she has to say about being vital, strong and happy!  :)  I think that's a wonderful goal.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 12:16:36 PM by M.Darcy »

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1242 on: October 04, 2016, 12:34:24 PM »
M.Darcy, did you just add the doggie photo in your avatar?!?!?! It is SO CUTE it is hurting inside me!!!!

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1243 on: October 04, 2016, 01:41:03 PM »
Thanks both for the words of encouragement.  I've been feeling particularly good and not having the cravings so let's hope this continues into the fall & winter.  With FIRE happening sometime next year I want to be the healthiest I can be to start my nomadic life!  First big stop: 40+ days hiking the Camino de Santiago - certainly will take less effort if I can keep weight under control.   One thing I've def noticed recently is how effortless just walking around town is.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1244 on: October 04, 2016, 04:37:08 PM »
...I want to be the healthiest I can be to start my nomadic life!

Awesome!!!! :)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1245 on: October 04, 2016, 04:54:00 PM »
Jojo, I feel you.  I am not quite as tall as you at *only* 5'7.5", but when I am around other women, typically I feel like a giant, too.

It was discouraging to see some people on here with a goal of 120, or other people with a starting weight lower than my goal weight! The feeling of discouragement has dissolved over time.  I realized a long time ago (teen age) that if I was taller, I would have to be heavier & thicker than the girls I was hanging around.  Or else I would start to look like a Holocaust survivor.  Of course, there is no danger in that these days, but the principle is still true.  I'm taller; I should weigh "more". More than the proverbial average woman, more than the women around me (for the most part).

So I don't really have advice.  I offer tall-girl solidarity, and the hope/wish that you can find a way to be at peace with this.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1246 on: October 04, 2016, 05:02:19 PM »
Thanks @rockstache! I know this slump is just a phase that will pass. Hopefully without too much weight gain! I'll give your suggestion a try :) Hubs would be happy since he is starting to lose his patience with me - poor guy. I've been huddled in bed refusing to do most chores and just doing the bare minimum in cooking.

By the way - congrats on your current numbers!! We started at more or less the same weight and I am so very thrilled to see your numbers drop this Fall! I'm going to have to kick my butt to keep up!

@JoJo Like everyone said, its just a number, right? Also - we have a lot of shorties here. I'm 5ft tall...which means I get to eat way, way, way less calories than you to maintain/lose (believe me - I am super jealous as even a couple of extra inches means more calories/day!). Of course, that's why my ideal is 100-120lbs.

I am at my goal weight of 130 now. I have a BMI of 25.39 and am STILL overweight! I totally understand it when I honestly look at my body though. I can clearly see the difference another 10 lbs would make since I am still nowhere near slender.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1247 on: October 04, 2016, 08:48:36 PM »
M.Darcy, did you just add the doggie photo in your avatar?!?!?! It is SO CUTE it is hurting inside me!!!!

Awwww, thanks!  I'll pass it along to my baby fur ball.  I did just add him.  I have 2 dogs and 1 cat - this little guy is Mama's cuddle bug, the other dog is a Daddy's girl, and the girl cat is the baby in the family and The Boss of Everyone. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 09:03:25 PM by M.Darcy »

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1248 on: October 04, 2016, 09:01:43 PM »
I've always been envious of tall women because there's so much more space for extra weight to spread out!  Mine has nowhere to go. :/  And all of it clumps up in my midsection so you really notice it.  I've been paying extra attention to my abs and shoulders and I'm looking a little 'puffy' right now since the fat is on top of my new shoulder muscles.  But it's cool to see the muscles starting to show through. 

I made a big pot of soup - meatballs with a ton of veggies.  And I roasted a big pile of bones and they are simmering in my big stock pot.  Also roasted some onions, carrots and garlic and will add those in at the end.  Also picked up some eggs and breakfast sausage to increase my protein intake after my workouts. 

Yesterday I only did half of my workout and I ate 2 bagels to make up for a busy day and being too tired to cook & eat a proper meal.  I felt terrible afterwards but I just went to bed and passed out. 

Today I skipped my workout and had 2 bagels again - I see a trend here - but I grilled some burgers and sausage for dinner and to have ready meals the rest of the week.  Tomorrow I will pick up some broccoli and prep a bunch of it to have ready as well. 

Today I showered first thing and felt energetic and got things done but my eating was not good.  Tomorrow I will workout first thing and see how I feel and how the rest of the day goes energy and eating wise.

Since we're all sharing our stats:  I'm 5'1", and appx 160 lbs.  It's kinda nice to talk about the numbers and realize that they are just that - numbers. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1249 on: October 04, 2016, 11:16:43 PM »
I've always been envious of tall women because there's so much more space for extra weight to spread out!  Mine has nowhere to go. :/  And all of it clumps up in my midsection so you really notice it. 

Ha!  I am on the tall side, and my weight clumps up in the midsection too. :(