Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2016  (Read 459497 times)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
Re: Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #1100 on: September 01, 2016, 06:47:07 AM »
Today is weigh in day for me.
4/15 - 138
4/22 - 137.5
4/29 - 137
5/5 - 136
5/12 – 135
5/19 – 135
5/26 – 134
6/02 – 132
6/9 – 130.5
616 – 129.5
6/23 – 129.5
6/30 – 127.0
7/7 – 125.5
7/14 –  127
7/21 -126 – ok
7/28 – 127.5 – hmmmm  I think I need a new scale!
8/4 – 128.  – knew this was coming.
8/18 – 129  -same as last week
8/25 – 127 – this is better.
9/1 – 126.5 – whoot whoot!

Goal : 120 lbs.
Feeling a lot better about everything. 
I haven’t been able to write down 100% of what I eat in my journal – but just seeing the journal sitting there on the kitchen counter has really upped the mindfulness. 
Still no cupboard doors hiding the snacks but hopefully that changes this weekend.  I think DH likes to see everything all at once.  The clutter is getting to me though.
We have been mostly eating outside these past few months.  The food tastes better.  It is now not so much fun because of the wasps.  So last three nights we ate inside.  One night I left the food in the kitchen and the other two, I put all the food on the dining table.  We had no leftovers because everyone kept eating.  When I leave the food in the kitchen we only take seconds if we get up and walk back into the kitchen.  Did not realize how much more I have been eating just because it is directly in front of me.

I must confess that I was once an extremely picky eater so that is why I cut my kids the slack.  Just as I was beginning to love the world of food, I became celiac.  So I can fully appreciate how hard it is to make meals a happy time.  And Oneday - I have a head start on most home cooks - my mom was a home economist teacher feminist farmer so my brothers and I were in the kitchen a lot from an early age. My brother and I are going to can six bushels of tomatoes tonight because that is the kind of crazy thing we do in our family.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1101 on: September 01, 2016, 08:17:16 AM »
Somehow gained 1/2 a pound but hit a milestone today - 5 full months without sugar!

I'm on Vancouver Island next week so I might be tempted to take a bite of a Nanaimo bar!  But just a bite.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1102 on: September 01, 2016, 11:39:08 PM »
Down 5.8 lbs (4 weeks)
No hunger/discomfort.
Total ease.

Starting to struggle again with the "eating regularly" part, so I'm setting my alarm for tomorrow morning to eat a big protein breakfast and pack a lunch before heading out.

Naturally moved around yesterday (more than my usual walking about), so it may be time to let my body do more of that.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1103 on: September 01, 2016, 11:59:02 PM »
Six days straight of really clean eating ... feel terrific! Why don't I eat like this all the time?

Adge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1104 on: September 02, 2016, 08:49:10 AM »
Six days straight of really clean eating ... feel terrific! Why don't I eat like this all the time?

Right there with you! I've had such a hard time eating well consistently this summer, which is ridiculous because I feel SO MUCH BETTER when I do. I'm trying to take it a week at a time now, to try to build the habit back up. One week on the books, shooting for 2 now.

Prior to this week of clean eating, I went to the beach with my family for a couple days, didn't eat terrible but I did eat a lot more processed food than I normally would, so I'm blaming most of that 5 lb gain on water weight from getting more sodium than normal. Particularly since it all disappeared this week, and I haven't had a one week loss that high since the first month.

Overall though, I'm pretty happy with my progress. I went clothes shopping last weekend and tried on about a billion things, all size 8 or medium, and every single thing fit! Y'all, I haven't been this small since middle school. So I know I've still got some struggles ahead of me and  I'm still working to get under 150, but it's kind of nice to have results that I can actually see!

starting weight as of mid-March: 175
5/6: 156.8
5/13: 155.8
5/20: 153.6
5/27: 154.6
6/3: 154.6
6/10: 151.6
8/19: 151.8
8/26: 156.8
9/2: 152
goal weight: 145

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1105 on: September 02, 2016, 09:45:20 AM »
Started around first of the year

Posted on May 27th (-40)
Today ytd (-57)

I am basically now in the 5# range I want to be in. All my numbers are good with the Doc and he said 7#'s ago I didnt really need to lose anymore but I just did. I never counted calories or anything but just made better decisions. In that I have increase a little more on my plate and still lost even slower so probably /hope to level off here. My plan has become pretty simple in that one day I go for a morning walk of 2 hrs +/- and then lift 30 mins and the next day I do 35mins on an eliptical and lift weight for 30-45mins. I love to walk and usually do it and am home before now the kids are leaving for school so does not impact my day and is so mentally good for me!

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #1106 on: September 02, 2016, 10:45:41 AM »
I am STILL just 5 lbs. down (i.e. 165 lbs. at 6' tall and 39 yo), and trying hard not to get discouraged.

I hiked 40 miles through the Sierra recently, had terrible altitude sickness and thus no appetite, and came home to find I'd lost NOT ONE POUND. I was the exact same weight as I was when I left. I wanted to cry. Usually, for me, there's nothing like backpacking to take the weight off, and quickly.

Then, I visited family in another city and ate all the things, and my weight didn't budge then, either.

I'm so confused. That is all. Onward!

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1107 on: September 02, 2016, 11:39:54 AM »
Wow soccerluvof4 - that's great!!!

I was having lunch with another woman at work that had noticeably lost alot of weight a few years ago and has done a pretty good keeping it off.  She said she had gone off of 3 medications!!! after just a few months of dieting and excising.  She was only in her 30s and had diabetes, high BP, and high cholesterol.  Now she's cured of all without any medicines for 4 years!  What an inspiration.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1108 on: September 02, 2016, 06:49:41 PM »
Evgenia: Lots of people lose no weight/size with exercise. What are you doing re: ongoing food?

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1109 on: September 03, 2016, 09:52:42 AM »
Started eating healthy this week but I realize my downfall is snacking (and late night snacking) in particular. I eat when I'm in the kitchen. Since I prep food for all, I'm there most of the time and end up eating something or the other :( I need to find a way to break this habit.

On a good note, I competed with a friend on one of the Fitbit challenges and walked like crazy (for me). Usually I'm happy with 5k steps a day but she pushed me to walk atleast 10k steps a day and sometimes more. Going to keep this momentum going since I realized this makes my toddler tired too and she sleeps earlier. And I get to spend more quality time with her.
 Sounds like win-win-win.

A big part of my culture is rice but all diets ask me to avoid rice. Has anyone eaten rice and still lost weight?

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1110 on: September 03, 2016, 07:58:26 PM »
Has anyone eaten rice and still lost weight?

If I had a cup of rice, I would be swapping out a lot of other options that for me are way more satisfying, filling, varied (interesting), and nourishing. So, I could eat rice and lose weight, but I'd probably feel weak, hungry, and lethargic, so I don't.

For example, in the Weight Watchers SmartPoints system, in which a person can and is encouraged to eat anything and everything, a cup of white rice would be 6 points. I could have 40 pieces of fruit for 0, or a chicken cheese veggie tostada for 6, and be way more satiated and still have lots of food room for the day.

A different body might be different.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1111 on: September 03, 2016, 08:12:28 PM »
I've been eating rice the whole time, but a typical dinner for me is a very small piece of chicken, huge helping of veggies, and about 1/2 a cup of rice. I'll put a drop or two of soy sauce on it or nothing. The rice is there but it's the smallest portion of my plate.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1112 on: September 03, 2016, 09:27:58 PM »
I'm so ashamed! I lost all that weight last year and decided to take a 1 1/2 months tour of the States and a 2 month tour overseas...I came back 30lbs heavier! It's time to kick in the afterburners again.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1113 on: September 04, 2016, 04:05:03 PM »

This is how I feel right now, well, not really, more the opposite.

I've been consistently eating terribly for a while now and have gained weight as well as felt worse... :(

C'est la vie. It's a war, not a battle, and while I'm pretty sure I've lost quite a few battles recently I guess I've not yet lost the war.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1114 on: September 04, 2016, 04:43:47 PM »
I've been eating rice the whole time, but a typical dinner for me is a very small piece of chicken, huge helping of veggies, and about 1/2 a cup of rice. I'll put a drop or two of soy sauce on it or nothing. The rice is there but it's the smallest portion of my plate.

This is key.

Notice my example referred to a cup of rice (and really, if I were eating rice I'd want 2-4 cups) vs a big ol' tostada. My body needs a lot of volume. It doesn't do well with "very small piece" of chicken. So, yeah, whether a person can or can't lose weight while including rice surely depends on metabolism, portions, other needs, what foods trigger vs reduce a person's hunger, etc. Getting to have only half a cup of rice would just make me mad ;)  In my mind, the ideal balance is the one you feel great on, while maintaining, losing, or gaining as desired.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1115 on: September 05, 2016, 08:45:29 AM »
What a weird week. I went orienteering again and ran the slightly harder course. It makes me want to practice running so I can get better times, but I'm still so bored with running for no immediate purpose.

I've been canning and freezing food like a mad man. The jams and jellies are so delicious! But I was stunned at how much sugar needs to go in each recipe. I'd love to cut the sugar, but it's important for preserving properly and you aren't supposed to mess with it. Anyone have any solutions for that? I do have some freezer jam that is better, but only so much freezer space! This year I've already had to turn on the third freezer (The first two being the top of the fridge and the small kitchen freezer)

My weight was way up all week (chocolate zucchini cookies) and just dropped down today for weigh in day (thanks weight fairy!) so I'm quite pleased even though I haven't lost any pounds this week.

I'm really thrilled and impressed to read all the successes here lately. You all give me hope that I'll find my motivation again. :)

Monday check in:

Jan 4 Starting weight: 160
Jan 11 weight: 156
Jan 18 weight: 155.2
Jan 25 weight: 156.8
Feb 1 weight: 155.2
Feb 8 weight: 153.2
Feb 15 weight: 151.6
Feb 22 weight 152.6
Feb 29 weight 152.2
Mar 7 weight 149.4
Mar 14 weight 149.4
Mar 21 weight 149.6
Mar 28 weight 149.2
Apr 4 weight 151.2
Apr 11 weight 151.4
Apr 18 weight 152.0
Apr 25 weight 152.2
May 2 weight 150.4
May 9 weight 148.8
May 16 weight 149.2
May 23 weight 149.4 (extrapolated)
May 30 weight 149.6
June 6 weight 148.4
June 13 weight 150.4
June 20 weight 151.0
June 27 weight 152.4
July 4 weight 149.6
July 11 weight 150.6
July 18 weight 151.0
July 25 weight 150.2
Aug 1 weight 148.8
Aug 8 weight 149.5 (extrapolated)
Aug 15 weight 150.5 (extrapolated)
Aug 22 weight 151.4
Aug 29 weight 150.4
Sept 5 weight 150.6
Goal weight: 130

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1116 on: September 05, 2016, 10:48:53 AM »
I've been canning and freezing food like a mad man. The jams and jellies are so delicious! But I was stunned at how much sugar needs to go in each recipe. I'd love to cut the sugar, but it's important for preserving properly and you aren't supposed to mess with it. Anyone have any solutions for that? I do have some freezer jam that is better, but only so much freezer space! This year I've already had to turn on the third freezer (The first two being the top of the fridge and the small kitchen freezer)

Most fruit can actually be canned without any sugar.  As long as the PH is ok for waterbathing, you don't have to add sugar to your preserves.  You'd just need to use the proper pectin to get your set.  My favorite is Pamona's Pectin.  It doesn't utilize sugar at all for set, which means you can use whatever kind of sweetener you want.  Ball and SureGel also make no or low sugar pectins.  Some preserves get kind of tart without any sweetener at all, so you'll have to find the balance you're ok with.  Personally, I prefer low sugar preserves.  Otherwise, I feel like I can't actually taste the fruit for all the sugar.  Sugar does help to preserve the color.  The low/no sugar jams tend to brown a bit quicker than the full sugar recipes, but the taste is the same.  The added lemon juice/acid that most recipes call for helps with color preservation, too.

RonMcCord

• Stubble
« Reply #1117 on: September 05, 2016, 02:50:05 PM »
Jan 4:175lbs.
Jan 28:169lbs.
Feb 27:162lbs.
Apr 1: 157lbs.
Apr 30: 151lbs.
May 31: 148lbs.
June 30: 144lbs.
Sep 1: 138lbs.

Not too sure how to turn off diet mode, so I just haven't stopped.  But if I go over my recommended calories it isn't a big deal since I'm below my target weight so if I gain a couple pounds I'm still fine I guess.  But if I go below 125 that's underweight territory so I have to be careful.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1118 on: September 06, 2016, 09:39:20 AM »
First Tuesday of the month check in:

January 4: 153.0
February 1: 147.2
March 7: 140.2
April 4: 135.8
May 2: 134.8
June 7: 133.0
July 5: 132.2
August 2: 130.2
September 6: 128.8

Wow, I'm under 130. I haven't tracked my weight in much of my adulthood but I'm guessing this is the lowest I've been since high school. My MIL called me skinny minny yesterday. I'm not, but it sure felt nice to hear! I've been lazy with calorie counting this summer (still counting them, but often allowing myself to go over target), but I'm ready to get back on track for the fall. I'll be avoiding all the pumpkin-spicy-comfort-food things!!

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1119 on: September 06, 2016, 09:43:58 AM »
...I'm guessing this is the lowest I've been since high school.

WOW, rockstache!

Are you feeling healthy, energetic, etc at this weight?

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1120 on: September 06, 2016, 10:21:46 AM »
Hi Scrubby. Honestly energy is a constant struggle for me. I am a very low energy person as it is - have been my whole life- and I have a sedentary job on top of it. My husband and I have been trying some natural energy remedies lately, and those have helped a bit. I have been tested for low iron, thyroid issues etc and so far have not found anything abnormal, I guess this is just how I roll. Since I know someone will mention exercise...I do not exercise. This is a long story and not a good one, but I have not yet found an exercise that I can stick with. We walk a bit, but that is all. Even that, I can only do for short periods because of chronic pain.

As for healthy, yes I feel wonderful! I am feeling so confident and happy in my skin. I am technically still considered on the heavy end for my size (5' 2"), so I can keep going for a while without becoming too thin, but I feel better and better each day.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1121 on: September 06, 2016, 10:46:22 AM »
Wonderful that you are feeling healthy, confident, and happy, rockstache!

I too am a naturally low-energy person. I feel very well and healthy, and all the moreso when I accept and honour that I am not hyper ;)   There are some activities I love: dancing freestyle, endless walks, stretching. Key seems to be the introversion vs extroversion in these activities. Many conventional ideas re: exercise have been very harmful for me, so I've learned the hard way what works best for me.

I have no concept of ideal weight for me. I know when I'm "skinny" I don't feel well: feel irritable, a little wiggy, etc. So, I'll be curious to see what feels "right" for me at this stage in my life. Right now feels just right. I'll continue my current eating pattern for as long as that's remains true. If my weight drop results in crankiness, etc, I'll add some happy chub on purpose.

Keep up the great work!!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1122 on: September 06, 2016, 11:25:50 AM »
Oh I totally agree on the introversion! Classes and gyms stress me out. Stretching is a lovely activity, thank you for the reminder. I think I will work to make it a habit.

I've never really dieted before, and I'm not really avoiding any certain foods now. I used to eat with a scarcity mentality - eating as much as I could, as fast as I could, often competing with my husband for portion size!! I don't know where that came from (poor childhood? military?), but obviously that is about the worst way to eat. Consciously eating slowly and mindfully, on smaller plates has worked wonders for me. It allows me to feel full before I am bursting, and has taken away a lot of the gastro problems I had previously. This thread has been quite instrumental in keeping me on track too. It is so nice to journey with others.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1123 on: September 06, 2016, 11:35:16 AM »
We walk a bit, but that is all. Even that, I can only do for short periods because of chronic pain.

Hey Rocketstache, I use to deal with chronic pain issues and low energy. The only exercise that worked for me is dancing around the house to music I like, usually well I am doing tidying and such. I started out just a minute or so at a time, and as I figured out my chronic pain issues (Apparently my Fibro was all diet related, once I figured that out I started to get my life back. I know most people have much more complicated underlying health issues) I just started dancing a little more and a little more, now whenever I am up and moving, I am usually dancing, to whatever music happens to be in my head at the time.

Another thing that allowed me to do a little bit at a time was I got a rebounder (mini trampoline) and put it right in the middle of my living room. I started just walking on it for a minute at a time.  Jumping and up and down movement is the only exercise that really moves your lymphatic system, and most people jump rope or do other jumping that is too high-impact for people like us.  I like to keep it in my living room because I think about and see it every time I go past it. Once you get comfortable walking on it, you can bounce without your feet leaving the tramp, or just go up on your toes with your heels leaving the surface.  You can also dance on the tramp :) It's much lower impact and low-stress and every little bit helps. Not sure if any of these ideas will work for you.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1124 on: September 06, 2016, 01:15:06 PM »
Hi Swick! Thanks for your comments. I very much like the dancing idea! My problems are back related. Some days I'm perfectly fine with only a hint of ache, others I can't even walk. Jumping is probably out, but dance moves could be tailored to how I'm feeling. I do love to dance (in private I mean - no real rhythm to speak of), but I've never considered using it as an exercise!

I love this community.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1125 on: September 06, 2016, 01:18:46 PM »
I love this community.

It loves you, too!! :)

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #1126 on: September 06, 2016, 04:14:39 PM »
Nice work, RonMcCord and rockstache! Your updates are inspiring. Way to go!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1127 on: September 06, 2016, 11:13:29 PM »
I made these awesome paleo turkey burgers for dinner tonight. Everyone just loves them. Be sure to make extra for snacks ... they're that good!

I'm a week and a half back into great eating and I can't believe how much better I feel ... why don't I eat like this all the time????!!! I'm sleeping like a log, getting tons done every day and generally just being a much more pleasant and happy wife and mother.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1128 on: September 07, 2016, 09:08:29 AM »
I made these awesome paleo turkey burgers for dinner tonight. Everyone just loves them. Be sure to make extra for snacks ... they're that good!

I'm a week and a half back into great eating and I can't believe how much better I feel ... why don't I eat like this all the time????!!! I'm sleeping like a log, getting tons done every day and generally just being a much more pleasant and happy wife and mother.

Those burgers look amazing!  Might have to try that next week.  :)

I'm doing lots of grilling right now because it makes everything taste better.  Helps with the satiety factor.  And it's great to have leftovers. 

J_Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #1129 on: September 07, 2016, 11:10:29 AM »
On the frozen fruit meld.  When you put in an egg, is that raw?  Then do you just blend it?

I know not everyone is comfy with raw eggs, so any which way is good. I will only use free range, organic eggs raw.

You can heat eggs in 138-140 deg F water (don't go higher than 142) to pasteurize them. 3-5 minutes held at temperature depending on size. 

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1130 on: September 07, 2016, 04:50:52 PM »
The last week has been super weird. We'll see how it reflects in my weigh-in tomorrow.

1. The weather changed. Went from very warm/hot to very, very cool. Autumn. This kicked in a craving for "junk food all day every day." Instead, I moved to bazillions of balanced snacks. I'm finding that if I eat something like, for example, 1/2 cup plain yogurt with 1/4 cup sugar-free muesli every couple of hours, I am free of the craving for junk.

2. I've had a virus, which really tripped up my eating. I decided to make myself still eat to my points every day. That actually helped, because it resulted in me making a very beautiful stew that alleviated symptoms.

3. Life is changing. I have a stressy project gig that's been impacting my oomph and between that and school starting, etc, I daydream of sipping high-cal drinks at Starbucks all day long.

So, I seem to be on track. But I needed to ninja these three issues to be such. Being conscious of them and making little tweaks seems to have worked.

Now I will write down what to pack for our lunches tomorrow, so I can get through the first tricky day.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1131 on: September 08, 2016, 07:40:41 AM »
Today is weigh in day for me.
4/15 - 138
4/22 - 137.5
4/29 - 137
5/5 - 136
5/12 – 135
5/19 – 135
5/26 – 134
6/02 – 132
6/9 – 130.5
616 – 129.5
6/23 – 129.5
6/30 – 127.0
7/7 – 125.5
7/14 –  127
7/21 -126 – ok
7/28 – 127.5 – hmmmm  I think I need a new scale!
8/4 – 128.  – knew this was coming.
8/18 – 129  -same as last week
8/25 – 127 – this is better.
9/1 – 126.5 – whoot whoot!
9/8 – 126.5 – holding steady

Goal : 120 lbs.

Habits check in:
Record everything in the food journal – 10% of the time only.
Eat sitting down at a table – 100% of the time
Snacking – 50% of days last week I did not snack.  The other days, bad bad bad.
Pretty much eliminated serving the meal family style.  Hubbies is ok with the change.  We both eat way less. 
Soft drinks – had two this past week.
Ice cream – three times this week.
Exercise - went swimming twice this week and went for three walks. 

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1132 on: September 08, 2016, 09:41:19 AM »
@rockstache Loving your new numbers! You are rocking it!

I've been MIA for a few weeks now - feels so weird! I hope to get back into checking here again regularly. Been busy lately with a lot of vacations to plan for. On top of my usual busy summer plans, a month ago, my mother tells me she is coming to visit me in November. We decided to add on a trip to DC and NYC for the both of us. A short while later, my childhood bestie (who lives on the other side of the globe) messages me saying she plans to visit me - she's hoping to come in 2 weeks! Then she asked to go to Disney World, so after some back and forth, I'm planning a weekend girls trip to WDW. To top off the craziness, DH and I had a few Southwest points left and just offered to take my FIL for a weekend in Atlanta this October. I feel like I am juggling so many balls in the air, its amazing I can keep them all up (I'm a super detailed researcher and planner - and yes, I do it all to myself lol!).

Back to weightloss - I went back into full weightloss mode 2 weeks ago when my bestie confirmed her trip. Was too lazy to calorie count though so decided to try just eyeballing things and being sensible. Plus I added back my 30 mins daily lunchtime walks.

I've gone up and down a little since then...but this morning, I'm a wee bit frustrated because in general, the scale is STILL NOT GOING DOWN!  I've started starving myself a little in desperation - fruit for breakfast, a thin miso broth soup for lunch, and a veggie-based dinner. I'm sure there's still sneaky calories finding its way into me at various times UGH. I should go back to strict logging since it worked for me before - but now I only have a week before she arrives so there's not much point.

My plan is to keep my meals light for the next week, keep up with lunch walks every day, and see where I am next week. I'm not worrying about food after she gets here though. Good thing she's only here for about 12 days! I think I'll go back to counting cals and logging with My Fitness Pal after she leaves.

On the good side, I'm still about the same weight and I am happy that maintenance has been EASY. I've been in maintenance since June and it has gone really, really well. Also, I started biking to work (just a short 20+ mins each way) in July and 2 months later, I'm STILL riding daily. its such a short ride that I really don't lose many cals doing it though. Worth it to save gas and wear & tear though!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1133 on: September 08, 2016, 01:06:26 PM »
I'm guessing your visiting friend probably won't mind some healthy food and activities.  I know when I travel I really get tired of restaurant food and inactivity.  Maybe you'll splurge more with her around but that doesn't mean you can't have some reasonable days too!

@rockstache Loving your new numbers! You are rocking it!

I've been MIA for a few weeks now - feels so weird! I hope to get back into checking here again regularly. Been busy lately with a lot of vacations to plan for. On top of my usual busy summer plans, a month ago, my mother tells me she is coming to visit me in November. We decided to add on a trip to DC and NYC for the both of us. A short while later, my childhood bestie (who lives on the other side of the globe) messages me saying she plans to visit me - she's hoping to come in 2 weeks! Then she asked to go to Disney World, so after some back and forth, I'm planning a weekend girls trip to WDW. To top off the craziness, DH and I had a few Southwest points left and just offered to take my FIL for a weekend in Atlanta this October. I feel like I am juggling so many balls in the air, its amazing I can keep them all up (I'm a super detailed researcher and planner - and yes, I do it all to myself lol!).

Back to weightloss - I went back into full weightloss mode 2 weeks ago when my bestie confirmed her trip. Was too lazy to calorie count though so decided to try just eyeballing things and being sensible. Plus I added back my 30 mins daily lunchtime walks.

I've gone up and down a little since then...but this morning, I'm a wee bit frustrated because in general, the scale is STILL NOT GOING DOWN!  I've started starving myself a little in desperation - fruit for breakfast, a thin miso broth soup for lunch, and a veggie-based dinner. I'm sure there's still sneaky calories finding its way into me at various times UGH. I should go back to strict logging since it worked for me before - but now I only have a week before she arrives so there's not much point.

My plan is to keep my meals light for the next week, keep up with lunch walks every day, and see where I am next week. I'm not worrying about food after she gets here though. Good thing she's only here for about 12 days! I think I'll go back to counting cals and logging with My Fitness Pal after she leaves.

On the good side, I'm still about the same weight and I am happy that maintenance has been EASY. I've been in maintenance since June and it has gone really, really well. Also, I started biking to work (just a short 20+ mins each way) in July and 2 months later, I'm STILL riding daily. its such a short ride that I really don't lose many cals doing it though. Worth it to save gas and wear & tear though!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1134 on: September 08, 2016, 02:04:12 PM »
Welcome back Elaineamj we missed you! Glad to hear that maintenance is going well. I agree with PMG. For me, the longer I let myself not worry about it, the harder it is to get back in afterwards. 12 days is a long time to adjust back to. Great job on the biking!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1135 on: September 08, 2016, 08:05:28 PM »
Thanks folks!! I think my plan will be to eat light for breakfast and lunch (as I will be at work during the days) then just eat whatever for dinner and treats. I am definitely planning to cook her some yummy zoodles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1136 on: September 09, 2016, 12:44:46 AM »
After about 12 days of no sugar, I broke today ... had a cookie. I baked cookies for my freshman son's university dorm and they smelled so good. REALLY regretted it ... it didn't really taste all that great.

On the positive side, went to an event tonite and ate zero sweets, even though there were cookies and a few types of bars and squares.

Aunt Flo came to visit tonight, so maybe that's why I was overcome by the desire to eat crap?! Harumph!

Back in the saddle! Had some leftover baked salmon and a small handful of fresh raspberries for a snack tonight. Former me would NEVER have made those choices, so there's that.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1137 on: September 09, 2016, 08:49:19 AM »
@1967mama  Aunt Flo really makes a difference. A lot of people who track closely report an increase in appetite for a week related to the menstrual cycle. Its just a once a month thing.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1138 on: September 09, 2016, 09:06:23 AM »
Its been ages since my last Friday weigh in! Thankfully, I've been mostly logging my daily weigh-ins on fitbit.

Jan 1 2016: 154 lbs....Jan 8 2016: 153.2 lbs....Jan 15 2016:149.2 lbs....Jan 22 2016: 148 lbs.....Jan 29 2016....147.4 lbs
Feb 5 2016: 145.2 lbs..Feb 12 2016: 142.8 lbs..Feb 19 2016: 140.6 lbs...Feb 26 2016: 140.8 lbs
Mar 4 2016: 139 lbs....Mar 11 2016: 138 lbs.....Mar 18 2016: VACAY......Mar 25 2016: 136.8 lbs
Apr 1 2016: 137.8 lbs..Apr 8 2016: 136.8 lbs....Apr 15 2016: 135.8 lbs...Apr 22 2016: 134.8 lbs..April 30 2016: 133.6 lbs
May 6, 2016:133.6 lbs.May 13 2016:134.6 lbs...May 21 2016: 137.6 lbs..May 26 2016: 132.2 lbs
Jun 3, 2016: 133.6 lbs.June 10 2016:133.8 lbs..June 17 2016: 132.2 lbs.June 24 2016:131.2 lbs
July 1 2016: 133.2 lbs.July 8 2016: 133.8 lbs...July 17 2016: 133.4 lbs..July 22 2016: 132 lbs....July 29 2016:132.4 lbs
Aug 5 2016: 132.2 lbs.Aug 12 2016: 131 lbs.....Aug 19 2016: 131.2 lbs..Aug 26 2016: 132 lbs
Sep 2 2016: 131.8 lbs.Sep 9 2016:    130.6 lbs

23.4 lbs lost
GOAL WEIGHT: 130 lbs (Stretch Goal 120 lbs)

Its AWESOME to finally SEE 130 on the scale! My frustration is that I saw it 2 months ago and have only had a teeny bit of progress since. And yet, I have to remember...I've been in maintenance all summer. I started maintenance averaging 133 lbs in June and I've ended September at about 131.4 lbs (according to trendweight). At the end of September, I'm going back to logging. I am getting eager to see some faster progress and its obvious (after the last 2 weeks of trying) that I can't lose weight without weighing and logging.  Probably eating too many frozen mangoes LOL! Kinda bummed because it was pretty freeing not having to log....but also more confident now knowing I can maintain easily without logging (the daily weigh-ins and constant vigilance is key though).

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1139 on: September 09, 2016, 11:26:25 AM »
After about 12 days of no sugar, I broke today ... had a cookie. I baked cookies for my freshman son's university dorm and they smelled so good. REALLY regretted it ... it didn't really taste all that great.

On the positive side, went to an event tonite and ate zero sweets, even though there were cookies and a few types of bars and squares.

Aunt Flo came to visit tonight, so maybe that's why I was overcome by the desire to eat crap?! Harumph!

Back in the saddle! Had some leftover baked salmon and a small handful of fresh raspberries for a snack tonight. Former me would NEVER have made those choices, so there's that.

After 5 months and 8 days with no sugar, I had an included Nanaimo bar on a tour yesterday.  Luckily it didn't trigger the want for more...they came around with a second round and I said "no thanks".  Hopefully this is a sign that I can enter small amounts of treats without triggering binges.  So far so good on this 9 day vacation to Vancouver Island... been eating really healthy until yesterday.  Last 2 days were included hot breakfast & lunches on tours, back to the stricter dieting tomorrow.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1140 on: September 09, 2016, 12:17:19 PM »
Wow elaineamj! 23.4 lbs is a lot of weight in (not even) 1 year! I would love to see that in scrubbyfish's butter image - that would be encouraging.

Yesterday we had (free) pizza for work at lunch. I knew ahead of time and planned to have self control. I have learned that one slice of large and one slice of small is a good amount for me. However, yesterday they only ordered large pizzas so I took two full sized slices and ate them. My stomach was not pleased by the overage. But I was happy because a year ago -I kid you not- I would have eaten 3+ slices and felt miserable for the rest of the day AND THEN TRIED TO COUNTERACT THE MISERY BY HAVING A SNACK! What a warped view. Next time that happens, I will cut a large slice in half and take 1.5, because I know my limit. I have learned so many lessons this year regarding food. And most of them have just been mental shifts.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1141 on: September 09, 2016, 07:10:15 PM »
I would love to see that in scrubbyfish's butter image

:))

I too am very impressed, elaine amj! Great work! How are you feeling, physically?

I don't know my weight change this week. I switched from a constant sundress to winter clothes. On the one hand, this left me considering buying a scale. On the other, I don't want it to be about "a number" that will fluctuate with a thousand variables (water, menstrual cycle, type of clothes). So, I might get a scale, but I also might not and instead just use a new starting point that involves winter clothes :)

Feeling very well, in any case!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1142 on: September 11, 2016, 12:04:22 AM »
@rockstache the butter image would sure be crazy! Good for u for learning so much about yourself. It feels empowering to be able to say no sometimes right?

@scrubbyfish THANK YOU :) I am so very glad I did this! I think I can move a little better physically which is nice. That said, I have been pretty active the last few years and done a fair bit of endurance training so it wasn't a massive change.

I like my daily weigh ins to stay vigilant but like u said, it can be easy to get consumed by a number. Your winter clothes idea might be a good one.

Its funny though. I am at my lowest weight ever and this week I have felt so fat. My clothes dont fit nice anymore and there's lumps that I don't remember being there a few weeks ago.

I'm splurging this weekend. Had 1/2 lb of wings and half a rack of (small) ribs for dinner. Then an ice cream explosion waffle for dessert. Spending the weekend out of town with close friends so lots more eating to go. On the good side, I danced for an hour tonight at a country bar. Tomorrow (today? Its 2am lol) morning I plan to get up by 8 while everyone else sleeps in and go for a swim in the hotel pool. Got to get some workouts in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1143 on: September 12, 2016, 07:36:50 AM »
Checking in after being out for a few weeks again. We completed our move last week, basically ate take out pizza for every meal for several days and I weighed myself yesterday.

I love cold pizza and coffee for breakfast! It is the one really bad college habit I've never outgrown.

Up a pound and half to 146.6. Not as bad as I anticipated.

Our new house is located within walking distance to lots of stuff so we've been out and about more than usual.

Walked to the farmer's market last week and loaded myself up with fruits and veggies. Had chokeberries for the first time since I was a little kid (my great grandma had a bush in her backyard). I've been eating a handful here and there and throwing them into smoothies -a bit sour but pretty good. I ordered a bike last week and will be picking it up today - am very excited!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1144 on: September 12, 2016, 09:33:36 AM »
I'm going to have to start getting serious soon, as this is getting embarrassing!

Monday check in:

Jan 4 Starting weight: 160
Jan 11 weight: 156
Jan 18 weight: 155.2
Jan 25 weight: 156.8
Feb 1 weight: 155.2
Feb 8 weight: 153.2
Feb 15 weight: 151.6
Feb 22 weight 152.6
Feb 29 weight 152.2
Mar 7 weight 149.4
Mar 14 weight 149.4
Mar 21 weight 149.6
Mar 28 weight 149.2
Apr 4 weight 151.2
Apr 11 weight 151.4
Apr 18 weight 152.0
Apr 25 weight 152.2
May 2 weight 150.4
May 9 weight 148.8
May 16 weight 149.2
May 23 weight 149.4 (extrapolated)
May 30 weight 149.6
June 6 weight 148.4
June 13 weight 150.4
June 20 weight 151.0
June 27 weight 152.4
July 4 weight 149.6
July 11 weight 150.6
July 18 weight 151.0
July 25 weight 150.2
Aug 1 weight 148.8
Aug 8 weight 149.5 (extrapolated)
Aug 15 weight 150.5 (extrapolated)
Aug 22 weight 151.4
Aug 29 weight 150.4
Sept 5 weight 150.6
Sept 12 weight 151.8
Goal weight: 130

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1145 on: September 13, 2016, 09:20:39 AM »
I did pretty well on vacation with the diet.  Had a few treats but managed to stay fairly active and lose another 4 pounds over the 1.5 weeks.  So, now the total loss in 2016 is 89 pounds.  The end is near - 38 pounds to my stretch goal (28 to realistic goal).

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1146 on: September 13, 2016, 10:53:53 AM »
Great, Jojo!!

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1147 on: September 13, 2016, 11:00:49 AM »
Does anyone else (the public??) have access to WeightWatchers Connect? Absolutely inspiring snippets all day long. I love watching those beautiful people get so healthy and comfy! I'm blown away, am coming to understand what pounds really look like, and am really motivated by these folks' journeys.

Two days ago on Connect, someone shared that a Wendy's small chilli is 5 'smartpoints'. I had a long day in town, had swum, stuff was going wrong, I was getting hungry, and had more to do. So I grabbed that. $1.89! In Canada! That'll be a new go-to.

I bought a scale, the tiny Taylor one. This allows me to stay on track even while skipping the meeting as needed, reducing my travel by kilometers, time, and money.

Swimming yesterday was incredible. Had the entire lengths pool to myself! Then time in the hot tub, steam room, and spacious shower. With the pass, works out to about $1.80.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1148 on: September 13, 2016, 12:03:49 PM »
Does anyone else (the public??) have access to WeightWatchers Connect? Absolutely inspiring snippets all day long. I love watching those beautiful people get so healthy and comfy! I'm blown away, am coming to understand what pounds really look like, and am really motivated by these folks' journeys.

Two days ago on Connect, someone shared that a Wendy's small chilli is 5 'smartpoints'. I had a long day in town, had swum, stuff was going wrong, I was getting hungry, and had more to do. So I grabbed that. $1.89! In Canada! That'll be a new go-to.

I bought a scale, the tiny Taylor one. This allows me to stay on track even while skipping the meeting as needed, reducing my travel by kilometers, time, and money.

Swimming yesterday was incredible. Had the entire lengths pool to myself! Then time in the hot tub, steam room, and spacious shower. With the pass, works out to about $1.80.

If I must eat out/ fast food, Wendy's chili is my go to!

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1149 on: September 13, 2016, 01:04:53 PM »
A lot of inspiring and amazing people on this post! It's a little late in 2016 but I'm joining. I think some accountability would help me lose this baby weight (my youngest is now 2!).

Starting weight is 148. Goal is 135. Will be doing Monday weigh-ins. No sugar and alcohol during the week. Letting myself drink wine and a bit of a treat on the weekends. My main downfall is bad habits when we travel (which we do a lot).

Sept. 5: 148
Sept. 12: 146