Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2016  (Read 459530 times)

scrubbyfish

Re: Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #1050 on: August 15, 2016, 09:45:10 AM »
I have no idea if I'm releasing any weight (no scale at home, weigh only once weekly at meetings), but boy do I feel better with this food! Strong overlaps with paleo, Whole30, etc. I'm realizing it would be harder for people used to more starches and/or processed foods, because of the learning curve, cravings, trying to fill up and feel good on the chemical foods WW sells, etc. I completed all of that aspect some years ago, so this time I have very few changes in ingredients or prep and am only learning about portion sizes, which I'm getting a real kick out of. All whole foods, all the time, but two tablespoons of peanut butter vs 1/3 cup nuts + a host of other big foods at the same sitting. I've felt hungry only once in 11 days. Love it!

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #1051 on: August 16, 2016, 09:29:35 AM »
Hi all. One week check in.

We have stayed on diet all week. We eased up at the weekend and had a few potatoes and some alcohol. Regrettably, the scales refuse to say anything other than 'Err' so, although I know I have lost weight, I don't know how much. Belt is on last but one hole and I am afraid to try on the suit but feel I may have to do so tonight. A bout of sciatica has meant I can do no exercise except mowing yesterday and later today, but it feels much better today. Plan to keep the regime going after the wedding on Friday and anniversary celebration next week. IT

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1052 on: August 16, 2016, 10:23:46 AM »
I've been pretty stagnant at this weight for the last couple of weeks. We are planning an alcohol free September, mostly for weight loss on my side, but also to kick off the school year (both going back for Master's) feeling refreshed and getting better sleep. Hopefully I can drop a pound or two as a side effect of that. Otherwise things are pretty boring, just chugging along.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1053 on: August 16, 2016, 02:55:19 PM »
@scrubbyfish So glad things are going so well with WW! It's so true that everything is about those portion sizes!

@Iristache Patience...the day is coming!

@rockstache It does feel like same old, same old, right? Going alcohol-free should help kick-boost things a little.

As for me...I was doing OK yesterday....then pigged out on HALF an apple crumble pizza after a dinner of sliders and pizza. In my defence, it was a thin crust pizza and was the best dessert pizza I have ever had (and I'm not a massive fan of apple crumble). Now I just dream about going back to this little restaurant. So glad we chose it for a work event. Now I need to come up with another reason why I should return. Except - its SO not good for my waist line or my wallet!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1054 on: August 16, 2016, 03:04:00 PM »
@scrubbyfish,

I'm coming at this from a Paleo/Whole 30 background as well. I'm using a plan called Trim Healthy Mama, which is basically fruit, veg, whole and sprouted grains, dairy (in the form of yogurt, cream, cottage cheese and cream cheese), and lotsa healthy proteins and fats (protein at every meal and every snack).

I, too, feel about 1000% better and I think that even if I didn't lose a pound, I really ought to keep eating this way. No more brain fog, no more lying around on the couch, lots of energy from morning to night to deal with the kiddoes, etc.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1055 on: August 16, 2016, 04:46:08 PM »
I, too, feel about 1000% better and I think that even if I didn't lose a pound, I really ought to keep eating this way. No more brain fog, no more lying around on the couch, lots of energy from morning to night to deal with the kiddoes, etc.

Yes!!! So glad you're having these effects too.

This is all in line with the medical diet my kid required, which I dutifully joined him in. The benefits for both of us were insane. When I do that strictly, I don't need to attend to portion sizes, but we no longer require the medical strictness, so do eat other stuff...at which point the portion piece comes into play.

I'm glad I'm learning this because I see my kid will likely need to one day also, when/if he ever slows down his rate of physical activity. He'll have this info in the back of his mind, and an example, and a support person in it.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1056 on: August 17, 2016, 06:23:17 AM »
Was reading in the USA Today about a cholesterol drug that costs $14,000 a year!  Wonder what percent of people could probably go off the drugs with just controlling diet?  More motivation to stick with a healthy diet.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #1057 on: August 17, 2016, 07:40:01 AM »
Well, I gave up for a while but now I am back on track.  I have started adding more protein to my diet and have cut back on carbs.  I am a carb junkie but I know I wasn't getting enough protein so I am making a conscious effort.  I added a protein powder to my day to ensure it until I get a handle on how I want to eat and make it a habit.  I have cut back my junk food drastically and am starting to add exercising to my day.   This last week, I am making better choices and am keeping to whole foods 80% of the time.  Knowing I am making better choices for myself has made me feel so good. 

I think I am still at 156 but will weigh myself on Sunday and make it my weigh in day.  I would like to get down to 140.  No more excuses. ....and more so than weight, I want to feel healthy and good again.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1058 on: August 17, 2016, 08:04:01 AM »
Right on, alleykat!!

JoJo: So true!!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1059 on: August 18, 2016, 01:27:09 AM »
I've decided to do another Whole30 starting September 1st. I'm so excited because I felt SO good on this plan and lost a bunch of weight last year. I've kinda been stalling lately so I think this will be the jump start I need! Anyone else a Whole30'er?

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1060 on: August 18, 2016, 10:44:22 AM »
Somehow managed to drop 3 pounds in 4 days of my business trip.  Probably isn't the healthiest way to lose weight but when a friend didn't meet me for the day, instead of a fancy dinner I just had an apple.  I ate a good breakfast, light lunch, and after the 2 happy hours (2-3 glasses of red wine) I just wasn't hungry any more.   On top of this, I drank a bunch of coffee, which I don't typically have.
It may be all water weight, but I have now hit 3 HUGE milestones just in the last 4 days - down 80 lbs in 2016, down 100 lbs from my highest ever in 2012, and am no longer considered obese by the US government!  I hate those BMI things... as a very tall big boned woman I think I look pretty proportional now - not borderline obese.  I regularly lift weights, hike 10 miles, etc.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1061 on: August 18, 2016, 11:06:39 AM »
I've decided to do another Whole30 starting September 1st. I'm so excited because I felt SO good on this plan and lost a bunch of weight last year. I've kinda been stalling lately so I think this will be the jump start I need! Anyone else a Whole30'er?

You beat me, 1967mama! I was popping into to invite anyone who is interested to join us :)

I love this thread and seeing everyone's progress!

It's been almost a year since I started the whole 30 thread and my weight loss adventure. In that short amount of time, I have gotten rid of all my Fibro symptoms, lost 71 lbs (so far), gone from a size 18 to almost fitting comfortably into an 8, Going from a high Obese to a normal BMI.

It's funny though, you notice the changes, but you are living them so it doesn't seem very dramatic, it's a slow acceptance of this new way of being. I had this exchange with a delivery guy yesterday that really made me realize how far I've come:

Package delivery, This guy is pretty young EARLY 20's. We had a lot of deliveries when we first moved, including our dishwasher (poor guy) so chatted with him a few times, enough he remembered my name in future deliveries.  Probably not had a delivery for the last 5 months or so.

Purolator dude: "I have a package for Mr. Swick"

Me: Okay I'll take it" reaches for the package, slight resistance from Purolator dude, doesn't want to give it up. He takes a long look, I could actually see the light bulb go off.

Purolator dude:  "You're not Swick, are you?"

Me: "Was last time I checked"

Purolator dude: "Wow! I didn't recognize you! Have you lost weight ?"

Me: "Yup, quite a bit"

Purolator dude: "You look awesome, congratulations!"

Purolator Dude: Holds out his fist for a fist bump

This was pretty much my first interaction with someone who I don't see that often. It was pretty awesome :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1062 on: August 18, 2016, 12:19:56 PM »
That's awesome, swick!

I had my first encounter like that at the public pool about 3 months ago. Someone who hadn't seen me since before I lost 50  pounds (and didn't know I was doing anything) was about falling over herself with compliments for me #somuchlove

Also, someone at church I hadn't seen in a year (huge church! multiple services!) walked right by me and then stopped and turned and did a double take and said, "1967mama???" Those moments are like gold!

I'm psyched to start my next Whole30 September 1st and am moving back toward Whole30'ish for the next two weeks so its not as hard to deal with. Feeling great after a breakfast made by my 11 year old son: eggs, celery, diced ham, and a sprinkling of cheese.

Ordered Nom Nom Paleo from the library again ... some good ideas in there!

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1063 on: August 18, 2016, 12:39:13 PM »
Purolator dude: "You look awesome, congratulations!"

Purolator Dude: Holds out his fist for a fist bump

hahaha!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...then stopped and turned and did a double take and said, "1967mama???"

AWESOME!!!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1064 on: August 18, 2016, 01:07:30 PM »
Today is weigh in day for me.
4/15 - 138
4/22 - 137.5
4/29 - 137
5/5 - 136
5/12 – 135
5/19 – 135
5/26 – 134
6/02 – 132
6/9 – 130.5
616 – 129.5
6/23 – 129.5
6/30 – 127.0
7/7 – 125.5
7/14 –  127
7/21 -126 – ok
7/28 – 127.5 – hmmmm  I think I need a new scale!
8/4 – 128.  – knew this was coming.
8/18 – 129  -same as last week.

Still holding steady. 
Right now there are no cupboard doors on any of the cupboards so I can see all this food every time I walk into the kitchen.  I am so aware of my reaction to just want to eat junk.  I keep trying to get the healthy snacks front and center and eat a good lunch with the kids but it is really hard. I have taken shopping back over as DH keeps buying bad stuff and I keep eating it.
Fortunately my work load is lighter at the moment.  I want to keep up with the garden and the fresh food that is so abundant and do a bunch of canning and freezing so that this winter things are easier. Tomorrow my daughter and I are going on an expedition to find a beach and hopefully buy some peaches and nectarines and blueberries to put down along the way.
It has been so hot that exercise has been really unappealing.  Have been doing a bit of swimming but mostly I seem to be working on paid work, on the house and in the garden.  I have been getting used to my new to me bike and have started doing more errands with it.  I got a basket on the back and have picked up groceries and met up with my son downtown for a Pokemon Go thing he was desperate to participate in.  We have never ridden bikes downtown before and rarely walked.  This summer we have done that a couple of times already.
I have been out to several dinners, a long weekend at a cottage with a fridge packed full of soft drinks and a couple of kids doing an ice cream tasting week and I am holding steady.  I am somewhat happy here and we are getting so much closer to having the renos done that I think the next steps are going to be happening soon.  Patience and keeping realistic expectation is working for me at the moment. And following along with you guys and reading of your efforts and sharing your success.  You all keep inspiring me.  So while I haven't made any progress in the last month, I not where I was.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1065 on: August 18, 2016, 01:15:42 PM »
Weekly weigh-in.
Down 2.2 lbs since start (two weeks).
Very comfortable, easy process.
No cravings or stress in it.
Look better.
Feel good.

And the best: The prompt that started me was my "waist reaching out to grab my arm when it dangles." This is no longer so. (I guess it wasn't my waist. I'm very "hour glass" so my waist was always in. It was fat that had developed above my hip. Now it's gone. Last to arrive, first to go.) Now I feel "just right" again, but I will carry on with this eating for all its effects.

2.2 seems like a tiny amount, but it certainly has effects. It helps me to look at or imagine two butter blocks of a pound each, and then I feel proud of my result.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1066 on: August 18, 2016, 02:12:06 PM »

2.2 seems like a tiny amount, but it certainly has effects. It helps me to look at or imagine two butter blocks of a pound each, and then I feel proud of my result.

Awesome way to look at it, I love it :D Way to go!

Jschange

« Reply #1067 on: August 18, 2016, 03:07:31 PM »
2.2 is huge. It is halfway to 5.

I bought a scale to see how my weight loss is doing. And it is...not great. Not bad, but not great.

I'm down about 9 pounds from January, but none of that is from the last month. And I'm eating cake.

Adge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1068 on: August 19, 2016, 07:44:11 AM »
It's been over two months since I checked in here, but the summer of craziness is over and it's back to business for me! Amusingly, it looks like I am the same weight now that I was last time I shared back in June- after that weigh-in I made it down to 147 (!!!) before bouncing back up to 156. I'm slowly working my way back down again, after a massive, multiple-week processed foods binge that made me realize that I still have no control when it comes to sugary things that are in my house, so I really have to be diligent about just not buying it in the first place. It's frustrating, I'm so good at convincing myself that "I'll just have a normal portion and save the rest" but I always go home and eat the whole dang package anyways. So I'm resolving to just not buy the stuff, and I've made it two weeks this time with no slip-ups. I'm feeling so much better , now I just need to remember that next time I want to eat ALL THE ICE CREAM. Two steps forward, one step back, but at least it's progress.

starting weight as of mid-March: 175
5/6: 156.8
5/13: 155.8
5/20: 153.6
5/27: 154.6
6/3: 154.6
6/10: 151.6
8/19: 151.8
goal weight: 145

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1069 on: August 19, 2016, 08:52:54 AM »
Adge, I'm the same: Can't have it in the house. That's key for me. I'm still eating All The Ice Cream but I'm making it at home: just frozen fruit, eggs, salt, a hand-held blender, and whatever else I want in there (whole ginger, vanilla, cocoa powder).

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1070 on: August 19, 2016, 10:25:54 AM »
Adge & scrubbyfish - count me in on that too - just have to leave bad foods out of the house.  The Big Binge of 2015 started by me picking up a couple free full size candy bars at a convention thinking I would take them as treats on a couple hikes, but the night I got home they were calling my name that started me eating the bad stuff all over again.  Always need to keep it out of the house. 

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1071 on: August 22, 2016, 09:26:41 AM »
Back from vacation with a couple extra pounds, but I'm certain some of that is muscle!

Monday check in:

Jan 4 Starting weight: 160
Jan 11 weight: 156
Jan 18 weight: 155.2
Jan 25 weight: 156.8
Feb 1 weight: 155.2
Feb 8 weight: 153.2
Feb 15 weight: 151.6
Feb 22 weight 152.6
Feb 29 weight 152.2
Mar 7 weight 149.4
Mar 14 weight 149.4
Mar 21 weight 149.6
Mar 28 weight 149.2
Apr 4 weight 151.2
Apr 11 weight 151.4
Apr 18 weight 152.0
Apr 25 weight 152.2
May 2 weight 150.4
May 9 weight 148.8
May 16 weight 149.2
May 23 weight 149.4 (extrapolated)
May 30 weight 149.6
June 6 weight 148.4
June 13 weight 150.4
June 20 weight 151.0
June 27 weight 152.4
July 4 weight 149.6
July 11 weight 150.6
July 18 weight 151.0
July 25 weight 150.2
Aug 1 weight 148.8
Aug 8 weight 149.5 (extrapolated)
Aug 15 weight 150.5 (extrapolated)
Aug 22 weight 151.4
Goal weight: 130
[/quote]

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1072 on: August 23, 2016, 09:07:43 AM »
I hadn't had my blood pressure checked in a few months.  There were times when I was very heavy and eating bad that it was flirting with 140/90.

So, this weekend I went to one of those machines in the grocery pharmacy and the reading was 110/59.  That seemed suspiciously low so I tried another machine a couple days later and that showed 106/64 so maybe it is about right!  This is about the best it's ever been in my lifetime.

Anyone else want to share any improvements in vitals?

As of this morning, I'm down 82 lbs in 2016.  35 more to go (or 45 stretch).

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1073 on: August 23, 2016, 09:15:55 AM »
...106/64 so maybe it is about right!  This is about the best it's ever been in my lifetime.

JoJo, that's AWESOME!!!!

I don't know any of mine :)   My BP has always been a tad low. (Funny, considering a family-food story I posted on MonkeyJenga's.)

...but I know I still feel great!

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1074 on: August 23, 2016, 09:23:08 AM »
"Feeling..."

One of the things I've learned in my journey is that the subjective doesn't always match the objective. For example, I can "feel fat" even when I'm not.

As we know, choosing optimal foods can result in a release of unneeded pounds. And yet, while we're eating optimally for our own bodies and feeling the wide range of effects of that, we can sometimes "feel fat" or feel like we "must have gained" or feel like "I haven't gotten anywhere this week." The fact that I step on a scale only once a week can exacerbate this, because I can't prove otherwise to myself.

Feeling like I'm not making progress can prompt me to self-sabotage, to give up, to resume eating randomly.

For that reason, it's critical that I recognize and remember that "feeling..." does not mean this is actually what's happening objectively. If I hold true to what I know to work best for my body, objective measures will reflect that truth.

Sharing this reflection in case it resonates for anyone else :)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1075 on: August 25, 2016, 09:56:16 AM »
Today is weigh in day for me.
4/15 - 138
4/22 - 137.5
4/29 - 137
5/5 - 136
5/12 – 135
5/19 – 135
5/26 – 134
6/02 – 132
6/9 – 130.5
616 – 129.5
6/23 – 129.5
6/30 – 127.0
7/7 – 125.5
7/14 –  127
7/21 -126 – ok
7/28 – 127.5 – hmmmm  I think I need a new scale!
8/4 – 128.  – knew this was coming.
8/18 – 129  -same as last week
8/25 – 127 – this is better.

Goal : 120 lbs.

Still finding it hard when I walk into the kitchen and can see everything.  DH has finished sanding all the cupboards so I am really hoping he can get the finish on everything and start putting the doors back on.  This past week was a little better on the eating because I got a whole bunch of fruit and veg into the house.  Sunday night I fired up the grill and made enough meals for the entire week.  It sure is nice to just pick something out to reheat for either lunch or dinner.  I cooked two egg plants – a food I have a hard time with – to perfection.  Both DH and I had seconds.  It meant this week was pretty good for dinner except for the coke.  DH put 8 cans of pop in the fridge.  I should just take it out and put it back into the basement.  I also made a huge jug of ice tea and put a little too much sugar in it. I keep diluting it with more tea just to make less sweet but it means I am drinking calories.  I cut out most of the wine  and cheese this week and I think that has made a difference.  Daughter and I did a little road trip and picked 15 pounds of blueberries at a farm and then spent the afternoon eating them and swimming in Lake Erie.  Pulled out my food journal this morning and am going to start tracking again to see if I can get the rest of the way to my goal.

I think feeling is really important.  I haven’t lost much weight since the beginning of July but I feel so much better.  I was quite happy at the beach on Friday and I wouldn’t have been a few months ago.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1076 on: August 25, 2016, 10:40:50 AM »
I've dropped down 2 whole sizes!  And I'm thiiiiiiis close to my decent weight jeans.  I can zip them up but they're a bit too tight for comfort.  Since I chucked the scale, these little triumphs keep me going on my slow and steady approach. 

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1077 on: August 25, 2016, 11:49:53 AM »
I've dropped down 2 whole sizes!  And I'm thiiiiiiis close to my decent weight jeans.  I can zip them up but they're a bit too tight for comfort.  Since I chucked the scale, these little triumphs keep me going on my slow and steady approach.

Awesome!

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1078 on: August 25, 2016, 12:55:51 PM »
Excellent, M.Darcy! I like your note re: slow and steady, because that indicates a mindful, healthy, peaceful approach :)

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1079 on: August 25, 2016, 01:03:49 PM »
Weekly Check-In
Down 4.6 pds (3 weeks)
It just...rolled...off.
Arms no longer attach to my hips, which was my main goal.
Much healthier than pre-food changes.
Enjoying some experiments with going out for "treats." (Had my first ever cappuccino, low fat milk, AND A BANANA at Starbucks. Who has a banana at Starbucks?!?! Sure never thought it'd be me!)

I wish I could post a yellow butter package for each one. That visualization helps me so much!

Also, I'm aware of not just pounds lost but pounds not gained in the same period. That's a big deal, too, so to me it's like I'm "down" more like 8 pounds, for the difference in what I am vs the me in the alternate universe is. (Does that makes sense to anyone??)

I'm starting to feel hungrier, which I've seen happen with me before at this stage, so I'm going to focus on attending to that.
I drink 2-3 litres of water per day, lots of protein, some starches, some fat, lots of fibre. I may just start eating more, period.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1080 on: August 25, 2016, 02:17:32 PM »
Also, I'm aware of not just pounds lost but pounds not gained in the same period. That's a big deal, too, so to me it's like I'm "down" more like 8 pounds, for the difference in what I am vs the me in the alternate universe is. (Does that makes sense to anyone??)

I totally get what you're saying!  I've been working out the last few months and I always build muscle faster than lose fat, so for me to be where I am means I've lost a lot more fat than it seems because it's been replaced by hard-earned muscle. 

Congrats on your recent accomplishment! 

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1081 on: August 26, 2016, 10:52:02 AM »
Great to see everyone's progress here, keep it up!

After flirting with 202-205 for a while, I got on the scale this week at 200.00lbs!  Very happy to have hit that #.  I've been gaining some muscle weight these past few months, so I've lost more fat than what the scale is saying.  My belt went from being snug on the 3rd hole, to the 4th hole, and recently it became so loose that I am wearing a different belt.  Starting this new-to-me belt on the 2nd hole :).

I had set a goal for myself to get to 196# by Labor Day, which I won't hit without cutting water weight.  I am happy with the weight loss though and especially the belt size coming down.  I am wanting to continue and work towards 195# before the start of deer season in October.  That's about 1#/week.  Second goal is 190# for January 2017 (so I can't gain weight over the holidays!).

Changes I have made that are working are i) riding my bike to work a few days per week ii) either lifting weights or walking for an hour, every day iii) packing smaller portions of food & making sure I have healthy backup meals iv) cut back alcohol about 1/2 what is used to be and v) continuing to generally eat paleo & staying gluten free (that stuff just kills me).

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1082 on: August 27, 2016, 09:04:46 AM »
I was posting over on the fitness thread and I've noticed that lately, when I think of 'rewards' I rarely think of food anymore.  Instead I'm thinking of things like trying a new workout, taking a nap, buying an electric toothbrush to improve my dental health, etc...  This is kind of a big thing for me.  I've always rewarded myself with food.  It's nice to change my mental definition of what it means to do something nice for myself.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1083 on: August 27, 2016, 10:23:10 AM »
Hotstreak, that's really awesome stuff!!! Congrats on all the belts-and-notches progress :)   Must feel amazing.

I really like that you don't feel compelled to manipulate the number on the scale just for the sake of a date goal, and that rather you see your amazing progress and feel happy with it.

I like your idea too of a maintenance/loss goal over the holidays. I will do that too, and moreso when I'm at my mum's in autumn, which in June is what kicked off my own gain in the first place.

M.Darcy: Yes to nonfood rewards! I've been doing the same. Or, not rewards so much but "nonfood breathers/support." So, instead of eating crap to cope with life, I've been taking myself out to read at a coffee shop. I didn't used to, and it's a gorgeous treat that's really helping me. Simple, cheap, beautiful, nurturing.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1084 on: August 29, 2016, 08:14:25 AM »
Starting to feel like a small yo-yo. I've been going up and down a few pounds since March!

I need to find the fun in exercising again. Joined an orienteering club last week. That made running fun, but the season is almost over already. On the positive side, I needed to tighten up my belt one more notch last week. I'm not positive if my waist got smaller, or the belt leather stretched. :p Normally I'd give my waist the credit, but it was a new belt I'd just finished making the week before.

I've been eating really healthy for the most part. I came home from vacation with a massive amount of veggies I'm trying to eat/can/freeze before they go bad, in addition to the ones in my garden. Cucumbers are my go to snack choice just because there are SO MANY.

Monday check in:

Jan 4 Starting weight: 160
Jan 11 weight: 156
Jan 18 weight: 155.2
Jan 25 weight: 156.8
Feb 1 weight: 155.2
Feb 8 weight: 153.2
Feb 15 weight: 151.6
Feb 22 weight 152.6
Feb 29 weight 152.2
Mar 7 weight 149.4
Mar 14 weight 149.4
Mar 21 weight 149.6
Mar 28 weight 149.2
Apr 4 weight 151.2
Apr 11 weight 151.4
Apr 18 weight 152.0
Apr 25 weight 152.2
May 2 weight 150.4
May 9 weight 148.8
May 16 weight 149.2
May 23 weight 149.4 (extrapolated)
May 30 weight 149.6
June 6 weight 148.4
June 13 weight 150.4
June 20 weight 151.0
June 27 weight 152.4
July 4 weight 149.6
July 11 weight 150.6
July 18 weight 151.0
July 25 weight 150.2
Aug 1 weight 148.8
Aug 8 weight 149.5 (extrapolated)
Aug 15 weight 150.5 (extrapolated)
Aug 22 weight 151.4
Aug 29 weight 150.4
Goal weight: 130

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1085 on: August 29, 2016, 09:29:04 AM »
So, instead of eating crap to cope with life, I've been taking myself out to read at a coffee shop. I didn't used to, and it's a gorgeous treat that's really helping me. Simple, cheap, beautiful, nurturing.

@scrubbyfish - I love this!  Good for you. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #1086 on: August 29, 2016, 10:52:45 PM »
I am now hovering around 7 pounds lost, and I have seen the number for 8 pounds lost on the scale twice within the last three days.  I feel safe to say that the first 6 pounds are gone for good, and if things keep going like this, then probably another one is ready to drop too.  Not the fastest, but I think it will stick.

I've stopped writing down my food, just recording weight (almost) daily.  It's remained a pretty good motivator.  I am of course still making careful, healthy choices as much as possible, though not all the time.

Well I am fluctuating between 7 and 9 pounds lost.  Most of the time between 8 and 9.  I saw 10 when I was sick, but that was just temporary because I'd lost my appetite.  I think it's time to mix it up a bit, as the graph seems to have flattened out over the last month.  Not sure what I'm going to do yet.  It's probably time to start cooking.  Won't have time for that until Thursday at the earliest.  I can see already that I will need to make big batches that will feed me for a few days at a time.

Anyone have any favorite (super easy) recipes?

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1087 on: August 29, 2016, 11:34:02 PM »
oneday, I feel like mine are all super easy. Here are my three main meals these days:

1. Veggie Egg Scramble - Start making scrambled eggs, throw in a bunch of pre-chopped veggies (stir fry mix, whatever).

2. Tostada - On a flat wrap, put salsa, then veggies (as above), then previously-cooked chicken or beef or tuna, then 1/3 cup low-fat cheese. Melt in oven 10 mins.

3.  Frozen fruit meld - Frozen banana chunks, dark sweet cherries, any other frozen fruit, whole raw ginger, salt. Add an egg for protein, or don't. Add a tbsp peanut butter, or don't. Add vanilla, or don't. Add cocoa powder, or don't.

I usually eat these every day, plus other fruit and veggies, peanut butter on toast with banana, etc.

No hunger, much happiness.

Though not necessarily being the cheapest option, buying the store's pre-chopped veggies and rotisserie chicken is making this change doable for me.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:23:39 AM by scrubbyfish »

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1088 on: August 30, 2016, 08:04:38 AM »
Oneday:
I have struggled with changing up my cooking to support my weight loss goal.  I am cooking for four people - two are very picky (son and daughter), two (me and daughter) are celiac, one is a super hungry teenage boy.  Thank god my husband eats everything happily. I haven't really been able to change the menu up too much because I just can't deal with it.  I just want everyone to sit down, eat together and not be cranky - appreciative is good.  It is so disheartening to make something - even something quick - and have one person say "what is this?"  with that tone that is really saying "this looks gross, is this all you made?".  Mostly I have upped the veg and fibre , made sure that there is a good source of protein (size of a deck of cards) and no calories in my beverage to accommodate my goal.
My quick go to meals are:
Beans and eggs.  (deep browned beans in tomato sauce from a can)
Nachos - and I load mine up with veggies and use the cheese, sour cream ultra sparingly.  Each person makes their own tray to personal preferences.
Sandwiches - with GF bread option.  To reduce the calories, I have open faced sandwiches. Must have greens.  Sometimes this is on a tortilla for the celiacs or a naan for the non-celiacs
Stir fries with very little sauce.  Non-picky eaters add sauce to their own dishes. 
Fried smashed  potatoes with cheese - little bit like potato cakes but they don't stick together.  Sometimes the protein is a poached egg or tinned fish.   One kid will eat the white and the other eats the yolk. One kid likes all fish, the other only eats tuna.

I haven't been able to switch everyone back to brown rice.  We used to only eat brown rice but then kids stopped eating rice altogether. 
I make a salad every night.  Without dressing.  So that it can be separated back into original components.  Hub and I add our own small amount of homemade dressing to our salad.  We try to eat the salad first.  The greens are washed and kept in a giant see-through tub in our fridge.  I have also really tried to increase the nutrition in the type of salad greens that we are eating.  We get an excellent mix from our CSA with way more nutritional content than the baby greens from the grocery store.
The past two weekends I have bbq'd all the ingredients I could so that we are eating leftovers most of the week nights.  This has helped immensely with the quick part.  It took about an hour and a half on Sunday to prep and cook everything.  The meat was cooked to rare so that it doesn't get over cooked with reheating. I roasted two pounds of potatoes, a tray of different veggies and two onions and a great quantity of polenta. 
I also heard from a friend that popcorn is not too bad so I pulled out the old hot air popper.  I found some super thin rice cake like crackers that also have corn and quinoa in them and I will eat them with unsweetened peanut butter.
So you can see why the weight is only slowly coming off. I am still eating too richly! But I have arrested the creep and if I can get the exercise component back on track, I think I will be in a good place.  I think eating at home from scratch cooking is going to be better than anything else.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1089 on: August 30, 2016, 08:16:10 AM »
I'm going though one of those periods where I'm working hard and eating well but my body looks like it's getting bigger.  I know it's because I'm doing a new workout and I'm developing new muscles that haven't been worked on before.  But it's making me feel a little antsy and impatient. 

I'm resisting the urge to try on my jeans again to 'check' for weight loss because it would be counterproductive.  I need to remind myself to trust my body and the process.  Deep breath......

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1090 on: August 31, 2016, 12:04:50 AM »

. Veggie Egg Scramble[/b] - Start making scrambled eggs, throw in a bunch of pre-chopped veggies (stir fry mix, whatever).

Thanks for this ^ idea, Scrubbyfish! I made it this morning for my crew (and myself) along with 2 lbs of bacon. We weren't hungry for hours!

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1091 on: August 31, 2016, 12:41:45 AM »
Ah, great, 1967mama! Bonus: It's easy/fun enough that my kid volunteered to make it for me three times in the last four days! :)

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1092 on: August 31, 2016, 10:23:38 AM »
I lost a couple more lbs over the weekend to get to 85 lbs total lost in 2016 and now have plateaued for a few days.  Next week I'm on vacation so I'm hoping at minimum to maintain but maybe not lose so much, but there won't be any updates until at least 9/12.  We have kitchenettes in some of our motels so hopefully eating out will be to a minimum, and good on the pocketbook too.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1093 on: August 31, 2016, 11:15:54 AM »
@JoJo - congrats on your impressive achievement!

Today I fit into my jeans!  This is my 'decent weight' pair and I'm very happy to be at this size.  But it's not my final goal, just my first one.  I have a couple more sizes to go for my final goal.  It still feels good to be here.  My tummy is my problem area and it's where the weight takes the longest to come off. 

What's your problem area?  And how do you keep yourself motivated to keep working on it, while also being patient with the progress/process?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 08:31:49 AM by M.Darcy »

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1094 on: August 31, 2016, 11:38:03 AM »
Congrats, JoJo, on two more pounds in your preferred direction, and M.Darcy on feeling happy in the next smaller size of jeans!

I don't identify a "problem area". e.g., I have giant thighs, but they are curvy, muscular, strong, so I have great love for them. So, except for this last bout of my "waist reaching out to grab my arms" (quickly resolved), I don't consider that piece.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1095 on: August 31, 2016, 02:20:31 PM »
Fell off the wagon a month back (health scare issues) and gained 10 pounds (ugh!) Recommitting myself to lose those ten pounds in two month since I have a conference that I'm attending and I want to be fit for that.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1096 on: August 31, 2016, 03:32:28 PM »
Fell off the wagon a month back (health scare issues) and gained 10 pounds (ugh!) Recommitting myself to lose those ten pounds in two month since I have a conference that I'm attending and I want to be fit for that.

I've got a conference in 2 months too that is one of my main motivators - are we going to the same one?  ;)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1097 on: August 31, 2016, 10:07:20 PM »
oneday, I feel like mine are all super easy. Here are my three main meals these days:

1. Veggie Egg Scramble - Start making scrambled eggs, throw in a bunch of pre-chopped veggies (stir fry mix, whatever).

2. Tostada - On a flat wrap, put salsa, then veggies (as above), then previously-cooked chicken or beef or tuna, then 1/3 cup low-fat cheese. Melt in oven 10 mins.

3.  Frozen fruit meld - Frozen banana chunks, dark sweet cherries, any other frozen fruit, whole raw ginger, salt. Add an egg for protein, or don't. Add a tbsp peanut butter, or don't. Add vanilla, or don't. Add cocoa powder, or don't.

I usually eat these every day, plus other fruit and veggies, peanut butter on toast with banana, etc.

No hunger, much happiness.

Though not necessarily being the cheapest option, buying the store's pre-chopped veggies and rotisserie chicken is making this change doable for me.

These all sound great, thanks!

On the frozen fruit meld.  When you put in an egg, is that raw?  Then do you just blend it?

Oneday:
I have struggled with...cooking...two are very picky

I am a picky eater too.  Somehow I feel I owe you an apology!

My quick go to meals are:
Beans and eggs.  (deep browned beans in tomato sauce from a can)
Nachos - and I load mine up with veggies and use the cheese, sour cream ultra sparingly.
Sandwiches - To reduce the calories, I have open faced sandwiches. Must have greens.
Stir fries with very little sauce.  Non-picky eaters add sauce to their own dishes.  Fried smashed  potatoes with cheese - little bit like potato cakes but they don't stick together.  Sometimes the protein is a poached egg or tinned fish.

These also sound great.  I am coming from a place of not liking to cook & not having much practice, so I don't even know WHAT to cook.  This is all very helpful.

The past two weekends I have bbq'd all the ingredients I could so that we are eating leftovers most of the week nights.  This has helped immensely with the quick part.  It took about an hour and a half on Sunday to prep and cook everything.  The meat was cooked to rare so that it doesn't get over cooked with reheating. I roasted two pounds of potatoes, a tray of different veggies and two onions and a great quantity of polenta.  I think eating at home from scratch cooking is going to be better than anything else.

Eventually I would like to be able to do this (batch cook, cook at home).  You are ahead of me!

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1098 on: August 31, 2016, 10:10:47 PM »
On the frozen fruit meld.  When you put in an egg, is that raw?  Then do you just blend it?

Yes and yes.

I know not everyone is comfy with raw eggs, so any which way is good. I will only use free range, organic eggs raw.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1099 on: August 31, 2016, 10:38:08 PM »

Yes and yes.

I know not everyone is comfy with raw eggs, so any which way is good. I will only use free range, organic eggs raw.

Thanks!  It sounds like a good breakfast to me.  And the extra protein is good, so I will have to do some reading on eggs.  In the meantime, peanut butter!