Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2016  (Read 459566 times)

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
Re: Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #1000 on: July 27, 2016, 02:02:05 PM »
I haven't posted in a long time:

4/2: 236
4/11: 233 (interpolated) (-3,-3)
4/18: 230 (-3,-6)
4/25: 227.5 (-2.5,-8.5)
5/2: 224.5 (-3, -11.5)
5/6: 221 (-3.5, -15)
5/9: 221 (0,-15)
5/16: 221 (0,-15)
5/20: 221 (0,-15)
5/23: 218.5 (-2.5,-17.5)
5/27: 215 (-3.5, -21)
5/31: 213 (-2, -23)
6/3: 213 (0,-23)
6/6: 214 (1,-22)
6/10: 210 (-4,-26)
6/13: 210 (0,-26)
6/17: 208.5 (-1.5, -27.5)
7/27: 203.5 (-5, -32.5)

A lot of travel, a lot of running and cycling, a little bit of weights and just trying not to go crazy with the food.  I fell off the food logging while on vacation and haven't picked it back up.  I'm frankly amazed that I didn't shoot up quite a bit.  Still not motivated to record everything, but will keep at the current approach for a while and see what happens.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1001 on: July 27, 2016, 02:24:49 PM »
I looked up this thread again after posting early in the year and making no progress. Some of you are doing AMAZING and are super inspirational.

I got fed up and joined Weight Watchers yesterday, and went to my first meeting. I'm hoping that weekly weigh ins will help me with accountability. I'm also going to refer to WW as "sugar rehab" because, let's be honest, it's basically AA for food addiction. Hello, my name is Lanthiriel, and I am a sugar addict.

Actually, there is an AA for food addiction.  It is called Overeaters Anonymous.  It is a 12-step program for people with various food issues.   

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #1002 on: July 27, 2016, 05:07:54 PM »
I looked up this thread again after posting early in the year and making no progress. Some of you are doing AMAZING and are super inspirational.

I got fed up and joined Weight Watchers yesterday, and went to my first meeting. I'm hoping that weekly weigh ins will help me with accountability. I'm also going to refer to WW as "sugar rehab" because, let's be honest, it's basically AA for food addiction. Hello, my name is Lanthiriel, and I am a sugar addict.

I am totally with you.  I made no progress at all.  Every time I lose a few, I find them again.  Right now too many of my favorite summer foods are out and there is just no use in trying to cut back. I am not giving up though. 

Keep up the good work, everyone.  Love seeing the progress.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1003 on: July 27, 2016, 10:27:39 PM »
@Lanthiriel WW is the only program I have seen actually work for people I know. The challenge is when you complete it - did u actually make a permanent change in the way u eat or did u just go on a deprivation diet? Because after the diet is over and u go back to normal eating, the weight can pile back on too easily. I myself used MFP which is similar in that everything is allowed, u are just weighing and counting. I used this group for accountability and the constant checking in made a massive difference for me. I took a maintenance break almost 2 months ago and so happy to report that its gone really well even though I don't log anymore. Yes, I have splurges more often. But I have also gained a taste for lower cal veggie based stuff. And I know what my typical meals should be and try to structure at least half my week that way.

Would like to drop the last 10 pounds but having a hard time convincing myself to be stricter again.

@alleykat it is totally a mind thing. One day, something will click for u and it will be easier. In the meantime, try habit hacking and tiny incremental changes for the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 07:06:48 AM by elaine amj »

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1004 on: July 28, 2016, 07:16:44 AM »
Well, its that TOM - which means I will likely weigh in heavier tomorrow :( At least I know why I've been bloated the last couple of days (well, other than a few more indulgences than usual!). With summer, I have been having more get togethers with bigger meals and a lot more ice cream and birthday cakes. So I have been trying super hard to keep my regular meals lighter and more veggie based to balance it out. Pretty much had to cut out my afternoon snacks.

e.g. this week:
Monday - lighter, more veggie based food
Tuesday - out for lunch with a friend (sigh) and then dinner and bday cake for my daughter's birthday
Wednesday - one apple for breakfast (on purpose lol) followed by free work lunch, work birthday cake & ice cream, veggie dinner, then ice cream (again!)
Thursday - normal breakfast, chicken salad for lunch, and veggie dinner (hopefully today works out to about a 1000 cal day)
Friday - light breakfast (100 cals), chicken salad lunch, and then I expect to eat a lot at a potluck dinner
Saturday - light meals again

I think this will balance out my week and I will stay in maintenance, even with all the crazy social eating.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1005 on: July 28, 2016, 08:20:51 AM »
Today is weigh in day for me.
4/15 - 138
4/22 - 137.5
4/29 - 137
5/5 - 136
5/12 – 135
5/19 – 135
5/26 – 134
6/02 – 132
6/9 – 130.5
616 – 129.5
6/23 – 129.5
6/30 – 127.0
7/7 – 125.5
7/14 –  127
7/21 -126 – ok
July 28, 2016 – 128– hmmmm  I think I need a new scale!

Goal : 120 lbs.
I got complacent.  I must get my food journal out and start recording again.  Losing the first 10 pounds was so surprisingly easy that I guess I thought the rest should just come off as easily.  But the soft drinks and ice cream and cake and chocolate and potato chips are getting into me at an alarmingly frequent rate.  So back to the drawing board.  I have lost the pudginess on my face but the belly area is still there. I don`t like the belly!  I think the change in my work life has kind of sabotaged me.  It is hard to come home after a long day off site and it is so hot and make a nutritious meal.  It is hard to bring a lunch from home and find a place to eat it.  And then on the train home I am starving so I have been snacking and then eating what DH has made for dinner too.  He is not a good cook and supper if very unappealing.  I need to figure out a way to get around this.  (mostly this involves stopping being so lazy)
Keep up the posting guys- you really do help me.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1006 on: July 28, 2016, 11:33:14 AM »
I got rid of my scale a few months back because I tend to get too obsessive with it if I have it around.  So now I'm focusing on how I feel, look, and how much muscle I'm building.

I've also been slowly reducing my carb intake and that's been helping a lot.  These last couple of days have been challenging in terms of wanting to eat sugar and junk but I've white-knuckled through it and finally feel like I'm back to my normal self.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #1007 on: July 28, 2016, 08:28:40 PM »
Cookie78, I am dealing with the same issues right now.   I am putting the weight loss on hold while I sort through a couple things.  It's enough (for me) to yoyo, as you say, in a 3-4 pound range.  I consider this holding steady, since the body likes to hold on to or release water weight on it's own schedule.  Just so long as it does not go up more than that!  And that I see the lower numbers occasionally too (I weigh daily).

Well wouldn't you know.  On the day I'd posted this (1 1/2 weeks ago), I was hovering at about 5 pounds lost.  And it was the last time I saw that number on the scale.  I am now hovering around 7 pounds lost, and I have seen the number for 8 pounds lost on the scale twice within the last three days.  I feel safe to say that the first 6 pounds are gone for good, and if things keep going like this, then probably another one is ready to drop too.  Not the fastest, but I think it will stick.

I've stopped writing down my food, just recording weight (almost) daily.  It's remained a pretty good motivator.  I am of course still making careful, healthy choices as much as possible, though not all the time.

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1008 on: July 29, 2016, 01:46:01 PM »
It seems like everybody is starting to hit a groove: we know how to do this and what we have to do to accomplish our goals, we just have to actually do it!

Happy to say that I'm down a pound, but we'll see what the official number is on weigh-in day, Monday. We don't have any plans for the weekend (aside from me going to a movie with some girlfriends tonight - both calories and $$ are already budgeted!). We'll be cleaning out the garage, finding stuff to sell, and getting our camping gear ready for a trip at the end of August.

I feel like I'm looking better. I am STILL not losing weight in my face. It's so weird, most people report that's the first place they lose or where it's most noticeable, but not in my case. Just have a cherubic look, I suppose. :-)

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1009 on: July 30, 2016, 11:41:14 PM »
@Microspice I have been finding that it takes a few weeks before I really see the difference. I agree - its all a little weird sometimes though.

I lost the bulk of my weight (18/19lbs) from Jan to March. In March, ot was only slightly noticeable. From March to now, I've only lost another 3-4 lbs or so. THIS is the loss ppl have noticed. In particular, the last pound or two have been more dramatic (and I see it too). Maybe it took a while for my brain to catch up and I carry myself differently? Also I personally think all the new clothes I bought helped since they fit better.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1010 on: August 01, 2016, 08:27:45 AM »
Back down below 150... Just in time for vacation. Lol. This vacation involves a 3-4 day canoe trip, so hopefully I'll get enough exercise to offset any bad vacation eating habits.

Monday check in:

Jan 4 Starting weight: 160
Jan 11 weight: 156
Jan 18 weight: 155.2
Jan 25 weight: 156.8
Feb 1 weight: 155.2
Feb 8 weight: 153.2
Feb 15 weight: 151.6
Feb 22 weight 152.6
Feb 29 weight 152.2
Mar 7 weight 149.4
Mar 14 weight 149.4
Mar 21 weight 149.6
Mar 28 weight 149.2
Apr 4 weight 151.2
Apr 11 weight 151.4
Apr 18 weight 152.0
Apr 25 weight 152.2
May 2 weight 150.4
May 9 weight 148.8
May 16 weight 149.2
May 23 weight 149.4 (extrapolated)
May 30 weight 149.6
June 6 weight 148.4
June 13 weight 150.4
June 20 weight 151.0
June 27 weight 152.4
July 4 weight 149.6
July 11 weight 150.6
July 18 weight 151.0
July 25 weight 150.2
Aug 1 weight 148.8
Goal weight: 130

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1011 on: August 01, 2016, 03:38:22 PM »
Weight Progress:
- 1/10: 133 pounds
- 2/22: 128 pounds
- 3/25: 123.6 pounds
- 4/28: 124.4 pounds
- 5/17: 123 pounds
- 5/26: 125.6 pounds
- 6/6: 128.8 pounds
- 6/30: 124 pounds
- 7/15: 126 pounds
- 7/16: 125.2 pounds
- 7/25: 125.8 pounds
- 8/1: 124.8 pounds

Goal Weight: 110 pounds

FINALLY going in the right direction, it would appear. Even after a weekend of debauchery. But, back on track today, with my Greek yogurt breakfast and chicken/feta/strawberry salad for lunch.

It's crazy how gaining or losing discipline in one area of your life has a domino effect on the rest of it. I'm getting more done at work these days, I'm reading more books, our spending is getting reined in, I'm purging the house of excess, and dare I say it, but I feel like I'm starting to find some balance in my life, after what has been a really, really rough couple of years. And I am attributing that, in part, to gaining some discipline over what I do and put in to my body.

I've said it before, but I am really grateful y'all are posting your successes and struggles on this thread. It makes me feel less alone and more empowered, and I just can't thank you enough for sharing your experiences in what is typically an emotionally charged and stressful trek.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1012 on: August 02, 2016, 07:57:39 AM »
I haven`t gotten the journal back out yet but I started to get back into the groove by declining cokes and ice cream on the many occasions that they were on offer.  We worked like dogs this whole long weekend on our house.  A number of jobs got done and we are one step closer to having the kitchen finished.  A big small job - fixing the hole in the ceiling where we relocated the light from and to got about six coats of mud (by me) and sanded and then cleaned up (also by me) so I could move back into the kitchen for the week.  There won`t be a light attached for a while while the dining room wall drywall catches up to needing primer and paint.  Seems silly to open two cans of paint for two square feet.  We are still debating the island so in the mean time I put the bbq cart into the kitchen and slim by designed it by putting the fruit bowl on it.  All the snacks are hidden except for fruit.
I know I haven`t lost any weight in the last three and a half weeks.  I think I have lost some of the resolve that I had back in April.  I fear I am in this complacent place again.  I don`t want to be singularly focused and be an annoying person at lunch but I also would like to get to my goal weight. Just not sure that I have the burning desire that I have when I stepped on the scale on my daughters birthday back in April. I am starting to understand those of you who are also tantalizingly close to your goal a little better about the maintenance.  While I am only about 8 pounds from my goal - that is also 40% of what I thought I needed to lose when I started this whole thing.  Maybe I need to shift my observation point.  I weighed about 108 pounds at 30 and 112 at 34 - four months after my first was born so my goal of 120 pounds was maybe not trim enough.  After number two child - I never got back to even 124 pounds.  Maybe I have fixated on the wrong thing - the number and should shift focus to physical ability.  Thursday is weigh in day and I will be thinking about this as that day approaches.
Bravo to those who continue to make progress. 
Happy to read about others who are struggling and persevering and sharing.  You also help me understand my own journey on this thread.  Please keep posting - I gain personal insight from your stories.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1013 on: August 02, 2016, 09:20:26 AM »

January 4: 153.0
February 1: 147.2
March 7: 140.2
April 4: 135.8
May 2: 134.8
June 7: 133.0
July 5: 132.2
August 2: 130.2

This was a really hard weekend. When I got home from work on Friday, my elderly relative had fallen and although not seriously injured, had to spend the whole weekend in the ER/hospital. I was there almost the entire time because she really can't understand the medical terminology anymore, and doesn't hear too well either. I tried to curb my eating, but it just wasn't entirely possible (and my willpower was lacking too), so I was glad to see that my weight only bumped up by a bit. She's home now and I am back on track.

I feel like I am at the point now where I can have a bad week/weekend/few days and just get over it. It's a mindset change, and it feels really good.

@microspice +1 this thread helps me SO much! I love reading about everyone's journeys.

@Frugal Lizard a few people here have seemed to have success by shifting their focus. The weight loss is good, but changing how you carry the weight can help even more, depending on your body type. This might be a great time to shift to a fitness goal rather than a number.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1014 on: August 02, 2016, 09:29:35 AM »
I've continued to lose an average of 1/2 pound a day and as of this morning show 74 lbs lost!  Sometimes I plateau for 2-3 days but then I'll lose 1-2 lbs in the couple days after.   Did a 10 mile hike last Saturday and felt great.  Hoping to do 2 hikes this coming weekend. 
Yesterday I pulled a dress out of the closet that still had tags on it and it fit great so I wore it to work!  Also trying to lose a couple more lbs before I meet an old friend on Aug 14th on an upcoming business trip.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1015 on: August 02, 2016, 07:25:01 PM »
I feel like I am at the point now where I can have a bad week/weekend/few days and just get over it. It's a mindset change, and it feels really good.

I sort of feel like that too. It's been a bumpy few weeks; I keep throwing my back out and then hobbling around for a few days, which leads to stress eating and also reduced exercise for a while. My numbers are up, and this week isn't shaping up to be any better. It's frustrating.

But I know I have to have patience and let myself go through this bumpy few weeks, put the brakes on where I can, accept it when I just can't. I'm in it for the long haul of years and decades, so a week here and there is no big deal. I'm eating more than I'd like, but the gains have been small, and I don't think they'll be hard to lose when my back has recovered.

Still annoying, though.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1016 on: August 03, 2016, 08:19:12 AM »
I got back from my long weekend camping trip on Monday and am pleased to report that I LOST weight. My diet included ice cream, butter tarts, a couple of bags of cheesies, handfuls of M&Ms, etc etc. BUT...I made sure I got at least a 1-1.5hr hike in each day and my meals were rather light (although I did eat my fill of ribs one night!). Still, one lunch was a single veggie patty and another lunch was an avocado and 2 hard boiled eggs. I have to say I am rather surprised since I usually see a small bump in water weight after a trip but even with all my indulgences, I guess I managed to keep my sodium intake reasonable. 

Also, yesterday I ate a cheesecake (440 cals) AND a large scoop ice cream in a yummy waffle cone (650 cals? OUCH - it was THAT bad?!). But kept my weight steady. Breakfast was my yogurt and granola (250 cals), lunch was 2 spinach cakes (150 cals - I did forget to eat my apple and chickpeas after that), and dinner was a chicken and rice soup (200-300 cals maybe?). I didn't plan such low cal meals...but I guess it worked out as I ended up eating only about 1800 cals all day (my maintenance is about 1700-1800 since I am so short). The desserts filled me up so I wasn't too hungry plus I was too busy and kept forgetting to eat my planned sides. Interesting because I felt like yesterday was an indulgent day.

@Cookie78 Concentrate on making sure you burn plenty of calories paddling and that should offset any extra eating you do. Usually on trips like that, I just make sure I do plenty of physical activity (squeezing some extra in whenever possible) and I'm just fine. As it is, I was on the lazier side with last weekend's camping trip as usually I manage about 3 hours of physical activity. (Helps that I LOVE hiking, canoeing, swimming, etc and happily do it for hours). Do tell us more about your canoe trip - are you canoe camping too? I keep thinking of doing something like that but really, really hate portaging (and so do all my canoe companions) and just don't have the right lightweight gear.

@Frugal Lizard It's interesting how you feel at different parts of the journey. A few months ago, I wouldn't even be able to imagine switching to maintenance just FOUR pounds from my goal. After all, how hard is it to muscle through? As it turned out, I did need that mental break and the past 2 months of maintenance has given me a lot of confidence. I'm only 1.5 pounds from my goal now and am hopeful I will (very very slowly) lose that by the end of August. I'd love to drop another 5-10 more pounds after that but still don't know when I'll be ready to be more focused and increase my deficit.

@rockstache @RedmondStash I totally agree about the mindset change. It's GOOD not to feel defeated after a small setback. To know that small blips in the journey will come but that the long haul can still look good. And @microspice is so right - this group and being able to read as everyone shares honestly about their journeys - oh boy, it helps SO much!

I just spent the weekend with a good friend who was the first among our group to lose some serious weight. He used Weight Watchers and went on a rather extreme diet (1200 -1500 cals for a big and tall man) and lost the weight very quickly. He then quickly picked up all kinds of sports including cycling and running (we both started long distance cycling together). It's been about 5-6 years now. Last year, I could see about 10-20 pounds creep back on. This year, there has to be at least 20-30 more pounds back on him. I know its his eating habits. He was involved in so many endurance sports for the first 5 years that even as his old eating habits started to return, he was still able to stay trim. He hasn't been running/cycling much for the past year and with his eating getting worse, its coming back. He told me he has started cycling a couple of times a week again so we'll see. Based on what I see of his mindset, I have a strong feeling that he is going to be part of those statistics that say the majority of ppl who lose weight typically gain it back within 5 years.  I hope he is able to reverse this - but it's hard to say. It's rather heartbreaking since his weight loss changed him rather dramatically (in a rather negative way). He started hanging out with a different crowd, started drinking more and partying more...and eventually left his wife of 20 years. Both my DH and I have complained that he isn't as much fun to hang out with as he likes different things now. If he puts all the weight back on, will his new friends and new girlfriend still be around?

It also makes me concerned about long-term maintenance. I naively thought that if you successfully kept the weight off for 2-3 years, that was it - you were set for the rest of your life. I'm starting to realize that this is not the case and this is something that will require vigilance...forever.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1017 on: August 03, 2016, 03:54:37 PM »
@Cookie78 Concentrate on making sure you burn plenty of calories paddling and that should offset any extra eating you do. Usually on trips like that, I just make sure I do plenty of physical activity (squeezing some extra in whenever possible) and I'm just fine. As it is, I was on the lazier side with last weekend's camping trip as usually I manage about 3 hours of physical activity. (Helps that I LOVE hiking, canoeing, swimming, etc and happily do it for hours). Do tell us more about your canoe trip - are you canoe camping too? I keep thinking of doing something like that but really, really hate portaging (and so do all my canoe companions) and just don't have the right lightweight gear.

I'll do my best! I hope to have enough time for hiking and exploring along the way too. Also, I'm bringing lots of fresh veggies and prepared at home before-hand foods, including pumpkin cookies! But the cookies are homemade and have half the sugar the recipe called for. Are there any good healthy filling campfire recipes anyone wishes to share??

We (My father, my dog, and I in 2 canoes) will be camping along the way. I've never done a multi day canoe trip before, but I'm super excited about it. There will be no portaging, and I also do not have the lightweight gear... yet. We will be going from Hudson's Hope, BC to a few miles past Dunvegan, AB where my family's homestead is. It should be 3-4 days depending on weather and exploring/hiking breaks.

In 2 years I plan to start an expedition by canoe from Hudson's Hope to Inuvik, but they are currently building a dam which will flood a portion of the valley near the start point, so I thought I'd better get on it and do the first leg ASAP before they stop letting boats through. Also it'll give me a good idea as to how much I enjoy or don't enjoy canoe camping!

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1018 on: August 03, 2016, 09:21:31 PM »
@cookie78 That's so awesome!!! As for recipes, I've fallen in love with roasting veggies over the fire. Just cut up a bunch of veggies (I usually do carrots, zucchini, peppers, eggplant, and mushrooms) and put them into a ziploc bag. Then add olive oil, herbs, and maybe worcestershire  sauce or salt (I used liquid aminos). It will keep for a few days in a cooler. Wrap in tin foil and toss in the fire for about 20 mins.

I also love roasted sweet potatoes - if u leave then for hours, they caramelize into deliciousness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:44:42 AM by elaine amj »

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1019 on: August 03, 2016, 10:42:11 PM »
I am the latest-ever arrival to a New Year's Party!

But, I'm in. Here's what I just posted elsewhere:

I don't have a scale, but I "feel like" I'm probably 20-30 lbs over my preferred size. It snuck up on me just the last three months. I know because in my journal I mentioned my body changing shape from swimming—it was "just right" to me—and suddenly the last while I gained until I (i) could feel fat reach out from my waist to try grabbing my arms!, and (ii) when I'm lying on my side, my legs look oddly fat to me. I'm not sure what happened: the month of travelling vs swimming? eating all those cookies at my mum's house?

I still don't "feel fat" or feel like I "look fat" but I'm not willing for this creep to continue.

So, today I joined Weight Watchers! I like how one of their approaches jibes perfectly with my optimal eating, and I feel I really need a "club" and mentor and live buddies to happily stay on track. We have no OA, etc, so it's WW. [I understand TOPS to be similar but much cheaper, but WW was 50% today.]

Being in this thread should enhance that.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1020 on: August 04, 2016, 02:03:00 AM »
I've continued to lose an average of 1/2 pound a day and as of this morning show 74 lbs lost!  Sometimes I plateau for 2-3 days but then I'll lose 1-2 lbs in the couple days after.   Did a 10 mile hike last Saturday and felt great.  Hoping to do 2 hikes this coming weekend. 
Yesterday I pulled a dress out of the closet that still had tags on it and it fit great so I wore it to work!  Also trying to lose a couple more lbs before I meet an old friend on Aug 14th on an upcoming business trip.

Ok that is staggeringly good work.... well done!!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1021 on: August 04, 2016, 08:47:15 AM »
Today is weigh in day for me.
4/15 - 138
4/22 - 137.5
4/29 - 137
5/5 - 136
5/12 – 135
5/19 – 135
5/26 – 134
6/02 – 132
6/9 – 130.5
616 – 129.5
6/23 – 129.5
6/30 – 127.0
7/7 – 125.5
7/14 –  127
7/21 -126 – ok
7/28 – 127.5 – hmmmm  I think I need a new scale!
8/4 – 128.  – knew this was coming.
Goal : 120 lbs

Next week is the final blitz on the renos, well at least the super dusty parts of it.  Then I can start to clean and find all the stuff that got packed away.  I can set up for hyper vigilant tracking.  And cooking won’t be such a pain – i.e. I won’t have to remove a coating of dust off everything before I use it.  Also working like a crazy person trying to get a job done and then having to switch gears to cook is just not working all that well.
I am eating way too much cheese.  I love fresh tomatoes and cheese salad and just about any other kind of tomato and cheese combination.  I am having trouble with breakfasts these days and then last night I had a second supper at 9pm.  Also the kids are at home and eating constantly in front of me.  I can’t seem to keep the fridge stocked with healthy food. And just noticed that the weight loss program fell off the rails around the time the kids started summer vacation….hmmm
It was so hot last night that I just sat in my lawn chair and watched my son play soccer instead of doing my laps around the park. 
End of whining-and-excuses.  Here is my plan for the next week:  Going to try and hold steady for the next two weeks just to get through this warm spell and final stretch of the mess.  Must do the grocery shopping so that the fridge is well stocked and adjusted for teenager eating habits.  Will go swimming with the kids to get some exercise at least three times. Will get the drywall compound done in the dining room so that my major dust generating activities are finished.  Will figure out a way to keep the dust out of the cupboards when DH is sanding the frames or plead with him to hand sand.

@scrubbyfish - thanks for dropping in - this type of party can always stand a re-invigoration
@elaine amj - hope your friend is able to find a way to his true self.  It is really hard to watch someone you care for make choices you wouldn't wish for them.
@rockstache - I think you are right.  I need to find a way to improve my fitness and add in more exercise to my lifestyle and changing the giggly bits to firmer muscle would be fab.  I feel a little overwhelmed with all the changes that are going on at the moment. I am trying to improve in too many areas - renos, paid work, clutter, food, finances. and just not doing one damn area all that well.  So hopefully over the next week I can start to get a sense of the critical path through all this busyness and clarify my purpose.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1022 on: August 04, 2016, 09:15:19 AM »
@cookie78 That's so awesome!!! As for recipes, I've fallen in love with roasting veggies over the fire. Just cut up a bunch of veggies (I usually do carrots, zucchini, peppers, eggplant, and mushrooms) and put them into a ziploc bag. Then add olive oil, herbs, and maybe worcestershire  sauce or salt (I used liquid aminos). It will keep for a few days in a cooler. Wrap in tin foil and toss in the fire for about 20 mins.

I also love roasted sweet potatoes - if u leave then for hours, they caramelize into deliciousness.

Sounds delicious! And I have SO MANY zucchinis (I grated up 3 zucchinis last night to freeze and it came out to 30 cups of grated zucchini! My dad said not to bring any veggies because his garden is overflowing and we can raid it before we leave. But I picked a big spaghetti squash and googled how to cook it on a campfire, and will bring a big zucchini too. Also I made some meatballs from ground moose a couple weeks ago and froze them, and still have lots of frozen tomato sauce from last fall. I think those should be really easy to heat up on the fire and should be delicious with the spaghetti squash.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1023 on: August 04, 2016, 09:42:19 AM »
@scrubbyfish The group support really does help so very much. Good for you for catching yourself before the creep gets too far. I still kick myself sometimes for letting myself go as badly as I did. I look at my photos from last December (VERY few exist) and they are dreadful. My daughter and coworkers say they don't remember me being too bad, but the photographic evidence is terrible. I must have added 5-10 pounds in the last half of 2015 alone. My photos from the first half of the year wasn't that bad.

So...I have been doing well on maintenance. But I would really like to drop some more. My problem now are treats. Since I loosened up, I have been eating a few too many treats. Desserts, ice cream, cheesies. I have no interest in cutting them out....but reducing the number of treats is a good first step - even just from a general health perspective. I really should get more nutrition into me. I did well yesterday, even though I was hit by a few strong cravings. I didn't end up having anything other than my basic meals - yogurt & granola bfast, chicken cranberry salad for lunch, and a delish tofu and veggie curry for dinner. I am thinking about going out for lunch just to see a close friend, but I brought frozen spinach cakes (quick & easy stuff from Costco) and some seaweed salad for lunch. Tonight is a basil tofu stirfry and a pork and cabbage omelette.

@Frugal lizard sometimes when you have so much on the go, it is SO easy to just let stuff slide. Sounds like too much cooking is not a good idea right now. What about sitting down and meal planning for a week, including breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's a lot - but then you'd be set. Write it all out and stick it on your fridge so you don't start putting your energy into changing things around. Plan easy, quick to fix, yet healthy meals.  Since you love tomato and cheese combos, plan them in ways that are yummy but don't use too much cheese. e.g. very easy to overdose on a tomato and cheese salad. But if you make a tomato and cheese sandwich/wrap, you don't have so much room for the cheese. Or make your salad, put a small amount of measured out cheese, then PUT THE CHEESE AWAY and fill out the salad with other veggies.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1024 on: August 04, 2016, 09:49:56 AM »
@elaine - you are so right.  Invest 15 minutes in menu planning before I go to the grocery store.  I also realized that I should do some cooking first thing in the morning before it gets hot and before I am dusty and exhausted and starving. 

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1025 on: August 05, 2016, 02:34:46 PM »
I'm forgetting my Friday weigh-ins. Time to catch up.

Jan 1 2016: 154 lbs....Jan 8 2016: 153.2 lbs....Jan 15 2016:149.2 lbs....Jan 22 2016: 148 lbs.....Jan 29 2016....147.4 lbs
Feb 5 2016: 145.2 lbs..Feb 12 2016: 142.8 lbs..Feb 19 2016: 140.6 lbs...Feb 26 2016: 140.8 lbs
Mar 4 2016: 139 lbs....Mar 11 2016: 138 lbs.....Mar 18 2016: VACAY......Mar 25 2016: 136.8 lbs
Apr 1 2016: 137.8 lbs..Apr 8 2016: 136.8 lbs....Apr 15 2016: 135.8 lbs...Apr 22 2016: 134.8 lbs..April 30 2016: 133.6 lbs
May 6, 2016:133.6 lbs.May 13 2016:134.6 lbs...May 21 2016: 137.6 lbs..May 26 2016: 132.2 lbs
Jun 3, 2016: 133.6 lbs.June 10 2016:133.8 lbs..June 17 2016: 132.2 lbs.June 24 2016:131.2 lbs
July 1 2016: 133.2 lbs.July 8 2016: 133.8 lbs...July 17 2016: 133.4 lbs..July 22 2016: 132 lbs....July 29 2016:132.4 lbs
Aug 5 2016: 132.2 lbs

21.8 lbs lost
GOAL WEIGHT: 130 lbs (Stretch Goal 120 lbs)

I was hoping I was firmly in the 131s and that I would be able to report the 130s this week, but the last couple of days I have been back to the 132s. Oh well, there's always the week ahead.

senorpanqueque

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1026 on: August 05, 2016, 08:47:00 PM »
I jogged to my parents' house on Friday to use their scale.. was pleasantly surprised to see my weight at 188.. breaking the 190 mark for the first time in a long time. How much of that weight loss was due to water weight lost, I'm not really sure.

Spring sports start for me this week, so hopefully that will help continue towards my goal - going to try to jog to my sports events wherever it is feasible as well.

I love watching sports, especially this time of year - baseball, NHL playoffs, NBA playoffs, so rather than sitting on my butt for 4 hours, I've started trying to stand for the majority of the game, and do some movement as well - doing dances for goals, pushups during breaks, etc. It kind of makes the games more exciting!

Congrats to everyone on their continued success - keep pushing!

Weighed in at 183.6 this morning from a starting weight of 208ish on March 6th or so.

So I guess that's the 25 lb. milestone!

I should say that some of that drop may just be water-weight. I put in about 20km or so combined of running, walking, jogging, so I was sweating pretty hard. We'll see if I can maintain it through a weekend that will start with Chicken Korma and beer..

It's been a while since I've updated.. sorry about that. My weight has been ebbing and flowing for the past 6 weeks or so. You know.. summer. Week at the cottage, wedding weekends, etc. Making sure to stay active and at least eat healthier than summers before. The lowest I have reached is 173 I believe, and am currently sitting at 175. Well I was this morning.. but lunch with the boss, on my 4th beer right now.. perhaps a little higher. Anyways, I find my unhealthy weekends pose as just water weight these days. As long as I get back to a good routine during the week, I can get back down fairly easily.

Obviously it's been a lot easier to maintain than it was to lose. I don't know if I'm satisfied with my weight (I think I'm on the higher end of normal in terms of BMI), but wouldn't mind getting rid of some more "gut". May introduce some weights in the fall to hopefully aid with that.Have had to spend some money on new clothes which is awesome and terrible at the same time.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1027 on: August 07, 2016, 10:08:14 AM »
I'm in shock. Have been eating large-ish meals for the last couple of days (last night I was telling myself I need to quit eating the meals I cook for my kids and cook more veggie meals for DH and I) - I thought my scale would for sure show a gain. Instead...this morning, I dropped down to 130.8 lbs (from 132.2 lbs on Friday). I am hosting a dinner at my house tonight and will do my best to be reasonable. Part of my menu will be my favourite zoodles so will fill up on that and less on the other stuff I am cooking. I did skip breakfast and only had a 300+cal lunch. I can easily eat a large 1000 calorie dinner and still be in a deficit :)

Was also nice to wake up to a compliment on a recent photo I posted on Facebook.

@senorpanqueque That's so awesome that you are finding it easy to switch back to your regular routine on weekdays and relax more on weekends. And that maintenance has been proving to be relatively easy. That means you have made a change to your habit that works and is much more likely to stick in the long term!

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1028 on: August 07, 2016, 10:42:25 AM »
I'm on Day 4 of Weight Watchers. It pushes me to eat only my optimal foods (which triggers a clear head and big happiness), and more frequently, and to ensure sheer volume daily.

I'm noticing my triggers: every time my internet cuts out, when the AirBnBers start up with big noise.

Feeling GREAT.

On the one hand, I'll be surprised if anything shifts this week as I'm newly eating several cups of fruit each day. On the other, I realize the weekly weigh-in will likely show progress in any case—because my first weigh was pre-period, which always adds a few for me, ha!

Loving it. Very grateful.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1029 on: August 07, 2016, 11:33:25 PM »
I was shocked to see a photo of myself at a wedding yesterday - I look a lot different with 48 pounds gone (took a year). Still a ways to go, but happy and surprised by my progress...its definitely a journey, not a race.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1030 on: August 08, 2016, 07:27:36 AM »
I was shocked to see a photo of myself at a wedding yesterday - I look a lot different with 48 pounds gone (took a year). Still a ways to go, but happy and surprised by my progress...its definitely a journey, not a race.

I think I need to keep this in mind more.

Summer is really rough for me weightwise as we travel and I tend to eat more. Weddings, being with family, none of these are really good for eating less or healthy.

I'm probably back to where I started for this race journey which is really frustrating.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1031 on: August 08, 2016, 08:42:57 AM »
Bravo 1967mama - well done.

I made it through the weekend ok - did a menu plan and spend a good amount at the bbq so this week is solidly prepared for healthy eating.  Too much good food available at this time of year and I just want to eat and eat and eat!

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1032 on: August 08, 2016, 08:56:39 AM »
Sounds like everyone is having a good week.  I ate really well all week and got moderate exercise, yet I seemed to gain and lose the same one pound all week.  I hate plateaus.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1033 on: August 08, 2016, 12:40:11 PM »
@scrubbyfish Glad to hear WW is working well for you. More nutrition is always a great thing for your body!

@1967mama Its amazing to see those photos isn't it? I recently hunted for a photo of myself from Dec 2015 (started this Jan 2016) and got a shock at just how bad things were getting. My daughter said I wasn't that bad, but we dug through and found photo after photo proving the point. Eeek.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1034 on: August 08, 2016, 11:36:28 PM »
Thanks for the kind words here ... it was incredibly motivating to have seen that picture .. I ate reallllllly well today :-)

lordmetroid

• Stubble
« Reply #1035 on: August 09, 2016, 04:12:18 AM »
I have been eating according to LCHF. Id est removing all carbohydrate and processed foods in favor of green vegetables and more fatty sauces and butter. Works great and I lost 1/3 of my body weight. The only hardship you will have is the first month when the body transitions from burning carbohydrates to fat as its regular fuel. However as long as you cook a meal when you are feeling hungry you should be okay.

Irishtache

• Stubble
Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #1036 on: August 09, 2016, 05:25:13 AM »
Hi. Very late to this thread. Impending(within 2 weeks) need to get into a suit I bought >2yrs ago means I started the 'Mayo Clinic Diet' last Thursday. I know it is not connected to the actual Mayo Clinic, it is really a variation of the Hollywood/Grapefruit Diet. But it is really an egg diet. Eggs for both breakfast and lunch some days, lean meats, salads(dry) and fruit. No dairy, very little carb, i.e. 2 slices of toast in a week. Obviously, no alcohol or treats of any kind. For me, it is difficult to give up my favourite, homemade granola, potato chips and peanuts and, of course, chocolate/biscuits/bread and all that goes on it plus a nightly 2x bourbons. We both started it Thursday, by Friday night I had bad diarrohea. On Saturday night, we reviewed the plan and DW was bored with all the eggs and no cooking challenge. I was feeling unwell and beginning to hate eggs and not looking forward to more filet steak(which I love). So, having googled the plan again and decided it was simply a very low carb diet, we decided to vary it slightly. From last Sunday, I(DW does not eat cereal or use milk so eats an egg instead) eat:
    Breakfast: granola, natural yogurt, fresh fruit incl. grapefruit and tea for breakfast(some milk in the granola and
    tea.)
    Mid morning piece of fruit.
    Lunch(I can go home for lunch), and egg or two, e.g.a spinach omelette, chicken sald etc, tea.
    Afternoon: a piece of fruit at work
    Dinner: lean meat/salmon plus lots of veg. Normally, I would profess to hate broccoli and cabbage but I lap them
    up as if they were candy. I confess to drinking a diet cola with dinner.

I weighed on Friday night(before the scoots attack) and was shocked to hit 336lb. I was expecting 310-320. I am 55, sedentary occupation and have not been exercising much over the past 2 years. I am in fair health for my age but am on BP meds and a small statin dose.

I have moved the belt in a notch this week so I regard that as progress. The scales sometimes refuse to weigh me so can't weigh regularly. I find I don't miss the treats or alcohol as much as I thought I would. I think much of it is habit; just get up an get chips/nuts or biscuits if the notion strikes. It is hard to eat the last meal of the day and realise it will be 12 hours or more before I eat again. But it is doable and I am sticking with it. Hoping to start walking for exercise in the evenings.

That's it. Hope to be a worthy member of this thread and am inspired by the great and inspirational progress here. IT

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1037 on: August 09, 2016, 07:30:02 AM »
Welcome Irishtache! It's good to get a wake-up call, isn't it?

I hear ya about getting bored when eating the same thing. One year I tried some soup diet and while I liked the soup, by Day 4 it got super gross. Plus, in previous attempts, I always yo-yo'ed back up again. This time around, I decided to go only with foods I find enjoyable and to take my weight loss slow and steady. I stabilized and adjusted my math (I counted calories and used MyFitnessPal to log) so that I lost 1 lb a week. It was really satisfying to see the numbers more or less line up with my expectations. I lost over 20 lbs. I'm 2 months into my maintenance break and its been going really well - giving me confidence that I can do this for a lifetime. Trying to get myself into the right mental state to lose the last 10 lbs.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1038 on: August 09, 2016, 08:01:07 AM »
Been about a month since I checked in.

Still maintaining but am preparing for crazy eating ahead. We're closing on a new house in the next month which means packing up everything we own and general craziness and easy food choices (which can be less healthy for me).

So fun to be reading all the successes of people who have been on this thread for a while - Go elaine amj! - and the new people too.

I suspect I'll be checking in more frequently in the coming weeks to keep myself in check.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1039 on: August 09, 2016, 09:29:50 AM »
Welcome Irishtache!  Your diet plan looks pretty good.  If there is one thing you could change - consider cutting out the granola.  It's so high in sugar and sugar can cause you to crave other things.  If you really want cereal, Cheerios is better as the sugar is very low. 

Update for me - somehow I gained a pound in the last couple days despite sticking to the diet - so that officially puts my plateau at 8 days :(

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #1040 on: August 09, 2016, 09:36:47 AM »
If there is one thing you could change - consider cutting out the granola.  It's so high in sugar and sugar can cause you to crave other things.  If you really want cereal, Cheerios is better as the sugar is very low. 

Thanks JoJo. To be clear, my wife makes the granola and uses some honey and coconut flakes to add sweetness. We don't think it's too sugary but I will quiz her tonight as another batch is due this week. Hope the plateau gives way to rolling hillside soon!

IT

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #1041 on: August 09, 2016, 10:49:56 AM »
I couldn't even say the last time I posted here, but I think I'm back on track. I'm on a boring+fruit diet.

Breakfast is oatmeal with banana, blueberries, cinnamon. Lunch is probably some stew over rice. Same for dinner (but a different stew.) Last week I fell off pretty bad because I found myself super hungry at bedtime to the point where it took me three hours to fall asleep. I then proceeded to buy some unhealthy convenience  foods, and then to eat all of those things at shocking rates.

Anyway, I decided that rice is my fallback. I have a good assortment of hot sauces to make it more interesting.

Also, I have tea and water and fruits for whenever I want them. I normally get tired of eating fruit before it becomes a problem for me.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1042 on: August 09, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »
@Starbright Glad maintenance is going so well! Hoping all good things for you during your upcoming move.On the good side, you'll be burning lots of calories just packing and unpacking!

@yuka So very good to see you check in :) Still so grateful to you for starting this thread.

syracusefan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1043 on: August 10, 2016, 11:58:50 AM »
Start of 2016: 240.1
Current weight: 209.5
Goal weight: 200

I'm a 6'2 male.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #1044 on: August 10, 2016, 12:26:58 PM »
Cool, syracusefan!!! :)

syracusefan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1045 on: August 10, 2016, 12:42:29 PM »
Cool, syracusefan!!! :)

Thanks! Next goal is to get my finances in line :) Hence why i joined this forum...

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #1046 on: August 11, 2016, 03:34:01 AM »
Start of 2016: 240.1
Current weight: 209.5
Goal weight: 200

I'm a 6'2 male.

Well done Syracuse. Would you share details of your regime?

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1047 on: August 11, 2016, 10:10:59 AM »
@syracusefan Congrats!!

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1048 on: August 13, 2016, 10:01:51 PM »
Finally broke the plateau and dropped 2 pounds in the last 2 days.  So, now I'm down 77 for the year.  I'm off on a business trip for the next 4 days that involves eating out, hotel breakfast buffets, and a couple happy hours so I hope they don't come back on.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1049 on: August 15, 2016, 09:17:26 AM »
After camping all weekend and eating nonstop, I clocked in this morning over FOUR pounds heavier than Friday. Not possible even though I did eat a lot of cheesies and ice cream so I know a lot of it is just water weight/bloating.

I did my best to stay active over the weekend although this time round it was a little more challenging. We camped with friends who are pretty sedentary. It sure gave a different vibe to everything. I fit in physical activity wherever I could - swam in the lake with the kids, went on a couple of hikes, slogged through deep sand when the water was too cold to swim (which warmed me enough that I braved a 15 min swim in the chilly lake). A couple of my friends joined me for my morning hike...which turned it into a morning stroll. Still, I was enjoying the beautiful morning outdoors and I was MOVING. I did head off on my own for a vigorous hike later after everyone went home though...being outdoors makes me itch to be active.

Trying to eat really lightly today (I packed an apple for breakfast and an avocado and orange for lunch) to make up for the weekend...AND because I have a work dinner tonight with sliders and pizza that i want to relax and enjoy.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!