Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2016  (Read 459549 times)

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
Re: Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #700 on: May 23, 2016, 08:46:01 PM »
@dogboyslim That's some awesome progress! Must have felt SO good to see that scale move!!

@Microspice Congrats on that swimsuit purchase. So glad it went better than u thought. We are sometimes so much more critical than the mirror.

@Frugal Lizard Social eating is the toughest battle of all.

As for me, I have been doing pretty good. This morning's weigh in was 134.8, only about a pound more than my low of 133.6, so I am clawing my way back on track.

Today was a long weekend for us Canadians - we spent a chunk of the day shopping. Scored Kobe steaks for $1/lb!!! We also hit the Chinese buffet. Didnt track what I ate but I feel I stayed within reason. Logged it at 1200 calories.

Made up for it with a close to 1.5 hr bike ride. Still recovering from Saturday's big ride so we took it slow for our 35km (20 mile) ride. I was thrilled that it felt like an easy ride.

Ate a chicken and veggie stirfry that clocked in at a lower cal than I had expected. Sweet. Love it when that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RuntoFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #701 on: May 23, 2016, 11:41:12 PM »
Hi all,

Welcome to the newbies. Glad to see progress on weigh ins and control of urges.

Same old here. Last week, I was weighing in and solidly posting the lowest weight in a while 3 days in a row. Then on Saturday we went on a day long boat trip that involved a lot of drinking and water activities. I felt proud for cutting myself off after 2 gin and tonics and sticking to mostly healthy food from the buffet. However, dinner was a slice of pizza and stepping on the scale I was 2 pounds heavier the next morning. I still felt in control but have been eating out more since then due to planned social events. So Sunday night had pizza again, Monday lunch was a buffet due to work travel and tonight's dinner will be bar food due to a monthly trivia night. I'll try to keep on making healthy choices but it definitely gets harder when you don't cook. Other than that, workouts are still going strong and I am noticing differences in how I look. My body fat percentage has also started going down on the scale, so can't complain.

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #702 on: May 24, 2016, 03:01:21 AM »
2 days without eating crap! Feels good.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #703 on: May 24, 2016, 03:11:37 AM »

As for me, I have been doing pretty good. This morning's weigh in was 134.8, only about a pound more than my low of 133.6, so I am clawing my way back on track.

Today was a long weekend for us Canadians - we spent a chunk of the day shopping. Scored Kobe steaks for $1/lb!!! We also hit the Chinese buffet. Didnt track what I ate but I feel I stayed within reason. Logged it at 1200 calories.

Pounds? I thought Canadians used metric? :)

I'm going to do weekly weigh ins. No point doing it more often.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 05:32:42 AM by alsoknownasDean »

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #704 on: May 24, 2016, 05:15:59 AM »
@Elaine AMJ: I love it when food comes in less than expected. Huzzah for home cooking!

@RuntoFIRE: I have such a hard time making good choices when we eat out. I'm getting better, but I think that restaurant menus are designed to be as enticing as possible (duh). That, and I have a hard time justifying the cost of a salad at a restaurant (or some other easy-to-make-at-home meal) and opt for something that I wouldn't make myself. *Sigh*

I was surprised at the scale this morning after not stepping on since last Friday, weigh-in day. I'm currently at the lowest I've marked so far on this journey. We'll see what weigh-in day on Friday has to say. Back to tracking today, even though I'm still sick. No excuses!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #705 on: May 24, 2016, 07:41:41 AM »
I feel like I have been up a pound and down a pound for weeks now. Which is only really true for about the last two weeks. It's frustrating and I know it's because of my eating. I haven't really been bad, but if I'm not completely rigid, I don't see any progress. I'm drinking lots of water and trying not to eat whenever I get hungry. Hunger is not a bad sign, regardless of discomfort!

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #706 on: May 24, 2016, 08:06:36 AM »
@alsoknownasDean We use metric over here - but not for stuff like body weight. We bow to the pressure from the Americans and use pounds for that :) Heck - I even think of temperature in BOTH Celcius and Fahrenheit. Only way to survive :) It's funny at the grocery store though. Meat is advertised at $xx/lb but when you read the packaging, they list the weight in kg and the price in kg. Makes it more complicated to price compare.

Last week I was speaking to a group of high school kids and they looked at some copywriting I did and asked why I used miles in some descriptive text. I explained that while the metric system is all things fabulous, "miles of roads" sounds way more poetic than "many more kilometres to go" LOL!

It would be rather nice though if America joined the rest of the world and used the metric system. My husband and kids are dual American and Canadian citizens and I tease them all the time about how Americanized they are.

@RuntoFIRE Restaurant food is the very, very, very hardest. Even with a plan I think is solid, it always throws me off when I eat restaurant food too often.

@rockstache I've been there for over a month now. Endlessly frustrating and I know its my own fault for overeating. What's helping me this week is returning primarily to cooking from scratch again. I'm back to my mostly veggie-based meals and it's all becoming much easier. I'm also cutting out all those extra snacks and nibbles. It's odd that it almost feels like a routine.

@geostache LOVE hearing the low numbers!!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #707 on: May 24, 2016, 08:59:08 AM »
Alsoknownasdean:
I use and think in metric for temperature, speed and distance, the price of gas and weight of meat.  I use imperial when I cook, weigh myself and track my kids height.  I buy a pound of butter (454 grams is on the package), a two by four (not a 38x79 mm) and a pound of meat will feed the crew.  Just recently milk started to be sold three liters to the bag. (I think that is another Canadian thing - milk in bags) Before milk came in three -one quart bags in another bag.  Forever they just changed the label on the package to convert the volume of milk to liters.  Then all of a sudden the bag would slide into the plastic jug really easily.  - looked on the label and there was just 3 liters but the price hadn't really changed.  hmmmm...

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #708 on: May 24, 2016, 02:20:40 PM »
@Fu Mainechu - I have really grown to appreciate counting calories. I mean, I don't like it - I'd rather just eat whatever I want with no consequences, but since that can't happen, calorie counting is the next best thing for me. I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want, as long as it fits in my budget. I only have to follow my own plan.

@rockstache - I have been trying to embrace hunger, too! It is difficult to deal with the discomfort, but overcoming it can be a lesson in badassity, for sure.

I finished Day 3 of C25K today! I almost talked myself out of it, but I had packed my bag and it was peeking out from under my desk, silently judging me, so I just sucked it up and got it over with. I'm still not convinced I'll ever be a runner, and I don't have any dreams of one day running a marathon, but I know that I can make it to the end of the program. Then I'll find something else to do - I just have to keep this momentum going! I think the Fitbit is helping somewhat - I do enjoy checking in on my status everyday and seeing what sort of calorie deficit I'm running.

I keep forgetting to weigh myself this week, but I will report with a weigh-in tomorrow morning. May is almost over! We can do it!

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #709 on: May 25, 2016, 10:00:50 AM »
So excited! I clocked in at 132.8 lbs today. My previous low was 133.6 lbs, which I hit a solid month ago. For the past month I have just been yo-yoing and eating too much. 5 days ago, I  straightened up my act and returned to my healthy low cal home cooking, eating primarily veggies again and cut back on all the extra snacks. And of course, logging calories (including weighing every ingredient in all my recipes). Decided not to overthink or overstress it and just do what I know works.

And guess what - IT WORKED!!!! So awesomely wonderful to FINALLY be back on a downward trend again.

I'm going on a work trip tomorrow which means 1.5 days of eating out, surrounded by very good food (exhibiting at a food & wine tasting event). My strategy will be to keep things reasonable, enjoy the delish food, and get in my workouts. Going to push myself to hit the hotel gym. It should help that I'll be standing for hours manning the booth.

@Microspice That's fantastic that you are working on the C25K. I'm not a runner either but have also pushed myself to incorporate short jogs occasionally. If you're just adjusting your eating, the hunger will be there, but for me, it typically only lasts a few days until my body adjusts. If it's a more permanent thing, I would suggest revisiting food plans and adjust what types of food you are eating. i'm not a veggie fan - in fact, have disliked veggies nearly all my life. I have been learning to enjoy certain types of veggies - and even look forward to eating them. Today's lunch is a roasted butternut squash & chickpea salad that's pretty yummy. Dinner is a mushroom quesadilla (this is a bit of an indulgence and I don't expect it to be as filling for the calorie counts).

As for counting calories - I agree....it sucks and I get sick of it sometimes. But it is the only thing that has worked for me.

One more week left to our May challenge!! I've been cycling at least 3 times a week so I'll call it a success on the activity front :)

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #710 on: May 25, 2016, 10:38:22 AM »
@Elaine - congrats! That is so exciting to see your number going down again.

@Fu Mainechu - I love your name so much

@frugallizard- I do read this thread every morning and it really helps me. I don't always comment but it just sets me  on a good path for the day.

I didn't post over the weekend because i was bummed about my weigh-in. I was around 149 on the gym scale. I have cut way back on my simple carb intake since march and I've been drinking my green smoothies several times a week and working out four days a week for the last month. I hate when it feels like effort isn't making a difference.

I did have a wonderful anniversary dinner  (champagne, muscles, beef wellington,split a chocolate mousse)  with my husband the night before I weighed in so I'll attribute it to that. It was a delicious meal and we only go out without the kids a few nights a year so it was worth it.

With the weather warming up I am super excited to bring out my favorite summer lunch foods: cheese and apples, italian style fruit salads, veggie based flat breads and simple salads. These things never fill me up in the winter but seem perfect for warm weather. I find it so much easier to eat healthier in the summer.

Hope everyone has a wonderful rest of the week!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #711 on: May 25, 2016, 11:42:35 AM »
was under 185 this morning when I checked in spontaneously. woo!

haven't seen that in a while :)

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #712 on: May 25, 2016, 01:14:28 PM »
I didn't post over the weekend because i was bummed about my weigh-in. I was around 149 on the gym scale. I have cut way back on my simple carb intake since march and I've been drinking my green smoothies several times a week and working out four days a week for the last month. I hate when it feels like effort isn't making a difference.

I did have a wonderful anniversary dinner  (champagne, muscles, beef wellington,split a chocolate mousse)  with my husband the night before I weighed in so I'll attribute it to that. It was a delicious meal and we only go out without the kids a few nights a year so it was worth it.

@Starbright I find that after eating out, I go up by 1-2 lbs the next morning. It's a lot of extra sodium and it does usually drop off in the next day or two. That's why I switched from Monday to a Friday weigh-in. I weigh daily and always saw a spike on Monday. Eventually, I decided it made me feel better to switch to a Friday weigh-in report here :)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #713 on: May 25, 2016, 05:39:09 PM »
Hey everyone! I hope you all had decently healthy weekends. I am proud to report that although I didn't do my second day of C25K on Friday as planned, I did get up and do it on Saturday. I have my third day today, and will go out after the kiddo is in bed. I have too many meetings at work today to squeeze it in here. But I'm glad that I haven't just given up on this front, like I normally do.

How do you like the C25K so far?  I've started & stopped it a few times.  I've never gotten through all 9 weeks, but in March I did a 5K (not my first) and jogged the whole way!  I was astounded; didn't know I had it in me.  I attribute that accomplishment in no small part to the app. 

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #714 on: May 26, 2016, 09:34:03 AM »
@oneday - I like C25K so far. I have started and stopped a few times before, too, but I'm hellbent on getting it done this time. I am soooooooo out of shape, so starting small and slow is a little easier on my ego and motivation. Congrats on jogging the whole 5K!

Finally weighed myself this morning, and am pretty bummed. Had a 2.5 pound gain. We indulged in some pretty sodium-laden food yesterday for the kiddo's 2nd birthday, so I am hopeful that is what's being reflected. I will tighten up my eating and see how things look this weekend.

On a good note, I met up with my girlfriends last night about our impending trip to Mexico, and they are totally on board to do C25K with me while we're there! They're great friends (obviously), so I know they'll keep me on track and support me on that front.

Weight Progress:
- 1/10: 133 pounds
- 2/22: 128 pounds
- 3/25: 123.6 pounds
- 4/28: 124.4 pounds
- 5/2: 125.0 pounds
- 5/12: 123.8 pounds
- 5/17: 123 pounds
- 5/26: 125.6 pounds

Goal Weight: 110 pounds

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #715 on: May 26, 2016, 11:47:25 AM »
@oneday - I like C25K so far. I have started and stopped a few times before, too, but I'm hellbent on getting it done this time.

Haha, I was too, until I somehow ran that 5K without stopping, which is the goal anyway.

Congrats on jogging the whole 5K!

Thanks!

On a good note, I met up with my girlfriends last night about our impending trip to Mexico, and they are totally on board to do C25K with me while we're there! They're great friends (obviously), so I know they'll keep me on track and support me on that front.

Wow, great support.  Kudos for developing such good friends.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #716 on: May 26, 2016, 02:35:52 PM »
Today is weigh in day for me.
4/15 - 138
4/22 - 137.5
4/29 - 137
5/5 - 136
5/12 – 135
5/19 – 135
5/26 - 134
Goal : 120 lbs.

Write down everything I eat in my food journal: doing poorly
NO eating at the counter or out of the container or from the buffet:  mostly
Sit down with food served on dishes in the dining room - no tv on:  mostly
Serve food in the kitchen buffet style: yes
No cleaning off the kids plates: yes
No juice: slipped up here with the heat wave
No pop:  slipping up here with the heat wave and being out and about
Only really good food:  almost – those potato chips taste good but they aren’t really good for me food
2/3 of meal to be veg or fruit:  not doing so well at this
No snacking at the computer:  yes and no snacking in front of the tv

Hanging in there – but am encouraged by how I look in the mirror and how my clothes feel.  Wish it was coming off faster – but hey it took me 12 years to put it on.
I need to develop an exercise program – but am in the midst of too much other stuff.  I am gardening a lot and doing reno jobs so I am not sitting on my butt in my free time.
I will get there.  First though kitchen needs to go back together. Hubby is smashing out the tile floor and the house smells like dust.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #717 on: May 27, 2016, 06:17:17 AM »
@Frugal Lizard The main thing is that the pounds are going!! Looks like u are developing some good habits - and it takes time to form them.

As for me, yesterday was a disaster of ridiculous amount of food. *sigh* I am on a work trip and attended a food and wine tasting event last night. Pigged out badly. Someone actually made a cinnamon bun grilled cheese and duck "burger". Also dropped $20 on 3 bars of chocolate- the chocolatier actually buys roasted coffee beans, grinds them, and makes his chocolate. The worst part? I ate nearly an entire bar when I finally made it back to my hotel room at 11:30pm. Ugh.

Today, I have to navigate hotel breakfast and a stop on the highway during the 4 hr drive home. I am committing to eating a reasonable breakfast (sticking to the healthy options) and just getting fruit on the trip home. I should be home by 2pm and can eat lunch then (although it will kill me a bit not to eat lunch on the company's dime). I'll report back on how I do.

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #718 on: May 27, 2016, 06:56:49 AM »
4/2: 236
4/11: 233 (interpolated) (-3,-3)
4/18: 230 (-3,-6)
4/25: 227.5 (-2.5,-8.5)
5/2: 224.5 (-3, -11.5)
5/6: 221 (-3.5, -15)
5/9: 221 (0,-15)
5/16: 221 (0,-15)
5/20: 221 (0,-15)
5/23: 218.5 (-2.5,-17.5)
5/27: 215 (-3.5, -21)

Several long runs this week and a few more hours on the bike trainer and some boot camp classes.  I'm tired, but the discipline with the diet seems to be paying off.  35 lbs to go.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #719 on: May 27, 2016, 07:08:02 AM »
Weigh-in day here. It appears I forgot to post my weight results from last week. Anywho, I'm down 0.2 lb this week, but up 0.6 from two weeks ago:

4/08/2016: 155.2
4/15/2016: 156.8
4/22/2016: 156.2
4/29/2016: 156.6
5/06/2016: 158.6 (+1.6)
5/13/2016: 155.8
5/20/2016: 156.6 (+0.8)
5/27/2016: 156.4

26.4 lbs lost
Goal: 140 lbs

Given last week's awful, awful depression, I'll take it. It appears I'm in maintenance mood. I take it as a good thing: I'm demonstrating that at least for now, I'm keeping my weight under control. Probably for the first time in my life! I have two work trips in June, interspersed with my husband's two work trips. We're basically going to see each other for about 10 days the entire month. That will make things interesting for my food planning. On the other hand, our CSA disbursement starts next week! Hooray for lots and lots of fresh veggies! My garden was ransacked by a rabbit or other small mammal, so I'm looking forward to the challenge of using up all of our yummy produce.

I want to say thank you to all of you for the kind words of support. It's been really great to read about all of your successes and trials, and encouraging to see everyone keep going despite setbacks! <3

Adge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #720 on: May 27, 2016, 09:31:20 AM »
Weigh in day here as well. Last week was the first time my weight dropped into "normal BMI range" in probably 8 years, so obviously I went and fell off the wagon in a big way this week to make up for it :/ But I realized that the only things in my house I had any interest in bingeing were the only processed carbs I keep around (cereal and graham crackers), so now that I ate ALL OF THEM this week I've resolved not to buy them for a while and see if keeping them out of the house helps. In a way I guess it's a good thing, because I've been working slowly on cutting processed foods out of my diet and those were really the last holdouts.

starting weight as of mid-March: 175
5/6: 156.8
5/13: 155.8
5/20: 153.6
5/27: 154.6
goal weight: 145

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #721 on: May 27, 2016, 12:14:03 PM »
... so now that I ate ALL OF THEM this week ...

LOL! I call this a snaccident.  I had trouble last week with this problem, but it was at work, and there were donuts.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #722 on: May 27, 2016, 01:23:05 PM »
I love the term snaccident.  I am using it or rather trying to avoid it.

Adge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #723 on: May 27, 2016, 02:22:02 PM »
@dogboyslim & Frugal Lizard- I love the term snaccident as well (but I don't love having them lol!)

@Fu Mainechu- oh, I love me some carbs! Since starting to lose weight I've realized that all the sugary processed snack food was actually causing some mild stomach problems, and last weeks' *snaccident* seemed to corroborate that idea. The good news is, with that stuff out of the picture my normal routine of 3 carb-inclusive meals a day still works well for me :D

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #724 on: May 27, 2016, 03:17:44 PM »
But I realized that the only things in my house I had any interest in bingeing were the only processed carbs I keep around
I find that if I don't feel well, especially a stomach ache or upset stomach, I crave the carbiest of carbs.  It's the only thing that doesn't hurt.

Same here, Fu Mainechu. Sweets and bland white starches settle my stomach when nothing else will. DGL helps a little, but it's a poor substitute.

This has definitely been a "two steps backward" week for me, but the good news is that I may be turning a corner, health-wise, which would make next week much easier. Fingers crossed.

In the meantime, go, team, go! :)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #725 on: May 27, 2016, 03:26:10 PM »
Since the first of the year I have lost 40lbs +/- . Basically buy just being more conscientiousness of what I eat and being a lot more active. I spend at least 90mins to 2 hours at the gym in the mornings five days a week, give myself a cheat day and want to lose 10 for sure more but will try for 20.  I have found the key for me is to not get scale happy, do what I think is right and weigh in once a month. My clothes tell me the truth and i don't panic if up a few pounds or party like its 1999 if i lose a few lbs. Anyhow I didn't obviously read through the whole thread but though I would share. The biggest reason I started this weight loss was I was seemingly having a heart attack everyday which was being caused by heart burn. Doctor put me on a prescription and after a week I said enough is enough I hate pills. So within a week of going to the gym I didn't need the pills after nearly 7 months of really struggling with indigestion/heart burn. The biggest thing is being Fire'd i did not put a time line or stresser on the weight loss so I lose it slow and just change everything the way I was doing it. I have lost weigh in the past only to put it back on and this time i don't care how long it takes to come off as long as I keep it off.  That psychology really makes a difference. On average I put on also over 15k steps a day and never less than ten.

Good Luck to everyone! I have had many set backs usually because of issues like I cant do things because of injury or pain (alot of bad joints etc) but the difference has been instead of avoiding it I truly find ways to work around it. There is always away to burn calories.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #726 on: May 27, 2016, 09:18:04 PM »
@soccerluvof4 Loved your success story. U are doing amazing!!!!

As for me - very proud to share that I made it through today sticking to my plans! I had scrambled eggs with salsa and some fruit for breakfast. We stopped in Tim's and I declined when my boss asked me if I wanted anything. I ATE LUNCH AT HOME and said NO to free food!!!!!

I am mostly ignoring yesterdays's binge so i don't beat myself up in frustration. Tomorrow 's 60k bike ride should take care of it.

RuntoFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #727 on: May 28, 2016, 07:47:54 AM »
Hello everyone,

Good to be back after a week of crazy  travel and heading in for more travel next week.

Adge- congrats on making it into the normal BMI range, even if bingeing a bit. Must feel good.

soccerluvof4- easy and slow does it, but 40 pounds since the beginning of the year is not slow to me! Congrats on thinking long term.

elaine amj- oh man, if I had a dollar for every time I ate almost or all of a delicious dark chocolate bar, I'd be FIRE'd by now. Solution for me is not to buy them, unfortunately.

This week has been tough for me, but I am giving myself slack and keeping my sights forward. I traveled and ate out most days this week and it was tough to eat the same reasonable portions I do at home. I am jumping on a plane again tomorrow, coming back Tuesday, and flying again on Thursday, so I just need to keep strong and tell myself that it's ok to leave food on my plate, as bad as I  feel about it. Today I had the day to myself and ate super reasonably when I was hungry. I did just have a late night snack, which is unusual for me, only because I gave in to temptation and bought white bread today, and did not buy peanut butter, which is how I usually quell the temptation to eat in the evening (one teaspoon of the stuff goes a long way).

In other great news, I am this close to paying off my student loans and being debt free for the first time in 10 years! One payment is processing and I am waiting for the square cash app to accept some money I transferred to myself so that I have enough for the final final payment. Feels good but I  keep checking the app literally every 5 minutes to see if the money is there yet. Patience....patience.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #728 on: May 28, 2016, 08:32:23 AM »
I'm so encouraged by all of you. I mostly lurk and check in here and there but I really love reading all the ups and downs (that's positive stories and down trends in weight ha!).

I'm currently on the brink of crossing the 20lbs lost mark...so so so close I can taste it..NO! I will not taste it! That's what got me in this trouble in the first place. The long weekend will be hard but I'm really hoping when I check in to weigh in on Tuesday that I will have gotten over the hump. Good luck to you all and great job so far!! Keep it up.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #729 on: May 28, 2016, 10:04:28 AM »
Weigh-in day:

3/12: 162.6
3/19: 161.8
3/26: 159.6
4/2: 160.2
4/9: 158.4
4/16: 158.4
4/23: 158.4
4/30: 157.6
5/7: 157.4
5/14: 158.4
5/21: 157.2
5/28: 159.4

The sins of the last couple of weeks have caught up with me. But that's okay. I'm finally feeling better enough to exercise, and I've found a supplement that seems to help with one of my health issues, so I have high hopes for the next few weeks. :)

I keep reminding myself that I have chosen every calorie that I've stuffed into my mouth, and I refuse to regret those choices, because there's nothing I can do about them now. You fight the battle that's in front of you, one day at a time; it's just harder at some times than at others.

... but I have to admit that I hope that the battle gets easier. Man, it's been rough lately. I do see signs for hope, though.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #730 on: May 28, 2016, 11:36:49 AM »
...so so so close I can taste it..NO! I will not taste it! That's what got me in this trouble in the first place.

rockstache, that made me lol!

RuntoFIRE - Context seems to make a world of difference.  If I'm at a restaurant, I also go overboard on portion sizes.  I've made progress in this area, but it's serously hard.  Way to go paying off those loans, that is a massive achievement!

RedmondStash - It makes me happy to see that you are at peace in your journey, even thought you are not at the end yet.

Well, with Sister in town, but "homeless", she has been eating out a lot and I have gone along with her in order to spend time.  It's been hard to keep the stress eating in check this last week and I think in the last 4 days I have done rather poorly in particular.  However, I was proud of myself yesterday for making dinner at home, even if it was reheating restaurant leftovers.  And I'm still tracking (except that one lunch last week) and weighing every day (I missed 2 days this week).

The long weekend* will be a little tricky with good food, alcohol & a relaxed atmosphere.  I will strive to eat the fruit or veg option whenever available, and to scale back portions in the first pass.  I can always get seconds; there will be more than enough food.

Soda count slipped up to 4 :(

*Monday is a national holiday in the US.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #731 on: May 28, 2016, 11:58:30 AM »
We're traveling this weekend for a wedding and holiday too and I'm hopeful that I can be disciplined to not overeat!

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #732 on: May 29, 2016, 05:58:48 AM »
@alsoknownasDean We use metric over here - but not for stuff like body weight. We bow to the pressure from the Americans and use pounds for that :) Heck - I even think of temperature in BOTH Celcius and Fahrenheit. Only way to survive :) It's funny at the grocery store though. Meat is advertised at $xx/lb but when you read the packaging, they list the weight in kg and the price in kg. Makes it more complicated to price compare.

Last week I was speaking to a group of high school kids and they looked at some copywriting I did and asked why I used miles in some descriptive text. I explained that while the metric system is all things fabulous, "miles of roads" sounds way more poetic than "many more kilometres to go" LOL!

It would be rather nice though if America joined the rest of the world and used the metric system. My husband and kids are dual American and Canadian citizens and I tease them all the time about how Americanized they are.

Ah, fair enough. Sounds confusing having both measurements in use when buying stuff. I remember buying a bottle of water when I was in the US last year and some were metric measurements (I saw 1L bottles) and others in imperial.

Alsoknownasdean:
I use and think in metric for temperature, speed and distance, the price of gas and weight of meat.  I use imperial when I cook, weigh myself and track my kids height.  I buy a pound of butter (454 grams is on the package), a two by four (not a 38x79 mm) and a pound of meat will feed the crew.  Just recently milk started to be sold three liters to the bag. (I think that is another Canadian thing - milk in bags) Before milk came in three -one quart bags in another bag.  Forever they just changed the label on the package to convert the volume of milk to liters.  Then all of a sudden the bag would slide into the plastic jug really easily.  - looked on the label and there was just 3 liters but the price hadn't really changed.  hmmmm...

Ah, here I'll buy 2L bottles of milk and 250g of butter, and meat/fruit/vegetables are always sold by the kilogram (except if the price is each of course). 99c per kilo for bananas the other day :)

There's a couple of cases in which imperial measurements are in common (but not officlal) use here. For some reason, people usually quote the weight of a newborn baby in pounds and ounces, but soon as they're no longer a newborn it'll be in kilograms.

Original weight: 116.3kg
Last week's weight: 115.7kg
Current weight: 114.9kg
Goal weight: 90kg

Hooray, progress! Still kinda weird as I had a big dinner and lunch today.

Initial milestone is to get below 110kg. Ideally I can reach that by the end of June-early July :)

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #733 on: May 30, 2016, 07:36:59 AM »
I'm in. I was hoping someone would start this thread too... Glad to see so many also interested!

Current: 5'4" female, 172 pounds. Would love to get down to 130 but would be happy with 150 or less. I tend towards more muscle mass, especially when working out so 120 is pretty underweight for me (body fat gets too low)

I would love to switch to paleo but we have a cash flow problem and the inexpensive paleo sites I've found are for well over my budget. Is anyone has a link to a blog/thread etc on eating paleo for around $2.50 per day per person, it would be much appreciated. Trying to increase budget so this is no longer a problem.

I'm back, down only 3 pounds but I have paid zero attention to diet or fitness while dealing with a bunch of other stuff. I did get my food budget increased so I'm trying to figure out if I can go paleo and add the rest of the family when we can increase the budget again. (I now have $5 per person per day). Part of my reason for doing this is I'd like to save money by either eating less overall but better quality (health savings basically although I wouldn't mind having actual money savings as well). Otherwise, I miss exercise and my smaller pants!

I'm finishing up working soon so I'd like to drop coffee. I have a love-hate relationship with coffee but can't stand it without sugar.

And I scheduled myself to start a C25K today.

I'm working on eating reasonable portions with no seconds and am hungry in the evenings. Anyone have a general idea how long it takes for your body to adjust to less food consumption?

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #734 on: May 30, 2016, 08:34:39 AM »
Was nervous coming home from vacation yesterday to step on the scale and see how bad I did. But a 0.4 pound gain over 2 weeks I can handle!!

Monday check in:

Jan 4 Starting weight: 160
Jan 11 weight: 156
Jan 18 weight: 155.2
Jan 25 weight: 156.8
Feb 1 weight: 155.2
Feb 8 weight: 153.2
Feb 15 weight: 151.6
Feb 22 weight 152.6
Feb 29 weight 152.2
Mar 7 weight 149.4
Mar 14 weight 149.4
Mar 21 weight 149.6
Mar 28 weight 149.2
Apr 4 weight 151.2
Apr 11 weight 151.4
Apr 18 weight 152.0
Apr 25 weight 152.2
May 2 weight 150.4
May 9 weight 148.8
May 16 weight 149.2
May 23 weight 149.4 (extrapolated)
May 30 weight 149.6
Goal weight: 130

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #735 on: May 30, 2016, 08:45:23 AM »
@mongoose For me the adjustment to less food seems to take about 2 weeks. I would imagine this varies based on body type but I'm a 5'2" female so not too far from your size at least.

@cookie78 Nice job! Vacations are so tough. It looks like you found a good balance for yourself.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #736 on: May 30, 2016, 09:03:56 AM »

I'm working on eating reasonable portions with no seconds and am hungry in the evenings. Anyone have a general idea how long it takes for your body to adjust to less food consumption?

Like @rockstache It takes about 1-2 weeks for me (I had to go through it again recently after a lengthy binge). During the time, I used hacks like tiny mints, liters of hot herbal teas, and was very careful about food choices (focused on filling, low cal meals). I'd do stuff like egg drop soup (fat free broth + 1-2 eggs + liquid aminos for flavour), zucchini noodles stirfry, etc.

I've been doing pretty well but still haven't conquered the need to keep eating at the end of meals. I am much better at lunchtime but not always as good at dinnertime.

@cookie78 That an awesome accomplishment after a vacation!! Good for you!

As for me, I've been doing much better at coping when I have an occasional day where I eat way too much. Normally that sends me into a downward spiral. I'm getting better at saying "OK - that was a bad day. Tomorrow, we'll just start completely fresh". I just go back to the plan that I know works and eat normally again. Usually I try to balance out my calories over the course of a week. But this doesn't work after a bad binge as it is usually just too many extra calories to make up for.

The awesome part is what my brain defaulted to when I thought about "normal eating"! It's all my new, veggie-heavy, lower calories, cooked from scratch, low in sugar and sodium meals! I have never liked cooking OR veggies so this is huge :)

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #737 on: May 30, 2016, 09:13:45 AM »
Up a little this weekend after eating pretty poorly at my parents for a wedding.

Ugh. Hopefully just because everything was salty?

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #738 on: May 30, 2016, 10:03:56 AM »
I had a hard weekend.  I worked hard on gardening projects to the point of exhaustion but then ate and ate and ate. BUT I put on a new bathing suit and it is ok.  I put on some old shorts that I couldn't even wear last summer and they were almost comfortable.  I am hoping that this slow steady thing is going to keep working for me.  I would like to get to the point where I can do the work that I plan to do without nearly killing myself and then once all the improvement projects are wrapping up I can get into more of a fitness regime so that I have room to eat without storing.

I am working out of town at least two days a week now.  That actually means that I get more exercise because I have to walk to public transit.  I brought a lunch last week and ended up eating better than I can at my home office.  It will be hard to do this all the time because the group I work with does not have a brown-bag culture.

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #739 on: May 31, 2016, 10:48:58 AM »
Post weekend weigh-in:

4/2: 236
4/11: 233 (interpolated) (-3,-3)
4/18: 230 (-3,-6)
4/25: 227.5 (-2.5,-8.5)
5/2: 224.5 (-3, -11.5)
5/6: 221 (-3.5, -15)
5/9: 221 (0,-15)
5/16: 221 (0,-15)
5/20: 221 (0,-15)
5/23: 218.5 (-2.5,-17.5)
5/27: 215 (-3.5, -21)
5/31: 213 (-2, -23)

A few carb heavy meals, but mostly within the desired calorie brackets.  Lots of time on the bike this weekend and a 6 mile run.  Half marathon next weekend and the weekend run was cut back significantly.  I called the 6 mile run a "short" run and my daughter asked...In what way is a 6 mile run SHORT!!?

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #740 on: May 31, 2016, 12:46:22 PM »
Weird weekend and weigh in. We took the kids to see my folks this weekend so weighed in on my mom's scale. Was 145 but I know it was simply the matter of a different scale- I know I didn't lose 4 pounds last week.

My mother is my best friend but she has food and body issues with herself and me and this weekend brought up all sort of old bad eating (or non-eating) habits for me.

Every five years or so my mom loses 60-70 pounds and when she is at the bottom of the Yo Yo she generally weighs the same or less than me and it creates all sorts of weird control issues. She spent the whole weekend commenting (not critiquing) on my food choices and after the kids went to bed encouraging me to "Get outside and burn some calories" - we spent 3 days outside running around with the kids which honestly was plenty of activity. We took the kids to the zoo and she volunteered to pack lunch - she packed a single banana for the two of us to split. She made breakfast for the whole family and while she dished up scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, pastries etc for everyone else she put a small cup of fruit salad and a half a piece of turkey bacon in front of me (After the banana lunch I should have just insisted I make breakfast). I kept my mouth shut the whole weekend because it is easier on a short trip to just deal with it, but it is churning up old food attitudes in me and I'm having a hard time eating today.

I never had an eating disorder when I was a teenager but I definitely developed weird food and exercise stuff in my late teens and early 20s. I messed up my hips and knees from too much running but even this weekend my mom was saying "oh, a little jog won't hurt you." Ugh- whatever , my mom is actually the best mom but this one thing about her drives me crazy. Now that I'm an adult I know these are her issues and they don't need to be mine.

I need to make myself go eat a nice, decently sized, healthy lunch and not worry about the unattainable 130 pounds that I have never been able to achieve in my adult life.

otherwise:
@geostache - you are in my thoughts whenever I check this thread. Depression is a b*tch and I hope you continue to heal from that awful week. Please keep self-care a priority in the coming weeks and be gentle with yourself.

Good to see all the regulars (and new folks) having successes.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #741 on: May 31, 2016, 01:08:25 PM »
Well, the weekend did a number on my weight. I'm hoping that it was a result of the salty food that I consumed, and not from the sheer quantity of it. @Chippewa and @StarBright: thanks for the words of encouragement. I bounced back mentally fairly quickly, I think. I'm actually on meds for anxiety, so the depression (which coincided with my period, sorry if it's TMI) really took me by surprise.

The good with the bad is that the anxiety is mostly under control, but with a calmer brain, I just can't seem to find my motivation to continue this journey. I'm just going to have to accept that everything is balancing out, and remind myself that this is a long-term thing. This weekend starts the beginning of travel-weeks-from-hell in my household. At least we have our first CSA disbursement tomorrow! Hooray to tons of veggies!

I'm glad to see everyone's progress!

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #742 on: May 31, 2016, 03:25:29 PM »
Weird weekend and weigh in. We took the kids to see my folks this weekend so weighed in on my mom's scale. Was 145 but I know it was simply the matter of a different scale- I know I didn't lose 4 pounds last week.

My mother is my best friend but she has food and body issues with herself and me and this weekend brought up all sort of old bad eating (or non-eating) habits for me.

Every five years or so my mom loses 60-70 pounds and when she is at the bottom of the Yo Yo she generally weighs the same or less than me and it creates all sorts of weird control issues. She spent the whole weekend commenting (not critiquing) on my food choices and after the kids went to bed encouraging me to "Get outside and burn some calories" - we spent 3 days outside running around with the kids which honestly was plenty of activity. We took the kids to the zoo and she volunteered to pack lunch - she packed a single banana for the two of us to split. She made breakfast for the whole family and while she dished up scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, pastries etc for everyone else she put a small cup of fruit salad and a half a piece of turkey bacon in front of me (After the banana lunch I should have just insisted I make breakfast). I kept my mouth shut the whole weekend because it is easier on a short trip to just deal with it, but it is churning up old food attitudes in me and I'm having a hard time eating today.

I never had an eating disorder when I was a teenager but I definitely developed weird food and exercise stuff in my late teens and early 20s. I messed up my hips and knees from too much running but even this weekend my mom was saying "oh, a little jog won't hurt you." Ugh- whatever , my mom is actually the best mom but this one thing about her drives me crazy. Now that I'm an adult I know these are her issues and they don't need to be mine.

I need to make myself go eat a nice, decently sized, healthy lunch and not worry about the unattainable 130 pounds that I have never been able to achieve in my adult life.

otherwise:
@geostache - you are in my thoughts whenever I check this thread. Depression is a b*tch and I hope you continue to heal from that awful week. Please keep self-care a priority in the coming weeks and be gentle with yourself.

Good to see all the regulars (and new folks) having successes.

I'm so sorry you experienced this! I have so many similar stories. :/

RonMcCord

• Stubble
« Reply #743 on: May 31, 2016, 08:37:39 PM »
Jan 4:175lbs.
Jan 28:169lbs.
Feb 27:162lbs.
Apr 1: 157lbs.
Apr 30: 151lbs.
May 31: 148lbs.

I'm so close to 145.  I had it down to 147 this week, but a pretty bad weekend set me back up to 148.  I know it's been touched on here, but kind of concerned about the whole maintaining weight and running into my body's set point.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #744 on: May 31, 2016, 08:53:43 PM »
@StarBright My DH has never had issues maintaining weight but has definitely pulled stunts like your mother did to "help me". I didn't ever manage to lose until he finally quit "helping"!

@RedmondStache and @RonMcCord Some thoughts of just staying where I am now have occurred to me. This is the weight I sort of maintained for years until I piled on an extra 20 lbs in a few years.

I am definitely struggling to get the scale moving downward consistently again. I thought I got my head on straight in the last few days....then I got emotional today. DH has been cranky and took it out on me starting from this morning. As an emotional eater, I was starving when I sat down to breakfast so I served myself a larger portion. Could barely wait until lunchtime when I chowed down. Fought with myself not to eat more/go out to eat/get dessert. Shortly afterwards I was wrestling with a stupid work problem and just couldn't figure it out. I raided my desk for chocolate and the last of my cheesies. UGH!! I did manage to resist going out for ice cream.

Then I came home, cooked a low cal noodle soup in a lot of broth. I was still emotional and I think DH said something that set me off. I scooped up a serving of the sausage penne I made for the kids. I don't even want to think how many calories were in there!!

I'm hoping I can get a grip by tomorrow. I did talk with DH about his crankiness and how it was affecting me and could see him make a conscious effort to control himself.

I quit logging today when things got bad - but I am going to backtrack and log it all. Annoyed because I am finally starting to feel thinner and then just keep sabotaging myself. Grrr.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #745 on: May 31, 2016, 09:45:14 PM »
Mongoose, welcome back...good job keeping the weight off & even dropping a bit while you were dealing with that other stuff.

Cookie78, Chippewa & RonMcCord: way to go! 

dogboyslim: lol, I think I would ask the same question as your daughter.

ender, Frugal Lizard, Geostache & elaine amj: I am with you right now, dealing with challenges.  We will pull through!

StarBright: hugs.

Well the long weekend wasn't too bad, but not great either.  There was an incident involving my sister, the kind of stress only a loved one can cause, and a chocolate bar.  Fortunately, I've maintained at this weight for about 2 weeks; it could easily be higher.  Things will probably settle down the week after next when she goes back home.  I love having here here, so am happy to wait for her departure before concentrating on losing weight again.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #746 on: June 01, 2016, 04:53:03 AM »
This week is frustrating since I cannot bike to work due to obligations 3/4 days :( I will on Friday though!

At least I can still walk and my wife and I have been helping some friends we know garden (since we have no house, though that's going to change soon!) and I'm pretty sure I lost a pound of water weight last night doing that.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #747 on: June 01, 2016, 07:58:24 AM »
Full disclosure, y'all. I stepped on the scale today and I'm up five pounds, FIVE POUNDS from Friday. That is ridiculous. I have not tracked consistently over the past two weeks, and it is showing. I've been up and down 3 pounds for the past month, but FIVE POUNDS? No. That stops now. Today is June 1st, and I am committed to getting myself back under control. Our CSA distribution starts today, so that means lots of yummy vegetables. Back to my clean eating habits and a healthier me!

Here is what is on the menu for the next week:
Kale Tabbouleh with Cucumber, Mint and Garlic Scapes
Chinese style steamed halibut with sauteed tatsoi
Grilled steak salad
Soba noodle salad with Mizuna

Edited to show our CSA share!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 01:43:09 PM by Geostache »

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #748 on: June 01, 2016, 09:53:01 AM »
@StarBright My DH has never had issues maintaining weight but has definitely pulled stunts like your mother did to "help me". I didn't ever manage to lose until he finally quit "helping"!

@RedmondStache and @RonMcCord Some thoughts of just staying where I am now have occurred to me. This is the weight I sort of maintained for years until I piled on an extra 20 lbs in a few years.

I am definitely struggling to get the scale moving downward consistently again. I thought I got my head on straight in the last few days....then I got emotional today. DH has been cranky and took it out on me starting from this morning. As an emotional eater, I was starving when I sat down to breakfast so I served myself a larger portion. Could barely wait until lunchtime when I chowed down. Fought with myself not to eat more/go out to eat/get dessert. Shortly afterwards I was wrestling with a stupid work problem and just couldn't figure it out. I raided my desk for chocolate and the last of my cheesies. UGH!! I did manage to resist going out for ice cream.

Then I came home, cooked a low cal noodle soup in a lot of broth. I was still emotional and I think DH said something that set me off. I scooped up a serving of the sausage penne I made for the kids. I don't even want to think how many calories were in there!!

I'm hoping I can get a grip by tomorrow. I did talk with DH about his crankiness and how it was affecting me and could see him make a conscious effort to control himself.

I quit logging today when things got bad - but I am going to backtrack and log it all. Annoyed because I am finally starting to feel thinner and then just keep sabotaging myself. Grrr.

@elaine amj -- It's rough dealing with the intersection of emotions and food. On some days, I find the cravings overpowering, and that can be either because good things or bad things are happening. Go figure. But yeah, I get it about being set off and feeling like you're sabotaging yourself. FWIW, I don't think you're sabotaging yourself; I think it takes tremendous energy to focus on losing weight, and when other emotional things take up that energy, sometimes you just don't have enough left for the battle. You know what you want to accomplish, but there are days when that hill is just to steep to climb. Luckily, there are also days when it isn't. My best advice is to be gentle and forgiving with yourself, because self-castigation also costs emotional energy that you then can't spend on weight loss. Pretty Zen, huh? :)

And I think deciding to declare victory where you are is a fine thing.

I've been bouncing all over lately, having really strong cravings. I've been trying new naturopathic supplements, which may be interacting weirdly with my appetite. So at this point, I'm celebrating my break-even days and trying to just move past my high-intake days. I know this isn't about losing weight short-term but finding a good dietary balance long-term.

But, yeah, it's been hard lately. Crazy cravings and incessant hunger do push me to reach for food when I really wish they wouldn't. :\

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #749 on: June 01, 2016, 10:23:28 AM »
I've decided to start doing weekly weigh-ins with you guys.  I'm not much of a social person in real life or on the internet, but I've been following along in the thread for months now.  I love seeing the support.  And it helps to hear from people going through the same kind of crap I am. 

I'm the kind of person who needs to be held accountable if I'm going to change something.  I was chronically late for work until I made a deal with a friend that if either of us was late, we owed the other person a beverage.  And when we decided to give up caffeine cold turkey, the person who slipped up the most over the course of the month owed the other dinner.  If I want to make damned sure I'm going to go running when I say I am, I need to tell someone else.  Now it's expected of me, and I have to do it.

So.  I'm going to update my weight every Monday.  Along with laying out my exercise plan for the week.  And we'll see how it goes!

5/30/16 - 175.6

I ran a 10k on Memorial Day.  I gave myself a couple of days off for no good reason.  I plan on running on Thursday (7 miles), hiking Friday, Running Saturday (4 miles), and Running Sunday (9 miles).  I'm training for a half marathon in 5 weeks, and have been slacking.  No more!