Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2016  (Read 459587 times)

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #650 on: May 13, 2016, 08:31:26 AM »
@Frugal Lizard - Thanks! That's what I'm trying to do, without beating myself up. I am really, really good at berating myself. :-)
@elaine amj - You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO close to your goal! And everything I've read about weight loss concurs: the closer you get to your goal, the more difficult and slow weight loss becomes. I think you've got the right idea about your exercise calories. You have got this!

Now you all have me wanting to read Foodist. But I really, really, REALLY like some of my junk food. And beer. And wine. And the occasional cocktail. We eat a lot better in our house these days than we used to, and if you opened my fridge or pantry, you would think we were skinny, healthy, fit omnivores - we rarely have junk food in the house. However, we go out to eat or we go to friends' houses or we get goodies at work, and it shows. :-(

Yesterday was not as great as it could have been. Kind of lost my mind at dinner. But, I went for a walk yesterday afternoon. I went to bed last night with the intention of waking up and exercising, but you all know I didn't do that! I did, however, get out of bed at the appointed time (5:45) and stayed out of bed. The reason I didn't work out is because I am still hacking up a lung from the cold I have been trying to kick, and I was fairly certain it would not go well. I have plans to shoot for the same thing tomorrow, but add in a workout. :-)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #651 on: May 13, 2016, 08:42:55 AM »
Elaine:  After reading Foodist, I am thinking that a half pound per week will be easier to keep off permanently. And remember muscle is heavier than fat.  You are also getting really close to your goal so don`t worry too much.  You are really busy and have a lot of stress at the moment.  Enjoy your activities and time spent with you family and friends.

RuntoFire - you are making progress.  I will have to check out the podcasts and youtube channel.

Starbright - I read Omnivores Dilemma and really enjoyed it.  Being celiac means I avoid most process food but having my family get into cooking from scratch really helped me being able to eat with them again.

Microspice - healing is easier when you are not stressed - deep breath in and deep breath out and repeat.

We had indian takeaway last night.  I was so tired from a big day and have been cooking in suboptimal kitchen and just couldn`t face the kitchen.  Except that I made a kale plant into a delicious veg dish and a monster salad with my homegrown greens and cherry balsamic vinaigrette.  So had very little butter chicken and rice and a huge serving of vegetables.  I am trying to add more pulses into the mix - so I ordered a spicy dal.  I don`t know enough about indian cuisine to make my own.  I didn`t order pakoras or papadoms so way less fat than our usual order.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #652 on: May 13, 2016, 08:45:34 AM »
Friday weigh in day here. I'm down 2.4 pounds! I'm not quite where I was 5 weeks ago, but a strong loss is getting me in the right direction again, instead of bouncing back and forth.

4/08/2016: 155.2
4/15/2016: 156.8
4/22/2016: 156.2
4/29/2016: 156.6
5/06/2016: 158.6 (+1.6)
5/13/2016: 155.8

27 lbs lost
Goal: 140 lbs

@Microspice: Maybe a cheat day would work for you? I know some people seem to have good luck with having one day where they don't go crazy, but don't really worry about what they're consuming, either.

@Elaine AMJ: I second what Microspice has said. You're so close to your goal that your loss is going to be slow at this point. But you have come so far and are doing really well!

Thanks for the book recommendations, all! I'll have to check out some of those books. The other one I recommend is Tosca Reno's "Clean Eating Diet." It's a little stricter than I would like, but I've been trying to follow the general principles and have had a lot of luck. Particularly with slaying my sugar dragon. I have a terrible addiction to sugar, and find if I cut it out completely, the cravings and desire to eat it go away completely.

senorpanqueque

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #653 on: May 13, 2016, 10:14:49 AM »
I jogged to my parents' house on Friday to use their scale.. was pleasantly surprised to see my weight at 188.. breaking the 190 mark for the first time in a long time. How much of that weight loss was due to water weight lost, I'm not really sure.

Spring sports start for me this week, so hopefully that will help continue towards my goal - going to try to jog to my sports events wherever it is feasible as well.

I love watching sports, especially this time of year - baseball, NHL playoffs, NBA playoffs, so rather than sitting on my butt for 4 hours, I've started trying to stand for the majority of the game, and do some movement as well - doing dances for goals, pushups during breaks, etc. It kind of makes the games more exciting!

Congrats to everyone on their continued success - keep pushing!

Weighed in at 183.6 this morning from a starting weight of 208ish on March 6th or so.

So I guess that's the 25 lb. milestone!

I should say that some of that drop may just be water-weight. I put in about 20km or so combined of running, walking, jogging, so I was sweating pretty hard. We'll see if I can maintain it through a weekend that will start with Chicken Korma and beer..

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #654 on: May 13, 2016, 11:49:04 AM »
You guys are right. I'm disappointed, but certainly this isn't going to stop me. Cutting back to only eating 75% of my exercise calories should hopefully help things move in the right direction again. Even though I am close to goal (130 lbs), I am still unhappy with my body. It's better, but nowhere close to good yet. Pretty sure my ideal is about 100 lbs or so (don't know as I've never been there LOL!). I plan to hit goal, and then push onwards to 120 lbs and see how I feel then. It's still not thin OR lean, but 120 lbs would be a reasonable weight for me and I used to maintain there with no struggles.

I think back and still give myself a kick every time I realize just how far I'd let myself go in the last few years. I was about 120 lbs when I got pregnant the first time (DD is about 15 now). Eventually, after 2 babies, I was at about 130 lbs and maintained more or less for many years, creeping upwards by 1-2 lbs a year. In the past couple of years alone, I ballooned up to 154 lbs. I'm so glad the switch finally clicked and I put a full stop on the whole thing and turned the ship around. I have a plan now and am going to kick this thing!

@Frugal Lizard Dal is delicious - and healthy and low cal! I love that you made a big serving of veggies and ate that.

@Geostache SO glad to see that scale FINALLY move!!! Yay!

@ senorpanqueque Congratulations - you are rocking this :) AND you're getting in the exercise you were worried about.

Adge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #655 on: May 13, 2016, 07:30:05 PM »
I really liked the Hacker's Diet. http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/  Trendweight was created based on it. It felt very sensible, no wild theories. The guy is a computer programmer and is encouraging, real, positive, and doesn't let u dwell in a complainypants mode. I also liked his sense of humor. The book is free and I read it online bouncing around between chapters (I started reading it to understand trendweight and eventually read just about the whole thing). I also liked that he spent a chunk of time discussing a successful maintenance phase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing this! I read through it all the morning, and I have a feeling I'll be re-reading it again soon. I've been staying off the scale except for once a week, but I think as I get closer to goal and start losing more slowly it would be a good idea to start tracking 10 day trends rather than a once a week weigh-in.

I had company in town this past week and did A LOT of restaurant eating, but I think I did okay. My problem with restaurants is that I eat out so infrequently that I act like it's an excuse to go crazy. I feel like I did okay, all things considered. But I have been super hungry all week ever since, which has been tough. Definitely ready to start a new week and get back to normal.

starting weight as of mid-March: 175
last week: 156.8
this week: 155.8
goal weight: 145

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #656 on: May 14, 2016, 07:49:04 AM »
Weigh-in day:

3/12: 162.6
3/19: 161.8
3/26: 159.6
4/2: 160.2
4/9: 158.4
4/16: 158.4
4/23: 158.4
4/30: 157.6
5/7: 157.4
5/14: 158.4

I'm actually okay with the bounce upward, since I know it came from eating differently when I was sick, and I'm much better now. I'm pleased that I still logged everything I ate, and I maintained my exercise levels. I know I'll have bad weeks now and then; to me, the most important thing is to keep as much as possible on track even during a bad week.

Back to the slog.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #657 on: May 14, 2016, 10:48:33 AM »
Got back from a three week vacation and I was presently surprised to find out that I only gained 2 pounds. 

I went for a 5 mile run this morning and I definitely got a little out of shape but the overall damage from a 3 week vacation with lots of food doesn't look to bad. 

I should be able to drop the 2 pounds in a week or so since all my cardio exercise will pick up again. Definitely thought I gained 5 pounds or more so I am definitely happy. Lol

Sent from my klte using Tapatalk

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #658 on: May 15, 2016, 06:32:26 AM »
Time for the first update

Original weight: 116.3kg
Current weight: 116.8kg
Goal weight: 90kg

D'oh.

I went for a bike ride today, but that'll be offset by the plate of noodles I had for lunch, the muffin and chai latte I had soon afterwards, and dinner (Sri Lankan chicken curry and daal with spinach in it, served with basmati rice).

At least the daal's healthy...right?

RuntoFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #659 on: May 16, 2016, 12:57:05 AM »
Not sure how I didn't find this thread before. I've tried Whole30 before and that did wonder to my weight. Went from about 175 lbs to 160 lbs but I've gained a bit since then. Lately I've been just been following this - eat until I'm 70% full. I've been able to lose about 5 lbs in 3 months without changing any of my exercise routines.

@Tawcan- this is great and sounds very sustainable. How did you teach yourself to stop at 70% full? Do you use a cue or a trigger? I'd love to try this as I know that I often eat too fast and without really being conscious of exactly what I am eating.

Good weekend for me- was home alone and cooked pretty much exclusively. Down on the scale to 167, but jumped up to 168.5 today due to eating sushi (with sodium rich soy sauce) last night. Hoping to drink enough today to offset the bloat.

Workouts are going great- I find them sustainable and can see the difference in my muscles now. My DH has started telling me that I look more fit and skinnier. I'll take that over a lower number on the scale (but I want the lower number too, obviously)

@elaine amj - I agree with those who posted before- you've been doing great and are losing at a very sustainable rate. Don't beat yourself up or cut calories to an extent that's not sustainable. I suggest also adding weight training to your workout routine as it does amazing things to how you look and feel, even if it doesn't have a direct impact on the scale.

Hang in there!

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #660 on: May 16, 2016, 03:09:06 AM »
Weekend was ok. Today was attrocious. Croissants and carrots. Work stress. I hate my job. I hate that mindless shit:(

Happy thought: haven't had pretzels for weeks.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #661 on: May 16, 2016, 07:31:07 AM »
Had some slips this weekend.  Forgot to write in my journal on Saturday. Sunday dinner was out and we ate later than my habit so I was inhaling appetizer and then ate what was put on my plate instead of asking for less.  But I did work like a dog so hopefully I earned those calories.  Feeling stuffed this morning but the scale was the same this morning as yesterday and the day before.

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #662 on: May 16, 2016, 07:56:25 AM »
4/2: 236
4/11: 233 (interpolated) (-3,-3)
4/18: 230 (-3,-6)
4/25: 227.5 (-2.5,-8.5)
5/2: 224.5 (-3, -11.5)
5/6: 221 (-3.5, -15)
5/9: 221 (0,-15)
5/16: 221 (0,-15)

15 down 41 to go.  Last week was travel.  I tried to maintain the diet/exercise plan, but couldn't quite match my previous efforts.  I'm happy with maintaining, but this week its back to the grind both with diet and exercise discipline.  I'm finding that myfitnesspal food monitoring has done wonders to keep me in check.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #663 on: May 16, 2016, 08:08:33 AM »
I did not track this weekend even in the slightest. The scale is showing it today, up over 0.5 lb from Friday. D'oh! We're going camping this upcoming weekend, and DH and I went a little crazy on the junk food shopping. I'm going to have a little bit, but I am going to try to stick to eating nuts and fruit for snacks while we're out there. Oy. At least we'll be doing a lot of hiking to try to balance it out!

I am trying something different this week with my eating habits. I added another egg to my breakfast, and I'm going to skip my morning snack. I'm finding that I'm less satisfied with having 5 small meals a day. I'd much rather eat 3 square and skip the snacks. That's much more conducive to my weekend schedule anyway. This way, my eating is more consistent between the work week and weekend.

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #664 on: May 16, 2016, 08:27:41 AM »
@Chippewa - Your meal plan for the week sounds delicious. Do you wanna come cook at my house?

@Geostache - Love that you're adjusting your plan to fit your lifestyle. I think so often we hear so much conflicting info ("Eat 6 small meals a day!" "No, you should be doing intermittent fasting!"), that we often forget to just listen to our own bodies and do what works for us day in and day out.

I forgot to weigh myself this morning, so I will do my weight check-in tomorrow. Still haven't exercised, but I was a little more active this weekend than normal. So much so that on Saturday night, my body was screaming at me to go to bed at 8:00. So I did, and I'm feeling a lot better. My cough is still sticking around, but I am not going to use it as an excuse to not exercise this week.

I have been logging *some* of my food on the weekend, and I can see why I'm stalling out now. During the week, it's pretty easy for me to stick to my calorie budget, but our weekends get so social and there is ALWAYS food involved. I find myself mindlessly reaching into a bowl or having another drink. I have got to come up with a strategy to keep it in check.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #665 on: May 16, 2016, 08:48:51 AM »
Ugh Happy Monday All! At the gym this weekend I weighed myself for the first time since March. I was 150 at the doctor when I went in March which is what made me realize I need to get a grip. On Saturday the gym scale was somewhere around 148 - but different scale so who knows. Where are the days when I could maintain weight with no effort?!. SO frustrating.

Thanks for all the kids and food tips a couple of weeks ago. It actually sort of made me realize I was using my kids as an excuse. Just because they aren't going to eat a giant green salad doesn't mean I shouldn't make one. I've been trying to fill a quarter of my plate with a salad since then. Don't know if it is doing anything for my weight but I'm certainly getting more nutrients. I'm also modeling healthy eating for them.

I made it through a work trip last week with no appreciable gains - salads and sashimi kept me in check. I also stayed in my boss' my guest suite for the whole trip and ate dinner with his family several nights in a row. His wife is a fitness instructor - nothing keeps my appetite suppressed like spending time with a woman who spends a minimum of four hours a day at the gym :)

My husband starts his summer schedule this week which opens up a lot of time in our house (he's a professor). He will be helping with daycare drop offs and pick ups and that should give me more time to cook, keep the house organized and do my own job. I suspect my stress level will drop soon and that always helps with my eating. My MIL comes to visit for the week and she is a health and fitness nut so eating will be easily on point.

@Bee21 - I feel you! work sucks.

@chippewa - that grocery list looks amazing

@redmondstache - You can do it! Glad you are feeling better.

@elaine amj - you are doing such a wonderful job. As everyone else has said, the last few pounds are the hardest.

@senorpanqueque - that is an amazing loss.

@geostache - I am also a three square person! for me, snacking begets more snacking.

Hope everyone has a wonderful and healthy week!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #666 on: May 16, 2016, 11:54:18 AM »
Went up a touch this week, but with the amount of delicious food I cooked this weekend it's no wonder. The next 2 weeks may be hard while on camping vacation. We shall see.

Monday check in:

Jan 4 Starting weight: 160
Jan 11 weight: 156
Jan 18 weight: 155.2
Jan 25 weight: 156.8
Feb 1 weight: 155.2
Feb 8 weight: 153.2
Feb 15 weight: 151.6
Feb 22 weight 152.6
Feb 29 weight 152.2
Mar 7 weight 149.4
Mar 14 weight 149.4
Mar 21 weight 149.6
Mar 28 weight 149.2
Apr 4 weight 151.2
Apr 11 weight 151.4
Apr 18 weight 152.0
Apr 25 weight 152.2
May 2 weight 150.4
May 9 weight 148.8
May 16 weight 149.2
Goal weight: 130

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #667 on: May 16, 2016, 03:17:52 PM »
The weekend was so-so. I did reqsonably well but when I was at a friend's place for dinner last night, I went a bit mad and pigged out. I was sleepy and couldn't get a grip on myself.

Today hasn't been better. DH gave me a bit of a scare this morning by fainting. I went to work, but he called me an hour later asking me to come home to drive him to his medical appointments. While he was getting his treatment, I ended up buying a bag of Cheetos and chowing down. Ugh. Then came home and grabbed a handful of M&Ms to top it off. Oh well, heading out on an intense bike ride now with my bff so hopefully will get myself together again and beat off these munchies!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #668 on: May 16, 2016, 06:16:22 PM »
Well, it was a good run, but I didn't track food yesterday & now I can't remember what I had for lunch.  The new goal is to track all but one meal for the month :)

Honestly I am happy with what I have done so far because:  My sister is moving halfway across the country.  She quit her job in April & is taking May as her "farewell tour".  After that, she'll be making her life 2 time zones away.  We are pretty close  &  will miss each other a whole lot.  Just keeping the stress/emotional eating in check for this month & probably next will be the key.  I don't want to give myself permission to "maintain"; I think that would lead to slipping into old habits.

Holding the soda count for the month to 3 - that's good news

RuntoFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #669 on: May 16, 2016, 08:06:30 PM »
Thought I was keeping everything in check but up .4 on the scale today, no idea why. I do weigh myself every day and I know that this can be part of a daily fluctuation but it's still so frustrating!

Was listening to a Foodist podcast on the way in to work today and really connected with the story of a woman who realized she was eating super quickly and even after she found herself full. She started practicing mindful eating and found herself leaving half her food on her plate as she realized that she was actually full. I find that I eat super quickly as well, even if I am sitting at a table to eat. I tend to read when I eat alone, which also results in not paying attention. My DH also eats super fast, so it's not a good reinforcement during dinner.

I am going to pivot the May challenge to try this out:

- Continue not eating in front of the TV/computer - add reading to that as well
- Think about what my body is telling me and eat only when I am actually hungry
- Practice mindful eating - eat slowly, put down my fork in between bites, and stop when I am full, no books, apps, news, etc.

Wish me luck!

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #670 on: May 17, 2016, 08:30:47 AM »
Apparently, I'm doing something right, but I'm not sure what it is. The scale went down a little bit more this morning, and I continue to inch toward my goal. :-) My Fitbit has made me painfully aware of how little I move while at work, so I have a new habit I'm forming - a lap around the building after every bathroom trip. Which, since I drink a metric butt-ton of water each day, is approximately once per hour. It's an improvement, albeit a small one.

And, I am going to work out tonight - 30 Day Shred. I'm just going to, because I need to. I will feel better, look better, and sleep better if I start exercising, so I am going to just do it tonight. You all heard it here, and I want you to chew me out and berate me if tomorrow's report indicates that I flaked out. :-)

@RuntoFIRE - If you weigh yourself everyday, you will see fluctuations all the time. Up .5, down 2, then up again. If you haven't already, look into downloading TrendWeight or another weight averaging app to see your overall progress over a stretch of time. According to my app, I'm losing an average of .56 pounds per week. Or you could just do your own math. :-)

@oneday - That sister stuff is hard. Luckily, we live in the age of Skype and instant communication. It's not the same, I know - stay strong!

Weight Progress:
- 1/10: 133 pounds
- 2/22: 128 pounds
- 3/25: 123.6 pounds
- 4/28: 124.4 pounds
- 5/2: 125.0 pounds
- 5/12: 123.8 pounds
- 5/17: 123 pounds

Goal Weight: 110 pounds

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #671 on: May 17, 2016, 10:39:55 AM »
@RuntoFIRE - +1 to what MicroSpice wrote.  I've been weighing daily and it is totally normal to see a bump up or down of a few ounces daily.

@MicroSpice - thanks for the encouragement.  I'm actually seeing a trend of gaining now.  She's not living here, so she's eating out a lot due to not having a kitchen, and also to socialize...I'm going along but not making healthy choices.  It's a different challenge than I expected.  Adjusting expectation....NOW!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #672 on: May 17, 2016, 10:52:25 AM »
Apparently, I'm doing something right, but I'm not sure what it is. The scale went down a little bit more this morning, and I continue to inch toward my goal. :-) My Fitbit has made me painfully aware of how little I move while at work, so I have a new habit I'm forming - a lap around the building after every bathroom trip. Which, since I drink a metric butt-ton of water each day, is approximately once per hour. It's an improvement, albeit a small one.

This is exactly what my fitbit showed me too. hah.

I've been thinking of doing the same thing, too! lol :)

RuntoFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #673 on: May 17, 2016, 09:20:14 PM »
You are 100% right, I should not be looking at daily fluctuations.

Trendweight is showing that I am losing .2 lbs/wk. I will take that!

Yesterday I was very good about listening to my body to understand whether I was hungry or just restless, and eating very slowly and mindfully only when I was hungry. It really helped but I think I actually did not eat enough for dinner as I had trouble sleeping (which never happens to me) and I was feeling weak during my morning workout.

Overall, I am trying to adopt the attitude of not giving up but working to figure out how to get sustainable results. I am very thankful for this message board for the encouragement and sharing and can do attitude.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #674 on: May 17, 2016, 09:48:12 PM »
Trendweight is showing that I am losing .2 lbs/wk. I will take that!

I got this idea years ago that really slow weight loss, like a max of 1-2 pounds per month, is more sustainable than faster weight loss. No idea if it's actually true, but it has stuck with me. So FWIW, @RuntoFire, I think you're doing great.

My rule is that if the scale trends downward at all, I am succeeding. If it doesn't, I still have tweaks to make.

I'm not doing great this week; I've got some new stressors that are encouraging me to eat mindlessly in a sugar-filled extravaganza. The good news is that they should resolve within a few weeks. The bad news is that they're insidious and really hard to fight.

What kills me is that when I'm in the right mindspace, eating mindfully and moderately isn't even a chore or a problem. It's getting into and maintaining that mindspace that's the problem, and that's where I'm falling down right now, despite meditation, breathing, and all that happy crap.

So -- wish me luck getting back into that more peaceful mindspace?

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #675 on: May 18, 2016, 12:22:15 PM »
You guys.

YOU GUYS.

I did not work out last night. Beat myself up for it, but I was so tired and so ready for bed, I just could not deal.

So when I was getting ready for work this morning, I said to myself, "MicroSpice, this is ridiculous. You are young(ish), healthy, privileged beyond belief, and you can't bother to get off your ass for a mere 20 minutes to better yourself? STOP IT! No more bullshitting." I packed up my running shoes and some workout clothes to take to work. I downloaded the Couch25K app. And ...

I DID IT! I took 30 minutes away from my desk and I did Week 1, Day 1 of C25K. Even though I didn't want to. Even though it was RAINING outside. WHAT?! MicroSpice would NEVER do that. Ever. But MicroSpice 2.0 does. (Okay, so I went to the multi-level parking garage to keep from getting my hair wet - I'm still vain, you guys).

I am still kind of in disbelief. But I already feel better. And this is a workout that I can do anywhere, anytime - just add running shoes. I am totally going to do it when I am in Mexico in a couple weeks. My girlfriends will give me crap for it, but I do not care. This is going to be awesome. I am going to do this.

@RedmondStash - With you on the slow loss. I mean, it's not like I have much of a choice anyway - if I wanted to lose 2 pounds per week, I'd be limited to like, 950 calories a day. Not gonna happen. Hope you can find your happy place for the next few weeks!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #676 on: May 18, 2016, 12:25:35 PM »
Great job Microspice 2.0! You are a weight loss MACHINE!

RuntoFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #677 on: May 18, 2016, 08:13:32 PM »
Good job MicroSpice 2.0! Isn't it amazing how it's about giving yourself that little push to actually go and do the workout, and then finding that the workout is actually easy/not that bad, and makes you feel great? Keep going! Having an app to track progress and make sure that you are sticking to plan is helpful too.

RedmondStash- thank you for the wise words. It's very true that as long as the trend is going in the right direction, I shouldn't care about how much it's going down because sooner or later, I will get there. I hear you about the mindspace- there are days when you are so determined and motivated and mindful that eating healthfully seems so easy, but there are other days when you are distracted and running around and all of the mindfulness goes out the window. Wishing you luck in finding that mindspace on a regular basis.

I have happy news to report. I am down again on the scale, this time to 167.1. Trendweight now shows a trend of a 0.3 lbs loss per week. Woohoo. But really, what it's been is that for the past 2 days I have been trying to eat slowly and really listen to my body, instead of assuming that what it wants is food. For example, from breakfast to lunch, I did realize that I need a snack but that an apple is more than enough to hold me over. What I also found is how thirsty I was. I didn't really pay attention to thirst. I drank water, of course, but since tuning in I have been gulping water down to satisfy my thirst. I suspect the increased physical activity, coupled with moving to a humid climate (I've only been in Hong Kong for three months) has really increased my need for water and I haven't been giving my body what it needs. Since then, the scale has rewarded me with a loss of 1.9 lbs! I'm secretly hoping that's the silver bullet for me, even though I know it won't be, but I feel good about paying more attention.

Also, I've been looking for ways to reward myself for consistently sticking to my workout habit. I want to get new shoes, but my shoes as still ok, so it's hard to justify spending money. I've also been on the look out for shorts or tank tops. Do you guys have any favorites? Or other favorite ways to reward yourselves?

Good luck to all today!

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #678 on: May 19, 2016, 07:25:22 AM »
Microspice: Way to go! Sometimes a little self-push is all you need to get started on a new habit! Hold on to that feeling of being proud of yourself (As you rightfully should be!) and use it to keep your momentum going!

After a good loss last week, this week has been terrible. I have been in a hormonal-induced depression for the past 5 days or so. Like, serious, serious depression. I've never experienced such dire thoughts in my life. I'm going to have to talk to my doctor about it, because I cannot function with having nearly a week every month like that. It was truly awful. I tried everything I could to lift my spirits, including eating tons of food, having a few drinks, meditation, sleep, exercise, you name it. Nothing helped. At its worst, I couldn't even engage with my kids. Tomorrow is weigh-in day, and I fully expect to see the gain associated with that depression.

Fortunately, I feel better today. Not back to my 100% self, but a heck of a lot better than the past two days. So, today is a new day, and I'm going to move forward knowing that there was nothing I could have done differently to change what happened this past week.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #679 on: May 19, 2016, 07:26:38 AM »
I'm basically typing to keep myself from eating right now :) I started back to my summer exercise routine a couple of weeks and now I am just hungry all of the time.

I swam this morning and that always makes me ravenous and I know that I'm going to eat far more than the (maybe) 300 calories that I burned if I eat anything right now. I know exercise is so good for my body but I actually hate how hungry it makes me!

I had a really lovely, balanced and filling dinner last night: steamed broc, garlic salmon over whole wheat cous cous mixed w/sauteed spinach - i was pleasantly full at 7pm, by 10 my stomach was actually growling at me.

@Microspice - good for you going running and good for you for planning to keep it up on a trip!

@RuntoFIRE - I'm so glad that you are going to reward yourself! I actually just joined a beauty subscription for the first time as a little bit of reward/self care. It is $10 a month and I'll get skin and hair care stuff and some make up. I figure I'll actually be forced to spend time on myself if the stuff is delivered to my door because I would talk myself out of buying it at the store. And while it may be a bit more expensive than a a few Aldi marzipans every month, it is definitely better for me :) I got my first delivery yesterday and it really was a wonderful treat for the day.

@oneday - good for you for keeping it to only 3 sodas. Cutting the soda is so hard.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #680 on: May 19, 2016, 08:21:58 AM »
Oh my people: I am feeling down but then I read your posts and hope returns.  Big hugs to you all but especially Geostache. Please keep looking after yourself. 

Today is weigh in day for me.
4/15 - 138
4/22 - 137.5
4/29 - 137
5/5 - 136
5/12 – 135
5/19 - 135
Goal : 120 lbs.

Write down everything I eat in my food journal: still almost there
No eating at the counter or out of the container or from the buffet:  mostly
Sit down with food served on dishes in the dining room - no tv on:  mostly
Serve food in the kitchen buffet style: yes
No cleaning off the kids plates: yes
No juice: yes
No pop:  yes
Only really good food:  yes
2/3 of meal to be veg or fruit:  not doing so well at this
No snacking at the computer:  yes and no snacking in front of the tv either.

Other initiatives:  I am not getting enough exercise this week or eating enough greens. I have been so stressed with work, my computer/communication not working properly and this is so not my area of expertise.  We are going to spend some more money on the house this summer and trying to figure out how is also stressing me out.  Trying not to feel bummed about the slow progress because progress is progress.  I think the real issue is that I am passed the initial excitement of deciding to make the change and face the truth about weight creep. Now is the hard part of keeping with the less rewarding saying no – having just enough - ALL THE TIME.

But I do feel so much better when I read your successes and struggles and feel not alone.  I still haven't told family that I am doing this and they haven't noticed it yet. 

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #681 on: May 19, 2016, 09:58:23 AM »
@Geostache - I'm so sorry you're struggling with depression. It is an absolutely horrible, isolating, terrifying ordeal. Please, please talk to your doc ASAP - you do not have to live like that.

@Frugal Lizard - My own husband didn't notice I had lost weight until I was about 2 months in and 8 pounds down. And he didn't think I had lost weight, he said, "That outfit makes you look skinnier." I had to tell him it was because I actually *was* skinnier. :-) Do it for you, nobody else.

@StarBright - Exercise ALWAYS makes me hungrier. That's probably a subconscious reason for my not doing it for so long. I find it easier to lose weight through calorie restriction rather than through a combination of diet and exercise. Just try to listen to your body, drink lots of water, and when you are hungry, try to choose things that have lots of protein or fiber. They tend to keep you fuller and more satisfied for a longer time.

@RuntoFIRE - Congrats on the loss!

I only feel a little bit sore after yesterday's "run", so that is somewhat encouraging. Should have no problem with tomorrow's run.

And it's a good thing that tomorrow is a workout day, because it is also my ten-year wedding anniversary with Mr. Spice. We are going to have cocktails at the venue where we were married, and then go out to a fancy-pants dinner. I have pre-logged what I anticipate eating, and let's just say it's not going to be pretty in terms of calories. But that's okay - it's going to be delicious and it's to celebrate a noteworthy milestone with my man. No guilt will be had, and I will get back on this train the following day. Hopefully, with little to no hangover. :-)

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #682 on: May 19, 2016, 05:13:20 PM »
This week was suboptimal with work eating out of control on monday.survived a wednesday morning tea due to emergency carrots.

Dinners were ok, had less meat than usual, so this is good progress for me as i am trying to reduce my meat consumption. We are having vegan people for dinner on saturday, that will be interesting( esp for my husband).

no pretzels!!! this might be the third week, so i think i managed to break that habit. Yay. And also refused to bake cookies for the kids yesterday.  We had a fruit platter instead.

In other news, the fat kid in her classroom was teasing my skinny little daughter for her lunchbox. Avocado sandwich and veggie wrap are apparently yuck. Asked the offspring what does the other child bring, and apparently it's crackers and cookies. Sigh. Luckily, my kid understands the difference between healthy food and crackers, and has no issues with her avocado sandwich, but she can't handle the teasing.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #683 on: May 19, 2016, 06:43:32 PM »
Bee21:  My son (14yo) brought home a sandwich from a buddy.  Buddy went out for lunch and was going to pitch it and my son says "I'll eat it".  It was a slice of processed meat on white wonderbread.  Two things you can't even find in our house.  I am looking at this object and thinking what is it and having trouble comprehending it as a food item.  My husband gets home and goes through the same thing.  Amazing how much variation there is in eating habits.  We had forgotten that some people call that white stuff bread.  My son was going to take it back to school then next day until he saw both of his parent's reactions.

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #684 on: May 20, 2016, 09:22:59 AM »
5/20: 221 (0,-15)

Stall out much?  I had a snaccident yesterday with a food day at work followed by a trip to the bar after work to celebrate a co-worker's milestone.  Those two combined wiped out my discipline from the first half of the week.  I measured my waist today and its down 3" from 4/2, so I'll choose to celebrate that rather than dwell on my current plateau.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #685 on: May 20, 2016, 09:35:30 PM »
@Microspice: Thanks. Fortunately, it was only only temporary, as it was truly related to hormones. But still, it was pretty bad.

Weigh in day revealed a 0.8 lb weight gain this week, which shows me that I'm pretty much in maintenance mode. I'm okay with that for now. My anxiety is under control probably for the first time in my adult life, and I have been able to sit back and relax, and enjoy the company of my family for the first time since the twins have been born. My main focus now is showing the kids what healthy eating patterns look like, which, admittedly since I have started taking medication, has not been that great. Back to meal planning and cooking healthy foods! And making healthy snacks for me, too.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #686 on: May 21, 2016, 04:43:05 AM »
Geostache:  sounds like you have got your feet back under you.  Good.  It is really good for kids to see you enjoying life and modelling healthy behaviour.  It may also help them to see how you cope and make contingency plans for those periods when things are going to sideways.  Would it help if you made snack /meals and put them in the freezer for next under-the-weather pause?

Did less well at happy hour last night, but came home to a delicious ultra-healthly meal sitting on the counter waiting for the last touches.  And the best part - it was made with a number of ingredients from my garden even though it hailed and sleeted and snowed last Sunday.  Man did that spinach taste good. 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #687 on: May 21, 2016, 07:03:58 AM »
Should start tracking this here. Started in the 187-188 range a few weeks ago but didn't really keep track.

5/21 - 186.2

Slowly making my way lower...

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #688 on: May 21, 2016, 07:30:06 AM »
Weigh-in day:

3/12: 162.6
3/19: 161.8
3/26: 159.6
4/2: 160.2
4/9: 158.4
4/16: 158.4
4/23: 158.4
4/30: 157.6
5/7: 157.4
5/14: 158.4
5/21: 157.2
Goal: 125 (actually more like 135, but they say the last 10 pounds are the hardest, so I figure if I aim for 10 pounds lower, it'll be easier to get to my actual goal)

I ate like crap this past week, so today's drop in weight is baffling. But I'll take it. Hey, some weeks I eat perfectly and the needle on the scale doesn't budge. I guess it all balances out over time. Just like the stock market. :)

I'm working with two new docs on two different chronic health ailments, and I am hopeful and nervous and feeling a little weird physically from new supplements, all of which leads me to worse food choices. I'm very much an anxious eater. So I expect a lot of bouncing around for the next few months. But I'll say yes to all the healthy choices I can.

It helps reading all of your stories; we all have our stressors and our ups and downs. Luck, persistence, and patience to all of us.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #689 on: May 21, 2016, 11:49:21 AM »
As you can all probably tell from the stark silence this past week, I've been avoiding y'all. On Monday, there was a bit of stress surrounding my husband's health and I took the day off work to help. This started a mad binge that kept going all week. I'm talking buying a six pack of glazed donuts and eating in my car to eat it then hiding the evidence from dh type of binge. And stuffing myself until uncomfortably full at dinner and baking cookies with my DD after so I can stuff my face some more type of binge. And buying giant bags of cheetos and chowing down the whole thing at work type of binge. Its been bad.

Yesterday I was finally able to stop. I decided that I didn't have the energy to yell at myself about it. What worked this time was just quietly going back to my normal healthy home cooking. And logging. Logging really works for me.

Finally dared to weigh myself today. I put on FOUR pounds in the past week. Insanity.

On the good side, I have been keeping up with my cycling training. We go at least 3 times a week and I've been feeling great! Today was a 60km ride that took us 2hrs 45mins because my friend was struggling. Even at 75%, that's a 1000 calories!! After eating so much all week though, I'm not going to eat that back. Just sticking to my usual 1200 calorie plan.

Rather annoyed that I have been "wasting" all my exercise by eating so much. To top it off, this week, I FiNALLY look thinner. Stupid of me to sabotage myself.

Anyway, just have to say that reading through all your posts for the past week made my heart happy. Being here puts a smile on my face and helps me know that I am not alone. Soon, this will be just a blip on my journey. Onwards!!

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #690 on: May 21, 2016, 06:26:17 PM »
So I finally decided to stop being lazy and start making green smoothies again.  The last time I lost weight, it was using smoothies, but they would take so much time in the mornings!  I made one this morning and realized how much I was missing drinking them.  And I decided to combat the time thing.  I built a weeks worth of smoothie ingredients in freezer bags.  Now all I'll have to do is pull one out of the freezer in the morning, let it thaw a bit while I get ready, add two cups of water, and blend.  If it works out well, I'll spend an hour every weekend building the kits.  Each makes a quart of smoothie, and I drink half for breakfast and half for an afternoon snack.

I had to go pants shopping last week.  I had just tossed out two more pairs of jeans with too many holes to be considered proper anymore.  So I went to the thrift store and tried on about 30 pairs.  I ended up with 4 and was pleased to see that they were all size 12s.  I thought, with the weight gain over the last year, that I'd be up to at least a 14.  I'm hoping this means that I'm more muscley than I was last time I weighed this much.  Anyway.  New sub-goal is that the next time I go shopping, it's because the pants I just bought are all too big.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #691 on: May 22, 2016, 07:52:59 AM »
Sunday night means update time :)

Original weight: 116.3kg
Last week's weight: 116.8kg
Current weight: 115.7kg
Goal weight: 90kg

This is a surprise. Dinner was pasta (with a sauce made from scratch) and wine, lunch involved a lot of rice and I ate a big piece of baklava (from Aldi) last night.

Note to self, don't buy baklava. The stuff is a flaky, sweet, glorious calorie bomb.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 07:56:19 AM by alsoknownasDean »

FunkyChopstick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #692 on: May 22, 2016, 06:40:22 PM »
Hey slimming Peeps!

I am digging this thread! I have morphed in the last five years from curvy to uncomfortably curvy. My knees have been feeling it and I just am not happy in my own body anymore.  Enough is enough, and last weekend I went to the grocery store and stocked up on things that may not have been as mustachian as they could have but have already helped me feel better.

I packed lunch all this week ( I had fallen from grace for a month or two) and it was amazing. At the store I bought a giant tub of hummus, baby carrots, and canned seltzer water to support my lunches. Could I have bought chickpeas and regular monster carrots? Of course. Though they were a bit frivolous, cost vs convenience got thrown out the window and I was off to the races.

Took my first gym shower and it wasn't as bad as I thought. Now I just roll out of bed, work out, then shower and get ready for the gym before work. I am 5' 2" and approx 195 lbs now. I was at my happy place when I was 140lbs. Little by little I will chug ( on seltzer water and protein shakes) my way there!

Erica

• Bristles
  • Married
« Reply #693 on: May 22, 2016, 08:40:28 PM »
I lost 6 lbs riding my bike last 4 months.

Not much but when we move closer to that area, we'll add a day of riding

Hopefully that will allow me to loose the remaining 6 pounds.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #694 on: May 23, 2016, 07:38:22 AM »
@Elaine AMJ: I'm sorry to hear about your husband's health. I hope that he's on the mend! It's hard when our loved ones are not doing well. It's good that you're not beating yourself up over the binging either. One of the hardest things to do is to forgive yourself. Keeping the perspective that it's just a blip is a good way to look at things!

@FunkyChopsticks: Welcome to the thread! Hummus and carrots are one of my favorite snacks!

After Friday's weigh in, I spent most of Friday and all weekend feeling under the weather. We had all the junk food from our rained-out camping trip (which, in hindsight was a blessing given the way that we all felt this weekend), which I tried to keep at a moderate intake, both for myself and the family. Unfortunately, once the kiddos got a taste of the junk food, that's all they kept asking for. I realized that it would lead down a slippery path if I kept giving in, so I had to put a stop to it. Parenting can be so hard! My daughter especially likes the stuff, and will ask for any junk food that is in the house instead of eating healthy foods. Time to practice my "No" voice, in addition to explaining to the kids why eating junk all the time isn't a good idea.

Needless to say, I haven't weighed or logged all weekend. I will weigh myself tomorrow and get back to our healthy eating habits. Stupid illness!

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #695 on: May 23, 2016, 09:03:52 AM »
@chippewa real food is good! Keep it up :)

@Geostache sorry to hear u were under the weather. Its hard to control our kids junk food. We have been consciously working on keeping less junk at home and offering them real food. They have found they love to snack on carrots - I just peel it and hand it over (trying to avoid baby carrots). They also love whole cucumbers. I have also been buying sweet peppers for my son.

Then again, today I bought my DD yogurt covered raisins. My DH was not impressed.

I have moved past the binge. In the past couple of days I have dropped 3 pounds. So a lot was just water weight.

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #696 on: May 23, 2016, 02:09:13 PM »
5/20: 221 (0,-15)
5/23: 218.5 (-2.5,-17.5)

FINALLY the scale moved.  This weekend was very active.  20 mile bike with my son on Saturday,  Sunday I did the long training run for the half marathon scheduled in 2 weeks followed by 1200 yard straight swim with my son.  He's getting into triathlons and wants company as he trains and that's all come to me.  For food I was fairly reasonable, staying in my caloric goal, but my macro balance was shifted too far into carb/fats.  38.5 lbs to go to goal.

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #697 on: May 23, 2016, 02:11:39 PM »
Hey everyone! I hope you all had decently healthy weekends. I am proud to report that although I didn't do my second day of C25K on Friday as planned, I did get up and do it on Saturday. I have my third day today, and will go out after the kiddo is in bed. I have too many meetings at work today to squeeze it in here. But I'm glad that I haven't just given up on this front, like I normally do.

Also, I did the unthinkable on Saturday and went shopping for a new swimsuit (with a handy gift card I had saved from Christmas). It was not as God-awful as I expected. Not particularly pleasant, but not completely demoralizing, either. So I'm calling that a non-scale victory for the month. ;-)

@elaine amj - Glad you're back. :-)

@FunkyChopstick - Welcome!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #698 on: May 23, 2016, 07:50:18 PM »
Got really off the program this weekend.  Had a root beer, 3 fruit juice-soda, nacho chips with sour cream and rhubarb crisp with ice cream.  I have had house guests for most of the weekend, been out to dinner at my folks and had neighbours dropping in  or popping by to others and have been declining offer upon offer of refreshment.  So maybe it has been good that I only said yes about five times but I didn't write anything in my food journal - nada.  Hopefully all the digging and raking and hauling I have been doing will reduce some of the calories.  I woke up hungry every morning this weekend.  The only part of my plan I have been sticking with is eating lots of veg and sitting down at the table.  Oh well.  Starting again tomorrow....Two days until weighin.  Maybe something magical will happen.

I really should visit you guys every morning to help maintain my resolve.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #699 on: May 23, 2016, 08:02:56 PM »
This thread is encouraging.