Author Topic: Losing Weight in 2016  (Read 459569 times)

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
Re: Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #400 on: April 11, 2016, 08:38:36 AM »
@Cookie78 It's so frustrating to see it creep up again, isn't it? Just remember, it has gone down before and can go down again! What worked for you then? What's working against you now? Small blips up and down is no big deal and just a part of life, but if you are seeing a consistent upward trend, it's a good time to reassess. Do you need to refocus? This is also likely a good time to consider what you can commit to in the long term. The time will come when you hit goal weight and move into maintenance - how do you see yourself eating for the rest of your life?

These are all things I've had to take a good, hard look at in the last week when my binging started getting out of control again.

Jan 4 - 154 lbs
Jan 11 - 153.2 lbs
Jan 18 - 149.2lbs
Jan 25 - 149.2lbs
Feb 1 - 146.6lbs
Feb 8 - 144.8lbs
Feb 15 - 143lbs
Feb 22 - 141.2lbs
Feb 29 - 143 lbs
Mar 7 - 138.2 lbs
Mar 14 - VACATION
Mar 21 - 140.2 lbs
Mar 28 - 137.8 lbs
April 4 - 138.4 lbs
April 11 - 137.4 lbs

GOAL WEIGHT - 130lbs

Total: 16.6 lbs

This week, I went back to logging consistently and FINALLY started seeing the downward trend again. I actually hit a new low of 136.2 lbs yesterday and was super excited. Which made it particularly frustrating to see myself at 137.4 lbs this morning. I was pretty sure I would see it though - we had Chinese food last night and I knew the extra sodium would do me in this morning. It will also fall off just as quickly.

It's a little frustrating that my new eating style is still not ingrained in me - I'm on Month 4. But when the opportunity presented itself, I went right back to my old ways of binging. That's what happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I tried not logging consistently and weighing everything and quickly slipped back into overeating. I do like a lot of the healthy food I am eating. I definitely enjoy my meals (had a super yummy cobb salad for lunch). But man, yesterday, DH and I were both craving Chinese food and finally gave in and went out to eat. It was SO GOOD!! I can cook all kinds of yummy things now. I even make all kinds of yummy low cal and healthy Chinese food. But oh boy, food drowned in sodium was incredibly delicious.

And perhaps, it's a mental thing and I need it to be OK. Realistically speaking, we are not going to give up eating out at our favourite Chinese restaurants. Judging from the last few months, we probably go about 1x a month. I need to learn to work it in to my life and not feel guilty about it. This whole relationship with food thing is a hard one to learn to navigate!

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #401 on: April 11, 2016, 12:56:46 PM »
It's a little frustrating that my new eating style is still not ingrained in me - I'm on Month 4. But when the opportunity presented itself, I went right back to my old ways of binging. That's what happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I tried not logging consistently and weighing everything and quickly slipped back into overeating. I do like a lot of the healthy food I am eating.

And perhaps, it's a mental thing and I need it to be OK. Realistically speaking, we are not going to give up eating out at our favourite Chinese restaurants. Judging from the last few months, we probably go about 1x a month. I need to learn to work it in to my life and not feel guilty about it. This whole relationship with food thing is a hard one to learn to navigate!

@Elaine: Look at it this way: Your eating habits became engrained over years, and you've made huge strides in the past couple of months! It's going to take awhile for the old triggers, either food or otherwise, to change. Be patient with yourself and know that you're already leaps and bounds ahead of where you were when you started. Have your Chinese food - enjoy it, and know that because  you're paying attention, it's not going to impact you in the long run!

@Cookie78: Someone told me to start paying attention to how you feel with your new eating habits. Are you eating because you're hungry, or for some other reason? How does your body react to eating a lot of food? Do you feel more energetic, or lethargic? Are some foods triggering you to over eat? Also, don't rule out the medication factor. If hunger/weight gain is an actual side effect of the medicine, it really could be due to that and nothing else.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #402 on: April 11, 2016, 01:29:50 PM »

@Elaine: Look at it this way: Your eating habits became engrained over years, and you've made huge strides in the past couple of months! It's going to take awhile for the old triggers, either food or otherwise, to change. Be patient with yourself and know that you're already leaps and bounds ahead of where you were when you started. Have your Chinese food - enjoy it, and know that because  you're paying attention, it's not going to impact you in the long run!

You are so right. Patience, patience, PATIENCE!! Patience seems to be the key to this whole weight loss thing. Take things day by day in manageable chunks and TRUST THE PROCESS. I keep reminding myself that for each small change, I have to give my body 3-4 weeks to evaluate whether it is working or not.

I am now debating whether to up my activity level in MFP or leave it at the low sedentary level. I am 5 ft tall and at sedentary, MFP gives me 1200 calories a day. Even when I don't do any intentional exercise, I do burn more calories than that. Especially since cooking takes 1-2 hours now. So I'm not as sedentary as I claim. On the good side, if I am working out regularly and eat all my exercise calories, it's pretty balanced and I lose my targeted 1 lb a week. However, I'm not exercising as routinely as I was. Without those extra calories I am undereating. At first I decided to leave it as is to give myself the "fudge factor". So I ended last week being over by 250 calories because I ran out of time to do a planned workout.

Now I am wondering if I should be more accurate - tell MFP I am "lightly active", have the extra calories in my everyday life, and go back to eating only half my exercise calories. That might be a better way of doing it. I do like paying attention to whether my number is red or green and I KNOW 1200 calories leads me to feeling deprived. I need a little more wiggle room. On the other hand, maybe I should use this to motivate me to resume my workouts? Decisions, decisions!

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #403 on: April 11, 2016, 01:49:03 PM »
@elaine , just wanted to chime in with a note of caution on upping your activity level, especially to break plateaus or speed up loss.

There is starting to be scientific consensus on the idea that exercise doesn't actually help with long term weight loss. It usually backfires and sets one up for yo yoing.

So go out there and move and exercise  if you want because it is good for your body and your joints and your heart, etc. But I would avoid it as a weight loss tool.

Additionally, some of the literature I've read seems to indicate that it can be good for your body to plateau for a while - it is essentially adjusting to a "new normal." If I recall correctly, one paper said that every 10% of weight you lose, you should try to maintain at the weight for several months, giving your body a new "set point" and helping maintain the loss. The science on that is iffier, but I found it intriguing.

In any case- Yes! Patience! and good job on your loss so far!

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #404 on: April 11, 2016, 02:40:15 PM »
I think exercise is important. I feel so much better on the days I manage to do something. The other days I'm struggling with lack of energy. I'm slowly building up my fitness level after that back injury. Did 30 mins of cardio twice this weekend and sneaked out for a 30 min walk at lunchtime yesterday.

The weight is still 84 kgs. I tried on a few dresses this weekend and yeah, not a good look.

Concentrating on snacking this week. No more pretzels. Last year I managed to break the chocolate and mango yoghurt habit, this year's enemy are those damn pretzels. I'm packing emergency carrots.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
Losing Weight in 2016
« Reply #405 on: April 11, 2016, 07:10:00 PM »
@bee21 time to work on those habit hacks! U conquered one habit last year so obviously you know how to do it. You CAN do this :) We're all rooting for ya!

@starbright Thanks :) I agree - weightloss happens in the kitchen. Very interesting what u said about plateaus. I am going to keep that in mind. I do add some cardio when I can as I like being able to eat some extra calories. I also need to start getting into serious training for my big adventure race this summer. I still haven't really started (I don't think neighborhood walks count lol).

After posting earlier, I went back to MFP and changed my settings to "lightly active". My jaw dropped. I got THIRTY whole calories more for a total of 1230 calories a day. Ugh. Wait till I start logging my cooking time as exercise LOL! Anyway, I'll take the extra 30 cals I guess.

I had a bigger dinner tonight. Made sweet n sour pork for my kids and they oohed and aahed over it so much I couldn't resist eating some too. (Btw, bisquick, milk, and broth make a super yummy batter). On the good side, I was feeling reluctant to do my workout video but as I was washing up, noted the gorgeous sunny evening. DD and I ended up taking the dog on a nice 1.5hr walk so I got to burn off a lot of the extra calories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:34:27 PM by elaine amj »

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #406 on: April 12, 2016, 10:12:51 AM »
@alleykat: When I eat refined carbs, I have found that it really messes with my blood sugar. White bread, pasta, and even white rice wreaks havoc on my blood sugar. I try to just avoid it at all costs. YMMV, but try cutting it way back and see what happens. And being down two pounds is nothing to sneeze at! I have been using my weight trend to help me see past the daily fluctuations. It helps to know that even if it appears that I magically gained 5 pounds overnight, the trend is going in the right direction!

I agree on the refined carbs.  Sometimes, it is just an easy dinner.  But, it always makes me eat more. The same with high fat stuff as well. Changing the way we eat takes patience and practice, for sure.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #407 on: April 12, 2016, 10:22:22 AM »
I have cut way back on my junk food. Some days are worse than others, but that is okay with me as long as I don't slide completely back. The more I am incorporating exercise into my schedule the better I feel and it is making me think twice about hitting the dessert table at work.  I actually consider if it is worth the calories. No more mindless picking.  It is working for now......   I am also getting better at not just eating because I am bored.  I failed last night, but I am getting better. 

I think I lost another lb last week, bringing the total to 3 lbs so far.  I need to mark the day I started, just for kicks.   I like that I don't feel so bloated.   

It looks like everyone is really hanging in there.  Good luck, everyone.  Stay strong. 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #408 on: April 12, 2016, 10:45:27 AM »
I use myfitnesspal and track everything.  It can be an annoyance, but I think I have some semi-addictive behavior towards food.  It works.   I've not done so good in 2016, but I'm still down nearly 30 lbs since I started 3 years ago.

It is just simple calories in < calories out, but there's a whole lot of strategy behind that.  Some things that really help me stay on that plan, though, are:

- DO NOT try to lose weight quickly.  It's bad for your health and you will burn out.  10-20 lbs/year is good. 
- Make small incremental changes that you can stick with forever, instead of big changes that you can't sustain.  Honestly losing weight is easy; it's keeping it off that can be a challenge. 
- Use whatever tools you can find to keep yourself motivated. 
- Budget in splurges for the bad things you really crave
- Accept that it will be one step back for every two steps forward.  You'll slip up and gain, or need to take a break.  It's no big deal at all as long as the overall trend is down. 
- Learn how to cook and accept that bad cooking is the gateway to learning
- Work exercise into the fabric of your life instead of making it a separate activity.  Take the stairs.  Walk or bike for actual transportation instead of just as a compartmentalized activity.
- Put vegetables, fruits, and anything else with a lot of fiber at the center of your plate.   Meats and carbs should be sides or garnishes, not front and center like they were when people worked all day in the fields.  Maybe leave the starches out all together sometimes since most people who can afford internet access don't need cheap calories to keep from starving like our ancestors did. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #409 on: April 12, 2016, 10:28:35 PM »
Dec 2015: X
Jan 5: X-5
Apr 9: X-7

Goal: 20 lbs lost in 2016

Still bouncing around the X-6 to X-7 range.  I'm glad to be holding steady here & not moving upwards.  Eating is not all that great, but getting more & more in control.  Looking back over recent result is keeping me in check.  Also, getting close to 8# lost, which is equal my previous heaviest weight ever (hope you can make sense of that).  So close I can taste it (pun intended)!

I didn't eat any of the baked goods in the office kitchen today...didn't even crave them.  That was a win!

Parizade, glad to see you here.  Everyone here is supportive & postive.  I'm sure you can share your weight lost strategies & inspirations.  Seems like win-win to me.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #410 on: April 12, 2016, 11:35:45 PM »
Ugh. Due to recent stressful life events, I've been binging like crazy.

Time to get back on the wagon. I threw away all of sweets left at home and only have healthy food left. My biggest challenge now will probably be at work, as there's always lots of great food around.

Sigh.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #411 on: April 13, 2016, 08:11:03 AM »
Ugh. Due to recent stressful life events, I've been binging like crazy.

Time to get back on the wagon. I threw away all of sweets left at home and only have healthy food left. My biggest challenge now will probably be at work, as there's always lots of great food around.

Sigh.

My sympathies, sunnyca. I've been bouncing between no appetite and massive cravings to fall face-first into a pile of chocolate cake. Yesterday the craving was practically a physical pain, so I succumbed and bought a slice of cake. No regrets, though. Each day is new; each day, I can fine-tune my strategies to see which work better.

My biggest challenge is at work too. I try to bring in somewhat healthier junk-food alternatives, like high-percentage dark chocolate to stave off the attacks of Peanut M&Ms, plain yogurt that I doctor myself so it doesn't have huge amounts of sugar, and berries, which, for me, take enough of the edge of the "dessert" craving. Sometimes carrot sticks help with chip cravings. It takes some experimentation, but if I don't bring adequate substitutes, I end up eating exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #412 on: April 13, 2016, 12:50:00 PM »
@dougules Thanks so much for sharing what has worked for you! I have been learning that budgeting in for splurges can be extremely helpful. And like you said - slow and steady wins the race! I think you are right in that it is rare for someone to make it the whole way with no "slipups", deviations from "the plan", or plateaus. I feel accepting that and working it into your overall plans is important for long term success.

On my recent weeklong vacation, I ate anything and everything I wanted. But I also walked a lot. I put on 2 lbs but a week later, dropped 3 lbs. That went well from a mental perspective and I was happy and on track. Unfortunately, a week later, I had the TOM cravings and refused to acknowledge it or allow myself some leeway. I ended up binging badly and went on a downward spiral for a few days. I then also decided that I was good enough at estimating to quit logging strictly. Well - it wasn't pretty and I've had a lot of hard work to get myself back to "normal" again.

@sunnyca You CAN do this! :) Looking forward to hearing your future reports of success. Remember, every day is a brand new day.

@alleykat It's tough to change habits, especially with the mindless eating. That's awesome that you're getting better! Maybe start planning snacks for the evenings? That way, you still have your snacks but it's not mindless eating. Put together things that are delicious and that you look forward to eating.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #413 on: April 13, 2016, 04:39:24 PM »
Blech- I didn't plan well this week and didn't buy enough fruit or salad. And I basically forgot to buy myself anything for lunch - I somehow manage to plan everyone else's lunches but not my own.

Today I ate a croissant, chips and salsa, a tablespoon of chocolate chips with a marshmallow and a single serving of guacamole eaten with my finger. I am officially gross :)

Ahh well - I shop again on Saturday and will plan better. Up until today I had been doing a nice job on cutting out carbs at snack time. I was feeling way less bloated.

Also re my previous post on getting exercise - I should have worded it better - exercise is wonderful and good for you and everyone should do it because it makes your body stronger! It was more the idea of exercising specifically to burn calories to help with weight loss that is starting to be seen as not very helpful. By All Means - Get out there and get moving, your knees and hips will thank you for it :)

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #414 on: April 13, 2016, 05:18:18 PM »
Keep up everybody!

Ate only 1 bag of pretzels this week :) the emergency carrots helped. It is the crunch factor i need. Plus the saltiness, but that has to go. Actually, i realize now that this pretzel habit is a replacement of the chips habit i used to have. At least a bit lower in fat but still bad. I tried popcorn, but didn't react well to it. I might try to pop some in a brown bag in the office microwawe, but i think i'll have to establish a carrot habit instead. eating-wise wednesday was the best so far this week.

I still hate myself for getting this fat.

Stressful times are coming at work, so i have to plan for that. I Always eat when stressed. At least the kids finally sleep through the night and are less annoying on a daily basis, so there is no stress factor at home.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #415 on: April 13, 2016, 06:50:01 PM »
Today, with various stressors and availability of junk food, I fell face-first into a pile of chocolate-covered peanut butter cups and then a pile of chocolate cake. BUT -- with my new reduced snacking and eating habits, and a slightly increased ability to rein myself in and not overdo on the delicious treats, I still stayed within my calorie goal for the day. So I'm feeling pretty good about that.

Of course, tomorrow is another day. The peanut butter cups are still there.

At least I've managed to avoid the chips bin for weeks now. I've gotten into the habit of a midmorning snack of plain yogurt sweetened with stevia and vanilla powder.

Habits really work, yo.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #416 on: April 13, 2016, 09:47:38 PM »
Keep up everybody!

Ate only 1 bag of pretzels this week :) the emergency carrots helped. It is the crunch factor i need. Plus the saltiness, but that has to go. Actually, i realize now that this pretzel habit is a replacement of the chips habit i used to have. At least a bit lower in fat but still bad. I tried popcorn, but didn't react well to it. I might try to pop some in a brown bag in the office microwawe, but i think i'll have to establish a carrot habit instead. eating-wise wednesday was the best so far this week.

I still hate myself for getting this fat.

Stressful times are coming at work, so i have to plan for that. I Always eat when stressed. At least the kids finally sleep through the night and are less annoying on a daily basis, so there is no stress factor at home.

Lurker here.

Salty snacks are my weakness. I eat a lot of carrots with humus.  By themselves carrots are lovely but sweet, humus ups the salty/ savory and works for me while still being low calorie and actually full of things my body needs.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #417 on: April 14, 2016, 08:03:09 AM »
Today, with various stressors and availability of junk food, I fell face-first into a pile of chocolate-covered peanut butter cups and then a pile of chocolate cake. BUT -- with my new reduced snacking and eating habits, and a slightly increased ability to rein myself in and not overdo on the delicious treats, I still stayed within my calorie goal for the day. So I'm feeling pretty good about that.

Of course, tomorrow is another day. The peanut butter cups are still there.

At least I've managed to avoid the chips bin for weeks now. I've gotten into the habit of a midmorning snack of plain yogurt sweetened with stevia and vanilla powder.

Habits really work, yo.

That's AWESOME that you still stayed within your calories. Maybe next time, just fit a couple of them into your calories and then add some fresh fruit or veggies as snacks. It helped when I was consciously trying to increase my fruits and veggies (rather than decrease treats). Mindset was different.

That said, I am STILL trying to get my brain the accept that fruits are SO GOOD and should be considered wonderful, decadent treats. They really are - so it's terrible that I can only accept treats to be stuff like ice cream, cookies, and cake. Maybe I need to get a Japanese attitude....look how expensive beautiful fruit are!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #418 on: April 14, 2016, 08:37:22 AM »
I need to get my head out of the sand and join you folks.  You are making progress and are so helping each other.  It is time to stop pretending that my volume is not increasing.
I just got off the scale.  I weighed 138 pounds.  I am 5'-5.  I don`t look particularly fat but I weigh 24 pounds more than I did six months after my second child.  She turned 12 today and I am feeling like I got to get this under control.  If I continue to gain 2 pounds a year for the rest of my life, my hips and knees won`t be able to carry me.  I don`t think I was a healthy weight when I got married (104lbs) or even after my first born (107lbs).  Too skinny.  But now - I have tummy flap.  I am more muscular from doing some physical work.  I think I would be healthy and strong at 120 pounds. 
I am celiac and when I finally got diagnosed at 25 I weighed 98 lbs and could barely function.  I got colds all the time. 
I don`t get sick as often now and I can do real work that makes me feel great.  I think I feel that because there is so much I can`t eat, I eat lots of what I can.  I cut out soft drinks after Christmas and haven`t seen much of a change in shape but I have been too afraid to get on the scale for two years now.
My body shape is affecting my life.  Time to do something about it.  Reading the thread has given me the courage to join in.  Thank you

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #419 on: April 14, 2016, 09:30:41 AM »
That's AWESOME that you still stayed within your calories. Maybe next time, just fit a couple of them into your calories and then add some fresh fruit or veggies as snacks. It helped when I was consciously trying to increase my fruits and veggies (rather than decrease treats). Mindset was different.

That said, I am STILL trying to get my brain the accept that fruits are SO GOOD and should be considered wonderful, decadent treats. They really are - so it's terrible that I can only accept treats to be stuff like ice cream, cookies, and cake. Maybe I need to get a Japanese attitude....look how expensive beautiful fruit are!

Yeah, yesterday was an especially cravy day for some reason. A confluence of stressors. I do try to keep berries and carrot sticks at work. Sometimes I even actually eat them. :D

I consider processed sugar to be an addictive substance, which explains why desserts appeal more than fruit. There are days when the addiction is a bigger struggle than others. Mostly what I try to do is give myself permission to really indulge from time to time, but refuse to feel guilty or bad about it. I made that choice; I own it. Tomorrow is a new day for new choices.

I need to get my head out of the sand and join you folks.  You are making progress and are so helping each other.  It is time to stop pretending that my volume is not increasing.
I just got off the scale.  I weighed 138 pounds.  I am 5'-5.  I don`t look particularly fat but I weigh 24 pounds more than I did six months after my second child.  She turned 12 today and I am feeling like I got to get this under control.  If I continue to gain 2 pounds a year for the rest of my life, my hips and knees won`t be able to carry me.  I don`t think I was a healthy weight when I got married (104lbs) or even after my first born (107lbs).  Too skinny.  But now - I have tummy flap.  I am more muscular from doing some physical work.  I think I would be healthy and strong at 120 pounds. 
I am celiac and when I finally got diagnosed at 25 I weighed 98 lbs and could barely function.  I got colds all the time. 
I don`t get sick as often now and I can do real work that makes me feel great.  I think I feel that because there is so much I can`t eat, I eat lots of what I can.  I cut out soft drinks after Christmas and haven`t seen much of a change in shape but I have been too afraid to get on the scale for two years now.
My body shape is affecting my life.  Time to do something about it.  Reading the thread has given me the courage to join in.  Thank you

Best of luck to you, Frugal Lizard. This is hard work. Funny how sharing it with other people makes it just a little easier.

It took me a long time and a lot of different strategies to hit on one that works for me, and even that works only intermittently. I hope you find an approach that works well for you.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #420 on: April 14, 2016, 11:09:14 AM »
Well, today was a fail and it is only lunch time.  I was doing so good avoiding the dessert table and it got me today and I ate it all. LOL.  However, I will try and have a lighter dinner.  The problem is once I start this way, there is no stopping.  But, I will try and hold out tonight. 

RedmondStash - talk about falling face first in a piece of chocolate cake(that was funny btw) and then following up with another fruit looking thing. :)   It was so good. I do love fruit but why cant they taste THAT good. :)  At least there was some fruit in the second one.  hahahaha

I am exercising tonight so I will burn some of it off. 

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #421 on: April 14, 2016, 11:37:51 AM »
I'm back to make you all feel better about yourselves!!!

Yeah, that whole, "I'm going to keep my eating within reason while I'm partying with my girlfriends all weekend in Austin which has amazing food" plan that I had? Totally failed. Literally got to the hotel room to meet up with the two of them, and they were already shoving snickerdoodles in my face and plotting about what we were going to eat. The only upshot is that we shared dishes the whole time we were there, but I still ate WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much food. Here's a list, if you're into that sort of thing!

Friday:
- Breakfast: Free breakfast at the hotel, which was oatmeal, bacon, and fruit (seriously, where were the eggs?).
- Lunch: Torchy's Tacos, where we shared queso and chips (that had guacamole in it, too!) and three tacos, two breakfast and one jerk chicken. Delish.
- Cocktails: a Paloma
- Dinner: Shake Shack. Shack Burger, choclate marshmallow custard, and cheese fries. And a pitcher of beer (shared!).
- Dessert/Second Dinner: Wine, beer, and more snickerdoodles. And great BBQ pork tacos from the hotel bar.

Saturday:
- Breakfast: Free breakfast at the hotel, which was much better. Breakfast tacos. Loaded.
- Lunch: Pizza place called North. We shared a white pizza with all kinds of yummy veggies, a beet salad, and a pitcher of Sangria.
- Dessert: Cake Ball. Shut the front door. We shared a peach cobbler a la mode and a bottle of champagne with our Mimosa flight. And ordered a half dozen cake balls to go.
- Dinner: There was lots of beer, and I think we ate at two places, both of which are owned by Top Chef winner Paul Qui. However, we were unaware of that until after the fact. Just amazing. We had Pork Belly buns (my new death row meal), deep fried peanut butter curry buns, sisig (crispy pig's head over rice with a fried egg), kare kare (a Filipino peanut curry), and a pork and fried shrimp lumpia taco.
- Dessert: (what?!) Cake balls. We ate all but one.

Sunday:
- Brunch from Heaven! We went back to Cake Ball, because we had looked at the menu the day before. 2 orders of Mimosas this time. Then the following: honey dipped fried chicken and biscuits with jalapeno bacon gravy; creme brulee french toast; and the southwest benedict which had pulled pork, ancho chile sauce, chipotle hollandaise, and honey sriracha roasted sweet potatoes. I did not eat for the rest of the day.

So there you go everyone! But I got back home last night and I am back on the train today. You can bet your ass I am chugging water like a fiend and will not be weighing myself until Monday. All my pants still fit though, so maybe I didn't do too much damage? HA!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #422 on: April 14, 2016, 01:38:19 PM »

Glad you are on the healthy train! I can only imagine how tough it is to deal with celiac. Good for you for taking control.

I also gave up soda in Dec. I did notice a small drop in weight, about 1-2 pounds in 6 weeks. However, longer term I think it is helping redefine what is sweet. Which helps with sweets cravings! Not all victories are pounds lost.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #423 on: April 14, 2016, 01:51:52 PM »
Sorry I can't keep up with this huge thread.  I do the low carb Thing and have lost around 15lb since we started.  I don't really have a weight goal, but I still want to lose some waist so The majority of my pants fit well again.  (Refined) Carbs are really my weakness and I just do better avoiding them altogether-- it's a lot easier to be strict and say no when I would be throwing away a month long streak (vs just trying to reduce intake).  I don't limit my vegetable/salad intake, and have started to allow cheat times for special occasions (no more than monthly)

NeverLost

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #424 on: April 14, 2016, 02:16:30 PM »
Hello everyone, I hope you don't mind me joining so late!  I am hoping to lose around 10 lbs.  I am 5'1 and spent my early 20s weighing around 105 or so.  After I had my son, my weight remained around 115 and over the last 6 months or so I've crept up to 120.  I think a good weight for me is 110, so that's my goal.  I think the biggest problem I have is that I am generally a really healthy eater to begin with so it's hard to make changes that will make a big difference without a full fledged diet, which I'm trying to avoid.  I also am very busy right now with working/picking up my kids/homework/after school activities so I find it hard to fit in much exercise.  Since the weather is getting nicer though I am anxious to go bike riding with my kids and other outdoor activities.  Currently my plan is:

Meal plan my breakfasts/lunches/snacks - I generally only was meal planning dinner and would just take leftovers or whatever was hanging around for myself for lunch
Drinking only 1 cup of coffee a day - Ok, so it's a big one but it's one nonetheless
Drinking a min of 3 of my 32 oz Nalgene bottles of water/day - I usually drink 2 so this will be tough
The only alcoholic bevs I'm allowed are red wine and vodka/soda water - I love me a good microbrew...

I am hoping that just making these changes I will be able to lose maybe 1-1.5lbs/week, which would be great :)

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #425 on: April 14, 2016, 02:33:22 PM »
@Frugal Lizard Good for you for taking steps to fix this now before it gets too far. Come on in and join us on this crazy journey.  There's something about coming on here to post that keeps me going. I let my weight creep on very very gradually over 15 years. I blinked and I was shocked to find myself with an extra 35 pounds!

@alleykat It's so easy to get down in the dumps about yourself, isn't it? Try for that lighter dinner tonight and then just move on. (soooo much easier said than done, I KNOW!). Tomorrow is another day and we have no deadlines in sight. You'll get to the finish line when you get there, even if it means a little while later.

@dragoncar good to see you hanging around :) So glad the low carb thing is working out so well for you. Lik you said, long term success will involve figuring out a plan for life events.

@Microspice Vacation calories don't count - especially in a place like Austin :) Don't worry, it will drop once you get back to normal eating.

@TealBlue WELCOME!! I wonder, with you having so very little to lose, would it be better to give yourself a smaller goal like 0.5 lbs a week? Especially since your margin for error is so small? Your goal of 1 to 1.5 lbs a week sounds rather aggressive.

NeverLost

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #426 on: April 14, 2016, 02:50:08 PM »
Yeah, I wonder that too elaine amj.  I'm not gonna lie, I have some motivation with summer being so close and we spend a ton of time at the lake, but at the same time I am not making super drastic changes so I want to be realistic too.  I think I will try my strategy for a week or two, see what happens, then reevaluate. 

Breakfasts-  I wonder what savory breakfast recipes you all have found and liked?  I don't have a sweet tooth at all so eggs are my go-to but I'd like some different options.  I generally either saute some greens then scramble in an egg or just do a cheese omelette with hot sauce.  I have made the crustless quiches that I froze before but I did that fairly recently and am sick of them.

Sorry if that's already been covered, this thread was a bit long to read the entire thing!!

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #427 on: April 15, 2016, 06:28:05 AM »
Hi Everyone! Full disclosure here. It's been a rough, rough week. I have fallen off the sugar wagon, and I mean HARD. I had some sort of sugary, uber-processed dessert/snack type thing almost every day while at work. Also, I have been going overboard in general on the consumption end of things. The good news (if there is any) is that I tracked everything, so I am fully aware of what I've done to myself this week.

That being said, here are the numbers. I'm up 1.6 lbs this week. Considering that I overate by almost a full day's worth of calories yesterday, I'll consider that a small victory. The good news is that I just started some new medication, and while it's going to take awhile to work, it should help with the amount of stress that I've been experiencing. I tried fixing my problems myself, and realized that I was making some progress but really needed help. Better living through chemistry!

I am also working on breaking the cycle of self-flagellation when it comes to 'messing up.' In the past, I would go on a downward spiral of guilt and shame. Now, I'm focusing on refraining from judgment and taking it how it is. That is going to be monumental for me!

I'm glad to see that everyone here is continuing to make strides on their own journeys. Keep on keeping on everyone! We will do this together!

Stats:
1/01/2016: 182.8
4/08/2016: 155.2
4/15/2016: 156.8

Total loss: 26.2
Goal: 140

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #428 on: April 15, 2016, 08:32:58 AM »
You are not alone, Geostache.  I do allow myself to have a piece of chocolate at night, just a piece, or something else but yesterday, I allowed myself to overdo it with dessert at work and the whole night was messed up.  I finally "get" it goes straight to my hips quote now. I thought it was just a saying, but now I know it is real.  I never ever had this problem.  Now, my few lbs lost are now found. That is okay though, I am not giving up. As long as I keep at it, it will eventually come off.  I just need to keep in mind, I didn't gain it overnight and allow myself the time and patience to lose it.  Easier said then done, I know.

And you are still in the "positive.'  Wow, 26 lb loss is pretty good. Keep up the good work.  I am starting at the same weight 156 and my goal is also 140.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #429 on: April 15, 2016, 08:35:57 AM »
I am also working on breaking the cycle of self-flagellation when it comes to 'messing up.' In the past, I would go on a downward spiral of guilt and shame. Now, I'm focusing on refraining from judgment and taking it how it is. That is going to be monumental for me!

That is huge, Geostache. I honestly believe that's half the battle. Because if you stress-eat, and then you feel shame and guilt, well, that's more stress, and then you just want to eat more to take the edge off those feelings. I try to be really forgiving of myself when I make a choice I don't like, and I try to own it: "Yep, I damn well did that, I chose it, I chose the consequences, and that's okay. It doesn't dictate the rest of my life. Tomorrow is another day."

Best of luck, and I'm sorry you've been struggling.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #430 on: April 15, 2016, 08:39:22 AM »
Thank you for the encouragement.  I love how people are being supportive and honest.  This is a safe place.

First change to get me to my goal:
Keeping a food journal. 
I am going to try and write down everything I eat. Hiding it from my family so that I can be totally honest without worrying about their judgement.  A couple of years ago I tried to loose some weight and was using the journal and my kids were monitoring it.  My husband had made a comment about a skirt not fitting and the kids heard and then everyone got on my case.  My daughter was learning to read and read everything so I quit keeping track and stuck my head in the sand - and increased another 10 pounds.
So I am going to be secretive from them but honest with myself.
While I was looking for a snack yesterday - I realized if I eat that I will have to write it down.  Altered the way I ate all day yesterday.  And for breakfast this morning.  My tummy is growling as I type and I am thinking about what I shall snack on that I will be happy to write down.

Anyone read the book "Thin by Design"?  Making some of those changes to my kitchen - although at the moment we are in a small renovation stage so I can't fully implement them quite yet.  It helped me quit the-can-of-coke habit.  And I think my fruit consumption has gone down because it is not prominently displayed in the kitchen.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #431 on: April 15, 2016, 08:47:42 AM »
@TealBlue - welcome and I will be watching your posts! I'm in a very similar situation with healthy eating but fighting post baby weight creep. I was going to cut back on drinks in general but I think I like your way better (wine instead of beer). We are big beer drinkers and it is doing me no favors in my mid thirties.

@FrugalLizard - "Thin by Design" looks interesting - will see if my library has it. Thanks for the rec.

@microspice - I want all of that food you listed! Vacation food is the best.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #432 on: April 15, 2016, 08:58:02 AM »
You are not alone, Geostache.  I do allow myself to have a piece of chocolate at night, just a piece, or something else but yesterday, I allowed myself to overdo it with dessert at work and the whole night was messed up.  I finally "get" it goes straight to my hips quote now. I thought it was just a saying, but now I know it is real.  I never ever had this problem.  Now, my few lbs lost are now found. That is okay though, I am not giving up. As long as I keep at it, it will eventually come off.  I just need to keep in mind, I didn't gain it overnight and allow myself the time and patience to lose it.  Easier said then done, I know.

And you are still in the "positive.'  Wow, 26 lb loss is pretty good. Keep up the good work.  I am starting at the same weight 156 and my goal is also 140.

Thanks, @alleykat. I am often surprised at how fast the mentality changes from "I'm having this one thing" to "Oh well. I ate that one thing. Might as well keep going!" It happens far less for me now than it used to. Tracking has really helped with that. You're right about it not coming off overnight, but slow and steady will do the trick for sure! 

That is huge, Geostache. I honestly believe that's half the battle. Because if you stress-eat, and then you feel shame and guilt, well, that's more stress, and then you just want to eat more to take the edge off those feelings. I try to be really forgiving of myself when I make a choice I don't like, and I try to own it: "Yep, I damn well did that, I chose it, I chose the consequences, and that's okay. It doesn't dictate the rest of my life. Tomorrow is another day."

Thanks, @Redmondstash. I'm kind of hoping that some of it was hormonal (TMI, sorry!). The rest I really have to own. I didn't have to give into the emotional urges to stuff my face with crap, I chose to.

NeverLost

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #433 on: April 15, 2016, 10:15:20 AM »
Frugal Lizard - I am sorry you find it hard to share your weight loss with your family.  I think I probably would to, since I know my kids would be watching and questioning (innocently) what I ate and it would be hard to not feel guilt.  I don't think it'd be a motivator for me.   I haven't really told my family I am losing weight, which is easy since I'm not technically "dieting", but I am sure there will be questions the first time we go out to eat or something!

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #434 on: April 15, 2016, 02:23:12 PM »

I like this. Own it, accept it, move on.

I had a hard time with my downward spiral too. Each day I kept trying to start again but it ended up becoming a whole week's worth of binging. For me, getting back on track has meant going through the 1-2 weeks of hunger pangs all over again. It's OK. I got through it before and I have been getting through it again. I just keep reminding myself that when I was "in the zone", it was surprisingly easy and I was rarely hungry. Those days will come again and each day I can feel the hunger easing up.

@Geostache You're going to get on track again. Kudos to you for continuing to log through the hump.

@Frugal Lizard It's a hard balance with family, isn't it? My (old enough to know better) kids like to make fun of my jiggly belly. On the good side, they've been awesome since I have started seriously losing weight. My DD likes to chill on the couch while I work out and correct my form. If keeping quiet about it works for you, then I would go with it. I'm so glad logging what you eat has really pushed you to think about your choices!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #435 on: April 15, 2016, 06:44:24 PM »
I am going to try and write down everything I eat. Hiding it from my family so that I can be totally honest without worrying about their judgement.  A couple of years ago I tried to loose some weight and was using the journal and my kids were monitoring it.  My husband had made a comment about a skirt not fitting and the kids heard and then everyone got on my case. 

It's hard, because they think they are being supportive by making comments, but it's really sabatoging, not supportive.  My husband is the same way.  I have told him he is not allowed to ask me what I ate for lunch, since he always has some kind of comment.  He still asks, but I give him the icy stare (when I remember).

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #436 on: April 15, 2016, 08:47:21 PM »
Thanks, @Redmondstash. I'm kind of hoping that some of it was hormonal (TMI, sorry!). The rest I really have to own. I didn't have to give into the emotional urges to stuff my face with crap, I chose to.

Yep, and that's okay. That's fine.

Something that helps me with this, especially bingeing, is knowing that it's addictive behavior, which means there is a HUGE internal discomfort that pushes me to keep going once I start. Yeah, willpower has something to do with it, but when I sit back and observe just how powerful and uncomfortable the cravings are, and how I'm trying to alleviate a really terrible feeling inside, it helps me be kind to myself about it.

I won't win every battle. It gets really frustrating, but reminding myself that this is hard, serious work helps me remember that I am a total badass for any good choices I make. :)

The key for me is big positive self-talk for accomplishments, and sympathetic kindness instead of guilt for things I wish I had done differently.

Good luck to us all!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #437 on: April 16, 2016, 08:09:41 AM »
I did really well last night.  It was a beautiful spring day and our front porch is perfect for early evening sitting.  A bunch of neighbours showed up with junk food.  It was 5:30pm.  It is our neighbourhood ritual - byob and snack and gather outside so nobody has to clean.  I made homemade lemonade that was a great kind of tart - one glass.  I did not eat the chips, pretzels, cheese or crackers. I ate the cantaloupe. I brought out a cup of peanuts and didn't eat too many - shared them with the 7 other people plus kids.  Then at 7, I made a salad with a tiny bit of feta and some chopped left over turkey from dinner a couple of nights ago.  Dressed it with my own not very sweet vinaigrette and didn't eat again all night.
I woke up hungry at 5:48am but felt so happy about getting through happy hour without busting my program.  I ate a whole delicious wonderful grapefruit with some potatoes this morning and am feeling fine.  Gonna have a protein snack and hit the grocery store on a full stomach. 
How often do you folks hop on the scales?  I would like to shift to eating well as opposed to dieting and I am not sure if scale watching will help or hinder that.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #438 on: April 16, 2016, 09:08:32 AM »
Quote from: Frugal Lizard link=topic=48873.msg1053286#msg1053286
How often do you folks hop on the scales?  I would like to shift to eating well as opposed to dieting and I am not sure if scale watching will help or hinder that.

I do it once a week, give or take. Sometimes I'll take a peek in between if I'm curious.

And today's the day.

3/12: 162.6
3/19: 161.8
3/26: 159.6
4/2: 160.2
4/9: 158.4
4/16: 158.4

It's odd. I did really well about food choices and keeping within calorie counts last week, and I've been slowly building up exercise too. Previous experience has taught me that a baseline level of exercise is useful for weight loss; it's not proportional calorie-wise, but I have to be doing some. Otherwise, I stop losing weight.

I can feel my pants and shirts fitting better. So I'm surprised the scale thinks nothing happened last week. Bodies are weird.

I'm really pleased that I've gotten back into the swing and that, over time, the numbers are dropping lower. The biggest battle for me is logging and keeping to a healthier eating pattern; I really struggled with that for a couple of years, but I'm back on track. I know the weight loss will follow in time.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 11:27:14 AM by RedmondStash »

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #439 on: April 16, 2016, 10:11:51 AM »
@oneday LOVE the icy stare!!! (and good luck to remembering!)

@Frugal Lizard: GREAT job on resisting temptation during your neighborhood happy hour!! I find social eating the most challenging.

On the logging weight side, you have to find what works for you. I log daily and use trendweight to average it out. I find it helps me to understand the daily ups and downs and I get a better sense of my actual average weight. Plus, I don't freak out when the scale is a little high. A lot of times it is excess sodium or water weight or TOM. I have found that I hold rather steady with more ups than downs throughout the week and then about once a week, have a sharp loss.

I measure about 1x a month or so. For me, it feels like it takes forever to lose inches so I prefer the scale for more constant feedback.  I'm considering switching my weigh in on here to Thursday or Friday since that is usually when I log my lowest weights. On the Monday weigh-ins, I usually spike an extra pound or so from excess sodium on the weekends.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #440 on: April 18, 2016, 06:11:57 AM »
Thanks for the feedback on scale watching.  Survived a family multi-person birthday party.  Was doing great until the gluten free cake was served.  Found myself sitting at a table full of appetizers but was smart enough to move to the patio after I realized I snarfulling up fancy cheese, guacamole, and charcuterie.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #441 on: April 18, 2016, 07:37:04 AM »
@Frugal Lizard: Way to keep control in your neighborhood social hour. I find it's easy to slip into old eating habits when being social. I think it's something to do with not being mindful of my environment. That's huge!

I weigh every day like @Elaine amj. I find it's useful feedback, and to help keep me honest. Especially when I give in to emotional eating like I did last week.

@RedmondStash: Keep paying attention to the way your clothes are fitting. If you are exercising more, you're likely building muscle, which weighs more than fat. But, muscle is also leaner, so your clothes will be telling you the story that the scale may or may not!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #442 on: April 18, 2016, 08:00:06 AM »
My week started off quite good, then crashed pretty hard. I've been focusing on other important things lately and not tracking calories. I even convinced myself I could buy some potato chips and crackers and just eat a few eat day. Nope. I'm not sure how I ever convinced myself it was possible! I'm still continuing the upward trend this week, but I've only gained back 3 pounds and I know that once life settles down in the next week or two I can lose them again pretty quickly.

Loving the advice and conversations in this thread.

Monday check in:

Jan 4 Starting weight: 160
Jan 11 weight: 156
Jan 18 weight: 155.2
Jan 25 weight: 156.8
Feb 1 weight: 155.2
Feb 8 weight: 153.2
Feb 15 weight: 151.6
Feb 22 weight 152.6
Feb 29 weight 152.2
Mar 7 weight 149.4
Mar 14 weight 149.4
Mar 21 weight 149.6
Mar 28 weight 149.2
Apr 4 weight 151.2
Apr 11 weight 151.4
Apr 18 weight 152.0
Goal weight: 130

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #443 on: April 18, 2016, 08:31:53 AM »
My week started off quite good, then crashed pretty hard. I've been focusing on other important things lately and not tracking calories. I even convinced myself I could buy some potato chips and crackers and just eat a few eat day. Nope. I'm not sure how I ever convinced myself it was possible! I'm still continuing the upward trend this week, but I've only gained back 3 pounds and I know that once life settles down in the next week or two I can lose them again pretty quickly.

It's amazing the way your brain tries to trick you, isn't it? Like a wheedling toddler. Sometimes you're so exhausted from fighting that you just give in.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #444 on: April 18, 2016, 09:04:01 AM »

It's amazing the way your brain tries to trick you, isn't it? Like a wheedling toddler. Sometimes you're so exhausted from fighting that you just give in.

Exactly! I wasn't even hungry at the grocery store. I could almost see the little devil on one shoulder and the little angel on my other shoulder arguing about it at the time, and I still gave in. lol

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #445 on: April 18, 2016, 03:03:44 PM »
Jan 4 - 154 lbs
Jan 11 - 153.2 lbs
Jan 18 - 149.2lbs
Jan 25 - 149.2lbs
Feb 1 - 146.6lbs
Feb 8 - 144.8lbs
Feb 15 - 143lbs
Feb 22 - 141.2lbs
Feb 29 - 143 lbs
Mar 7 - 138.2 lbs
Mar 14 - VACATION
Mar 21 - 140.2 lbs
Mar 28 - 137.8 lbs
April 4 - 138.4 lbs
April 11 - 137.4 lbs
April 18  136.2 lbs

GOAL WEIGHT - 130lbs

Total: 17.8 lbs

Last week went reasonably well. Ended the week with an extra 390 uneaten calories AFTER I baked a bread pudding...and ate it. So I promptly went out for a gigantic honey garlic chicken wings lunch today. Still have leftovers in the fridge for tomorrow. A bit scary so I better be really good otherwise to make up for it. I did try...this morning I cut myself back to a tiny breakfast of 3 clementines. Will have to do the same tomorrow.

I'm getting impatient to see the scale go down. Need to go back to the whole slow and steady thing and remember that for my body, it's normal to hover around the same weight for a week and then drop.

Was talking to my friend yesterday who is on one of those 45-day diets that are medically supervised. She said they are told that if the scale doesn't budge for 3 days, they are on a "plateau" and have to drop to just 500-600 cals for a day. Dinner is a 3oz steak and a side (can't remember what side). CRAZY! (but she didn't ask my opinion so I kept my mouth shut). She has done this before, lost a bunch of weight, and gained 2/3 of it back. She's back on it again and says she will likely do 2 rounds of it this time.

I'm glad I chose the MFP route. I'm losing weight a little slower, but it's coming off. And its definitely easier to handle the day to day stuff. I can't even imagine the discipline it's taking for her to do this for 45 days. It's super strict and very regimented.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #446 on: April 18, 2016, 05:49:59 PM »
Jan 4 - 154 lbs
Jan 11 - 153.2 lbs
Jan 18 - 149.2lbs
Jan 25 - 149.2lbs
Feb 1 - 146.6lbs
Feb 8 - 144.8lbs
Feb 15 - 143lbs
Feb 22 - 141.2lbs
Feb 29 - 143 lbs
Mar 7 - 138.2 lbs
Mar 14 - VACATION
Mar 21 - 140.2 lbs
Mar 28 - 137.8 lbs
April 4 - 138.4 lbs
April 11 - 137.4 lbs
April 18  136.2 lbs

GOAL WEIGHT - 130lbs

Total: 17.8 lbs

Last week went reasonably well. Ended the week with an extra 390 uneaten calories AFTER I baked a bread pudding...and ate it. So I promptly went out for a gigantic honey garlic chicken wings lunch today. Still have leftovers in the fridge for tomorrow. A bit scary so I better be really good otherwise to make up for it. I did try...this morning I cut myself back to a tiny breakfast of 3 clementines. Will have to do the same tomorrow.

I'm getting impatient to see the scale go down. Need to go back to the whole slow and steady thing and remember that for my body, it's normal to hover around the same weight for a week and then drop.

Was talking to my friend yesterday who is on one of those 45-day diets that are medically supervised. She said they are told that if the scale doesn't budge for 3 days, they are on a "plateau" and have to drop to just 500-600 cals for a day. Dinner is a 3oz steak and a side (can't remember what side). CRAZY! (but she didn't ask my opinion so I kept my mouth shut). She has done this before, lost a bunch of weight, and gained 2/3 of it back. She's back on it again and says she will likely do 2 rounds of it this time.

I'm glad I chose the MFP route. I'm losing weight a little slower, but it's coming off. And its definitely easier to handle the day to day stuff. I can't even imagine the discipline it's taking for her to do this for 45 days. It's super strict and very regimented.

Well done, Elaine! I think of slow weight loss as stealth weight loss -- not alerting your body so it doesn't sound the klaxons and turn the metabolism waaaaay down and the cravings waaaay up. :)

About 7 years ago, I lost 15 pounds and kept 10 of it off until about a year and a half ago, when it all came back. >:( I try to focus less on what the scale says and more on establishing better habits, as much as possible. That, and tricking my body into not realizing what's going on. Of course, I didn't make it all the way to my goal back then, which was closer to 30 pounds less.

This thread has been really helpful for me for finding inspiration and staying on track. So thanks, all.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #447 on: April 19, 2016, 05:50:34 AM »
Wow Elaine - great work

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #448 on: April 19, 2016, 11:05:06 AM »
Way to go, Elaine! You're making great progress. It will slow down as you approach the ideal weight for your body, but you're still going in the right direction!

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #449 on: April 19, 2016, 06:42:05 PM »
At work today. So many doughnuts. Boxes and boxes of them.

I had half a doughnut in the morning, and another half in the afternoon, which is frankly a whole doughnut more than I wanted or expected to. But I still ate reasonably the rest of the day, thank goodness.

Several months back, when I was struggling to get back on track, it all looked hopeless. I'm getting older, my metabolism is slowing down, and I didn't think I could eat comfortably at the level I was at when I lost weight previously, let alone eat even less now.

But I've discovered over the past several weeks that it really is possible. I can eat less and not starve or spend all my time craving goodies. I don't feel deprived or resentful.

I think half the battle is believing that the battle can be won.