Author Topic: Losing weight in 2015  (Read 80715 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: Losing weight in 2015
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2015, 12:14:32 AM »
2.5kg down over the last three weeks. Feeling pretty happy about this!

Haven't lost weight since this post, but very happy to be holding steady at SW (starting weight) - 2.5kg. Hoping for at least a small loss this week.

Bookworm

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2015, 12:53:25 PM »
I'm getting in late, but I'm in. I'd like to lose about 17-20 pounds, but I'd like even more to reduce body fat and gain muscle tone, so the number on the scale isn't as important to me as general fitness, body composition, and being able to fit into the 90% of my clothes that I can't currently wear.

Holy moly, this was easier (effortless, really) before middle age! My body has suddenly learned to get all "mustachian" with its [calorie] savings rate, as if I am in danger of stopping eating at some point and having to live off a 4% SWR from my blubber for the rest of my life. And, if I'm not just crazy and imagining things, I think my appetite has actually increased at the same time.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2015, 08:43:22 PM »
Keep in mind if you are exercising as part of your "weight loss" plan you may be building muscle which weighs more than fat. So you can gain weight or stay the same and actually we getting rid of fat.

If I want to know how I am doing with fat vs.muscle I just measure my waist line.....being a guy that's the main area I store fat.

-- Vik

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2015, 08:49:34 PM »
Down 2.9kg since 12 Jan. Slooooow and steady.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2015, 01:30:04 PM »
Late to the party but I did start about Jan 20th. I weighed in at 233 lbs and I'm already down to 228 lbs. I'm trying to get down under 200 lbs by end of May. I've been hitting the gym every day but missed 3 days around the Super bowl. I bumped up my protein intake so I don't lose too much muscle and tracking both food/exercise on myfitnesspal app.

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2015, 02:11:53 AM »
Late to the party but I did start about Jan 20th. I weighed in at 233 lbs and I'm already down to 228 lbs. I'm trying to get down under 200 lbs by end of May. I've been hitting the gym every day but missed 3 days around the Super bowl. I bumped up my protein intake so I don't lose too much muscle and tracking both food/exercise on myfitnesspal app.

Good work - 5 lbs in less than a month is great progress. I'm sitting at about -10 or -15 lbs since I started my time in Africa in November. I've gained a couple back in the last couple weeks as I'm approaching Lent. I always do this - I plan to give something up and then binge on it a good deal before I drop it. In this case, I'm talking about soda.

I'll get my downward progress going again this week (Lent starts Wednesday).

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2015, 09:00:45 PM »

Good work - 5 lbs in less than a month is great progress. I'm sitting at about -10 or -15 lbs since I started my time in Africa in November. I've gained a couple back in the last couple weeks as I'm approaching Lent. I always do this - I plan to give something up and then binge on it a good deal before I drop it. In this case, I'm talking about soda.

I'll get my downward progress going again this week (Lent starts Wednesday).

Thanks! I've been really good with my food options but I would be making a lot more progress if I cut out the alcohol. I've cut it down a lot but still need to do a better job.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2015, 09:23:34 PM »
In the past when I would try to lose weight I would just do more cardio and eat more healthy. This time around I'm really trying to take a mathematical approach to the weight loss. I'm tracking food intake and daily workouts but I'm trying to learn more about the nutritional value of food and timing of food intake/meal planning. Does anyone have some good websites for this? I'm mostly looking for a guide to cut weight with the least amount of muscle loss.

The things I try to do now:
- Half scoop of whey when I first wakeup
- Consume most of my carbs for breakfast
- Workout between 10-12 (10min warm up on elliptical, lift weights, then do another 20-40mins of cardio...rowing, walking, cycle, swim, elliptical)
- Half scoop of whey with lunch after my workout
- Sometimes after dinner I'll walk of cycle for another 20-40mins
- Protein snack before going to bed
- Most days I'm below 2200 calorie intake
Does this sound like a good plan?

PatStab

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2015, 09:51:31 PM »
This is only my second serious weight loss ever.  Over 15 years ago I had gotten up to 215 pounds and lost 40 I kept it off for 7 years. I had to take a couple courses of prednisone and gained weight and couldn't get it off, but didn't try hard.  I was around 195, but then last November I weighed almost 200.  I am 5'8" tall and will be 69.  But the big issue is I have very bad, flat feet, I got really concerned about continuing to walk in my old age.  Also I was hypoglycemic and was concerned about diabetes so decided it was past time.

In 2 months I lost 20 pounds.  I did the BMI calculator for weight, height, and age.  It stated I could only eat 1100 to 1300 calories per day to lose from 1.5 to 2 pounds a week. I did not try and lose more as I don't want to lose muscle.

I stopped eating processed foods plus no beef or pork.  I ate vegetables, fruits, rice, chicken, fish and eggs even had a DQ small cone some weekends.  Also ate good one day a week to stave off the starvation mode, but not indulge, kept the calories within reason.  Everything is sautéed, boiled, or baked.  Yep, I use butter, salad dressings for marinades and things like coconut oil. I drink diet sodas, something I'm trying to totally quit, so I have water, sometimes instant coffee, for a treat instant cocoa, the low calorie kind.  I check on the calories for each meal and keep a running total per day.  I did not exercise during that time.

What I have noticed is my hypoglycemia seems to be gone.  Before I would have to eat often to keep my blood sugar up and would have bouts of low blood sugar.  I worried about that more then anything, but oddly enough no issue at all.  I blame the processed foods for the problems I had.  We were in Texas for about 5 weeks so I ate mainly fish, shrimp, or crab, love it anyway.

Now my husband is home its harder.  I have gained nothing back.  I was at 178.5 this evening.  I'm cooking so have lost nothing in a week, very hard for me.  I don't crave sweets or anything like that and I really don't miss the processed stuff either. 

Today I ate less ended up with a 2 fried egg sandwich in butter this morning and for dinner a bowl of chili.  I'm also drinking more water. I have been cooking beef and things so the weight loss has stopped.  I will be more careful. I started adding treadmilling, I have my own mini gym in the basement.  treadmill, weight machine, and bench.  The feet have improved a lot.  I was wearing a 16-18 now a 14 so that's nice.  My husband also likes my weight loss.  I never made it lower then 175 before and that was with excessive exercise and starvation diet but I think I can this time as I have just changed my eating habits  Before I tried eating the same stuff just less.  I intend to get to a goal weight of 160.  I know my BMI states 150 but I think that would be impossible for me.  I'm not sure I can maintain 160.  I have no deadline, as hubby says could take a year. I hope to make a good dent on it the next 8 weeks he is gone.  A lot easier for me to lose when I just cook for DD and I.

My reasons are to look better of course, be healthier, not have high cholesterol, control hypoglycemia, and not have my feet give out on me.  Also to go further into old age healthy.  My husband is on board too.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:05:11 PM by PatStab »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2015, 05:35:10 AM »
I haven't kept close track of my weight lately, but as of yesterday, I am down to 151 pounds.  I know I was at 162.5 in early January, so I am feeling good about the progress.  Unfortunately, some of this is due to being under the weather for the last few days and barely eating.  It's just a cold, but there seems to be some nausea and lack of appetite along with it.  Oh, well.  I'm sure I will knock out the cold in the next couple of days.  And I'm happy about the weight loss.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2015, 08:50:27 AM »
Cookie78,

You said "My problem is, now that I'm trying to spend less on food, the increase in cheap carbs has gone up and my weight is creeping up."

I know what you mean.  It is cheaper to eat a lot of white flour than it is to eat more healthily and so there is an added challenge for us to manage both.  I eat fewer carbs altogether-no flours, no white rice and I include some beans, some sweet potatoes.  I have started using dried beans now which is nice and cheap.

I made a healthy cake for a friend recently and it cost about 8 times as much as a white flour and sugar cake!  All the dates, nuts, raw cacao powder add up. 

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2015, 08:53:33 AM »
Votu,

Nice accountability.  I am ashamed to say that sometimes when I commit to something and it does not happen I don't want to advertise it.  I am weighing 4-6 times a year so I don't get hung up on the ups and downs, but I think once I have lost the weight I may want to get a scale to weigh once a week.

votu

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2015, 11:01:41 AM »
Forth Week

Last Week Weight: 150.4
Current Weight: 148.6

Back on track

Votu,

Nice accountability.  I am ashamed to say that sometimes when I commit to something and it does not happen I don't want to advertise it.  I am weighing 4-6 times a year so I don't get hung up on the ups and downs, but I think once I have lost the weight I may want to get a scale to weigh once a week.

It's embarrassing, but it forces me to work harder and not let myself go.  If I let one week slide, I'll be tempted to let another week slide and before long, my weight would be back to where I started.  This way, the most I could let go is 1-2 days before the weight in catches up with me.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2015, 02:31:00 PM »
Votu,

That makes sense to me, but its not for me yet.  I suspect it will be the main way I stay trim once I reach my goal weight.

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2015, 12:23:56 PM »
Last week, 168; this week, 166.  Heading in the good direction!

MrsPotato

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2015, 02:38:06 PM »
I'm late to the party but I really want to join.

Starting weight: 158.5 lbs (sometime in January)
This week: 154.0 lbs

Trying to get back down to 135 lbs like I was three years ago.

I've started walking to and from work instead of taking the bus so that gives me 60-75 mins of walking daily. I do some weight training on weekends, and I'm getting a bike this week so I can go cycling with my husband on weekends, and possibly start cycling to work. Currently aiming to eat 1300-1500 calories per day. Hoping to make more time for weight training during the week.

Good luck everyone!!

Bookworm

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2015, 10:16:08 AM »
I'm down 3 pounds since I joined this challenge, but I think part of it is because my starting weight was taken in the afternoon, and every time since then, it's been first thing in the morning. I do think I'm probably down a little, though.

KES

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2015, 11:13:01 AM »
I'm currently doing the Whole 30 and love it. You're not supposed to weigh yourself...but...12 days in and I'm down about 7 lbs.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2015, 06:05:48 PM »
Weekly weigh in today. Down 0.3kg from last Friday, so 3.2kg down in the last 5 weeks.

Slow but steady is what I keep reminding myself. Slow but steady.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2015, 06:41:37 PM »
Im in! I would like to lose 25 lbs by the end of the year and I want to do it in a healthy way.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2015, 06:53:34 PM »
Im in! Goal is 25 lbs by fall :) biggest problem for me is portion control as I really love food. That and I need to cut the carbs, currently started reading "wheat belly".

DSKla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2015, 09:31:06 PM »
I'd like to point out the growing sentiment that gut health (bacteria) plays a huge role in weight loss and total health--moreso than people think. Not just eating the right food, but having the right flora to receive it. The old excuse that "he has a fast metabolism and I have a slow one" may in fact have merit if you changed metabolism speed to flora quality and quantity.

If you want to read more about it, this is my go-to guy. At this link you can get a free ebook on the topic, but if you don't like signing up for newsletters, you can also just search his site for articles that contain words like gut health, gut bacteria, SIBO, methylation, flora, etc. and read up.

http://my.chriskresser.com/ebook/gut-health/

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2015, 08:37:28 AM »
On track:
Started Jan 20th at 233 lbs and now 226 lbs...feeling great!

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2015, 08:59:41 AM »
Late getting here.  5'10", turning 30 this year.

1/22/2010: 229    Got down to 192 in 2010, but promptly stopped doing what worked!
2/7/2011: 213
1/2/2012: 209
1/28/2013: 219
1/8/2014: 219

1/1/2015: 202

2/19/2015: 189.6.

Not sure what the goal weight is. I haven't been below 192 since 2010, and wasn't below 190 since probably 2001 or so.

Just going to keep it up for now!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 09:06:45 AM by Nate R »

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2015, 02:31:24 PM »
I'm using MyFitnessPal on my phone to track exercise and food intake. My MIL recommended it to me a couple of years ago. My weight loss goal in MFP is 0.5kg per week.

I was 83kg on 1 Jan, now 80kg. But, I lost 3kg very fast (might have been my diuretics finally kicking in? who knows) and have been fairly stable since.

I've had a couple of weeks when work was ridiculously stressful and both my manager and I dealt with the stress with lots of comfort eating. I gave up on tracking food and exercise for that time. I was too exhausted to track food on top of the work craziness.

But, back on track now. I've set daily goals on grams of fat, protein and carbs in MyFitnessPal. I'm finding it quite hard to consistently meet my protein goal (of 10g per 10kg body weight per day) so I'm having to be more mindful of that.

Regardless of where my weight is, my upper arms seem to be gradually increasing in girth. Rather frustrating as I'm already struggling to find clothes that fit my upper arms. And no idea why, as I'm not really doing anything to bulk up the muscles there, and normally if I put on weight it goes on my waist and upper thighs.

gluskap

• Stubble
    • Money Savvy Mommy
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2015, 05:01:23 PM »
Count me in:

Current weight: 125 pounds
Goal weight: 105 pounds

Trying to lose all the pregnancy weight still after having my first baby 8.5 months ago.  I'm doing the Bikini Body Mommy Challenge which is a 90 day workout with free youtube videos.  It's a 20-30 minute workout each day with 1 day a week rest.  I'm also combining this with a low carb diet.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2015, 06:36:25 PM »
DSKia,
I hadn't given the gut bacteria and weight loss connection any thought and am thinking of taking probiotics as a test.  That is what you mean, right?  I already have some languishing in the fridge I can use. (it will tie in nicely with my de-cluttering effort!).

I am steadily losing weight.  I am not going to weigh again until next month but my clothes are getting looser and I have turfed out several things which are too big. I am enjoying sporting some clothes I have not worn in a few years.

Serious temptation last night- I ended up eating a lot of pizza at a party which is fine, but not how I wish to go on.  It was tasty, and appeared to have no cheese so I cannot say I was eating it for the protein.  Ce la vie!

On another note, I am not feeling any psychological upset over losing weight so far.  To tell you the truth no one has really noticed my weight loss yet except immediate family so I am not dealing with comments at all.  In the past I have reached a good weight and then shot back up to the original weight due to discomfort so I am being much more aware this time. Usually the feelings have set in as I get down near my goal weight.

I am really enjoying brussel sprouts with bacon and nuts lately- who knew?  Veggies taste better now that I am not eating wheat day and night.  I am also eating lots of fresh pumpkin soup I made last week.  What are y'all eating as you inch downward?

votu

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2015, 10:48:03 AM »
Fifth Week

Last Week Weight: 148.6
Current Weight: 149.0

Michread

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2015, 10:58:12 AM »
16:8 intermittent fasting
No sugar
Very low gluten
Super slow weight lifting / once week
HIIT 2-3/wk

Bookworm

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2015, 05:40:07 PM »
I've had successes so far in some areas, not so much in others.

Successes:

- I've limited alcohol consumption to one evening a week instead of two. I might drop even that, but it's an enjoyable part of having company on Tuesdays. Unfortunately, the drink I like has 45,372,991 calories in it because it's full of cream.

- I'm watching overall calories fairly well, and I've lost a pound or two.

- I committed again to working out. I went on Friday and had a very good workout.

Not so much:

- Too much sugar and starch. There are always sweets, bread, pasta dishes, potatoes, etc. around here (I'm not buying them!) and I keep eating them. Not in addition to good stuff, but instead of it.

- Coke. Damn that stuff.

- I need to find a solution to "delayed onset muscle soreness." I don't know why, but it hits me so hard! I worked out on Friday - did not push myself too hard, either - and today (Monday) is the first day I have been able to do the most basic things, like squat down to get something out of a lower cabinet, or sit down in a chair without losing control of my legs and just plopping there. The pain is still about 60% there today, and it's still intense, but I least I have muscle control. I know from experience that it will be about 80% gone tomorrow (day 4 post-workout), so I plan to work out again then...and start all over. Someone PLEASE tell me there is a technique for preventing this...pretty please? It's worse when I haven't worked out for a long time, but it never does stop. Even months from now, I'll be hobbling around if I'm still working out.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2015, 05:57:32 PM »
^^^ I know very little about recovery but a couple of people I know who do intense lunchtime workout reckon that lots of protein after their workout (eg for dinner) reduces the muscle pain the next day. Might be worth reviewing whether you're eating enough protein for the type of exercise that you do?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2015, 07:29:09 AM »
down 15 lbs since the beginning of the year hope to cross 200 in the next couple days ... for the first time in a couple years.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2015, 05:34:31 PM »
Michread,
Is there somewhere online that I can learn about the slow weight lifting?  I am very interested in it.  Do you use machines or free weights?

Usually at this time of year I want to eat a lot of carbs, and the rice in the hot tray at the deli was calling to me today very loudly.  I thought about taking it home and heating it up but managed to leave it behind.  One day at a time here.

Good luck everyone!

mjb

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2015, 09:52:13 AM »
Also late to the party, but finally decided to reverse course after a year of self-destruction.

Started Jan 19 @ 265, now down to 255 by half-assedly going back to a low-fat/high-carb/whole foods/plant-based diet.

I've been traveling a ton, so adherence fluctuates -- it's far easier to stick to any way of eating when you're cooking at home -- but I'm back at home for a few weeks and am doing great and saving a ton of money, too. If I stick to it and all goes according to my spreadsheet, I should be merely "overweight" (by BMI standards) by July.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2015, 08:59:22 PM »
I'm in...started in earnest late last week after I went for a physical and the doctor told me, for my first time ever, "You should think about losing some weight." I started at around 198 and want to get below 185. I'm 5'11" -- BMI indicates I should be at 179. I'm fine with 180-185 as a 10 day moving average weight range.

We're all different, and different modalities work for us. By far I have lost the most weight in the past during my very low fat vegan days. But I don't want to go back to that.

I had the most fun doing Paleo. But in looking at my weigh in's, combined with my lack of discipline, combined with my getting tired of eating meat....it's not for me.

I have attained the best long term success, i.e., a few years, through diligent portion control through a "quantified self" style food tracking and daily weight tracking regimen -- paying the most attention to those 10 day moving averages. It's not for everybody, but particularly now that I'm RE, it's pretty easy. And given that I'm RE, I've reached the conclusion that there is simply no excuse for me being more than five pounds overweight. So there.

I'm down nearly 2 pounds in a week. That's fine.

I did Whole 30 last October. It was kick ass. Lost 10 pounds.....and then gained them back during the next 12 weeks.

Slow and steady is best for me.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2015, 05:36:19 AM »
Just hit 199.2lbs this morning.  OH what a great feeling.  7-10 weeks away from 185/ 22.5 BMI  my goal... (then i can slowly work cheese back into my diet... Man i LOVE cheese)

Puts my BMI down to 24.2 aiming to be in the middle for BMI.  It fits my body type i'm tall and skinny without much muscle bulk so its a decent measure for me. 

Also aiming for around 12-13% BF currently at 18.5%

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2015, 07:07:02 AM »
165.5 this morning. Little progress since I last checked in, but we had a fat weekend (went out to a pizza place and Lunar New Year celebrations on the same day).

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2015, 06:23:53 PM »
Gained 0.7kg this week - no idea how!

Better be even more careful for the next few weeks to prevent backsliding too far.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2015, 08:33:29 PM »
I got on a scale today at the doctor's and have lost 9 lbs since Christmas.  That is a further 6 pounds since my January weigh in.  Tonight someone said I looked different and after a while said that my face was thinner.

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2015, 03:24:36 AM »

This is what we call "noise." Don't worry about .7kg up OR down. It is probably meaningless.

badasswizard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2015, 04:02:08 PM »
I'm joining the challenge!

I currently weigh 160 lbs and am hoping to reduce to 130 by the middle of the summer.

I've been successful losing 1-2 pounds per week in past years and then held steady at 138-145 lbs for about two years. Since the end of the summer 2014 I've gained almost 20 pounds. Argh!

What I plan to do:
+Walk at least an hour every day
+Continue Crossfit 3x a week and martial arts 3x a week
+Bike to work (10 miles round trip) at least 2x a week
+Stop eating after 8 pm. I will just drink some tea and go to bed.
+No more than one serving of sweet stuff per day; try to have this as late in the day as possible
+Eat slower so I can assess if I'm really hungry

Since I've started weight lifting, I think some of my weight gain has been muscle, but my "spare tire" has also increased dramatically.

PS. If anyone wants to know the secret to gaining 2 pounds a week, I'm happy to share my expertise. :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2015, 06:18:49 PM »

This is what we call "noise." Don't worry about .7kg up OR down. It is probably meaningless.

Yep, turns out I was retaining fluid due to drinking more milk than I could process (mildly lactose intolerant). Back to normal weight again now, hoping for another loss this week :-)

Bookworm

« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2015, 07:17:47 PM »
I'm down 4 pounds as of this morning, but I can't remember what time of the day it was when I first weighed myself and joined the challenge. I've done better than "normal" since joining this challenge. Still struggling with carb overload. No Coke for five days now, though!

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2015, 06:16:29 AM »
I think I may have lost a couple, it is so hard to tell.  Once day I am down 2, next day I am up.  However, regardless of the lbs, I have definitely toned up. I can tell the difference in my legs.  So, I am happy about that.  I have been going to the gym about 2-4 times a week and feel stronger every time I go. I push myself to higher levels. I am only doing the treadmill and am starting on the elliptical.  If I can just cut back on my junk food, I would definitely lose quite a few but it has been tough.  It is feeling great to get and feel stronger. 

votu

• Stubble
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2015, 09:03:15 AM »
Sixth Week

Last Week Weight: 149.0
Current Weight: 147.8

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2015, 10:08:22 PM »
I think I may have lost a couple, it is so hard to tell.  Once day I am down 2, next day I am up.  However, regardless of the lbs, I have definitely toned up. I can tell the difference in my legs.  So, I am happy about that.  I have been going to the gym about 2-4 times a week and feel stronger every time I go. I push myself to higher levels. I am only doing the treadmill and am starting on the elliptical.  If I can just cut back on my junk food, I would definitely lose quite a few but it has been tough.  It is feeling great to get and feel stronger.

Don't focus on the day to day variations. Instead, track weight daily in a Google Sheet, but focus on your 10 day weighted moving average.

LINK: https://drive.google.com/previewtemplate?id=0AiqPelI3OIXCdGhieGI3UGxNaVM4MWh4VnliUGd3TkE&mode=public?id=0AiqPelI3OIXCdGhieGI3UGxNaVM4MWh4VnliUGd3TkE&mode=public

The chart in the second tab will really bring it home, over time. And this excellent post on THE DATA DIET explains the WHAT and HOW.

https://medium.com/technology-liberal-arts/the-data-diet-how-i-lost-60-pounds-using-a-google-docs-spreadsheet-80adce62cf5c

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2015, 05:35:52 AM »
also you can and should track you Body fat in addition to weight.  If you're working out (which is not necessary at all to lose weight FYI - Diet is much more important)  you are gaining muscle which weighs more than fat.  So you could be building lean body mass.  Body fat can vary much more than weight on a day to day basis depending on testing method used.  but again focus on a moving avg.  My take would be focus on a month long moving avg for body fat b/c of the variations.  i use a Bioelectric impedence monitor every morning at around the same time after weighing myself.  I can drink a bunch of water and raise my BF% so i do it before i drink anything. 

queenie

• Stubble
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2015, 06:36:23 AM »
I'm going to join in.

I'm 143 lbs
Goal 125 lbs

I've been living a fat lifestyle for what seems like forever.  I had one period of working out regularly, running and eating healthy that lasted about 3 or 4 months before I ended up pregnant again and I haven't built up the energy to get back on that path yet. 

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
If you're working out (which is not necessary at all to lose weight FYI - Diet is much more important)  you are gaining muscle which weighs more than fat.

Muscle is denser than fat, but it's not a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.* A person who replaced 10 pounds of fat with 10 pounds of muscle would certainly look, feel, and be healthier but their body volume would have only decreased by ~1.5 pints.

*My old rule of thumb for motivating weight loss is that losing eight pounds is the equivalent of subtracting a gallon milk jug from my body's volume (frightening to visualize, ain't it?) Specifically, a gallon of human fat would actually weigh about 7.5 pounds while a gallon of human skeletal muscle would weigh 8.8 pounds.

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2015, 06:31:21 PM »
I'm continuing in the good direction, down about a pound a week.  Last week 165, this week 164. I'm really enjoying feeling good with eating more veggies and fruits versus everything else. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!