Author Topic: Lose weight starting TODAY!!  (Read 33051 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: Lose weight starting TODAY!!
« Reply #300 on: February 26, 2024, 10:40:15 AM »
I did great until Q4 of last year, where numerous trips, COVID, & international travel threw me way off my game. I do so well with consistency, & really struggle to get back on track.

I've gained 6 lbs since my low last year. My goal is to go back to what worked for me then - the No S diet (no Snacks, Seconds or Sweets, other than on days that start with S, and/or Special Occasions). Even on Saturday/Sunday, it should be occasional. I found it super easy to follow, once I got into the rhythm. I don't struggle with working out, and am very consistent.

So, starting off again today with my plan & hoping to check in for consistency.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #301 on: March 12, 2024, 12:02:21 PM »
Re: getting a handle on the possibility of insulin resistance (which is often very sneaky at first) and preventing it progressing to diabetes is hugely important.

If you are overweight, have PCOS or a history of it in your family, have a history of diabetes in the family, or have a diet heavy in sugar and starch (esp processed starch) it is definitely worth watching out for it.

Typical symptoms of IR (though it can be asymptomatic until it's already progressed to prediabetes or diabetes) can include:

unusual weight gain/difficulty with weight loss*; unusual hunger/fatigue/food cravings; reactive hypoglycemia (can feel like a panic attack with anxiety, high heart rate, weakness, faintness, tremor, etc.); frequent urination; brain fog; frequent infections such as yeast infections; intermittent blurry vision; mood swings; headaches; disrupted sleep (if hypo episodes occur at night); darker skin patches or skin tags.

*Weight gain associated with IR often functions like an 'accelerator'. Fat tissue is often very hormonally active on its own, so what can happen is that people have IR, which makes weight gain easier. Excess fat tissue then 'feeds back' and makes hormonal imbalance and IR worse, and the worsening IR makes more weight gain likely = 'runaway train' effect. So losing weight can often improve things. However, it sometimes difficult to lose weight until IR is directly treated.

NOTE: It's perfectly possible to have IR with no weight gain (:raises hand:).

PCOS in women is typically also driven by IR (:raises hand again:) and treating it in those cases is the foundational element of managing the PCOS (in my case, it put my PCOS into longstanding remission). But even without full blown PCOS, IR can result in disruption of ovulation and cycling, etc.

ETA: Also, doctors frequently do not run the correct tests to flag early stage IR when it is easiest to treat. Fasting glucose and A1c are some of the last labs to go out of range as IR progresses. Usually HOMA index, or (in my cases) a fasting oral glucose tolerance test with both glucose AND insulin measured is required to flag early stages.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 12:03:56 PM by wenchsenior »

halfling

• Stubble
« Reply #302 on: March 12, 2024, 01:29:40 PM »
Down a whole 8 lbs this year just from tracking my food, weighing out actual serving sizes, and skipping the second cupcake I tend to go back for, haha. Haven't gotten nearly as much climbing in this year as I had hoped, but I'm sure the little bit I've done has helped. I want to hit the wall at least once a week for the next 4 weeks, starting tonight after work. It's a mile walk to the gym so I'll probably walk it, too, now that I've got the extra daylight!

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #303 on: March 20, 2024, 12:52:01 PM »
OMG people, I'm fat.  Instead of losing five more pounds, I gained ten.  Ugh.

All of my starts and stops are catching up to me.  I guess that's why I haven't been on much.  So here we go again.  The fitness watch worked for like a minute.  I have been doing squats pretty much every day, about 30 or so, like 10 in the morning, 10 waiting for coffee to brew or whatever.  But I've just been eating too much.  I know that if I limit my intake now I'll be used to it in just 3 days, but I keep thinking I'll start tomorrow.  Ugh.  Foolish child!

So today, instead of having a cookie, I did ten squats.  I really want a cookie.  I'm going to do more squats.  I did finally get some walking shoes I really like.  I've got to drop ten immediately, then another 5.  It's so hard to keep off.  I need a punch in the face.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #304 on: March 20, 2024, 02:22:53 PM »
The most annoying thing is that on someone of my size, it's the last 5 lbs that make most of the difference in looking good in clothes versus looking good naked LOL.  But it's SO hard to get the last 5 lbs off and keep them off when you are already operating in a low calorie range...sooooo slow.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #305 on: March 21, 2024, 06:03:43 AM »
I’ve actually been focusing less on losing weight and more on recomposition of my body…. So I’ve been sticking to maintenance calories lately while lifting, heavy and hard. Will probably keep that up for the next four weeks and then see what kind of progress I’ve made with a hard cut.  The bonus to this is that I Can get my metabolism going a little bit harder, and the additional muscle means that my maintenance calories going forward are higher too…so more food!

Anyone else on here interested in frugal bodybuilding?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #306 on: March 21, 2024, 06:12:07 AM »
The most annoying thing is that on someone of my size, it's the last 5 lbs that make most of the difference in looking good in clothes versus looking good naked LOL.  But it's SO hard to get the last 5 lbs off and keep them off when you are already operating in a low calorie range...sooooo slow.

Ugh, this is me, too. Those last five are driving me crazy, lol

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #307 on: March 21, 2024, 06:56:43 AM »
I've been going through an interesting phase because since last August, I have no way of tracking my weight meaningfully.

I've been prescribed essentially artificial cortisone to raise my blood pressure, which means I'm retaining a tremendously variable amount of water, anywhere from 2-10lbs.

It also looks and feels like fat, so how clothes fit or how I look is not a good indicator of what's going on.

Basically, I have no clue what's going on body-comp-wise, I just know that no matter what my weight, I'll never look like what people call "toned" ever again as long as I'm on this drug, which I'm likely on for life.

So this has been an emotionally interesting process having to detach what the scale says and what my body looks like from any meaning to do with eating, as long as I stay within the same 15lb range.

But if I were gaining, it would take me probably months to really notice. So I have to just make sure I'm always eating well.

Not having a scale to catch gain has made it very very motivating to always be mindful about what I eat and how active I am because paying attention to my habits is pretty much all I have now to notice what's going on with my body.

It's been a bit strange.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #308 on: March 21, 2024, 08:58:17 AM »
I've been going through an interesting phase because since last August, I have no way of tracking my weight meaningfully.

I've been prescribed essentially artificial cortisone to raise my blood pressure, which means I'm retaining a tremendously variable amount of water, anywhere from 2-10lbs.

It also looks and feels like fat, so how clothes fit or how I look is not a good indicator of what's going on.

Basically, I have no clue what's going on body-comp-wise, I just know that no matter what my weight, I'll never look like what people call "toned" ever again as long as I'm on this drug, which I'm likely on for life.

So this has been an emotionally interesting process having to detach what the scale says and what my body looks like from any meaning to do with eating, as long as I stay within the same 15lb range.

But if I were gaining, it would take me probably months to really notice. So I have to just make sure I'm always eating well.

Not having a scale to catch gain has made it very very motivating to always be mindful about what I eat and how active I am because paying attention to my habits is pretty much all I have now to notice what's going on with my body.

It's been a bit strange.

You need one of those InBody scanners. Unfortunately, they're too expensive to really be worth getting one.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #309 on: March 21, 2024, 09:05:29 AM »
Re: getting a handle on the possibility of insulin resistance (which is often very sneaky at first) and preventing it progressing to diabetes is hugely important.

If you are overweight, have PCOS or a history of it in your family, have a history of diabetes in the family, or have a diet heavy in sugar and starch (esp processed starch) it is definitely worth watching out for it.

...... snipped .....

There was so much good info in this post - thank you!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #310 on: March 21, 2024, 11:50:59 AM »

...... snipped .....

There was so much good info in this post - thank you!

Oh, good. Glad it was useful!

Runrooster

• Bristles
« Reply #311 on: March 21, 2024, 06:38:43 PM »
I’m at about week 7, lost 15 pounds though I assume the first 5 were water weight and will come right back.

I think I’m eating well, smaller portions of healthy ish foods. I’m still including rice and bread, past weight loss I low-carbed it more. It feels, dare I say, sustainable. I had a huge dinner last night, special event paid for by someone else. Other than that I’ve mostly kept my calories in check.

Plus I’m exercising 2 hours a day most days. That feels less sustainable. Come July and August I won’t be able to do that much with the weather. Generally I’d say 2 hours is just too much time out of my day.

In general my concern is both dropping my weight another 40 pounds, and then sustaining it. I love food too much, and am a volume eater. I’m working on eating smaller portions, no snacks, and eating slowly. I can do this while the pounds are coming off, albeit slowly. When the pounds stop coming off there’s less motivation to eat well and exercise. I cannot figure out how to diet in a way that will teach me how to eat long term. Especially once stress hits.

Any advice?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #312 on: March 22, 2024, 12:33:02 PM »
I’m at about week 7, lost 15 pounds though I assume the first 5 were water weight and will come right back.

I think I’m eating well, smaller portions of healthy ish foods. I’m still including rice and bread, past weight loss I low-carbed it more. It feels, dare I say, sustainable. I had a huge dinner last night, special event paid for by someone else. Other than that I’ve mostly kept my calories in check.

Plus I’m exercising 2 hours a day most days. That feels less sustainable. Come July and August I won’t be able to do that much with the weather. Generally I’d say 2 hours is just too much time out of my day.

In general my concern is both dropping my weight another 40 pounds, and then sustaining it. I love food too much, and am a volume eater. I’m working on eating smaller portions, no snacks, and eating slowly. I can do this while the pounds are coming off, albeit slowly. When the pounds stop coming off there’s less motivation to eat well and exercise. I cannot figure out how to diet in a way that will teach me how to eat long term. Especially once stress hits.

Any advice?

I had to overhaul my eating habits decades ago to manage insulin resistance and PCOS and I've made it stick successfully. The two biggest elements of success were 1) understanding that I wasn't doing a 'diet' in the sense of a temporary change, but a permanent lifestyle shift... there was never going to be a time where I could go back to my old  habits as a general behavior; and 2) HABITS, not motivation and temporary willpower, are what accomplish long term goals. Willpower and motivation are short term and also somewhat unreliable (subject to easy derailment); they require a lot of active effort and conscious thought...that's way too much to maintain long term. Whereas habits are automated, mostly handled by a different part of the brain, and require very little active thought and only intermittent exertions of willpower. Learning how habits are formed by the brain, how to harness this to support your goals etc, recognize triggers and trip-up points to habitual behaviors is super helpful.

In your case, if you are a volume eater, you might want to check out the reddit forum on volume eating. In general, there are a lot of high fiber veggies that can be eaten in very large quantities without too many calories, so that's what a lot of people in that forum seem to rely on.

Plus, that fits with the general principles for healthy eating (e.g., the 'plate' method, such as aiming to build most of your meals as one-half plate nonstarchy veggies, one-quarter protein, and one-quarter starch, with a dab of healthy monosaturated fat if needed.)

Runrooster

• Bristles
« Reply #313 on: March 22, 2024, 05:15:56 PM »
Thanks wenchsenior. I’m absolutely with you on habits vs willpower but right now I’m in weight loss mode. Which means I get a big boost in motivation every 3-7 days when I drop another pound. Plus, I’m not sure how I would eat now to lose weight but eat the same way to maintain. Unless I try to lose very, very slowly like maybe a pound a month. Also, I have a reprieve from work stress for the next 2 months. I’d like to overdo it now while I can and move to something more moderate later.

The problem with volume eating is when I can’t. I brought a high volume chili for lunch today. I went to warm it up and there was leftover pizza. So I had a slice of that low volume food. Today I had the focus to stick to one piece and wait for dinner to get my veg. But in a normal day it won’t fill me up. At home when I make pizza I make sure and have a big salad or other veg with it. Pizza is just one example. Last year with work stress I was munching on peanuts while working. Now I can stop myself from snacking between meals, but high calorie snacks will return eventually. Again the volume eating habit means I eat more of high calorie foods before realizing it.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #314 on: March 24, 2024, 06:08:58 PM »
Thanks wenchsenior. I’m absolutely with you on habits vs willpower but right now I’m in weight loss mode. Which means I get a big boost in motivation every 3-7 days when I drop another pound. Plus, I’m not sure how I would eat now to lose weight but eat the same way to maintain. Unless I try to lose very, very slowly like maybe a pound a month. Also, I have a reprieve from work stress for the next 2 months. I’d like to overdo it now while I can and move to something more moderate later.

The problem with volume eating is when I can’t. I brought a high volume chili for lunch today. I went to warm it up and there was leftover pizza. So I had a slice of that low volume food. Today I had the focus to stick to one piece and wait for dinner to get my veg. But in a normal day it won’t fill me up. At home when I make pizza I make sure and have a big salad or other veg with it. Pizza is just one example. Last year with work stress I was munching on peanuts while working. Now I can stop myself from snacking between meals, but high calorie snacks will return eventually. Again the volume eating habit means I eat more of high calorie foods before realizing it.

The highlighted quote makes me laugh. A pound or two per month is the fastest I'm able to safely lose (without seriously increased workout time). If I relied on fast weight loss to motivate me, I'd likely never lose weight at all.

I think a lot of your post here highlights that most of weight loss (or other long term goals) has to do with cognitive framing.  Several of the phrases you use don't make any logical sense, so I assume they are coming from a place of emotional truth but not actual objective reality. That's important to recognize so you can figure out what your trip up points will be. This is very common; I've been through this too, esp when I was trying to give up a longstanding habit of regular drinking,  with all the associated subjective (and often illogical) beliefs about it that I was very emotionally convinced were true.

"I’m not sure how I would eat now to lose weight but eat the same way to maintain."  I assume that you are referring to emotions here (not math of calories in vs calories out). If you are losing weight at a rate of 5 lbs per month, that means you are in a calorie deficit of about 580 calories per day on average. Mathwise, once you reach the weight you want to maintain, presumably you wouldn't need to be in that big of a deficit (though your TDEE might be somewhat lower), so you could add at least a few hundred calories back in. You presumably know this, so your phrasing here implies that you anticipate feeling a big sense of struggle and restriction to maintain your new weight.  But that won't necessarily be true because you'll  have a few hundred more calories to play with, presumably. It might be true, but not necessarily.

Your phrasing is similar in the second paragraph... I'm a little unclear what the issue was with the pizza. It seems like you discarded your planned healthy/high volume lunch simply b/c there was pizza sitting there? And then you compounded the problem by restricting yourself to eating no more food until dinner?  So you were triggered by the pizza; and didn't have a good preplanned response for that situation.

Here is how I would approach this.  1) Assume that your work is very likely to offer regular triggers such as random appearance of pizza and baked goods. There is never going to be a time where this temptation will stop for good until you retire or work from home, so you have to plan specifically for it.  2) Understand that some days your willpower will likely win out, but some days it won't. Budget a few hundred calories per week for those times when you cave. 3) Bring a salad to work every day (or some other high volume, lower calorie food). If willpower is weak, then eat the pizza AND the salad, so you feel more full and aren't counting the hours before dinner. 4) When you go home for dinner, slightly adjust serving size or ingredients to account for the pizza. Anticipating in this way you can eat the occasional 'office food' without getting into a cycle of feeling super restricted/feeling upset that you caved-'failed'.  If it is a preplanned manageable deviation, it isn't a failure.

And again: "...high calorie snacks will return eventually"   There is no law that says this is true. That's a choice you can make or not make. Millions of people (like me) go through life without snacking at all. For sure when I was young I used to eat out of stress, boredom, because foods were 'sitting there', because other people were eating, etc. But there are methods one can learn to manage all those triggers and learn new ways of reacting.  Not to mention that eating under stress often removes the very pleasure of enjoying the food b/c we are distracted by the stress, so  you are not even getting optimal 'value' (see below).

If you do decide to snack within your calorie budget, that's great. PLAN FOR IT and enjoy it. In general, I'm a big fan of figuring out what foods you truly love and working hard to keep them in your menu, you just have to plan serving sizes accordingly. If you love peanuts, plan to snack on them regularly but in small amounts. But if volume eating is more your thing, then look for things like baby carrots or apples or something like that that you can eat a raft of.

A lot of this type of thinking is similar to Your Money or Your Life...only with calories standing in for dollars.

I tend to think about food as fuel... so my goal is to get as much nutrition + pleasure for my 'dollar' (= calorie) as I reasonably can within my calorie budget.  If I'm going to spend 'calories', I want big value for it... so I  try not to waste calories on food that is 'empty' nutritionally and that I don't really enjoy. I try to stick mostly to nutritionally dense foods, but there are a few  junky foods that I adore so much (e.g., full fat ice cream) that making room for them in the 'budget' is worth it to me. But what I don't do is 'waste' those calories on foods that are nutritionally empty and that I find just 'ok' (e.g., most candy, cake, pie, cheesecake etc.). 

This reminds me of some advice I gave someone else recently who was trying to lose weight but hadn't tried actually tracking calories:

If you don't know exactly how INSANELY calorie dense certain foods are, you can't make a smart judgements about what you would be ok cutting out of your diet, or eating only occasionally, or what you really want to make room for eating regularly. 

For example [EDIT b/c Runrooster pointed out I was accidentally doubling my calorie count for pb], I regularly come home from lap swimming (30 minutes moderate pace freestyle...burns roughly 250 calories). I'm often a little peckish, and the jar of peanut butter beckons. I like pb a lot, so I still eat it occasionally, but I can't justify eating a big spoonful as a little snack after exercise for the simple reason that it is one of the most calorie-dense foods on the planet.

Two heaped spoonfuls from the jar....just TWO big bites... contain almost twice as many calories as my swim burned off.  Do you know how many baby carrots drizzled in vinegar I would have to eat to equate with that much pb?  MORE THAN FIFTY.

Peanut butter just blows my mind, even though I've seen the numbers many times. It's almost never worth it.

Lots of foods are like that.

Make proactive plans to eat what you love within your calorie budget, that's my motto.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 08:40:46 AM by wenchsenior »

Runrooster

• Bristles
« Reply #315 on: March 24, 2024, 07:53:00 PM »
Thanks, lots to digest in there.

I’m confused about pb, which I don’t eat, but the internet says one tablespoon has 94 calories not 500.

Yeah, if I know there’s free food coming, I bring salad, raw broccoli, low cal fruit, etc. but a lot of my meals are like chili or stir fry, with high volume veg or beans mixed with protein. This week I’d already had a big splurge on dinner one night. If I look at the month, it’s no problem. I could have bought a salad, eaten the chili on top of the pizza, and eaten veg for dinner. As it was, I drank some tea and water and ate the chili for dinner.

I don’t think eating in a deficit now, and eating 300 more calories when I’m 40 pounds lighter are “the same” even remotely. Weight loss and weight maintenance are different, mathematically. Not sure what my emotions have to do with that.

Most interesting was your take on foods that are worth it and not. First id take cheesecake over ice cream but it has twice the calories. Second I would like to be more picky but haven’t wrapped my head around it. I do well at not buying stuff, but when it’s offered at a party or workplace, I get in trouble. Even foods I don’t love will get inhaled during stress. On top of my high volume foods.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 07:59:11 PM by Runrooster »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #316 on: March 25, 2024, 08:37:15 AM »
Thanks, lots to digest in there.

I’m confused about pb, which I don’t eat, but the internet says one tablespoon has 94 calories not 500.

:Cue me in dark kitchen this morning squinting at my Skippy label:  Yes, I was thinking of two spoonfuls of PB, not one... you can tell I don't eat it that often anymore!  I will edit my post for accuracy.

So basically, PB is 190 calories per serving (2 Tablespoons = a bit less than the amount I would typically pull out on a spoon if I just stuck one in the jar for a 'snack bite'.  So if I ate two 'bites' of PB after swimming, that would be about 400 calories in two bites, close to twice what the swim burned off. 

The basic point I was making was just that there are always some foods out there that are incredibly sneaky in terms of value per calorie, and unless you are aware of those, it's so easy to accidentally gain weight/forget about a bite or two here or there that is making a huge difference. For me, PB does not have sufficient value per calorie to make it worth eating as a general rule... and this is coming from a person who used to ADORE Reese's PB cups and would eat them nearly daily when I was a teenager. But there are inevitably foods that do seem worth it, so I always encourage people to build some of whatever those foods are (in your case, perhaps cheesecake) into their eating plan.

Yeah, if I know there’s free food coming, I bring salad, raw broccoli, low cal fruit, etc. but a lot of my meals are like chili or stir fry, with high volume veg or beans mixed with protein. This week I’d already had a big splurge on dinner one night. If I look at the month, it’s no problem. I could have bought a salad, eaten the chili on top of the pizza, and eaten veg for dinner. As it was, I drank some tea and water and ate the chili for dinner.

I don’t think eating in a deficit now, and eating 300 more calories when I’m 40 pounds lighter are “the same” even remotely. Weight loss and weight maintenance are different, mathematically. Not sure what my emotions have to do with that.

I just wasn't clear on exactly what your concern was with that work scenario (and also I didn't know what your goal TDEE is likely to be in comparison with your current TDEE), so I think I misinterpreted your concern. It sounds like you already have 'flex calorie' concept built in to your plan  and are thinking about your calorie balance more on a week-by-week basis, which I think is a sound approach in general. Not every week will be perfect, you just have to manage what you can as well as you can and not beat yourself up when things occasionally go awry.

Most interesting was your take on foods that are worth it and not. First id take cheesecake over ice cream but it has twice the calories. Second I would like to be more picky but haven’t wrapped my head around it. I do well at not buying stuff, but when it’s offered at a party or workplace, I get in trouble. Even foods I don’t love will get inhaled during stress. On top of my high volume foods.

OMG cheesecake has twice as many calories as ice cream? :boggles: I guess that makes sense b/c it's a bit denser for its volume...Thank god I don't like it LOL. 

You make a good point about 'random food'.  Parties should be fairly easy to accommodate in a calorie budget b/c they occur relatively infrequently. I think I would vary my strategy depending on how frequent parties are. Personally, I only go to 3 or 4 per year, plus big holidays, so that's pretty easy to accommodate. Generally, at a party with a meal, I stick to a 'eat only one plate + one dessert serving' rule and I just skip the 'nibbles' food or eat only a few bites of it. 

Work I think would be harder if I had colleagues bringing certain foods to share very regularly.  Most food I can ignore, but e.g., fresh donuts I know are a popular workplace staple, and THAT would be tough for me. Fresh baked goods in general I struggle more with, so I specifically organize my life and routine so as not to expose myself to them very frequently. For example I would not encourage regular 'hang outs' with work colleagues or friends at e.g., Starbucks. B/C the longer I'm in a Starbucks, the more chance I'll eventually cave and buy pumpkin bread, etc.

I think so much of this is a mental thing, and also about building habits.  But I'm trying to remember exactly how I shifted from being someone who ate like I did as a teenager/young college student to  how I eat now. B/c back then, I had to struggle to resist a lot of food, whereas now,  it's not much of a struggle at all.

There definitely was a time when I would just reflexively eat (and actively desire to eat) most everything that passed in front of my eyes LOL and now I can be at a party for hours on end and yet usually ignore the nibbles tray or skip dessert or whatever with very minimal 'willpower' exerted.

Back in the day, it was very tough to stop eating something tasty once I started, to not go back for seconds and thirds, to not eat the full tub of ice cream just 'because it was there and I had a bad day', etc. And all of that behavior seems quite alien to me now. But how did I shift my mental approach exactly?  It's a bit mysterious, even to me. I do remember it took conscious thought and effort in the early days, but I think to some extent with 'practice' of skipping those foods, and by learning alternative methods to alleviate boredom and manage stress, etc., it just got easier and easier. 

One thing I do remember doing in my mid 20s was actively trying to shift from my childhood mindset of 'I'd better eat that right now  b/c otherwise it might be gone/other people might eat it before I get any [implication being that somehow I might never get another opportunity to eat candy or whatever]!' to 'there is no shortage of this food; you can buy this/eat this any time, so no need to rush and eat it right now'. (I have a similar approach to urges to impulse purchase:  I will tell myself to wait a few days or a few weeks, and if I still have the urge to buy that thing, then I will seriously consider it...and about 8 times out of 10, when the time has passed, I no longer feel the urge to buy it).

I'm also not sure why I had that 'scarcity' mindset when I was young... we never had a shortage of food growing up  and my parents did not do things like 'reward' us with treats.  Human psychology is mysterious!

I think developing a health condition that required me to eat healthier also helped shift my mindset. I remember in the early days when I was trying to learn how to eat to manage insulin resistance, I did periodically feel frustrated and sort of vaguely rebellious (these are things I very rarely feel about my diet now; in fact, most 'junk food' seems actively repulsive to me now), and  I would sometimes go to a mirror and look myself in the eye and say, "Do you want to go blind from diabetes? Die of kidney failure?" and that would help remind me of how important it was to eat healthy food when I was having an urge to eat a bunch of processed crap.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 08:46:11 AM by wenchsenior »

index

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #317 on: March 25, 2024, 08:41:51 AM »
In my experience, @wenchsenior is correct, weight loss is about changing habits and not dieting. I loved having a cocktail, beer, or bourbon every evening; I will still have one a drink a couple times a week, but most of the time I drink sparkling water with some fresh lime juice and a couple dashes of bitters. It is a 30 calorie substitute, allows me to avoid alcohol, and is really easy for me to substitute. There are also instances where I need rules. I have a similar workplace to @Runrooster where food is brought in often - pizza, donuts, jimmy johns, etc. My rule is a I only eat what I bring from home. Denying yourself the free delivery pizza will take willpower the first few times, but it will become a habit in a month or two and the required willpower goes to zero. The last thing that really helps me is to have a few easy go-to meals that you really like and have them on standby for times when you are tired and stressed. One of my go-to, in a bind, meals is a quesadilla - heat cottage cheese mixed with a little shredded cheese and hot sauce, throw on a low carb tortilla, add your choice of protein, and grill on the stove. Its 350 calories with 40 grams of protein and feels like an indulgence.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #318 on: March 25, 2024, 09:12:09 PM »
I posted this on another thread but wanted to share here where it’s more appropriate:

A big issue with my weight gain was not enough non-exercise activity (called NEAT, or non-exercise activity thermogenesis).

I’m learning to aim for 10k to 20k steps per day, in addition to exercise 2-5 days a week with 2-4 strength sessions of at least 30 minutes. But just the steps alone (preferably outdoors, getting sunlight) make a MASSIVE difference in my energy levels.

One of the things that I was doing wrong the last few years is my NEAT went down even when my weekly exercise was good. I also overate and did long slow endurance. That’s why sustainable routines, plus daily NEAT via walking (zone 2 cardio), are the key to fitness. When I work too hard, I spend the rest of the day immobile.

My goal in FIRE has been to be in the best shape of my life, and I feel this year is promising to make that happen thanks to a 6-week fitness challenge I just completed that really taught me a lot about what my particular body needs to be in optimal shape — despite being someone who already knows a lot about fitness/strength training etc, and already eats well (no junk food, no alcohol).

My insight after completing these 6 weeks is that I was wanting to use magical thinking to be in the shape I wanted to be in, but when I look at many of my life successes, maybe some luck and magic were part of them, but the systems and testing and knowledge and new goals are what gave results.

“My body is a garden” is also a new thought, meaning that it has specific requirements and when I give it those things, it’s amazing how it flourishes.

Another reframing for me is that I didn’t want to track food and don’t do well with restrictions. But I realized that I am more than willing to exercise very hard, which for many people is not fun. Well, tracking my food for a while is just a small step my trainers really wanted me to take to achieve my goals. So I reframed it as “going to the gym” but for my plate, if that makes sense.

Another reframe I told myself was “If I want to be in extraordinary shape, I have to do extraordinary things.”

In the 6-week challenge, we covered goal setting, nutrition, strength training and sleep hygiene.

All the things I’m doing:

—Calorie deficit tracked with MyFitnessPal
—Heavy strength training 3 days a week
—Exercise every day (can be mild like walking or yoga)
—10k to 20k zone 2 cardio most days
—Yoga 2x a week
—increased water/day
—1 glass of water before morning coffee, then 2 more with the coffee
—30% protein/35% fat/35% carbs

Results after 6 weeks:

Down 7 lbs
Much stronger
Visible muscle definition
No sugar cravings (my number one problem before)
Cooking for myself and not letting spouse tempt me off my plan*
Wasting much less food
Found a bunch of food substitutions (low carb tortillas, peanut butter powder)
Taking protein powder occasionally
No hunger cravings, no rigidity about daily calories (sometimes it’s more, sometimes less than goal)
No late night snacking (HUGE issue before)
More energy
Running faster and longer
Waist measurement down, fitting old clothes again

I want to go another 6 weeks, and maybe track food for a year. I want to create a little grid in a journal similar to what I did for the 6 weeks and write down my progress. It was extremely minimal but motivating.

This is the first time I truly understand body recomp. I’ve been going at it all wrong for my size (petite), doing catabolic endurance and overeating. Hypertrophy is key for building my metabolism back up.

*Tonight he tried to tempt me with tortillas (didn’t need them, the food was delicious without and had enough carbs) and then with a pastry (which I felt ZERO interest in and probably wouldn’t even have tasted that good)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 09:32:22 PM by Fru-Gal »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #319 on: March 26, 2024, 05:48:30 AM »
I posted this on another thread but wanted to share here where it’s more appropriate:

A big issue with my weight gain was not enough non-exercise activity (called NEAT, or non-exercise activity thermogenesis).

I’m learning to aim for 10k to 20k steps per day, in addition to exercise 2-5 days a week with 2-4 strength sessions of at least 30 minutes. But just the steps alone (preferably outdoors, getting sunlight) make a MASSIVE difference in my energy levels.

One of the things that I was doing wrong the last few years is my NEAT went down even when my weekly exercise was good. I also overate and did long slow endurance. That’s why sustainable routines, plus daily NEAT via walking (zone 2 cardio), are the key to fitness. When I work too hard, I spend the rest of the day immobile.

My goal in FIRE has been to be in the best shape of my life, and I feel this year is promising to make that happen thanks to a 6-week fitness challenge I just completed that really taught me a lot about what my particular body needs to be in optimal shape — despite being someone who already knows a lot about fitness/strength training etc, and already eats well (no junk food, no alcohol).

My insight after completing these 6 weeks is that I was wanting to use magical thinking to be in the shape I wanted to be in, but when I look at many of my life successes, maybe some luck and magic were part of them, but the systems and testing and knowledge and new goals are what gave results.

“My body is a garden” is also a new thought, meaning that it has specific requirements and when I give it those things, it’s amazing how it flourishes.

Another reframing for me is that I didn’t want to track food and don’t do well with restrictions. But I realized that I am more than willing to exercise very hard, which for many people is not fun. Well, tracking my food for a while is just a small step my trainers really wanted me to take to achieve my goals. So I reframed it as “going to the gym” but for my plate, if that makes sense.

Another reframe I told myself was “If I want to be in extraordinary shape, I have to do extraordinary things.”

In the 6-week challenge, we covered goal setting, nutrition, strength training and sleep hygiene.

—Yoga 2x a week
—increased water/day

Results after 6 weeks:

Down 7 lbs
Much stronger
Wasting much less food
No hunger cravings, no rigidity about daily calories (sometimes it’s more, sometimes less than goal)
More energy

I want to go another 6 weeks, and maybe track food for a year. I want to create a little grid in a journal similar to what I did for the 6 weeks and write down my progress. It was extremely minimal but motivating.

This is the first time I truly understand body recomp. I’ve been going at it all wrong for my size (petite), doing catabolic endurance and overeating. Hypertrophy is key for building my metabolism back up.

*Tonight he tried to tempt me with tortillas (didn’t need them, the food was delicious without and had enough carbs) and then with a pastry (which I felt ZERO interest in and probably wouldn’t even have tasted that good)

I started my journey a little over a year ago with a ten-week challenge at my gym, and I agree with pretty much all of this. The food logging especially. I see so many people resisting this, when honestly it’s probably the single best thing you can do for yourself to understand what’s going into your mouth and the consequences of that.

index

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #320 on: March 26, 2024, 08:41:11 AM »

—Yoga 2x a week
—increased water/day

Results after 6 weeks:

Down 7 lbs
Much stronger
Wasting much less food
More energy

I started my journey a little over a year ago with a ten-week challenge at my gym, and I agree with pretty much all of this. The food logging especially. I see so many people resisting this, when honestly it’s probably the single best thing you can do for yourself to understand what’s going into your mouth and the consequences of that.

Food logging is a must. It is interesting how people will track minutes of exercise, steps, weight, and measurements but resist counting calories. You have to run almost three miles to use the energy consumed in one piece of pizza. To me, it is a hell of a lot easier to forgo the 5 minutes of pleasure from inhaling some pizza than to go run for half an hour.

If you establish a rotation of breakfast and lunch and you will only have to track dinner. Start with a couple of breakfast and lunch options and add go-to pre-tracked meals from there.

A couple of breakfast options:
1 - 1/2c oatmeal, 1/2c egg whites, 1/2c blueberries, 2 tbsp powdered pb, 1 tbsp maple syrup -
400 calories - 29g protein

2- 1c Greek yogurt, 1 scoop whey protein, 1/2c blueberries, 1/4c granolla -
450 calories -  56g protein
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 08:43:22 AM by index »

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #321 on: March 26, 2024, 09:49:26 AM »
I see so many people resisting this, when honestly it’s probably the single best thing you can do for yourself to understand what’s going into your mouth and the consequences of that.

Food logging is a must. It is interesting how people will track minutes of exercise, steps, weight, and measurements but resist counting calories. You have to run almost three miles to use the energy consumed in one piece of pizza. To me, it is a hell of a lot easier to forgo the 5 minutes of pleasure from inhaling some pizza than to go run for half an hour.

Yeah, this was me. Also when you are a compact person it takes even MORE exercise to burn extra food off.
And you phrased it perfectly. Why was I willing to track these other things but not food?

In the long term I hope the portion controls will cement as habit and not need tracking. But I have already evolved my eating a number of times as an adult (never extremely, just in terms of changing habits like stopping eating a huge breakfast of many eggs, sausage, 2 pieces of toast, OJ, milk and cereal!!).

Early in the challenge I was getting a body scan with the trainer. She looked at my results which were very good (optimal muscle and bone density) except for the high fat. I told the trainer I didn’t want to track food (I did Noom app for a while a few years ago and lost weight but gained it back).

She was very mild about it, which was PERFECT for me. She said tracking calories/macros and eating enough protein was probably most important thing I could do, and when I said I didn’t want to, she just murmurred, “hmmm. You’ll get it.” That night I was like, OK, this is what I have to do, it’s a challenge so challenge yourself!

Then maybe 1-2 weeks later I did another body scan and the results were no better, fat-wise, even though I was feeling pretty good. She asked me how I was doing and I was like, “I’m working hard, and eating better. It all goes off the rails at night though.” She just smiled and said “oh.” Again, lightbulb. That was when I started tracking in earnest.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 09:54:38 AM by Fru-Gal »

index

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #322 on: March 26, 2024, 11:22:14 AM »
I've been tracking calories aiming for a 500 cal. deficit for 17 weeks now and aiming for at least 130g of protein and am down 25 pounds. I've been using a Samsung watch to track body composition and am down from 27% to 18% body fat, I got a dexa scan two weeks ago that said 19.3% body fat so the watch seems fairly accurate for me.

My goal is 15% body fat which means I have another 7-10 pounds to go. Weight loss progress has slowed down, but every pound has a bigger impact % body fat and on the way I look so it's still motivating.

I haven't changed anything about my workout routine:
-Average 12k steps per day
-Play pickleball three times a week
-Lift weights two to three times a week 

It took 3 years of my habits being wrecked by covid to put the weight on and 4 months to take it off plus another couple months of "polishing" doesn't seem too bad!

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #323 on: March 26, 2024, 12:22:50 PM »
Nice, I didn’t know a watch could do body comp! My watch (Garmin Forerunner) tells me my VO2 max is of a 20 year old so am quite happy with that. I realize it’s likely inaccurate so I mainly track myself against myself in terms of seeing VO2 max increases/decreases. Meanwhile the body scan at the gym kept telling me I was older than I am, oh well.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #324 on: March 27, 2024, 09:31:19 AM »
I see so many people resisting this, when honestly it’s probably the single best thing you can do for yourself to understand what’s going into your mouth and the consequences of that.

Yeah, this was me. Also when you are a compact person it takes even MORE exercise to burn extra food off.
And you phrased it perfectly. Why was I willing to track these other things but not food?

In the long term I hope the portion controls will cement as habit and not need tracking. But I have already evolved my eating a number of times as an adult (never extremely, just in terms of changing habits like stopping eating a huge breakfast of many eggs, sausage, 2 pieces of toast, OJ, milk and cereal!!).

Early in the challenge I was getting a body scan with the trainer. She looked at my results which were very good (optimal muscle and bone density) except for the high fat. I told the trainer I didn’t want to track food (I did Noom app for a while a few years ago and lost weight but gained it back).

She was very mild about it, which was PERFECT for me. She said tracking calories/macros and eating enough protein was probably most important thing I could do, and when I said I didn’t want to, she just murmurred, “hmmm. You’ll get it.” That night I was like, OK, this is what I have to do, it’s a challenge so challenge yourself!

Then maybe 1-2 weeks later I did another body scan and the results were no better, fat-wise, even though I was feeling pretty good. She asked me how I was doing and I was like, “I’m working hard, and eating better. It all goes off the rails at night though.” She just smiled and said “oh.” Again, lightbulb. That was when I started tracking in earnest.

You make so many great points in your posts.  I too have been trying to change body composition (I'm naturally a twig, and it's so hard to build muscle but I'm making a much bigger effort than I used to).

The highlighted made me LOL.  My husband is really committed to making a weekend breakfast like what you describe and it is just a gobsmacking amount of food to me. (Delicious, but holy shit).  If left to his own devices, he'd make it both weekend days, but that alone would put me over my ability to calorie budget for a week, so we have compromised on one weekend day. Still, I wish he wasn't so into that ritual b/c it makes weight maintenance harder (even for him, since he's in his 60s now).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #325 on: March 27, 2024, 12:53:58 PM »
I've been "funemployed"/FIREd for four weeks today. A few observations, as it relates to my weight. Background, I was working out consistently & training for a half marathon before I was laid off, and I've been very active my whole life (minus that freshman year of college. *shivers*)

-I now work out every day like it's my job. I choose harder classes, I have more flexibility, and I'm more likely to add other physical things (in addition to my "work out" into my day. Like, meeting a friend for a walk, or doing yard work for an hour, etc.
-Because I have extra workout time, I'm doing a lot more stretching, and weight training. Cardio has always been good, but I've been able to substantially increase my time spent on weight training.
-I'm attending a 9:30 workout class most days. Because of the timing & not wanting to work out after a meal, I fast until lunch. This has cut my calories.
-I'm not eating at work (my office had free lunch, snacks, treats, breakfast, etc), and I feel like I have more control over/know more about what's in what I eat at home.
-I have zero stress cravings. I'm not reading snarky emails, attending stressful meetings, trying to fire someone, dealing with slow stakeholders, etc... All of those things would drive up food cravings, and reduce my ability to say no. I would "treat" myself, after some of those things. Because I'm having no stress cravings, it's much easier to just eat two reasonably healthy meals a day, and avoid snacking. I do sometimes have a handful of almonds before dinner if we're eating much later than expected, because I have two teens with very busy schedules, and our meal timing varies quite a bit. Otherwise, I'm avoiding snacking pretty much altogether.
-I'm sleeping better.
-My body fat % is down 1% (according the scale I use)
-I've lost 3 lbs, which is "fast" for me.
-I look visibly more toned/fitter.
-I've been able to slightly increase my running pace time.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #326 on: March 27, 2024, 01:19:18 PM »
I've been "funemployed"/FIREd for four weeks today. A few observations, as it relates to my weight. Background, I was working out consistently & training for a half marathon before I was laid off, and I've been very active my whole life (minus that freshman year of college. *shivers*)

-I now work out every day like it's my job. I choose harder classes, I have more flexibility, and I'm more likely to add other physical things (in addition to my "work out" into my day. Like, meeting a friend for a walk, or doing yard work for an hour, etc.
-Because I have extra workout time, I'm doing a lot more stretching, and weight training. Cardio has always been good, but I've been able to substantially increase my time spent on weight training.
-I'm attending a 9:30 workout class most days. Because of the timing & not wanting to work out after a meal, I fast until lunch. This has cut my calories.
-I'm not eating at work (my office had free lunch, snacks, treats, breakfast, etc), and I feel like I have more control over/know more about what's in what I eat at home.
-I have zero stress cravings. I'm not reading snarky emails, attending stressful meetings, trying to fire someone, dealing with slow stakeholders, etc... All of those things would drive up food cravings, and reduce my ability to say no. I would "treat" myself, after some of those things. Because I'm having no stress cravings, it's much easier to just eat two reasonably healthy meals a day, and avoid snacking. I do sometimes have a handful of almonds before dinner if we're eating much later than expected, because I have two teens with very busy schedules, and our meal timing varies quite a bit. Otherwise, I'm avoiding snacking pretty much altogether.
-I'm sleeping better.
-My body fat % is down 1% (according the scale I use)
-I've lost 3 lbs, which is "fast" for me.
-I look visibly more toned/fitter.
-I've been able to slightly increase my running pace time.

I can absolutely relate to all of this! I'm not "funemployed," but I work for myself, from home, at a job that is "full-time" in that it generates a full-time income but I really only work about 3-4 hours a day, in the afternoons. I tick off a ton of the same boxes: I go to the gym every day M-F at 9 am, and do pretty intense workouts, which mean that I don't like to eat solid food beforehand (makes me nauseated). So my calorie intake before lunch is typically a cup of drinkable yogurt (140 cals). Better sleep, less stress, less junk food around, good/intense physical exercise most days = much improved physical fitness and better body composition. I've lost 7 pounds of body fat since Jan. 1, and gained about half a pound of muscle in that time frame.

It's much easier to do this when you can engineer your life in such a way that most of the things you do are pushing you in the right direction instead of canceling each other out or worse.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #327 on: March 27, 2024, 02:20:41 PM »
@Kris - absolutely, this -
It's much easier to do this when you can engineer your life in such a way that most of the things you do are pushing you in the right direction instead of canceling each other out or worse.

I'm not at all surprised that I was struggling so much with things in my previous world. Just the extra time has helped so much. Add in a slightly different schedule & minimal stress, and it's been super eye opening.