Author Topic: Lose weight starting TODAY!!  (Read 33026 times)

RetireOrDieTrying

• Stubble
  • Gallivantin' across the US
Re: Lose weight starting TODAY!!
« Reply #250 on: August 09, 2023, 06:16:29 PM »
My journey started with losing 80 lb. in the last 5 months through simple calorie deficit. Critically, though, I didn't start with a number in mind - I wanted to change my habits, and fitness would simply follow, and stick.

I'm now working my calories back up to maintenance level with trial-and-error. So far it's more error, as I've continued to lose, just at a lower rate. I don't really want to lose much more, to be honest. I'm starting to look rather beanpole-ish.

As hoped/expected, the habits are taking hold. I routinely choose much better foods. I avoid processed as much as possible. The real interesting thing, though, is that my tastes themselves have changed, and my body's reaction to things I used to consume en masse.

Now, eating anything with heavy sugar makes me feel terrible. Three weeks ago I was having dinner with family, and they'd purchased an Amish peanut butter pie. Loads of sugar and whipped cream. They finally coaxed me into having a very, VERY small piece. Right away, it hit my stomach like a ton of bricks, and I just felt... yucky. THAT was quite the eye-opener, as I used to have a huge sugar habit (18-24 Dr. Peppers a day, plus snack cakes). I now geniunely don't enjoy sugary... well, anything.

It's the same story with heavily fried foods. I used to LOVE fried potatoes, fried fish, fried chicken, chicken-fried steak, cream gravy, etc. Now, having even a little of them just makes me feel like I swallowed lead.

It'll be interesting to see, over time, how these observations hold.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #251 on: August 09, 2023, 07:31:57 PM »
I am kind of jealous people who are put off the junk food after a few months of healthy eating. That has never happened to me.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #252 on: August 13, 2023, 12:06:05 PM »
Yeah, I'm jealous of that changing taste problem as well.

Lost 15 lbs, have back slid about 4-5 lbs. All my fault. Sweet tooth strikes again.

Am starting to include some bicycle time. Have several bikes. Brought out my pedal bike (no battery). Grinding up a few hills. Want to do that until it gets easier. Maybe some yoga.

Happy the end of hot weather is around the corner.

Our long game is working out financially. Need to be in better shape so we can grow old and enjoy the fruits of our labors.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #253 on: August 14, 2023, 07:50:35 AM »
I've made some solid progress on weight loss (down 9 lbs from my high this year). I've been avoiding snacks, sweets & second helpings during the work week (M-F) & still being really moderate on weekends. I've also cut back from drinking wine 3 nights/week to maybe 1 or 0. We went to Las Vegas, where I definitely ate & drank more than usual, but within a week, I'm back to my previous weight.

I'm also training for a running event, so I've swapped out some of my Orange Theory workouts for running. I prefer OT over longer runs, but my event is over in two weeks & I can adjust from there. I will say that running tones my body unlike anything else, and I do like the post run high I occasionally get.

My appetite has shrunk drastically, which has made it much easier to stick to the plan. I also feel like this is a lifetime adjustment, not a random "diet" I'll follow & get bored of.

I'm about 13 lbs from my goal weight. I haven't been that weight in a LONG time, so I'll see how things look when I get there, and whether that's the weight I'd like to maintain. Goal weight would be 135, and I'm just a smidge under 5'6", with an athletic build, and in good shape.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #254 on: August 14, 2023, 11:52:40 PM »
I’ve lost somewhere between 15 and 20 pounds this summer. I wasn’t horribly overweight before, but my weight had crept up a bit, and I was feeling less able to engage in my preferred high energy activities. I have a good friend who was experiencing a lot of success with a workout and diet program called e2m, so I decided to try it out, and it’s been amazing. I have no connection to them other than as a client, but the combo of HIIT circuits, targeted cardio, and carb cycling as a meal plan has been a game changer for me. I’m below my weight when I got married, and starting to see some better muscle definition. More important, my resting HR has gone down and my hr zones in cardio are better than before.

All this to say, if you are struggling, I highly encourage pairing diet with weight lifting. And if you are interested in e2m, I’m happy to share via direct message about it.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #255 on: August 16, 2023, 01:19:17 PM »
I've been pregnant or breastfeeding for the last 3 years.  I'm finally weaning my 1.5 yr old so I need to reign in my calorie consumption since i've pretty much ate whatever and however much I wanted for the last 3 years with the calorie burn from breastfeeding keeping me pretty much the same weight.   The last couple months as I've been breastfeeding less and less, I've started to gain weight.

I am able to lose weight consistently when I track EVERYTHING with MFP but it takes consistent effort to do and I get burnt out.  Nevertheless, I'm going to start tracking and choosing nutrient dense food until I lose ~20ish lbs and then decide what do do for maintenance.   Last time I lost 20 lbs (pre-kids) it took me about a year and was sustainable.  2 months later I got pregnant.

Looking forward to making some good progress by 2024 bathing suit season!

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #256 on: August 25, 2023, 12:24:46 PM »
When I check this thread, I keep seeing the "eat all the food in your house challenge," and I think, "Yeah, I should do that one instead!" :)

JupiterGreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #257 on: August 26, 2023, 09:01:41 AM »
When I check this thread, I keep seeing the "eat all the food in your house challenge," and I think, "Yeah, I should do that one instead!" :)

Haha!

I am starting this challenge. I actually started last week. My plan is 2 days weights, 2 days cardio, 1 day gentle yoga, and then just walking the other two days so: do something physical everyday! I don't own a scale so I don't think I will make a pound goal. My work pants are tight and since I'm a cheapskate I don't want to buy new clothes. So instead of pounds I'm going to go with my clothes becoming loose/ fitting better and me just physically looking better. I'd like to have sweet arm muscles. I don't gain muscle easily, but I can dream though.

Good luck everyone!

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #258 on: September 01, 2023, 04:26:25 PM »
@JupiterGreen I was going to post but you beat me to it by a few minutes and your post is similar to what I would have posted. No scale, trying to hold the line because I don't want to buy new clothes.

Don't know my weight but likely around 140. Would like to drop 5 to 10 but since I don't have a scale, I'm going by my clothes fit. I have clothes that used to be big on me and now they fit just right. And clothes that fit right now fit tight.

Have been doing the following this week:

3 meals a day, no snacking.

Eat to 80% full. My norm was eat to full or stuffed. Not properly counting calories but I do tally in head to keep it in ballpark. I'm aiming for 1200ish calories.

Not intermittent fasting but eating dinner at 6 rather than 7-9. I want to finish eating earlier in the evening and that helps with snacking. Instead of snacking on late afternoon and then having dinner later, I now skip the snack and tell myself dinner is around the corner. I do feel hungry close to bed time but I find it easier to resist snacking if it's close to bed time.

Accept that I will be a little hungry at times. I don't always have to be satiated.

I'm moderately active as I do not own a car. Just have to ensure I get around 7k steps every day and or ride my bike. Sometimes I fall off for a couple of days. Which reminds me I need to go out now as work today was a shit show and I haven't moved more a few feet away from my desk.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 04:31:44 PM by dodojojo »

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #259 on: September 08, 2023, 12:25:36 PM »
I gained a few pounds in the last few months after maintaining 140 for like a year.  I went up to 146.  Last week I reverted to writing down all of my food and calories this time limiting to 1,000.  Last time I limited to  1,200 and lost about a b a week on average.  More at first, less overtime.  The thing is that I have to bee at a week meeting in a couple weeks and panicked that my clothes were tight and I'm looking kinda raggedy.  So I'm looking to drop as much as possible by my staff meeting.  I started at 146 last Friday and today I'm at 142.  I want to get to 135 to look super cute.  I even did a chemical facial peel and dyed my roots.  My skin is peeling off in sheets.  It's gross. lol.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #260 on: September 09, 2023, 03:47:11 PM »
Monday weigh in:

11/14 200.5.
11/25 196.3 (-4.2)
11/28 193.6 (-6.9)
12/26 190.5 (-10)

03/25 199 lbs.......started tracking. 
3/30 194

I've started tracking 100%, let's see if that keeps things moving.   Shooting for ~2,000 calories a day, subject to change.

Checking in to share my lack of progress. 

Todays BW: 201

Thoughts:  My physical activity/training regimen is very rigorous.  Crossfit 3x/week plus strength training 1-2x/week with heavy compound lifts.  Therefore obviously, my recovery and calorie demands are quite high.  I believe I need to track to accomplish slow, controlled weight loss.  My biggest problem has been massive consumption of bad calories at night snacking.  I think I'm trying to restrict calories too much when tracking and my body is just getting depleted and ravenous.  So, I'm going to make another attempt at tracking but with a higher calorie allowance.  I think I will shoot for 2500 calories a day of good high quality food and see if that keeps my appetite under control and the scale moving down about 1lb/week.   I filled up the house with fruit so if I get the munchies at night I'm going to try to grab apple slices with peanut butter, grapes, yoghurt with blueberries, etc.  In the end, if I can't accomplish what I want on my own, I'm not opposed to hiring a nutrition coach for accountability and hopefully better results.

For perspective, I'm 52 y.o, 5'8",and think that somewhere around 180 would be close to an ideal weight for me.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #261 on: September 10, 2023, 06:32:39 AM »
I gained a few pounds in the last few months after maintaining 140 for like a year.  I went up to 146.  Last week I reverted to writing down all of my food and calories this time limiting to 1,000.  Last time I limited to  1,200 and lost about a b a week on average.  More at first, less overtime.  The thing is that I have to bee at a week meeting in a couple weeks and panicked that my clothes were tight and I'm looking kinda raggedy.  So I'm looking to drop as much as possible by my staff meeting.  I started at 146 last Friday and today I'm at 142.  I want to get to 135 to look super cute.  I even did a chemical facial peel and dyed my roots.  My skin is peeling off in sheets.  It's gross. lol.

just curious, but do you ever worry about permanently depressing your metabolism with long periods of low cals? I have definitely seen that being a real risk, and I'm curious about how you manage it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #262 on: September 10, 2023, 08:10:32 AM »

just curious, but do you ever worry about permanently depressing your metabolism with long periods of low cals? I have definitely seen that being a real risk, and I'm curious about how you manage it.

Happened to me and it was horrible.

Just getting out of bed was hard, my whole body felt too heavy to want to move it. But that was a combo of years of low calorie eating, significant weight loss, and illness and medications that also suppressed my activity and metabolism.

I switched to IF and that revved my metabolism and energy back up to normal, but even that, my body has adapted to, especially after being bed ridden with a broken femur for so long.

I don't know how generalizable my experience is since there are so many contributing factors, but eating a sustained, very low calorie diet definitely took a major roll.

It was scary when I could gain on an average of 1200 calories/day. Not 1200 on a typical day, 1200 average. So that meant many days well below that to compensate for any above.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #263 on: September 10, 2023, 08:56:49 AM »

Just getting out of bed was hard, my whole body felt too heavy to want to move it. But that was a combo of years of low calorie eating, significant weight loss, and illness and medications that also suppressed my activity and metabolism.

I switched to IF and that revved my metabolism and energy back up to normal, but even that, my body has adapted to, especially after being bed ridden with a broken femur for so long.

I don't know how generalizable my experience is since there are so many contributing factors, but eating a sustained, very low calorie diet definitely took a major roll.

It was scary when I could gain on an average of 1200 calories/day. Not 1200 on a typical day, 1200 average. So that meant many days well below that to compensate for any above.

Well, on the bright side, I assume this means your food expenses are lower so you should save money in that department.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #264 on: September 10, 2023, 09:00:31 AM »

Well, on the bright side, I assume this means your food expenses are lower so you should save money in that department.

Absolutely not.

It's much, much more expensive to try and fit enough nutrients into a low calorie budget.

It's way cheaper to eat when you don't have to make every single bite nutrient dense.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #265 on: September 14, 2023, 08:48:02 AM »

On 1200 cal a day I was losing a pound a week steadily, so I don't think that was especially low calorie for me.  When I went up to 1400 or 1500 I maintained my weight of 140.  I am extremely sedentary so really I just don't need that many calories.  I'm only doing the 1000 cal a day for a couple of weeks so I don't think it will hurt too bad.  I eat tons of fruit and veg so it's not too hard to stay under that.  Normally I like lots of carbs, cake, muffins, but without those it's mostly fruit and veg.  I don't eat much meat or anything fried bc I really don't cook.  I'll take half a can of soup and add a bag of frozen broccoli to it and have an enormous bowl of soup for 200 cal.  Yogurt, sunflower seeds and berries will add 300 and I walk away full.

It's true that cal in, cal out doesn't work for every single person on the planet, but for most overweight ppl it really is that simple.  We see that in finances too.  Everyone thinks they are the exception.  They hear about mustachianism and insist that doesn't work for everybody.  Maybe not but it probably works for you.  Most overweight ppl don't have to look at macros or how different nutrients affect the body or fasting.  They just have to eat less crap, baked goods and fried foods.  If you're an athlete or have specific health issues, then you may have different needs.  But most of us overweight ppl can just skip desert and lose weight.  Again, not every single person, but don't let thinking you'll be the exception lead to not trying or over complicating weight loss.  It's mostly simple.  Hard yes, but simple.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #266 on: September 16, 2023, 07:53:56 AM »
I'm only one week in with a new plan, but I feel like I'm on a good path now.  Wasn't tracking consistently which led to keeping calories too low, which led to getting depleted and ravenously hungry, which led to multiple days of massive consumption to refuel.

For one week, I have completely eliminated unhealthy processed food/snacking.  I accomplished this in two ways:
1)Raised my daily calories to 2500..enough so that I stay satiated and lose weight at a moderate, consistent pace.
2)Stocked up on fruits I like...apples, bananas, and grapes, and got yogurt and granola.  Those are my "snacks".  It's the only thing I eat outside of meals.  My meals are very healthy.....I don't eat fried foods and prefer lean meats, veggies, and starches like potatoes and rice.  Whole foods. 

09/08/2023: 201 lbs
Today 09/16 196.4
Goal 180ish.   I should be very lean at this weight at 5'8".

I'm going to stick with 2500 calories for another week and see how things go.  I'm staying pretty full and satiated at that calorie level.  It's the first time with my on and off attempts over the last year that I feel like I'm on a sustainable, productive path.  We'll see.

RetireOrDieTrying

• Stubble
« Reply #267 on: October 28, 2023, 10:48:47 AM »
It's been a couple of months or so since my last update. I had miscalculated my maintenance calories, and kept losing weight. I got down to 184, which for my 6' frame equates to a 29" waist. I have been working out with weights every morning and trying to hit 10,000 steps per day. I was shooting for 1850 calories/day and averaging maybe 1300, which didn't factor in my activity level at all, so I was continuing in a pretty fierce calorie deficit. The past few days I've been trying to get my calories back up without resorting to processed foods or sugar.

At the store this morning I did one of those "take your blood pressure and calculate your BMI" things. It said I had a BMI of 27 and I'm obese. :D

On the plus side, these two photos are 7 months apart. You possibly can't imagine how much better I feel.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #268 on: October 28, 2023, 12:07:11 PM »
It's been a couple of months or so since my last update. I had miscalculated my maintenance calories, and kept losing weight. I got down to 184, which for my 6' frame equates to a 29" waist. I have been working out with weights every morning and trying to hit 10,000 steps per day. I was shooting for 1850 calories/day and averaging maybe 1300, which didn't factor in my activity level at all, so I was continuing in a pretty fierce calorie deficit. The past few days I've been trying to get my calories back up without resorting to processed foods or sugar.

At the store this morning I did one of those "take your blood pressure and calculate your BMI" things. It said I had a BMI of 27 and I'm obese. :D

On the plus side, these two photos are 7 months apart. You possibly can't imagine how much better I feel.

Fantastic progress!!!   /thread :)

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #269 on: October 28, 2023, 12:11:14 PM »
I'm only one week in with a new plan, but I feel like I'm on a good path now.  Wasn't tracking consistently which led to keeping calories too low, which led to getting depleted and ravenously hungry, which led to multiple days of massive consumption to refuel.

For one week, I have completely eliminated unhealthy processed food/snacking.  I accomplished this in two ways:
1)Raised my daily calories to 2500..enough so that I stay satiated and lose weight at a moderate, consistent pace.
2)Stocked up on fruits I like...apples, bananas, and grapes, and got yogurt and granola.  Those are my "snacks".  It's the only thing I eat outside of meals.  My meals are very healthy.....I don't eat fried foods and prefer lean meats, veggies, and starches like potatoes and rice.  Whole foods. 

09/08/2023: 201 lbs
Today 09/16 196.4
Goal 180ish.   I should be very lean at this weight at 5'8".

I'm going to stick with 2500 calories for another week and see how things go.  I'm staying pretty full and satiated at that calorie level.  It's the first time with my on and off attempts over the last year that I feel like I'm on a sustainable, productive path.  We'll see.

I fell off the wagon again.  It seems I'm just not able to accomplish what I want to on my own.  I hired a nutrition coach.  Yes, I know, not very Mustachian but this is a really important goal for me and it's worth the price if it keeps me on track.

Bounced back up to 201 on 10/13.  On 10/16, nutrition coach started me at @2200 calories with the goal of ~ 1lb/week weight loss.
Today I am 195.5 so I am for sure in a deficit at those calories.

RetireOrDieTrying

• Stubble
« Reply #270 on: October 30, 2023, 12:41:06 PM »
I hired a nutrition coach.  Yes, I know, not very Mustachian

I disagree. "Cost" and "value" are not the same word. If hiring a nutritionist extends your life, increases your health, and chops healthcare burdens in the future, then that would be a shrewd expenditure.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #271 on: November 01, 2023, 07:20:59 AM »
I hired a nutrition coach.  Yes, I know, not very Mustachian

I disagree. "Cost" and "value" are not the same word. If hiring a nutritionist extends your life, increases your health, and chops healthcare burdens in the future, then that would be a shrewd expenditure.

I agree. I put virtually no limits on what I'm willing to spend for my health. I spend 5 figures a year on "optional" healthcare services and products and consider it to be an excellent investment.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #272 on: November 05, 2023, 07:10:15 AM »
Bounced back up to 201 on 10/13 after many months of attempting on my own.
On 10/16, nutrition coach started me at @2200 calories with the goal of ~ 1lb/week weight loss.
10/16: 199.8
10/28: 195.5 so I am for sure in a deficit at those calories.
11/05: 193.4

This is about the lowest I've managed to get on my own this year and always hit a wall.  So this is my sticking point. 

« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 04:53:57 PM by EchoStache »

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #273 on: December 17, 2023, 02:16:17 PM »
10/13: 201
On 10/16, nutrition coach started me at @2200 calories with the goal of ~ 1lb/week weight loss.
12/17: 189.7

15 to go.  I think ~175 will be my target.

Aardvark

• Stubble
« Reply #274 on: January 12, 2024, 10:23:35 AM »
I just saw this post on Linkedin (https://www.linkedin.com/posts/robert-lustig-8904245_ok-everyone-this-paper-is-2-years-in-the-activity-7151481389975007232-gs8Z/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop)

It seems like good reading for anybody on this thread:

OK, everyone! This paper is 2 years in the making and guaranteed to turn the obesity world upside down. I'm very proud of it.

Most everyone thinks obesity is about calories, known as the Energy Balance Model (EBM). But that doesn't explain why certain foods cause more obesity, it doesn't take the role of the microbiome into account, and it doesn't explain why certain chemicals cause obesity.

Others think that refined carbohydrate spikes insulin which drives obesity, known as the Carbohydrate-Insulin Model (CIM). But that doesn't explain why babies are now obese, and what's going on with epigenetics and transgenerational inheritance.

There are two other models. The REDOX Model looks at biochemical changes within cells that lead to phosphorylation of kinases (specific energy dependent enzymes that control adiposity, insulin release, and food intake). And the Obesogen Model (OBS) looks at chemicals that drive adiposity by acting as endocrine disruptors unrelated to calories, like DDT, BPA, PFAS, flame retardants, and air pollution.

This paper, co-authored by Jerry Heindel (former program director NIH), Barbara Corkey (Boston U., Banting Award winner from ADA), Sarah Howard (director of Healthy Environment and Endocrine Disruptor Strategies (HEEDS)), and myself, folds all these models into one comprehensive model of obesity that explains all of the models, and all of the exceptions.

TAKE HOME MESSAGES: 1. Obesity is biochemistry. 2. The behavior is a result of the biochemistry. 3. Bad diets cause obesity through REDOX generation. 4. Prevention is the only solution.

Read this, and understand: Obesity is NOT YOUR FAULT. And we need government to help clean up the toxic mess we've made of our planet and our food.

https://lnkd.in/dc_zzAMa

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #275 on: January 16, 2024, 02:36:06 PM »
Lose weight starting TODAY!!

Well its today and I'm here. After losing 52 lbs in 2021 I gained 24 of it back so I'm starting fresh. My goal is to lose another 52 lbs in 2024 which is quite doable for me. Using the same method as last time, I was able to lose 1-2 lbs a week. I lost the weight through calorie counting, not really through exercising (although I do). The key this time is afterwards finding a maintenance level of calories and sticking to tracking FOR LIFE. My biggest success came from wearing a glucose meter and realizing I had metabolic dysfunction (likely pre diabetes). I adopted a high fat high protein diet which is the only way I can control hunger and maintain a reasonable amount of calories. It also completely quiets the running dialogue in my head about snacking and bingeing. I'd equate the level of bother to that of a drug addict. Here's an article from the Wall Street Journal (I believe that by sharing it, its not under paywall) that most resonates with my feelings on food. I've never seen anyone else write so similarly, although I've never tried weight loss meds and likely never will. I've read too many stories about permanent stomach paralysis as a side effect with a lifetime of vomiting. No thanks!

https://www.wsj.com/health/pharma/a-weight-loss-drug-changed-my-life-will-it-solve-my-problem-aeb79260?st=l7m82elg4qz76m7&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

I fired up my food logging app again (myfitnesspal) and am 3 days into a hard reset of both calories and carb cutting. Its the first day I've had a headache which means I'm probably in or near ketosis. I've also dropped 5 lbs in these 3 days. I know its mostly water and poo but it still feels great not to be carrying all that fluid on my joints.

My eating goals are ~1700 calories a day, 45% fat, 35% protein and 20% carbs. I'm sitting under 10% carbs currently as I await completely killing off the cravings.

halfling

• Stubble
« Reply #276 on: January 17, 2024, 08:40:13 AM »
I would like to lose 20lb by my 30th bday!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 09:09:41 PM by halfling »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #277 on: January 28, 2024, 07:07:55 PM »
@fuzzymath can you share the brand/model of your glucose meter? Thanks...

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #278 on: January 28, 2024, 10:09:32 PM »

The first time I did it, it was a study through Zoe. It included blood and stool work to come up with some food recommendations which I did not find helpful, although the glucose meter was super helpful. Their sensors (freestyle libre) were easy to use but there was no attached transmitter so I had to use a little device with bluetooth to capture data.

The second time I bought 3 months through Signos. I had a worse time with their sensor and attached transmitter (dexcom g6) and issues with customer service. Had one time I injected the sensor, hit a blood vessel and was pouring blood out. Another time I banged my arm into a corner and ripped the thing out. No round the clock support and both times it was like "too bad you wasted a sensor"  after 48 hours of no response from the company. It was irritating because this was all self pay and each sensor was about $50. If you're not diabetic you have to buy them through a service like one of these or others. If you get a bundled deal its about $150 a month for a few months. Many times if you start filling out your info on one of the websites and then stop halfway through they'll eventually send you coupon codes.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #279 on: January 30, 2024, 08:11:29 AM »
Oh crud!  I was down to about 140 and now I've fallen off the wagon hard and am up to I think 147 as of last week.  I'm afraid to weigh myself.  My pants are tight.  Sad about it.

I guess I'm starting over from scratch.  I've been eating lots of crap.  So starting TODAY, right now.  Even though I had a muffin this morning.  Starting now I'm on a healthy eating calorie restricting diet.  Trying to keep it to 1200. 

They made me come back to the office 2 days a week.  Good bc I get out of the house.  Bad bc I want to go out to lunch and eat all the things.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #280 on: January 30, 2024, 10:46:01 PM »
@DeniseNJ - I've decided to join you and others here!

My weight this morning is 74.2 kg, the goal is 68 kg (I'm in Europe for the foreseeable future so kilograms it is :-)  6.2 kg is almost 14 lbs.  So that's the goal.

I don't really have a plan other that eating less and being more active.

Task one is to come with a plan....

ETA: forgot to mention that I've come down with Covid (fully vaccinated and boosted so it's fairly mild but my energy level at the moment is super low) so I'm not likely to increase my activity level until I'm feeling better.  The good news of some sort (haha!) is that I lost my sense of smell and taste and food is just not that appealing at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 10:59:06 PM by ZiziPB »

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #281 on: January 31, 2024, 07:00:37 AM »
Should I get one of those smart watches or whatever that track your sleep and heart rate and exercise and stuff like that?  I think they hook up to your phone too.  I saw some on amazon from like $25 to about $60--I wouldn't spend more than that.  I mean I know I don't need one but it seems like a small price to pay for some motivating info.  I am focused on eating fewer calories, but as I get older I know I have to start moving more, which I really hate.

Any recommendations?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #282 on: January 31, 2024, 07:11:19 AM »
Should I get one of those smart watches or whatever that track your sleep and heart rate and exercise and stuff like that?  I think they hook up to your phone too.  I saw some on amazon from like $25 to about $60--I wouldn't spend more than that.  I mean I know I don't need one but it seems like a small price to pay for some motivating info.  I am focused on eating fewer calories, but as I get older I know I have to start moving more, which I really hate.

Any recommendations?

None of the research I've seen shows that they produce better results for wearers, but it's been awhile since I looked up any research on them.

A simple habit tracker would probably do the trick.

I use an app called "Habits" to check off every day that I do a habit that I want to stay on top of that I can easily lose in the shuffle of day-to-day life.

That said, I wear a Fitbit religiously because I have heart rate issues and it keeps me very aware of the relationship between my symptoms and my HR.

I don't really find the rest of the data useful compared to habit tracking, and I definitely don't find it as motivating.

That's just me though.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #283 on: January 31, 2024, 07:47:54 AM »

Any recommendations?

I've had a Xiaomi one for over 5 years now, and I literally got a new version of it yesterday because the old had some connectivity issues (I went from version 3 to 8).  I'm definitely more motivated to move/walk when I wear it.  It also reminds you to get up and move if you sit for an extended period of time.  I think it was about $40.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #284 on: January 31, 2024, 08:15:56 AM »

Any recommendations?

I've had a Xiaomi one for over 5 years now, and I literally got a new version of it yesterday because the old had some connectivity issues (I went from version 3 to 8).  I'm definitely more motivated to move/walk when I wear it.  It also reminds you to get up and move if you sit for an extended period of time.  I think it was about $40.

Work made us go back into the office 2 days a week.  I sit for so long with minimal movement that my office lights turned off!  At home someone is always asking me for something or at least I'll get out of my chair to put in laundry or walk the dog.  At the office even during down time or lunch time I'm literally just sitting at my desk.  I know I don't actually need the watch but they are really inexpensive.  Used to be you couldn't get a timex for 20 bucks, now for 20 or 30 bucks they check your heart rate, your oxygen, even your REM sleep.  It may get old fast but it's worth a try.  And at least it tells time.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #285 on: January 31, 2024, 08:39:54 AM »
10/13: 201
12/17: 189.7
01/31/2024: 187.4, two days in a row.

Got stuck around 190 for a few weeks.  Moving again.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #286 on: February 02, 2024, 02:05:51 AM »
OK, I'm feeling much better so I think it's time to come with a plan.

I hate counting calories and hate being hungry so I'm trying to do something other than that.

So I'm thinking the following:

- 3 meals in reasonable portions.  No snacks (that's going to be hard!).  Continue with no sugar/no alcohol.
- 30 minutes of exercise 3 times a week (on days that I'm not walking much)

Will try this through the end of next week and reassess.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #287 on: February 02, 2024, 05:38:42 AM »
OK, I'm feeling much better so I think it's time to come with a plan.

I hate counting calories and hate being hungry so I'm trying to do something other than that.

So I'm thinking the following:

- 3 meals in reasonable portions.  No snacks (that's going to be hard!).  Continue with no sugar/no alcohol.
- 30 minutes of exercise 3 times a week (on days that I'm not walking much)

Will try this through the end of next week and reassess.

As someone who has lost a lot of weight and kept it off, this is basically what I did. Although, I always give a new plan at least 6 weeks.

I measured my progress for years because I lost steadily, but veeery slowly, and interestingly, I found that the scale actually reflected the way I had eaten a full two weeks prior.

So if I adjusted my eating according to what the scale said that week, it would be chaos. It took me a solid 6 weeks of data to really assess what a new eating pattern was doing.

The other major benefit of that is it takes about 6 weeks for a behaviour to become a habit. So say I cut sugar and after 6 weeks it had a very, very minor benefit for my weight, at least the no-sugar habit was formed and it was then easy to make another incremental,.permanent change.

But yeah, I went from obese to very lean without counting calories or feeling restricted, and I never had to change my diet for maintenance. I started with maintenance.

My aim from the beginning was to eat the maintenance diet for a lean weight, which obviously cannot maintain an obese weight. I expected to lose weight, but had no idea where it would end.

I decided to accept whatever weight a healthy maintenance diet for a lean person would produce. I expected to probably end up at the top end of a "healthy range" BMI or maybe just a bit above that, and I would have been THRILLED with that at the time. In fact, had I been doing a restrictive diet, that would have been my "goal weight" and I would have transitioned to "maintenance" once I hit it.

Never in a million years did I expect to end up leaner than I was *before* I gained weight in the first place.

But it turned out that slow, systematic, permanent changes over a longer period of time produced slow, permanent changes in my weight.

I did regain a bit, but that's because my legs stopped working, I became radically more sedentary, I was on multiple drugs that cause weight gain (including prednisone) and I was still drinking alcohol at the time, and more than was ideal. Even then, because my eating patterns were so entrenched, I only gained up to about the top of the "healthy range" BMI.

I've since quit alcohol and switched to intermittent fasting, but that's more about repairing my sluggish metabolism. Being so bed ridden, my metabolism was in the toilet and IF repaired it and I've stuck with it since, for the past few years, although I've alternated through many different patterns.

That's my personal experience, maybe some of it will be helpful to you. The 6-week rule alone has helped a lot of people I know be much more successful with losing weight.

IMO, patience is your best friend when losing weight. It's not about being disciplined and restrictive, it's about figuring out the best way to eat for your body so that you can feel satisfied and achieve and maintain an optimal weight, whatever that weight is for you.

But once you figure that routine out and it's easy, the weight just disappears passively on its own. I only ever lost 2lbs/mo, which sounds painfully slow for a lot of people, but when you are enjoying how you are eating and not feeling at all deprived, and just living your life, then time does the heavy lifting for you. You basically don't have to do *anything* and weight loss just happens in the background while you're busy doing other things.

I just ate well, enjoyed my very busy life, and every few months my pants were too big.

FTR, I'm currently on a 6 months break from sugar. I spent half of last year on opioids, which make me crave sugar like crazy, and I developed way too much of a sugar habit while my femur was broken. So I'm currently at week 4, and giving a new habit this long allows me to really keenly observe how my body changes over time to a new habit, and how my brain changes as well. Observing my brain go from expecting sugar, to seeking sugar, to gradually accepting that there is no sugar is always fascinating every time I do it.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #288 on: February 03, 2024, 05:09:24 AM »
@Metalcat - I like what you said about basically eating the maintenance for your goal weight in order to lose weight slowly.  I think it makes a lot of sense. 

In terms of reassessing after a week, I'd like to see if I'm losing any weight doing what I'm doing and if I need to tweak anything, like portion sizes.  Or maybe I'm dying not eating any snacks and I need to add something back to plan :-)

But, yes, I agree that at least 4-6 weeks are needed to start forming a new habit.  I have a good start with the no sugar after almost completely avoiding sweets in January.  I don't seem to miss it that much now.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #289 on: February 03, 2024, 05:38:03 AM »
@Metalcat - I like what you said about basically eating the maintenance for your goal weight in order to lose weight slowly.  I think it makes a lot of sense. 

In terms of reassessing after a week, I'd like to see if I'm losing any weight doing what I'm doing and if I need to tweak anything, like portion sizes.  Or maybe I'm dying not eating any snacks and I need to add something back to plan :-)

But, yes, I agree that at least 4-6 weeks are needed to start forming a new habit.  I have a good start with the no sugar after almost completely avoiding sweets in January.  I don't seem to miss it that much now.

This is just me, but as I said, I was shocked to find out that my weight followed what I ate at least two weeks before, not what I ate that week. Had I tried tweaking based on results from one week, I would have been chasing my tail.

And it's consistent for me. For example, if I overeat on holidays, I always used to be surprised that the scale wouldn't go up very much.

But the I would get back to my regular eating and slowly see a gain over the next two weeks. Likewise, if I reduce my eating, I might see a bit of change one week, because fluctuations are normal, but I'm more likely to see a sudden drop a few weeks later.

I tracked this pattern for 4 years and it was quite consistent. I lose weight in approximately 4-6 wk cycles. So say I ate absolutely consistently for 2 months, during that time I was guaranteed to have a period where my weight stayed roughly around the same number, usually 3-4 weeks, then it would drop quickly over a week, then rise, then stabilize for another 3-4 weeks, lather, rinse, repeat.

If I was consistent, the loss rate month over month was always consistent. But if I "tweaked" my eating based on weekly feedback, I would be working with misleading data.

This is even more critical during the phases of change. Changing your diet is guaranteed to impact your water retention, which is far more likely to impact the scale. So with one week of data, it's really impossible to know how your eating is actually impacting your fat volume.

If you look at the data on my daily weight over 2 months, it looks like chaos, but I had another graph just logging my lowest weights and that graph was a perfectly straight line down with a plateau around Christmas every year because I consistently ate more during the month of December.

It took me about 4-6 months to really refine my eating making incremental habit changes every 4-6 weeks, but because they were always permanent improvements, I lost weight that entire time, and at a faster rate because those upper pounds are low-hanging fruit and a lot of them water retention from poorer diet choices.

Once I hammered out my permanent eating pattern, I just stuck with it, ignored it, and the weight just came off in the background as I lived my life.

Obviously that's my body, and you need to figure out what is best for yours. But I had a lot of "ah ha" moments following the data over years. It radically altered my conceptualization of eating and weight loss once I divorced weekly numbers from weekly eating patterns and realized that they weren't actually related.

I now describe a 4-6 week eating adjustment with the purpose of fat loss as a process of "brewing a loss."

I have to let my body do a chaotic water dance for a few weeks around changing the way I eat until it can finally reveal what the result are. Lol.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 05:42:59 AM by Metalcat »

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #290 on: February 05, 2024, 12:10:53 PM »
Welp, I have osteopenia.  Went to get my dexa scan last Thursday and that night the results were in.  I didn't see them until Friday and had quite the fitful night.  It's not bad but it's still bone loss. I'm 52 F, not sure if I started my menopause phase yet bc I had a hysterectomy a few years back, but kept the ovaries, no no periods but still producing hormones.  Anyway, I just started HRT, not to help with symptoms of menopause, which I don't have, but to help stave off the diseases of menopause, heart disease, Alzheimer's and osteoporosis.  So the only recommendation was calcium and vit D, which I already take, and weight bearing exercises, which I have been woefully remiss and including.

Turns out you can't wait until you get sick to take care of yourself--you have to start now.  So I'm watching calories, changing my eating to include fish, and starting to exercise.  I did my first day of yoga with Adrienne 30 day challenge.  I started squats the other day.  Walked the dogs around the block too.  This is gonna suck but gonna start moving bc I don't want my bones to turn to mush.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #291 on: February 05, 2024, 12:22:37 PM »
Welp, I have osteopenia. Went to get my dexa scan last Thursday and that night the results were in.  I didn't see them until Friday and had quite the fitful night.  It's not bad but it's still bone loss. I'm 52 F, not sure if I started my menopause phase yet bc I had a hysterectomy a few years back, but kept the ovaries, no no periods but still producing hormones.  Anyway, I just started HRT, not to help with symptoms of menopause, which I don't have, but to help stave off the diseases of menopause, heart disease, Alzheimer's and osteoporosis.  So the only recommendation was calcium and vit D, which I already take, and weight bearing exercises, which I have been woefully remiss and including.

Turns out you can't wait until you get sick to take care of yourself--you have to start now.  So I'm watching calories, changing my eating to include fish, and starting to exercise.  I did my first day of yoga with Adrienne 30 day challenge.  I started squats the other day.  Walked the dogs around the block too.  This is gonna suck but gonna start moving bc I don't want my bones to turn to mush.

balls, that sucks, sorry to hear it.

Good luck with the anti-mush-bones process.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #292 on: February 06, 2024, 06:32:52 AM »

LOL, thanks.  I just hate exercise so much.  But going back into the office I was walking to the subway at my normal fast pace and my legs were tired.  Wake up call.  And then the dexa scan.  Yikes.

People, including myself, took so many precautions during covid to stay healthy and not die, but a relatively simple thing like adding exercise to my life was too much.  So I didn't get covid, but my bones turned to swiss cheese.  These past 4 years I spent lying in bed like I'm 103 yrs old, I could have spent getting buff.  What a waste!  Still, I'm starting today, and every day.  Stretching out these sore muscles and doing some squats every few hours.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #293 on: February 06, 2024, 06:45:27 AM »

LOL, thanks.  I just hate exercise so much.  But going back into the office I was walking to the subway at my normal fast pace and my legs were tired.  Wake up call.  And then the dexa scan.  Yikes.

People, including myself, took so many precautions during covid to stay healthy and not die, but a relatively simple thing like adding exercise to my life was too much.  So I didn't get covid, but my bones turned to swiss cheese.  These past 4 years I spent lying in bed like I'm 103 yrs old, I could have spent getting buff.  What a waste!  Still, I'm starting today, and every day.  Stretching out these sore muscles and doing some squats every few hours.

I have a severely atrophied right leg, so I relate on that front. The hip and knee can't take much exercise, so I'm limited to doing tons of very small, gentle exercises every day like tiny, little mini squats, standing on one leg, 5 minutes of stationary bike at a low resistance.

It's exceedingly tedious.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #294 on: February 06, 2024, 10:10:17 AM »

LOL, thanks.  I just hate exercise so much. But going back into the office I was walking to the subway at my normal fast pace and my legs were tired.  Wake up call.  And then the dexa scan.  Yikes.

There's a whole discussion on another thread about exercise "snacks".  You can try to find exercise you like and all, but if you just keep your exercise bouts to 5-10 min or less, then you don't have to like it (like me, when doing dishes, I set a 10 minute timer).

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #295 on: February 10, 2024, 12:54:10 AM »
@DeniseNJ - I've decided to join you and others here!

My weight this morning is 74.2 kg, the goal is 68 kg (I'm in Europe for the foreseeable future so kilograms it is :-)  6.2 kg is almost 14 lbs.  So that's the goal.

I don't really have a plan other that eating less and being more active.

Task one is to come with a plan....

ETA: forgot to mention that I've come down with Covid (fully vaccinated and boosted so it's fairly mild but my energy level at the moment is super low) so I'm not likely to increase my activity level until I'm feeling better.  The good news of some sort (haha!) is that I lost my sense of smell and taste and food is just not that appealing at the moment.

Weight down to 73.2 kg, so down just over 2 lbs.  Got one workout in this week, so not great.  I'm slowly getting used to no snacking but it's really hard!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #296 on: February 10, 2024, 02:17:29 PM »

The first time I did it, it was a study through Zoe. It included blood and stool work to come up with some food recommendations which I did not find helpful, although the glucose meter was super helpful. Their sensors (freestyle libre) were easy to use but there was no attached transmitter so I had to use a little device with bluetooth to capture data.

The second time I bought 3 months through Signos. I had a worse time with their sensor and attached transmitter (dexcom g6) and issues with customer service. Had one time I injected the sensor, hit a blood vessel and was pouring blood out. Another time I banged my arm into a corner and ripped the thing out. No round the clock support and both times it was like "too bad you wasted a sensor"  after 48 hours of no response from the company. It was irritating because this was all self pay and each sensor was about $50. If you're not diabetic you have to buy them through a service like one of these or others. If you get a bundled deal its about $150 a month for a few months. Many times if you start filling out your info on one of the websites and then stop halfway through they'll eventually send you coupon codes.

Thank you for the information. We have diabetes in the extended family (recently diagnosed, A1C test) so I'm concerned. Need to better educate myself and conquer my sweet tooth once and for all.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #297 on: February 16, 2024, 09:39:07 PM »
I've had a good week - got 3 workouts in.  My legs were quite sore after the first one I did on Monday.  It was some random 30 minute workout off YouTube that involved quite a lot of squatting and lunging, but I enjoyed it.  Yoga on Wednesday took care of the sore muscles and then on Friday I did another full body workout from YouTube, this time with dumbbells.  All in all, feeling quite good.  I used to workout regularly but since I retired I've been relying on all the yard and garden work I do (which is fine in spring/summer and early fall but then in winter I'm a total couch potato).  I'm going to try and get into the routine of 3 workouts per week.

Anyway, here is the weight loss summary:

Jan 31 - 74.2 kg
Feb 10 - 73.2
Feb 17 - 72.7

So another pound down.  I've tried not eating after 6 pm and it seems to work well for me.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #298 on: February 17, 2024, 09:13:13 AM »
I put on some weight over the past year. I tend to binge eat chocolate if there's too much of it in the house :) Between that, all-inclusive resort vacation (those breakfasts!), and other stuff, the weight crept up.

Three weeks ago I started back on my weight loss plan. I eat three meals a day between 7am and 3pm four days a week, and on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I only eat breakfast, then fast for 24 hours. I'm down 10.5lbs in three weeks. Another 12lbs to go to get to my happy-with-it weight.

For exercise, I'm cycling in the basement mostly (it's cold outside!) on Zwift.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #299 on: February 17, 2024, 11:04:32 AM »

Thank you for the information. We have diabetes in the extended family (recently diagnosed, A1C test) so I'm concerned. Need to better educate myself and conquer my sweet tooth once and for all.
Just barging in here...  I use a Freestyle Libre 3 continuous glucose monitor.  My insurance doesn't cover it, but I can get a pair of 14 day sensors for $75 at Harris Teeter (Kroger subsidiary).  You can also get one sensor free from Abbott.  A CGM is eye opening, showing you the effects of food and exercise at different times of the day.

Abbott also has great customer service.  I had to remove a sensor a day early for an MRI, so they sent me a new one.  I've had them fall off several times, fill out a form, and again, they send me a new one.  I've bought sensor covers from Amazon which do really help keep them on, though.

If you just want a finger stick meter (and your insurance doesn't cover it), I have heard that Walmart's ReliOn brand is fine, and I see they have a meter with 50 strips for $20 right now.

Also, anyone who's diabetic will probably benefit from the TYCOD podcast, and if you're a T2, the episode on the science of type 2 has tons of useful info (there's also one on T1).