Author Topic: Lose weight starting TODAY!!  (Read 33101 times)

Askel

• Pencil Stache
Re: Lose weight starting TODAY!!
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2022, 11:03:54 AM »
Hi guys.  Still on the weight loss train.  If you've fallen off, you can get right back on today so go ahead and apply some of those mustachian principles that have served yo well to weight loss.  Remember millionaires are made ten bucks at a time. So even a pound or two can start your journey.

So how are you celebrating milestones?  Not "rewarding" yourself since your weight loss is its own reward.  But are you celebrating goals or intervals?  How so?

My excuse: COVID knocked me off the train. :/   But not nearly as much as I would have expected so am still making (slightly delayed) progress towards my goal.   

I've been rewarding myself lately with some absolutely brutal all day backcountry ski trips that leave me barely able to work afterward I'm so tired. :D 

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2022, 01:16:15 PM »
I'm still exactly the same. I've been doing IF for a couple weeks now (16/8), I'm skipping one meal a day so definitely eating less. I'm also consistent on strength training and added in more yoga and some more walking. Haven't been running but it's pretty icy out so that may be on hold for a bit. I'll just keep on keeping on and hope eventually eating less and moving more pays off.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2022, 06:24:57 AM »
I'm still exactly the same. I've been doing IF for a couple weeks now (16/8), I'm skipping one meal a day so definitely eating less. I'm also consistent on strength training and added in more yoga and some more walking. Haven't been running but it's pretty icy out so that may be on hold for a bit. I'll just keep on keeping on and hope eventually eating less and moving more pays off.

I've also still been doing 16/8 IF and find it makes my stomach just feel better even if I'm not restricting calories per se.  I've plateaued around 145 which is a comfortable and healthy weight for me, debating whether to lose another 5 pounds or not, but if I do it will be more slowly anyway, since I've started adding back more calories.  Have been eating healthy meals at home though - only had takeout once in the past 6 weeks or so.  Omicron wave and winter means no restaurants so it's been a good time to experiment in the kitchen.

^^^^^As for icy roads, I highly, HIGHLY recommend getting some traction devices so you can continue to run during the winter.  Makes a huge difference for me in terms of how I feel about winter - just makes me feel happier and less of a shut in.  I have snowtrax, yaktraks, and kahtoola microspikes which I use for various road and trail conditions.  Since the blizzard this weekend I have gone on a couple satisfying runs in bad road conditions and am looking forward to my run today, too.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2022, 08:09:22 AM »

With all love and encouragement, I must say, hope is not a plan.  You know this from your mustachian journey, and I know it's just a turn of phrase, and that you have a plan and are sticking with it, but do get that thought out of your head.  If you are following your plan and it is isn't working for you, you know that hope is not going to make it work. Just a gentle face-tap, bc I know it's not easy.

You may be intermittent fasting, but how do you really know you are consuming fewer calories?  I know fewer calories does not automatically work for each and every single person, but that's not a reason not to do it since it does work for almost every person and will probably work for you so is a great place to start.  Write down what you are actually eating and the calorie count, then you'll know for sure.  You'll have the data to make an informed decision about how to proceed.

I bought cookies for the kids (they begged me).  As I was making dinner (waiting for the microwave and toaster oven to ding) I noticed the serving size was 4 cookies and the calories per serving was 150.  That's 38 calories per cookie.  I had one and wrote it in my book.  And I realized that normally I'd have 4 or 5 cookies just waiting for dinner to be ready and not even think about it, or crackers, or an apple or banana.  I'd use a few hundred calories per day not even noticing it.  They add up.  Now that I have 1200 calories to "spend" I can't afford to waste them on handfuls of stuff I won't even notice.  If I add craisons to my salad, I write that down and add in the calories.  A big salad with craisons, apples, dressing, mandarin oranges, avocado, some goat cheese, etc. can be 500 calories, even though it's all good for you, it's still not "free."  My point here is try writing down your calories and see if it makes a difference.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2022, 08:22:05 AM »
I missed this when it first started, but I'm in.  I need to lose...a lot...of weight.  I've done it before.  Hopefully it will be like quitting smoking and the third time is the one that will stick.  I've been working out pretty much daily.  We found an elliptical on FB marketplace for like 1/6 of the retail price.  I'm up to 30 minutes a day on it and logging calories again.  So far I'm down almost 9 lbs.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2022, 08:27:49 AM »
I have problems with excessive snacking and I haven’t lost more than a pound, trying to decrease carbs this week and then try fasting again. I also bought keto strips, if I can get into keto, I am such a carb eater I probably won’t be able to do keto but spending money on something does motivate me.
Cheap gym membership keep popping up but no way I am going to go to a gym consistently especially with Covid.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2022, 07:03:15 AM »
I'm 15 lbs down from when we started at the end of Nov., about 10 weeks.  Started at 172 and am 157 now, so 22 more lbs to 135.  It came off quick at first but has been a pound a week for a couple of months now.

Still sedentary, especially as the weather has turned, but still writing down everything and keeping to about 1200 calories per day.

One other mustachian lesson I applied to my weight loss journey--I found a good hot cocoa with only 70 calories rather than the 160 I've been having occasionally.  I don't generally like to drink calories but sometimes in the evening when I have the calories left over, I do like a hot cocoa.  But as with buying stuff, if you can get pretty much the same thing for a much lower price with a little research, then why buy the higher priced thing just bc it's readily available.  I shop Aldi, and the coco is ok, but the name brands are better if a bit more expensive and the same calories.  The regular market had a few kinds but nothing with much fewer calories and they are more expensive.  So I looked online.  I got a tub of Swiss Miss no sugar added for 70 calories.  So with a tiny bit of effort I save almost 100 calories.  Every little bit helps.

Any other foods with much lower calorie counterparts that don't cost a fortune you can recommend?  It has to taste good though or it's not worth eating--I'm trying to live my best life here.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2022, 07:10:46 AM »
I also love a good cup of hot cocoa. I can only drink it in the afternoon as the caffeine keeps me awake.
I buy Hershey’s 100 percent cocoa like baking chocolate powder. Mix some with boiling water, add monk fruit sweetener then the rest almond milk no sugar added. A drop of cream also.
This recipe has about 50 calories and 5 carbs. With out the cream it is only ok. Less sweet than the instant mixes but I do enjoy it.

You are doing great Denise !

I am not in keto but have lost over a pound this week and more importantly my cravings have decreased. For me carbs make me hungry and I want to snack all day.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2022, 07:23:47 PM »
Congrats on the loss, @DeniseNJ!

I've done 90 minutes (or more) of cardio every day since November 1st. I can tell such a big difference in the overall shape of my body. I gained a little bit over the holidays, but have lost that now & am making progress. My plan is to continue to go slow & steady, losing 1/2 lb a week. I track my calories & am around 1500/day (average). IF has been harder with the longer workouts, so I try to just fast from dinner (say, 6:30 pm) to 9:00 am or so the next day.

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2022, 08:11:54 AM »
Initial goal: Accomplished. 

I wanted to hit mid 260s by February and have recently seen 265 on the scale along with fairly consistent weights well below 270.   

But really this was just a proxy for getting in good enough shape to do the uphill/downhill ski race at a local ski festival this weekend.  I successfully completed it and had a good time staying solidly midpack the entire way.   Last year I did the much shorter version and only managed to beat a guy in a porcupine costume who may have been slightly inebriated.  Although this year I was narrowly beat by a guy in a moose costume. :D

Looking for 250s on the scale now. Time frame kinda depends on when I get back to near 100% commuting on the bike, which is somewhat weather dependent.   Sometimes we're lucky and BOOM IT IS SPRING right in mid-March. But it's not unusual for winter to drag on through April either.  I can still ski and continue to build fitness, but the number on the scale is a little harder to budge without the big miles on the bike.   

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2022, 07:46:02 AM »
Askel, that's wonderful!  Congrats!

I'm still going at 1 pound per week of weight loss.  1200 calories per day, writing down everything. Every week, I say I've got to add exercise and every week I don't do it.  That's disappointing.

Even with the weight loss I still think I look exactly the same.  I see no difference in the mirror at all.  I'm down 17 lbs from 172 to 155, female, ave frame, 5'4".  I should have taken before pics, but I can't bear to have such fat pics.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 11:18:10 AM by DeniseNJ »

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2022, 10:05:57 AM »
It seems that I'm down 12 lbs since New Year's.  I discovered that I shouldn't have mentioned that to my mother-in-law.  Not two days after she found out, that woman sent a cherry pie to my house. 

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2022, 05:44:55 AM »
Hello friends.  It's been a little while.  How's everyone doing?  I'm still losing a pound a week now and am down 17 lbs in the past 12 weeks.  Still can't bring myself to exercise or even go for walks.  I'm really tired.  I went to bed at 7 last night and I'm dragging this morning even after 11 hours of sleep. And I'm sore and achy from sitting in this chair for 2 yrs.

I'm starting my yoga journey today bc I feel awful.  And I don't look or feel any different than I did 17 pounds ago.  I mean I guess I must be smaller but I seem to look exactly the same.

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2022, 08:46:17 AM »
February has been a slog. I seem to be going in the wrong direction this month weight-wise, and I've twinged my back twice now. I'm thankful it's the shortest month of the year - that's what I'm telling myself - so I can turn this around in March. Obviously I will try to put better things in place now, but the first half of the month might balance out what I am able to do.

ExShredder89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2022, 12:39:12 PM »
Checking in!

My stats:
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 195

I do a morning weigh-in daily and plug it into the Apple health app (before I realized that they have it, it was Evernote, and obviously pencil and paper would work just as well) was at 200; 195 isn't a whole lot down for my height and weight, but absent of any health emergency I'll take any consistent progress in the right direction, no matter how small.

Post-college, my thinnest was around 165-170 at 23-24; I was running regularly but not doing any strength training, not even push-ups and bodyweight squats. And from everything I've read/heard, both strength and cardiovascular exercise are needed. I am a professional desk jockey, so I need to find time for both.

I would like to hit 175-185; my lowest weight since 22-23 was around 182 summer 2020, I felt good, liked how I looked, and I got a lot of positive comments from my girlfriend. It's also a pretty reasonable weight for someone of my height who has a bit of muscle, IMO. Never put up really impressive numbers on the barbell (225 squat, 185 bench, 305 deadlift are about my all time maximums) but I like strength training.

This permanent/semi-permanent WFH from COVID means I walk less; used to get at least 15,000 steps in every day, just from walking to/from the subway, to the supermarket, and all that jazz. I have started biking more but overall it's down. I also have gotten really sloppy with my eating habits. Bike to the supermarket? Go ahead and buy some ice cream and eat the whole pint in one go; you did a whopping 25 minutes!!! of bicycling. Trying hard to stick to salads, eggs, and oatmeal; cheaper and I feel better after eating a salad than I do after guzzling a bag of chips.

My present strength training is mostly kettlebell stuff in my apartment, though I have a gym membership through work. It's more efficient to just do a kettlebell workout in my apartment right before/after work, though.

For cardio... well, right now it's really damn cold out and my conditioning sucks; I'm glad to do long walks with some layering, but my apartment building has a gym, so I'm trying to do an hour LISS exertion on one of the pieces of cardio equipment in there. I usually bring my headphones and/or my Switch; I'm a big old dork I know, but at least I'm an active big old dork. Once the ice is clear and the days are longer, I want to start hitting the local bike trails regularly again.

Apologies for the essay! I'll try and check in next week.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2022, 05:27:37 AM »
I had been doing good up until last week.  Then the dog got sick and ultimately had to be put to sleep so I spent several days not being able to go into the room where the elliptical was (it's in "his room").  I got back on track yesterday, just in time for my birthday dinner this upcoming Saturday (yummy Thai food, so at least it's vegetarian). 

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2022, 06:51:27 AM »
Once the ice is clear and the days are longer, I want to start hitting the local bike trails regularly again.

Studded tires and headlights, man! Winter riding can be a hoot.   

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2022, 07:12:41 AM »
I had been doing good up until last week.  Then the dog got sick and ultimately had to be put to sleep so I spent several days not being able to go into the room where the elliptical was (it's in "his room").  I got back on track yesterday, just in time for my birthday dinner this upcoming Saturday (yummy Thai food, so at least it's vegetarian).

I am so sorry about your dog. I don't think people without dogs understand how devastating this can be--I'm sure I didn't before I had a dog.  Now I can't imagine anything happening to her.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2022, 09:04:50 AM »

I am so sorry about your dog. I don't think people without dogs understand how devastating this can be--I'm sure I didn't before I had a dog.  Now I can't imagine anything happening to her.

Thanks.  I have lost dogs before, but this one seems so much worse.  He was my heart dog.

ExShredder89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2022, 10:16:08 AM »
Studded tires and headlights, man! Winter riding can be a hoot.   

You know, you're right! My first bike was a road bike with skinny tires and no suspension, but after it was stolen I got a bike with front suspension and thicker tires that handle dirt, gravel, and messier roads well, and it's a much more comfortable ride. I always think of the MMM article on winter biking, but never do what he suggests. Nothing like an invigorating cold winter breeze... with earmuffs.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2022, 10:49:43 AM »
I've been eating lots of canned soup lately--it's high in salt but that's fine for me.  I put it in a big bowl and add in any frozen veg I have, broccoli, riced or whole cauliflower, peas, and a handful of raw sliced mushrooms, and pop in microwave.  I end up with a giant bowl of "soup" and just one dirty bowl and spork. Even though it's the same veg it's different soup so lots of variety.  And mushrooms, broccoli, and cauliflower have very few calories.  I guess you could also just add all this and a bag of brown rice to broth.

Lost another pound this week.  So slow but up to 18 lbs lost in the past 3 months.  19 pounds more to go to 135 lbs.  I go back into the office in 7 weeks, but I should be able to fit in my work clothes by then.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2022, 06:09:25 AM »
This week I'm down TWO pounds.  That's 20 lbs total.  It took 3 1/3 months.  I have 17 to go.  Still weighing, measuring, and keeping calories to 1200 and writing everything down.  But at 20 lbs lost I can finally see a little difference.  I seem to look a little smaller.  However, my body is still exactly the same, just a little smaller.  I really have to exercise.  But I just hate it so much!  Even walking.  I just really prefer to sit on my butt even though I feel crappy.  Ugh.  I need to get out more.

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2022, 06:38:22 AM »
Whenever I lack the motivation to get outdoors for some exercise, I make it a point to at least make myself go outdoors.  Even if I just sit on my butt under a tree or in a chair outside, I'll feel better than if I had stayed inside.  But more often than not, once I make the effort to get outside, at least some exercise will occur.

Still holding steady.  Can see the light at the end of the winter tunnel now, although it's still quite dim. Formulating a new plan of attack on the diet to go with the changing of the seasons.  Need to start working the intake side of the equation a little more and phase out those winter comfort foods.     

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2022, 06:51:26 AM »
@DeniseNJ You are doing great!
I tried Keto, lost 3 pounds, came off keto gained 4 pounds. Back to the drawing board. Mentally I am not in a great spot to loose weight, but I may try keto again this week. With keto I find that I loose my cravings for food and it supresses my hunger so I eat less and can fast much more easily.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2022, 06:09:33 AM »
Joining in with a modest goal of losing 10 lbs, as my "fat" clothes no longer fit and I can't even sleep comfortably because the waistband of my pajamas are too tight.

I was doing well running every other day starting last December, and even lost four pounds, but I have since gained them back with another pound for company.  Also, though my legs are now strong and I'm not puffing as much (which is great) this has done nothing for my midriff and multiple chin. So I guess I will try intermittent fasting, perhaps the 5:2 plan, with some portion control on the regular eating days.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2022, 08:31:41 AM »
Joining in. I started my "stop eating crap" diet in late January,  but just found this thread.

My initial plan was to vigilantly stay under 1200 calories and go low carb and walk 3 miles a day. I lost 8 pounds in 4 weeks. I also had zero energy, so I decided I needed to bump up calories and carbs a bit...or stop walking.

I really want to look and feel stronger and healthier, so skipping exercise seemed counterintuitive. I bumped calories up to 1300, and I walk for an hour after lunch so I have some calories to burn. Since that change, I've lost weight much more slowly but I no longer feel weak and tired.

It seems the last 5 to 10 pounds are tougher to lose than the first 10. I need to figure out strategies to keep up the momentum.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2022, 11:15:13 AM »
I joined Weight Watchers in late August on a 6-month digital-only plan deal with the intent to lose 20 lbs, switched over to a 3-month in-person deal in late February, and hit my goal weight this morning. Now I just need to keep tabs on myself to maintain the weight loss.

I don't think it's necessary for everyone to join a program like this. I'm dealing with a ton of organizational stress—election to president of a local nonprofit last summer, promotion to senior manager at work early this year—and needed the external accountability. But I think anyone attempting weight loss would benefit from aspects of the program such as moving one's body, keeping a food journal, measuring foods to learn realistic portions, eating more slowly and setting mealtimes to recognize hunger and fullness cues, and prioritizing less processed foods high in protein and/or fiber. Low-carb may work for some people, but it isn't necessary for everyone (it really, really doesn't work for me).

I also note that the first 10 lbs came off a lot more quickly than the last 10, which came off very slowly during the period that included Thanksgiving, Christmas, a bout of COVID, and then the highest-stress 10-week period I've experienced since my last semester of grad school. Frankly, I'm amazed that I lost weight at all during that period.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2022, 07:23:31 AM »
Congrats OtherJen.  That's awesome!  So happy for you!!

I am ten pounds away from my goal.  Start in late Nov, twenty weeks ago, and have lost 26 lbs.  Yes the first ten were easy but it's been just a lb a week since.  It's slogging along slowly but I'm at 145 now.  It sucks that it will take another ten weeks to lose ten pounds so I'm trying focus on c caring for my skin so I don't look like a deflated balloon at the end of it. At 51, my skin won't bounce back from yo-yo dieting like it used to.

I did it by writing down everything I ate and keeping calories to 1200.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2022, 08:07:48 AM »
I'll throw my hat in the ring.

I started IF and cutting carbs 43 days ago. I'm doing 19/5 IF and eating lunch and dinner cutting out all the carbs I can find. Not doing true Keto since I'm not tracking macros or anything like that, just trying to keep carbs less than 50 grams a day.

I've dropped about 15 pounds from 268 to 252, shooting for 200. Losing about a pound a week, but need to add in more exercise now that the weather is turning nicer.

I'm using the Fastic app which helps me keep track.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2022, 09:59:41 AM »
I've been doing well with working out but not so well with eating, and as a result, haven't lost any weight (although I do feel like my body is looking a little less flabby from the working out).

So I'm doing a 40-day "clean eating challenge" with my husband, starting today. No refined sugar, no white flour, no alcohol, no fast food, no highly processed foods. I'm hoping this will help me reset my eating and get back to healthier habits.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2022, 01:25:27 PM »
I'm happy to report that I'm down just under 30 lbs as of a few days ago.  Still have at least that much to go, but I feel so much better already.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2022, 12:43:00 PM »
Check in:  Still killing it!  I was only down 4 lbs in the last 5 weeks but I' down a total of 28 lbs in 22 weeks, end of Nov.  I am 9 lbs away from my goal weight of 135.

I still haven't exercised at all.  I feel like a slug but I'm just so lazy, like deep-down-don't-want-to-get-off-the-sofa lazy.  Result is I look exactly the same, just smaller.  Still got the flabby gut, soft body, jiggle in my walk.  My clothes will fit but I'm not reaping any benefits of being more "fit" since I'm not.  Must exercise.  I just hate it so much.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2022, 01:38:55 PM »
If you're still only consuming 1200 calories/day, exercise will be extremely challenging. I need to bump up calories a bit to have the energy to exercise.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: May 03, 2022, 06:24:30 AM »
If you're still only consuming 1200 calories/day, exercise will be extremely challenging. I need to bump up calories a bit to have the energy to exercise.
True, that if I exercised I'd need more calories than the 1200 I get now.  But I don't want to increase my calories hoping I get more energy to exercise.  I mean I ate plenty before and didn't want to exercise so I don't see myself full of energy eating 200 more calories.  Frankly I'm just scared to add any calories.

But of course, without exercise I look exactly the same just smaller.  Still the same flabby stomach and soft bod, just in smaller clothes. Which is depressing.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2022, 10:33:31 AM »
True, that if I exercised I'd need more calories than the 1200 I get now.  But I don't want to increase my calories hoping I get more energy to exercise.  I mean I ate plenty before and didn't want to exercise so I don't see myself full of energy eating 200 more calories.  Frankly I'm just scared to add any calories.

But of course, without exercise I look exactly the same just smaller.  Still the same flabby stomach and soft bod, just in smaller clothes. Which is depressing.

There isn't anything you like? Dancing? Hula hooping? Splashing around in the pool? Keep your focus on finding something, anything you like and then let that lead the way to a habit and then you can build up to cross training that supports the thing you like.

Runrooster

• Bristles
« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2022, 11:07:45 AM »
DeniseNJ,  I forget how tall you are, but 9 pounds can really make a difference in how you look.  Or you may have to drop more.
I know for me, I can go from looking fluffy at 135 but toned at 120.
You may need new clothes to show it.  You're right that the basic body shape doesn't change.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2022, 12:40:08 PM »
DeniseNJ,  I forget how tall you are, but 9 pounds can really make a difference in how you look.  Or you may have to drop more.
You may need new clothes to show it.  You're right that the basic body shape doesn't change.

I'm 5'4" and going for 135.  Reason being that I'm 51.  I went down to 130 a few years ago and my face looked kind of drawn.  And I haven't gotten any younger in the last few yrs.  You know that expression:  At some point a woman has to decide whether she wants a tight face of a tight butt.  Less than 135 and I fear I'll be dragging my face on the ground like I'm dragging my butt now.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2022, 02:51:33 PM »

I'm 5'4" and going for 135.  Reason being that I'm 51.  I went down to 130 a few years ago and my face looked kind of drawn.  And I haven't gotten any younger in the last few yrs.  You know that expression:  At some point a woman has to decide whether she wants a tight face of a tight butt.  Less than 135 and I fear I'll be dragging my face on the ground like I'm dragging my butt now.

I'd never heard that expression before, but it definitely tracks. I have chosen my butt. Reason being, tight butt also implies/includes tight legs and tight(er) stomach. It's a simple matter of choosing my best features. My face is okay, but I'm not stunningly beautiful or anything. Whereas my legs and my ass are more "above average" than that.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2022, 11:34:08 AM »

I'd never heard that expression before, but it definitely tracks. I have chosen my butt. Reason being, tight butt also implies/includes tight legs and tight(er) stomach. It's a simple matter of choosing my best features. My face is okay, but I'm not stunningly beautiful or anything. Whereas my legs and my ass are more "above average" than that.
I'm 51 and I've got neither, sigh. 

Or, I have a great butt/ muscled, but with fluff on top...my face isn't drawn yet, but it's also nothing to write home about.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #139 on: July 26, 2022, 07:20:43 AM »
Jumping in here. I've started this same journey. Just different factors holding my attention. In the past my motivation to lose weight came and went. This time its for real. I have alot to lose. Both parents recently diagnosed with diabetes. Both eat fairly healthy, just runs in the family. Also, I'm in my 50s. No point in making good choices all these years and not living long enough to enjoy them - wife, kids, family and friends, our home, etc.

Mostly fasting from 8PM to noon the following day. Lots of salad type lunches. Sedentary job much of the time, other times I'm busy-busy-busy doing manual labor.

Not a fitness guy, never have been but maybe this is shifting. I do like to be outdoors, I do work around the house and on our cars. Getting up and down from under a car is good exercise. ;)

Only 12 lbs down but using what I've learned here in the forums I think I can make lasting changes. Already notice improved energy.

Aardvark

• Stubble
« Reply #140 on: July 26, 2022, 08:03:19 AM »
I'm gonna drop this here for anybody interested in a deep dive into the mystery of obesity (What causes it, and how to overcome it - spoiler: calories eaten and burnt doesn't explain everything). I enjoyed the read, hope it's insightful to some others.

https://slimemoldtimemold.com/tag/a-chemical-hunger/

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: July 26, 2022, 08:45:29 AM »
I'm gonna drop this here for anybody interested in a deep dive into the mystery of obesity (What causes it, and how to overcome it - spoiler: calories eaten and burnt doesn't explain everything). I enjoyed the read, hope it's insightful to some others.

https://slimemoldtimemold.com/tag/a-chemical-hunger/

I never understand what people mean by calories eaten and burned doesn't explain everything. How can it not?

Many things influence how many calories we eat, and many things influence how those calories are burned, but at the end of the day, it's the net that determines weight gain or weight loss.

What isn't true is that a diet of 1500 calories of nutrient dense food will produce the same results as a diet of 1500 calories of donuts. How calories are consumed, what nutrients they contain, when they are eaten, all of these things will affect how they are processed.

Also, what that article talks about is lithium as an obesogens, and there are countless more obesogens in the environment than just lithium.

Even if obesogens are enormously responsible for obesity, there still needs to be a net excess of calories to build the fat. Whether this is done by driving appetite, lowering metabolism, and preferentially storing calories as fat, at the end of the day, it still represents a net excess of intake over energy spent.

I went through a phase where I couldn't lose weight, even eating way too little food. This didn't mean that I defied the CICO balance, it means that the CO part of the equation had dropped so dramatically that I couldn't lower my intake enough, because as I kept lowering it, my metabolism would lower right along with it. As I ate less, I burned less, and I became exhausted and lethargic. My body just wouldn't burn enough to create a net loss of fat, at least not much of one.

As for understanding hunger, I wouldn't consider this a deep dive. If you have never learned about obesogens, then it's interesting to see stats about lithium, but it's a pretty limited view.

Also, the current state of neuroscience research on hunger is pretty interesting. The working theory right now is that hunger has nothing to do with the need for food. That eating is a traumatic experience for the body and the sensations that people perceive as "hunger" are actually just the body preparing it's system to receive and digest the noxious food it's expecting to receive.

Ironically, this can create a feedback loop that generates intense, constant hunger sensations in people who over eat. It's not a need, it's an anticipation, a bracing for the feed.

Which is why it feels like a need to eat. If the system preps itself and doesn't get the food, it's uncomfortable.

This is just a working theory, but my source is Pinel and Barnes 2021, who are pretty much the go to authorities on the current state of neuroscience research.

It would also account for why so many of us who do intermittent fasting experience so little "hunger" once we adapt to rarely eating. I even move my eating time constantly so that my body never overly anticipates food.

On the flip side, it also explains why so many fasters have to be careful what they first eat. There are countless stories of bad bathroom situations for someone breaking a fast with too much of the wrong kind of food. Without the system prepped for the trauma of food, it can react kind of violently.

I have a condition called MCAS, which is basically just an enhanced reaction to foreign substances. So for me, this food as a traumatic insult to the body has always been obvious. I basically mount an allergic-type reaction to all food, with milder reactions to some foods and harsher reactions to others.

But over my years of studying this kind of thing, I've come to realize that most people have some degree of suboptimal response to most foods. Eating floods people with happy brain chemicals, but their actual digestive sensations after eating are rarely great, unless they've eaten exactly the right kind of minimally challenging foods for their particular bodies.

Basically, most people feel kind of crappy after eating, to some degree.

So understanding that the urge to eat has little to nothing to do with a need for calories is a HUGE paradigm shift in the compendium of scientific knowledge, it's just not one that disseminating very well because it's so counter intuitive.

Now, understanding how obesogens modulate the urge to eat AND the processing of calories??? THAT is a big ol' monster of a challenge to tackle. Not least of which because it's virtually impossible to study effectively... we're not allowed to do that kind of research on people anymore thanks to the Nazis.

The more I deep dive into obesity, the more I conclude that it's simultaneously very difficult to understand and very simple to understand.

What's simple is that industrial processes have altered the food we eat and the way out bodies process it in ways that promote obesity, and are very difficult to stop.

What's also simple is that, like your link showed, the way to not be obese is to eat nutrient dense foods, be active, and expose yourself to as little industrial processing chemicals as possible. It's impossible to know all of the sources of these obesogens, but your article pointed to a pretty decent strategy: live where the lean people are.

What's complicated is how the fuck to change any of this on a populational scale.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #142 on: July 26, 2022, 11:17:13 AM »
Here's the thing:  I think too many ppl get hung up on the exceptions. When you tell ppl that calories in/calories out is mostly what matters, to eat a variety of whole actual foods (not processed crap), mostly plants, not too much, to move your body a bit, and just basic stuff, they point out how that doesn't work for everybody.  True it doesn't work for every single person on the planet, but try it bc if it works for 99% of ppl, it will likely work for you.  Everybody thinks they are the exception.  And it's true that a lot goes into metabolism and the human body is a very complex organism.  But if you've got 50 pounds to lose, barring some kind of illness, you are likely eating too much crap.

So just start there.  Stop eating so much crap. Processed junk non-foods, sugar, white starches, fried foods, candy, chips, etc.  When you get down to the last 10 you can start looking into all the other stuff, meal plans, keto, fasting, etc., but for the first 50 pounds, most ppl, almost all overweight/obese ppl, will start to lose quite a bit of weight if they cut the crap and limit calories to a reasonable amount.  What is reasonable? Well, there's the rub. Start with anything less than what you're eating now, but not less than 1200.

BTW, I've lost about 30 pounds but can't shake the last 7 to save my life.  I've lost my calorie counting mojo and for 3 months have been at 142.  Trying to get to 135 but laying off the crap long term is soooo hard, so go ahead and ignore my advise.  :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 11:19:49 AM by DeniseNJ »

lifeisshort123

• Bristles
« Reply #143 on: July 26, 2022, 05:28:41 PM »
Working on this as well…. Am down 7 pounds so far… have another about 10-15 I would like to lose.  I just find so many clothes barely fit right now…

Cutting lots of things out of my diet and working on keto and not eating after 7.  Hoping that it will get me the results I need.  Cutting any alcohol at least at first is also very good for the wallet, as is not eating snacks.  Snacks are so expensive, and those products seem to be the worst in terms of inflation.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #144 on: July 26, 2022, 08:18:14 PM »
I’m down 15 pounds as of today. The first 12 wer almost entirely from limiting my intake a bit and cutting out processed crap. The last stage has really been helped along by exercise. I’m sort of hoping to lose another 8 pounds, but realistically would be happy with 3 to 5. So it’s going well, is what I would say…. And whole foods are good!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2022, 05:25:38 AM »
Oh! I guess I never updated on my progress.

Well my goal was to get back down to my ideal weight by my 40th birthday and I hit that target several months before deadline. BMI is now just over 21, and I'm back in my crop tops and size 2 jeans just in time for summer.

Still doing IF because I absolutely love it and will probably do it forever. My eating window is anywhere from 1 to 8 hours, but typically is 2-4hrs most days. It feels pretty effortless at this point, coming up on a year.

I am SO HAPPY to not be carrying around that prednisone weight anymore, and to have my metabolism fixed. I was prepared to accept that 40 meant not being the same size that I was at 16, and my metabolism slowing down, especially after everything my poor body has been through, but I wasn't exactly happy about it.

Now I've started my 40s at my absolutely ideal weight, feeling energized and amped for what will be a hell of a decade.

And thank god for that, because out here in Newfoundland, I've discovered a local treat called toutons, which is basically bread dough fried in a cast iron pan. It's so so good, and I have eaten A LOT of it, plus many, many lobsters.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2022, 09:50:33 AM »
I've lost 13 more pounds since my update on March 6...so 21 pounds since I started watching calories and carbs in late January.

I haven't had to pay close attention to calories lately. I suspect I'm eating 1600-1800 calories daily, and I exercise an hour each day. My energy is great, and I'm still losing a pound or two a month.

I've dropped below my initial target of 125 and am hoping to hit 120 by my milestone birthday in a couple months. That's probably my ideal weight, so the plan will be to stop losing at that point. Like Malcat, I had accepted that I was just going to carry extra weight as I aged. It's such a relief that my metabolism has "stepped up" and proved me wrong.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 09:54:38 AM by Omy »

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2022, 07:57:24 AM »
Down to 140 lbs finally.  Five more to go.  I've been bouncing between 142 and 145 for at least 3 months.  I lost about 30 counting calories for about 4 or 5 months but that got old.  It works like crazy but it's tiresome.  So I started intermittent fasting, which I was really doing anyway as I don't eat breakfast but just coffee with milk.  So I dropped the milk.  I swear I never thought I could drink black coffee unless I was in prison.  The first 3 sips are awful.  After that it's not too bad.

So I'm having something small at noon and then dinner at 3 or 4.  Which is really what I've been doing but junk had started slipping into my diet so I've just been conscious of not eating crap.  So, no crap all week and a few pounds fell off.  Just 5 more pounds!!!  I can't believe I started at the end of Nov. at over 170.

Equally important I've been making a huge effort to keep my skin from hanging off of me as I lost the fat.  Sunscreen every day, rain or shine, indoors or out.  Tretinoin at night. Vitamin C +E + ferulic acid each morning. Daily LED mask. Monthly at-home TCA peels from Platinum skin care (highly recommend).  And I just added Newa, a radio frequency device.  It was on sale for $200. But at least my old clothes fit again.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2022, 09:40:29 AM »
Congratulations... I'm still following your lead. Still seeing new lower numbers on the scale. That is as scientific as I am making it. ;) I have a long, long way to go but as long as those numbers keep dropping a couple pounds per week, I'll be happy. I figure it'll be a couple of years before I get to where I want to be.

Going slow to allow my body (appetite) to adapt and because I want to really cement these dietary changes into the rest of my life. I've witnessed other people struggle and yo-yo. I'd be like them if I didn't go slow.

I'm also not focusing on elaborate dietary changes and fitness routines. I know I would not stick with it. I like to move but not in gymnasiums. I want to hike, work in my shop, go for a bike ride, go paddling, etc. All the weight loss articles I read seem to involve a person on a quest to be highly fit by spending hours in a gym daily doing all the things. That is not and will not ever be me. They either also seem to rely on a highly specialized meal plan or their dietary changes are not mentioned at all which is frustrating b/c I want to learn.

Intermittent fasting was the right solution for me. No food (or minimize) after 8PM, not until noon the following day. I feel much better most days.

Have long been a morning drinker of black coffee with just a little sugar. Generally eat light for lunch unless coworkers want to do lunch but I limit that for cost and dietary reasons. maybe once every couple of months.

Normally a salad for lunch. Not strictly regulating the evening meal or snacks. Reasonable portions. More ice water, no sweet drinks. I used to be a daily sugary carbonated drink kind of guy. Now I save that for special occasions. Was odd the first time I realized I could not remember when I last had a Coke when it used to be a daily thing. Now it tastes odd and I don't want it as much. Drinking soda with meals led to drinking too much soda.   

Sitting here this morning thinking my body feels better. My clothes fit a little better. Definitely using the extra energy to get things done.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2022, 09:50:47 AM »
I lost Alot also, down to 120.8  all last week, which is a new low for me. Looking muscular and I am considering going a few more pounds down
and maybe Abdominals? I have ben Intermittent fasting, low carbs/trying for Keto, or just eating less. Also going to the gym helped alot, weight lifting, ebiking, SUP, and whatever other exercise I can get in. Just started Pickle ball.