Author Topic: Lose 15 pounds by Dec 31, 2014 -- google doc added!  (Read 79234 times)

NBBay7

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Lose 15 pounds by Dec 31, 2014 -- google doc added!
« Reply #350 on: October 20, 2014, 07:54:58 AM »
Well done apfroggy!

It's good to see so many still engaged and re-engaging in the challenge.

One thing that has helped me to achieve results and improve my sleep quality is focusing on meat and vegetables for my evening meal, with a serving of yogurt with berries if I'm still hungry post-dinner.  If I'm not sure if I am still truly hungry, I ask myself if an apple would taste good.  If the answer is yes, I'm probably still hungry :)

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #351 on: October 20, 2014, 01:43:04 PM »
finally back under 200lbs.  first time since Dec. 2012 woooo hooooo!!!!!!!! and right at Diet bet weight with 4 days to go.  (i hate when they end on mondays)

Congratulations!  I just converted my kg's to lb's and realized that I have hit that too!  Still have another kilo to go before the end of one of my diet bets, but two others are good to go, and my DB10 is achieved, just keeping it off until Jan 15th.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #352 on: October 20, 2014, 04:09:05 PM »
I'm still right around where I started this challenge. I am really not doing well at not eating too much. I know the problem. I know the solution. I'm just too damn dumb to actually do what I need to do...

This is me. I understand the concepts, I've done it all before, but damned if I just don't seem to be putting any effort in.

Trying to turn it around slooowly with some healthier eating choices and more exercise.

I hear ya.  I've been letting multiple outside stresses get to me.  I KNOW I'll feel better if I exercise and eat good food instead of pizza.  I just feel like everything is hitting me all at once, and the pizza is emotionally soothing, and requires no prep and almost no clean up.

Less

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #353 on: October 20, 2014, 07:03:04 PM »
I'm in. Better late then never right?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #354 on: October 21, 2014, 07:20:31 AM »
just won my diet bet.  Down to 197.  Since i started doing diet bets i'm down 36.4lbs this year.  only 15 lbs. to go ... that will put me right at the middle for BMI.  have a cruise coming up the first week of November.  Gonna start a diet bet after that for sure. haha.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #355 on: October 21, 2014, 10:42:49 AM »
The weight is coming off faster than I would have ever believed. Now down to 195lbs (from 235lbs)... I am doing 90 minutes of pretty intense cardio 5 days a week, with fairly strict diet discipline - I thought that since I am on the north end of 40 now, it would come off slower than it did when I was in my early 30's - but it doesn't seem to be the case. Thankfully.

I do suspect that I am losing muscle mass since I am running such a daily calorie deficit right now - will pick up the weight training at some point and really ramp up protein intake, but body fat reduction has been priority one. I cannot express how much better I feel these days. In the "running" thread I mentioned how my previously wonky knees have seemingly been "reborn". Amazing.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 05:22:19 PM by Jon_Snow »

beaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #356 on: October 21, 2014, 04:16:48 PM »
I was so excited yesterday that I forgot to post! I surpassed my goal (25 pounds lost since end of August!) Dec 1 was my goal date so needless to say I am very happy! Have decided to go for another 10 by  Dec 1 then will buy some new clothes as I am the rocking "baggy" look. Of course, will be in true mustachian style and will hit the value village and the deep discount racks at winners! I hate shopping but actually kind of looking forward to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #357 on: October 21, 2014, 10:59:48 PM »
I was so excited yesterday that I forgot to post! I surpassed my goal (25 pounds lost since end of August!) Dec 1 was my goal date so needless to say I am very happy! Have decided to go for another 10 by  Dec 1 then will buy some new clothes as I am the rocking "baggy" look. Of course, will be in true mustachian style and will hit the value village and the deep discount racks at winners! I hate shopping but actually kind of looking forward to that.

Everything about this is awesome! :)

badasswizard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #358 on: October 22, 2014, 08:13:04 PM »
Kind of frustrated. I tend to eat more junk food if it's around and I'm living at my parent's house so I don't have a whole lot of control over what is in the cupboards.

I'm struggling with motivation to bike to work as it gets colder and darker.

BUT--I'm eating lots of grain porridges, beans/rice/veggies and whole grain bread I've been baking. Hopefully I can salvage some weight loss out of this week of disorganized eating.

I've been at my current weight +/- 5 pounds for about the past year and a half and it's been frustrating as I can't seem to get below 138 pounds. (Currently I weigh 141). Blargh.

I'm going to bike the next two days to work, do 2 more days of martial arts and try to walk longer each morning. No more than one dessert a day. I can do this!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #359 on: October 24, 2014, 05:58:52 AM »
^Yes, you can!

I seem to be plateauing.  Thankfully I'm down ~12 pounds since I started this challenge, and more than 25 pounds since I started trying to lose weight this summer.  I really needed to lose some, and it really feels great to be lighter, be able to move better, and look better in my clothes.  Writing down what I write really helps me; at first I did it in a simple spiral notebook.  I transitioned to myfitnesspal, which I generally like because it also makes it easier to track iron and vitamin C, for example, but the estimates for some of the exercise calories are ridiculously high (some things like walking at a certain speed seem more on track, but less popular sports have quite high estimates in there imho.)

Staying in the challenge through the end of the year to try to get down a few more pounds.  Good luck, everyone!

enderlander, thank you for setting up the spreadsheet!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #360 on: October 24, 2014, 09:16:18 AM »
190lbs is within reach... trouble is, my wife wants to go out for Mexican food tonight (maybe I do too, deep down). This could set me back a bit. I'm down over 40lbs in just less than 3 months and getting fit has been my first major task of my post-ER life - it troubles me a bit that I have become so consumed by this that I am hesitating on going out for a great meal on a Friday night with my wife.

Balance.... balance....

Stellar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #361 on: October 26, 2014, 08:38:25 AM »
I jogged about 15 miles this week.  5 shy of my actual goal of 20.  I really have no excuse for not losing a full pound other than laziness and quick food choices.  Two slices of bread with ham and mayo instead of a salad with ham and olives or something.

I've also skipped my metformin all week because I forget.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #362 on: October 27, 2014, 08:53:36 AM »
I'm in. Better late then never right?

Some of us who started are rather starting from ground zero anyways... :P

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #363 on: October 27, 2014, 09:49:18 AM »
Pizza relapse Saturday night. Off to gym now to punish myself appropriately.

Would like to hit 190 by the end of this week.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #364 on: October 27, 2014, 10:13:34 AM »
Stable last two wks. Hmmm. Moderate exercise. Eating greens.

Need to try something different in exercise so my weight will stop resisting to be lost.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #365 on: October 28, 2014, 08:56:12 AM »
Fluctuating... but no more downward movement.  Time to up the exercise level.  Eating has been ok after my 3 consecutive weekends of weddings.  Gah!  So much eating!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #366 on: October 28, 2014, 09:21:11 AM »
holding around 200 still.  have a week long cruise coming up with booze included.  i dont see this helping will have to get back on the horse afterwards.

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #367 on: October 29, 2014, 08:29:35 AM »
I'm amazed by those of you who have lost tens of pounds in only a few months! Here I was proud of having lost six pounds. Ha. And now I've been fluctuating up and down for the past three weeks. So I'm posting here, hoping that it will help my resolve to get back on my weight-loss regimen.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #368 on: October 29, 2014, 12:20:39 PM »
Scale just registered 192lbs... I am off to the gym to burn about 800 calories - I predict 189lbs when I return home to weigh in again in a few hours. :)

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #369 on: October 30, 2014, 10:54:54 AM »
Thanks, I did have A TON of fun!!
Too much food and alcohol and all that and too little exercise added a pound to my baggage, which is still reasonable, when I think of all the goodies I consumed without paying too much attention!
Need to get back in the swing of things and will go shopping for some fruits and veggies later ;)

Down 21.8 since I started and 9.8 since joining the gauntlet. So hopefully I'll still be able to reach my gauntlet goal, despite the suitcase full of yummies I brought home and with overeating season on the horizon ;)

Wish me luck!

Good Luck, FZ!!  And have fun!!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #370 on: October 30, 2014, 02:03:49 PM »
It is really motivating to read all the stories! I have lost 15 since starting this challenge & intend to lose 12 more & then hold.  Good thing I have an 80lb dog that walks me daily:))

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #371 on: October 31, 2014, 07:29:05 PM »
I am not able to exercise for a while and so will come back in several weeks with a slightly new plan.  Meanwhile I will enjoy reading how you are all progressing.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #372 on: November 01, 2014, 10:36:10 AM »
Sorry to hear!! Hope you are ok!
I am not able to exercise for a while and so will come back in several weeks with a slightly new plan.  Meanwhile I will enjoy reading how you are all progressing.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #373 on: November 01, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »
I had my regularly scheduled weigh in and am stoked, I lost 1.5 pounds in those three days since I got back. I'll take it, although it makes no sense ;)
I am officially below the weight now, when I left and am super stoked!

Sometimes it does pay off not to worry for a little while. You are not spoiling your fun, while travelling and enjoying the local fare and
your Metabolism gets a boost as well!!
I usually just have a hard time to get back on the bandwagon, after such trips.
I hope I can keep the momentum going, as my next work trip is already on the horizon.
Also I am volunteering tonight at a community event, that is know for it's many many food temptations.....
We shall see how that pans out during the next weigh in.

So far total loss: 23.2 pounds since I started and 11.3 since joining the gauntlet!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #374 on: November 01, 2014, 06:19:20 PM »
I thought it might be my imagination... but no.... it's an abs sighting! Been more than a few years since they have made an appearance!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #375 on: November 02, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »
It's everyone's favorite day:  weigh in day! 

:-) Must feel great to see those abs, Jon_Snow!  A big skinny congrats to you and everyone who has lost some weight while on this challenge.

Lately I've been on a plateau for about a month, but I gave myself permission to go on it when it started.  It seemed like my weight loss was slowing down after several months of a consistently downward trend, so I decided that maintaining for awhile was a good idea. 

Now it's winter warrior season, so I'm going to focus on not eating out and keeping portion sizes reasonable. I didn't really even enjoy the bit of Halloween candy that I ate (weird!?)  Maybe I am finally outgrowing my taste for cheap sweets?

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #376 on: November 02, 2014, 01:13:53 PM »
I am plateauing a bit in the last month too, but thats OK. I 've lost 30lbs since beginning of June.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #377 on: November 05, 2014, 03:40:33 PM »
Frugalzony,  thanks.  It is an old injury and it looks as though I will be losing a fair amount of weight within the year for ease and less pain.  I am bummed not to be doing this with exercise to start with but ce la vie.

congrats on the ab sighting Jon_Snow!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #378 on: November 05, 2014, 03:53:38 PM »
Brad Pitt's abs have nothing to fear from mine. ;) Long way to go.

beaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #379 on: November 06, 2014, 12:16:08 PM »
Down 30 pounds now! 5 more to go!! Had to give in yesterday and buy some new pants :) I can honestly say that I really feel the best I have ever felt. I have made great changes in my eating habits but still can enjoy everything I like in moderation. I am on maternity leave until the end of the month so have time to burn about 900 cal exercising each day. I am excited each day to wake up at 5:30, go for a walk and watch the sun rise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stellar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #380 on: November 07, 2014, 06:31:16 AM »
I had a rough week last week, I'm not sure why or what.  This week, I gave up sandwiches... when school starts, my eating habits are a bit based on convenience.  I had zero sandwiches this week.  Sounds weird, but I guess it worked.  I was only able to jog one day and I managed some exercise one day out of this week.  Good stuff, I am still sore.  With the time change, it gets dark so darn early that jogging is difficult.  I already wake up at 4AM to start the day, so waking up at 3AM to jog would probably be less healthy than not jogging.  My best time slot is 5:30PM.  I am shooting for 10 miles this weekend, divided up between Saturday and Sunday.

Anyway, I started at 195 three or four weeks ago, lost half a pound, went back up to 196 and today I'm 192.  Better than going up and I feel confident that I can do better next week. 

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #381 on: November 08, 2014, 01:17:01 PM »
Weigh in today! Lost another 2.3 pounds!
BUT I am craving chocolate like crazy today. I guess I'll cave in and today can be my cheat day ;)
We have game night tonight, so there'll be plenty of snacks anyways, so it's a good day to cheat ;) if there's anything like that
Hopefully I'll get a bit of exercise in as well!

So far down 25.5 since I started and 13.5 since joining the gauntlet!
Getting close! Hope I can keep it up, I have another business trip coming up with business dinners and such!

Firefly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #382 on: November 08, 2014, 03:26:56 PM »
My husband and I have been going low carb since the end of April. Super proud of both of us - it was rough in the beginning but we stuck to it and still going strong. I hit my target weight and then some, so I have carbs here and there now without going crazy (my total loss is 25 lb) and husband lost 45 with another 20-25 to go. The only problem we have now is we have to do a very un-mustachian thing and spend money on clothing that fit. But I'll take that :). Kudos to everyone for sticking with the plan! It's hard in the beginning, but it can be done! Good luck fellow-'losers'!

tt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #383 on: November 08, 2014, 10:45:46 PM »
I added myself to the google doc.  I only need to loose about 15 lbs but they seem to be elusive.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #384 on: November 09, 2014, 03:02:26 AM »
O dear, 2 baked potatoes just popped themselves into my mouth. I am so in the naughty corner :).   
Must focus and get back on track.

highcountry

« Reply #385 on: November 09, 2014, 01:15:48 PM »
Lost a bit more weight after a three week plateau.  I changed my target weight in the spread sheet so that it was 15 lbs from when I joined, rather than 15 lbs from where i was when the gauntlet was thrown, as I have passed that number already. 

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #386 on: November 10, 2014, 04:42:44 PM »
I have begun a new way of eating despite not being able to exercise so much right now.

Goal: Lose 60 lbs in 18 months.
Health Goal: Take weight off my joints and be able to get around with ease into my old age

Method: For the first two months I am cutting out all refined carbs and flours and adding loads of veggies
I want to lose slowly so that my skin has a chance to adjust to the changes.  I will be taking MSM and doing other things that may possibly help my skin to adjust more graciously.  I am planning to weigh once a quarter but it may end  up being more often.

I also realise that I have some resistance to the idea of being slim and fit and I may end up getting some support around this.  Meanwhile I am going to try tapping (EFT).  It is 26 years since I was last slim and fit, and even longer since that was normal for me.  I can imagine being a tiny bit chubby but I cannot imagine being slim at all.  In fact it sounds a bit scary. 

My inspiration is the clothes I already own and love which are too small and of course no more physical pain.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #387 on: November 10, 2014, 10:16:05 PM »
Wishing you the best on your journey to better health Wintersun!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #388 on: November 11, 2014, 04:26:19 AM »
Alright. Cruise over only gained around 3 lbs so around a half a weeks set back onward and downward 203.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #389 on: November 11, 2014, 08:52:16 AM »
Had to give in yesterday and buy some new pants :) I can honestly say that I really feel the best I have ever felt.

That's great, beaster!

It seems like several of us are plateauing, including yours truly.  I am going to blame the pot holes I mean shorter days I mean Halloween candy.  Thankfully that nasty candy is nearly gone and so I don't have to worry about it attacking me and jumping down my throat.

Time to go back to being disciplined about entering things into myfitnesspal.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #390 on: November 12, 2014, 09:55:05 AM »
Add me to the "plateau" crowd. Now that I've lost the "bulk" of my excess weight, the last remnants I need to lose to get that "defined" look is proving difficult. Will keep up the diet discipline and cardio work in the hope that I make progress in this area. Maybe I'm too old to reach my goals after all. :(

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #391 on: November 15, 2014, 01:46:19 PM »
Weigh in this morning and I am speechless.
I was travelling this week, I have HAD a couple really bad days (Alcohol, fatty foods, not watching what I eat) whilst on the trip and a binge eating day last Saturday (CHOCOLATE).
There were also a couple of days way below my calorie budget and some reasonable amount of exercise to make up for it all.
So I was hoping to have lost half a pound or so, but nope, I am actually down 2.4 pounds! Hey, I'll take it while it lasts! I know the next plateau is right around the corner....

Since I started in may I am down 27.9 pounds and 15.9 since joining the gauntlet, which means I met the gauntlet requirement. So happy!!
It definitely helps to have to "report", LOL!
Now I have to keep it or improve it till December.

Going to a Brunch tomorrow....LOL! Lot's of challenges over the next weeks If I can loose another 4.5 pounds till the end of the year, I'll hit a major milestone.
So that's what I'll be going for, but I don't want to deprive myself too much over the coming weeks with so many foody events coming up ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 02:03:40 PM by FrugalZony »

Stellar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #392 on: November 16, 2014, 07:17:44 AM »
Still in plateau land at 70kgs/154 lbs.   Added running back into the routine, but probably offset it by my Dorito binge.

Oh my god.  I love Doritos so much.

I have pneumonia so I haven't jogged/walk all week. I still managed to drop a little which is odd, I've been super sedentary.

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #393 on: November 16, 2014, 10:57:07 AM »
I'm in a holding pattern too.  After running several 5Ks the last two months, two weekends ago, I blew out a disk in my back.  I'm back to walking two weeks later but (a) my activity has plummeted and (b) I was given a 10 day course of prednisone which kicks me (water retention, way increased appetite).  Anyway, up .2 last week and I suspect up another pound this week.  Sigh.  This is hard!!!  No running for a while either, so....

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #394 on: November 16, 2014, 11:11:07 AM »
Having to type in what I eat really helps me from going overboard and eating mindlessly. 

It also helps that I found a crew of winter warriors who don't mind playing doubles outside wearing long sleeves now that it is in the 40's.

I'm going to use this challenge to help with motivation to shed a few more pounds before the end of the year.  Thank you for setting it up!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #395 on: November 16, 2014, 03:25:40 PM »
I'm down 7 pounds from when I started in September.  Really kicked it up in November with giving up alcohol, fried foods, bread/pasta/tortillas, and sugar.

Probably won't make it to 15, but still!

beaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #396 on: November 16, 2014, 06:08:32 PM »
Well I think I am done!!! 35 pounds lost since end of August! Feeling great so going to stick with the exercise and healthy eating! Think I will try some weights sometime over winter too- never done that!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #397 on: November 17, 2014, 11:45:07 AM »
The weekend involved a bit too much beer and smokies roasted on our bonfire - but there was enough physical exercise so that things were not a COMPLETE DISASTER.

Now off to the gym I go to punish myself with a 1000 calorie burn!!!

Not weighing myself for a couple of days.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #398 on: November 18, 2014, 07:48:45 PM »
Finally getting around to updating my status.  It's been a hard month but last week I suddenly started dropping weight again, and fast.  I have went down 2.7kg in the last 7 days.  I don't expect that pace to keep up, but it was a much welcomed drop off the plateau I've been on.  Now weighing in at 87.2kg, down from 102kg when I started in July.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #399 on: November 19, 2014, 07:49:16 PM »
I'm weighing myself daily and tracking my daily calories.

This is so hard.