Author Topic: Lose 15 pounds by Dec 31, 2014 -- google doc added!  (Read 79146 times)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Re: Lose 15 pounds by Dec 31, 2014 -- google doc added!
« Reply #300 on: September 24, 2014, 04:45:11 AM »
Yeah it is great in eat a similar diet to paleo. I'm down 15 pounds since mid august. I get a cheat day on Saturday every week. Takes til Wednesday to get back down to what I was at the previous Saturday morning. And like clockwork I made it again. 202.8. Hoping to hit 199 or less by Saturday morning.

beaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #301 on: September 24, 2014, 06:18:14 PM »
I'm down 13.5 pounds now in total. Had to take a week off exercising due to a knee injury but just kept counting the calories and made sure to adjust due to not being able to get out and exercise. To keep meals interesting my partner did the grocery shopping this week and challenged me to come up with some new and interesting healthy meals with "mystery" ingredients.

beaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #302 on: September 24, 2014, 06:23:11 PM »

Just found out that I am to be on crutches for at least another 3 weeks.  Yuck.  So all I can really do is sit around and eat and get fat.  But once I am back on my feet--watch out!!!  I am going to get back to walking/hiking/biking with a vengeance and all these pounds will drop off once and for all!

being on crutches is no excuse to get fat and eat all day.  i havent worked out once throughout this program and have lost 17 lbs.  weight loss is what you eat not what you do physically.  check out the 4 hour body diet you can lose weight sitting on your ass.

I read the 4 hour body and it worked for me between having babies. Not to be crude but the diet initially did some crazy things to my constitution but if you follow what tim ferris suggests it does work. In the end it was too hardcore for me and I went back to normal exercise and eat sensibly approach after losing the weight I needed to.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #303 on: September 26, 2014, 11:03:32 AM »

Just found out that I am to be on crutches for at least another 3 weeks.  Yuck.  So all I can really do is sit around and eat and get fat.  But once I am back on my feet--watch out!!!  I am going to get back to walking/hiking/biking with a vengeance and all these pounds will drop off once and for all!

being on crutches is no excuse to get fat and eat all day.  i havent worked out once throughout this program and have lost 17 lbs.  weight loss is what you eat not what you do physically.  check out the 4 hour body diet you can lose weight sitting on your ass.

I read the 4 hour body and it worked for me between having babies. Not to be crude but the diet initially did some crazy things to my constitution but if you follow what tim ferris suggests it does work. In the end it was too hardcore for me and I went back to normal exercise and eat sensibly approach after losing the weight I needed to.

my wife and i plan to follow the diet for a long time ... its really not that hardcore once you come up with recipes that will work.  I've been on and off of it for 2 years now and i feel like i have just amassed enough recipes that i dont mind following it at all.  I plan to start a website to publish these as well as talk about frugal travel. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #304 on: September 26, 2014, 11:05:40 AM »
also i didnt cross the 200k threshold this week due to a craptastic drop in the market (but its my biweekly check so i got to buy somemore)  i also didnt cross the 200lb threshold.  i was 201 this morning.  have one more morning weigh in tomorrow before cheat day to see if i can get under 200. 

maybe my body is trying to sink up with my retirement accounts and they both want to hit a mile stone together ... haha

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #305 on: September 27, 2014, 06:05:59 AM »
I am in.  I want to lose 67 lbs and reach 28% body fat and my first goal is 10 lbs by the end of the year.

My strategies are:
1.  Remove grains especially wheat
2.  Remove processed sweet foods and initially replace them with home made ones
3.  Once my injury heals bike/walk 5 times a week working up to 45 minutes
4. Increase Pilates to 4 times a week from two times
5. Use the bike to get to nearby places instead of the car
6. Eat on time
7.  Eat 2 cups greens with lunch and dinner

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #306 on: September 27, 2014, 09:37:40 PM »
8lbs ins 8 weeks, right on target :). I keep losing then having a kick up…fortunately I lose more than regain, but see it graph out on fit day,  is keeping me motivated. Seems to be a repeating pattern. Just have to ignore the kick ups and not give up.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #307 on: September 28, 2014, 06:46:47 AM »
Finally progress!

Tracking calories Monday through Friday and exercising 1 hour a week are my goals at this point. Also weighing myself frequently during the week, rather than just once.

I'm not disciplined enough to consistently exercise as much as I would like so I'm going to stop setting unrealistic expectations for myself.

But finally some meaningful progres!!!

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #308 on: September 28, 2014, 01:48:42 PM »
Gained 1.5 lbs this week.  Won't be flustered to badly.

My weight loss seems relevant to.... not sure. I've been eating a ton of proteins & veggies. Low-moderate good carbs. Started running & HIIT workouts, in addition to my hiking. Took this weekend as a rest week. Long hike planned for next weekend.

Please don't tell me this is my new normal weight. Lets see if I can maintain persistence and continue to make it come off.

beaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #309 on: September 29, 2014, 06:39:34 AM »
While out today noticed a good and bad problem- pants are too big!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #310 on: September 29, 2014, 06:42:31 AM »

my wife and i plan to follow the diet for a long time ... its really not that hardcore once you come up with recipes that will work.  I've been on and off of it for 2 years now and i feel like i have just amassed enough recipes that i dont mind following it at all.  I plan to start a website to publish these as well as talk about frugal travel.

Good for you guys and Good  idea about the recipes and website. It is always amazing to me how much planning goes into good eating, but the payoff is definitely worth it!

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #311 on: September 29, 2014, 07:04:26 AM »
Gained 1.5 lbs this week.  Won't be flustered to badly.

My weight loss seems relevant to.... not sure. I've been eating a ton of proteins & veggies. Low-moderate good carbs. Started running & HIIT workouts, in addition to my hiking. Took this weekend as a rest week. Long hike planned for next weekend.

Please don't tell me this is my new normal weight. Lets see if I can maintain persistence and continue to make it come off.

I have been measuring myself-neck, arms,waist, hips, thighs- and weight.  I lost over an inch in my neck!

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #312 on: September 29, 2014, 10:50:57 AM »
I could not weigh in till this morning, as I was out of town.
It was a food heavy trip with very little exercise, but I am glad to report that after a week of stagnation I am still down
18.7 pounds since I started and 6.7 since I joined this challenge
I have two more weeks to go before I will have another extremely food and alcohol infused trip, so I'll try to work in a bit more exercise this week,
so I can shed a bit more in anticipation of what is to come

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #313 on: September 29, 2014, 01:04:27 PM »
I am on day four of no flour and grains.  I feel quite perky.  I am eager for my knee injury to clear so I can exercise more.  I can do some exercises while seated and am doing a small amount.

I inspire myself by thinking about how light I will feel, how my knee will be more comfy and how I will be able to toss out half of my clothes once I am slimmer.

Last night while my family ate pasta I felt virtuous (which was easy since I was not starving hungry).

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #314 on: September 30, 2014, 04:59:53 PM »
Fantastic Good News!   I went to the doctor and was told that in addition to icing my knee I need to spin on a bike.  Yep, that is right, my recovery is to be aided by a daily prescription of gentle exercise.  Instead of putting off exercise until I am well enough it is actually part of my recovery programme.  Whew, what a relief, i was not looking forward to two months of no  exercise.  I have bought a bike trainer thingy  to put my bike on during stationary spinning time. 

Then, by the time my knee is better, I will have developed some cycling muscles so I can get about town on my bike and also use it to lose weight.

How is everyone else doing this week? 

Wolfsheim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #315 on: October 02, 2014, 06:01:14 AM »
its on, I am in now too.

Currently at 102.5 kg I want to lose weight down to 90kgs. Started with some supplements and a veggie-based diet on 1800 kcal/day.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #316 on: October 02, 2014, 06:56:04 AM »
While out today noticed a good and bad problem- pants are too big!!

What a great problem to notice!

It is a pain, though, to have to keep pulling them up all day. 

highcountry

« Reply #317 on: October 02, 2014, 04:25:35 PM »
I joined a couple of diet bets.  I have mixed feelings on them, as the rate of weight loss for  the 4% challenge combined with the short time frame seem like they would encourage binge dieting.  If I were calorie counting, the calorie recommendations they gave me to lose that much weight seem alarmingly low.   For myself, however, I have been losing weight at a rate that makes it feasible, so I figured I would go for it.  The 6 month challenge (which I also joined) seems like a healthier arrangement.

In other news I am down to 180.5 lbs, as of this morning, so a total loss of 18.3 lbs since June

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #318 on: October 02, 2014, 06:43:16 PM »
After 7 days I am noticing a slight looseness in my waistbands.  My major shift so far is giving up flour and it seems to be working.

I look forward to having the clothes too big issue.

Mini-Mer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #319 on: October 03, 2014, 12:06:04 PM »
Belated check in!  The two scales I have access to are both somewhat suspect - one claimed I'd lost four pounds and promptly revised that.  I just registered minus-two after a shaky week (cheese, tortilla chips), so... three-ish pounds out of ten? 

New things I have been doing:
- Packing two servings of raw vegetables for lunch
- 10 burpees first thing in the morning (adopted from elsewhere in the forum)
- 1 glass of water first thing in the morning

Plus usual workouts and moderately healthy eating. 

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #320 on: October 04, 2014, 05:38:26 PM »
Weigh in this morning and I am amazed.
I managed to work in some more exercise this week but I was also more hungry and had two days where eating was pretty much out of control.
Healthy stuff at least, but still way over my calorie budget so I did not expect much in terms of weight loss this week. Certainly not 2.8 f'in pounds!!
I am down now 21.5 since I started in May and 9.5 since I joined the challenge!

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #321 on: October 05, 2014, 09:33:10 AM »
Okay everyone,  I've followed this thread (sort of) since the beginning, but I never did join.  I've been doing c25k for a few weeks, though, and I've kind of hit a wall.  I haven't lost any weight, and the workouts are starting to get much harder (for me at least).  I need some motivation to stick with it, and keep my eyes on the improved fitness that I seek.

So, if it's not too late, I'd love to join this challenge.  My biggest problem lately is that I haven't really made any adjustments to my diet.  I don't eat too badly, but I certainly have an unhealthy relationship with sugar.  Flavored coffee creamer, sweet tea, carb loaded breakfasts.  Those things are in my life daily.

So now I'm off to enter my info on the spreadsheet.  May the odds be ever in my favor :)

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #322 on: October 05, 2014, 09:49:02 AM »
May the odds be ever in my favor :)

Nice @Pipercat!

I am down again, but pretty much at an even keel. As the ups/downs ratios equal a solid mean. Meaning I am not losing the weight I intended.
But I know this week, the bad carbs increased again. The workouts didn't happen as often as I like. It's tough sometimes always eating green. Will try to get back on track. Need to increase my hiking miles again too.  But none the less, I am down 5lbs from start (a month ago, 9/7).

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #323 on: October 05, 2014, 12:47:01 PM »

Congrats to all for the progress so far!

I'm happy to report that I reached one of my mini-goals: I had hoped to lose 5 lbs before Canadian Thanksgiving (Oct 13), and I have lost a total of 6! Woo hoo!

The bad news is that I will be attending or hosting three food-filled events over the three-day Thanksgiving weekend. So my next mini-goal is to hold steady over the next two weeks and not gain anything. I'll eat a lot over next weekend, eat moderately during the week, and exercise plenty. After a two-week break, I hope to get back on the weight-loss train.

Good luck all, and thanks for your support!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #324 on: October 05, 2014, 02:32:00 PM »
Down 13lbs in 7 weeks. My goal is another 20 more. This thread is motivating!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #325 on: October 05, 2014, 04:20:11 PM »
Down 13lbs in 7 weeks. My goal is another 20 more. This thread is motivating!

Wow! That's intense!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #326 on: October 06, 2014, 05:56:18 AM »
I have gained 7 pounds, but that is because my exercise has been ZERO since I broke my leg on 9/7.  I was officially weighed yesterday in Colorado's Weigh and Win program (one must go to a special kiosk to be weighed).  I'm actually kind of happy about it, because I was clothed and was wearing one shoe (I had removed the orthopedic boot)--I expected to weigh more.  So even though I have gotten no exercise and my diet has been poor, I haven't gained that much.

And in about 4 more weeks, I should be able to walk again, and I plan to shed pounds dramatically!!  Can't wait!!

beaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #327 on: October 06, 2014, 07:22:32 AM »
Did my weekly weigh in this morning- down a total of 17 pounds since end of August! Will be retiring my pants that caused me grief last week! That leaves me 7 pounds to go. I had a dec 1 goal date but I hope that with the way things are going I can try to lose an additional 10 after that to get to the optimal bmi weight I have researched (which i never remember ever weighing as I never tracked my weight before getting pregnant!) If I can do it anybody can do it! For me is just reducing and tracking daily caloric intake (still eating lots of yummy and healthy things but just being reasonable on portion sizes) and making sure of doing at least one 5 k brisk walk a day. I had been running but have had to shelve that due  to a knee injury but has not hurt my progress. I also have been telling friends and family about what I am doing (and you folks :)) to make sure I am accountable- helps very much!

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #328 on: October 06, 2014, 07:30:05 AM »
Finally broke past a depressing plateau!  amazing how one little pound can take week to lose... haha

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #329 on: October 06, 2014, 08:50:50 AM »
I have gained 7 pounds, but that is because my exercise has been ZERO since I broke my leg on 9/7.  I was officially weighed yesterday in Colorado's Weigh and Win program (one must go to a special kiosk to be weighed).  I'm actually kind of happy about it, because I was clothed and was wearing one shoe (I had removed the orthopedic boot)--I expected to weigh more.  So even though I have gotten no exercise and my diet has been poor, I haven't gained that much.

And in about 4 more weeks, I should be able to walk again, and I plan to shed pounds dramatically!!  Can't wait!!
Sorry to hear about your le NinetyFour!! Hope you are not in too much pain!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #330 on: October 06, 2014, 09:44:24 AM »

Sorry to hear about your le NinetyFour!! Hope you are not in too much pain!

Thanks, FZ.  The pain levels have gone down greatly the past couple weeks.  I see the doc again on 10/16, and will be hoping for good news!  I am sooooo looking forward to being able to exercise again!

jprince7827

• Stubble
« Reply #331 on: October 06, 2014, 03:42:28 PM »
I started a diet 7 weeks ago and have lost 12-15lbs at this point! Jumping on to the spreadsheet now.

BaldingStoic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #332 on: October 07, 2014, 12:01:03 PM »
Joining the competition late, but I'm in!  Currently 190 ( but was 200 at the start of the summer).  Target will be 178 lbs by year-end.

Eating Plan: Modified Paleo.  I'm not a big meat eater and like my whole-grains.  Must cut back on beer :-(
Exercise: Self administered Cross-Fit routine.  Lifting, Cardio, and weekly Yoga.  Biking targeted: 20 Miles per week minimum (40 preferred). 

Good luck everyone.   

Libber

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #333 on: October 09, 2014, 02:35:42 PM »
Fell off the wagon - Used the excuse that "I'm to busy with university and work to diet....". I finally started running again this week and I'm back to counting calories with MFP.
Here's for a fresh start - again ;)

ReadyAimFired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #334 on: October 11, 2014, 06:44:33 AM »
I started a few weeks in from you guys but I am happy to report that I am down right at 9lbs. My ultimate goal would be 40 lbs total by Feb 2015, so I may need your guys/gals support. My goal was 40 lbs by 40 yoa.

I am doing the insanity workout at 5a.m each morning. Wowzas, what a way to wake up.  Ready for bed at 8pm LOL.  Great job on all of your guys progress.

RAF

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #335 on: October 11, 2014, 10:00:44 AM »
I had another good week with some exercise and moderat eating and am down 22.8 pound now since I started, or 10.8 since I joined the gauntlet.
I will be going on a longer trip next week to places, where I love the food. So I don't expect much in terms of loss for the next couple of weeks.
I'll be a happy camper if I can maintain during that time. Wish me luck!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #336 on: October 11, 2014, 12:10:25 PM »
Wish me luck!

Good Luck, FZ!!  And have fun!!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #337 on: October 11, 2014, 12:22:08 PM »
Some great stories here!

About a month before I ER'ed, I weighed around 235 lbs... I'm 6'4", so the weight wasn't too obvious, but I FELT IT.

I am now a month in to my ER, and my weight is right around 200 lbs. So down 35 lbs in 2 months. My goal is to get to 190 lbs, at which point I will be lookin' pretty good... my wife in particular is appreciating the transformation. ;)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #338 on: October 13, 2014, 04:27:02 AM »
Yeah that's around what I peaked at being 6'4 as well a lot of people don't understand why you need to lose weight BC 6 4 hides it very well. I'm trying to get to 180-185. Good luck man.  And good work.

And yeah you can feel the 35 lbs. I mainly feel it in my knees. Less knee pain when it goes away

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #339 on: October 13, 2014, 08:30:51 AM »
In the US, too, we as a culture are so generally overweight -- but not morbidly -- that being 20-30 pounds overweight seems very normal.

I noticed that when I was in Germany for a summer, everyone looked thin.

I'm not helping, i'm still right around where I started this challenge. I am really not doing well at not eating too much. I know the problem. I know the solution. I'm just too damn dumb to actually do what I need to do...

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #340 on: October 13, 2014, 07:00:13 PM »
Thanks Llamo! I've got a huge post ER "to do" list... the thing is, much of the things I like to do are "fair weather" dependant. Living in the Great Pacific Northwest, the winters are grey and soggy. So what is a newly retired guy to do? Hit the gym! Almost a month into ER, my improving physical fitness is by far my biggest accomplishment yet.

I can't believe how much better I feel - it's not only the weight loss.... removal of work related stress is a huge factor.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 07:06:04 PM by Jon_Snow »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #341 on: October 13, 2014, 08:05:50 PM »
I'm still right around where I started this challenge. I am really not doing well at not eating too much. I know the problem. I know the solution. I'm just too damn dumb to actually do what I need to do...

This is me. I understand the concepts, I've done it all before, but damned if I just don't seem to be putting any effort in.

Trying to turn it around slooowly with some healthier eating choices and more exercise.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #342 on: October 13, 2014, 08:47:32 PM »
I'm still right around where I started this challenge. I am really not doing well at not eating too much. I know the problem. I know the solution. I'm just too damn dumb to actually do what I need to do...

This is me. I understand the concepts, I've done it all before, but damned if I just don't seem to be putting any effort in.

Trying to turn it around slooowly with some healthier eating choices and more exercise.

Yeah motivation or something.

Blegh.

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #343 on: October 14, 2014, 07:56:57 AM »

Yeah motivation or something.

Blegh.

Keep at it.  I believe that all diets (can) work, as long as your calories in < calories out, AND you can stick with it. Sticking to it has been my problem in the past. I've tried low fat, low carb, slow carb, clean eating, you name it! I don't like running and I especially don't like running in place inside a gym on a machine like a treadmill or an elliptical.  I love lifting weights, love walking, love dancing and don't mind short bursts of cardio in the form of HIIT.  So those are the things I do what I do now. It makes me anxious when I miss a session because I have to work late.

I like candy and cookies.  I can have them regularly as long as I make them myself.  I'm usually too lazy to go mix up a batch of brownies just because I feel like having one now.  And if I do actually get up and do it, then I  must really, really have wanted it (note that this doesn't work if you're not as lazy as I am).  I like cheese, eggs and fatty meat.  I have those, but also trained myself to like liver, sardines, okra and dandelion greens.

So do you like any of the "healthier eating choices"? Do you like the exercise that you planned?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #344 on: October 15, 2014, 05:40:12 AM »
I am actually in a holding pattern (and allowing myself to eat candy and cookies and bread and cheese) while I wait for my broken leg to heal.  I will get checked again my the doc tomorrow.  Hopefully, I will get good news from him and will be able to walk soon and start shedding pounds and building my leg muscles once again!

Congrats to everyone who is enjoying success with this challenge!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #345 on: October 15, 2014, 11:07:57 PM »
I'm finally back to where I was when this thread started - that was a post food poisoning weight-in, and my weight bounced up 3-4 pounds since then.  So 167 today, which I'm pretty happy about since I've been really busy and let my diet get pretty haphazard.  I have a half marathon in two weeks, and a trip to DC in between now and then.  Will try to keep the eating in check during the trip, and hope to be down below 165 for the race.  I haven't been lifting much though, so I'm afraid I may have lost some muscle mass instead of fat.  Trying to figure out what that sweet spot is where I'm strong enough and reaping the benefits of lifting, but a little lighter for the sake of my horse.  I'll probably make a push for getting back down to 160 and then reevaluate.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #346 on: October 17, 2014, 08:29:11 AM »
finally back under 200lbs.  first time since Dec. 2012 woooo hooooo!!!!!!!! and right at Diet bet weight with 4 days to go.  (i hate when they end on mondays)

Stellar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #347 on: October 18, 2014, 08:32:55 AM »
Hello all,

I would love to join.  I need to step it up!  I was happy at 175 (mainly my size 8/10 pants!) prior to my daughter's birth and I have been a yoyo since!  I am around 195 today.  I want to take the challenge to be 180  by December 31st.

My biggest problem is enjoying a good beer.  I've got the food down.  I have IR (I know, beer is like bread) so eating good stuff is easy because when I eat bad stuff my energy dips and I feel like I am making my way through live in a vat of sticky stuff that makes you move in slow motion.

I am following a RunKeeper program to train for a half marathon, so I move around when I can.  I also have a Fitbit to make sure I burn X amount of calories and walk X amount of steps... I need to add some weights in there.

When my employer had a biggest loser contest, the largest motivator was that our weights were on display for all to see.  Maybe this will generate the same feeling ;)

Thanks so much,
St-
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 08:49:52 AM by Stellar »

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #348 on: October 18, 2014, 05:23:06 PM »
I was feeling like I'm slacking off: my brain is just so wired to keep telling me I'm failing when it comes to losing weight. I do tend to go up/down higgly piggly  in my weight loss efforts which I think is always an excuse to say "O damn its not working!" and give up. To my surprise when I entered the weight on the chart, I'm still losing overall and I've now lost 10lbs, woohoo!  (We work in kg, so its not til I convert it to lbs to put on the chart that I actually know whether I've lost or not).

10 more weeks to go, another 10lbs would be awesome.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #349 on: October 19, 2014, 03:22:25 PM »
welp ladies and gentlemen, hit my goal of 160 lbs today at 159.8 lbs on the scale. one more week of cutting for me then i'll begin reverse dieting sunday