Author Topic: Lose 15 pounds by Dec 31, 2014 -- google doc added!  (Read 79233 times)

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Lose 15 pounds by Dec 31, 2014 -- google doc added!
« Reply #250 on: September 06, 2014, 04:40:39 PM »
Weigh in day. Down slightly compared to last week: minus 18.2 pds since I started and -6.2 since joining the challenge.
My numbers are funky, as I keep track in kilos and then convert into US lbs.
Not enough excersize this week, but calorie intake was on track

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #251 on: September 07, 2014, 05:04:59 AM »
enderlander, thank you for making the google doc.  It's fun to see so many mustachians working towards a goal at the same time.  I'm at the point in my life where I feel like any week that doesn't result in a weight gain is a good week, and weeks with a loss are great weeks (for now, since I could lose a few pounds!)

Frugal_Red

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #252 on: September 07, 2014, 05:58:16 AM »
Just added myself. Good motivation :-) Now to get back into the healthy eating habit! I fell off that horse when I started working night shift two years ago and my weight has slowly ballooned up from 170 lbs.

frizzywhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #253 on: September 07, 2014, 08:38:28 AM »
Weigh in day - doing great!  Only 3 pounds to go to meet my goal!  Pants are feeling looser, much more like my old self.  I've gone 100% paleo for this challenge. No grains, no dairy, no sugars no junk!  Also cut out coffee and alcohol.  Feeling better than I have in a long time :o)

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #254 on: September 07, 2014, 01:41:41 PM »
Ok I need to get more serious about this. At least it's helping everyone else meet their goals :)

But I'm only down 1 pound since this all started and I'm definitely not keeping the pace I need to keep...

TKE Super Dave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #255 on: September 07, 2014, 08:10:20 PM »
Ok I need to get more serious about this. At least it's helping everyone else meet their goals :)

But I'm only down 1 pound since this all started and I'm definitely not keeping the pace I need to keep...
Your doing better than me I haven't lost a pound. I actually gained this week but it was due to a move and having to eat fast food while my dishes were packed and not having a place to keep anything.  I need to get serious.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #256 on: September 08, 2014, 05:28:21 AM »

Your doing better than me I haven't lost a pound. I actually gained this week but it was due to a move and having to eat fast food while my dishes were packed and not having a place to keep anything.  I need to get serious.

:(

I think this week was mostly water weight since I had a fair bit of salted peanuts. Though maybe the weight was from the peanuts...

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #257 on: September 08, 2014, 05:57:09 AM »

I haven't lost anything either.  Need to kick it into gear.  But my muscles have been getting so sore the last week, I know I'm at least getting stronger. 

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #258 on: September 08, 2014, 04:34:22 PM »
Finally started seeing my results in the numbers on Monday.  I'm 0.6kg away from my Diet Better goal in 4 days.  Need to keep it up to win the bet.  so far I'm down nearly 9kg from the beginning of the year, which happens to be the same that I'm down from July.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #259 on: September 08, 2014, 04:57:01 PM »
I just started last Thursday/Friday.
Weighed myself early this morning and I am +1. What?!?! I just hiked 9+ miles with a 1500' gain. Discouraging. I blame it on the post-hike beer.

MariaSouth

• Bristles
« Reply #260 on: September 08, 2014, 07:59:39 PM »
Hi, another one here, not getting serious about it.

I was down 1 pound today. Not bad, very happy actually. But I haven't done anything special really, maybe not eating bread like it was the final day on Earth...

Boy, the warmer days are coming and I do not feel comfortable with my body and how clothes fit. Need to get serious. Need to exercise more.

Chippewa, that same thing happened to me too on some ocasions after hiking. You will get rid of all those pounds later.

Keep going, we have less than four months to go! And it will be Summer here at the South Hemisphere. More motivation for me.

(I corrected a typo in my tab's column.)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #261 on: September 09, 2014, 11:59:19 AM »
Hi:

I love the idea of a Mustachian weight loss program tailored just to me.  No joining fees, no expensive fancy diet foods made out of chaff and flavoring, no equipment to buy, just me and my brain.  I don't have a scale and don't plan to buy one instead I have a pair of jeans that is tight. 

My Goal:  My currently tight jeans will fit comfortably when I try them on Dec 15.

Plan:  Do this entirely by Mustachian tricks. 

Eat three meals per day. 
Can have a 2 crackers or small slice of bread if I wake up hungry in the night.
Stop eating when almost full and finish with a cup of tea or coffee.
Walk or bike every day.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #262 on: September 09, 2014, 12:44:11 PM »
Ooh I am enjoying this so much I came back to report my first Mustachian Diet meal.  I had planned a grilled cheese with ketchup so I put on my mustache an modified it a little.  I used the same amount of bread and cheese I would normally use but instead of grilling in bacon grease I put the bread in the toaster and instead of using dunking it in 1/4 C of ketchup I spread about a tsp directly on the cheese.   Pretty good.  Next time I will double the ketchup.  2 tsp is still way better than 1/4 C. 

I am trying hard to cut the things that are just habit while keeping the things that make food special

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #263 on: September 09, 2014, 02:51:17 PM »
My weight has stayed pretty constant, as I haven't been serious about losing any.

However, two days ago, I suffered a fracture to my right fibula and am on crutches.  Just as soon as I started using the crutches, it occurred to me that getting around on them would be so much easier if I were 15 pounds lighter!!  So, this episode has been a bit of a wake-up call.

Of course, while I am on crutches (now sure right now how many weeks it will be), my exercise will be curtailed, but I hope that I can also eat far less food and drink far more water.

Good job to everyone who is shedding some pounds.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #264 on: September 10, 2014, 02:12:53 PM »
Eating my mustachian diet BLT today:  One slice of bacon, no mayo and made an effort to slice the bread a little thinner. Still very much worth eating with garden tomato and home made bread.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #265 on: September 11, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
Suddenly yesterday I was down 0.6kg.  Today I'm down 0.2kg again even with eating three good meals.  Hope to continue this trend through the weekend and I finish up 2 DietBetter 4% bets, round 2 of the 6 month 10% bet, and have 1 week left in my final 4% bet where I am already ahead.  Weighed in at 90.9kg this morning.  Next Monday should look pretty awesome, maybe even down to 90.0kg :-D.  So excited at continuing this downwards trend.  Just about back up to eating 1800 Calories.  Hope to ease up a little bit more in the next month as I go into maintenance mode, unless if I decide to place another bet.

Ideally I would like to get down to 18 BMI, which is under 80kg.  So I still have a good 11kg to go.  When I got married I weighed 75kg, so I know it is doable.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #266 on: September 12, 2014, 04:43:59 PM »
Urgh. Not really losing anything ATM. I've lost 11kg (22lbs) since the end of May. I haven't changed what I'm doing so I guess its a plateau. Had to happen sooner or later. Usually at this point I get demotivated and put it all back on, so hopefully this thread will help me stay the course. I may have to revise my goal, but it was pretty aspirational.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #267 on: September 13, 2014, 09:26:21 AM »
Weigh in this morning and I am stagnating at exactly the same weight as last week (minus 18.2 pds since I started and -6.2 since joining the challenge)

It's ok, I had a good run for a couple of weeks and I did not have enough exercise on my trip this week.
I was reasonable food wise though, so that's good.

highcountry

« Reply #268 on: September 13, 2014, 06:11:55 PM »
I'm joining up a little late, but so be it.  I currently weigh 183, down from 199 in early June, and I hope to get into the low 150's, but I'll see where I plateau. By the end of December I'd like to be around 172.  I've been eating a paleo diet, and doing weight watchers. Though I don't do the weight watchers diet at all  I find the accountability and some of the features to be essential to getting anywhere with this). I'm dropping weight pretty effortlessly.  Basically as long as I am conscious of how many sweets I'm eating, and I weigh in frequently, I lose, am never hungry, and am looking steadily healthier with the way I've been eating.  My diet was pretty good before, too, so I'm very happy with this.  Another level of accountability doesn't hurt, though

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #269 on: September 14, 2014, 07:40:31 AM »
Hey @enderland!

The awesome graph part of your spreadsheet isn't working right now.

Hope all the Mustachian folks had a good week (or two as in my case...oops! missed last week's weigh in).

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #270 on: September 14, 2014, 07:33:11 PM »

Holding steady at 138 for three weeks now... well, no news is good news, I guess. I'm down three pounds since starting, so I'm happy that I haven't gained any of it back yet.

Here's hoping I can report back next week at 137...

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #271 on: September 14, 2014, 07:46:12 PM »
Weight still holding steady (which is definitely better than gaining!).

I'm being a bit more uptight about logging my food and have realised that even though everything I eat is something I feel is healthy and good for my body, I'm just consuming too many darn calories. Time to make some adjustments.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #272 on: September 15, 2014, 10:27:18 AM »
Bah!  I am up this week.  I think my body is trying to store fat so it can hibernate over the winter... it's getting cold here.  Either that or it's because I'm not exercising...

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #273 on: September 15, 2014, 05:24:20 PM »
Bah, still hovering very close to my starting amount.

Been a stressful few months, too, and combined with not feeling well consistently and stress-eating probably more than I should....

I think I'm going to break down and start tracking calories, I can't really seem to make headway otherwise.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #274 on: September 16, 2014, 06:22:00 AM »
Myfitnesspal.com pretty much tracks calories for you.  For example, yesterday I found out how many calories are in a large McDonald's french fries.  Yikes!  I won't be doing that again anytime soon.

I'm feeling happy and lucky that I've been doing pretty well over all at losing weight (started at 210 before this MMM tracking began.)  Today I have a meeting with a nutritionist who is helping me, and I'm sure she will be happy with me.  That being said, I'm pretty much planning a hold steady week.  I don't really feel pressure to lose every single week.  At this point as it is starting to cool off outside, not gaining is just as good for me as a loss.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #275 on: September 16, 2014, 06:55:53 AM »
I was on the road a couple weeks for work. Anyone who does this knows its hard to stay on a diet of any kind. Esp. With others there and going to dinner with clients etc. But anyways. I maintained my weight loss and I am now back to 207 today. My goal is 202-203 by Friday before cheat day Saturday.

beaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #276 on: September 16, 2014, 06:59:21 AM »
I have been lurking here for a while but finally decided to sign up. For me is necessary to track the calories each day. I and my family love food and all the joy that comes with it but tracking calories has been a real eye opener. It just forces me to maximize the flavour in all of our dishes and make reasonable portion sizing. I am trying to lose weight after having two babies in less than two years. I lost about 15 pounds shortly after my little guy was born in March then decided to enjoy the summer and all the good eating that comes with it. No regrets at all but now on track to lose remaining weight by the time I go back to work in December. Have lost 8 of remaining goal of 20 pounds so far this fall. Is anybody else running? I started a program to train for 5k run but this week have really jacked up a knee!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #277 on: September 16, 2014, 09:45:29 AM »
I broke my leg and sprained the MCL in my knee on 9/7, and was worried that, in my current state of very restricted mobility, I would gain a bunch of weight.  I am happy to say that I have actually lost a few pounds.  For one thing, I didn't have much food in the house at the time of my injury, and didn't really want to ask anyone to go grocery shopping for me (I live by myself).  Also, I haven't had much of an appetite.  This is probably due to my inactivity, but perhaps is also because of the pain medication.  My understanding is that pain Rx basically slows down one's bodily functions, including the digestive system, so maybe the tummy doesn't really think of food much?  Anyway, I'm glad I am not blimping out while my leg is healing.  So far, anyway.  :)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #278 on: September 16, 2014, 11:19:17 AM »
^Ouch!  I'm sorry to read that, and hope you are back on your feet again soon!

^^The only way I can run anymore is pretty much on grass, soft dirt, or sand.  Pavement destroys not just my legs but my hips and back feel bad too. 

It's in the 80's here today.  No excuse to not exercise outside, but I am feeling like a sloth.  Maybe I will at least mow the grass this evening?

LipFoliage303

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #279 on: September 16, 2014, 03:53:46 PM »
Yikes - best wishes on your path to healing.

I'd been stuck at 199 the last few weeks and then I finally received some encouraging news at this week's weigh-in --- 196!

That being said, my pants have been fitting looser even as I was stuck at 199. So I was making progress, it just wasn't showing up in Google Docs.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #280 on: September 16, 2014, 08:27:20 PM »
Biking home from work tomorrow.

It's 25 miles, should be fun!

flyfig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #281 on: September 16, 2014, 09:09:44 PM »
Just found the posting and filling this in from a work trip to Switzerland.

This is awesome- just had a chat with DH on becoming healthy when I RE next year but the post inspired me to start early. Jogged for the first time in 2 months yesterday (injury during the summer).

Aiming for a -20lbs (from 158 to 138 lbs) which is a weight I have not seen for a long time.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #282 on: September 16, 2014, 09:25:54 PM »
I'm in. :)

I've been hovering around 165 for a while, but was once at 189.  Healthy BMI for me is around 159.  I figure 150 will give me a good cushion.

I usually get 10000 steps or workouts 5 times a week, but sprained my ankle hiking last week, so I have to take it easy.

My biggest issue is with food.  I've got to focus on portion sizes and not eating a whole bag of crisps... I'm trying to be better about food logging on myfitnesspal.com.

Once the ankle is better, I want to get back to running.  I stopped in June after running a 10k... just lost all motivation.  So I need to set another goal and get back on it.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #283 on: September 17, 2014, 08:21:36 AM »
Weighed myself this morning (between official weigh-ins) and I am down to my lowest weight post-baby!!  So excited!  Pre-baby weight here I come.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #284 on: September 17, 2014, 09:13:49 AM »
Did some math today. 

For me,  a man, it appears that approximately every 7 pounds of weight/fat lost equates to 1 belt notch or 1 inch.      I'm at 36 inches now,  so when Dec 31 rolls around I should be 2 notches down!    No need to weigh, just count the notches.

I'm doing the Whole30 right now and will continue in a paleoesque manner well past my target date of June 1,  2015.     I'm firming up nicely and could have notched the last loop if I pulled it tight this morning but chose to wait until it slips in naturally.   

I love the ease of this method.   And I feel great!

MariaSouth

• Bristles
« Reply #285 on: September 17, 2014, 07:24:35 PM »
Hi all, nice to read your progress.

My weight this past Monday was the same as the previous one. Not good. But I travelled during the weekend to visit family and ate too many cookies and bread. So, with that into account, keeping the weight was not so bad.

But I am taking it more seriously starting this week. I plan to cancel bread and cookies (my only weakness) during the week, and have an occasional bite during the weekend. I am also doing some exercise, some each day. And I am feeling great so far. I hope to continue with it!

We will see next Monday...

Best wishes to all of you and keep posting here! It inspires me!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #286 on: September 19, 2014, 05:49:27 AM »
happy to report i'm 202.6 this morning with one solid day of diet left i may be below 202 saturday morning. 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #287 on: September 19, 2014, 11:08:55 AM »
In the past 6 weeks I have lost 11 lbs.  I am exercising every day and walking anywhere between 10,000-13,000 steps per day (thanks to Fitbit) to track how I am doing.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #288 on: September 19, 2014, 01:36:58 PM »
Just found out that I am to be on crutches for at least another 3 weeks.  Yuck.  So all I can really do is sit around and eat and get fat.  But once I am back on my feet--watch out!!!  I am going to get back to walking/hiking/biking with a vengeance and all these pounds will drop off once and for all!

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #289 on: September 20, 2014, 05:31:10 PM »
I haven't checked in in awhile, so this is kinda long.

I'm down about 7.5 lbs/3.4kg so less than a pound a week. 

I've been doing novice Starting Strength program, alternating days of squats, bench press and deadlifts with days of squats, overhead presses and rows/deadlifts (not doing powercleans).  The gym I started going to focuses on olympic lifting, and I'm the only one doing powerlifting. So today the coach thought I was bored, and suggested that I go outside and push a prowler around.  I thought I was going to pass out by the end, and I suspect I'm going to have a bad time tomorrow with soreness. But more importantly, today I was totally badass pushing that sled around after a full workout, all done fasted!

I think my weight is artificially low because of the fasted workout and a little dehydration.  So I'm preparing mentally for my weight to stay the same or even go up.

As far as diet goes, I've been doing alternate day fasting, but also trying to reintroduce foods after being on a super strict autoimmune paleo diet.  So far nightshades and legumes are good.  Dairy, eggs and grains (oats and rice) are problematic in different ways. I'll use up what I have, and otherwise only have them occasionally.  I'm switching to set fasting days so that I'm eating higher calories on workout days.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #290 on: September 21, 2014, 12:35:15 AM »
Still going slow and steady: haven't plateau-ed after all. BMI 31 - I would like to be <BMI 30 by the end of the year so I am not longer "obese", merely overweight! Still on target for this :). (does little happy dance)

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #291 on: September 21, 2014, 10:44:07 AM »
This morning shows 4lb loss in a week. 6 lbs over all (as I started 2 weeks ago).

I'm okay with 2lb loss per week, as I've been hiking good distances and like crazy. But 4lb... no. Means I'm not eating enough or fueling properly. But I have paying more attention to macronutrient balance; trying to find a perfect fit. Using MFP to track everything. 2 Tbsp of creamer... gah! I miss my creamer. I was clearly putting much more than 2 T in my coffee or tea. haha.

Eating low carb, high protein for weight loss. The meals are kind of repetitive and boring: so that's another area I am learning to adjust to. I like variety. Well, its all a learning process. But looking for a sustaining balance. Because after I lose all the necessary weight, I'm gonna need to learn to keep it off!

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #292 on: September 21, 2014, 01:54:55 PM »
Geez, the spreadsheet really makes it obvious... I haven't lost a pound in over a month! Time to really get serious about this again.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #293 on: September 22, 2014, 06:05:06 AM »
bottomed out at 202 before the cheat day on saturday.  sitting at 206 today... hoping to hit 198 by friday/saturday morning.

Side note won all 3 Dietbets i was in .... should make ~40-45 bucks just for doing something i was doing already

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #294 on: September 22, 2014, 06:05:45 AM »
I'm on my way to recovering from the 1.5 weeks of cheating I stupidly allowed myself to have. Right now I'm 4 lbs off of my low weight but I think the low # was just a really good (or bad, depending on perspective) day for water weight. 185-186 was probably my "real" weight a that point and now I'm only 2 lbs above that line. I expect to be roughly back to where I was by the end of the month. I think I might have to put off any cheating until at least the middle of next month.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #295 on: September 22, 2014, 06:08:30 AM »
Just found out that I am to be on crutches for at least another 3 weeks.  Yuck.  So all I can really do is sit around and eat and get fat.  But once I am back on my feet--watch out!!!  I am going to get back to walking/hiking/biking with a vengeance and all these pounds will drop off once and for all!

being on crutches is no excuse to get fat and eat all day.  i havent worked out once throughout this program and have lost 17 lbs.  weight loss is what you eat not what you do physically.  check out the 4 hour body diet you can lose weight sitting on your ass.

eae550

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #296 on: September 22, 2014, 08:35:21 AM »
I am loving this challenge- getting married in 2 weeks and want to look and feel my best. I find running a bit boring but have been doing this treadmill interval workout and enjoying it! http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/precision-running

frogger

• Bristles
« Reply #297 on: September 22, 2014, 09:33:26 AM »
I've been fluctuating quite a bit and not seeming to make real progress, but as of today's official weigh-in (Monday morning is just easier than the weekend) I've hit the 5 lbs mark! That's pretty exciting. My brother went back to college this month, leaving my mom and I the only ones in the household, and as soon as he left I laid down a no-junkfood law. I buy real food, I cook it, I experiment sometimes with random stuff the CSA sends us, and it seems to have been working. I was also finally able to get back into my yoga routine after the beginning of the semester settled down, which added that little nudge of exercise, diet being about 90% of the thing.

I've signed up for a bike trip with my college alums group for about four weeks from now, so my goal is to work up to 15 miles of biking without having to take a break. I'll probably have to turn up my food intake if that goes as planned, but it'll be extra protein things on biking days, not all food all the time.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #298 on: September 23, 2014, 11:58:52 AM »
Lots of stress the past couple weeks sent me on a wild ride from 90.9kg to 96.5kg and then three days in a row dropping 1kg back to 93kg.  Finally this week I drop the last two kilo's again and am back to 91.2kg.

Joined another Diet Bet starting October 3rd, here is the referral link http://diet.bt/6kv0Gd, I don't get anything for it except being named MVP, which is just a title.  This will end on October 30th, just in time for Halloween.  I will finally be back below 90kg by the end of it, which has been a long time coming.  Still need to be below 80kg to have a healthy BMI.

Recently my friend purchased a bicycle and has started riding which has encouraged me to pick up my game.  Since then I have gone on an 18mi ride, exploring two parks and my city, and a 10mi scenic route home.  We plan on a 20mi loop this weekend and to prepare I'm doing scenic routes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with normal commutes in between.  All while trying to keep the stress of a heavy workload down.

highcountry

« Reply #299 on: September 23, 2014, 12:32:06 PM »
I spent the weekend in the city and didn't eat right at all.  I'm only up .4 lbs though, so I probably actually lost weight this week, when you eliminate bloating from eating foods my body doesn't like.  We'll see what happens by next week.

note:  I usually eat paleo, and am down 16.4 lbs since June.  I love the way I've been eating.  It's easy, filling, sustainable, and yummy.