Author Topic: Lose 15 pounds by Dec 31, 2014 -- google doc added!  (Read 79141 times)

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
Re: Lose 15 pounds by Dec 31, 2014 -- google doc added!
« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2014, 11:07:52 AM »
I am trying something new today with inspiration from this post:  http://www.theminimalists.com/diet/

I never have time or really feel like breakfast anyways so two meals a day might be a good plan for me.  I have been keeping track of my calories in Myfitnesspal, just to keep my portions in check.  I started walking on one of my breaks as well as lunch.

I am not sure where I am at for weight loss.  I think my scale is broken.  I can step on it 3 times in the morning and get a very different reading each time.  I will weigh in on my parent's digital scale when I visit this weekend.

That diet sounds interesting.  Also, that lifestyle is very appealing.  I hate it when scales are unreliable.  I like to take the lowest number and use that one ;)

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2014, 01:41:35 PM »
I had an early weigh in (normally I weigh in Saturday), because I am going out of town tonight.
I am down 14 pounds since I started, which means I lost 2 pound this week, that count for the gauntlet.
It's always difficult for me to watch my weight while travelling.
And as I'll be in another country and will want to try things, I won't stress over calories the next 10 days.
I'll still try not to go crazy though ;)

It doesn't seem to matter which way I go, traveling I tend to gain 10lbs.  When I lived in Taiwan and visited the States for 2 weeks I gained 10lbs.  Now that I am back in the States we took a trip back to Taiwan and I gained 10 lbs there.  Visiting friends and family it got so bad that one night we had to just tell people, look, we don't want to go to fancy all you can eat restaurants, lets get some things at the street vendors and chat instead.

Mini-Mer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2014, 01:24:37 PM »
I'm in for ten pounds or one belt hole, whichever comes first!  (Like several other posters, I mainly go by how well my clothes fit.)  My adult weight range has been about 10 pounds on either end of median (W).  I've gotten stuck at W+7 lately...

I've been doing high-intensity interval workouts and added some muscle (otherwise W+7 would be a hair-on-fire new jeans emergency).  Low-ish carb, but I've been slacking on both that and exercise... I'm reasonably healthy, but do object to buying new jeans before the old ones wear out!

Plans for the rest of the year:
- Drink more water daily
- Increase proportion of vegetables in relation to cheese & beer
- Add one long workout per week (boating or hiking, depending on what's available) and probably more short ones too

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2014, 03:06:02 PM »
I'm in for ten pounds or one belt hole, whichever comes first!  (Like several other posters, I mainly go by how well my clothes fit.)  My adult weight range has been about 10 pounds on either end of median (W).  I've gotten stuck at W+7 lately...

I've been doing high-intensity interval workouts and added some muscle (otherwise W+7 would be a hair-on-fire new jeans emergency).  Low-ish carb, but I've been slacking on both that and exercise... I'm reasonably healthy, but do object to buying new jeans before the old ones wear out!

Plans for the rest of the year:
- Drink more water daily
- Increase proportion of vegetables in relation to cheese & beer
- Add one long workout per week (boating or hiking, depending on what's available) and probably more short ones too

A thing I've been doing recently is tracking lean mass.  I've been using this fat loss monitor and calculating my lean mass based on that.  The goal is to maintain or increase my lean mass while still losing weight.

With this I know that I have gone from 72.75kg of lean mass down to 71.66kg while losing 4kg of weight.  After this Diet Bet is over in another week and a half I'm going to work in more strength training while trying to still lose weight.  I have a nifty spreadsheet with a graph and it's fun to see the two areas getting closer.  I'm also working on adding body fat % tracking to our OpenDiet site, and my friend will add the lean mass graph to it (possibly toggleable).

I've found so far that dieting has been a journey of self awareness of our own body.  The more aware you are of what your body is and how things influence it the more intelligently you can construct your diet and exercise.  Too often we focus just on one number, weight, or calories, and don't understand that weight is just a single part of the equation.  My wife weigh's 48kg (up from 46kg) but can barely bike a couple miles.  She doesn't need to lose weight, but does need to exercise more to stay fit.

frogger

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2014, 03:28:17 PM »
Adding my weight for the week early since I'm going out of town tomorrow. I'm down three pounds. Part of this is good (yoga! biking!) and part is not so good (anxiety! nausea!), but I'm noticing some things starting to fit better and I'm getting stronger at both yoga and biking.

Wish me luck to keep up the effort with being on vacation next week (no yoga or biking!).

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2014, 05:13:46 PM »
Adding my weight for the week early since I'm going out of town tomorrow. I'm down three pounds. Part of this is good (yoga! biking!) and part is not so good (anxiety! nausea!), but I'm noticing some things starting to fit better and I'm getting stronger at both yoga and biking.

Wish me luck to keep up the effort with being on vacation next week (no yoga or biking!).

Congratulations on the loss!  Good luck with the vacation.

Yoga kicked my ass this week.  I hurt my ankle hiking so I figured I'd try out yoga, and it was intense.  It was actually mat exercise, but same basic concept.  Left me sore for two days.

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2014, 05:26:19 PM »
Hello, all!

I've been away for a couple of weeks, and am happy to find this thread! I've been eating too much and exercising too little while on vacation. :(   This thread is JUST EXACTLY what I need right now.

I'll just have a quick look at the google doc and then maybe come back with an update...

----

OK! I'm in! For many years I weighed 125 pounds and it's depressing to be over 140 now. I don't think getting back to 125 is a reasonable goal, and truthfully I would be happy to hover around 132-133 in the long term, but I chose 130 lbs as my goal.

Thanks to all the earlier posters for all the great ideas on possible changes to make. Here's where I will start:

1. I will log my exercise and food intake on MFP (My Fitness Pal). It's an online calorie counter, albeit an imperfect one. Focusing on calories may not be the best way to approach weight loss, but the act of logging everything will hopefully motivate me to stay away from indulgences.

2. Weight training and cardio (at the gym) 3x a week until AT LEAST the end of August. After that, my job will unfortunately ramp up to a more intense phase, and I'll have to be more creative about fitting in workouts.

3. Drink only water or Emergen-C for thirst quenching (no juice, wine or beer). Smoothies are allowed!

4. After eating any snack or meal, wait at least one hour before eating anything else. Probably seems like a silly rule, but I want to stop myself from taking a second helping. If I wait long enough for that feeling of satiety to kick in, I can usually be satisfied with a modest portion.

With all the the great summer produce available now, I'm already eating a lot of meals centered on green salads, so I'm off to a good start!

Best wishes, all.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 07:48:04 PM by centwise »

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2014, 07:37:49 PM »
Weighed this morning just to check.  Official weigh-in for the week in a few days.  No change from last week.  I'm hoping this will inspire me to do more instead of be discouraging...

kecosj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2014, 11:58:22 PM »
Hi, just joined. I plan to lose those pounds eating healthier food, but mainly riding my bicycle everywhere I can. My conmute is about 20 miles daily, so I need to get a bit of training before commuting to work in a MTB

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2014, 10:00:46 AM »
Rats, I just joined this thread yesterday and I'm already wimping out! We just got invited to a neighbour's lake cabin for the weekend. That means lots of physical activity but also lots of eating. I'll try to avoid second helpings and drink only water, but I don't expect to make progress on the weight-loss front. I'll consider Monday to be my starting date...  :(

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2014, 02:57:17 PM »
So I dove in last week with exercising and eating better...and I'm up by a little under a lb today.  I know it's probably short-term from the changes, but it still hurts.  Not giving up though.

Doomspark

« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2014, 03:25:07 PM »
In the "do as I say, not as I do" department: Food poisoning is one way to drop a few pounds in a hurry...   but I think diet, exercise, and other positive lifestyle changes are the way to go.

For the last few months, I've parked out at the far end of the parking lot, which gives me a mile-long (round trip) walk each day.  One of my coworkers and I also walk for 20-30 minutes at lunch.  Contemplating C25K, but ....  I have a really hard time sticking with something if I don't have someone to kick me along (which is why the lunchtime walking has worked so well). 

Have successfully kicked the soda habit thus far - drinking tea or water instead.  I'm also trying to cut down on processed foods - I make my own hummus now, for instance, which is not only better for us but costs half as much.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2014, 06:02:52 PM »
So I dove in last week with exercising and eating better...and I'm up by a little under a lb today.  I know it's probably short-term from the changes, but it still hurts.  Not giving up though.

Don't you just hate it when that happens?  Definitely don't give up!
Managed to get myself on that spread sheet. Now I'm committed.

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2014, 09:41:46 AM »

Don't you just hate it when that happens?  Definitely don't give up!
Managed to get myself on that spread sheet. Now I'm committed.

Good job, happy!

And Micro RN: I think 1 lb is well within the "error bars" for weight monitoring. In other words, the scale reading can go up or down by a pound or two, just depending on how recently you've ingested food or water, right? So, you're probably still on track and will see those results at next week's weigh in. Hang tough, you'll make it!

As for myself, I had a weekend of relative indulgence with friends at the lake -- I didn't overdo it too much, but I definitely wasn't in weight-loss mode-- so I'm starting "for real" today. Wish me luck. Well, ok, luck has nothing to do with it... wish me self-discipline!

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2014, 10:01:31 AM »
Well I had a great week.  I was 227 on the 3rd, and weiged myself this morning down to 220. 

Mostly water weight I am sure.

What I did:
Rode my bike to work every day(16km round trip)
only water(and a couple of beer on the weekend :)).
45 minute(5 km) walk every lunch at work
stairs only(no elevavator) to the 6th floor
converted to a "raw" diet - mosty  - raww fruits and veggies, beans, nuts etc

I am hopping that i can lose again this week... but with me, a big lose like that is ussally followed by a week or two of nothing lost... well here is to trying

hermoninny

• Stubble
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2014, 10:28:38 AM »
Ugh.  Had a decent weekend, but still up this morning.  Not sure why.  Frustrating!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2014, 10:37:20 AM »
I made my goal weight with Diet Better last week and lasted until this week, so I've won the bet there.  I have a second one that ends next week and I only have another 0.1kg to lose in 7 days, so as long as I stick to my new eating habits and exercise I'll be good.

My next plan is to incorporate some muscle building exercise into my routine.  We've updated Open Diet to also track body fat % if you do.  I have kept track through this whole think and I've gone from 72.75kg of lean mass down to 71.5kg or so.  So out of 5kg, 20% of that was lean mass.  Body fat % is a hard thing to track, and we're mostly really just guestimating with the equipment we use, but on average it should show a trend of where we are.

I started last month at 100.1kg and weighed in today at 95.2kg.  I still have 5kg to go by the end of the year, and the holiday season to make it through.

Great progress everyone, and good luck!

Meggslynn

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2014, 12:50:06 PM »
I only weigh myself once a month. My numbers fluctuate too easily based upon where I am in my cycle. I go by how my clothes feel and take measurements once a month as well.
I just contacted a local fitness club that offers boot camp classes at times I can actually attend. I have been working out at home for a year now and its not getting me very far so I think I have to make the commitment and spend the $300 for 13 weeks (3 classes a week).

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2014, 03:30:29 PM »
I actually started a week ago and lost 2.5 pounds. My goal is to lose 26 pounds total.  I bought a Fitbit and it really is motivating since it tracks how many steps I take a day, minutes of light/moderate/vigorous exercise, etc.  I also log all my food/drink intake & it totals calories, etc.  I am exercising 30 min.'s a day by fast walking  (thank you big dog).  Also if I see I don't have enough steps for the day I march in place fast while I watch TV. 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2014, 08:57:22 PM »
I was on vacation for 4 days and definitely ate too much. So many wonderful deserts though!

Still holding steady at the starting weight, hopefully this week changes some. Bringing salads and lots of fruit to lunch as well as drinking lots of water at work.

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2014, 10:36:38 AM »
I'm putting a spin on this for my own benefit - I'm looking to gain at least 10 lbs in the coming months, and to somehow keep it on.  I have a daily intake of calories I should be reaching, but am not disciplined enough to eat as much as I should.  So this should help!  Thanks for the challenge, enderland! 

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2014, 10:41:08 AM »
I fell of the wagon and ate a whole box of cookies.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2014, 12:02:08 PM »

Oh noo's! Well, not much you can do about that other than to stand back up, dust off the hay, and jump right back on the wagon.

My friend is visiting this week and he brought some "healthy" Oreo style cookies.  130 calories per serving, 2 cookies in a serving.  I tried one cookie this morning, yes it does taste similar to Oreo, then that was it.  I did over indulge last night though with some KFC chicken and their mac n cheese.  Up 0.5kg, though most of that is just the weight of what I ate, I fully expect to be back down tomorrow after a day of sticking to my routine.

Weighed in on my second Diet Bet and won this one too!  Winnings will be finalized in about 3 days.  Two more weigh ins left, one on Friday, then another next Tuesday.

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2014, 02:29:31 PM »

Oh noo's! Well, not much you can do about that other than to stand back up, dust off the hay, and jump right back on the wagon.

My friend is visiting this week and he brought some "healthy" Oreo style cookies.  130 calories per serving, 2 cookies in a serving.  I tried one cookie this morning, yes it does taste similar to Oreo, then that was it.  I did over indulge last night though with some KFC chicken and their mac n cheese.  Up 0.5kg, though most of that is just the weight of what I ate, I fully expect to be back down tomorrow after a day of sticking to my routine.

Weighed in on my second Diet Bet and won this one too!  Winnings will be finalized in about 3 days.  Two more weigh ins left, one on Friday, then another next Tuesday.

Haha.  Is your friend my mom?  She brought those exact cookies to my house.  She said she thought they were OK because they were organic.  I had two and sent the rest on a plane with my husband.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2014, 09:36:42 PM »
I'm pretty much just static.  My starting weight on this challenge was 167, which was the lowest I'd seen in a few months, but coming off a bout of food poisoning, so it was probably artificially low.  I've been hovering closer to the 170 mark, and get pissed every time I go over.  I know I've put on some muscle since I was in the 158-162 range, but I know it wasn't 8 pounds of muscle.  I've been lifting and/or doing kettlebells 2-3x per week, running usually 2x per week, riding both of my horses, plus gardening, walking, and doing general activities cooking and canning.  And eating mostly meat and veggies.  It seems like some of the fat should start shifting, but I'm contemplating going back on the 4 Hour Body diet for awhile.  Also thinking that upping my running mileage will help more than the longer stretches of easier activity.  Trying to use my standing desk more at work and snack on raw veggies instead of nuts.

savetheday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2014, 08:22:21 AM »
I'm in! I've been a forum lurker for quite a while, but this convinced me to join in the conversation. Thanks!

I'm getting ready to start a new job that will involve lots of travel, so I want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction with my weight. I'm aiming for -20 by the end of the year.

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2014, 09:20:09 AM »
I am in.  I am at my heaviest non-pregnant weight and it is a damn, hair-on-fire emergency.  I have a huge appetite and I snack too much and don't get enough exercise, so lots of room for improvement. 

I am starting from scratch here, so building new routines and habits.  I can get a free membership to weight watchers through our health insurance, so I am signing up today.  I also love the No-S approach -- no snacks, no sweets, no seconds.  This covers all of my vices in one quick, alliterative swoop. 

I used to run, but my knees just can't take it at this weight.  I am going to take a walk every day and work out in my garage doing push-ups and squats/lunges. 

Starting at 200 pounds.  I would like to be 180 by Christmas. 

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2014, 09:23:47 AM »
Starting weight 195, spare tire 42"

Current weight 191, spare tire 41"

Seems like a lot of weight in just one week, I suspect there may be more than a bit of dehydration in there.
(snip)

Wasn't able to maintain my exercise plans this week. Experienced three tachycardia events in the past week (two diagnosed as atrial flutter, one unknown arrhythmia). Have reduced exercise intensity until I consult with my cardiologist next week.

Generally ate well.

Current weight 191.5, spare tire 40.5"

Weight is up a tiny bit, but girth decreased, so I'll chalk the inconsistency up to hydration level differences. Still down 3.5 lbs in 2 weeks, so on track.

Al

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2014, 10:32:25 AM »
:( I'm going the wrong direction lol. I gained 1-2 pounds... but I do feel a bit more muscular so I'll not worry about the weight gain for now

But I think it's because I'm eating more since I eat something after going to gym where before I just didn't eat

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2014, 11:36:22 AM »
Today I am trying intermittent fasting to get back on track.  2 meals, all whole foods, just herbal tea, water or black coffee in between.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2014, 02:31:59 PM »
Today I am trying intermittent fasting to get back on track.  2 meals, all whole foods, just herbal tea, water or black coffee in between.

Hah, that sounds like what my diet has been for the past month.  I found it hard to fit three meals into dieting, and often I felt too full after meals.  The easiest way for me was to just cut out one of them.  I know the common advice nowadays is to eat 5-6 meals a day but I haven't been able to get into that kind of routine.

Breakfast: fiber supplement until I run out.  This includes 500ml of water.

Between: 1  500ml cup of black coffee, and about 1000ml of water

Lunch: alternating days of granola + fruit  + soy milk(around 6g of fiber), and whatever my wife had last night (generally about 500-700 Calories of some Asian cuisine.)

Between: another 1500ml or so of water, maybe a piece of fruit

Dinner: salad + protein.  Spring greens, romaine lettuce, olives, croutons, 1 measured serving of dressing (important because of the extra sodium, calories are usually about 60 Calories per 2tbsp serving), rotating through bbq chicken breast, brautwurst, and hamburger patties, and 3g fiber supplement with 500 ml of water.  This is around 600-700 Calories

Before Bed: more water, maybe some fruit

Average water in a day is around 4500ml, fiber intake is 14g supplemental with around 14g or so of natural fiber, and 1400 Calories.  I'm working on upping the calories a couple hundred and increasing my natural fiber intake.  Once I'm done losing weight I plan on doing 2 weeks for every 200 calorie adjustment until I stabilize.  With the additional calories it should be easy to get rid of any fiber supplements.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2014, 05:35:04 PM »

Just wondering what your reasoning is behind all the fiber supplements...?  Perhaps something I should start as well?

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2014, 06:14:46 PM »

Just wondering what your reasoning is behind all the fiber supplements...?  Perhaps something I should start as well?

According to the US National Academy of Science fiber intake should be around 14g/1000Calories.  The fiber is to help aid in digestion, keeps you regular, and also slows down digestion a little and fights some of the side effects of fructose.  It is important to get enough water with fiber and to also introduce or remove intake in steps.  A sudden increase in fiber can result in constipation as stools gain bulk, but the same can happen similarly with reducing fiber suddenly.

As always it is best to get your fiber from natural food sources such as vegetables, fruits, and nuts, but on a low calorie diet it can be hard to balance the amount of fiber needed.  I have been watching the fiber I take and working on getting rid of the supplements.  I realized at one point my supplements were adding up to 23g by themselves, now they are roughly 13g.  I find taking them at regular times every day helps.  Added bonus is you don't spend too much time in the bathroom.

Also recommend the YouTube video lecture which I linked before called "Sugar: The Bitter Truth".  It's a good talk about the problems with sugar and how most sugar you find naturally is combined with fiber, the natural cure for sugar.  Ever tried to eat sugar cane?

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2014, 09:14:27 PM »
Ever tried to eat sugar cane?

Or bees?

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2014, 09:42:16 PM »
LOL, at least you started :)  My "official" start date is Friday... got some buddies in town so it's been a bit of a drink-fest, lol.

OMG, i dug out some 2006 pictures (when I was probably the fittest)... lol... i'm gonna pin that picture to my desk for inspiration :)

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2014, 09:39:53 AM »
I decided to try a new tactic to manage night shift.  Night shift screws with your metabolism anyway, and there are only two modes.  The first is that I'm so busy I have no time to eat except for stuffing something fast into my face, and the second is that it's so slow I start eating out of boredom.  Our lovely patients and families are always bringing us sugary treats.

1) Keep a water bottle at the nurses' station, and drink a bottle of water in between each coffee.
2) Bring a healthful dinner (like a salad) for the slower nights, but leave it in the fridge so it's still good if I don't get a chance to eat it
3) Bring snacks (jerky, trail mix) for the fast nights
4) Bring a homemade protein shake.  I know real food > shakes, but it's practical for me.  Having one at work saved me from doughnuts one night and brownies another.  I can just stop quickly and grab a few sips on the fast nights and it will hold me over for a while.  Sometimes you have to do what works.

It means I'm bringing a largish lunchbag every night, but my bases are covered. 

Dulcimina

• Stubble
Re: Lose 15 pounds by Dec 31, 2014
« Reply #136 on: August 14, 2014, 10:14:50 AM »
Just added my name to the spreadsheet.  I'm going to track both in lbs and in kg.  I don't have a scale at home, so I've been using the one at work.  It measures kilos out to one decimal place, but rounds up the pounds to the nearest whole number.  It's kinda of discouraging to not see it record any changes, so I'll record the kg as well.

I did really well last week with everything on my list.  This week, I've done nothing on the list.

I'm in too!  Currently 150 so 15lbs sounds like a good.  My changes will be:
1) Lift heavy things three times per week
2) Walk at least 30 mins every day
3) Work in my garden at least three times per week.  It's a community garden so not as convenient as just walking out the front door.
4) I have the same problem as hermoninny with buying crap at work when I don't have healthy alternatives prepared.  So a) Batch cook delicious meals/snacks once per week and b) give up going to the convenience store for one week.

I've felt hungry after eating at work, so ended up at the convenience store every day.  I'm going to salvage the week by going for a quick walk in a few minutes, to pick up something healthier/cheaper to supplement lunch.  I'll walk home tonight.  For tomorrow, I'll bring extra food for lunch and lift.

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2014, 11:04:01 AM »
First day went well.  I ate 2 meals -- one around noon and then dinner with the family.  It was much easier than I thought to simply not eat.  In the past, I have done smaller, frequent meals and I find that this approach leaves me feeling hungry and unsatisfied.  Eating two larger meals was much more filling.   

And I don't know if I am doing the Google doc right.  I filled in my info, but don't see my name on the document.  Is my information showing up for anyone? 

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #138 on: August 14, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
Ever tried to eat sugar cane?

Or bees?

Ha ha ha.  Ouch.  Bees.
Sugar cane is delish to chew, but impossible to "eat".  I added some fiber supplement to my morning coffee (to which I add honey) as a substitute for bees. :)

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2014, 11:34:47 AM »
And I don't know if I am doing the Google doc right.  I filled in my info, but don't see my name on the document.  Is my information showing up for anyone?

I had that same problem at first, what I found is that on the graph page you can just type in your name and it will populate the graph, I don't know why the dropdown doesn't show our names.

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2014, 12:18:21 PM »
I had that same problem at first, what I found is that on the graph page you can just type in your name and it will populate the graph, I don't know why the dropdown doesn't show our names.

Thank you, I tried your suggestion.  I still don't see my name in the list and think I may have altered the document.  If so, my apologies.  I don't often use Google docs and am unsure of how to save my info.

Off to research Google docs now. 

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2014, 12:33:20 PM »

Thank you, I tried your suggestion.  I still don't see my name in the list and think I may have altered the document.  If so, my apologies.  I don't often use Google docs and am unsure of how to save my info.

Off to research Google docs now.

I have fixed the google doc now and added you to the end.  On the Graph page never edit any fields, they are auto-populated.  The Yellow field dropdown if you do not see your name you can type it in, the rest of the fields will be filled in from the first sheet.

To add yourself to the first sheet you should scroll to the far right and add it to a blank column.  If there are no blank columns right click on the last blank columns header and select "Insert 1 Right" to add another column.

Everyone else, I haven't gone through to verify that any data was lost, next time you enter your weight verify if last weeks is still there.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2014, 12:42:09 PM »
I'll join!

I have been trying to lose weight for a few months and I am, but veeeeeerrrrrry slowly.  I am down about 5lb but it took me about 4 months to lose it.  Turning 40 seems to have made weight loss a lot harder.  I found this blog and I am going to make the veggie packs for snacks this weekend and mason jar salads for lunches:  http://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/

I am 144-145 lbs right now and I am going to shoot for 135lbs by Christmas.

I am counting calories on myfitnesspal as well as running 3-4 times a week and lifting weights 1-2 times a week. 

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
I adjusted the Drop Down range now to include everyone so far, so you should see your name in the list.

If anyone was interested OpenDiet.net does this and we are working on including a goal weight trajectory in it too.  The only difference is that it uses trend smoothing which can be seen by looking at my graph in my signature.  The site will fill in days you don't log, so logging in once a week still works out fine.  Recently we also added tracking your body fat %.

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2014, 03:58:37 PM »
To add yourself to the first sheet you should scroll to the far right and add it to a blank column.  If there are no blank columns right click on the last blank columns header and select "Insert 1 Right" to add another column.

Ah!   This is the bit that I was missing.  Thank you for the help. 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2014, 08:03:29 PM »
I adjusted the Drop Down range now to include everyone so far, so you should see your name in the list.

I never thought there would be so many people signing up!

MariaSouth

• Bristles
« Reply #146 on: August 14, 2014, 08:30:14 PM »
Ok, I think I will join. I am trying to quit smoking and would not want to gain any more weight.

Currently around 160 lbs and 5'9''. My goal is to fit in those other pants I have in the drawers. I do not want to buy pants and only fit in one!!! Have used this only one for two years now. It surely needs a break.

I dont eat too bad, need to exercise more, walk more.

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2014, 08:55:34 AM »
I have been doing pretty well.  I lost 4 lbs but then gained back 3 lbs this week due to stress.  I am not sure if this is accurate because my scale is acting funny.  Is anyone here using a fitbit to track calories burned?  It is expensive, but my mom offered to buy it for my birthday and I am trying to decide if it is worth it.

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2014, 09:09:07 AM »
I have been doing pretty well.  I lost 4 lbs but then gained back 3 lbs this week due to stress.  I am not sure if this is accurate because my scale is acting funny.  Is anyone here using a fitbit to track calories burned?  It is expensive, but my mom offered to buy it for my birthday and I am trying to decide if it is worth it.

DW bought me one as a retirement gift. It stopped communicating with the dongle after just one day. We took it back, only to find out that many are returned for the same reason.

Maybe just go with an older style step counter - inexpensive, and good enough to track walking.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #149 on: August 15, 2014, 11:57:10 AM »
LOL, at least you started :)  My "official" start date is Friday... got some buddies in town so it's been a bit of a drink-fest, lol.

OMG, i dug out some 2006 pictures (when I was probably the fittest)... lol... i'm gonna pin that picture to my desk for inspiration :)

Good luck (if you are starting today)!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!