Author Topic: Less to Landfills 2021  (Read 10942 times)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Less to Landfills 2021
« on: December 31, 2020, 01:59:12 PM »
The challenge: Do your part in 2021 to keep stuff out of landfills. Post things here about ways you reduced waste, repurposed something, intercepted something that would get tossed, and so on - big or small, if you made less garbage in some way, post it here!

Here are some ideas to start.

- Buy the weirdest looking vegetables you can find, since most people don't like them and grocery stores end up tossing them. But post pictures of them here before you eat them. I want to see the three-legged carrots in all their glory.

- Try really hard to produce zero food waste. Meal plan!

- Join your local Buy Nothing group or Zero Waste group, and if there's something you need, ask for it there first. Likewise, if you're going to throw something out, post it there first to see if someone wants it. Also try to buy things secondhand if you can't get it for free.

- Do a trash audit - keep all your garbage produced for a week, then go through it and see what your main categories are, and focus on finding ways to reduce those.

- Look for ways to buy things unpackaged, like soap bars or shampoo bars versus stuff in plastic bottles.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Less to Landfills 2021
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 02:11:50 PM »
I like this idea! I already do a lot of trading to get used stuff and give away things I don't use. I am pretty good about eating all the food that comes into my house and composting scraps. I'm also a big fan of my beeswax wraps instead of cling wrap. But I could definitely improve on buying food with less packaging like choosing the veggies that don't come in plastic and always bringing my reusable produce bags when I go shopping. I recently started making my own yogurt so that saves a lot of plastic containers. Looking forward to getting some more inspiration and tips here!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 02:43:25 PM »
A few things of done very recently:

Made a storage thing for my cat's toys out of materials I already had versus buy one.

Started composting my used tea leaves. For some reason I'd been throwing them out.

Gave away a bed sheet I'd bought that was the wrong size to someone on my Buy Nothing group who needed it for her kid's daycare - apparently some of them are making people provide their own sheets now due to covid. So I didn't have to throw it out (the store went bankrupt recently, so no returns), and she didn't have to buy a new one with all the packaging.

doingmybest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 03:56:45 PM »
For Christmas I asked for and received: 

Reusable bamboo "paper" towels.  No more papertowes going to landfill.

Toothpaste bites in reusable glass jars.

Beeswax wraps so I won't be using cling wrap.  I also frequently just put a plate on top of any bowls going into the fridge, just like my mother and grandmother did.

Looking for more ways to reduce this year too.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 07:14:43 PM »
My main grocery store has a section with produce that's reeeaaaally close to the wire, like they would probably throw them out in a day or two, and I grabbed a bag of butternut squashes for $1 today with no real plan of what to do with them. I decided to make butternut tarts, which are in the oven now. We don't drink alcohol, or really much of anything, so for new years tonight we're going to sort of clink tarts together in a toast. I guess that's a weird thing we do, lol.

Three butternut squashes saved from the landfill and made into delicious food. Yay!

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 07:41:12 PM »
I’m definitely in for this. Spent the last couple years reading up on the global garbage crisis, and want to do my part.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 10:42:56 PM »
Great topic.
We grow a lot of food, and have dogs and chooks and a big compost bin so very little food waste. However I still sometimes let things rot in the fridge through sheer laziness. We are lucky enough that our local council provides us all with Organic Waste bins which take things like meat bones and dog poo. We even get corn-compostible dog poo bags.

I already take glass or plastic containers when I buy meat at the butcher or fish at the fishmongers but my husband still sometimes buys supermarket meat in plastic, so if I can take over the grocery shopping completely we could do better!

One goal is to contact - via FB or phone - a company whose product I love, but has non-recyclable packaging, and offer feedback. I am aiming for weekly but I am tipping monthly will be more attainable!

sebi13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 03:34:27 AM »
I want to focus on reducing food-waste as well! I live on my own for just a month, I cook everyday, mostly vegetarian dishes. I'm mainly here in this thread to gather ideas and whenever I stumble upon something interesting posting it here.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 01:39:41 PM »
I want to focus on reducing food-waste as well! I live on my own for just a month, I cook everyday, mostly vegetarian dishes. I'm mainly here in this thread to gather ideas and whenever I stumble upon something interesting posting it here.

You should check out the documentary "Just Eat It!" if you haven't already, it's an amazing and absolutely hilarious documentary about food waste.

sebi13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 03:30:00 PM »

You should check out the documentary "Just Eat It!" if you haven't already, it's an amazing and absolutely hilarious documentary about food waste.

I didn't know about Just Eat It so far; I finished watching it right now. Pretty interesting documentary, makes you think about food waste even more. Thanks for the recommendation!

At the close off they mentioned that you can freeze most things and are massively extending shelf life by doing so. As a bit of context, I live in a studio apartment and have a tiny freezer (< 10cm/4 inches in height). The book 'food rules' also recommends buying a freezer, mainly because you can buy stuff in bulk and don't have to worry about expiring items, especially when you are living on your own.
I did a quick napkin calculation whether buying a larger freezer is financially sound in my situation. I used worse-case data in order to not be surprised with higher costs if I decide to go with it. In my area a freezer (~80l) costs around 150€ new, I'd probably buy it through a craigslist equivalent of my country. Extra power costs would total to ~30€/year. I expect the freezer to last at least 5 years (60 months). Thus, all things considered my monthly costs would be 5€/month (150€/60 months + 30€/12 months). In order to financially justify this purchase I would need to save 5+€ every month. So I guess it's not a no-brainer, but I'll think about it, maybe it would be worth it in the future.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2021, 05:36:45 PM »
I can get on board with this one. I want to reduce processed foods in our diet, and also get more chickens in the spring. We are already pretty good about not wasting food. We've gotten lazy since the second kid came along. For one, I want to go back to buying the large tub of plain yogurt and bag of frozen fruit instead of individual yogurts. I have already started making my own salad dressing again.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 06:31:05 PM by Morning Glory »

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 07:35:53 PM »
PTF and to look for ideas.

I currently don't throw any vegetable waste in the garbage. I believe that basic consumables/packagings (grocery store packaging/containers, empty laundry detergent bottles, etc.) are our biggest sources of waste, but I'm going to pay closer attention.

Thanks for the thread!

sebi13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2021, 02:16:50 AM »
I can get on board with this one. I want to reduce processed foods in our diet, and also get more chickens in the spring. We are already pretty good about not wasting food. We've gotten lazy since the second kid came along. For one, I want to go back to buying the large tub of plain yogurt and bag of frozen fruit instead of individual yogurts. I have already started making my own salad dressing again.

Since I'm experimenting with different (self-made) salad dressings lately, I'm curious how you make your salad dressing. Are there any special ingredients you could recommend?

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2021, 06:25:16 AM »

Since I'm experimenting with different (self-made) salad dressings lately, I'm curious how you make your salad dressing. Are there any special ingredients you could recommend?

I'm not the one you asked, but I have a favorite recipe! 

I use a 1-cup mason jar to make mine.  I start with a few good grinds of salt and pepper in the bottom.  Then I grate a clove of garlic into the jar, or use garlic powder if necessary.  I then add a spoonful of mustard (usually dijon) and of honey or maple syrup.  Then I fill it up to just under halfway with balsamic or apple cider vinegar, and the rest of the way with extra virgin olive oil.

The only downside is that it solidifies in the fridge, so I have to either take it out to warm up a half hour or so before I'm going to eat or otherwise I run it under hot water to get the oil to melt and be able to shake it up again.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2021, 06:59:11 AM »

I use a 1-cup mason jar to make mine.  I start with a few good grinds of salt and pepper in the bottom.  Then I grate a clove of garlic into the jar, or use garlic powder if necessary.  I then add a spoonful of mustard (usually dijon) and of honey or maple syrup.  Then I fill it up to just under halfway with balsamic or apple cider vinegar, and the rest of the way with extra virgin olive oil.

The only downside is that it solidifies in the fridge, so I have to either take it out to warm up a half hour or so before I'm going to eat or otherwise I run it under hot water to get the oil to melt and be able to shake it up again.

I use three parts olive oil to one part vinegar, add spices, herbs, minced garlic (I cheat and buy the big tub of minced garlic at Costco), maybe some finely chopped green pepper and onion, then shake. I've experimented with different vinegars to change the flavor a little.

I don't put it in the fridge at all, and it's never gone bad. I just have to re-shake before using.

sebi13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2021, 07:43:18 AM »

I use three parts olive oil to one part vinegar, add spices, herbs, minced garlic (I cheat and buy the big tub of minced garlic at Costco), maybe some finely chopped green pepper and onion, then shake. I've experimented with different vinegars to change the flavor a little.

I don't put it in the fridge at all, and it's never gone bad. I just have to re-shake before using.

Thanks @Morning Glory  and @SquashingDebt ! I'm gonna try a mix of your approaches. Thanks again!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2021, 08:59:24 AM »
I'm in to get ideas!  I've hit a bit of a plateau on my trash-reduction.  Currently we compost all food scraps, and most of our food comes from a delivery box that packages veggies in paper bags (which also get composted) and we give back the box and refrigeration bags for reuse.  For Christmas we got reusable tissues - like handkerchiefs, but without the gross factor of putting the dirties back in your pocket - and a cloth paper-towel replacement.  I already use kitchen towels for most cleanup, but some dirtier tasks DH still used paper.  We use cloth napkins.  I bake all our bread and do a lot of canning, so all reusable jars.

Most of our waste these days comes from packaging, mostly dairy products, occasional meat/fish (though we've been eating way less this year), and anything that get ordered online.  I've hit this plateau because there are things I know I could do to reduce plastic use, but they'd require a large time investment from me, and I'm already having trouble keeping up with the load from work, regular housework and cooking every day, and extensive in-process home repairs that really need to be pushed forward.

Things that I can do, but usually don't have time for:
 - Making yogurt - milk is still in plastic, but less per volume than yogurt
 - Make homemade soap to replace plastic packaged soap - I have all the tools, but not the time
 - Make granola to replace cereal for DH - I've switched to toast for breakfast, but DH likes his cereals

Things that only take money instead of time:
 - Use beeswax wraps instead of plastic wrap - planned as soon as the current stock runs low

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2021, 09:17:32 AM »
I am new to this group but would like to point out that every little bit makes a difference with recycling but the big corporations need to start doing their part. I saw this on Youtube yesterday and it is quite disturbing. For big corporations, buyer returns are nothing but a headache and rather than try to restock the shelves, they toss the stuff or sell pallets full of returns to liquidators. The liquidators sell the pallets to individuals who in turn try to salvage the best of what is on the pallet to resell. However, there may be only half a pallet of usable stuff so the rest gets tossed and goes to the landfill. The bean counters at these big corps don't see any profit dealing with the returns so they either send the stuff to shredding places, landfills or liquidators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1yqcagavfY

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2021, 09:19:40 AM »
I'm in to get ideas!  I've hit a bit of a plateau on my trash-reduction.  Currently we compost all food scraps, and most of our food comes from a delivery box that packages veggies in paper bags (which also get composted) and we give back the box and refrigeration bags for reuse.  For Christmas we got reusable tissues - like handkerchiefs, but without the gross factor of putting the dirties back in your pocket - and a cloth paper-towel replacement.  I already use kitchen towels for most cleanup, but some dirtier tasks DH still used paper.  We use cloth napkins.  I bake all our bread and do a lot of canning, so all reusable jars.

Most of our waste these days comes from packaging, mostly dairy products, occasional meat/fish (though we've been eating way less this year), and anything that get ordered online.  I've hit this plateau because there are things I know I could do to reduce plastic use, but they'd require a large time investment from me, and I'm already having trouble keeping up with the load from work, regular housework and cooking every day, and extensive in-process home repairs that really need to be pushed forward.

- Make homemade soap to replace plastic packaged soap - I have all the tools, but not the time
 - Make granola to replace cereal for DH - I've switched to toast for breakfast, but DH likes his cereals

- Use beeswax wraps instead of plastic wrap - planned as soon as the current stock runs low

I have eliminated plastic wrap and have never seen the need of beeswax wraps. Could you eliminate the need altogheter? I use plates over bowls and otherwise I put food or sandwiches in boxes.

I have also eliminated plastic bags for food. I use boxes for food or clotheswraps for bread.

I also use schampoo and soapbars instead of bottles.  Loose tea is also nicer then teabags. Some stores have textile recycling.

Zero waste blogs have been useful with tips. I have reduced the trash as far as possible without going to food specialty stores. I am to lazy to do that. I have a fruit bag of trash about once in month from normal consumption. Rest is going to recycling. I also prefer to buy food in cardboards instead of plastic that have a bad recycling rate.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2021, 09:54:37 AM »

I have eliminated plastic wrap and have never seen the need of beeswax wraps. Could you eliminate the need altogheter? I use plates over bowls and otherwise I put food or sandwiches in boxes.

I have also eliminated plastic bags for food. I use boxes for food or clotheswraps for bread.

I also use schampoo and soapbars instead of bottles.  Loose tea is also nicer then teabags. Some stores have textile recycling.

Zero waste blogs have been useful with tips. I have reduced the trash as far as possible without going to food specialty stores. I am to lazy to do that. I have a fruit bag of trash about once in month from normal consumption. Rest is going to recycling. I also prefer to buy food in cardboards instead of plastic that have a bad recycling rate.

I use plastic wrap over the top of the bowl when raising bread dough.  I tried a towel over the top of the bowl, but it just doesn't keep enough air/moisture in.  That's why I think a beeswax wrap would be an adequate replacement.  I already store leftovers in glass containers.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2021, 11:47:05 AM »
I use plastic wrap over the top of the bowl when raising bread dough.  I tried a towel over the top of the bowl, but it just doesn't keep enough air/moisture in.  That's why I think a beeswax wrap would be an adequate replacement.  I already store leftovers in glass containers.

I have a nylon scarf I put over rising dough, and also for some recipes I lightly oil the dough before rising. I find that works quite well. Before I did that, I reused a plastic grocery bag and just put it pretty tightly over the bowl.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2021, 12:33:03 PM »

We have always used kitchen towels for that. I had never considered using a plastic wrap for that.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2021, 12:56:45 PM »
If moisture was a concern, you could also dampen the kitchen towel first.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2021, 03:20:17 PM »
@SquashingDebt, you could pour your salad dressing into ice cube trays before refrigerating. A cube would be enough for a salad.  If too much, just pour less in each compartment.

I’ll join this thread too.  I need to make more of an effort to reduce plastics.  Most of my trash is packaging unfortunately.  I do compost ( well, take stuff to the dump, which does it for me) and have about a grocery bag of garbage about monthly.

I have a dog and I actually pick up the poop and flush it every day.  The thought of all that (not to mention diaper contents for those who have kids) leaching into the groundwater, revolts me.  My roommate almost had a coronary when I told her what I do.  Her preferred method is to just leave it in the yard, because it will disappear “naturally.”  Yeah, not before everyone steps in it then walks on my carpet!

I also use whatever plastic bags I empty for garbage, since I take reusable bags to the store.  They’re going out anyway, so they may as well be full.

sebi13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2021, 03:39:30 PM »

We have always used kitchen towels for that. I had never considered using a plastic wrap for that.

I find it fascinating that so many in this forum are baking their own sourdough bread, even if probably some form of survivorship bias plays a role (i.e. the people who are not baking bread won't comment on this). It's a stark contrast to my real life, where I know just a single person who's baking their own sourdough bread (and she's only doing it once per month). Additionally, I think this number will increase once I get older, I'm 24 years, so I guess that might play a large role as well.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2021, 04:08:45 PM »
I've tried to use a damp kitchen towel before, and it doesn't work as well.  We have very dry air, especially in the winter when I have to place the bowl right next to the air vent to get a decent rise, and it's a long enough rise that the dough still develops a crust if it's not sealed well.  I don't use oil on this dough, it's a straight flour-water-salt-yeast recipe.  When I make pizza dough, I do oil the balls and use a damp towel, and that works ok.  I've still had better results with plastic.

@sebi13 I only started making sourdough at the beginning of the shutdowns, as yeast was sold out a lot of places.  I also bake much more often now that I'm using sourdough - twice a week, which is enough for all our bread consumption (household of 2 adults).  Before the pandemic I only baked once every week or two, and not sourdough.  Honestly, I miss my rye bread, but I haven't restocked rye flour and I have to use the starter at least once a week anyway unless I change the feeding schedule.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2021, 11:57:25 AM »
I've tried to use a damp kitchen towel before, and it doesn't work as well.  We have very dry air, especially in the winter when I have to place the bowl right next to the air vent to get a decent rise, and it's a long enough rise that the dough still develops a crust if it's not sealed well.  I don't use oil on this dough, it's a straight flour-water-salt-yeast recipe.  When I make pizza dough, I do oil the balls and use a damp towel, and that works ok.  I've still had better results with plastic.

I wonder how some of the old bread-baking cultures have handled that, like France or Italy. I have heard that boulangeries tend to make a much wetter dough than we do, so that might be one way, but I honestly have no idea. Traditional methods do generally have a much longer rising time, so it must be something they encountered.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2021, 01:16:32 PM »

I wonder how some of the old bread-baking cultures have handled that, like France or Italy. I have heard that boulangeries tend to make a much wetter dough than we do, so that might be one way, but I honestly have no idea. Traditional methods do generally have a much longer rising time, so it must be something they encountered.

Use a heavy duty shower cap to put over the bowl. You can wash it over and over to reuse.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2021, 01:47:16 PM »

Use a heavy duty shower cap to put over the bowl. You can wash it over and over to reuse.

Is there a reason that's environmentally better than the beeswax wrap I had proposed to get, given that I will have to purchase either one?

I'm sure bakeries, or even just people baking at home, had lots of techniques that we either don't know or aren't practical, given that we don't have a housewife home all day to tend the kitchen.  Unfortunately once I go back to work tomorrow, bread has to either be either under 4 hours or weekends only, which limits what else I can do on the weekend since I am chained to the bread timer.  I do make the sourdough a much wetter dough than I was used to using with other recipes, otherwise it won't rise at all in my conditions.  Sadly this means I can't make freeform loaves with this recipe.  I know there are ways to do it, but they are too time consuming for my life these days.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 01:52:20 PM by Raenia »

Mmm_Donuts

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2021, 03:47:05 PM »

What about using a wet towel topped by a large cookie sheet, or a plate large enough to cover the bowl?

BTW - excellent challenge. I am pretty good with food waste but would love to be closer to zero waste than I currently am. I still buy too much stuff in packaging.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2021, 05:06:12 PM »
I don't cover my bowl and I don't time it. It takes a little longer in winter than summer. I use active dry yeast though, never tried sourdough.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2021, 10:51:42 AM »
I'm in! When I retired in July I started recycling plastic, glass, steel cans and cardboard. We already were recycling aluminum since there was a tiny profit to be had from it. I have started saving 2 litre soda and juice containers to stockpile water for disaster prepping. Plenty of videos out there to learn how to safely use items you may already have for prepping.

windytrail

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2021, 12:05:12 PM »
Great thread. Some helpful things we do to reduce waste:

- Avoid covering all the produce you buy in plastic bags. Instead, just rinse it off when you get home.
- Freeze your veggie scraps to make veggie broth (30-45min in the instant pot). Compost the rest. If your municipality does not offer the service, then make a pile in your backyard. If you do not have a backyard, get worms (vermicomposting).
- Avoid buying highly packaged food items out of principle and disgust.
- Bars of soap for almost everything to reduce plastic waste. I even use a Kirk's castile soap for washing dishes. No powerful solvents are needed if you are quick to clean them and use good brushes.
- Cloth towels instead of paper towels or napkins.
- Tooth powder instead of toothpaste. Lasts much, much longer. In fact, try to avoid buying any products that already have water mixed in them. Do you own mixing.
- DIY skin salve/moisturizer. Ours is made of beeswax, cocoa butter, olive oil, and essential oils. A similar mixture can be used for leather polish.
- Brew your own beer and reuse bottles.
- Make your own yogurt. We use the instant pot for this.
- Buying oats and flour in 50lb bags to minimize packaging waste and save money.

For sourdough I always cover with a damp towel to rise. If you still have problems with moisture then you can spritz the dough with a spray bottle.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2021, 12:48:32 PM »
Great thread!

@Raenia  , the beeswax wraps should work fine, since you're going to need to use something. We also live in a very dry climate, and the top of our rising bread gets crusty unless it's covered with something fully moisture-proof. We sometimes use plastic produce bags (which I'll re-use until they develop holes -- I also use them to cover the convoluted top of the food processor when I'm using it without needing to use the feed tube to save on washing), but we also make several loaves of bread at once, leave the dough quite wet, and store it in the fridge in a 2-gallon container. Then when we're ready to bake it, I'll dump out one loaf's worth, add a bit more flour so I can shape it, and let it warm up/rise in a silicone baking mat, which I can then entirely transfer to the pre-heated casserole dish I'll be baking it in.

@sebi13 , we make not-strictly-sourdough -- each 1.5 gal mixture contains about 1/2 Tb yeast, but it's also got sourdough starter added, and we tend to just re-make it in the bottom of the same container, using the old european strategy of keeping a bit of the old dough to start the next batch. We started because all the bakeries we liked bread from closed down in May or so, and what was available in the bread department either sucked, or was super-expensive, or both. Also, I feed a household of 3-4, with 1-2 teenaged boys, so the sheer quantity of calories that flows through the kitchen is fairly high, and a good loaf of slow-rise bread will keep the troops pacified for a while...

I will point out that at some point this summer we watched a dozen or so videos of italian grannies making homemade pasta, and they almost all made the dough, then put it in a plastic bag to rest in the refrigerator for an hour or more before they rolled it out.  So in that case the traditional makers were pleased to have the plastic bag option!

We've been making our own yogurt since I did a garbage audit and decided that yogurt containers were taking up a reasonable % of the trash. I should re-do the inspection and see what our big items are now... I bet we can now recycle the plastic bags that hold apples'n' stuff when I buy 5 lb bags, should look into that, too.

My latest "less to landfill" accomplishment was the lovely, warm, lightweight 100% synthetic sweater I'm wearing now -- it had a horrible funnel neckline, and was too boxy to be worn by an adult human being. 15 min with needle and thread (to change the neckline) and 10 min with a machine (to take in the sides) and it's now quite pleasant to wear. Since this thing is never going to decompose, I picked it up (for $1 at a thrift store sale) with the intention of making it wearable, rather than letting it get thrown out.

We also compost (both in our yard, and courtesy of the city), make our own soap, bread, granola, and 95% or so of our food, use cloth for cleaning most messes, and tend to buy pantry staples in the largest containers that make financial sense. Or paper bags, in the case of flour, which oddly seems to be less expensive at Kroger in 5 - 10 lb bags. Although we do eat meat, most years we buy it from a local rancher, and the processor mostly wraps it in butcher paper (there's a bit of plastic beneath it, but no styrofoam trays or anything like that). I'm definitely reading along for more ideas!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2021, 01:07:47 PM »
Toothpaste bites in reusable glass jars.

I'm using these as well. No plastic tube and the shipping weight is far lower.

We also started buying locally made tea in bulk instead of a tea bag inside of a plastic bag inside of a box. The used tea leaves are spread around the rose bush.

Started using a shampoo bar (locally made).

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2021, 12:27:40 PM »
Making less waste was one of my big goals for 2020...and then covid came along and I ended up probably producing more waste (boxes from shipping, take out containers) then any other year of my life.

Hopefully I can do better in 2021. Food waste is a big one for us--I really struggle to cook for just two people, and I also am bad at eating leftovers.

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2021, 06:51:30 PM »
Can anyone suggest a resource for legitimately recycling refrigerator water filters?  I have a GE fridge and emailed them, they discontinued the program. I found https://www.recyclewaterfilters.com/ but it seems a little off, the about the page indicates it is WaterFilterStore.com, and the basic links to paypal, mastercard, and visa at the bottom of the pages aren't true links, just dead images. I'd love to recycle the filter, but not pay to have it end up in a dump.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2021, 07:49:12 PM »
I found a local take out place this week that has zero waste containers... everything came in compostable paper. We don’t order out much at all, but I will definitely go there if we do.

bloodaxe

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2021, 07:44:11 AM »
I'll join this thread.

I'm working on removing paper towels from my apartment. None in the apartment right now. Rags have been working well this year.

I scroll on permies occasionally, and there's a lot of tips on setting up a rag system: https://permies.com/wiki/pep-bb-nest-sand-rag
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 07:46:15 AM by bloodaxe »

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2021, 10:04:40 AM »
I did some math and figured out the answer to something that's been puzzling me for quite awhile.

I've wondered why the vast majority of our garbage is related to food and personal care, when a) we put a lot of effort into reducing that, and b) neither of those are high spending categories, o things we buy an excessive amount of. Shouldn't the trash be more evenly distributed across categories?

So I looked at our spending for 2020, and found something interesting. Those categories are almost the only things we send money on that are actual physical objects. A shocking 72% of our spending involves no physical object at all, so of course it would produce no garbage! That would be things like rent, health spending like dental work or physio, entertainment/activity spending, bus fare, and bills. 72%! That is fascinating to me.

CodingHare

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2021, 11:58:48 AM »
Joining, I spent last year reverting to old wasteful habits.  Time to take responsibility!

My area has a special plastics recycle company that specializes in clingwrap, plastic baggies, batteries.  We signed up since we haven't been going to the dump due to COVID.

Going to use up my current bottled shampoo and switch to plastic free shampoo bars.

crimp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2021, 04:52:29 PM »
This is a great topic!

I'm working on removing paper towels from my apartment. None in the apartment right now. Rags have been working well this year.

This is one of my favorites. I like bar towels for basically everything. Mine are a very attractive green color (for now, anyways).

My partner got me a membership to a local compost collection service over the holidays to go with the new apartment. It was a great surprise! I'm looking forward to getting some soil from them when I need to repot some indoor plants.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2021, 08:38:01 PM »
I'm in!

I've been trying to reduce plastic packaging on household items. Some recent swaps:
- Bar shampoo and conditioner instead of liquid (I love the shampoo bar, not quite sold on the conditioner, but I'll use this one up and then probably try one more variety)
- Bar soap instead of body wash
- Bar dish soap instead of liquid (a bit harder to use, but works fine)
- Laundry detergent strips instead of liquid laundry detergent
- Making my own cleaning spray with vinegar and lemon peels. The vinegar still comes in a plastic bottle, but it still reduces waste since I dilute it, and since I can buy vinegar in a large bottle

The main areas I need to work on are food packaging waste and buying things online on Amazon/Target.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2021, 09:19:56 PM »
@Raenia have you tried proving bread in the oven, turned off, with a pan full of hot water at the bottom? I live in a dry climate and it works really well, even if using a cloth to cover it (although I don't make sourdough).

I haven't found a good alternative to plastic wrap for recipes that require a second proof after shaping the loaves. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2021, 09:30:43 PM »
I've been hanging out more in the "$1 bag of veggies close to going bad" section of my grocery market the last couple of weeks, and had some really good luck - last week I got a bag of about eight peppers for $1, and this week I got a large bag of weird yams and sweet potatoes and god knows what else (maybe some squash?) for $1. It feels great to keep so much still-edible food of of the landfill. I feel like in general we're getting back to a lot of our old good grocery habits that got abandoned for most of 2020 due to the pandemic.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2021, 10:00:34 PM »
Thirding the shout-out for Buy Nothing groups. I just posted two items to give away on my chapter. For those joining the thread who may not have heard of Buy Nothing before, here's how to find your local group: https://buynothingproject.org/find-a-group/ For a long time I assumed it was the same as Freecycle, which I also use, but there are volunteering and social aspects to Buy Nothing that Freecycle doesn't have.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 12:04:01 AM by draco44 »

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2021, 07:17:28 AM »
@Raenia have you tried proving bread in the oven, turned off, with a pan full of hot water at the bottom? I live in a dry climate and it works really well, even if using a cloth to cover it (although I don't make sourdough).

I haven't found a good alternative to plastic wrap for recipes that require a second proof after shaping the loaves. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.

I haven't, as I'm afraid of forgetting it's there and turning the oven on.  We are currently without a microwave, so using the oven to reheat leftovers.  It's worth a try though, thanks for the reminder.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2021, 08:12:04 AM »
I haven't, as I'm afraid of forgetting it's there and turning the oven on.  We are currently without a microwave, so using the oven to reheat leftovers.  It's worth a try though, thanks for the reminder.

This obviously won't do you much good right now, but we use our microwave to proof bread.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2021, 10:33:49 AM »
What is this proofing? Does it just speed up the rising process? I let my bread rise until it doubles, then shape it and let it rise until it doubles again. No proofing necessary.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2021, 11:13:49 AM »
What is this proofing? Does it just speed up the rising process? I let my bread rise until it doubles, then shape it and let it rise until it doubles again. No proofing necessary.

Proofing is another word for rise.  When I say I 'proof' my bread, I just mean I stick it somewhere not too cold/drafty to let it rise.