Author Topic: Lent 2017!  (Read 34593 times)

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
Re: Lent 2017!
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2017, 11:21:36 PM »
Today, my coworker delivered unto me 4 boxes of mana from girl scouts. Specifically, the thin mint version. The day before Lent starts.

So, yup. That happened. I don't believe in daily influence of the moving finger dictating my life, but COME ONNNNNN. That's just fucking unfair.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2017, 11:35:07 PM »
Oh, COME ON, COWORKER OF SAILOR SAM!! (S/he is doing Lent, too, maybe??)

But...how many hours til midnight where you are? ;)
I went to a Fat Tuesday party tonight and loaded up...even though I'm not even giving foodstuffs up for Lent.

redbirdfan

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2017, 12:09:07 AM »
Ok.  I'm late to the party but at least I still have an hour to drink.  I'm not religious at all but as a former resident of New Orleans, I do something for Lent every year.  In the past I've gone without spending money (outside of bills), adopted a raw diet and gone vegan.  Now I'm a pseudo vegetarian so the meatless part isn't as hard as it used to be.  Final decision for Lent this year: 1) no booze; 2) no coffee; 3) I must exercise at least 45 minutes at least three x/week; 4) no meat; and 5) Sundays count.  I have one hour to get through the rest of my IPAs.  Tomorrow morning is going to be rough!   

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2017, 02:05:25 AM »
I've finally decided what to give up for Lent --> Data usage on my phone! 

I really hate that I've become one of those people who mindlessly scrolls through Facebook, Instagram, News Outlets, etc while walking through airports (ha, which I do a lot as a Flight Attendant) and waiting around (for buses, other people, whatever).  It drives up my data usage AND it serves absolutely no purpose so I'm going to actually try and stop being so dependant on my smartphone and start using it as a communication device again (phone calls/texts) instead of an all-purpose entertainment centre.  My exceptions to this will be to access an app that I use for work (gives me passenger load information, updates on flying times, crew info, etc), Uber and a car-sharing app I use but otherwise, I'm turning cell data access off for all my other apps and hoping I get through the twitchy withdrawal phase quickly.

I'll still be able to access all those distractions through wifi but that usually only occurs once I get home (or to whichever hotel that's "home" that night) and once I'm online in a more dedicated manner, I usually watch my web time more carefully.

I'm actually not looking forward to this because I know my mindless smartphone use has gotten out of hand. :(

If you are not someone fielding important calls often, you might try putting your phone in airplane mode when you want to be off of it. I already had all my notifications off and my sound/vibrate off, but I've started having my phone in airplane mode on my train commutes (originally to save my battery), and I love the peace and lack of easy distraction. I read books or grade papers instead of wasting time. :)

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2017, 02:07:11 AM »
Have a lovely Ash Wednesday and a positive start to your Lenten sacrifices, everyone. :)

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2017, 08:34:12 AM »
Today, my coworker delivered unto me 4 boxes of mana from girl scouts. Specifically, the thin mint version. The day before Lent starts.

So, yup. That happened. I don't believe in daily influence of the moving finger dictating my life, but COME ONNNNNN. That's just fucking unfair.

So how many did you cram in your hole before midnight?

(No judgment - I had a whisky last night to kick things off.)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2017, 09:12:37 AM »
Happy Ash Wednesday, everyone! (Is it supposed to be solemn or something?? After spring, Lent is my favourite season, so I get giddy.)

I'm blown away by what has already happened via my "practice/lead up", eager that the real thing has finally arrived.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2017, 10:18:04 AM »

So how many did you cram in your hole before midnight?

(No judgment - I had a whisky last night to kick things off.)

Let's just leave it at 'many.'  ;)

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2017, 11:35:15 AM »
Happy Ash Wednesday, everyone! (Is it supposed to be solemn or something?? After spring, Lent is my favourite season, so I get giddy.)

It is supposed to be solemn. Holy day of quiet reflection and whatnot.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2017, 11:46:16 AM »
It is supposed to be solemn. Holy day of quiet reflection and whatnot.

Dammit! When my kid woke, I yelled, "It's Ash Wednesday! The first day of Lent!! I'm SO EXCITED! It's like Christmas for Mummy!!!"

So not good at this...

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2017, 11:49:01 AM »
...and then I wondered if there's such a thing as a Lent song, and with amazement remembered I have a church song book that organizes the music by topic and season! THERE IS A WHOLE LENT SECTION IN IT!! Now I go play and sing!!!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2017, 12:06:44 PM »
I gave up frugality for Lent. Bought a new TV, eating out every day, even hired a maid.

just kidding

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2017, 12:18:22 PM »
hahahahaha, zephyr911! Awesome!!

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2017, 12:21:05 PM »
We always give up wine (which pretty much the only alcohol I drink, but I do drink it most nights with dinner) and then we make a donation with the money we saved.

And we always enjoy playing Lent Madness online!

I wish you a Holy Lent.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2017, 12:23:10 PM »
Even though I am extremely excited, and giddy, and it really is my favourite, I am genuinely doing Lent.

To support my little journey, I did
song (how deep the peace)
reading (from back of Butler Bass's book Grounded)
10 minute silent meditation
song again

Later I will go to my EMDR appt to help me shift the neuro piece of my intention.
Then I will go to an Ash Wednesday service, because that is deeply meaningful to me in that particular community.
Then I will email my accountability statement to my friend.

So grateful for the container that is Lent.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2017, 02:24:46 PM »
...and then I wondered if there's such a thing as a Lent song, and with amazement remembered I have a church song book that organizes the music by topic and season! THERE IS A WHOLE LENT SECTION IN IT!! Now I go play and sing!!!

Ha, you made me laugh!!  I am actually going to a Lenten party tonight, believe it or not.  Soup and salad!

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2017, 03:32:10 PM »

I once gave up worrying for Lent.  Easier said than done.  Like former player said, "It went OK."  My strategy was to catch myself starting to worry, and immediately turn the worry into prayer.  I had a rough year last year, and am finding it very easy to get into a negative mindset.  Have been thinking about giving up complaining for Lent this year.  I assume the same kind of strategy would work - turn the complaint into gratitude as soon as you hear yourself starting.

I think I'll do that this year! It will be perfect timing since I am struggling with health issues and am moving soon.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2017, 07:38:28 PM »
Here's a guy whose voice I enjoyed, reading T.S. Eliot's poem "Ash Wednesday". I wasn't raised Catholic and I'm no longer religious at all, but I !@#$% love this poem.

Click image for YouTube link:

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2017, 11:13:29 PM »
I had a wonderful Ash Wednesday, starting with offering ashes to commuters at the subway/RT station with a clergy colleague this morning, a mid-day service at my church, afternoon service at the local nursing home (where they didn't do an Ash Wednesday service until I moved into the area and offered) then another service this evening at my church.

From the (Canadian) Anglican Book of Alternative Services, a part of the service known as the Exhortation to observe a holy Lent:

I invite you therefore, in the name of the Lord,
to observe a holy Lent
by self-examination, penitence, prayer,
fasting, and almsgiving,
and by reading and meditating on the word of God.

And the blessing of the ashes:

Almighty God, from the dust of the earth you have created us.
May these ashes be for us a sign
of our mortality and penitence,
and a reminder that only by your gracious gift
are we given eternal life;
through Jesus Christ our Saviour. Amen.

p.s. jooniperberries, I am loving your excitement about Lent.  Don't change.  What's that expression - you be you!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2017, 03:52:39 AM »
I love Lent, and I stopped by the church yesterday morning on the way to work.  Because I was wearing ashes all the Catholics came out of the closet at work and identified themselves to comment on it ... Serious (for me) sacrifice this year-- No alcohol. I had a king size cai pirinha Tuesday night to kick things off.    I'm also doing the Whole30 diet on the last 30 days of Lent.  Maybe I'll feel like a whole new person at the end... Either that or my family will want to kill me.

Happy Lent everyone!

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2017, 04:14:21 AM »
A friend came round on Ash Wednesday with a gift of eggs from her chickens and lemons from her tree. 

One.day.late.

She's not Christian, of course.  But she has given me a handy excuse to continue procrastinating about what I'm giving up for Lent, so she is heartily forgiven and has been thoroughly thanked.

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2017, 06:50:31 AM »
Sugar. I've cut out all sweets.  I started about three weeks before Lent, but I'm counting it because it's such a sacrifice for me.  Goal is to make it an entire year -- no ice cream, candy, cookies, cake, brownies, muffins etc.

Verdure

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2017, 10:01:28 AM »

I thought your observance was to give up meat?  Shouldn't thin mints be OK? Those are even vegan...

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2017, 10:12:49 AM »
I decided to give up meat and cheese.  Should be interesting!  Have to be more creative in the kitchen.  Last night was Cocconut curry with fresh Thai Basil that a friend grew in her garden.  With chickpeas, red pepper, cherry tomato, and kale.  served over quinoa/wild rice blend.  Was good!   Night before was vegan tacos that were fantastic!   Giving up meat and cheese will help me get back on track with losing weight too.  I was getting way, way off track on that goal.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2017, 10:22:37 AM »
Some amusing Lent memes for the religiously-minded among us: https://churchpop.com/2015/02/17/16-hilarious-memes-to-kick-off-your-lent/

I forgot about having given up sweets and ate a package of my kid's fruit snacks yesterday. Oops.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2017, 10:27:30 AM »
I'm grumpy. I hate vegan food. This God character better fucking appreciate all this goddamn sacrifice.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2017, 10:29:32 AM »
I'm grumpy. I hate vegan food. This God character better fucking appreciate all this goddamn sacrifice.

Hmm. PJ may need to stage an intervention here.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2017, 11:38:18 AM »
I've already had a couple of debit card/cash transactions...no reason to pull out the credit card so far.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2017, 01:56:51 PM »

Hmm. PJ may need to stage an intervention here.

Mmmm.  I think I will leave that one alone.  I don't want to add doing push-ups to my Lenten discipline. 

But don't worry too much, for "the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words."  (Romans 8:26)

Some amusing Lent memes for the religiously-minded among us: https://churchpop.com/2015/02/17/16-hilarious-memes-to-kick-off-your-lent/

I forgot about having given up sweets and ate a package of my kid's fruit snacks yesterday. Oops.

And one more, on the Lenten theme - I love just about every one of these "Coffee with Jesus' strips:

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2017, 05:42:19 PM »
PJ - That comic was awesome!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2017, 05:46:26 PM »
Apparently god figured I wasn't kidding. Shortly after I last posted here, it ushered in the third most intensive, crash course in my stated intention it could think of. I'm just glad it didn't choose the first or second. With the help of a far away friend, and absolutely no one else despite countless begs, I'm miraculously staying the course! Holy fuck!

I do think the journey will bring incredible results.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2017, 06:23:50 PM »
Kudos to those who are following through on their Lenten observances!  The first week is always the toughest, I find.

Roman Catholic here.  I gave up sugar in my coffee for Lent.  No non-sugar sweetener in its place, either.  Milk is allowed.  Keeping the coffee, though.  Also gave up/added a couple other things that I'm keeping to myself.

The religious ed director at my (Roman Catholic) church sent out a message entitled "Blessed Ash Wednesday!" so I guess that would have worked instead of "Happy Ash Wednesday."  But I kind of had "happy Ash Wednesday" in my own head.

My kids decided that it's too hard to give something up, so they're not doing it.  DH gave up Catholicism and all religion a long time ago, so he's not on board.  I'm happy to observe Lent, though.  And I fully plan on enjoying a sugary coffee come Easter!

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2017, 07:32:22 PM »
Inspired by everyone else's sacrifices. Mine is a basic one, sweets, but it is all I can handle this year.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2017, 10:40:44 PM »
Aw, jooniperberries! 

At the risk of sounding very un-like a minister in a mainstream church, the fact is that Lent is our time of temptation, and just as Satan tempted Jesus in the wilderness, he's going to try to tempt us off our path too.  The devil is always at work, but he mostly doesn't bother you if you're not doing something right, you know?  So it makes sense that you'd have things come up, to try to trip you up right now!

Ok, so I serve in a mostly Caribbean church, and the last few years I've learned a lot of songs I wouldn't know otherwise.  My church is not quite like the one in this youtube video, but on our once a month "Praise and Worship" services, we do get a bit louder and there can certainly be some dancing and hands in the air.  (Other Sundays, we're fairly traditional and sedate Anglicans!)  While realizing that this kind of worship may be quite horrifying to someone who likes things quieter and more reserved, can I encourage you to listen to the verse that starts shortly after the 1:00 mark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41a138Gw7CM

The lyrics are simple:

Higher higher, higher higher higher
Higher, higher, higher, lift Jesus higher
Higher higher, higher higher higher
Higher, higher, higher, lift Jesus higher

Lower, lower, lower, lower, lower
Lower, lower, lower, stomp Satan lower
Lower, lower, lower, lower, lower
Lower, lower, lower, stomp Satan lower

Super, super, super, super, super
Super, super, super, supernatural power
Super, super, super, super, super
Super, super, super, supernatural power

When our Praise team sings the bolded verse, they give a little stomp of the foot on the word "stomp."  And when I'm talking to someone who's having a tough time with something, sometimes they or I will give a little foot stomp to show what we're thinking - that the evil one is at work and needs stomping out.

Maybe, as you go through Lent, when you find yourself in a situation that's triggering your overfunctioning, you can give Satan a little stomp.  In a light-hearted way, it might give you someone to push back against, to harden your resolve to find a better way forward for both you and your kid!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2017, 12:48:09 AM »

Oh Sam, this could be a blessing in disguise. Frozen Thin Mints are the Bomb! Just stash those suckers in the freezer behind the succotach so you can't see them and wait until Lent has passed. You should be warned that this will ruin you for unfrozen Thin Mints for life. It's okay.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2017, 08:45:15 AM »
Thanks for the supportive intention, PJ.

I'm extremely allergic to religion, and to words like "evil" and "Satan." My profoundly religious early life got me to a saturation point, and all words like that do for me now is turn my stomach.

I'm also not having an experience of temptation or evil or badness to deal with. There is nothing to stomp, or that needs or deserves to be stomped.

My experience here is more of movement, of shift, of personal transformation. Profound internal awareness and change -feeling like one is being turned inside out- is tough. But definitely not something I'd want to stomp.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2017, 01:58:49 PM »
Hey jooniperberries, sorry, forgot to either check back through the thread to see where you stand on the religious vs. secular Lent thing, or to add a disclaimer about such.  My bad!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: March 04, 2017, 07:58:50 PM »
No worries, PJ! Mine is neither religious nor secular. Mine's only a personal spirit journey.

While Lent is always deeply meaningful for me, I've never experienced such a dramatic, quick-onset of the big stuff before this round.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: March 04, 2017, 08:53:46 PM »
No worries, PJ! Mine is neither religious nor secular. Mine's only a personal spirit journey.

While Lent is always deeply meaningful for me, I've never experienced such a dramatic, quick-onset of the big stuff before this round.

Glad to see your response.  Though it may not have showed in my response earlier today, I was pretty upset thinking that I might have offended you.  Last thing I would want to do! 

Feeling guilty (and obsessing over it a little!) got me off the computer though, and I did some deep cleaning in a couple of rooms - my bedroom floor got thoroughly cleaned and a small area rug finally put back in place after having been washed.  Did a couple of loads of laundry along the way.  Then, the "dining room" - an extra bedroom that I have set up as a dining room, though I rarely have people over and never sit at the table when I'm alone.  Mostly it's used as a room for one of the cats to eat in, since they have to be separated for meals.  All the chairs out, floors vacuumed and mopped, and everything put back together.  Real spring cleaning stuff!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #139 on: March 04, 2017, 09:10:07 PM »
Aw, yeah, I can feel the same way...hoping I haven't inadvertently hurt someone and a bit anxious to hear back. I was off-line for a bunch of hours -looking at a house to buy, traveling to another town, kid care, etc. Glad your afternoon was similarly productive and rejuvenating! (Your dining room idea is lovely! Something that got on my "next dream home" list today was "enough room for lots of people at a weekly potluck.")

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #140 on: March 04, 2017, 09:10:19 PM »

Always nice to see you about, jooniperberriers. It's been really fun reading about your excitement. Especially considering how grumpy my own food transition is making me.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: March 04, 2017, 10:30:48 PM »
Aw, yeah, I can feel the same way...hoping I haven't inadvertently hurt someone and a bit anxious to hear back. I was off-line for a bunch of hours -looking at a house to buy, traveling to another town, kid care, etc. Glad your afternoon was similarly productive and rejuvenating! (Your dining room idea is lovely! Something that got on my "next dream home" list today was "enough room for lots of people at a weekly potluck.") 

I was one of the first in my group of friends to have a place of my own, so in the early adult years, a lot of the entertaining happened at my place.  But, many years later, my friends (most of whom married and had two incomes) have ended up with nicer homes than I, or bigger ones, and then in more recent years, I ended up adopting this absolutely crazy dog who doesn't like strangers.  It's not impossible for me to have a couple of people over (either carefully introducing them to the dog, or locking her away) but the larger group thing just isn't going to work.  Which is too bad.  I miss entertaining!  But I haven't even been trying to do the small scale stuff that I can do.  Well, have more spring cleaning to do in other rooms, and some decluttering as well, but that would be a worthy goal for me too!

I'm excited for you - was the house you looked at nice?

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2017, 11:36:10 PM »
Funny, I came back on to add to my housing-specific thread that we might like to put a dog in it! So, I will keep in mind your account and try to get a potluck-friendly dog :)

House surprised us by giving us joy and excitement. We won't take that particular one, but it was definitely a pleasant surprise, and inspiring.

I'm not sure how to segue this back to Lent... Um... Well, yes, for sure the possibility of moving into town is about releasing overfunctioning. It is required to access some support for caring for my kid, for example. There are many other intended benefits, but resolving some of the overfunctioning is definitely one.

Every day I send a long email to my accountability-buddy. In those, my journey and progress are clear, cannot be missed or mistaken. The first four days were a really tough go, but I'm hopeful the key pieces are now in place, to let me continue forward with fewer 2x4s to the side of the head (figuratively speaking).

May Something Good be strengthening each of you in your own journey.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: March 06, 2017, 07:28:44 AM »
Had a party at our house this weekend -- since I gave up alcohol for Lent, I was the only one drinking water. That's okay, though. Now that we're all older, parties are a bit more "have a couple of beers while we're hanging out" and a lot less "everyone is drinking until they black out". No temptation to report.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #144 on: March 06, 2017, 09:26:17 AM »
Very cool, infogoon!

I too remain very on-track, my sense of god continues to turn me inside out and heal me, and I continue to experience the emotional waves, etc, that come with that.

I keep thinking about the fact that the MMM 'program' is, to my mind, so much about overfunctioning. So, I basically spent 45 years overfunctioning mostly unconsciously and accidentally, with 19 of those years *also* overfunctioning in other areas consciously and on purpose (to get on track financially, to expand my capacity, etc). YIKES.

Maybe for Mr MM, DIY/building with own hands/ETFs/etc is about ease and joy, natural, effortless -I don't know, I'm not him. But for me, the MMM way of life is hard work, demanding, unnatural. I started making myself do it for good reasons, and I'm very glad I did.

But, when I give up overfunctioning for Lent, I sure see how much of it I had been doing, and how exhausting it is. The conscious (MMM) overfunctioning has nothing on the unconscious, though. Unraveling that, uncementing that, unpatterning that...oy!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: March 06, 2017, 09:42:51 AM »
I am very happy to report that my giving up starting new projects has rescued me from a tremendous number of obligations, including an offer to set up somebody's website for free (which would have sucked up 40 hours at least).  I actually had to erase the offer twice from my email, before I could steel myself to not make it. It was totally unnecessary. I have to remind myself that just because I can do something well, doesn't mean I have to do it.

I have had a couple of goofs. Somebody asked me to bake bread for Easter, which is not hard for me. But, on my own I offered to bake hot cross buns for 50, which is stupid!  I should probably take that back.

But in general, I have been putting the kabosh on new initiatives.  As a reward, I have been finishing projects, some of them many years old, at a tremendous rate!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #146 on: March 06, 2017, 09:48:58 AM »
WOW, Poundwise!!!! Terrific!!

I was very excited about your intention when you first set/announced it. Most of February I was "not allowed" to volunteer for any additional stuff, and that was so helpful. (And I haven't resumed volunteering for new stuff since, either.)

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: March 06, 2017, 10:12:08 AM »
I am happy to report that the number of times I reflexively tap the Instagram icon on my phone is starting to drop off. I will need to be mindful to avoid replacing that reflex with opening Pinterest or another app, especially if they also encourage the instant gratification impulse and feed the urge to compare, boast, or feel dissatisfaction.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: March 06, 2017, 11:07:38 AM »
But in general, I have been putting the kabosh on new initiatives.  As a reward, I have been finishing projects, some of them many years old, at a tremendous rate! 

Tell us more!  (if you want)  Personally, I've been fairly un-productive lately, and would love to live vicariously through you.  Maybe get a little inspired, even!

I am happy to report that the number of times I reflexively tap the Instagram icon on my phone is starting to drop off. I will need to be mindful to avoid replacing that reflex with opening Pinterest or another app, especially if they also encourage the instant gratification impulse and feed the urge to compare, boast, or feel dissatisfaction. 

Ah, I relate to the comment about replacing one thing with another.  I've hardly watched any TV at all, since coming back to the forums in the new year.  This is not a bad thing.  But it's been replaced with mindlessly surfing the forums, especially late at night.  Working on that late night stuff though!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: March 06, 2017, 11:36:41 AM »
I am very happy to report that my giving up starting new projects has rescued me from a tremendous number of obligations, including an offer to set up somebody's website for free (which would have sucked up 40 hours at least).  I actually had to erase the offer twice from my email, before I could steel myself to not make it. It was totally unnecessary. I have to remind myself that just because I can do something well, doesn't mean I have to do it.

I have had a couple of goofs. Somebody asked me to bake bread for Easter, which is not hard for me. But, on my own I offered to bake hot cross buns for 50, which is stupid!  I should probably take that back.

Wow this is a great idea! It seems every other week I'm starting something new. I'd like to give it a whirl and wrap up some outstanding projects this year. Thanks for the inspiration. :)