Author Topic: Lent 2017!  (Read 34582 times)

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
Re: Lent 2017!
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2017, 06:35:05 PM »
I'm confused. It's not Lent yet. Are you practicing?

S/he's preemptively making up for a day that's not an option during :)

Yep. I'm pre-sacrificing!

Ohhhh. Yeah. That totally went over my head.

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2017, 09:02:11 PM »
And, what's with St Patrick's day being right in the middle of Lent, every goddamn year? It seems like a strange contradiction. Leave it to the Irish to build contradiction into the very base of the system.
I think St Patty's day has always been a bigger deal in America than in Ireland. I think the first St Patrick's day parade in Boston was in the 1700's, but the first one in Dublin was in the 1990's. Supposedly March 17 in Ireland was just another Holy Day Of Obligation, you stayed home from work and went to mass and the stores and banks were closed. Kind of like Cinco de Mayo, in America it has become a drinking holiday for the expatriated. The Catholic Church did move Thomas Aquinas's feast day out of lent after Vatican II, from March 7 to January 28, because it cares about St Thomas, but St Patrick, not so much.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2017, 05:36:25 AM »
And, what's with St Patrick's day being right in the middle of Lent, every goddamn year? It seems like a strange contradiction. Leave it to the Irish to build contradiction into the very base of the system.
I think St Patty's day has always been a bigger deal in America than in Ireland. I think the first St Patrick's day parade in Boston was in the 1700's, but the first one in Dublin was in the 1990's. Supposedly March 17 in Ireland was just another Holy Day Of Obligation, you stayed home from work and went to mass and the stores and banks were closed. Kind of like Cinco de Mayo, in America it has become a drinking holiday for the expatriated. The Catholic Church did move Thomas Aquinas's feast day out of lent after Vatican II, from March 7 to January 28, because it cares about St Thomas, but St Patrick, not so much.

Please, it's St. Paddy's Day, if you want to shorten it. Patty was his sister, but she was no saint.

It's always been a big deal in Ireland. As a kid, we went to the parade every year (after church, of course), and that was back in the late '60s/early '70s. We moved to Dublin in 1973, and there was always a parade for St. Patrick's Day.

As for drinking, the pubs were always full. It was a Holy Day, but it was also a party day.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2017, 01:24:28 AM »
I'm confused. It's not Lent yet. Are you practicing?

S/he's preemptively making up for a day that's not an option during :)

Yep. I'm pre-sacrificing!
Frontloading Lent. Hmm, leave it to a mustachian to come up with that one, lol!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2017, 09:26:03 AM »
I'm toying with the idea of giving up credit-card purchases. Only using the debit card. The potential up front cost is a combination of lost points (~3%) plus finance charges to put the cash in my account in advance (~3%). But if I shave my spending because it's a debit card by 20%, then I've basically tripled that investment.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2017, 09:28:12 AM »
The other idea is giving up checking my investments. Just let them roll on auto-pilot for six weeks. Like you're supposed to do anyway. But I don't.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2017, 09:35:46 AM »
I'm thinking about giving up starting things.  No new projects. No new challenges.  Just finishing. Because I start a million things, don't finish them, and all the incomplete tasks create a psychic weight.

Though, isn't this a new challenge? Well, it will be my last new challenge until Easter.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2017, 10:53:13 AM »
The other idea is giving up checking my investments. Just let them roll on auto-pilot for six weeks. Like you're supposed to do anyway. But I don't.
Ohh... that's a good one. I like it.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2017, 11:06:09 AM »
I'm thinking about giving up starting things.  No new projects. No new challenges.  Just finishing. Because I start a million things, don't finish them, and all the incomplete tasks create a psychic weight.

Though, isn't this a new challenge? Well, it will be my last new challenge until Easter.

I love this idea!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2017, 11:22:56 AM »
Thanks!  I don't want to squash my creative impulses, though, so I will just write down ideas instead of jumping into action.  Hopefully this will cut down on expenses, too. 

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2017, 11:28:45 AM »
No, but I think the satisfaction of clearing up even some of my UFO's (unfinished objects) would be a great boost, and would make room for some new stuff to come in behind as well.

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2017, 12:19:05 PM »
I use Lent to try out new eating and lifestyle  habits. It's a pretty secular activity for me, but I do appreciate the mindfulness boost I get in the process.

Last year I gave up alcohol (moderate drinker of the wine-with-dinner variety) and was so glad I did - made me feel majorly better. It completely reset that habit for me (now I have wine or a drink with dinner on weekends).

This year I'm going to do the Whole 30 for Lent. That is going to be Not Easy as it will require abstaining from all grains as well as legumes. So I'm headed over to the Whole 30 board right now to start my advance prep!

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2017, 01:07:35 PM »

I love this idea!

+2
Was trying to come up with a mental thing that I wouldn't bomb. This might be it. need to come up with some caveats for not doing too much homebrewing or gardening.

Consumables/fleshly desires; Hard liquor is possible but maybe too easy with only one or two social situations that make it difficult. For those wondering, beer is out of the question.

Cheese is high on the list right now. Not good for my diet and should provide a daily temptation though I am equipped to abstain.

MichaelB

• Stubble
  • FIRE goal: April 2032
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2017, 02:16:13 PM »
I'm not sure what I'll give up yet. I have a couple of ideas. One is to give up unnecessary internet--meaning, no Internet that isn't related to work or taking care of personal stuff (so bank accounts, Mint, investments, etc.). No twitter, no blogs, no forums, no brainless surfing. I usually wish that I would do this all the time. I think I'll start right now--at least, right after I check one more blog... (to paraphrase St. Augustine: Lord, give me focus and discipline when I'm online...but not yet.)

Another idea I was playing with was not looking up google maps on my phone when I go to work. I tend to get super pissed at traffic, so forcing myself to just go to work and accept whatever the roads are doing will be a great opportunity to work on patience.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2017, 02:42:14 PM »
Last year I gave up alcohol and that was actually quite hard since my husband is a brewer and wine maker.  My friends thought I was nuts, but I made it through.  I am thinking of giving up cheese again this year (did it in years prior and that was super hard, especially at church functions!).  I hadn't thought about giving up meat, but that's a good one too.  Maybe I will do meat and cheese.  That will help my diet, which has gotten too heavy on both meat and cheese lately. 

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2017, 07:17:32 PM »
Okay, I got mine!

I'm going to heal my overfunctioning in relation to my kid's disability.

This commitment will involve:
  • EMDR to resolve my trauma/trigger reaction to specific cues
  • spending cash [hard for me psychologically] on outsourcing some of the "417 weekly jobs"
  • saying yes to any offer that matches our need
  • silently implementing a pre-stated consequence [removal of electronics] vs providing verbal prompts for  basic daily tasks
  • reducing his appointment trips from two to one per day
Basically, a personality makeover ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 07:34:29 PM by jooniperberries »

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2017, 07:21:59 PM »

I like this one!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2017, 12:03:37 PM »
...heal my overfunctioning in relation to my kid's disability.

Preparations completed:

1. Discussed this goal with kid, how this will look/impact him.

2. Booked first EMDR appt...for first day of Lent!

3. Completed application for insurance coverage of EMDR.

4. Entered into Google calendar long coloured bar reminder of no second-drive appts through Lent.

5. Located and printed application form to outsource one job.

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2017, 06:25:54 PM »
I've given this some thought and finally decided to give up potato chips.  That sounds stupid when I write it but my chip habit drives me crazy.  I eat chips many nights for no reason at all.  I want to break that habit and get back in control. I also want to lose 8 pounds.  I assume this will help.  Other than chips I eat a pretty healthy diet. 

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2017, 07:03:19 PM »
I've given this some thought and finally decided to give up potato chips.  That sounds stupid when I write it...

Nope, sounds good :)

Only each of us knows our major vice, challenge, barrier, etc. Good for you for doing what is true to your journey!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2017, 08:11:49 PM »
I've given this some thought and finally decided to give up potato chips.  That sounds stupid when I write it...

Nope, sounds good :)

Only each of us knows our major vice, challenge, barrier, etc. Good for you for doing what is true to your journey!

+1

It doesn't sound stupid at all.  It sounds brave.

(One of these years, I really am going to give up coffee/tea for Lent.  But not this time...)

Folks, we're getting so close!  I really need to decide what I'm doing:

1.  I'm going to give up complaining about being busy.  I actually love what I do but I worry that I give off the impression that I don't (and I know I could even be more efficient at it, therefore actually being less busy!)

2.  I'm going to change my attitude toward other drivers on the road.  This is a place where I let myself vent my frustration (since I'm all alone in the car, usually!) and even though nobody can hear me, it makes driving less pleasant.  And I think that in a way, expressing frustration kind of leads to more frustration.  It's hard to articulate, but it has something to do with giving way to a negative mindset actually leading me to notice the negative more.  I want to cultivate a more relaxed, go with the flow attitude, and have driving be a time of respite in between tasks and appointments.

3.  I need to sleep more.  This is a huge struggle for me, as I'm a major night owl, and addictive personality so once I get online, or turn on the TV, or start reading at night, it's hard for me to shut down and go to bed.  So I often get way less sleep than I should, and both my health and productivity are suffering.  I had been doing better for a while, but have slipped back.  I'm not sure exactly what my goals and deadlines are going to be, but I think that will crystallize over the course of the Lenten period.

I know that people are participating in this thread and Lent overall for a mixture of reasons - some as a form of spiritual discipline, some as a nostalgic practice from younger years that they still find beneficial, and some just as a way to kick-start a new habit.  So I hope no one will take it as pressure if I offer up some prayer resources for those who might be interested?  I haven't fully reviewed these sites, but they're from a variety of traditions, so hopefully if anyone is interested in some Lenten specific prayers, they'll find one that works for them:

http://www.faithandworship.com/prayers_Lent.htm

http://www.methodist.org.uk/prayer-and-worship/lent-and-easter/prayers-for-lent-and-easter

http://onlineministries.creighton.edu/CollaborativeMinistry/Lent/Daily-prayers-00.html

http://worship.calvin.edu/resources/resource-library/prayers-for-lent

(I especially like the first one, which is just a collection of prayers, mostly written by the site's author, who has a mixed religious background himself.  They're very poetic and quite "real."  And able to be used flexibly.  You can pick and choose from among the prayers, read a different one each day, or pick a couple to rotate between, or ... whatever you want!)

Verdure

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2017, 08:57:09 PM »
Well, folks, for me Lent has begun!  And I've already set myself up to fail, because I forgot I said the bolded part:
I will be avoiding desserts and added sugars, except on Sundays.

I have stocked the freezer with a bunch of (vegan) stuff for Lent, including 100% whole wheat homemade rolls/buns and baked tofu, both of which have maple syrup in them. Soon, I guess I'll amend my plan to be no desserts and no added refined sugar.  I suppose this is one reason the church just gives us a general rule. If we decide ourselves what to give up, it's very easy to forget it and/or amend it!  At any rate, I'm well prepared for our usual vegan diet.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2017, 09:24:35 PM »
Well, folks, for me Lent has begun!  And I've already set myself up to fail, because I forgot I said the bolded part:
I will be avoiding desserts and added sugars, except on Sundays.

I have stocked the freezer with a bunch of (vegan) stuff for Lent, including 100% whole wheat homemade rolls/buns and baked tofu, both of which have maple syrup in them. Soon, I guess I'll amend my plan to be no desserts and no added refined sugar.  I suppose this is one reason the church just gives us a general rule. If we decide ourselves what to give up, it's very easy to forget it and/or amend it!  At any rate, I'm well prepared for our usual vegan diet.

I probably wouldn't consider the little bit of maple syrup in those to be in violation of a no sugar rule - virtually impossible to have bread/rolls without some sugar, because the yeast needs it (yes, I know you can also make some types of bread product without yeast).  A no sugar rule seems like it's aimed to target excessive sweetening, not to make you do contortions in terms of your bread choices, or to eliminate you adding some flavour to a (already healthy) dish like baked tofu.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2017, 09:36:29 PM »
Further Preparations

Set up an accountability buddy. I email her toward the end of each day to report on the Thing. She can read it, and I would certainly welcome any words from her in response, but she doesn't need to read/respond. This piece is simply to support me staying on track. I'm grateful that my friend agreed to receive my "lent tracking".

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2017, 10:50:22 PM »
Further Preparations

Set up an accountability buddy. I email her toward the end of each day to report on the Thing. She can read it, and I would certainly welcome any words from her in response, but she doesn't need to read/respond. This piece is simply to support me staying on track. I'm grateful that my friend agreed to receive my "lent tracking". 

This reminds of something I read once, from a writer, writing about the process of writing.  (Make sense?)  I think it was Natalie Goldberg, but it could have been Julia Cameron or someone else.  Whoever it was, they said that one of the techniques they use to get some writing done is to call up a writer friend, and invite them to meet for a writing session at a coffee shop "on Tuesday at 2 p.m." or whatever.  They say to the friend, "Don't bother to tell me whether you can come, I'll be there from 2 p.m. until 5 p.m." (or whatever)  This way, in case the friend shows up, they need to show up.  And they need to stay all the way until the end time indicated.  And since they're there anyway, they might as well write.  Bingo!  A great writing session ensues, all because of a little accountability.  If the friend also shows up, there may be a little visiting.  But since it was a writing date from the start, chances are they'll both end up having a great writing session!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2017, 11:04:11 PM »
^ Love it, PJ!!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2017, 07:33:46 AM »
I used a credit card at the grocery store last night. Conveniently, I will get paid tomorrow, so I can restock the checking account in time for an all-debit card lent (which includes three more paydays for me).

ketojenn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2017, 07:42:49 AM »
Sugar.  Must break my addiction to sugar.  I've been trying to reduce my sugar intake for months now and keep failing.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2017, 08:56:14 AM »
Further Preparations

The book to support me in my shift will (so far) be Conquering Fear by Harold Kushner. Although I am one of the most brave and adventurous people I've ever known, what is overfunctioning a result of but fear? So, maybe this book helps this journey?

Might also see if there's a CODA meeting around for the Lenten weeks.

Kaybee

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2017, 09:41:58 AM »
I've finally decided what to give up for Lent --> Data usage on my phone! 

I really hate that I've become one of those people who mindlessly scrolls through Facebook, Instagram, News Outlets, etc while walking through airports (ha, which I do a lot as a Flight Attendant) and waiting around (for buses, other people, whatever).  It drives up my data usage AND it serves absolutely no purpose so I'm going to actually try and stop being so dependant on my smartphone and start using it as a communication device again (phone calls/texts) instead of an all-purpose entertainment centre.  My exceptions to this will be to access an app that I use for work (gives me passenger load information, updates on flying times, crew info, etc), Uber and a car-sharing app I use but otherwise, I'm turning cell data access off for all my other apps and hoping I get through the twitchy withdrawal phase quickly.

I'll still be able to access all those distractions through wifi but that usually only occurs once I get home (or to whichever hotel that's "home" that night) and once I'm online in a more dedicated manner, I usually watch my web time more carefully.

I'm actually not looking forward to this because I know my mindless smartphone use has gotten out of hand. :(

Verdure

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2017, 10:46:35 AM »
I probably wouldn't consider the little bit of maple syrup in those to be in violation of a no sugar rule - virtually impossible to have bread/rolls without some sugar, because the yeast needs it (yes, I know you can also make some types of bread product without yeast).  A no sugar rule seems like it's aimed to target excessive sweetening, not to make you do contortions in terms of your bread choices, or to eliminate you adding some flavour to a (already healthy) dish like baked tofu.

Actually, it's pretty easy to make yeasted breads with no sugar. The flour provides plenty of food to the yeast, it's just a bit slower.  I could have made no-knead bread and a sugar-free marinade if I had been thinking about it.  I just automatically went to some of our usual Lenten staples when I was stocking the freezer,  but I'm not going to beat myself up over it. And I'm certainly not going to let the food I made go to waste just because of a bit of maple syrup!  When I originally thought of the rule, I definitely had in mind to try to avoid this kind of unnecessary sugar added to all sorts of common foods. It's hard to avoid with purchased foods, and I wasn't going to worry about it with food prepared by others.  But it would have been easy to avoid in my own homemade items if I hadn't completely forgotten my plan!  (I was thinking I just said desserts.)

smilla

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2017, 11:22:14 AM »
So for Lent, the only activities I may combine with eating & drinking are socializing, thinking (but not daydreaming), meditation, and/or prayer. That should slow time down :)

I am going to add keeping a more intentional Sabbath to my Lent - no screens, no work/housekeeping, no financial matters, and no "catching up" or planning, but I can cook and pick up the day's mess.

2.  ...  And I think that in a way, expressing frustration kind of leads to more frustration.  It's hard to articulate, but it has something to do with giving way to a negative mindset actually leading me to notice the negative more.  ...

This is definitely how it works for me.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2017, 12:02:46 PM »
For those of you Firefox users who are trying to cut down on screen time, I wholly recommend the Leechblock add-on. Otherwise, you could try programming your router to cut off internet at 9pm or whenever.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2017, 12:11:53 PM »
PJ, I was thinking: Is it possible your three ideas are one at their source? 

i.e.
complaining about being busy
attitude toward other drivers on the road
need to sleep more

Like, if you get more deep rest (shutting off long before bed), will you sleep more, feel less "busy" (wired, overstimulated, struggly), and have much more ease with other drivers?

I think my One Thing is going to resolve very, very much in my life.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2017, 12:34:13 PM »

I've finally decided what to give up for Lent --> Data usage on my phone! 

I really hate that I've become one of those people who mindlessly scrolls through Facebook, Instagram, News Outlets, etc while walking through airports (ha, which I do a lot as a Flight Attendant) and waiting around (for buses, other people, whatever).  It drives up my data usage AND it serves absolutely no purpose so I'm going to actually try and stop being so dependant on my smartphone and start using it as a communication device again (phone calls/texts) instead of an all-purpose entertainment centre.  My exceptions to this will be to access an app that I use for work (gives me passenger load information, updates on flying times, crew info, etc), Uber and a car-sharing app I use but otherwise, I'm turning cell data access off for all my other apps and hoping I get through the twitchy withdrawal phase quickly.

I'll still be able to access all those distractions through wifi but that usually only occurs once I get home (or to whichever hotel that's "home" that night) and once I'm online in a more dedicated manner, I usually watch my web time more carefully.

I'm actually not looking forward to this because I know my mindless smartphone use has gotten out of hand. :( 

Hey Kaybee, I dialed down my data plan a while back, as an experiment.  Home has wifi.  Work has wifi.  I figured that covered 90% of my data usage.  I kept a smaller plan because I do need some data for things like gps when I'm driving.  I've been surprised at how easy it was.  If I'm in a coffee shop, or waiting to pick up a pizza, or need to get a coupon at Michael's - most of the places where I want to get online, have wifi too!  Full disclosure - I don't play games on my phone, but internet reading has been a stand-by "killing time" activity for me at times.  And since I still have a small data plan, on the odd occasion I can't access wifi, I don't feel too bad about using a little data to still do that on occasion.

PJ, I was thinking: Is it possible your three ideas are one at their source? 

i.e.
complaining about being busy
attitude toward other drivers on the road
need to sleep more

Like, if you get more deep rest (shutting off long before bed), will you sleep more, feel less "busy" (wired, overstimulated, struggly), and have much more ease with other drivers?

I think my One Thing is going to resolve very, very much in my life.

Oh, jooniperberries, you are very wise.  ;-)

Absolutely.  Getting more sleep will greatly help to achieve the other goals.

But I'm not sure I've entirely figured out what is the keystone habit that will enable me to do better with my sleep routine.  Keystone habit reading: 

http://jamesclear.com/keystone-habits 
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/charles-duhigg/the-power-of-habit_b_1304550.html

Still, I'm hoping that these goals for Lent may give me some ideas of other things to work on, or about how these different issues stack up with each other.

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2017, 12:52:23 PM »
PJ - You've inspired me to add something else that I want to give up for Lent - complaining.  Although I think I complain a lot less than most of my coworkers, I still complain.  I don't like listening to them complain so I know they don't want to hear it from me either.  My 21 yr old daughter has been writing what she's grateful for every day since the beginning of the year (an interesting FB goal she set for herself) and it has inspired me.  I am grateful for all I have.  My life hasn't been perfect but that's OK.  I want to be a better person and lose the negativity. 

So, if we're keeping score - I'm giving up potato chips and complaining.  Well isn't that an interesting combo!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2017, 01:34:46 PM »
Hey, frugalkristen, we're on a roll of answering each other's posts.  Guess neither of us is getting too much work done today, eh?

Gratitude is an awesome antidote to complaining, and replacing complaint with an expression of gratitude is one of the strategies I'm planning to use.

There's a really inspirational guy at my church, who every (I mean EVERY) time you ask him how he is, he answers, "I'm grateful."  And I do believe he means it, too! ;-)

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2017, 07:33:42 AM »
Well, wife picked alcohol again so I will be joining her with that. Major plus that cutting out alcohol usually cuts out bad-decision food as well. I'll have me a nice glass of either old grapes or old apples tonight (aka wine or cider), then put everything away for the next 46 days. Atheist Lent go!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2017, 08:10:33 AM »
Fucking Mardi Gras today, inn't little darlings!? I believe I will start with donuts, move onto mac & cheese, and perhaps sushi for din-din. The dinner plan is still evolving. 

MichaelB

• Stubble
  • FIRE goal: April 2032
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2017, 09:00:23 AM »
Fucking Mardi Gras today, inn't little darlings!? I believe I will start with donuts, move onto mac & cheese, and perhaps sushi for din-din. The dinner plan is still evolving.

I feel like for Mardi Gras, you gotta load up on the meat, you know? Even you don't have to abstain from meat thru all of Lent anymore, somehow it feels...I'm not sure what word I'm looking for here. Having fish (the thing you eat in place of "real meat") on Mardi Gras, the last day to indulge before the fast, feels incongruent. But hey man, I ain't your daddy. If stuffing your face with sushi feels more feast-like to you than steak, have at it!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2017, 09:30:22 AM »
This thread leads me to the conclusion that I should probably give up tea and this forum for Lent and start getting my to-do list completed.  I have been spending way too much time just aimlessly browsing the forum that I should be using getting things done.

So, after today, I will see everybody around Easter!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2017, 09:38:29 AM »

My Babcia made the best packzi. Mom does a good job, but there's something missing. Oh well, I'm in a land that is short on Polish grandmothers so I'll have to suffer with Girl Scout cookies instead.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2017, 10:10:10 AM »
This thread leads me to the conclusion that I should probably give up tea and this forum for Lent and start getting my to-do list completed.  I have been spending way too much time just aimlessly browsing the forum that I should be using getting things done.

Wowza!  Now that's a Lenten goal!

Blessings (or best wishes, if you prefer - I really don't remember who is religious and who isn't!) and we'll see you in a little while...

Verdure

• Stubble
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2017, 11:41:39 AM »
Getting more sleep will greatly help to achieve the other goals.

But I'm not sure I've entirely figured out what is the keystone habit that will enable me to do better with my sleep routine.  Keystone habit reading: 

I have a suggestion for a keystone habit. You linked to several prayer resources, so I would suggest observing a daily prayer rule. Personally, I read the psalter, but any prayer rule that works for you would do the trick. It could be very simple as long as you commit to doing it daily. I would choose a time shortly before you would like to go to bed, and commit to praying daily at that time. You may find it easier to keep a commitment to prayer than a commitment to sleep. Then after you have prayed, go to bed. :-) An easier transition than moving from reading/TV/internet to sleep.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2017, 11:46:23 AM »
Getting more sleep will greatly help to achieve the other goals.

I have a suggestion for a keystone habit. You linked to several prayer resources, so I would suggest observing a daily prayer rule. Personally, I read the psalter, but any prayer rule that works for you would do the trick. It could be very simple as long as you commit to doing it daily. I would choose a time shortly before you would like to go to bed, and commit to praying daily at that time. You may find it easier to keep a commitment to prayer than a commitment to sleep. Then after you have prayed, go to bed. :-) An easier transition than moving from reading/TV/internet to sleep. 

Thanks for your thoughts ... the super helpful part is the idea of doing evening prayers at a certain time.  I am going to go and set a reminder alarm on my phone right now!

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2017, 01:10:30 PM »
My husband is giving up sweets for Lent, so for all intents and purposes I will be as well. Despite not being a "sweets person" I seem to eat a few too many of them.

I had planned to give up coffee and alcohol, but am wavering on coffee. I don't drink anywhere near as much of the stuff as I used to, and very much cherish just sitting and being quiet while I drink a cup of coffee in the morning.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2017, 01:15:01 PM »

My Babcia made the best packzi. Mom does a good job, but there's something missing. Oh well, I'm in a land that is short on Polish grandmothers so I'll have to suffer with Girl Scout cookies instead.

I stopped at the Polish market for paczki this morning.

Now I'm going to the gym, as is necessary after eating them.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2017, 02:52:15 PM »

Wowza!  Now that's a Lenten goal!

Blessings (or best wishes, if you prefer - I really don't remember who is religious and who isn't!) and we'll see you in a little while...

Blessings and wishes are both fine.  :)  It's not as ambitious as it would be if I needed caffeine; I just like the taste of tea.  And here I am, using Fat Tuesday to the utmost, haha.

Guava

• Stubble
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2017, 07:59:27 PM »
Last year I was too sick to give up anything. It was the first time in nearly 15 years I didn't participate. This year I should try to give up telling my husband he is doing things wrong. If he wants to fold the laundry I should let him ball up the underwear and put it in the wrong drawer because I need all the help I can get with full time work and rest of the time school.

I am sticking with the above but with a little modification. I just won't complian to my husband about anything he does. It will be a part of making our relationship healthier and help me be less of a control freak. In that same spirit, I will be cutting off screen time after 7pm every night. This should help us spend quality time together on the few nights we are together.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2017, 11:17:48 PM »
Guava, yours has an overlap with mine (to not overfunction).

In awareness of this Lenten journey, when my kid brought me (fully cooked but) underheated chicken the other day, I simply ate it gratefully. All sources tell me that one key to letting go of overfunctioning is to let other people do things exactly they way they do them: no re-doing, no coaching, no directives. Another day I'll talk with my kid about heating to a safe and happy temperature, but in the moments, I will just gratefully receive anyone else doing a part.     

Know you are not alone in this piece :)

Happy Fat Tuesday, everyone!