Author Topic: Keto & Low-Carb Challenge  (Read 95217 times)

L2

• Stubble
Re: Keto & Low-Carb Challenge
« Reply #350 on: April 25, 2018, 05:57:24 PM »
Posting to follow this thread (not a fan of the notify emails). I've enjoyed reading this thread and learning more about the keto diet, on top of what I've already learned. My metabolism seems to be slowing down as I grow older and its time to start paying attention to my diet. Truth be told I really don't have much to lose, but I've seen (and read) some serious results from this diet and I selfishly want some abs at some point in my life. Plus it seems like a fun experience/experiment.

Probably won't get started until the beginning on June, but want to slowly accumulate ingredients/make a conscious effort to cut carbs and sugar in the meantime. Looking forward to continue learning and following everyone's progress in the meantime. Keep it up!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #351 on: April 25, 2018, 08:24:08 PM »
@Prairie Gal Paleo allows lots of carbs, as long as they’re “natural”, like fruit or honey. Pretty sure starchy veg is considered okay as well. I’ve been able to reintroduce some fruit without bad cravings after more than a year but I’m being very careful about it.

But in my experience the only way to break emotional eating of sugary carbs is to avoid all forms, including artificial sweeteners. You have to kill the sugar addiction.

I still definitely experience emotional and stress eating, but when you’re eating protein and fat it’s really hard to overeat.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #352 on: April 27, 2018, 06:18:00 PM »
Tried a few recipes this week.

Cookies: https://divaliciousrecipes.com/cream-cheese-cookies-low-carb/
Much better as cookie dough than a cookie. I'd maybe add almond extract, or walnuts, or super dark chocolate, because as a cookie it's meh.

"Crack Chicken": https://www.isavea2z.com/instant-pot-keto-crack-chicken-recipe/
This could also work in a slow cooker, but I got an instant pot as a housewarming gift from my mom when I moved into the apartment and this was my first recipe using it. I was kind of shocked that from start to finish dinner was done in 20. I put the bacon on to cook first, then did the rest of the steps, and mixed everything together at the end and it was perfect. I didn't use ranch dressing mix (because carbs) so I just used salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. And it is heavenly. Very high fat, very satisfying, maybe wouldn't recommend eating this in front of anyone whose opinion of you matters, though. :-)

I packed up the "crack chicken" into 5 servings and ate the 6th one for dinner. Also made an extra pound of snack-bacon for the fridge (usually eat it for breakfasts) while I was at it. Should be a pretty good week for keto.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #353 on: April 28, 2018, 06:18:10 AM »
3/31 - 210lbs.  150.5 inches (legs, hips, waist, and arms)
4/7   - 206         149.5
4/14 - 207         148.5
4/21 - 209.        147
4/28 - 208.        145

Down half an inch on each arm, hip, and waist. Before I started I drew a graph of me losing weight on a gliding scale of losing 20 pounds over a year. So about .4lbs per week. I'm right on track.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #354 on: April 28, 2018, 09:18:14 AM »
Have you guys seen "The Magic Pill" on Netflix? It's very good!. You can watch the trailer here. https://www.dietdoctor.com/watch-the-magic-pill-on-netflix

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #355 on: April 28, 2018, 11:30:35 AM »
Have you guys seen "The Magic Pill" on Netflix? It's very good!. You can watch the trailer here. https://www.dietdoctor.com/watch-the-magic-pill-on-netflix

I recently heard about it from my Facebook keto group but haven’t had the chance to watch it yet.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #356 on: April 28, 2018, 02:41:31 PM »
Just watched it. It's definitely slanted, I don't agree with all of it, but it was a very good watch! I'd recommend it to anyone who is unfamiliar with keto, or who is struggling to find motivation to stick it out.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #357 on: April 28, 2018, 04:46:46 PM »
Got a bit off the diet my last week of my 2 week trip, but still stayed away from sugar -- had a few sandwiches, etc. Ended up coming back 7 lbs heavier than when I left, but jeans feel like they are looser. I imagine most of that weight is water weight.

Back on the wagon now, this diet is so much easier being home and I feel so much better on it.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #358 on: May 01, 2018, 07:08:37 AM »
I am sick of every variation of egg, bacon and sausage (pork and turkey/chicken) known to womankind.  Does anyone have a low carb breakfast that doesn't contain these ingredients?  I used these ingredients because they leave me all my carbs for snacks and the main meals of the day, but I'm tired of it.  HELP!!!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #359 on: May 01, 2018, 08:23:30 AM »
I am sick of every variation of egg, bacon and sausage (pork and turkey/chicken) known to womankind.  Does anyone have a low carb breakfast that doesn't contain these ingredients?  I used these ingredients because they leave me all my carbs for snacks and the main meals of the day, but I'm tired of it.  HELP!!!
Just eat lunch and dinner foods for breakfast. You don’t have to eat bacon and eggs just because it’s morning, have chicken salad. Or pot roast. Or a charcuterie.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #360 on: May 01, 2018, 10:52:44 AM »
Yeah, I have thought of that but then my lunch and dinner choices become boring faster (I guess this is the problem to fix.  More dinner choices but I don't have time or energy to cook after work and a lot of choices are delicate i.e. seafood and need to bee eaten when prepared).  And I burn carbs for a meal that usually doesn't have any.  Ah well, as you say I could just have a hunk of meat and nothing else to keep the carbs down.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #361 on: May 01, 2018, 10:56:51 AM »
Man, I never get sick of eggs. Every day for breakfast and usually at least once for dinner.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #362 on: May 01, 2018, 12:16:00 PM »
I searched the thread and couldn't find any mention of Joe Rogan.  You prob know him from Fear Factor or stand-up, but he also hosts a podcast most days.  As an MMA commentator and Jiu-Jitsu guy he has a lot of athletes and cutting edge researchers that study athletic performance and diet as guests.  I've been watching them on youtube, but you can find them on his own website or other podcast aggregator sites.  The format is well suited to getting deep into the details.  Most are 2 to 3 hours long and it's just Joe and the guest talking about whatever the guest is an expert in plus whatever side topics come up.  I find them fascinating because in traditional media you get a handful of soundbites, sound effects and some really dramatic sounding commentary (i'm looking at you npr).

So how is this relevant to the Keto Thread on MMM?  There are several keto/diet expert guests on his show that range from athlete to R1 type researchers.  Rather than put up links, I'm going to name them and you can search them on the site you like.  As I mentioned, I watch on youtube on the channel PowerfulJRE, which is Rogan's official channel.  These have been life-changing to me and I hope you guys will find some info and motivation in the same way I have.

These will get you off to a good start, listed in order of relevance to keto diet.  It's ok to skip around as you see fit, but you have to watch Dom D'Agostino first.  He's a clinical researcher specializing in keto diet.

Dom D'Agostino
Nina Teicholz
Robb Wolf
Peter Attia
Gary Taubes
Rhonda Patrick
Shawn Baker
Ben Greenfield
Kelly Brogan
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 12:26:38 PM by MDfive21 »

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #363 on: May 01, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »
I was so tired of the weight I had packed on a few years ago (divorce, new job, random stress  <--- all excuses).  I never felt motivated to do anything about it until my weight hit 134 after the holidays.  I decided I was going to change that day and began a CICO diet.  I was always hungry and the weight was coming off very slowly.  Then I saw this thread.  It made me do some other research and I decided to give it a try.  The weight started falling off and I was always full.  I have no idea how many calories I'm eating anymore.  I feel better - both physically and mentally.  My goal was to get down to 118 - my high school weight (I'm 48 and never thought I'd see that number again).  I hit 119 a few weeks ago and decided I needed to start adding carbs back in.  Now I'm hovering between 120-123 and thrilled.  Is anyone here trying to maintain?  Are you finding it difficult to find the balance?  I don't want to lose any more weight but I like the way I feel on a low carb diet. 

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #364 on: May 02, 2018, 04:49:29 AM »
I was so tired of the weight I had packed on a few years ago (divorce, new job, random stress  <--- all excuses).  I never felt motivated to do anything about it until my weight hit 134 after the holidays.  I decided I was going to change that day and began a CICO diet.  I was always hungry and the weight was coming off very slowly.  Then I saw this thread.  It made me do some other research and I decided to give it a try.  The weight started falling off and I was always full.  I have no idea how many calories I'm eating anymore.  I feel better - both physically and mentally.  My goal was to get down to 118 - my high school weight (I'm 48 and never thought I'd see that number again).  I hit 119 a few weeks ago and decided I needed to start adding carbs back in.  Now I'm hovering between 120-123 and thrilled.  Is anyone here trying to maintain?  Are you finding it difficult to find the balance?  I don't want to lose any more weight but I like the way I feel on a low carb diet.

What kind of carbs are you adding back in? Low carb is best done as a permanent lifestyle change, most folks stay permanently grain and refined sugar free, but add back in some more fruit, nuts, and  veg like butternut squash, etc.

Generally your body will find the weight it’s healthiest at on low carb, that might be lighter than you think. I’ve seen a few people that were surprised just how low a weight their body wanted to settle out at.

I’m still losing weight but have added a bit more fruit, and Greek yoghurt, into my diet to solve some digestion and nutrition issues but my activity level is so high this time of year that I am probably still in ketosis. If need be I will cut them back out to lose the last (estimated, as I’ve never been this thin) 10-20 pounds of fat on my frame but so far I feel good.

I searched the thread and couldn't find any mention of Joe Rogan.  You prob know him from Fear Factor or stand-up, but he also hosts a podcast most days.  As an MMA commentator and Jiu-Jitsu guy he has a lot of athletes and cutting edge researchers that study athletic performance and diet as guests.  I've been watching them on youtube, but you can find them on his own website or other podcast aggregator sites.  The format is well suited to getting deep into the details.  Most are 2 to 3 hours long and it's just Joe and the guest talking about whatever the guest is an expert in plus whatever side topics come up.  I find them fascinating because in traditional media you get a handful of soundbites, sound effects and some really dramatic sounding commentary (i'm looking at you npr).

So how is this relevant to the Keto Thread on MMM?  There are several keto/diet expert guests on his show that range from athlete to R1 type researchers.  Rather than put up links, I'm going to name them and you can search them on the site you like.  As I mentioned, I watch on youtube on the channel PowerfulJRE, which is Rogan's official channel.  These have been life-changing to me and I hope you guys will find some info and motivation in the same way I have.

These will get you off to a good start, listed in order of relevance to keto diet.  It's ok to skip around as you see fit, but you have to watch Dom D'Agostino first.  He's a clinical researcher specializing in keto diet.

Dom D'Agostino
Nina Teicholz
Robb Wolf
Peter Attia
Gary Taubes
Rhonda Patrick
Shawn Baker
Ben Greenfield
Kelly Brogan

Joe Rogan is a gifted interviewer, will have to check those episodes out sometime. Thanks :)

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #365 on: May 02, 2018, 05:35:15 AM »
Two more good podcasts:

The Obesity Code
2 Keto Dudes

spookytaffy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #366 on: May 02, 2018, 10:32:23 AM »
I did low carb for around a year but then fell off the bandwagon big time.  Just jumped back on about a month ago.  This time, however, I'm not losing nearly as well as I did last time. I'm only a year older.  The only thing that has changed is my doc put me on a beta-blocker.  I've read that these can cause weight gain or slow weight loss.  Anyone have experience with this? I'm super frustrated.  I need to be low-carb and lose weight for Type 2 Diabetes. The beta-blocker is mainly because I have a non-dangerous irregular heart beat at times. It's just super annoying more than anything.  The cardiologist says my heart is "fantastic" and no problems; just this annoying beat rhythm now and then.   I really don't want to go off the beta-blocker--did I mention this heart rhythm is super annoying!?!?!?  I can actually feel it when it's going on.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #367 on: May 03, 2018, 07:19:01 AM »
I did low carb for around a year but then fell off the bandwagon big time.  Just jumped back on about a month ago.  This time, however, I'm not losing nearly as well as I did last time. I'm only a year older.  The only thing that has changed is my doc put me on a beta-blocker.  I've read that these can cause weight gain or slow weight loss.  Anyone have experience with this? I'm super frustrated.  I need to be low-carb and lose weight for Type 2 Diabetes. The beta-blocker is mainly because I have a non-dangerous irregular heart beat at times. It's just super annoying more than anything.  The cardiologist says my heart is "fantastic" and no problems; just this annoying beat rhythm now and then.   I really don't want to go off the beta-blocker--did I mention this heart rhythm is super annoying!?!?!?  I can actually feel it when it's going on.

what i really think borders on medical advice so i can't say it.  in your shoes i would find the type of doctor who helps me to get off long-term meds rather than the type that puts me on them.  check out kelly brogan, find someone local with a practice like hers. 

GuinnessPhish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #368 on: May 04, 2018, 01:05:44 PM »
I've found Dr. Eric Berg's videos to be really informative and helpful for explaining the keto diet and it's use in conjunction with intermittent fasting:

https://www.drberg.com/blog-article/ketogenic-diet-plan

https://youtu.be/AnyFVWwzgJI

https://www.facebook.com/drericberg/

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #369 on: May 04, 2018, 04:22:57 PM »
I'll be in.

My macros:

2100 calories per day.

5% carbs

39% protein

57% fat

I'm running a 25% caloric deficit. Note, with the higher protein content this is not medical/traditional ketosis, but ketosis geared to fat loss. Phinney's book (which I am in the middle of) talks about this, I think.

I'm using carb manager to track, and joined the FB group Ketogenic Intermittent Fasting.

Down 10 pounds in a little under a week. Mostly water weight, but it sure feels good not to have edema.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #370 on: May 04, 2018, 04:29:55 PM »
I've found Dr. Eric Berg's videos to be really informative and helpful for explaining the keto diet and it's use in conjunction with intermittent fasting:

https://www.drberg.com/blog-article/ketogenic-diet-plan

https://youtu.be/AnyFVWwzgJI

https://www.facebook.com/drericberg/

Thanks for this. I recently tried adding an IF day each week, and I think I over did it a bit. I don't know how my stats will be tomorrow, but I had a big cheat day this week, and I need to make a commitment not to eat peanut butter during the week.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #371 on: May 05, 2018, 05:02:42 AM »

4/14 - 207         148.5
4/21 - 209.        147
4/28 - 208.        145
5/5. - 209.         145

Pretty much unchanged this week. I added a fast that I think I'll continue. I'll fast Fridays until 6pm. I'm starting work soon, so hopefully that work doesn't hand out free lunches on Fridays lol.

I need to keep a no PB commitment. That truly is my one weakness. Also, I don't need to have the kind of cheat day I had last week. A normal amount of food should be fine.

caffeine

• Stubble
« Reply #372 on: May 07, 2018, 09:18:00 AM »
I'm down 20 lbs from 195 to 175 in 2 months. It's really hit me how much more effort it use to be to move around.

I also realized what seems to be the culprit of weight gain is buying new clothes because I was getting bigger. I bought new pants to be comfortable with the intention of losing weight later; however, I never lost the weight and put it off. Then when those pants got too tight I reluctantly bought larger pants and shirts - again with the intention of losing weight eventually.

My diet is basically:

Breakfast: skip
Lunch: 1 avocado, protein shake, serving of almonds, and 2 Brazilian nuts
Dinner: Brats, eggs, bacon, or whatever.
Desert: Sugar Free Jell-O with whip cream (If I must, this is my go to). I whip cream with generous portions of Stevia.

Eating as much brats and eggs and avocados I want makes everything great :)

I intend to reduce the processed meats and saturated fats with more unsaturated fast (ie: chicken breast & olive oil for instance). But while I'm getting in the groove this has been working.

I also tried lexde's Keto Cream Cheese Brownies. In a rush, I messed up and used 4 oz of Baker's chocolate. The chocolate portion was terribly bitter. The cream cheese portion made me question why I would ever need sugar - it tasted like normal cream cheese! I'll give the recipe a go again and hopefully not screw it up this time.

My goal is 155 so I still have a ways to go.

So, one month later - I'm at 173. I'm at 25% body fat. I'm still full keto, but work and life has gotten in the way of exercising and I have ate maybe a bit too much eggs and bacon. I think starting this week and hopefully for the rest of the month I'm going to be back to being very vigilant of my calories and exercise program.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #373 on: May 07, 2018, 03:19:40 PM »
@caffeine 2 pounds a month is still progress! I have frequently gone a month or more with less weight loss.

Don’t forget to look at measurements/clothing fit. For example, I have been weighing in at 200-202 for several weeks now but have dropped 2-3 belt notches in that time because I’m adding muscle on.

Sometimes weight loss slows while your body heals something now that your inflammatory response is so much lower. Lots of reasons.

A stall is only when you’ve not lost a pound for more than 6 weeks.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #374 on: May 07, 2018, 04:46:30 PM »
I've been listening to Jason Fung, MD on youtube and podcasts recently while waiting on his book at my library.

Here's a good primer on common misconception about fasting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXXGxoNFag4

I'm excited about doing some longer fasts. And honestly, I'm more excited for the time saving aspect than weight loss aspect. I did a 24 hour fast last week. I'm thinking of doing a 36 hour one this week.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #375 on: May 08, 2018, 01:29:50 PM »
I haven't posted here in a while because food-wise my life has been very boring.  I've identified that I have a strong egg and dairy allergy, and a moderate nut allergy.  Kinda put a damper on the low-carb diet!  :)  I also found I'm very sensitive to sodium so bacon is only eaten in small moderation, and usually as part of a whole meal.  If I eat it by itself, not good.  So basically, I eat meat and veggies with fat.

And, initially this was hard but over time it has become easier and now it actually feels really easy.  I know pretty much what I'm going to eat every day so shopping, cooking and planning are easy.  My sugar and carb cravings are gone and this low-carb way of eating just feels like life now.  I can see this as a permanent way of life. 

This past month has been stressful and I've been really surprised that I have not resorted to stress/emotional eating.  My body and brain seems to have finally separated body hunger from emotional hunger and I think it's due to the fact that it has adapted to low-carb and is no longer in a constant state of sugar spikes and crashes.  It's stable.  I'm pretty grateful for that. 

And I'm really glad to see that this thread has continued on just fine without me!  :)  I enjoy reading everyone's posts and knowing that there's a place I can come back to. 

And a big thanks for the link to The Magic Pill movie!  I enjoyed watching it and was encouraged to add more fat to my diet and I found that it not only made everything much tastier, but I started eating less food and it has contributed to losing more weight.

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #376 on: May 08, 2018, 02:13:36 PM »
Wife and I are on the keto plan right now.  She gets a headache if she doesn't have at least some carb before noon.  Even after 2 weeks of low carbing it.  Anyone else go through that?  She gets headaches and migraines super easy to she hates "giving herself" a headache when she knows there's a remedy (carb).

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #377 on: May 08, 2018, 02:39:25 PM »
Wife and I are on the keto plan right now.  She gets a headache if she doesn't have at least some carb before noon.  Even after 2 weeks of low carbing it.  Anyone else go through that?  She gets headaches and migraines super easy to she hates "giving herself" a headache when she knows there's a remedy (carb).

This can depend on a lot of things. Is your wife diabetic or pre-diabetic? If she is very insulin resistant, it can be difficult to transition to a more fat based diet. (But very necessary in order to avoid diabetes in the future!)

If not, it can be any number of things:
Not enough water
She simply has to fight through it the first day or so. So take a tylenol and wait it out.
Low Salt, Potassium, Magnesium, or Vitamin D.
It could be purely psychological. Carbs, especially high-glycemic ones, can be worse than eating sugar. She could be addicted.

She could instead try to transition for a few weeks first if no of the above works. Do a slow-carb diet for a few weeks in order to provide a transition period. That is no potatoes, sugars, rice, pasta, or bread. Only beans, lentils, tubers, and veggies.

Good luck!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #378 on: May 08, 2018, 06:30:47 PM »
^^ Basically +1 to everything

2 weeks is still not a long time for the body to fat adapt, some folks need a month or longer.

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #379 on: May 09, 2018, 06:48:19 AM »
Thanks.  I've thought about getting her some of the exogenous ketones to try to smooth out the transition.  Not sure if they'd help prevent the headaches or not.  She is chronically low in Vitamin D, I know that.  We will try a few things and see what works.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #380 on: May 12, 2018, 05:42:45 AM »

4/14 - 207         148.5
4/21 - 209.        147
4/28 - 208.        145
5/5. - 209.         145
5/12 - 205.         143.5

I did two 24 hour fasts this week which weren't too hard. It actually works pretty well with an office job. There was actually an office party, so I had an extra cheat night with a few friends foods, a little bread, and a drink. But I guess since I'm still pretty young I can get away with that.

I enjoy the fasting part. It feels like I recenter. The cravings I would have disappear, I don't feel the need to eat a ton of food, and I wake up well refreshed. I think this week I'll see if I can do two 36 hour fasts, and the week after I'll push to a 72 hour one.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #381 on: May 14, 2018, 09:11:15 AM »

yes.  i have had migraines for years and never been able to nail down a cause.  my current theory is that my shoulder/neck issues are causing tension and inflammation to migrate and begin whatever process causes migraines.

i've been slowly moving toward keto since feb of this year.  i first stopped eating bread, rice and other obvious carbs.  i still eat cashews pecans and dried cherries for breakfast along with a gt's kombucha.  i finish the day with a few bites of chocolate bar to sate the sugar tooth.  without measuring i estimate i'm in the 50-100g carbs per day range, so not strict keto, but pretty close.  one of my strategies in health/wellness is to set attainable goals and slowly move the goalposts.  if went headfirst and cold-turkey into keto i doubt i would stick with it. 

my next phase is to go without the nuts/fruit/kombucha for breakfast on weekends.  when i do that i get headachey and the last 3 weekends i've had low to moderate migraines.  i hesitate to attribute the migraines to my diet tho because i have no idea what really causes them.  fwiw i feel a LOT better since i've brought my carb intake down.

evensjw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #382 on: May 17, 2018, 06:15:20 PM »
Just started a keto diet about six weeks ago and so far really enjoying the experience.  I did it because my girlfriend wanted to lose weight and it's easier if the other person in the house isn't constantly guzzling carbs so I said I would play along!

Started out 5'8" and 165 pounds with all excess weight located in my beer gut.  Already down about 7 pounds and a noticeable difference in the shape of my stomach.  I'm really stoked because all kinds of exercise never had any impact by this dietary switch really seems to work.

I'm not super diligent at the moment, but as lot of people told me, what you eat depends on what's in your fridge and pantry, which right now is meat, cheese, avocados, green vegetables, so that's what I eat and no bread, pasta, rice, candy.  The hardest thing has been limiting my beer intake although that has probably also been one of the biggest contributors to my weight loss and other benefits.

Speaking of other benefits, I have loved cooking at home more (which was necessary since eating out options for keto are limited) and that has had a big impact on the other number I haven't been able to get to budge for a long time: the amount I spend on restaurant and bars.  Grocery spending is up a little bit but not a lot.

Balancing keto and exercise has been confusing.  I thought my running performance might get better with weight loss, but it seems to be getting worse.  Of course, it also just got very hot and humid in central Virginia, and I don't do well with humidity.  From what I have been reading, that can account for up to a 15% decrease in pace.  Once I get this half marathon out of the way this weekend I will have a bit more freedom to do more easy runs/cross training and build a better base of fitness around a keto diet.

I have found the dietary restrictions much less onerous than I thought.  I have tried gluten free before, and this has similarities so I already had a few recipes up my sleeve.  I like the fact that I basically get to eat as much as I want, which usually ends up being not very much because the fat satisfies my hunger.  I can't remember the last time I ate so much it hurt, which used to happen pretty regularly (like every time I went to Chipotle). I can definitely see this as a long term thing.  It's not the type of diet that I think makes it weird for friends to come over.  No one seems to mind or really notice that things like potatoes, pasta or bread are missing, when there's a plate of delicious meat in front of them!

My target weight is a stable 155, and I expect my fitness goals will require addition of a little bit of muscle, so I'm shooting to hit about 150, then work out a slightly sub-maintenance level of carb intake and gradually float up to 155.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #383 on: May 17, 2018, 06:50:04 PM »
@evensjw are you adding electrolytes? What specifically are you suffering with the running?

evensjw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #384 on: May 18, 2018, 01:06:49 PM »
@furrychickens not going fast enough ;-).  Like I said the humidity is probably playing a part.  I think there may also be a big mental component that I am worried that I am deficient in fuel or some other nutrient and don't have the confidence to push on.

I am not specifically adding electrolytes.  I'll eat half or a whole banana 30 mins or so before a run.  Avocados and spinach feature pretty heavily in my diet.  From what I'm reading it sounds like I might need to find a source of Magnesium.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #385 on: May 18, 2018, 02:00:37 PM »
Many folks see their heat tolerance go down with low carb. Mine was bad last year, so far on the few warm days up here it’s not been too bad but the real heat hasn’t come yet.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #386 on: May 20, 2018, 07:48:53 PM »
@furrychickens not going fast enough ;-).  Like I said the humidity is probably playing a part.  I think there may also be a big mental component that I am worried that I am deficient in fuel or some other nutrient and don't have the confidence to push on.

I am not specifically adding electrolytes.  I'll eat half or a whole banana 30 mins or so before a run.  Avocados and spinach feature pretty heavily in my diet.  From what I'm reading it sounds like I might need to find a source of Magnesium.
Roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds); especially shelled and salted!
I get raw at costco and roast myself; 1/4c is 190 cal; 17g fat; 4g carb (2g net); 10g protein; 10% magnesium.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #387 on: May 20, 2018, 07:49:37 PM »
Has anyone done a "fat fast"? Like this: https://www.ruled.me/using-fat-fasting-technique/

I'm skeptical because it sounds gimmicky but I'm trying it and will report back.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #388 on: May 21, 2018, 05:15:38 AM »
Has anyone done a "fat fast"? Like this: https://www.ruled.me/using-fat-fasting-technique/

I'm skeptical because it sounds gimmicky but I'm trying it and will report back.

It's a real thing, but the section on hitting "starvation mode" is wrong. You could also do this by doing a normal fast. The idea is the same, your body shifts to ketones instead of carbs.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #389 on: May 21, 2018, 05:36:34 AM »

It's a real thing, but the section on hitting "starvation mode" is wrong. You could also do this by doing a normal fast. The idea is the same, your body shifts to ketones instead of carbs.
Okay. I'm skeptical every time I hear "starvation mode" but Ruled.me is typically a good resource for all things keto. Thanks!

Day 1 of fat fast is down, I'm down .8lbs but I think my weight was artificially high to begin with. Today I'm doing OMAD ~975 cal with 4g net carbs, 108g fat, 13.5g protein.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #390 on: May 21, 2018, 06:24:11 AM »
Need to back off carbs and dairy a bit, as my sinus problems are kicking in something fierce, which is almost always a sign I’m doing too many carbs and/or dairy.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #391 on: May 21, 2018, 06:49:25 AM »
There's a YouTube channel called "Low Carb Down Under" that I've been listening to. They're short presentations by doctors and scientists that are easy to digest. There's lots of info on there about proper "fat fasts", regular fasts, and low carb dieting in general. I highly recommend it.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #392 on: May 21, 2018, 09:40:12 AM »
I have been low carb for about 5 weeks now, and down 9-10 lbs.   Thanks for the journal jane x, I especially felt heartened after your post about a carb feast day, and how you continued after.

My DH does intermittent fasting and it works very well for him, lost 30 lbs over a year ago, and it stayed off.  It does not work as well for me, although I can go from dinner to lunch the next day, or from a light breakfast to 9pm dinner, now that I am on lower food.   I read that the women hormones just don't want our bodies fasting all that long, and when we do, it causes other hormones to kick in.   It also interrupts fertility for women trying to get pregnant.

I know from before that when I stop low carb, I will gain the weight back, so I have to plan for that.  Right now, I have a goal weight for mid-July when I have a week-long backpacking adventure planned, and less weight on me means more energy on the trail.

Breakfast -- I ended up including a slightly higher carb breakfast, especially on my strength training days.   About three weeks in, when I resumed my weight class, I went to ZERO on the muscles, and had to sit out or risk fainting.  I had an egg for breakfast immediately before, and I knew my problem was the glycogen storage.  My muscles definitely went to "empty" after 15-20 minutes of weights / squats.   

On these days, I don't add carbs anywhere else, other than the normal veggies and cheese.

Breakfast ideas

This breakfast is chia (let sit with water for 20 min) with a 1/4 cup of blueberries and a heavy splash of cream.   Just enough to get me through the class.   I recommend it for anyone tired of eggs for breakfast. 

Another not-egg breakfast idea is the Lyn Genet "Flax Granola" with blueberries and sunflower seeds or almonds and cream.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #393 on: May 23, 2018, 09:04:51 PM »
There's a YouTube channel called "Low Carb Down Under" that I've been listening to. They're short presentations by doctors and scientists that are easy to digest. There's lots of info on there about proper "fat fasts", regular fasts, and low carb dieting in general. I highly recommend it.
Thanks for this!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #394 on: May 23, 2018, 09:08:19 PM »
Down another 1.4lbs but had to cut the fat fast after 2.5 days as my boss bought the office lunch. I would have declined except that I was able to order a poké bowl and couldn’t pass up $15 in free keto-friendly food. Got tuna, spicy tuna, cucumber (ate one piece), edamame (had 5 or 6), and double cream cheese. High fat, good free fuel.

I am going to moderate myself over the next week or two and then do another fat fast 6/5-6/9.

Happily Irrelevant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #395 on: May 25, 2018, 05:29:05 PM »
My new favorite side dish.  I'm always looking for something to eat with the protein.  Plus I'm a very lazy cook so I like things that are canned or frozen so I can easily combine it.  Well my tells me her nutritionist said she needs more fats in her diet.  So I see the recipe here for cracked chicken and ruined it by using too much Hidden Valley Ranch, but it gave me an idea.  So I buy 3 of the Birds Eye frozen sour cream and chive mashed cauliflower.   I started off by melting one stick of butter and on 8oz block of cream cheese together.  Then I heated up the cauliflower mashers and mixed it all up and added pepper.  It was really good, not just low carb good.  Low carb but with more fats than I usually get. 

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #396 on: May 26, 2018, 05:31:24 AM »
Two week update!

4/14 - 207         148.5
4/21 - 209.        147
4/28 - 208.        145
5/5. - 209.         145
5/12 - 205.         143.5
5/19 - 204.        143.5
5/26 - 207.        144

I've almost been at this for two months, with some small reductions. It makes sense, the fat I'm trying to get rid of has been on me basically since elementary school. I'm expecting it be quite stubborn. But I haven't had any movement the past two weeks. Part of that is work had us ho out to eat this week, and I've been starting to think that I need to tone down my cheat days/eliminate them since I get plenty of opportunities to cheat at work.

It's easy for me to deny sweets though.

I've done a few 24 hour fasts in the past two weeks. I think my calendar is clear to attempt a 3 day/ 60 hour fast so I'll likely do Tuesday dinner through Friday dinner. I'm going to try to make it water only, but I have some broth in the fridge for backup.

This week I'm reading The Big Fat Surprise by Nina Teicholz. While I'm already on board with a higher fat diet, I hope she covers some material on what vegetable oils do to the body. (Some motivation to stay away from restaurants!)

L2

• Stubble
« Reply #397 on: May 29, 2018, 05:55:45 AM »
First day of Keto for me. Woohoo. I've accumulated some things the past few times to the grocery store, but yesterday was my first exclusively keto grocery shopping trip and i ended up spending about $10 less than normal. Ended up having to buy a food scale to track everything closely. I think it will be a good investment for this. Goal is to follow the diet through 7/2. Scale said I weighed 174 this morning. I would be satisfied with 165 at the end of it (assuming all weight lost is fat).

Started the day off with some coconut oil coffee. Projecting 553 calories through lunch (44.6 fat, 32.4 protein, 6 net carbs). I'm only looking at a little over 1k in calories today......I think I'm going to have to find a way to increase that.

caffeine

• Stubble
« Reply #398 on: May 29, 2018, 10:46:11 AM »
I'm down 20 lbs from 195 to 175 in 2 months. It's really hit me how much more effort it use to be to move around.

My diet is basically:

Breakfast: skip
Lunch: 1 avocado, protein shake, serving of almonds, and 2 Brazilian nuts
Dinner: Brats, eggs, bacon, or whatever.
Desert: Sugar Free Jell-O with whip cream (If I must, this is my go to). I whip cream with generous portions of Stevia.

My goal is 155 so I still have a ways to go.

I'm down to 169 now! Woot!

Unfortunately, I got some concerning blood work:

4/7/17:

Cholesterol:           164 mg/dL
Triglycerides:           71 mg/dL
VDL Calc:                14 mg/dL
HDL Chol:                41 mg/dL
LDL Calculated:      109 mg/dL

5/25/18:

Cholesterol:           215 mg/dL
Triglycerides:           92 mg/dL
VDL Calc:                18 mg/dL
HDL Chol:                42 mg/dL
LDL Calculated:      155 mg/dL     

I messed this test up by snacking on cheese and pork skins so it maybe skewed. I didn't' realize I had to be fasted.

I will be cutting back from red meat completely for a month. I heard Sam's Club offers free lipid tests. So I'll hit that up at the end of June to see if my adjustments make a difference.

I think I probably went overboard with steak cuts, bacon, brats. :(

I'd be interested if anyone else could post their lipid tests particularly if there is a pre and post keto comparison.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:44:09 AM by caffeine »

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #399 on: May 29, 2018, 04:39:53 PM »
It’s quite normal to see a transient rise in cholesterol in first 6-12 months.

Also, what's considered a more accurate test is cholesterol particle size.

This site has been recommended to me in the past re: cholesterol and low carb, but I haven’t had the time to read it yet: http://cholesterolcode.com/