Author Topic: Keto & Low-Carb Challenge  (Read 95236 times)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Re: Keto & Low-Carb Challenge
« Reply #300 on: March 20, 2018, 08:37:59 AM »
My weight has been fluctuating a lot lately and it’s really frustrating. I initially dropped 5lbs, then another 2.5, and I’m back up 4lbs. Crazy body. I know I just need to stick with it, though!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #301 on: March 20, 2018, 10:24:21 AM »
My weight has been fluctuating a lot lately and it’s really frustrating. I initially dropped 5lbs, then another 2.5, and I’m back up 4lbs. Crazy body. I know I just need to stick with it, though!

How frequently do you weigh? I weigh myself typically M-W-F and while there are some weeks I’ve been exactly the same fasting weight each day, I regularly fluctuate 2-3 pounds. But over time, that 2-3 pound range slowly notches down about half a pound every few weeks. So, a while back I was oscilatting between 212-215 every weigh in but this week I’m bouncing between 207-209.

Psychologically, for me at least, weighing more frequently makes it easier to see the ups and downs as normal fluctuations.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #302 on: March 21, 2018, 07:30:29 AM »

How frequently do you weigh? I weigh myself typically M-W-F and while there are some weeks I’ve been exactly the same fasting weight each day, I regularly fluctuate 2-3 pounds. But over time, that 2-3 pound range slowly notches down about half a pound every few weeks. So, a while back I was oscilatting between 212-215 every weigh in but this week I’m bouncing between 207-209.

Psychologically, for me at least, weighing more frequently makes it easier to see the ups and downs as normal fluctuations.
I’ve been weighing 2-3x per week depending on how I’m feeling. If I’m bloated because of my cycle then I don’t bother since I know I’ll be way up and just need to ride it out. Overall I’m still down about 5lbs, so its all good.

northener80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #303 on: March 22, 2018, 12:14:24 PM »

I’ve been weighing 2-3x per week depending on how I’m feeling. If I’m bloated because of my cycle then I don’t bother since I know I’ll be way up and just need to ride it out. Overall I’m still down about 5lbs, so its all good.

I like that idea of checking it often so that you learn what the natural fluctuations are. Weirdly my weight is much more stable on keto than it was before. I would have swings or 2-3kgs +- per day. On keto even the extremes are only 1kg or so per day. Granted, I don't have any monthly cycles interfering :P

Down to 84kg now, moving very slowly but that's just fine as I really don't have much to lose anymore. It's more about general health and feeling good. Tonight I will actually cheat quite badly, but tomorrow I'm back on keto again of course.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #304 on: March 22, 2018, 03:57:22 PM »
I just couldn’t IF today. One of those days. So I ate 300 calories of whipped cream for breakfast. There, I admit it. Normally, this would be a huge problem and throw off my entire day. On keto, no repercussions whatsoever (except that I’ve eaten 300 calories for breakfast instead of IF). I had a dark chicken quarter for lunch and am stuck at work so dinner will probably be a few ounces of cheese since I’m working so late.

I need to lift tonight, do a quick yoga routine, meditate for 5 minutes, and go to bed. Should take an hour to get done, need to get it done. :-)

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #305 on: March 24, 2018, 06:33:32 PM »
At the two week mark and struggling to get in many calories. I'm hardly ever hungry and when I do eat I get full extremely quickly. I'm a 32 year old 6'2 355 lb Male Computer Engineer (so very sedentary job). I've been struggling to get in 1000 calories a day, if that. I love Keto foods but if I eat any more I feel sick.

I haven't been eating lunch because I'm never hungry at all at that time, I don't even start to get a little bit hungry until after work.

Is this normal on Keto? I know appetite can go down a lot, but this is crazy.

Do I need to pack and eat a lunch even though I'm not hungry just to get in at least a reasonable amount of calories?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #306 on: March 25, 2018, 04:59:31 AM »
@Gronnie only eat if you’re hungry, and genuinely hungry, not the false hunger you can get if dehydrated. Think of how many thousands of calories of fat you’ve got stored up. Your body is trying to use that now.

Don’t be surprised if every so often you have a day you’re suddenly ravenous, and then back to low hunger again. I’ve seen many folks report a similar pattern to you.

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #307 on: March 25, 2018, 07:51:21 AM »
Yep, this is precisely the point of low / no carb diets. It's something the "calories in, calories out" brigade don't get - they have the correlation correct, but their causation is wrong. You're not losing weight because you're eating less - you're eating less because you're losing weight. You don't get better gas mileage out of your car by putting less fuel in it - if you drive in such a way to get better gas mileage then putting less fuel in it is a consequence of that.

+1 to the above post - listen to your body, and only eat when you can honestly say you're hungry (not because it's lunch / dinner time, or because you're bored and it's something to do).

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #308 on: March 27, 2018, 08:57:35 AM »
My weight is all over the place this week and it’s been super frustrating.

I’m at work right now and a big Partner is in from our main office out of state. I’m not sure whether we are going out to lunch but I’m going to try to avoid it if possible. If not, who knows if it will have a keto option. I have my door shut now and am working on a bunch of stuff so hopefully they skip the invite.

I decided I’m going to do a fat fast for the next day or two. 80%+ calories from fat and as close to zero carb as I can manage. I’m minding my electrolytes and haven’t eaten since dinner last night. Didn’t pack lunch, and am planning to OMAD today (as long as no Partner-lunch happens) with one high fat meal when I get home tonight. Then OMAD (+/- BPC in the AM) Wednesday and Thursday to try to get myself back on track.

How is everyone else doing?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #309 on: March 27, 2018, 11:15:47 AM »
Consistently weighing in at 206, one pound up from my lowest adult weight. Based on belts and clothes I’m at a lower BF% this time.

Activity level has been up but not as high as I’d normally be this time of year because I can’t push my back too hard. I’m making progress with chiro though :)

Because of increased activity, being close to goal #1, and my chiro’s desire for me to get more varied nutrition, I’ve been eating more fruit. Mainly to make green smoothies palatable. So my carbs are higher than they’ve likely been but so far going okay.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #310 on: March 29, 2018, 12:44:56 PM »
OK - next week I'm going off the diet for a week.  I need to eat different food and satisfy a few cravings.  Hopefully I won't gain more than 2 pounds.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #311 on: March 29, 2018, 02:13:40 PM »
Depending on your starting weight and what you plan on eating, I would be the over. Most of it will be water weight though.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #312 on: March 29, 2018, 02:47:37 PM »
OK - next week I'm going off the diet for a week.  I need to eat different food and satisfy a few cravings.  Hopefully I won't gain more than 2 pounds.

All that does in my experience is make me feel like shit and then reset the clock on sugar cravings. I’ve successfully kept grain and sugar free (other than fruit) for 5 months straight and really settling in to this as a permanent lifestyle change.

As always YMMV.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #313 on: March 30, 2018, 11:04:06 AM »
Wohoo down 56 pounds from high weight of 405! First time I have seen <350 on a scale in a few years.

First 35 sucked hardcore doing it the "normal" way, cranky and hungry all the time. Been on Keto for 2.5 weeks now and down 21 lbs and hardly any hunger.

Listening to my hunger and mainly just doing OMAD as not often hungry. On days where I am hungrier will do 2 meals, but absolutely no snacking (not that I would need to). I get full so fast now.

northener80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #314 on: March 31, 2018, 02:27:43 AM »
It's that time of year... easter. At least around here that means that obscene amounts of candy is consumed. I used to take part in this and load up with lots of it. Right now though I really don't feel like I even want it, no need to even use will power. Feels great! :)

So, what is everyone's favorite easter foods? keto or not :P

For me: cold smoked salmon is a must, and pickled herring too.

northener80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #315 on: March 31, 2018, 02:28:25 AM »
Wohoo down 56 pounds from high weight of 405! First time I have seen <350 on a scale in a few years.

First 35 sucked hardcore doing it the "normal" way, cranky and hungry all the time. Been on Keto for 2.5 weeks now and down 21 lbs and hardly any hunger.

Listening to my hunger and mainly just doing OMAD as not often hungry. On days where I am hungrier will do 2 meals, but absolutely no snacking (not that I would need to). I get full so fast now.

Wow! That's great :) Keep up the good work and just enjoy all of the good foods every day.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #316 on: March 31, 2018, 04:44:22 AM »
It's that time of year... easter. At least around here that means that obscene amounts of candy is consumed. I used to take part in this and load up with lots of it. Right now though I really don't feel like I even want it, no need to even use will power. Feels great! :)

Outside of dyeing eggs for the egg hunt and some candy we have never really had traditional Easter foods. I think this year my mom said she was making lasagna plus a small ham for me being keto. I don’t really remember her making the same things each year like the way Thanksgiving and Christmas are.

I will be running some rabbit on the smoker earlier in the day, might bring some to share. Mmmm, Easter rabbit!

northener80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #317 on: March 31, 2018, 06:14:29 AM »

Outside of dyeing eggs for the egg hunt and some candy we have never really had traditional Easter foods. I think this year my mom said she was making lasagna plus a small ham for me being keto. I don’t really remember her making the same things each year like the way Thanksgiving and Christmas are.

I will be running some rabbit on the smoker earlier in the day, might bring some to share. Mmmm, Easter rabbit!

Haha that's great! I love that, easter rabbit. First the rabbit delivers the eggs and then you eat it eggcelent easter story, would fit well into any of the brothers Grimm stories :) I'll keep that in mind for next year.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #318 on: March 31, 2018, 10:13:31 AM »
Hadn't been paying enough attention to hydration and electrolytes last couple days and sure enough woke up in the middle of the night with the worst Charlie Horse / Muscle Spasm I have ever had in my calf. It literally had me in tears. Won't be making that mistake again!

Got a bunch of Bone Broth, Lite Salt, Magnesium Pill, and Powerade Zero in me and feel quite a bit better now. That calf is super sore though!

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #319 on: March 31, 2018, 12:24:58 PM »
It's Easter tomorrow and my birthday on Monday and I don't know what to eat / make.  My husband offered to make me a cake... maybe he will do a flourless cake?  Any suggestions for fun foods that you like for parties and celebrations?  Thanks!

chicwhitesox1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #320 on: April 01, 2018, 04:25:21 AM »
I'm also trying the no carb no sugar diet and here's https://www.dietspotlight.com/no-carb-diet/ where I'm getting my list of foods to eat and stay away from. I'm loving my steak and seafood so far, but my food budget is getting a bit crazy. So not very Mustachian!

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #321 on: April 01, 2018, 07:13:20 PM »
I just moved back to the States recently, and I've been looking to get back on track to losing weight to get down to 8-12% BF range. I probably haven't been that thin since elementary school, so this has been a dream a long time coming.

About 6 years ago I did Atkins/Keto, and went from 260 to 200 at 6'6''. It's great those first couple months of losing multiple pounds a week, but eventually I hit a wall. I started to struggle with headaches and low energy. I never looked fantastic, I'd say I acheived a skinny/fat look. I attempted to reboot my Keto diet, improving my knowledge and attempts each time, added a weightlifting goal, but couldn't move the needle without major energy swings. That was even with fully supplementing with Potassium, Magnesium, and extra salt.

I'm looking to make a different attempt this time around. I recently read through 4 hour body, and I think doing slow carb will help me stick to the diet and not mess with my energy levels. I've started and plan on sprouting all my lentils/beans to increase protein and limit carb intake. I'm going to record my weekly weight and measurements. I'm starting out at 210 and 150.5 inches. My goal is look good, so overall reduce inches.

Since 4HB isn't a strict keto diet, I plan on taking the cheat day Ferriss suggests to take. I'm hoping to be employed soon, so I plan on starting a minimalist weightlifting routine as well in a few weeks.

If anyone has questions about keto, I got a lot of great info from Dr. Eade's blog when I was doing that.

It's been encouraging to hear your guys progress. My advice: don't kick yourself on a cheat day. Know you'll gain some water, but you can lose it just as fast. It's not a major setback.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #322 on: April 02, 2018, 05:58:14 AM »
204.6 this morning. Have NEVER weighed less than 205 as an adult, and pretty sure I have to go back to like 14 years old (always a fat kid).

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #323 on: April 02, 2018, 07:43:52 AM »

All that does in my experience is make me feel like shit and then reset the clock on sugar cravings. I’ve successfully kept grain and sugar free (other than fruit) for 5 months straight and really settling in to this as a permanent lifestyle change.

As always YMMV.
Depending on your starting weight and what you plan on eating, I would be the over. Most of it will be water weight though.

So basically I'm having a few of my favorite carb meals and ice cream with liquor for desert.  So mac and cheese and BBQ ribs.  Then Mint chocolate chip ice cream with Godiva chocolate liquor.  The idea is to satisfy the cravings and not eat any of the foods I would on the low carb diet so when I go back on it, I will enjoy those foods again.  Also, when I tell myself in 3 months you can have a week of whatever you want, I tend to stay the course because there's an "end" to it.  If I can keep up the 3 months on, one week off routine the whole year, I should drop a decent amount of weight and maybe this will be a pattern I can sustain forever.  I chose 3 months because that's how long it takes your cells to regenerate and A1C to normalize.  It also helps to keep from becoming insulin resistant.  I'll report back next week and let you know how it went.

caffeine

• Stubble
« Reply #324 on: April 06, 2018, 10:34:19 AM »
I'm down 20 lbs from 195 to 175 in 2 months. It's really hit me how much more effort it use to be to move around.

I also realized what seems to be the culprit of weight gain is buying new clothes because I was getting bigger. I bought new pants to be comfortable with the intention of losing weight later; however, I never lost the weight and put it off. Then when those pants got too tight I reluctantly bought larger pants and shirts - again with the intention of losing weight eventually.

My diet is basically:

Breakfast: skip
Lunch: 1 avocado, protein shake, serving of almonds, and 2 Brazilian nuts
Dinner: Brats, eggs, bacon, or whatever.
Desert: Sugar Free Jell-O with whip cream (If I must, this is my go to). I whip cream with generous portions of Stevia.

Eating as much brats and eggs and avocados I want makes everything great :)

I intend to reduce the processed meats and saturated fats with more unsaturated fast (ie: chicken breast & olive oil for instance). But while I'm getting in the groove this has been working.

I also tried lexde's Keto Cream Cheese Brownies. In a rush, I messed up and used 4 oz of Baker's chocolate. The chocolate portion was terribly bitter. The cream cheese portion made me question why I would ever need sugar - it tasted like normal cream cheese! I'll give the recipe a go again and hopefully not screw it up this time.

My goal is 155 so I still have a ways to go.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 01:13:53 PM by caffeine »

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #325 on: April 06, 2018, 11:06:27 AM »
I'm down 20 lbs from 195 to 175 in 2 months. It's really hit me how much more effort it use to be to move around.

I also realized what seems to be the culprit of weight gain is buying new clothes because I was getting bigger. I bought new pants to be comfortable with the intention of losing weight later; however, I never lost the weight and put it off. Then when those pants got too tight I reluctantly bought larger pants and shirts - again with the intention of losing weight eventually.

My diet is basically:

Breakfast: skip
Lunch: 1 avocado, protein shake, serving of almonds, and 2 Brazilian nuts
Dinner: Brats, eggs, bacon, or whatever.
Desert: Sugar Free Jell-O with whip cream (If I must, this is my go to)

Eating as much brats and eggs and avocados I want makes everything great :)

I intend to reduce the processed meats and saturated fats with more unsaturated fast (ie: chicken breast & olive oil for instance). But while I'm getting in the groove this has been working.

I also tried lexde's Keto Cream Cheese Brownies. In a rush, I messed up and used 4 oz of Baker's chocolate. The chocolate portion was terribly bitter. The cream cheese portion made me question why I would ever need sugar - it tasted like normal cream cheese! I'll give the recipe a go again and hopefully not screw it up this time.

My goal is 155 so I still have a ways to go.

20 lbs in 2 months is amazing! You're half way, but I think you should make sure to reset your expectations. The second 20 lbs will probably take 4-6 months.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #326 on: April 06, 2018, 03:04:21 PM »
I'm also trying the no carb no sugar diet and here's https://www.dietspotlight.com/no-carb-diet/ where I'm getting my list of foods to eat and stay away from. I'm loving my steak and seafood so far, but my food budget is getting a bit crazy. So not very Mustachian!
Well, you don’t get to eat the cheap fillers (flour, rice, potatoes) but it’s putting better fuel in your body. You can get reasonably priced fat though if you buy in bulk (olive/coconut oil, butter, etc.). I found keto was most expensive for me when I was eating too much protein/mostly meat instead of focusing on eating mostly fat.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #327 on: April 07, 2018, 05:02:52 AM »
So 1 week so for on 4HB diet.
Down to 206 from 210.
Dropped one inch total, and it all came from my thighs. Weird.

Well since you can't lose 4 lbs of fat in a week. I'm going to say this is definitely 95% water. It's my first official cheat day, so the proof in this diet will show itself in the weeks to come.

Força.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #328 on: April 08, 2018, 06:40:28 PM »
Keto has been an absolute lifesaver for me this week. Had to find a new apartment and moved this weekend while my (soon to be ex) SO is on “work travel” (which he uses to also have fun on the side, I have recently learned).

With keto, OMAD is okay. I have been moving, cleaning, hauling, and packing all weekend and my energy levels are consistent and I can focus on what I need to do without craving and caving into a pint of ice cream or other sweets. Just one high fat meal around 2pm and I’m okay. I’m sure I can’t keep going on laser-focus mode for too much longer but I just need to hold out until Wednesday when I’m officially moved out and I can go from there.

I would have been so much worse off this weekend if I wasn’t fat-adapted.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #329 on: April 11, 2018, 05:49:55 AM »
OK.  I've had  my week of indulgence and weighed myself at the gym.  I gained one pound.  I am cautiously optimistic about this as it can take up to a week for my bad behavior to show up on the scale.  So by Sunday I'll know for sure the damage that was done.  I'm back on the diet as of Monday but did have an ice cream bar last night (but no alcohol at least) so it's not all sunshine getting the self control back.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #330 on: April 13, 2018, 06:20:01 AM »
Interestingly, my weight loss has accelerated with a bit more carbs in the diet.

I also feel better overall. I don’t track macros, but I’m pretty sure I’m up a decent number of carbs.

No grains, no concentrated sugar, no starchy veg, but more nuts and more fruit (though currently still all low glycemic index fruits). Some plain yoghurt as well. Nuts are probably 2x and fruit easily 4-6x the amount recommended for strict keto. Will be interesting to see if this continues.

Approaching “Onederland” and I’m at a level of thinness already that my body feels strange to me.

northener80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #331 on: April 13, 2018, 09:11:06 AM »
Interestingly, my weight loss has accelerated with a bit more carbs in the diet.

I also feel better overall. I don’t track macros, but I’m pretty sure I’m up a decent number of carbs.

No grains, no concentrated sugar, no starchy veg, but more nuts and more fruit (though currently still all low glycemic index fruits). Some plain yoghurt as well. Nuts are probably 2x and fruit easily 4-6x the amount recommended for strict keto. Will be interesting to see if this continues.

Approaching “Onederland” and I’m at a level of thinness already that my body feels strange to me.

Could it be that your metabolic system isn't as messed up as it is for many of the people trying keto? With decent insulin resistance the body can just use those carbs to fuel itself as intended and as long as you are at a calorie deficit it should use up the fat. That 20g rule seems to be more of a minimum level that puts anyone into ketosis, most of us should be ok with more after a while.

My experience with carbs after becoming fat adapted is a bit weird, I get very warm until I've burned them off if I consume big amounts. Same as you though, weight loss works just fine, even though I'm more trying to maintain/gain now.

northener80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #332 on: April 13, 2018, 09:12:44 AM »
Keto has been an absolute lifesaver for me this week. Had to find a new apartment and moved this weekend while my (soon to be ex) SO is on “work travel” (which he uses to also have fun on the side, I have recently learned).

With keto, OMAD is okay. I have been moving, cleaning, hauling, and packing all weekend and my energy levels are consistent and I can focus on what I need to do without craving and caving into a pint of ice cream or other sweets. Just one high fat meal around 2pm and I’m okay. I’m sure I can’t keep going on laser-focus mode for too much longer but I just need to hold out until Wednesday when I’m officially moved out and I can go from there.

I would have been so much worse off this weekend if I wasn’t fat-adapted.

Wow! Way to go and use that new found strength. Being successful at a time like that is a HUUUUUUGE win!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #333 on: April 13, 2018, 10:47:49 AM »

Could it be that your metabolic system isn't as messed up as it is for many of the people trying keto? With decent insulin resistance the body can just use those carbs to fuel itself as intended and as long as you are at a calorie deficit it should use up the fat. That 20g rule seems to be more of a minimum level that puts anyone into ketosis, most of us should be ok with more after a while.

My experience with carbs after becoming fat adapted is a bit weird, I get very warm until I've burned them off if I consume big amounts. Same as you though, weight loss works just fine, even though I'm more trying to maintain/gain now.

Possible, dunno.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #334 on: April 13, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »
Spending the next two weeks in a hotel in the Bay Area for work. I foresee a lot of protein style double doubles in my future.

Any other good go-to Keto restaurant ideas?

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #335 on: April 14, 2018, 05:24:30 AM »
So 1 week so for on 4HB diet.
Down to 206 from 210.
Dropped one inch total, and it all came from my thighs. Weird.

Well since you can't lose 4 lbs of fat in a week. I'm going to say this is definitely 95% water. It's my first official cheat day, so the proof in this diet will show itself in the weeks to come.

Força.

3/31 - 210lbs.  150.5 inches (legs, hips, waist, and arms)
4/7   - 206         149.5
4/14 - 207         148.5

So even with the cheat day, my total inches are going down. I'm glad that I'm measuring too. Before I would have taken the 1 lb. gain as a bad sign, but this encourages me that the gain is nothing bad. (That and I don't think I'm using the best scale in the world, so ehh?)

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #336 on: April 16, 2018, 06:49:53 AM »
Spending the next two weeks in a hotel in the Bay Area for work. I foresee a lot of protein style double doubles in my future.

Stick with ordering meat and a low carb vegetable.  If they offer a second side ask for another vegetable, salad or another serving of the same vegetable.  Try to order something you don't normally eat at home (i.e grilled lamb chops) or that's a pain to make at home.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #337 on: April 16, 2018, 06:58:08 AM »
Hit “Onederland” today! 199.8.

Have never been below 205 as an adult, so not sure how much more weight I will lose. I’d guess I have 10-20 pounds of fat still on me.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #338 on: April 17, 2018, 10:29:55 PM »

Stick with ordering meat and a low carb vegetable.  If they offer a second side ask for another vegetable, salad or another serving of the same vegetable.  Try to order something you don't normally eat at home (i.e grilled lamb chops) or that's a pain to make at home.

I was so damn close to saying screw it and breaking this diet tonight, and I'm only 5 sleeps into a 15 sleep business trip.

At home I can just not keep any carbs around, but eating in restaurants is constant temptation. At Chipotle I want beans and rice, at Five Guys and In N' Out the delicious bread and french fries, at the steakhouse last night the amazing looking bread they put in front of you as soon as you sit down.

Somehow found the willpower to stick to Protein Style Double Double, probably because I have seen such great results so far.

Had some blood work done yesterday, and results were much better than October. A1C, bad and total cholesterol, fasting blood glucose all significantly down. Good cholesterol up. Weight down 65 pounds since the year started, using Keto since 3/11. I need to keep this up, because it's the only thing that has ever worked well for me!

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #339 on: April 17, 2018, 10:36:08 PM »
One concerning thing was that my blood pressure was much higher than normal. I am normally somewhere around 118/80, and I think it was like 138/82 or something like that.

I am not sure if it is due to diet, or maybe just stress from travel and lack of sleep?

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #340 on: April 18, 2018, 06:28:10 AM »
That is odd. I usually have unusually low blood pressure when on a low carb diet, but if you still have significant weight to lose I can imagine it may be a while before things settle down and you can make small changes to see if your stats improve.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #341 on: April 18, 2018, 10:34:13 AM »

I was so damn close to saying screw it and breaking this diet tonight, and I'm only 5 sleeps into a 15 sleep business trip.

At home I can just not keep any carbs around, but eating in restaurants is constant temptation. At Chipotle I want beans and rice, at Five Guys and In N' Out the delicious bread and french fries, at the steakhouse last night the amazing looking bread they put in front of you as soon as you sit down.

Somehow found the willpower to stick to Protein Style Double Double, probably because I have seen such great results so far.

Had some blood work done yesterday, and results were much better than October. A1C, bad and total cholesterol, fasting blood glucose all significantly down. Good cholesterol up. Weight down 65 pounds since the year started, using Keto since 3/11. I need to keep this up, because it's the only thing that has ever worked well for me!
Good work keeping up the fight.  And 65 pounds in under 4 months?  That's phenomenal Biggest Loser style results!

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #342 on: April 18, 2018, 11:39:11 AM »

Good work keeping up the fight.  And 65 pounds in under 4 months?  That's phenomenal Biggest Loser style results!
It's easy when you start at 405. It's starting to slow down.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #343 on: April 18, 2018, 01:25:57 PM »
Well if by slowing down you mean you're only losing 30 lbs every 4 months, know that that is still amazing progress! Your body needs time to readjust to major changes you're making, so it's not odd to hit plateaus. Your body is trying to readjust the amount of skin it carries, the amount of electrolytes it needs to take in, different hormones, your bones and joints probably have some amount of chronic fatigue that they need to recover from.

When starting from 400, (I don't know your build but assume you're aiming for the 150-200 range.) expect to reach 300 only after consistently eating well for 10-14 months.

Take this time to build good habits. I remember those cravings, and I still get them from time-to-time, but I mitigate them mostly through a few things:

1. I don't allow them in my house - I have one exception, Peanut butter, which I think is a weakness of mine, I try to limit my intake, and it's addictiveness has been studied.
2. When I have a craving, I meditate on certain statements:
     "That junk makes me feel bad."
     "That junk does have the nutrition I need."
     "That junk does not have power over me, I decide what I eat and what I put into my body"

About 4-5 years ago, I quit soda. In the first 2-3 years of that, I maybe had a soda once every 3-4 months. Then it eventually turned into once or twice a year. Now, I can't remember the last time I had one. Each progressive soda I've had, just tastes worse to me now, or I have my fill after about 3 or 4 sips. And I decided to stop letting my mind tell me "Oh but you shouldn't waste it since you got it.". It's sugar water it has little to no nutritional value, economic value, or happiness value. The same goes for basic white bread, rice, potatoes, and sugar. It's cheap, useless calories. Get in the habit of throwing it away in the trash rather than your body.

But like many others, I used to drink sodas/ eat candy regularly. You can retrain your mind, but it takes time. It takes effort, and it doesn't mean you'll be perfect. Good job so far, and I hope to hear of great results come 2019!

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #344 on: April 19, 2018, 06:42:34 AM »

It's easy when you start at 405. It's starting to slow down.
Doesn't matter, it's still awesome.  But like FIPurpose said, don't get discouraged because the loss is slowing down. Your body will adjust itself.  Also, if you're doing any exercise, you're building muscle which is ~8x denser than fat, so you might be losing fat but gaining muscle with a net effect of less weigh loss.  You should see if you're losing inches (how do your clothes fit) since muscle takes up less space than fat.

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #345 on: April 20, 2018, 10:20:23 AM »
I was at Tesco the other day looking for yellow sticker bargains. Saw some strange root vegetables reduced to £0.20 each. Thought I'd give one a try. Looking at the receipt revealed it to be Celeriac.

Not knowing what to do with it, I cut some up and cooked them as chips (fries for you in the US). They tasted pretty good!

I had a google around, and apparently Celeriac chips are a thing, and they have only a third of the carbs of the usual potato variety. Nice! Why has nobody told me about these before? Sounds like just the thing for a low carb diet.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #346 on: April 20, 2018, 11:06:31 AM »
I personally despise the taste of celeriac but it’s definitely something to consider for low carb. Some folks also like using radishes or turnips to make chips/home fries.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #347 on: April 21, 2018, 04:56:14 AM »
3/31 - 210lbs.  150.5 inches (legs, hips, waist, and arms)
4/7   - 206         149.5
4/14 - 207         148.5
4/21 - 209.        147

Even I'm starting to be surprised by these results. Perhaps I'm at the upper end of my natural weight? It's not weird for me to fluctuate within 5 lbs. But my inches continue to decline, the area around my hips has been decreasing at a consistent .5 inch each week.

I started an exercise routine this week, but I over did it. I wore out my muscles too much. So I've had to delay to workout #2 a few more days than I planned.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #348 on: April 25, 2018, 05:30:50 PM »
My keto sweet-tooth, continued: https://divaliciousrecipes.com/cream-cheese-cookies-low-carb/

These are awesome!

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #349 on: April 25, 2018, 05:37:43 PM »
Jumping in here to join you guys. Lots to lose. After low calorie yo yo dieting practically all my adult life I have realized that diets do. not. work.

I have been eating lower carb for a couple of weeks now, and doing 16:8 intermittent fasting, with one attempt at a 24 hour fast. Made it to 22 hours on that one. I will try it again, probably on Saturday.

One of my big downfalls is emotional eating. Stress, boredom, sadness, loneliness, etc all trigger cravings for sugary carbs.

Now that the weather is nicer, I have started walking outside again. I find this really helps with my mood, and therefore with the cravings.

ETA: What are you guys' thoughts on Paleo? Is it much different than lchf?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 05:59:49 PM by Prairie Gal »