Author Topic: ...  (Read 9357 times)

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
Re: July ~ Weight Loss Challenge
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2018, 10:35:07 AM »
Thanks for sharing your story, neophyte. You definitely sound like a success story to me! I edited my previous post to remove the specific quotes from you and Sun Hat, because I didn't intend to sound like I was singling you guys out; y'all were just the most recent commenters to mention the difficulty of weight loss.

I didn't mean for you to feel like you had to delete it! Talking about how hard it is for me helps me deal with it sometimes. And it's nice to see I'm not alone.  In my opinion nothing is worse than people who say "loosing weight is easy, just eat less and exercise more." Yeah, ok, easy in theory! Or people who say "loosing a kilo a week isn't very much, that seems easy to me. You should be able to lose at least twice that if you try." Ugh! You try it then! And keep it up for more than 2 weeks!
This is a meaty point for me. And probably the one that I'll have the hardest time with. I understand that the weight loss regime is for a limited time, which makes it easier. I can tolerate anything for a couple of months. Coming to grips with the fact that I'll have to make permanent changes to my diet to maintain my target weight is harder to accept.

The good news is that maintaining is still easier and gives you more dietary leeway than loosing!  Just don't slip back into gaining.  One thing I did was let my weight fluctuate within a range without worrying about it. But I set a max for myself and if I ever saw that on the scale I knew it was time to cut back for a couple weeks.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2018, 06:32:10 AM »
I'm in. On Sunday (July 15) I weighed myself at 198. I need to be at 185. I'm aiming to lose 1.5 lbs/week, so I should reach my goal by the middle of September. By the end of July, I want to be at 195. Put me down for 3 lbs. of weight loss this month. I'll try to check back weekly to report my progress.

July 15: 198
July 22: 193

Lost 5 lbs. last week. Didn't expect to lose so much. I ran an average daily calorie deficit of 1,170 calories, which should have resulted in about 2.5 lbs of weight loss. I'm assuming the rest of the weight is water. Anyway, I surpassed my original goal for July, so I'm upping the ante and shooting for 8 lbs of weight loss by the end of the month. Hopefully I'll be at 190 lbs. next time I check in.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2018, 08:35:20 PM »
Bah. I haven't lost an ounce in 12 days. I feel like I've been pretty good about sticking to my diet and I even felt hungry a lot last week, but looking back at my tracking, I only stuck to my goal for 2 of those days. I fell off the workout wagon last week when I wasn't sleeping too. I averaged 1374 calories per day. Google is guessing my expenditure at an average of 2090, and I don't take my phone when I walk my dog. I still think it overestimates my expenditure though.

But, I still feel like I should have a least lost a little bit. Even though I know it goes in bursts and then I level off for a while, but it feels like something should have shifted by now. Discouraging. I worked 10.5 hours today and I said screw it. Ate about 1900.

sallyanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2018, 11:34:55 PM »
Starting 148.2, goal is -8 lb, 140.2
I hit 139.8 on 7.19, so new goal is 137.8 by the end of the month.
I didn't pre plan my meals today, had a crazy busy day, I definitely ate more than I should have (and the wrong foods too). And I haven't exercised since last week, but I can't do it now or I'll be tired at a job interview I have tomorrow. But I'll at least plan tomorrow's meals before I call it a night, and I'll have to somehow make exercise a priority for tomorrow

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2018, 09:50:38 AM »
I'm signing up!

I was 174.2 on 1-July, and my aim is to lose 4lbs.

170.2lbs this morning. Goal unlocked!

My weight tracking app uses a rolling 7 day average, which is currently at 171.9lbs. Stretch goal is to see if I can get the trend line down to 170.2. It's probably ambitions, but why not try?

sallyanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2018, 04:35:21 PM »
I'm signing up!

My weight tracking app uses a rolling 7 day average, which is currently at 171.9lbs. Stretch goal is to see if I can get the trend line down to 170.2. It's probably ambitions, but why not try?
Congrats and good luck!

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2018, 06:19:24 AM »

Lost 5 lbs. last week.

Lots of successes this month!  Congrats you guys!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2018, 07:41:03 AM »
I'm late to the Party.

In for August though =P

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2018, 03:44:13 AM »
Just stepped on the scale and miraculously lost 1 lb, which was measured after breakfast and tons of tea/water so I hope that if I step onto the scale tomorrow I'll win another 1-2 lbs and reach this month's goal.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2018, 05:45:18 AM »
I'm in. On Sunday (July 15) I weighed myself at 198. I need to be at 185. I'm aiming to lose 1.5 lbs/week, so I should reach my goal by the middle of September. By the end of July, I want to be at 195. Put me down for 3 lbs. of weight loss this month. I'll try to check back weekly to report my progress.

Lost 5 lbs. last week. Didn't expect to lose so much. I ran an average daily calorie deficit of 1,170 calories, which should have resulted in about 2.5 lbs of weight loss. I'm assuming the rest of the weight is water. Anyway, I surpassed my original goal for July, so I'm upping the ante and shooting for 8 lbs of weight loss by the end of the month. Hopefully I'll be at 190 lbs. next time I check in.

July 29:188

Looks like I'm losing 5 lbs/week pretty consistently. I guess I'll stay on the diet for one more week and then start upping the calories to hang steady around 185.

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2018, 06:07:02 AM »
July 1 - 126.8
GOAL - 124 (breaking the 125 barrier would be huge)
loss: 2.8

This morning: 122.8, so goal met and 4 down for the month.

This morning ends a 12 week challenge I was doing for myself. I was tracking calories, macros, sugar and fiber.  I don't think I ever really nailed that but it did wildly increase my awareness of how much I was eating.  I knew I ate pretty healthy in that I don't do fast foods or fried things or any red meats, but wow -- when I looked at the numbers it was illuminating. Too much food and still not healthy enough. So that was helpful.

Anyway, I started 12 weeks ago at 134.8 so that's 12 lbs in 12 weeks (it didn't come off evenly like that though!).

I'm going to keep going.  I left a soul crushing job to start a new one in April and around the same time that I wanted my life back, I also wanted my body back.  I started the soul crushing job at 118lbs, so my goal is to get back to that since I used to feel good at that weight.  I also need to get stronger and more fit too like I was then.

So I'll see you in August for more until I hit that goal weight.

Hope folks had a good July loss that they worked towards, and see you in the August challenge!
~ToughMother.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2018, 09:19:24 AM »
Well, I thought it was failure again for another month but I kicked things into gear mid July or so and I have lost 5 lbs and now I am motivated to keep going. I haven't seen this number on the scale in several years so I want to keep the momentum.  I also am loving the fact I don't feel so bloated.  I am being mindful of what I am consuming. I have some bad days but for the most part, I am hanging in there.  It is tough though and find it a struggle but am thinking about my portion sizes and not reaching for food out of stress or boredom.  I have also been wearing my tighter clothes (the ones I can squeeze into) at work so I can keep my goal in mind.  I don't wear tight things at home though because I cant stand the feeling but so far so good.

So, I lost 5lbs in July but am down a total of 10 for the year, 15 or so to go. 1/1 - 165, 7/30 - 155.   I have been walking here and there but want to start adding some light strength training. I am too out of shape.  Losing weight has been a struggle for me but I am slowly getting there.

For those that are having a hard time, the struggle is real, don't give up. Just keeping pushing through.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2018, 10:38:49 AM »
I'm up almost 1 pound this month, but considering mid month I was up 4 pounds, I'll take it. Normally I don't fluctuate this month. Going to have to kick effort up a notch for August!

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2018, 11:04:09 AM »
Thanks Sun Hat!

Well done everyone. So many people dropping weight like crazy. Good job guys!!

Just stepped on the scale and miraculously lost 1 lb, which was measured after breakfast and tons of tea/water so I hope that if I step onto the scale tomorrow I'll win another 1-2 lbs and reach this month's goal.

Stepped on the scale again the next morning and it was literally a 0.2 lbs difference. Oh well haha. I did have a party the night before so consumed some beer and snacks so that's probably where the damage came from. At least the line moves slowly in the right direction.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2018, 09:54:25 PM »
I binged on chocolate tonight and finished the day at 1700 calories. I was at 165 and maintained that for 2 weeks before going to a work happy hour last Tuesday which bounced me up 3 lbs overnight.  Should be water weight but it's been a week and it hasn't budged. This month is gonna be a zero or a gain for me. I'll chime in in the morning with the verdict.

sallyanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2018, 06:27:53 AM »
I didn't pre plan my meals today, had a crazy busy day, I definitely ate more than I should have (and the wrong foods too). And I haven't exercised since last week, but I can't do it now or I'll be tired at a job interview I have tomorrow. But I'll at least plan tomorrow's meals before I call it a night, and I'll have to somehow make exercise a priority for tomorrow
Goal met, ending weight 136.8! Hope for another great month in August, I have quite a bit still to go to my ideal weight

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2018, 06:53:00 AM »
Officially a 1.4 lb loss for July. Just about my max normal day to day fluctuation range.  I've basically been bouncing around the same weight for the past 3 months. Only down 15 for the year. So much for my original 5 lbs a month goal.

I've been thinking about getting one of those bodyfat measuring scales. I'd probably be horrified at first, but I'd feel better about the lack of movement on the scale if I at least felt like I were getting more muscular. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 07:10:25 AM by neophyte »

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2018, 07:07:05 AM »
I lost one pound this month, but like neophyte says, that's just normal variation.

But I didn't try at all.  Going to try harder in August.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2018, 07:40:49 AM »
Final Weight in this morning

Starting weight - 126.2
Ending weight - 124.6

1.6/3 lbs lost

Half way there.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2018, 09:12:44 AM »
I ended up gaining back some of my loss to settle at exactly 1 lb down for the month. Perhaps I need to have a smaller goal next time to stay motivated. July closes at 1/5. At least it's a loss and I will keep working in August.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2018, 09:34:43 AM »
I never found myself a scale to re-weigh but am pretty sure I stayed put or might have edged a bit upward. A gym is opening in the neighborhood, will join when they do and even weight myself :)

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2018, 11:27:36 AM »
187 this morning. Lost 11 lbs. in 14 days. I've stopped tracking my caloric intake this week to see if I can continue losing weight without being quite so meticulous with the record-keeping. If the weight loss stalls out, I'll start tracking again next week until I get below 185.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2018, 12:20:33 PM »
Well, rather than lose any weight I am up 1.2 for the month. I was supposed to hike Mt. Whitney on the 10th, but there was a fire. Then, when I had the chance to go back and use my permit the following week, my original hiking partner couldn't go so I went with someone else at the last minute who got altitude sickness so we couldn't summit. I've been in a major funk since then, but I'm pulling myself out of it and getting back to my regular boot camp class today. I am not going to put a particular goal number on August, but I turn 40 at the end of the month and I'll be focusing on my fitness goals between now and then anyway.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2018, 12:36:59 PM »
I'm signing up!

169.2 this morning. Exactly 5 lbs lost in July. The trend got down to 170.4, which is pretty damn close to 170.2.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2018, 04:33:59 AM »
I'm late to the party, but I'm aiming to lose ~4 lbs by the end of the month. Currently 227.

Weighed in at 223 this morning. :)

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2018, 01:32:02 PM »
Has someone started an August thread yet?

I got some encouragement from my neighbor this morning when she asked my how the diet was going. I mentioned that I haven't lost an ounce in 3 months and she seemed surprised and said I looked slimmer. So idk, maybe I'm at least getting denser. It makes me want to try that bioimpedence scale more now though.

FrugalYCP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2018, 01:38:41 PM »
A late month vacation derailed my momentum. Down 1 lb for the month. Looks like I need to get back at it in August!

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2018, 02:48:31 PM »
I have been looking for an August tread too but haven't found one. Anyone wanna start one?

Kellie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2018, 09:02:25 PM »
I guess I should have stuck with a 6 lb goal because I'm down 5.7 lbs. Now off to the August challenge!

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2018, 07:06:11 AM »
3LBS

a far cry from my initial goal, at least it is in the right direction. Cutting out dairy incase I am lactose slight intolerance. No more whey protein. Most of the weight lost happened over the weekend when I quit taking it.

edit. forgot to add, my weight plateaued this month for the most part. I realized it stalled when I switched from primarily pea protein to whey protein.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:11:42 AM by hoping2retire35 »