Author Topic: July Mustachian Biking Challenge  (Read 8950 times)

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
July Mustachian Biking Challenge
« on: July 03, 2013, 09:32:49 AM »
OK y'all, the new spreadsheet is up here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AirCRkSRGBoOdGd2QnZTRGgxbGdjeDZxS3ItVGJ3MVE&usp=sharing

If you logged any miles at all in the month of June, then you are already included in the July spreadsheet.

There were a few people who were typing their miles into the master summary w/o a personal tab -- I added these for you (squashroll and Lord Cashmoney, IIRC).

Hopefully Yolfer will chime in with a rad recap of the month of June :)

Let me know if anything looks wonky and happy cycling!
Madge

YAR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: July Mustachian Biking Challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 10:56:50 AM »
thanks for creating the new sheets!

Spudd

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 11:07:06 AM »
I added myself! Hope that's OK. :)

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 02:02:25 PM »
no problem, YAR. it's pretty selfish actually -- i really like tracking my miles :)

and spudd, of course! hope to see you logging lots of trips this month, have fun!

ToeInTheWater

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 02:14:03 PM »
yes, thx for getting July going!
b

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 03:39:10 PM »
I'm in for July!  19 miles today to/from work.

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 12:18:44 PM »
Thanks Madgeylou! I'm afraid this month will suck for me bike wise, the reason being six weeks of vacation with two children and no bike trailer. Short bikes with the five year old (three year old in child seat) will be possible though!

Skinnyneo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tsumashiku Kurashii - Living Frugally in Japan
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 04:47:07 PM »
I'm in again!  Us high school teachers are heading into summer vacation so I'll have to be extra motivated to get out and bike.

dweebyhawkeyes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 09:17:18 PM »
So I try to be a super-nice lawful cyclist citizen to attempt to change motorists' animosity toward us. Today I thought I was doing the right thing, but got honked and yelled at and now I'm super confused and a little upset. So here's the deets:

I was at an intersection, behind one car. There were other cars behind me. Anyway, I'm under the impression that an intersection without lights means that one car (or bike, whatever) goes at a time in a clockwise direction. That is, the car to the right of me went, then the car in front of me, and then the car to the right of me, etc. until it gets to my turn. Except the car behind me honks after the car in front of me enters the intersection, and I'm startled and not sure what to do and take my left turn immediately. The same person who honked then yells at me. I stop as soon as I can get to a sidewalk and survey the situation but I just don't get it. There was a cop there but he just kept driving.

Hope I wrote that down somewhat clearly haha. What would you guys have done? I was in a Seattle suburb, by the way.

Spudd

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 07:16:16 AM »
The rule is actually whoever arrives at a 4-way stop first has right of way, and if 2 cars/bikes arrive at the same time, the one to the right has right of way. But, it sounds like it was a really busy intersection and there were cars in all directions, so your interpretation is correct if that's the case.

I think the honker was a freak and just had no idea what to expect from a cyclist. It sounds to me like you behaved properly (except maybe you shouldn't have gone after the honking, but it's human nature, I probably would have done the same thing).

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 09:41:53 AM »
I've been out of town and busy getting my oldest kids ready for sleepaway camp, but starting tomorrow I'll be a 2/3rds empty nester (for 2 weeks) so I'll do the most EXCITED exclamation-point-filled wrapup ever, to make up for my tardiness.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 04:58:47 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, start your leg-engines because it's time for the June Biking Challenge wrap-up!!!!

Out of the 60 participants, 31 logged miles of some sort. How many miles, you ask? How about 4,639 miles!?! That's like biking from New England to the Aleutian Islands!

Our total mileage since the challenges started is 43,940 miles! We've gone too far to compare it to terrestrial distances, so it's time to head out to space. 43,940 miles is about 1/5th of the distance TO THE MOON!!!!

When it comes to preventing CO2 from polluting the atmosphere, we've saved a collective 22 TONS (20 TONNES) of it!!! That's the amount that America's strongest man can pull: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lD8MSCxWsg

BOOYEAH!!!!

PS: So far we've saved $7,700 by not filling our cars with gas. If you invested that much each month and let it compound, you'd have $1.3MM after 10 years, enough for pretty much any of us to retire on.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 05:40:28 PM »
Yay! Yolfer, you're the best :)

Sparafusile

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 05:52:38 PM »
So far this month I haven't driven my clown car at all. 5 Miles each week day to and from the bus stop. 10-20 miles each weekend day just for fun.

I'd add myself to your spreadsheet, but I'm afraid I would forget to update it. I'll mentally root you on however.

Nancy

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 07:13:44 AM »
Awesome wrapup! Let's get to the moon!

ToeInTheWater

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 05:19:55 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen, start your leg-engines because it's time for the June Biking Challenge wrap-up!!!!

PS: So far we've saved $7,700 by not filling our cars with gas. If you invested that much each month and let it compound, you'd have $1.3MM after 10 years, enough for pretty much any of us to retire on.

are we supposed to only log our miles that displace driving?  i logged all my riding, and only part of that was commuting to work, or somewhere else i'd have driven.  most were just for fun

b

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 09:06:10 AM »

are we supposed to only log our miles that displace driving?  i logged all my riding, and only part of that was commuting to work, or somewhere else i'd have driven.  most were just for fun

b

Log all your miles. For me, none of my miles displace driving, because I don't own a car (they displace public transit instead, which saves me money but doesn't result in fewer vehicles on the road). Just take the gas-money-saved figures with a grain of salt...

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 10:36:41 AM »
Question: My bike hasn't left the shed yet this year because when the snow melted I discovered that it had a flat tire. Before I could replace it though my wife picked up a free working long board from a stranger at the Value Village drop off. Since my commute is only 1.1km I've just been using the long board instead. It's also replaced my bike for trips to the library, friends houses and other local errands so I'm probably logging between 50 and 100 km a month on it. Would it be acceptable to log those miles on the spreadsheet or is it two wheeled manual transportation only?

ToeInTheWater

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 11:18:39 AM »
Log all your miles.

thx
b

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 12:44:33 PM »
Question: My bike hasn't left the shed yet this year because when the snow melted I discovered that it had a flat tire. Before I could replace it though my wife picked up a free working long board from a stranger at the Value Village drop off. Since my commute is only 1.1km I've just been using the long board instead. It's also replaced my bike for trips to the library, friends houses and other local errands so I'm probably logging between 50 and 100 km a month on it. Would it be acceptable to log those miles on the spreadsheet or is it two wheeled manual transportation only?

I think it would be great! (Once I saw someone doing the Seattle To Portland bike ride on a longboard)

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 01:11:12 PM »

I think it would be great! (Once I saw someone doing the Seattle To Portland bike ride on a longboard)

That's a long ride! Nearly 300km according to Google.

I added myself to the spreadsheet and I noticed that the monthly total on the first page didn't include the first few riders so I updated it. Not sure if they were excluded intentionally; if so I apologize.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 02:30:58 PM »

That's a long ride! Nearly 300km according to Google.

I added myself to the spreadsheet and I noticed that the monthly total on the first page didn't include the first few riders so I updated it. Not sure if they were excluded intentionally; if so I apologize.

whoops, nope, not intentional at all. thanks very much for fixing it!

NVDee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 01:38:13 PM »
I am in :) 

wing117

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 09:34:32 AM »
Jumped in on this!

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 06:49:40 PM »
I added myself as "mpbaker22"
I wasn't sure about the main sheet.  Should I have just inserted a new row and copied the formulas?  I wasn't sure, so I left it as-is.  Sorry, I've never used google doc's.

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 07:47:19 PM »
I added myself as "mpbaker22"
I wasn't sure about the main sheet.  Should I have just inserted a new row and copied the formulas?  I wasn't sure, so I left it as-is.  Sorry, I've never used google doc's.

No worries. I added you. Welcome to the challenge!

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 06:19:31 AM »
Hit 48 miles this month on the way in to work.  Loved riding by Old Town Alexandria Cross-fit where folks drove their cars to pay to work out!

DougStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 05:07:27 PM »
Just added my miles for the month.  Thanks for setting this up!

So far this month I have driven 291 miles less than I otherwise would have.  123 by bike, and 168 by bus! 

Total savings of 291 * 0.56 - $21 (bus fare) = $141.96

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 06:33:13 PM »
Finished with 98 miles for the month.  Nothing compared to some of you biking machines, but pretty good for my second month riding to work.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 06:42:19 PM »
Finished with 98 miles for the month.  Nothing compared to some of you biking machines, but pretty good for my second month riding to work.

Awesome, Davis! I set a personal record this month, too, and I didn't even ride for like a whole week at the beginning of the month! It feels good :)

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »
I just realized 2 miles bumps me up 2 spots!  It's amazing how the numbers cluster at certain figure.  (I think I'll go spin around the block a few times before midnight ;)

172 for the month.  This was my first month riding my road bike this year.  I've totaled maybe 100-200 on the crap mountain bike for the year.
I took the road bike out for the first spin of the year and did 46 miles.  The rest was multiple 26 mile round-trip commutes with about 20 pounds of gear on back.

wing117

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »
206 miles for the month! Holy crap! The goal for August is 250.  I have no idea how any of the folks above me (306-466 miles!?!?) do it. They're rocking it.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2013, 09:08:32 AM »
I'm shooting for 275 commuting miles in August.  I would shoot higher, but I might take some time off this month.  13 already.

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 09:36:05 AM »
Over 150 miles! That is an all-time high for me, and includes my first "perfect record" biking week. My August goal is 200 - which I will just barely hit if I commute round-trip every day - there will need to be some social events & errands in there to beef up my numbers.

Congrats everyone on a great month!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!