Author Topic: July Cycling Challenge 2017  (Read 3477 times)

jordanread

July Cycling Challenge 2017
« on: July 01, 2017, 04:42:31 PM »
The cycling challenge for July 2017 is up and ready for you to start (or continue) riding!!
If you logged miles last month, and selected "Remember Me" on the form, you have been added to this month's sheet already.
Last month, we had 19 participants logging 3896 miles, for an average of 205 miles each. Join in and help us get even more!!
If you didn't log miles last month, or are a new participant
Click here to fill out the form.
You can access the sheet directly at this link.
I can manually grab your historical data too, so if it's off, just let me know.  If they aren't there within a day, or you have any other issues with the sheet, hit me up via email, Google+ Hangouts, PM, or just comment on this thread.
You can also join the MMM Strava Group for additional metrics and motivation. Happy Biking.

justaguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: July Cycling Challenge 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 07:38:08 AM »
I love the peer pressure Jordanread – thank you for putting this together

jordanread

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 07:54:43 AM »
I love the peer pressure Jordanread – thank you for putting this together

LOL. There are some aspects of it if you take it that way, but in the document itself, you are only ever compared to yourself. Personally, back when I was doing a lot of biking, I fought to stay above the average, but just for fun. This is more mutually supportive than pressuring, but it can be used like that too.

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 08:27:59 AM »
I just joined the challenge by submitting the form. What's next?

I go to the google sheet and manually enter my miles biked each day? Is that right? It seems to be referencing some columns on the spreadsheet that are hidden...didn't know if I should be unhiding those to enter my data.

Also I have strava so I'm going to get started on that too

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 08:32:23 AM »
I LOVE that I now have 3 years worth of biking history stored in these spreadsheets :)
It's really been 3 years since I started this crazy transition towards biking more and driving less. I've learned so much, and what used to seem like so much extra work I can now do faster than finding my car keys!

Many thanks Jordanread!

Welcome Fisherman10, you should have your own sheet titled with your username. The columns are set up based on how you filled in the form. If you are only going to keep track of total bike miles then you can just fill out that column each day, if you want to keep track of recreational and car replacement then you can unhide those columns and enter your miles there instead. They would then be automatically totalled in the total column.

Hope that helps.

jordanread

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 09:11:47 AM »
I just joined the challenge by submitting the form. What's next?

I go to the google sheet and manually enter my miles biked each day? Is that right? It seems to be referencing some columns on the spreadsheet that are hidden...didn't know if I should be unhiding those to enter my data.

Also I have strava so I'm going to get started on that too

KMP2 pretty much nailed it. You should have your own sheet now, and that is what you modify. For you, just put your miles in the E column. There is no need to unhide any columns or sheets.

jordanread

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 09:13:16 AM »
I LOVE that I now have 3 years worth of biking history stored in these spreadsheets :)
It's really been 3 years since I started this crazy transition towards biking more and driving less. I've learned so much, and what used to seem like so much extra work I can now do faster than finding my car keys!

I think adding the personal history was the coolest thing I've done with this document. I'm glad you are enjoying it, and 3 years is freaking awesome!!

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 09:59:59 AM »
awesome thanks for the info!
I think I changed my mind and want to track more stuff. so I should unhide columns B and C?

why do Columns E and F both say "Total Miles"?
Also, as this is the first time looking at the spreadsheet I have a unique perspective to help clear up non-immediately obvious things... My only suggestion would be to maybe color the cells with calculations in light grey so it's more obvious where the input is needed (and maybe highlight the cells or columns that require input in a different color, or just leave white).

jordanread

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 12:16:12 PM »
awesome thanks for the info!
I think I changed my mind and want to track more stuff. so I should unhide columns B and C?
Honestly, I think you can fill in the form one more time with the correct options. I do not think this actually works for more than one replacement, though. It should take your existing sheet, rename it to username_old, hide it, and create a new sheet with the new options.

why do Columns E and F both say "Total Miles"?

That is only for your specific instance. F will always say miles, but E changes based on units of measurement one selects. F is used for all calculations that go back to the summary sheet, and instead of doing the calculation in the background, that column handles the conversion from kilometers. In theory, you should only see one of those visible by default, based on the selections you've made.

Also, as this is the first time looking at the spreadsheet I have a unique perspective to help clear up non-immediately obvious things... My only suggestion would be to maybe color the cells with calculations in light grey so it's more obvious where the input is needed (and maybe highlight the cells or columns that require input in a different color, or just leave white).

That's not a bad idea, but may require a bit more work to implement. Right now, if it's a blank box, you can input. If there is a value (even if it's 0) already populated, it's a formula.

jordanread

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 10:59:42 AM »
Just thought I would share this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUL56vrK75I

I've done it.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 02:08:29 PM »
Just thought I would share this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUL56vrK75I

I've done it.

Yikes! I'm not sure why they didn't thread a stick through the wheel and then have one person on each end raise and flip the bike? In any case, I'm glad they were able to solve the problem in the end.

BTW: Thanks Jordan for continuing to maintain the spreadsheet.

jordanread

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 02:14:16 PM »
Yikes! I'm not sure why they didn't thread a stick through the wheel and then have one person on each end raise and flip the bike? In any case, I'm glad they were able to solve the problem in the end.

BTW: Thanks Jordan for continuing to maintain the spreadsheet.

You're welcome. Here is the real question: Were you able to watch that without giggling?

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 05:15:44 PM »
I've been so lazy about biking to work lately. Tried it last month and broke my chain on the way home. Finally bike commuted again today.

TrMama

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 04:02:10 PM »
I'm rejoining today after having lapsed. I biked in today for the first time in forever. I'd forgotten how much I like biking! Probably helps that it was early enough to be cool and my ride in is mostly downhill. We'll see how positive I still am tonight while I bike uphill in the heat.

Also, I'm sooooo out of shape. Thank goodness bike shorts are stretchy.

jordanread

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 04:09:07 PM »
Folks. I'm stupidly busy. There is a real possibility the next month's sheet will be a day late. There is also a possibility that it will be done by 4AM MT.

TrMama

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 05:28:29 PM »
Folks. I'm stupidly busy. There is a real possibility the next month's sheet will be a day late. There is also a possibility that it will be done by 4AM MT.

Take your time! It's summer. Pretend you're on island time!

jordanread

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 04:15:31 PM »
Yeah, it's going to be tomorrow morning.

jordanread