Author Topic: Increasing bike kms!  (Read 1905 times)

Imma

• Magnum Stache
Increasing bike kms!
« on: January 19, 2018, 08:50:30 AM »
I have bought a shiny new bike that's a million times more comfortable than any bike I've owned before. I live in the city and the bike is my main form of transportation, but for the last couple of months I've cycled less than I used to do. Most of the time I ride because I need to get from A to B rather than for fun.  My guess is that I ride around 3000km a year, most of this commuting to work. I want to slowly increase this. I have a city bike, so I'm thinking of taking the scenic rather than the shortest routes and long rides on Saturdays, rather than doing 100km in one day as fast as I can. My new bike has a cycle computer so I'll be able to track my progress.

Goal for January:  125km (got the bike today)
Goal for February: 250km (this is my average, but Feb. is a shorter month)
Goal for March:     300km (hopefully the weather will be better in spring)

I hope people want to join me in bringing joy back to cycling!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
Re: Increasing bike kms!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 08:05:06 AM »
An update after the first week: 96 km!

Work:                        40 km.
Pleasure:                   25 km (two trips to the countryside)
Other obligations:       31 km.

In the other category are 2 trips that I normally wouldn't have cycled. One I would normally have walked (6km) the other one (10km) is a trip I don't really feel comfortable riding on my own late at night. I found an alternative route that feels safe to me.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 08:28:50 AM »
I'll jump in. After riding quite a few thousand miles a year in 2014-2016 I rode maaaybe 50 last year. Got my old bike fixed up and hooked to my indoor trainer and will slowly increase my ride time on that.

When the weather warms up and I'm not subjecting a bike to salt damage I'll be riding more outside as well, both with my kids and by myself at higher intensity/distance. Will be buying a new bike this week so I have the convenience of a dedicated trainer bike and then a dedicate outdoor always ready to ride bike.

Not sure if I'll track, as I already spend time and mental bandwidth tracking so many other things in my life, but will definitely join.

@Imma there's also the monthly cycling challenge thread if you're not already doing that. I did that when I was riding more in past years.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 08:59:00 AM »
I'll have to look for that thread! I was looking for one but couldn't find it.

I don't really track anything else, except for my NW. This is actually the first time in my life I have a cycle computer and so far I love it.
I went for a short (12km) scenic trip to the countryside today and last Sunday. It's just a habit I need to get back into. If the weather isn't dangerous, there's no excuse to not step on the bike for half an hour to an hour. I always love discovering new backroads and dirt tracks, but I stayed on the paved roads today. We've had heavy rains for the past few weeks and all the dirt tracks are pools of mud now.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 09:17:11 AM »

jordanread

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 01:52:21 PM »
The new month is here, and the new challenge is in my sig. Look forward to seeing you there!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 02:26:14 PM »
Thanks! That is one thorough challenge!

jordanread

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 02:49:38 PM »
Thanks! That is one thorough challenge!

That's because I enjoy it. And it's evolved, since...

[...] for years now.

I have details and history going back to 2014. It's been good, and about to go through some major changes.