Author Topic: January Cycling Challenge 2015  (Read 65379 times)

jordanread

Re: January Cycling Challenge 2015
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2015, 08:52:36 PM »
Nice work on the education jordan. :) You earned the mantle of Bicycle Advocate today.
That means a whole lot. Thank you.

mtbiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Cyclesomatic
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2015, 09:07:04 PM »
Good Evening Everyone,
  I met Jordan this morning on our wonderfully snowy and windless ride to work, and he turned me onto this challenge so I signed up tonight.

From reading the posts, seems like a good group of riders and I look forward to hanging with you all talking bikes and discussing the poor car commuters that we pass every day while riding our bikes as we smile all the way to work!

jordanread

« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2015, 09:20:05 PM »
Good Evening Everyone,
  I met Jordan this morning on our wonderfully snowy and windless ride to work, and he turned me onto this challenge so I signed up tonight.

From reading the posts, seems like a good group of riders and I look forward to hanging with you all talking bikes and discussing the poor car commuters that we pass every day while riding our bikes as we smile all the way to work!
Glad to have you! Maybe I'll catch you tomorrow too. Regardless, feel free to hit me up via pm here. There is a lot more going on around here.

mtbiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Cyclesomatic
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2015, 08:04:27 AM »
Well Jordan, I think I just missed you this morning.  I saw some fresh tracks so I was wondering if that was you and, I also saw some fresh track on the Dirt Jumps up by the skate park.    Was that you have some fun?   Looked like someone had gotten off the trail, hit the dirt jumps and did a lap on them, then the tracks came out the other end.    Dirt Jumps in the snow.  I would say that's badassity. :)

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:06:47 AM by mtbiker »

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2015, 08:35:23 AM »
Yesterday I had a head-on collision with an SUV (no injuries to self or bike) *and* my 5-year-old front shifter cable gave up the ghost leaving me stuck in the spinny gears. But I still got in 15.6 miles, according to my phone app! So I am feeling reasonably badass.

(Bike is going to have a day or two off at the Bike Doctor, leaving me to walk and take the bus/subway like some kind of animal.)

jordanread

« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2015, 08:43:06 AM »
Well Jordan, I think I just missed you this morning.  I saw some fresh tracks so I was wondering if that was you and, I also saw some fresh track on the Dirt Jumps up by the skate park.    Was that you have some fun?   Looked like someone had gotten off the trail, hit the dirt jumps and did a lap on them, then the tracks came out the other end.    Dirt Jumps in the snow.  I would say that's badassity. :)

Ha! I did take those jumps in the snow once, just to see how secure my new pannier was. Alas, those were not my tracks this morning. On Monday, I moved my bike into my office at home. I'm still learning the quirks of it, though. I set my shoes too close to the bike and some of the snow that fell off went right into my cycling shoes. They were soaking wet this morning, and I'm still waiting for them to dry before I head in. At some point later this year, I might get some dual platform SPD pedals so I'm not dependent on my single pair of shoes to bike.

Yesterday I had a head-on collision with an SUV (no injuries to self or bike) *and* my 5-year-old front shifter cable gave up the ghost leaving me stuck in the spinny gears. But I still got in 15.6 miles, according to my phone app! So I am feeling reasonably badass.

(Bike is going to have a day or two off at the Bike Doctor, leaving me to walk and take the bus/subway like some kind of animal.)

Sorry for the accident and the bike troubles, but yes...15.6 miles in spinny gears (great term btw) is badass.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2015, 10:08:58 AM »
My gear breakdown (been used successfully to -7°F...and I'll probably give them a shot down to -20°F):

Do you then change out of all this gear when you get to work? Are the shoes for riding only?

I'm still trying to grasp the bicycle concept and I am probably making it too complicated. I work in a very large factory and there are not any areas to really change. Now my ride would only be 2 miles so maybe I could get by on less? I typically wear Harley boots, carpenter jeans, and a tshirt to work. Boots are not exactly bicycle friendly but do work perfect on the harley. I don't even like riding my harley in the rain because road surface conditions worry me and now I am thinking a bicycle in snow....smh

jordanread

« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2015, 10:33:44 AM »
My gear breakdown (been used successfully to -7°F...and I'll probably give them a shot down to -20°F):

Do you then change out of all this gear when you get to work? Are the shoes for riding only?

I'm still trying to grasp the bicycle concept and I am probably making it too complicated. I work in a very large factory and there are not any areas to really change. Now my ride would only be 2 miles so maybe I could get by on less? I typically wear Harley boots, carpenter jeans, and a tshirt to work. Boots are not exactly bicycle friendly but do work perfect on the harley. I don't even like riding my harley in the rain because road surface conditions worry me and now I am thinking a bicycle in snow....smh

The shoes are for riding only, which I really dislike. It's actually why I put off getting them for so long. My problem is that I only wear minimalist shoes (when I do wear shoes), so I wouldn't even bother with the hybrid bike shoes, which would have made life a bit easier. The only thing I do when I get to work is take off the jersey and the bike shorts, but I keep on the base layer. I only wind up carrying an extra shirt, since I wear my regular pants over everything else, and my shoes. It doesn't take that long. As far as boots go, you'll be fine. You may want to ask thegoblinchief about his traction pins. I know he rides with boots during the winter too. Personally, I have some issues with flexibility when I wear jeans, but if yours are a touch baggy, you might be good. The base layers and jersey are only to have a wicking fabric close to the skin. Makes a huge difference. I don't even need to shower when I get to work. Just wait until you are dry (about 15 minutes) and then change, maybe reapply deodorant.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:59:30 PM by jordanread »

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2015, 10:41:48 AM »
Cool story. I need to get a go-pro one of these days. However my bike budget was blown this month with new panniers (the strap broke on my old ones).

Modify to add:
It's stuff like this or the accident I was in earlier that makes me wish I had one. I posted this on the spreadsheet, but not here - I saw someone commuting on one of these the other day.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 10:43:27 AM by Wolf_Stache »

jordanread

« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2015, 10:56:10 AM »
Cool story. I need to get a go-pro one of these days. However my bike budget was blown this month with new panniers (the strap broke on my old ones).

Modify to add:
It's stuff like this or the accident I was in earlier that makes me wish I had one. I posted this on the spreadsheet, but not here - I saw someone commuting on one of these the other day.

I saw that in the spreadsheet. I'm still not sure how I feel about it though. One of the great things about the GoPro is all the different mounts and what not. I picked up about $150 worth of mounts in a package deal that REI had over memorial day (I think). Keep an eye out for sales and be patient. They are pricey normally.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2015, 10:59:52 AM »

For me, in winter, I just wear my regular clothes with extra layers. I'm a woman and I work in an office environment, so my clothes are going to be different from yours but, fwiw, here's what I wore to work today (no snow, ~15F and breezy, 4 miles each way):

Things I'll keep wearing all day indoors:
  • short sleeve base layer t-shirt
  • short wool short-sleeve dress
  • sweater tights
  • lightweight wool cardigan

Things I took off once I got to my desk:
  • gore-tex shell jacket (from the L.L. Bean outlet, this is a fairly pricey piece but I wear it three seasons)
  • wind-blocking polyester hat (too warm, wish I'd just worn a headband under my helmet)
  • scarf (I prefer a neck gaiter but I couldn't find mine this morning)
  • gore-tex rain/wind pants (North Face, a gift from my mom, probably better to get something cheaper)
  • two pairs of wool socks
  • snow boots (I keep shoes at my desk and change into them at work)
  • gloves or mitts

If it's colder I'll substitute a puffy jacket (down or down substitute) for the cardigan and add an additional layer for my legs (trousers or more long johns). And sometimes I ride in my wool peacoat, like if I'm going someplace a little fancier.

In general I find I need to dress a little warmer for biking than I do for walking, but significantly less warm than you would for motorcycling, because you work up more of a sweat. Don't let a lack of gear hold you back! The gear is just about fine-tuning, it's not a *requirement*. Especially for a two-mile ride, you don't even really need to work up a sweat for that (well maybe in summer).

TrMama

« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2015, 12:06:06 PM »
I set my shoes too close to the bike and some of the snow that fell off went right into my cycling shoes. They were soaking wet this morning, and I'm still waiting for them to dry before I head in. At some point later this year, I might get some dual platform SPD pedals so I'm not dependent on my single pair of shoes to bike.

I've been known to ride short-ish distances with running shoes on my SPD pedals. They work just like flat pedals, just not as comfortable for long distances ;-)

TrMama

« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2015, 12:09:02 PM »

For a 2 mi commute, you really don't need much gear beyond a helmet. I wouldn't bother with anything other than flat pedals and ordinary clothes. Your work boots will be fine  and they probably have a nice stiff sole that will work well for biking. You may want to bring a change of pants in case the ones you wear to ride get wet on the way.

maxap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2015, 05:44:31 AM »
Hello guys,
Just joined the challenge. Might get me out there more often. Heading out tomorrow for 80-90 hilly km with friends. Happy riding.
Maxap

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2015, 06:07:18 AM »
Hello guys,
Just joined the challenge. Might get me out there more often. Heading out tomorrow for 80-90 hilly km with friends. Happy riding.
Maxap

That sounds fun! Welcome!

jordanread

« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2015, 06:18:25 AM »
Man, today was a mixed bag. I don't know if I didn't sleep well, or the working from home yesterday, or the squats and T25 total body circuit, or alcohol withdrawals or whatever, but my body forgot how to ride this morning. I couldn't keep my cadence, and it felt like so much resistance that I checked every couple of minutes if my tire was flat. Slow, painful, and long feeling ride. Hopefully the ride home will be better. It should be, since it's supposed to be 50°F, which will be nice. On the other side of things, we are less than halfway through the month, and I broke my personal best about halfway in today!! Which says two things to me:

• I am getting way better at consistently riding in.
  • I really sucked in previous months.

Glad to have all the new people joining in. Happy Cycling!

Roadhog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2015, 06:47:05 AM »
My total mileage doesn't appear to be registering on the spreadsheet. Not sure if I'm entering it wrong.

Love the motivation. I've never commuted by bike in January and already I've done it 3 times so far this month.  Love hearing the stories of biking in snow and ice. 

jordanread

« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2015, 06:57:07 AM »
My total mileage doesn't appear to be registering on the spreadsheet. Not sure if I'm entering it wrong.

Love the motivation. I've never commuted by bike in January and already I've done it 3 times so far this month.  Love hearing the stories of biking in snow and ice.

I've got you fixed.

Just so everyone is aware, and I'll send out some PMs later, do not manually modify the Summary sheet. To log your miles, use the sheet with your name on it, and everything else will be calculated automatically.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2015, 07:13:31 AM »
It's really cool reading about people here doing Beachbody workouts (T25,Insanity,others). I am a coach (I really stink at coaching but I try) and I do Body Beast currently.

jordanread

« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2015, 07:29:30 AM »
It's really cool reading about people here doing Beachbody workouts (T25,Insanity,others). I am a coach (I really stink at coaching but I try) and I do Body Beast currently.

I don't actually do the programs, I just randomly pick a workout out of my library for my GF and I to do together. She made her own plan, which is a mix of Insanity, P90X, Slim In 6, Butt Bible, and a couple of other ones. We usually do either Les Mills, Insanity, or T25 in the evenings. Keeps things interesting. :-)

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2015, 07:44:13 AM »
Bike is in the shop getting new cables, brake pads, chain, and cassette (first time I've replaced anything but brake pads and tires/tubes since I bought the bike five-plus years ago), but I was able to ride one of this noble steed from the subway to work:

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2015, 07:50:53 AM »
Alright - first bike of 2015 was today...

A bunch of news before Christmas, and I moved offices again... this time only 2k from the house... which is good and bad... I have a whole extra hour to my day! But I have been walking until my underground bike parkade access is granted. And after all that work the last couple of months figuring out what clothes work best for 60 minutes @ -20C... (0F), now I have to figure out how to stay warm in my work clothes for 10 minutes or so while not working myself into a sweaty mess for the day. Today was fairly good, but it was a nice warm morning just below freezing.

On the other hand, I really have no excuse not to bike every day :)
But I will no longer be racking up any miles :(
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 05:04:09 PM by Kmp2 »

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2015, 10:35:34 AM »
I was going over the train tracks near my work today when I hear a crunch and feel resistance on my rear wheel. Stop and pull my bike up on to the sidewalk.... my seat-posted mounted rack support beam SNAPPED IN HALF! I didn't even use my panniers today - my lunch and kindle were just bungie corded to the rack.

That rack served me well for almost 10 years... sigh. Guess I'll need to buy a new rack this month in addition to the new panniers.

jordanread

« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2015, 03:10:19 PM »
Alright - first bike of 2015 was today...

A bunch of news before Christmas, and I moved offices again... this time only 2k from the house... which is good and bad... I have a hole extra hour to my day! But I have been walking until my underground bike parkade access is granted. And after all that work the last couple of months figuring out what clothes work best for 60 minutes @ -20C... (0F), now I have to figure out how to stay warm in my work clothes for 10 minutes or so while not working myself into a sweaty mess for the day. Today was fairly good, but it was a nice warm morning just below freezing.

On the other hand, I really have no excuse not to bike every day :)
But I will no longer be racking up any miles :(

The SO and I are moving at some point this year, and one of the spots we're looking at is only 3 miles from work...I hesitate, because then I would have to do things to keep my miles up. :-) Congrats on the 'upgraded ride' though!! I would love to hear a story about going in straight up dressed up for work in super cold temps. People would really freak out. Also, a pic like the last one, but with a business casual look would totally qualify as badass!

I was going over the train tracks near my work today when I hear a crunch and feel resistance on my rear wheel. Stop and pull my bike up on to the sidewalk.... my seat-posted mounted rack support beam SNAPPED IN HALF! I didn't even use my panniers today - my lunch and kindle were just bungie corded to the rack.

That rack served me well for almost 10 years... sigh. Guess I'll need to buy a new rack this month in addition to the new panniers.

10 years is pretty damn good. I have no interest in getting a racing or road bike (which is why I refuse to try them :P), but I don't envy not having a rack. I think that increases your badassity quotient by at least 1.3. There are a few things I would really like to buy, but I'm waiting since I spent a ridiculous amount on gear in the past 2 months. What panniers are you getting? Oh, and I'm sure others would be interested in the rack you get.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2015, 03:27:33 PM »
Not sure what rack I'm getting, but these are the panniers:

https://clarijs-fietstassen.nl/en/clarijs-balls-bicycle-pannier-morocco-blue

There is a dutch bike co in Ballard that carries them. I picked it up on Sunday. A bit of a splurge, but my last one was too small, so several times I had to bus in because of packages I needed to mail or things I had to take to/from office.

jordanread

« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2015, 03:47:16 PM »
Not sure what rack I'm getting, but these are the panniers:

https://clarijs-fietstassen.nl/en/clarijs-balls-bicycle-pannier-morocco-blue

There is a dutch bike co in Ballard that carries them. I picked it up on Sunday. A bit of a splurge, but my last one was too small, so several times I had to bus in because of packages I needed to mail or things I had to take to/from office.

That is definitely a unique design. I like it!! As far it being a bit of a splurge:
Phfttt (or whatever way you spell that sound). Not nearly as pricey as you could have done. I bought an Arkel Commuter. On sale, that one pannier cost me $150. Apparently they don't make it anymore (which hopefully means they spent so much money on it's awesomeness that it wasn't worth carrying...especially w/ the lifetime guarantee), but the replacement is similar: Arkel Commuter urban pannier.

jordanread

« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2015, 04:26:55 PM »
I had to add this. I apologize in advance if you get all weird about it, mostly because I feel sorry for you. I've recently expanded the threads I look at, and while reading thegoblinchief's journal, I found this wonderful person, who made some awesome posts. Following the links in said person's signature, I found some really awesome articles, which everyone should appreciate (at least everyone in this thread). But mostly, I found this awesome breakdown on why it's better to rob a bank by bike than by car. It made me giggle, and I hope it does the same for you (although I will happily accept LOLs, spitting beverages, chortling, snickering, a shit-eating grin, or a hiccup giggle)-if your response is not one of these...I will accept anything else, too:

Why Bank Robbers Should Use Bicycles Instead of Getaway Cars

Quote from: whoever wrote the above linked article
Unfortunately, our society sends the message that cars are much more useful than bicycles to all members of society, both those involved in lawful activities and those involved in unlawful activities. There are many groups who make the effort to teach those involved in lawful activities that they should be riding bicycles, but no effort is made at all to encourage those who engage in unlawful activities. (NOTE: I am not referring to violating the traffic code, which could get a criminal into unnecessary trouble.) But don't those involved in crime need aerobic exercise as much as does the general public? Couldn't they benefit from the other advantages of a bicycle? Wouldn't it be safer for the public if their crimes were committed using bicycles rather than using cars? Therefore, the following recommendations have been advanced.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2015, 05:48:24 PM »
I had to add this. I apologize in advance if you get all weird about it, mostly because I feel sorry for you. I've recently expanded the threads I look at, and while reading thegoblinchief's journal, I found this wonderful person, who made some awesome posts. Following the links in said person's signature, I found some really awesome articles, which everyone should appreciate (at least everyone in this thread). But mostly, I found this awesome breakdown on why it's better to rob a bank by bike than by car. It made me giggle, and I hope it does the same for you (although I will happily accept LOLs, spitting beverages, chortling, snickering, a shit-eating grin, or a hiccup giggle)-if your response is not one of these...I will accept anything else, too:

Unfortunately, our society sends the message that cars are much more useful than bicycles to all members of society, both those involved in lawful activities and those involved in unlawful activities. There are many groups who make the effort to teach those involved in lawful activities that they should be riding bicycles, but no effort is made at all to encourage those who engage in unlawful activities. (NOTE: I am not referring to violating the traffic code, which could get a criminal into unnecessary trouble.) But don't those involved in crime need aerobic exercise as much as does the general public? Couldn't they benefit from the other advantages of a bicycle? Wouldn't it be safer for the public if their crimes were committed using bicycles rather than using cars? Therefore, the following recommendations have been advanced.
Hhahahaha this is great
I especially enjoyed this part (in the context of abandoning your vehicle to run on foot): " You do, however, need to be sure that your bike shoes do not have cleats on the bottom that would interfere with running"
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 05:50:33 PM by johnny847 »

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: January 16, 2015, 06:17:30 AM »
So those of you that ride in the snow regions what do you ride or what is preferred? I currently have a road bike (Schwinn Prelude/cheap) and that works great on the nicely paved trails. It needs tubes and tires upgrades do handle these other routes they call roads here. I am looking at thorn proofs and duraskin gator tires. Blown 4 tubes so far and getting frustrated trying to ride the road bike on the actual roads. I do have a cheap Schwinn mountain bike but it needs some adjustments, possible it's too small for me because it feels odd when I'm riding it. It was a craigslist cheapo purchase. Lot of snow and ice here in Iowa with narrow roads.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2015, 07:05:56 AM »
Thank you Jordanread for keeping this challenge updated every month. I've been doing the challenge for two years now and hope to continue and have a goal to be in the 1000 mile club at the end of 2015. Today was my first day back on the bike  as DH had some surgery and have been playing Nurse CrazyJane. It felt sooooo great to be back in the saddle. Happy cycling 2015 everyone.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2015, 07:52:52 AM »
So those of you that ride in the snow regions what do you ride or what is preferred? I currently have a road bike (Schwinn Prelude/cheap) and that works great on the nicely paved trails. It needs tubes and tires upgrades do handle these other routes they call roads here. I am looking at thorn proofs and duraskin gator tires. Blown 4 tubes so far and getting frustrated trying to ride the road bike on the actual roads. I do have a cheap Schwinn mountain bike but it needs some adjustments, possible it's too small for me because it feels odd when I'm riding it. It was a craigslist cheapo purchase. Lot of snow and ice here in Iowa with narrow roads.

I find puncture-resistant tires to be worth it - I had no punctures in 5 years with my Bontrager (Trek house brand) puncture resistant tires and when rubber started to decay I went for Gatorskins. I commute 8 miles roundtrip in the Boston area, a land rich in potholes and broken glass. I did buy a pair of inexpensive touring tires (with more tread - the Gatorskins are a bit slick now that the snow's coming on a regular basis) but I haven't been able to rustle up the energy to switch them out yet, so I can't compare. We haven't had a lot of accumulating snow yet and the streets I travel are well-plowed and salted... if I have to ride through more than a half-inch or so, I'm going to bit the bullet and change the tires.

(Oh, and this is on a Trek 7.3FX, standard fitness/commuter hybrid.)

Nancy

« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2015, 08:17:23 AM »
chortling

Hilarious! That was a fantastic bit of silliness. Love this part:

Although never mentioned in the police reports, bank robbers have health problems caused by the high stress of the crime.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2015, 08:57:20 AM »
So the road bike with proper tires and tubes would be ok? I want to try riding tomorrow morning. I am working overtime and do not have to worry about picking kid up so I could test some times and try a route to get to the school. I will hopefully get the tube swapped out tonight. It's not a puncture proof but hopefully it will hold up until I do get one. The bike is light enough I can carry it if needed.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2015, 09:20:29 AM »
So the road bike with proper tires and tubes would be ok? I want to try riding tomorrow morning. I am working overtime and do not have to worry about picking kid up so I could test some times and try a route to get to the school. I will hopefully get the tube swapped out tonight. It's not a puncture proof but hopefully it will hold up until I do get one. The bike is light enough I can carry it if needed.

I say give it a try! I see people commuting on all kinds of bikes (snow and potholes aside, my community is very bike-friendly, and parking and traffic are terrible enough to make biking very attractive). I've also heard a lot of people say very dogmatic things like "If you're SERIOUS about winter bike commuting, you need X", where X is pogies, or long underwear, or special tires, or a single-speed cross bike. But clearly different things work for different people (and different commutes - a bike that works for a flat four-mile commute might not work for a 15-mile hilly one).

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2015, 11:43:07 AM »

OMG, that was hilarious. Love it! LOL

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2015, 08:31:36 PM »
Nothing went as planned tonight so the bike didn't get fixed. I'll shoot for next weekend now.

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2015, 08:40:39 PM »
@jordanread - Thanks for directing me to the cycling challenge!  You actually inspired me to get off the couch and go for a ride today - low 40s and windy but the sun was out!  I only did 11 miles but it was great, though my fingers and toes were almost numb at the end.

What's sad is I can't remember the last time I rode. Last summer, probably. After that my time was consumed by marathon training and overtime at work. No more excuses this year - I definitely want to ride more! I'm not sure if I have an exact goal, I'll have to see how it goes.

At the moment my office is 25 miles away from my home. It sucks in the car, fun DC traffic. I did the whole thing on my bike once last year when I was feeling particularly bad ass. It was epic and I was in a fantastic mood all day. But it also took about 2.5 hours one way, lots of momentum-killing street crossings on the trails. So...great if I had nothing else to do that day!  Today, it occurred to me that I could probably ride my bike the 5 miles to the metro, ride it a ways, then either take a bus or ride the rest of the way to my office. I need to look into this option more!!  I can't believe I didn't think about this sooner, considering how miserable the commute makes me. 

I'm not sure I'm bad ass enough yet to make it a regular habit during below freezing temps and dark mornings, though. Excuses, I know!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2015, 06:24:23 AM »
Today, it occurred to me that I could probably ride my bike the 5 miles to the metro, ride it a ways, then either take a bus or ride the rest of the way to my office. I need to look into this option more!!  I can't believe I didn't think about this sooner, considering how miserable the commute makes me. 
Ah yes. The hybrid commute! Always a great option - it opens up so many doors. But, knowing the DC metro, you may not save all that much money. Which still seems okay since you're saying the commute is miserable by car.
There really isn't much of a point to my comment I guess. I just like to rant about the DC metro prices - I mean, "peak of peak" hours? Really??

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2015, 07:41:09 AM »
Today, it occurred to me that I could probably ride my bike the 5 miles to the metro, ride it a ways, then either take a bus or ride the rest of the way to my office. I need to look into this option more!!  I can't believe I didn't think about this sooner, considering how miserable the commute makes me. 
Ah yes. The hybrid commute! Always a great option - it opens up so many doors. But, knowing the DC metro, you may not save all that much money. Which still seems okay since you're saying the commute is miserable by car.
There really isn't much of a point to my comment I guess. I just like to rant about the DC metro prices - I mean, "peak of peak" hours? Really??

Yep!  It certainly is anger inducing sometimes, but less so than rush hour. I need to crunch the numbers. But you're right, even if it wouldn't save me much it might be worth the mental and physical benefits alone.

jordanread

« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2015, 03:52:00 PM »
@jordanread - Thanks for directing me to the cycling challenge!  You actually inspired me to get off the couch and go for a ride today - low 40s and windy but the sun was out!  I only did 11 miles but it was great, though my fingers and toes were almost numb at the end.

Glad you found it, and glad you are joining in. With this one, we actually have a tracking spreadsheet, so it's more of just logging your miles, comparing to everything else, sharing badassity, and the like. Check out the very first post in this thread for instructions. You'll get added, and be able to modify your sheet and check out your contributions. Just wait until you see our 'all time' stats. The amount of driving we've prevented is amazing.

Yep!  It certainly is anger inducing sometimes, but less so than rush hour. I need to crunch the numbers. But you're right, even if it wouldn't save me much it might be worth the mental and physical benefits alone.

If you are familiar with the YMOYL real hourly rate, I've found something interesting in my particular view of things. If I drive in, my real hourly rate goes down, since I continue work to start the moment I get in the car. However, I have so much fun on my bike ride, that I don't consider it part of work. It's just something super fun and healthy to do before work, that has the added benefit of getting me there.

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2015, 10:17:13 AM »
Read thru all of November, December & January's Cycling threads... You guys are amazing! Oh wait, I mean, badass! :-)

Currently, I'm trying to overcome my fears & work up the nerve (plus fitness!) to begin bike commuting.

1-- it's DARK at 4:45 AM.  So I got 2 headlights & several blinky taillights & some reflective gear.

2-- it's COLD in Colorado at the early/late hours I'd have to ride (I typically work 12-hour days.) With pointers from earlier posts, I think I have my clothes dialed in.  Just need face coverage & I should be okay.

3-- the DISTANCE is 26 miles RT.  Not sure I can do all that just yet, need to work up my fitness for it. Can't ride halfway to work & decide I'm too tired to make it the rest of the way.  I'm considering for  the early 5 AM ride to take the Bus part way.  But then bike the full distance home at night.  Bus fare cuts into $ savings, but may be a way to get me started.

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2015, 10:26:28 AM »
So as I'm pondering joining up, a few questions:

1-- Do only the miles commuting to work count?  Or do the miles on my bike for errands (grocery store, library, etc) add up too?  Also, do we count up weekend fun/ fitness miles?

2-- Is there a minimum # of miles needed to join?  I'm just getting started with biking (I'm more of a runner!) & it may look lame or pull down some stats if I toss in my low, beginner's miles!

3-- Where/ how do we enter our miles?  Once we fill out the form, do we get a separate place for logging miles? Or do we input them right onto that main page?   Also, do we wait & tally up at the end of the month or log miles onto a form as we go?

Sorry for the silly questions!  As I said, I'm trying to work up the nerve to do this & you seem like a pretty supportive group!

Thanks!!

jordanread

« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2015, 10:31:50 AM »
So as I'm pondering joining up, a few questions:

1-- Do only the miles commuting to work count?  Or do the miles on my bike for errands (grocery store, library, etc) add up too?  Also, do we count up weekend fun/ fitness miles?

2-- Is there a minimum # of miles needed to join?  I'm just getting started with biking (I'm more of a runner!) & it may look lame or pull down some stats if I toss in my low, beginner's miles!

3-- Where/ how do we enter our miles?  Once we fill out the form, do we get a separate place for logging miles? Or do we input them right onto that main page?   Also, do we wait & tally up at the end of the month or log miles onto a form as we go?

Sorry for the silly questions!  As I said, I'm trying to work up the nerve to do this & you seem like a pretty supportive group!

Thanks!!
I'll answer more in depth from a computer, but look at spreadsheet. You don't need to fill out the firm but take a look at people's sheets and see what they are doing. I track all my miles, but on my sheet I differentiate between fun rides and rides replacing car miles.

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2015, 11:27:56 AM »

I'll answer more in depth from a computer, but look at spreadsheet. You don't need to fill out the firm but take a look at people's sheets and see what they are doing. I track all my miles, but on my sheet I differentiate between fun rides and rides replacing car miles.

Oh my gosh... now I'm embarrassed.  I only looked at the main (cumulative) page.  I should've poked around a bit more, would've seen the individual sheets.  Doh!! 

Thanks.  :blush:

jordanread

« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2015, 11:31:58 AM »
Any and all miles on the bike count. You have the option of separating those out on your sheet if you like (options in form). Since one of the aspects of biking is saving money by not driving, I know that some people add in their walking miles when they go to the store. It's whatever you feel comfortable adding.

No. Feel free to join in. For me, until I really started making this a habit, I would always try to hit the average for everybody, but all of the stats here are just for fun, and you should feel like it's only from a motivational place (and a place to gloat when you set new personal records).

I think you got this part figured out.

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2015, 11:40:05 AM »

Haha!  Think I'm getting there!  Thanks for your help & patience.
Filled out the sign-up form, getting the next load of laundry going... then heading out into the sunny headwinds outdoors to earn a few biking miles now!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2015, 12:38:49 PM »

Gatorskins are great and pretty reasonably priced online. Not so much at the LBS if you prefer to shop locally. Gatorskins would not work (for me) in winter because of my climate and the road conditions I ride in.

I have an aluminum hybrid (Trek FX 7500) that I picked up last year used (was 10 years old at the time). I personally like aluminum because there's less worry about frame corrosion. Some people say aluminum frames are stiffer/more jarring but I find mine more comfortable than the steel bike it replaced, so YMMV.

Some don't bother with fenders because they're worried about snow plugging up, but for me fenders are a must, especially in winter. Last winter I didn't have fenders yet and constantly had a huge salt/road crap stripe up my back any time the roads were wet. Just nasty, even with waterproof gear.

But I'm all about making the bike you have work before getting a whole new bike. I rode my suboptimal bike for six months before getting a new one, because then I knew a lot more about what I wanted in a bike, and learned that the one I'd had was actually the wrong size and was contributing to some pain no matter how I adjusted it.

jordanread

« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2015, 05:02:50 PM »

Haha!  Think I'm getting there!  Thanks for your help & patience.
Filled out the sign-up form, getting the next load of laundry going... then heading out into the sunny headwinds outdoors to earn a few biking miles now!

Okay, for some reason your sheet didn't get added, even though you properly filled out the form. This is an intermittent issue, but I got you added! Now log those 15 miles!!

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #148 on: January 18, 2015, 05:11:39 PM »
Thanks, jordanread.  I think I got my miles on there.  Man, these gauntlets your throwing down have to keep you busy!

Cross-posted from "Strength & Fitness" challenge:

Almost cut my Run short today... Glad I set some resolutions on here & have this group to report back to!  Was enough incentive to kick my butt into finishing.

It was a gorgeous, but windy day out.  DH & I headed out on our bikes together (biking is pretty new for us.)  Can't believe we rode 15 miles!!! 

We stopped at the 11 mile mark to share a pint of local micro-brew beer out on the sunny patio. Sweet! Cheating, I know, but still am astounded I rode 15 miles in that crazy wind!

My little Black Lab recognizes "workout clothes" & was losing her mind when we got home.  So I took off my bike helmut & put on a running cap & headed right back outside. 
WTH?!?!  My legs wouldn't work right.  My gait was all wonky.  I was trying to run, but I'm pretty sure it looked more like a *Monty Python silly-walk* 

Don't know how triathletes do "brick" workouts.  Oh well, managed to run 2.25 miles. 
Now I'm starving!!

jordanread

« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2015, 05:40:17 PM »
Thanks, jordanread.  I think I got my miles on there.  Man, these gauntlets your throwing down have to keep you busy!

Yup, you did it right. And these gauntlets take a little bit of time, but when I'm running them, I always make the success of the gauntlet itself a goal, as well as what the gauntlet is. It keeps me on track, keeps me from spending extra spare time doing worthless stuff, and (from the feedback I've received) are highly valued by the participants. It's a win-win-win all around. I almost feel sorry for the forums when I catch FIRE, and am at home base, with a bit more time on my hands (granted, that will only be ~ half the year). I've got 4.5 more years until I really need to worry about that.