Author Topic: Intermediate Strength  (Read 47854 times)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
Re: Intermediate Strength
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2015, 05:03:47 PM »
The very thought of consuming the amount of calories talked about here makes me feel much better about the approach I am taking to overall fitness achievement. 6000 calories...my god...really? Now that I think about it, I can probably think of several guys in my local gym who must be doing this. They ARE strong...but they also look FAT. I'm not interested at all in the fat part...even if it means I will never lift impressive weights over my head. ;)
You can't even tell my friend has gained any fat now that he's done his bulk and a cut afterwards, in just under 5 months he's gained 28lbs of lean body mass and 12lbs of fat, you can tell he's gained muscle, but you can't tell he's fatter

Cool. I'm not trying to judge anyone...the bulk and cut method undoubtedly works for many. I was borderline obese for about 7 years prior to pulling the FIRE ripcord. I DETESTED this fact. Still do. Having lost a ton of weight (close to 60 pounds total, added about 8 pounds of muscle since) I simply cannot bring myself to bulk up (if this means adding significant bodyfat)...I like being lean (wife likes it too). So much so that I'm fine holding back muscle growth progress. I know this is an OVERREACTION to being overweight for so long...but this is where I'm coming from.

The bulk and cut strategy also sounds like it might not be the healthiest thing ever...is there any research out on this?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 05:26:55 PM by Jon_Snow »

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
The very thought of consuming the amount of calories talked about here makes me feel much better about the approach I am taking to overall fitness achievement. 6000 calories...my god...really? Now that I think about it, I can probably think of several guys in my local gym who must be doing this. They ARE strong...but they also look FAT. I'm not interested at all in the fat part...even if it means I will never lift impressive weights over my head. ;)
You can't even tell my friend has gained any fat now that he's done his bulk and a cut afterwards, in just under 5 months he's gained 28lbs of lean body mass and 12lbs of fat, you can tell he's gained muscle, but you can't tell he's fatter
Cool. I'm not trying to judge anyone...the bulk and cut method undoubtedly works for many. I was borderline obese for about 7 years prior to pulling the FIRE ripcord. I DETESTED this fact. Still do. Having lost a ton of weight (close to 60 pounds total, added about 8 pounds of muscle since) I simply cannot bring myself to bulk up (if this means adding significant bodyfat)...I like being lean (wife likes it too). So much so that I'm fine holding back muscle growth progress. I know this is an OVERREACTION to being overweight for so long...but this is where I'm coming from.

The bulk and cut strategy also sounds like it might not be the healthiest thing ever...is there any research out on this?
nothing wrong with not wanting to do a big bulk, it's just the optimal way to gain muscle but you can definitely still gain muscle without a big bulk. I'm not to sure on the research, personally I think losing more than 2lbs per week is unhealthy and gaining more than 5lbs per week is probably unhealthy, definitely having 25+% bodyfat is unhealthy. But thats just my guess, I'm not necessarily sure on what the limits and risks are.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2015, 06:47:21 AM »
Agree with Jeremy, I really haven't heard of anything significant on either end in terms of normal gain and loss. The damage you hear about happens from really hard cuts that end up causing severe dehydration (I remember in high school hearing about a Michigan wrestler dying for this reason, Reese was his name), or from the steroid + stim stacks (like the old school ECA) that rip up your organs and heart (Munzer and that "Zyzz" kid from 4-5 years ago). Excessive long term weight is a problem, but you would be surprised about how healthy an active overweight (think big powerlifters) person can be compared to inactive, less overweight people. I have seen some comparative statistics on this but nothing significant in sample size so probably not enough to sell it on a message board.

Realistically,  doing a really good recomp (adding muscle while cutting fat) without steroids beyond the initial building stages is just god awful slow to the point of being non-productive for most of us. Our bodies, generally speaking, really do not like being too lean as it's against our biological survival instinct. You will hear about people gaining muscle and losing fat, but it's either due to starting out overweight or simply not understanding what 12%/scrawny vs 18%/muscled actually looks like. In my lifting groups the people who have attempted this always end up falling behind in a 6 month time frame.

Overall, your best bet is to get serious about gaining some muscle, then get serious about keeping it while cutting fat slowly, and in half a year you can be carrying quite a bit more muscle and be lean.

Malum Prohibitum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2015, 12:08:36 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily jump to accusations of steroid use right away.

In my 30s, I started eating much more and very strictly following a weight training program.  I was able to add 30 lbs on to my frame (180 - 210) and my lifts went up tremendously over about 8 months to a year.
  The time period posted above was 11 weeks, which is not even three months.  And he supposedly gained over 55 pounds in that extremely brief period.

Trixr606 knows the score.

Anyway, to the poster who asked about diet, please do not load up on all of the sugary crap (milk, bread, PB&J) recommended by Jeremy E.  Those foods are completely unnecessary to building muscle, and your health will suffer for it.  In addition, if I recall correctly, you are older, and in your forties a poor diet (and Jeremy E is recommending a poor diet) goes straight to your waistline.

Eat healthy and gain.  Eggs, oatmeal, chicken breast, rice, broccoli, asparagus, spinach, these should be the building blocks while you are lifting.  See my recommendations above if you are serious.  Feel free to disregard if you are not.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2015, 01:02:33 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily jump to accusations of steroid use right away.

In my 30s, I started eating much more and very strictly following a weight training program.  I was able to add 30 lbs on to my frame (180 - 210) and my lifts went up tremendously over about 8 months to a year.
  The time period posted above was 11 weeks, which is not even three months.  And he supposedly gained over 55 pounds in that extremely brief period.

Trixr606 knows the score.

Anyway, to the poster who asked about diet, please do not load up on all of the sugary crap (milk, bread, PB&J) recommended by Jeremy E.  Those foods are completely unnecessary to building muscle, and your health will suffer for it.  In addition, if I recall correctly, you are older, and in your forties a poor diet (and Jeremy E is recommending a poor diet) goes straight to your waistline.

Eat healthy and gain.  Eggs, oatmeal, chicken breast, rice, broccoli, asparagus, spinach, these should be the building blocks while you are lifting.  See my recommendations above if you are serious.  Feel free to disregard if you are not.
If you eat more calories than you use, you will gain the difference in weight. If the difference is bigger, you'll gain even more weight. Gaining 55 pounds in 11 weeks is an extra 5lbs per week, if your TDE(total daily expenditure) is 3000 calories and you eat 6000 calories per day you will gain about 7lbs per week. I'm not sure what my friends TDE is but it probably averaged slightly more than 3000 during those 11 weeks so he gained 55 lbs in 11 weeks. The way to gain weight is to eat more calories than you use, the way to lose weight is to eat less calories than you use, it's that simple.
What part are you having trouble with?

There is nothing wrong with eating milk, peanut butter, bread, or jam, and I agree it is important to get your daily dose of protein, vegetables, vitamins etc. But for someone who wants muscle growth and wants to run a 500+ surplus, you can get in the essentials + add in things to help meet your calorie goals. Not many people can eat 4000 calories a day of clean food. Easy ways to bulk include whole milk, PB&Js, Oatmeal with Nutella & PB. Someone who doesn't want to gain fat but still wants to build muscle can do a small 500 calorie surplus per day and gain mostly muscle, if your TDE is 3000 and you want to up that to 3500 calories, those other foods are very helpful. Talk to any reputable strength coach and they will say the same. The MOST reputable strength coach, the one who designed the most common novice program that the OP is doing, Mark Rippetoe, often recommends an extra gallon of whole milk everyday while doing his starting strength program(which the OP is doing) If you want optimal muscle gains. This is a bit extreme, especially for older people, I agree. But an extra 500 calories in whole milk(5 cups), I think is acceptable, even though it's an extra 60g of sugar.

Malum Prohibitum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2015, 01:28:16 PM »
There is nothing wrong with eating milk, peanut butter, bread, or jam . . .
  Sugar, sugar, and more sugar . . . Sugar is not a necessary nutrient.

Not many people can eat 4000 calories a day of clean food.
Well, we agree here, but I guess it depends upon what his goals are.  Not many people can save 50% of their income, either.  That does not change the financial advice I give when asked.

Mark Rippetoe, often recommends an extra gallon of whole milk everyday while doing his starting strength program(which the OP is doing) If you want optimal muscle gains.
  Look, no offense here, because I think Rippetoe is a great strength coach, but Mr. Rippetoe is FAT.  I doubt that the poster asking diet advice wants to look like that.  I certainly don't.  Google his name and click on images.  I follow some of his technique advice on lifting, especially videos where he is showing technique, but not his diet advice.

This is a bit extreme, especially for older people, I agree. But an extra 500 calories in whole milk(5 cups), I think is acceptable, even though it's an extra 60g of sugar.
  Holy crap, 60g of sugar?  A Coca Cola has only 39 g of sugar!  LOL!

I think sugar is bad.  I am in my 40s.  I have visible abs, stand 6 feet, and weigh 220 pounds.  When cutting, I remove almost all fruit because of the sugar content.  I think due to my age I have a perspective that is probably valuable to the poster asking for diet advice. 

When I was younger, I followed something looking like your diet advice.  I could bench press 315 for 6 repetitions without the use of steroids, but I did not look as good as I do now.  The difference is in the diet.  Back then I looked smooth.  No cuts.  That is what that diet will do for you.  Make you look puffy and smooth.  No augment here that you can't get strong on it.  You can.  I agree.  I did it.

But I WISH I had known back then what I know now about diet.

I'll let the poster asking diet advice hash out your arguments and mine and decide on his own which seems most appropriate for his own situation.  My recommendation is that increased calories come in the form of meat and eggs.  He should then consume carbohydrates on lifting days sufficient to fuel his training, but only from complex sources (oatmeal, brown rice, fibrous vegetables).

Yep, it is more difficult to eat this way than Jeremy E.'s way, but the results will be so much more worth it.

It's badassity . . .  wink.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2015, 02:30:21 PM »
There is nothing wrong with eating milk, peanut butter, bread, or jam . . .
  Sugar, sugar, and more sugar . . . Sugar is not a necessary nutrient.

Not many people can eat 4000 calories a day of clean food.
Well, we agree here, but I guess it depends upon what his goals are.  Not many people can save 50% of their income, either.  That does not change the financial advice I give when asked.

Mark Rippetoe, often recommends an extra gallon of whole milk everyday while doing his starting strength program(which the OP is doing) If you want optimal muscle gains.
  Look, no offense here, because I think Rippetoe is a great strength coach, but Mr. Rippetoe is FAT.  I doubt that the poster asking diet advice wants to look like that.  I certainly don't.  Google his name and click on images.  I follow some of his technique advice on lifting, especially videos where he is showing technique, but not his diet advice.

This is a bit extreme, especially for older people, I agree. But an extra 500 calories in whole milk(5 cups), I think is acceptable, even though it's an extra 60g of sugar.
  Holy crap, 60g of sugar?  A Coca Cola has only 39 g of sugar!  LOL!

I think sugar is bad.  I am in my 40s.  I have visible abs, stand 6 feet, and weigh 220 pounds.  When cutting, I remove almost all fruit because of the sugar content.  I think due to my age I have a perspective that is probably valuable to the poster asking for diet advice. 

When I was younger, I followed something looking like your diet advice.  I could bench press 315 for 6 repetitions without the use of steroids, but I did not look as good as I do now.  The difference is in the diet.  Back then I looked smooth.  No cuts.  That is what that diet will do for you.  Make you look puffy and smooth.  No augment here that you can't get strong on it.  You can.  I agree.  I did it.

But I WISH I had known back then what I know now about diet.

I'll let the poster asking diet advice hash out your arguments and mine and decide on his own which seems most appropriate for his own situation.  My recommendation is that increased calories come in the form of meat and eggs.  He should then consume carbohydrates on lifting days sufficient to fuel his training, but only from complex sources (oatmeal, brown rice, fibrous vegetables).

Yep, it is more difficult to eat this way than Jeremy E.'s way, but the results will be so much more worth it.

It's badassity . . .  wink.
If you want the increased calories to come in the form of meat and eggs, you are adding a lot to the grocery bill.

Malum Prohibitum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2015, 07:42:53 AM »
If you want the increased calories to come in the form of meat and eggs, you are adding a lot to the grocery bill.
  And this IS the MMM forum!  LOL!  Price matters.  Family of five here, and the grocery bill is $550 a month.  My wife is an expert at finding meat and eggs at the lowest prices.  Her secret weapon is the supermarket chain Aldi, but she goes to wherever she can find the best deals, once every two weeks.

We eat a LOT of chicken and eggs.  November through January, we eat a lot of turkey, because for some reason it is cheaper. We eat very healthily, and my wife is an excellent cook, so life is good.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2015, 08:55:42 AM »
Sugar is not a necessary nutrient, but when the goal is purely more overall calories, then the reference frame is different. Once you hit your core nutrient needs, your body gives 0 shits if the carb chain is simple or complex. Eating sugary food is a really easy way to load calories because it gets processed through faster and doesn't seem to have the same gherlin response. Eating something fatty is going to bog you down from hitting a high caloric load.

Your points are valid but not quite for the purpose of the discussion of gaining a lot of strength quickly.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2015, 09:22:23 AM »
At 43 years old and not doing power lifting for a living, I prefer to choose the healthiest (while affordable) diet possible. After 4 months of SS program, I increased my lifts by 50% on average (from 30% for bench press to 70% for power clean) and my BW increased by 5lb (3%). On top of that, I sleep better and I dont have back pain anymore. The increased requirement of proteins and calories in my diet comes mostly from chicken, fish, oatmeal, olive and canola oil, eggs, potatoes, cheese, PB and almonds. From now, I still need to improve my lifts by another 20% to reach my goal of Intermediate Strength

Malum Prohibitum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2015, 12:22:07 PM »
At 43 years old . . .  and not doing power lifting for a living, I prefer to choose the healthiest (while affordable) diet possible. After 4 months of SS program, I increased my lifts by 50% on average (from 30% for bench press to 70% for power clean) and my BW increased by 5lb (3%). On top of that, I sleep better and I dont have back pain anymore. The increased requirement of proteins and calories in my diet comes mostly from chicken, fish, oatmeal, olive and canola oil, eggs, potatoes, cheese, PB and almonds. From now, I still need to improve my lifts by another 20% to reach my goal of Intermediate Strength
  Sounds like you have it together.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2015, 11:52:39 AM »
I deloaded my Press and my Bench for about 15% couple weeks ago and then, hit a plateau again with only few pounds more. Then, I decided it's time to move from Starting Strength and start Practical Programing. I use the 5/3/1 schedual for the % of 1RM. I discovered 1RM calculators and tried it for many lifts from 3RM to 10RM and it looks pretty consistent and reliable. So, according to this, my 1RM for squat is 325, bench 200, press 140 and DL 370. It is considered anywhere from 40%-70% for a 180lb male, 40-49 years old. If I would try a real 1RM for the big 3, the total should be between 850 and 900. I made a schedual for the next 5 months and keep you updated!

Ironfist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2015, 06:54:15 AM »
I deloaded my Press and my Bench for about 15% couple weeks ago and then, hit a plateau again with only few pounds more. Then, I decided it's time to move from Starting Strength and start Practical Programing. I use the 5/3/1 schedual for the % of 1RM. I discovered 1RM calculators and tried it for many lifts from 3RM to 10RM and it looks pretty consistent and reliable. So, according to this, my 1RM for squat is 325, bench 200, press 140 and DL 370. It is considered anywhere from 40%-70% for a 180lb male, 40-49 years old. If I would try a real 1RM for the big 3, the total should be between 850 and 900. I made a schedual for the next 5 months and keep you updated!

5/3/1 is a great program and my lifts have gone way up since I started it 6 months ago.  Right now my combined lifts are 890 lbs at 187 lbs. BW, not sure what I was lifting when I started but I've definitely made some significant gains.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2015, 11:56:41 AM »

5/3/1 is a great program and my lifts have gone way up since I started it 6 months ago.  Right now my combined lifts are 890 lbs at 187 lbs. BW, not sure what I was lifting when I started but I've definitely made some significant gains.

Did you attempt your 1RM? The closest I went was 5RM then 3RM and then used 1RM calculators. I feel like I am not ready for a real 1RM attempt and it's not usefull for me to take any risk. I just use these numbers because it's the way lifters benchmark.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2015, 01:23:34 PM »
My experience has been that 3 and 5 rep sets don't always indicate what your true 1RM will be.  It's worthwhile to just do a 1 rm now and again if you really want to know.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2015, 01:51:07 PM »
My experience has been that 3 and 5 rep sets don't always indicate what your true 1RM will be.  It's worthwhile to just do a 1 rm now and again if you really want to know.

No doubt my real 1RM could be different than predicted but my goal is just to get stronger over time. If I can lift 175x3RM now and 185x3RM in few months, then 205x3 by the end of 2016, no doubt I will be stronger. No one care about how much weight I can put on the bar.

Since I am on 5/3/1 now, every "cycle" there is a set I can attempt as much reps as I want with about 85.5% of my estimated 1RM. If this keep improving, I'm happy with that!

If some day I feel it and really want to know my 1RM, I'll let you know.

Thank for following and support!

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: January 05, 2016, 01:59:48 PM »
Inspired by MMM article series (back to 2012-2013) about strength, I began lifting weigth this summer. My bodyweight is 175 and I'm 43. My actual lifts after 4 weeks are: Bench 155x5, Squat 215x5 and Deadlift 235x5. This make me a kind of Novice lifter. My goal is to reach the Intermediate level ASAP (before the end of 2015) this mean Bench 195x5, Squat 260x5 and Deadlift 305x5. I am pretty much confident about Squat and Deadlift but it may take longer for the Bench...

My long term goal is to someday reach the advanced level in about 3 years

Actually, I bench 175x5, squat 260x10, Deadlift 305x10 and press 120x6. My bench and standing-press are still under the intermediate mark but they keep improving. BW went from 175 to 180 very fast but BW is pretty stable in the last month.

I follow the 5/3/1 progression wich help a lot to recover. Usually, even if I give everything I got into a workout, 36-48 hours later I feel brand new again and ready to go. Yesterday night, I attempted my max reps for deadlift at 305 (I did 10) and went to sleep 1 hour later. This morning, it's like I just had a walk in the park!

Malum Prohibitum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2016, 12:59:21 PM »
I'm 48, and I do not ever do 1 rep maxes anymore.  I got out my log book and took a look.  Last chest day, I did incline press first, with a barbell, 225 for 6, 6, and 6.  Then I did four sets of incline flies with 40 pound dumbbells.  This was all with the goal of tiring me out so that my flat bench would not be heavy.   My next exercise was bench, which was 245 for 8 repetitions.

I have some shoulder issues that heavy bench pressing seems to aggravate.  I was benching 315 for 6 a few years ago and 275 for 15 repetitions (that would be first up, without tiring myself doing other exercises first).

I do not do back squats anymore, because of my shoulder issue I cannot get my hand in position.  Front squats I recently did 265 for 4 reps, going very deep.

Deadlifts, again, lower back issues keep me in the 275 to 315 range for 6 to 8 reps.  Everytime I go over about 315 (3 plates per side) I end up tweaking my lower back and having to avoid the gym for a while, so it is just not worth it to me to go heavy on deadlifts anymore.

Anyway, it is keeping old age at bay some, and I am still strong enough to garner the respect of even some of the younger lifters.  Also, I look better at 48 than I did in my 20s and 30s (much leaner and more muscular looking).

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2016, 02:23:06 PM »
I gave up on 5/3/1 (at least for a while) because after 1 month, all of my lifts are stuck. I came back on the Practical Programing and alternate all of my lifts with my 8RM, 12RM and 15 RM.

As an example, on monday I would bench 3 sets with my 15RM weigth (12-12-12+) and on friday, I bench again with my 12RM weigth (8-8-8+)

Actually, I feel a lot better and my BW is now close to 185 (started from 175 last july)

My knee bursitis (not related to weigth lifting) is almost gone and I can squat 280 for 8 reps now.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »
I gave up on 5/3/1 (at least for a while) because after 1 month, all of my lifts are stuck. I came back on the Practical Programing and alternate all of my lifts with my 8RM, 12RM and 15 RM.

As an example, on monday I would bench 3 sets with my 15RM weigth (12-12-12+) and on friday, I bench again with my 12RM weigth (8-8-8+)

Actually, I feel a lot better and my BW is now close to 185 (started from 175 last july)

My knee bursitis (not related to weigth lifting) is almost gone and I can squat 280 for 8 reps now.
I think after Starting Strength when you become an intermediate, a great program to switch to is the Texas Method, take a look at it and maybe give it a try if it looks like something you'd like.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2016, 04:26:07 PM »

I think after Starting Strength when you become an intermediate, a great program to switch to is the Texas Method, take a look at it and maybe give it a try if it looks like something you'd like.

Thanks you Jeremy E, I will have a look at Texas Method. Do you think 5/3/1 is for advanced lifters or I gave up to early?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2016, 05:31:19 PM »
5/3/1 is very dependant on your accessory exercises.  I also found that the stuff outlined in Beyond 531 (with the addition of the Joker sets and first set last) worked much better.  It's a very flexible program.  I was able to work it into a full schedule of wrestling and Jiu-Jitsu, later with a couple 70 km bike rides a week while on it.  For it to be effective, you need to figure out accessory exercises that complement the other exercise you get in a week (or that make up for the lack thereof).

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2016, 06:01:42 PM »

Thanks you Jeremy E, I will have a look at Texas Method. Do you think 5/3/1 is for advanced lifters or I gave up to early?
Personally I've never done the 5 3 1 program, however one of the powerlifters I look up to has given a review on the subject,
http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/beyond-531/
The review is about whether it is a good powerlifting routine, so keep that in mind.

MontaniTrout

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2016, 06:41:11 AM »
Le Barbu - Since you hit a plateau have you tried to increase your Macros (Protein, Carbs, Fats)? Sometimes the only way to get stronger is to get bigger. I'm always my strongest when I'm at my heaviest regardless of programming. Eating can be a chore when your trying to stay above maintenance, but it should be part of the plan if you want to reach maximal strength.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2016, 03:54:15 PM »
Le Barbu - Since you hit a plateau have you tried to increase your Macros (Protein, Carbs, Fats)? Sometimes the only way to get stronger is to get bigger. I'm always my strongest when I'm at my heaviest regardless of programming. Eating can be a chore when your trying to stay above maintenance, but it should be part of the plan if you want to reach maximal strength.

You may be right on that one and I am actualy at my max BW ever. I just started the Texas Method and keep eating a lot. I keep in mind that genetic can also be a limit at some point.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2016, 10:02:29 AM »
Fourth week on the Texas Method and it feels great so far (perfect for a beginner to intermediate trainee like me). Plenty of volume, active recovery and intensity!

My BW(184) and lifts keeps improving. I hit the advanced mark  for the squat (295x6 and 270x10) and the deadlift (325x7)

My bench (175x6) and shoulder press (122.5x5) are still below the intermediate mark but I only need another 10% increase to reach my goal.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2016, 10:11:06 AM »
Fourth week on the Texas Method and it feels great so far (perfect for a beginner to intermediate trainee like me). Plenty of volume, active recovery and intensity!

My BW(184) and lifts keeps improving. I hit the advanced mark  for the squat (295x6 and 270x10) and the deadlift (325x7)

My bench (175x6) and shoulder press (122.5x5) are still below the intermediate mark but I only need another 10% increase to reach my goal.
congratulations, glad you're liking the program

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2016, 10:18:23 AM »

Thank You Jeremy!

Rippetoe says this weekly cycling fits perfectly for the one who want to try a saturday meet (just skip the friday "intensity" workout) so I may use this oportunity to test my 3RM and 1RM if I feel it.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2016, 10:25:44 AM »

Thank You Jeremy!

Rippetoe says this weekly cycling fits perfectly for the one who want to try a saturday meet (just skip the friday "intensity" workout) so I may use this oportunity to test my 3RM and 1RM if I feel it.
Nice, if you feel comfortable, you should schedule a powerlifting meet, and tell your friends and family about it and tell them what your goals are. I've found this to be the absolute best way to stay motivated.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2016, 03:38:23 PM »
Smart accessories and variations are the way to blast through plateaus imo. I am not an expert, but my one fairly non mustachian expense is that I pay a powerlifting coach to write my programming. Cycles are usually 10-16 weeks, depending on various factors, and accessories/variations usually change each cycle depending on where I am weak. For example, I used to be weakest on deadlift off the floor. Solution? Deadlift stance box squats and lots of deficit pulls. Now I am weakest at about 3 inches off the floor, so I do more block pulling.

So far, I haven't really plateaued at all and despite being inconsistent with my schedule I have made huge gains with this flexible approach. As of today, I've been with this coach for about 11 months and my deadlift has gone from 305 to 475. Admittedly, deadlift is my best lift by far (tall, long legs/arms, short torso), but I've also put 75 lbs on my bench and 130lbs on my squat over that time. Every time I max at the end of a cycle I am setting solid PRs and I don't see that stopping any time soon (although I know progress will slow as I get stronger).  Anyway, fun thread.Good luck and happy Gainz everyone!

Malum Prohibitum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2016, 10:46:52 AM »

Update?

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2016, 05:17:34 PM »

Update?

Just began week 7 yesterday. My DL and squats are on hold these days because little "incomforts" were recurents. I just reset weights at 60-70% to fully recover. I am confident to come back soon to my PRs in few weeks anyway.

I finaly tried 1RM on shoulder-press and bench to test the 1RM calculators accuracy.

Shoulder-press: 122.5x5 (1RM proxy.141) 125x4 (1RM proxy.139) 130x3 (1RM proxy.140) 135x2 (1RM proxy.142) and then failed the 140 attempt...lack of technique + lack of concentration. I am confident I will be able soon. My goal is to reach the 155 mark some day (for real or calculated from 5RM or 3RM)

Bench-press: 177.5x5 (1RM proxy.204) 190x2 (1RM proxy.200) achieved 200x1 and then failed the 205 attempt but this one was damned close! My goal is to reach the 225 mark.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2016, 10:22:39 AM »
A few weeks ago I watched a 178 lb guy, who has never done power lifting and competes in physique competitions, deadlift 635 lbs. I believe that's the most I've ever seen anyone deadlift in a gym, especially for a 178 lb ripped physique competitor lol

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2016, 06:51:09 AM »
A few weeks ago I watched a 178 lb guy, who has never done power lifting and competes in physique competitions, deadlift 635 lbs. I believe that's the most I've ever seen anyone deadlift in a gym, especially for a 178 lb ripped physique competitor lol

That's quite impressive.  The world record for a drug tested deadlift at 180 lbs is 766.  (http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/records/raw/world)

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2016, 06:30:40 PM »
Today, pressed 6x125, then 1x140, then 1x145

It brings my estimated 1RM to 147 (last PR was 143) and goal is 155!

I still need a 6% increase to reach intermediate level at this lift

Btw, yesterday I got to lift 100x50lb pigs at my job. Easy...

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2016, 08:42:20 AM »
Now, I can bench press 205 and I am confident I can achieve 210 soon. Intermediate level for my BW and age is 225

Press: my PR is 145 actually and I intend to lift 150 on saturday morning. Intermediate level goal of 155 is close now!

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2016, 10:05:49 AM »
I completed week #9 into Texas Method

My lifts improved by another 3-5% over this period and lots of minor issues that were developing are gone now. The volume, recovery and intensity days over a training week fits perfectly with my schedual.

Now, I'm thinking to switch for the "look good at the beach mode" after week #16 in may then come back in september for another 16 weeks stretch. I would make a training plan based on the same core lifts but perform 4 sets of 8 with about 75% of my 1RM or wathever weight I can handle to complete 4x8.

Does some seasoned lifter here ever tried this and do you think it will hurt my long time strength goal?

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2016, 10:32:23 AM »

My lifts improved by another 3-5% over this period and lots of minor issues that were developing are gone now. The volume, recovery and intensity days over a training week fits perfectly with my schedual.

Now, I'm thinking to switch for the "look good at the beach mode" after week #16 in may then come back in september for another 16 weeks stretch. I would make a training plan based on the same core lifts but perform 4 sets of 8 with about 75% of my 1RM or wathever weight I can handle to complete 4x8.

Does some seasoned lifter here ever tried this and do you think it will hurt my long time strength goal?

it's pretty typical for people to cycle off pure strength in the spring and start cutting to look good. Who doesn't want to look good wearing less clothes!!!

It's not a bad idea- I personally get bored with doing the same set/reps- but it's fine- I wouldn't get to hung up on weights and % just keep driving foward- anything 4 x 6- 4x 8 will be okay- you won't see big gains on your lifts- but you'll keep yourself from getting weak then you can jump back into a strength cycle if you want.

I usually only change my diet -and tailor my plans to make the most of my diet- so if I'm bulking November to April- I'll do strength or size- and hammer the hell out of it to make whatever gains I can. - I round out- reverse diet and start a new program knowing I'm going to make NO strength or size gains while cutting- but use a periodization program deigned for powerlifters to try to keep my numbers up.

losing 5 pounds off a lift is acceptable- losing 25 is not- at least for me.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2016, 10:54:49 AM »

it's pretty typical for people to cycle off pure strength in the spring and start cutting to look good. Who doesn't want to look good wearing less clothes!!!

It's not a bad idea- I personally get bored with doing the same set/reps- but it's fine- I wouldn't get to hung up on weights and % just keep driving foward- anything 4 x 6- 4x 8 will be okay- you won't see big gains on your lifts- but you'll keep yourself from getting weak then you can jump back into a strength cycle if you want.

I usually only change my diet -and tailor my plans to make the most of my diet- so if I'm bulking November to April- I'll do strength or size- and hammer the hell out of it to make whatever gains I can. - I round out- reverse diet and start a new program knowing I'm going to make NO strength or size gains while cutting- but use a periodization program deigned for powerlifters to try to keep my numbers up.

JoRocka, you pretty much summerized my plan. A little change after 4 months on the same routine may have some benefits both mental and physical ones. Progress is so tough to get, I would not accept to loose much. I just kept eating a lot for 9 months now and gained about 8-10lb and BF in the 20% zone. Just removing 2-3% would make me look a lot better now because there is some muscle under the skin now!

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2016, 11:08:50 AM »

Your goal is to be intermediate on bench, press, squat and deadlift right? You are just about there. A program that might help you look good at the beach could be Jason Blaha's ice cream fitness 5x5 program. It's a ton of volume and I didn't like running it, but I think it would get you what you're looking for. For me, doing 25 squat reps at 75-80% of my 1rm 3 workouts per week was killer and I just hated it, but it definitely has enough volume to put some muscle on you. You can google it and find it pretty easily. As an alternative, here is a program I did before last summer when I wanted to look good. I'm not an professional programmer, so it would probably be better to go with something from a reputable coach, but I'll show it anyhow.

M (heavy)
3x3-6 squat
2x3-6 deadlift
4x3-6 pause bench
4x3-6 row
2x8 skullcrushers
2x8 curls
2x10 glute ham raises
2x10 good mornings
2xALAP(as long as possible) planks

W (light)
2-count pause Squats 2x3-6
Press 2x3-6
Row 2x3-6
CGBP 2x8
Weighted Chinups 2x8
Power Shrugs 8x1
Static Bar hold 2xALAP (this was just to help with my grip, as I like to use a traditional deadlift grip)
Hyperextensions 2x10
Ab wheel rollouts for 2 min

F (heavy)
3x3-6 squat
2x3-6 deadlift
4x3-6 pause bench
4x3-6 row
2x8 weighted dips
2x8 curls
2x10 glute ham raises
2x10 good mornings
2xALAP planks

I had good results with this program, but it took about 2 hrs to do monday and friday workouts. For the sets of 3-6 reps, I followed weight progression similar to that in PNP2 and PNP3 in programmingtowin. So deadlift and Squat, if you get 5-6 reps add 5 lbs next time, if you get 3-4 reps add 2.5lbs next time, if you get less than 3lbs deload 10%. For bench, if you get 5-6 reps add 2.5lbs next time, if you get 3-4 reps add 1.25lbs next time, less than 3 reps deload 10%. You use the rep amount from your set with the lowest reps. If you choose to do this program, make sure you know how to do all the lifts. A lot of people have too narrow of a grip with CGBP and skullcrushers, and a lot of people try to keep stiff legs during good mornings, all of which can easily cause injuries.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2016, 11:16:10 AM »

JoRocka, you pretty much summerized my plan. A little change after 4 months on the same routine may have some benefits both mental and physical ones. Progress is so tough to get, I would not accept to loose much. I just kept eating a lot for 9 months now and gained about 8-10lb and BF in the 20% zone. Just removing 2-3% would make me look a lot better now because there is some muscle under the skin now!
Maybe I should of read more before I posted that last post. Nothing wrong with cutting, but if you are going to cut, you shouldn't go to a program with more volume, you should go to a program with less volume. You have a lot less energy when you are cutting, so workouts get a lot harder, and if workouts were hard before, and you start eating less and adding volume, you should expect to start failing workouts. Also, it's very important to keep protein intake up during a cut, as it will help you keep more muscle. Protein also satiates you more than carbs or fats per calorie, so on a cut if you eat mainly protein you will feel more full than if you ate more carbs/fats.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2016, 11:31:03 AM »

Maybe I should of read more before I posted that last post. Nothing wrong with cutting, but if you are going to cut, you shouldn't go to a program with more volume, you should go to a program with less volume. You have a lot less energy when you are cutting, so workouts get a lot harder, and if workouts were hard before, and you start eating less and adding volume, you should expect to start failing workouts. Also, it's very important to keep protein intake up during a cut, as it will help you keep more muscle. Protein also satiates you more than carbs or fats per calorie, so on a cut if you eat mainly protein you will feel more full than if you ate more carbs/fats.

By cutting, I just meant stop eating like a pig all the time. I just dont eat clean for months, I just eat a lot. Probably 6-7 of the 10lb I gained were muscle and if I cut back 5lb total I would be happy.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2016, 11:57:17 AM »

heh- I was surprised you suggested that much volume- it was a lot for someone dropping calories.

I found I can JUST run Sheiko when I'm on a deficit without losing to much off the lifts- but it's tough. I had a much mentally more enjoyable time switching to a 2 x a week push pull program when I was training for a half and eating a slight deficit. It's just more manageable.  But I don't like doing that so I don't.

I never FAILED lifts on Sheiko when I was cutting- never. mostly because its' only 9-10 weeks in do you hit 90-100% of your 1 rpm- the other 9-10 weeks you are at 60-80% which is managable on a deficit- it just took FORFUCKINGEVER (2 hrs was pretty normal for a lift) where as my friend can wack through it in about 75 minutes.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2016, 07:56:21 AM »
Week #12 completed on Texas Method, 4 weeks remaining.

Now here is what happen to my press and bench: on weeks #7-8, I was pressing 5x5x110 on "volume day" and benching 5x5x165. This was the most I could handle back then. On "intensity day" my PRs were 1x6x125 and 1x1x145 for the press. For the bench, I did 1x5x180 and 1x1x205. 4 weeks later, "volume day" now means 5x5x117.5 for the press and 5x5x172.5 for the bench wich mean I can now handle 7.5lb more for 5 sets of 5. I suppose I got stronger overall but I cannot improve my PRs for a single set of 5 nor my 1RM on both lifts.

Texas Method brings me a 15lb improvement for both lifts on volume day and a 5lb improvement on intensity day over 12 weeks and I will stick for another 4 weeks before swithching on a summer bootcamp based on 4x8@80%

Filliteracy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Journal to FIRE: Winter is coming (FIRE in Canada)
« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2016, 09:48:14 AM »
I started 5/3/1 in mid February of 2016. I'm a beginner, so currently my PR1 is 272# for squat, 177# for benchpress, 282# for deadlift and 111# for mil. press. My medium term goal is to have my squat + bench + DL PR1 = 1000#. So far so good, linear growth for everything except mil press... I'm doing the "boring but big" sets afterwards, and occasionally a bit of assistance work (chins, dips, dumbbell raises). Good luck with your intermediate strength goals Le Barbu!

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2016, 10:08:28 AM »
I started 5/3/1 in mid February of 2016. I'm a beginner, so currently my PR1 is 272# for squat, 177# for benchpress, 282# for deadlift and 111# for mil. press. My medium term goal is to have my squat + bench + DL PR1 = 1000#. So far so good, linear growth for everything except mil press... I'm doing the "boring but big" sets afterwards, and occasionally a bit of assistance work (chins, dips, dumbbell raises). Good luck with your intermediate strength goals Le Barbu!

Interesting Filliteracy, I really improved my general strength with loaded chins/pull-ups. When my back feel painfull, I skip the deadlift or the power-clean and do 3 sets with a load so failure occurs at 8-10 reps. For the chins, this means 45lb and 35lb for the pull-ups. Back extentions are great to! I workout at home and dont have any facilities for dips but I'm sure it would help a lot.

Did you began with Starting Strength before 5/3/1 ? I was told that 5/3/1 was more like an intermediate to advanced program?

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2016, 10:04:22 AM »

I found I can JUST run Sheiko when I'm on a deficit without losing to much off the lifts- but it's tough. I had a much mentally more enjoyable time switching to a 2 x a week push pull program when I was training for a half and eating a slight deficit. It's just more manageable.  But I don't like doing that so I don't.

I never FAILED lifts on Sheiko when I was cutting- never. mostly because its' only 9-10 weeks in do you hit 90-100% of your 1 rpm- the other 9-10 weeks you are at 60-80% which is managable on a deficit- it just took FORFUCKINGEVER (2 hrs was pretty normal for a lift) where as my friend can wack through it in about 75 minutes.

75 minutes for Sheiko... Maybe if I ran with 50% 1rm as my inputs?

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #147 on: April 20, 2016, 02:50:20 PM »

75 minutes for Sheiko... Maybe if I ran with 50% 1rm as my inputs?

Yeah I was shocked when he said that- at my best I can do 90 minutes and even then I usually feel like I'm missing out on something and or doing cardio.

SyZ

• Stubble
« Reply #148 on: April 21, 2016, 05:03:06 PM »
I haven't been working out for a while but recently started, but my #s seem very odd and I don't know why

I can currently bench 160 max, but my max two handed bicep curl is 110, and 55 with each arm - which seems like very odd numbers. When I went to a gym in my 20s, I would see guys repping 225 + with bench, and then couldn't curl 40 with one arm. So I either have ridiculously strong arms, or a ridiculously weak chest, or I messed up somewhere along the way and I need to get it correct before I continue down the wrong path

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2016, 06:27:27 AM »
The bench press and curl use different muscles.  If you can curl significantly more than you can bench the likely causes are:
- muscle imbalance caused by overuse of isolation exercises like curls (very common - compound lifts are more difficult than isolation exercises, so most people tend to overuse isolation exercises)
- improper technique (cheating) on the curl (this usually comes in the form of arching the back, jerky motion, yanking, etc.)

In the case of the latter, you need to fix your form before you hurt yourself.  In the case of the former, you should completely drop curls from your workout regimen for several months (and possibly permanently).  Replace them with stuff like pull ups and BB rows if you really feel the need.  Focus on weighted dips, overhead press, push press, BB and DB bench press to get the rest of your upper body back into shape.