Author Topic: Homemade Christmas - 2017 Edition!  (Read 55170 times)

innkeeper77

• Bristles
Re: Homemade Christmas - 2017 Edition!
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2017, 04:02:49 PM »
I'm in! We did everything last minute for 2016, and it was good, but we could have spent less and made better gifts if we started earlier. We gave out cookies, and two different tea mixes, one chai and one lavender, in 4oz mason jars.

I am thinking vanilla extract and limoncello for this year, which means I need to start as soon as possible!

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »
I am thinking vanilla extract and limoncello for this year, which means I need to start as soon as possible!

The limoncello doesn't take very long (a few weeks maybe), but the vanilla does need an early start.  I did mine in early October, which was not enough time.  Fortuantely, my vanilla giftee won't be home to use it until March, when it should be ready.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2017, 06:36:34 PM »
I found an idea to make my pot holders even better...  We all love my mom's peanut butter bon bons she makes every Christmas.  I need to have her hand write the recipe for me again (I can't find my copy! :( )  I'll get some fabric made with her writing and the recipe (from Spoonflower), and make potholders for everyone with that.  Just need to come up with a similar short recipe from my dad, then everyone would have a set.

i love this idea.  My Mom has a bunch of recipes that the DIL is asking for - I think an apron with her favourites printed on it would be a big hit.

I made stained glass garden stakes for my best friend, and I have several requests now from family for more.  Those are great, because I can use smaller pieces of glass, and my local supplier gives away anything that is less than 6"x6" for free.  I just have to be patient and check the free box whenever I am in the area.  I work in the garage, so can't start anything until warmer weather (it's Canada - it's cold!), but I am figuring out my patterns/glass now, so I'm ready to go in the spring.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2017, 09:48:26 AM »
PTF, I haven't made my list yet!  I "invested" rather heavily last year in wicker, which takes up a lot of room and is annoying my husband, so I suspect I will be weaving baskets and Christmas ornaments.  Maybe if I get my act together we can make apple butter or beer to fill the baskets.

LMBB

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2017, 03:01:21 PM »
2016 was a spectacular fail in the frugal/homemade christmas department, so I am P2F here for inspiration and to make sure I get started early.

In the past I have made little rice hand warmers/ice packs and they were a BIG hit for my kids. Put them in the microwave for pockets on cold winter days, stick them in the freezer for boo-boos or for hot days.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2017, 05:25:51 PM »
I made granola using an orangette recipe, and spiced cashews using an Ina Garten recipe. I bought mason jars at Ace Hardware and gave in sets of two. Was great for teachers and also for family presents.

Sometimes I give homemade ceramics, but am never sure if the recipients are just humoring me with their thanks.

Will look for some vanilla beans for homemade vanilla. Do folks recommend Costco or online?

Excellent granola recipe:http://orangette.net/2014/04/maybe-hes-right/

Cashews: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/rosemary-roasted-cashews-recipe.html

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2017, 06:37:57 PM »
A few non- food ideas:
For a child:  decorate a large box with child's name on it, fill it with "dress up" clothes, costumes, accessories, etc.   This has pleased ages 2-9.

For girl or boy: inexpensive tool box with good quality (but not necessarily new) couple of screwdrivers, hammer, screws, and nails and a bag of wood scraps to practice on. (Clear with parents first!)

Paper whites (also known as narcissus bulbs). You just put 3-5 of these in a bowl of small rocks a few weeks before Christmas and keep them watered.  Bulbs run $1 each.  I buy the bowls at goodwill or on clearance elsewhere for a dollar or two. 

Especially nice for a grandparent: Make a photo book of pictures of the grandparent and grandchildren, decorate with kid's art.

Type up a journal....my mother had a handwritten journal her aunt wrote of a trip to India decades before.  The writing was spidery, hard to read.  I typed up the journal so my mother could read it easily.

One food idea: a travel bag of food.  A good friend was flying cross country to visit her son last Christmas.  I packed a compact mini picnic (that I knew would get through security) and gave it to her the day before. 

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2017, 01:08:38 AM »
I have my mom's hand-written peanut butter fudge recipe, ready to make fabric!  It was her mom's, so it includes "remove from fire" in the directions (I love that recipe).  Now I just need to get her to copy her two bon-bon recipes for me without letting her know why.  If I can get one from my dad as well, then I'll have a nice set of pot holders for all the grandkids!

I'm also thinking about making small coin purses from selvedges, and maybe even a stocking or two.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2017, 02:10:09 AM »
Great ideas. The fabric recipes will no doubt be beautiful.

In a resolution of preparedness, I will buy ingredients during the year when on sale, and test plus choose new recipes before December. I'm thinking ahead (now) about alcohol that needs time to be ready.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2017, 08:08:04 AM »
I think I'll make Christmas ornaments + cookies for most of the siblings in the family, most of whom have recently moved into their own homes and occasionally spend the holiday by themselves.  Small and stored for the most of the year, so they don't create so much clutter.

I'll do a set of three for each couple: make some in the glass studio, find a pattern for weaving straw hearts and stars, and maybe make a few out of felted wool (got a needle felting kit back in 2003, have never used it!)

Will knit a cardigan for BIL's baby expected this year.

south of 61

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2017, 04:49:44 PM »
Posting to follow

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2017, 05:26:21 PM »
This is a totally great thread and wonderful ideas.

Last Christmas I had a great first start with homemade teacher gifts -- homemade turtles.   Pecans from Aldi, buttered, salted, toasted, caramel and chocolate coating from a candy store and a dash of coarse ground salt on top.  Teachers loved them.  Yay!   I probably made 12 dozen.  It was a few days work.

This Christmas I'd like to do that again and I'd like to expand.  Love some of the ideas here.  Two things I'd like to try making are essential oil room spray and homemade pretty soaps, like with the swirls that you can buy at gift shops for $5 - $6 each.

For the guys, what about homebrew beer or homebrew root beer soda?  I do not know how to make it and it may be supplies intensive, but could be fun.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2017, 06:06:45 PM »
I think I may have posted this on a previous "homemade Christmas" thread:

A few years ago I made cardamom poached chocolate dipped apricots.  I tried to find a recipe online just now, and couldn't find quite the thing. 

But it probably wouldn't be too hard to figure out.  It involved simmering dried apricots in water with cardamom pods (or maybe a sugar syrup - I don't really remember!) then letting them drain, and dipping them in chocolate.  A small plate or container of them seemed pretty decadent, but made an inexpensive gift for neighbours and a few co-workers.  And a nice combination of healthy and sweet!

LMBB

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2017, 07:26:20 PM »
This is a totally great thread and wonderful ideas.

Last Christmas I had a great first start with homemade teacher gifts -- homemade turtles.   Pecans from Aldi, buttered, salted, toasted, caramel and chocolate coating from a candy store and a dash of coarse ground salt on top.  Teachers loved them.  Yay!   I probably made 12 dozen.  It was a few days work.

This Christmas I'd like to do that again and I'd like to expand.  Love some of the ideas here.  Two things I'd like to try making are essential oil room spray and homemade pretty soaps, like with the swirls that you can buy at gift shops for $5 - $6 each.

For the guys, what about homebrew beer or homebrew root beer soda?  I do not know how to make it and it may be supplies intensive, but could be fun.
I am a home brewer, and it is supply and time intensive. It may also take a while to tweak the process until you can consistently make good (gift quality) beer. It is fun though!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2017, 08:57:33 PM »
I found this, http://www.mykitchenmagazine.com/cardamom-poached-apricots-mascarpone-pistachios-recipe/ which isn't quite the same but boy does it look good! Thanks for the excellent idea, PJ.

tortoiseshell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2017, 06:45:55 AM »
I'm in! I knit a fair portion of my gifts as it is, but I'd love to make some other things, AND finish everything on time. *glares at the pile of 2016 knitting left to do*

Goals for this week:
1. FINISH the 2016 knitting, no ifs, ands, or buts (2.5 gifts to go with bulky yarn)
2. Create a knitted gifts 2017 spreadsheets and look through stash for appropriate yarns

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2017, 10:24:23 AM »
How is everyone doing with Christmas 2017 Planning?

What mini-challenge should we set for February? err the rest of February? See this is how time gets away from me every year :)

Paper whites (also known as narcissus bulbs). You just put 3-5 of these in a bowl of small rocks a few weeks before Christmas and keep them watered.  Bulbs run $1 each.  I buy the bowls at goodwill or on clearance elsewhere for a dollar or two. 

I LOVE this idea!

I'm in! I knit a fair portion of my gifts as it is, but I'd love to make some other things, AND finish everything on time. *glares at the pile of 2016 knitting left to do*

Goals for this week:
1. FINISH the 2016 knitting, no ifs, ands, or buts (2.5 gifts to go with bulky yarn)
2. Create a knitted gifts 2017 spreadsheets and look through stash for appropriate yarns
[/quote]

Awesome! How is it going, tortoiseshell?

tortoiseshell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2017, 11:14:13 AM »

Goals for this week:

Awesome! How is it going, tortoiseshell?

It's going pretty well! All three gifts are slippers using this pattern: http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/maggieslippers.html. The yarn is tough on my hands, so I have to take more frequent breaks than I would with other projects. I finished the first pair this morning and am 25% of the way through the second pair.

During this particular break, I am working on my gifts spreadsheet. :D

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2017, 12:04:33 PM »
Wow!  I'm so inspired!  Last year, I knitted one pair of mittens as a gift.  Not a great year, but it's a good place to start. 

I'm hoping to knit a few more gifts this year.  I also would like to make a few gifts throughout the year for hostess gifts. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2017, 12:20:25 PM »
I am totally LOVING the Lego ideas and other pins people are adding to the board! We have lots of lego figures kicking around (lego advent calendars *sigh*) so this would be a GREAT way to use them, melt and pour soap, lego brick molds (which of course, we already have) a figure in the middle. DONE :D

It's going pretty well! All three gifts are slippers using this pattern: http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/maggieslippers.html. The yarn is tough on my hands, so I have to take more frequent breaks than I would with other projects. I finished the first pair this morning and am 25% of the way through the second pair.

During this particular break, I am working on my gifts spreadsheet. :D
Whoot! Way to go!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2017, 12:43:21 PM »
Okay, I have made my spreadsheet!

I also want to add other gifting days such as birthdays, Father's Day, Mother's Day, etc.  before I add the deadlines.

Feeling very uninspired today, just goofing around.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2017, 11:14:03 AM »
Cross posting from the odd chore a day thread with a great idea from one of the contributors for a homemade wreath:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/one-'odd'-chore-a-day/msg1432938/#msg1432938

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2017, 11:41:47 AM »
Cross posting from the odd chore a day thread with a great idea from one of the contributors for a homemade wreath:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/one-'odd'-chore-a-day/msg1432938/#msg1432938

Hi everyone! I'm the person who made the wreath PJ linked to. I'm re-posting a picture of it here, since a few people on the odd-jobs thread suggested this would be a good place for it. It's very easy to make, super cheap, and came out quite pretty, if I do say so myself. To make it:

• cut a donut out of standard foam core (sold in the same place where you'd find poster board), about 2 inches wide. You can vary the diameter depending on how big you want the wreath to be
  • collect a bunch of straight twigs in some nice walks in the park. It looks best if there are a few different varieties of trees in there
  • hot glue (use actual hot glue, not cool hot glue, if you want the wreath to hang outside) the twigs to the foam core donut, alternating the lengths. I put the longest pieces at 12, 3, 6,and 9, and then alternated long and short ones in between.
  • cut long narrow triangles out of felt. I used the 8.5x11 felt sheets we had lying around, and cut the short way, so that each triangle's base is about 1-1.5" and the length is 8.5". Make the sides of the triangles wavy rather than straight - that'll make the flowers look better.
  • roll each felt triangle tightly, putting the narrow end in the middle. Secure with hot glue to the twigs.
  • loop and twist a piece of wire to make the hanger, and hot glue that to the back of the foam core donut.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2017, 02:31:34 PM »

Hi everyone! I'm the person who made the wreath PJ linked to. I'm re-posting a picture of it here, since a few people on the odd-jobs thread suggested this would be a good place for it. It's very easy to make, super cheap, and came out quite pretty, if I do say so myself. To make it:

• cut a donut out of standard foam core (sold in the same place where you'd find poster board), about 2 inches wide. You can vary the diameter depending on how big you want the wreath to be
  • collect a bunch of straight twigs in some nice walks in the park. It looks best if there are a few different varieties of trees in there
  • hot glue (use actual hot glue, not cool hot glue, if you want the wreath to hang outside) the twigs to the foam core donut, alternating the lengths. I put the longest pieces at 12, 3, 6,and 9, and then alternated long and short ones in between.
  • cut long narrow triangles out of felt. I used the 8.5x11 felt sheets we had lying around, and cut the short way, so that each triangle's base is about 1-1.5" and the length is 8.5". Make the sides of the triangles wavy rather than straight - that'll make the flowers look better.
  • roll each felt triangle tightly, putting the narrow end in the middle. Secure with hot glue to the twigs.
  • loop and twist a piece of wire to make the hanger, and hot glue that to the back of the foam core donut.

It's a very pretty wreath - and I don't usually like these things!

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2017, 08:37:19 PM »
What a great thread! I love the one challenge a month idea.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2017, 10:53:29 PM »

I can imagine this as a nice wreath for people who live in apartment buildings, but still want to stick something on their door :-)

Ok, in keeping with the spirit of spreadsheets and monthly goals, and all that organizeded-ness, I have made a little notepad list on my phone of my thrift store finds (see Thift Store Gifts thread too!) and I have just checked the Toronto Public Library holdings to make sure that they have some terrarium themed books.  There are lots, several of which have multiple copies, and a couple are even available online.  So good odds that I'll be able to get a book or two whenever I'm ready to start making the terrariums.  This is a Thrift Store Gift/Homemade Christmas cross-over item.  Glass containers, and probably little figures/toys from the thrift store (I even found a small container of glass "gems" at Sal Army), then assemble myself for the homemade touch.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2017, 09:34:53 AM »
I love the thrift/homemade cross-over, PJ!

My parents live in an affluent community with lots of incoming and outgoing people so their thrift store is AMAZING and not part of a chain so super cheap! Most of our stuff in our immediate family is thrifted if not homemade.

It leads to funny situations like last year. My mom unwrapped a super cute scarf from the thrift store from my sister. I asked her if she got it from the thrift. She said yes. I said: "well I would have just given it to mom, but I couldn't remember if she had given it to me but I don't wear it, so I donated it, and you bought it for her!" That sort of thing happens ALL the time. Now I just drop donations off at my mom's let her and my sister go through them and they donate them after :)

Oh...so my best laid plans got a little changed. Better to happen now than in Dec!

Hubby came home from work super excited about the idea of Tea Advent Calendars but was outraged at the price his co-worker's wife was buying them for. 

So naturally, he wants to make his own. He spent the weekend figuring out the flavours he wanted and cost comparing across suppliers and working out how much it would be per gift for Christmas and who would enjoy it and how we could customize it to the different people we have on our gift list.... I was able to do bring the price down, find some coupons and get some extra cc points. It is well within our cost per gift limit, it is a fun idea which will be appreciated, and we will have a few frugal weekends of crafty time while we make the calendars.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2017, 10:04:37 AM »
A tea advent calendar sounds amazing.   Hmmm.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2017, 11:21:47 AM »
The tea advent calendar is a super idea!  My DIL loves trying new teas, and would be thrilled to get something like that.   

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2017, 12:22:59 PM »
The tea advent calendar is a super idea!  My DIL loves trying new teas, and would be thrilled to get something like that.

I think it will be good, the only hard part will we still need to have a little something for people to open on Christmas, or *we'll* feel like it is not enough. SO I have to work on that, either making some other little things or working on the mindset. Not sure which :)

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2017, 06:04:20 PM »
A chain here had the tea Advent calendars, and also January "New Years resolutions" calendars

The latter each had a separate tea sample and encouraging thought/quote for each day of the week. I'm not sure if it was for the 21 Dayan it takes to form a new habit? (I know the idea of 21 days may not be all that sound, but I digress) . I wonder if it might be a good gift along with a goal-setting planner or sign or other resolution-focused gift.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2017, 06:41:47 PM »
I've been thinking more about the tea calendar.  I would have to ship it, but at least it's light.  I love the countdown.  I've been thinking of making a woodblock print calendar and they would be perfect companion gifts.

But, if I do spend Christmas with family I could do a Christmas detox tea calendar, or could count days until old Christmas or something.

None of those sound as lovely as the original idea. Good thing I've got months to ponder it.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2017, 12:50:45 AM »
I've been thinking more about the tea calendar.  I would have to ship it, but at least it's light.  I love the countdown.  I've been thinking of making a woodblock print calendar and they would be perfect companion gifts.

But, if I do spend Christmas with family I could do a Christmas detox tea calendar, or could count days until old Christmas or something.

None of those sound as lovely as the original idea. Good thing I've got months to ponder it. 

I think a 12 days of Christmas tea calendar sounds like a lovely idea!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2017, 08:26:40 AM »

I think a 12 days of Christmas tea calendar sounds like a lovely idea!

And this is why we should have floated the idea to the group BEFORE buying 25 boxes of tea! Ahh well.

A chain here had the tea Advent calendars, and also January "New Years resolutions" calendars

The latter each had a separate tea sample and encouraging thought/quote for each day of the week. I'm not sure if it was for the 21 Dayan it takes to form a new habit? (I know the idea of 21 days may not be all that sound, but I digress) . I wonder if it might be a good gift along with a goal-setting planner or sign or other resolution-focused gift.

I think that is a nice idea as well. We definitely went with the "Christmas" themed teas, but we are going to do something customized in the calendars as well. Need to ponder what that will be.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2017, 11:27:41 AM »
It leads to funny situations like last year. My mom unwrapped a super cute scarf from the thrift store from my sister. I asked her if she got it from the thrift. She said yes. I said: "well I would have just given it to mom, but I couldn't remember if she had given it to me but I don't wear it, so I donated it, and you bought it for her!" That sort of thing happens ALL the time. Now I just drop donations off at my mom's let her and my sister go through them and they donate them after :)

That is Hilarious!! 

I think a tea calendar is a great idea for my MIL... I'm so glad I joined this challenge.  Meanwhile, I have two days to knit the collar and sew up a birthday cardigan for my son!

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2017, 12:27:27 PM »
Well I know I can do some homemade if I plan ahead.  My sewing lessons might just get more useful. 

Love the ideas so far.  Is there an old Pinterest board or other place with a recap of ideas?  I'm not sure I have the umpf to go through the prior years.....

LMBB

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2017, 01:14:03 AM »
I am totally LOVING the Lego ideas and other pins people are adding to the board! We have lots of lego figures kicking around (lego advent calendars *sigh*) so this would be a GREAT way to use them, melt and pour soap, lego brick molds (which of course, we already have) a figure in the middle. DONE :D

That was me and my kids are going to go ballistic over the Lego soap! They love the movie and I think they are going to find it hilarious. I'm keeping my eye out for a construction worker or a batman at the local thrift shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2017, 10:40:06 AM »
Well I know I can do some homemade if I plan ahead.  My sewing lessons might just get more useful. 

Love the ideas so far.  Is there an old Pinterest board or other place with a recap of ideas?  I'm not sure I have the umpf to go through the prior years.....

Yes, we have a secret Pintrest board. If you PM me your user name (or email) I can add you :)

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2017, 11:04:19 AM »
Oooh, definitely in!  We tried to do this last year, but I've run out of things to make for people, so new ideas are awesome.

I've started making these baby booties as presents, since the only other thing I can make is flannel blankets, and EVERYONE gives you baby blankets and it's ridiculous.

http://www.handmadeintheheartland.com/2016/08/how-to-sew-baby-booties-free-pattern.html?m=1

They're actually fairly straightforward, once you learn how to get the snaps on.  I'm really enjoying having something semi-unique for presents.

You can also use scrapbooking paper to make flowers like that.  I usually just cut out a big spiral (still using the wavy edge technique), then roll from the outside of the spiral to the center.  I love the rest of the wreath look, though!  I've only ever made very simple wreaths like this - twiggy wreath for half off at Hobby Lobby, 4 or 5 flowers of various sizes, a few leafy shapes, and hot glue.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2017, 11:07:04 AM »
My first gift completed!  Thanks to the odd jobs challenge.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2017, 02:00:43 PM »
My first gift completed!  Thanks to the odd jobs challenge. 

Cute!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2017, 03:00:39 PM »
Awesome job, Poundwise!

Our tea came in, I didn't think of the logistics of storing 25 boxes of tea... ahh well!  Now to start figuring out the presentation side of things.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2017, 04:39:33 PM »
Well, I have a few ideas together.

Food items: Cordials, Chai Mix, Salted Caramels, Sour Gummies, Pecan Pralines
Photo Books/Calendars/Etc: not fully handmade, but involves effort
Advents: I like the tea idea, but am also thinking of making some humorous ones.  will also have to look up this new years resolution calendar mentioned in the thread.
Sewing: considering indoor tents for the kids and sleeping bags, maybe hammock chairs as well.  Costumes/Dress Up items always good too, scarves for some of the adults
Plants for neighbors: narcissus idea, maybe succulents or cactus
Lotion Bars and Kids Soaps (with legos or dinosaurs, etc)

I'm sure there will be more, but just wanted to get some ideas posted.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2017, 11:49:59 PM »
I started some more vanilla beans in vodka today. I really need to find a cheap source for beans ... vanilla was $27 at Costco the other day (Canada).

A-train

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2017, 05:45:57 AM »
I started some more vanilla beans in vodka today. I really need to find a cheap source for beans ... vanilla was $27 at Costco the other day (Canada).
How long do you plan on leaving yours in the vodka? I just started some yesterday as well! And yeah, vanilla beans are definitely costly.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2017, 09:09:00 AM »
My boyfriends sister is very crafty and she and I often exchange homemade gifts. I try to give her consumables or items she doesnt have to display all year, as they have two small kids and a smaller house. So I was looking for a unique ornament to make her that would be made from up-cycled items.

Well my boyfriend recently gave me a set of vintage children's alphabet blocks he thrifted and I already had another thrifted set. I did a little googling for inspiration and I will be making some items like these:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:10:37 AM by LindseyC »

wintertell

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2017, 07:58:06 AM »
Joining! I always start trying to make homemade gifts in October, but then time gets away from me. If I do it intentionally now, maybe I'll have much better luck : ). We're living on much less income this year, so I need to be intentional about cutting Christmas costs!

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2017, 11:23:00 AM »
I'm in for this challenge in 2017. I always start thinking about handmade gifts far too late in the year to get anything good done. My sibling and I have talked about doing a "no-STUFF" Christmas, so I'm hoping that will hold for the adults at least.

Hits from the past
For kids:
-Fort kit in a bag. I made this for my nephews once. Thrift store sheets with p-cord ties and and loops tied on, a few clamps,  all wrapped up in a simple flannel bag. I don't think it got a ton of use, but they were excited about it for a while. 
-Freezer-paper stencils combined with easy appliques on t-shirts or onesies. These have been big hits. I like to sketch out silly ideas in simple shapes--robots, dinosaurs, etc.
-We received a homemade "ABC" book with photos from our family, and that was a ton of fun.

2017 ideas
For grandparents: kid-decorated photo album including some cute Q&A with the 4-year-old (what kind of monster do you want to be, what is your favorite thing to do with grandma, etc).

Poundwise, that's a lovely gift! Care to share the pattern? I don't know what to call something like that, and I have one little skein of beautiful yarn that would be perfect for it.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2017, 01:28:34 AM »
How long do you plan on leaving yours in the vodka? I just started some yesterday as well! And yeah, vanilla beans are definitely costly.

I find that I can start using it after 3 months ... but its still quite boozy. After 6 months, its the same as Costco vanilla, except better tasting.

I broke down and bought some Amazon vanilla beans this week. When they get here, I'll go buy some more vodka and get it going in the back of my cupboard. I bake a lot and I'm having to use my boozy vanilla already.

KID: "Mom, these cookies are reeealllly good!"

ME: "Mmmm-hmmmm"

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2017, 09:47:29 AM »
Poundwise, that's a lovely gift! Care to share the pattern? I don't know what to call something like that, and I have one little skein of beautiful yarn that would be perfect for it.

Thanks!  It actually looks much nicer than the photo... I'm really happy at how it came out. Yes, this neckwarmer was done with a single skein of hand-dyed alpaca-merino single ply that I bought on impulse some time ago. It felt like knitting cream, just lovely stuff. I don't exactly have a pattern, but basically, I started with a couple of inches of seed stitch, then about 6.5 inches of stockinette, followed by another 2 inches of seed stitch again. I knit until I was almost out of yarn, then bound off.  I let it sit in a closet for about 4 years :) during which time, my favorite fabric store went out of business :~( but had a big closing sale in which I bought the clasps for about $2.  Finally, I wove in the two ends, wrapped it around my neck at a slight diagonal and used pins to mark where I thought the clasps should go (they will be placed diagonally along the knitting), then sewed them on!

Total time to make: approximately 4 years, 3 hours. Your timing may vary.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:53:50 AM by Poundwise »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!