Author Topic: Homemade Christmas - 2017 Edition!  (Read 36154 times)

MBot

• Pencil Stache
Re: Homemade Christmas - 2017 Edition!
« Reply #250 on: November 30, 2017, 01:05:40 PM »
Used this mulling spice (not an affiliate link, is a Canadian amazon link for any Canadians out there)  + some small craft store baggies + homemade dried lemons to make "simmer pot potpourri." The lemons are more for additional bulk in the bag than to add any real scent.

It smells VERY nice when simmered in a pot of boiling water... about 2 teaspoons to a tablespoon each time... and I've already given two as small gifts. I left out the cranberries for now.

The local gift store sells small cheesecloth-wrapped bundles of mulling spice, so I'm also going to try doing some with gift tags at a craft sale tomorrow - we'll see if it sells any that way. If not it makes more nice gifts!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #251 on: December 15, 2017, 08:57:12 AM »
I'm 3/4ths of the way through knitting these fingerless gloves for a wonderful older lady who does a lot of volunteer work. They are very fast!
http://www.artqualia.com/patterns/Swirling%20Gauntlets.pdf

meadow lark

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #252 on: December 18, 2017, 07:23:54 PM »
I am taking over the stocking stuffer role from my MIL this year.  Everyone will get bags of Snowman poop, the women are getting monogrammed Redneck Yeti's and the men are getting toilet paper (they all have different sayings).  Plus lottery tickets (my SIL is buying) and candy and cookies.
No journal for now.

Freedomin5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #253 on: December 19, 2017, 06:10:08 AM »
DD and I made lavender and rose scented soaps for her teachers. Her class got a gingerbread house to share and gingerbread cookies with homemade icing to decorate as a class activity.

There are some great gingerbread cookie recipes on allrecipes.com.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #254 on: December 19, 2017, 01:12:58 PM »
I made 5 little zipper pouches, using supplies I had on hand, for teacher gifts. I added a $10 gc in each to a local coffee shop, but next year I think I'll just put cheap candy inside. For the preschool teachers (who I know really well, as opposed to the public school teachers), I made Japanese knot bag wine totes and put a bottle in each (4).
That was the extent of my homemade gifts this year, and pretty much the extent of our gifting besides our own kids.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #255 on: December 22, 2017, 09:56:06 PM »
https://draxe.com/homemade-deodorant/

I made little pots of this for some of my adult children's stockings. I've been using it myself for a year and love it! I also made a HUGE batch of granola to give as gifts. It started with 32 cups of oats, 8 cups of coconut etc etc.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #256 on: December 22, 2017, 10:57:38 PM »
I decided to make all the guys a set of hot pads, choosing fabrics that matched their interests (logs, sailboats, and Star Wars), and made little bag/mini purses for the gals.  The guys like to cook, and we all use cast iron, so the hot pads should go over well (the skinny one is for skillets).

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: December 22, 2017, 11:31:12 PM »
Sparky! These are amazing! I hope you have an etsy store as a side hustle! <wink>

Raenia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #258 on: December 23, 2017, 08:17:38 AM »
Finished mixing up a big batch of chai masala and packed it up in cute tins for most of our gifts.  As a bonus, my kitchen smells delicious now.  We also finalized the recipe for a mint tea blend for a relative who doesn't do dairy, I just need to measure out, blend, and package that one this afternoon.  Brandied pears and poached plums in rum are also all done, just need to write up some pretty labels.

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #259 on: December 23, 2017, 08:41:50 AM »
I also did some sewing, making a bag remarkably like sparky’s above for a niece in law, some “sweet pea pods” for the nephews, a rice filled neck warmer for another in law, and a very basic coupon caddy for my mom (not pictured) because she keeps losing them.

That and a few pounds of cinnamon sugar pecans and almonds should keep the family happy.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #260 on: December 23, 2017, 04:43:52 PM »
I made very similar hot pads too! And I kept a couple of for myself as well. It's such a useful gift, they're easy to make from scraps and are easily customised.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #261 on: December 23, 2017, 04:52:42 PM »
I also did some sewing, making a bag remarkably like sparky’s above for a niece in law, some “sweet pea pods” for the nephews, a rice filled neck warmer for another in law, and a very basic coupon caddy for my mom (not pictured) because she keeps losing them.

That and a few pounds of cinnamon sugar pecans and almonds should keep the family happy.

I think we use the same basic pattern :)  I make the pods as well, and use them for coin purses, etc.  I gave those to the people in my quilting group.  I make the lanyards with scrap fabric and batting or webbing instead of zippers though.  Watched the Craftsy class when they had a free day.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #262 on: December 23, 2017, 04:54:23 PM »
Sparky! These are amazing! I hope you have an etsy store as a side hustle! <wink>

Thanks :)  No etsy store though.  I do most of my crafting at work, so can't sell anything I make there, but I did make some stuff on my own time to sell at a bazaar.  Lots of compliments and interest, but people didn't buy much.  Oh well, more gifts for friends and family!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #263 on: December 25, 2017, 07:18:32 AM »
I hope that all the recipients appreciate the thought, time, and work that went into everyone's homemade gifts! 

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #264 on: December 26, 2017, 06:50:24 PM »
This was a very confidence  building project! I totally hand sewed it in a few hours out our leftover jeans for the top and leftover striped cotton for the bottom. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for an easy gift that is really nice looking. I stuffed the fins and topstitched a lot of the main seam.

http://www.allmyfriendsareflowers.com/2013/12/denim-whale-tutorial-printable-pattern.html